Monday Discussion Thread

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
What ya’ll think of Sheffield? He still young, totally abandoned the 4 seamer for a sinker before start of last season. He had already gotten a lot of ground balls so I wonder if it a similar pitch just being classified differently? I havnt seen him enough to know. Got shelled his 1st start but chisox hit lefties so I dunno if that means much? On the other hand o’s sporting a .807 ops vs lhp this year so another tough matchup I think.

Well I knew rain might be a issue in minny, they didn’t even screw around, postponed it quick.

not Rona either. Someone said in VC thread had to do with security issues surrounding Floyd trial? Beats me.
Nope another shooting yesterday in a prevalent suburb, cop intended to shoot taser but shot real gun instead ooooof

My guy Alcontera going tonight once again as a dog and with a 4.5 total hung for ff. He didn’t see Braves at all last year but in 4 starts in ‘19 he held Braves to a collective .488 ops! 2 of those starts were at sun trust park and he only allowed 2er in 11 innings, he did have a issue with control walking 7 guys in those 2 starts but I think that been the one area he needs to improve and has been. He has walked 2 each in both his starts going 6 innings in both, not great but not terrible either, with his stuff I think he can get away with 2 walks per start. Especially with his strikeouts way up being way over a k per inning for 1st time in his career, something that has carried over from spring where he struck out 27 in 20 innings! Braves bats seem to be heating up but they had the advantage of seeing phillies pitchers for a 2nd time in a week. As mentioned they havnt seem alcontera since ‘19 so adv pitcher imo.

I expect Alcontera to be good once again, the issue in this one is figuring out what we gonna get from Ynoa against the weak fish lineup? Ynoa issue has always been control, he still very young so I don’t think it something that can’t be fixed. He had a 28:7 k:bb ratio this spring in 17.1 innings and has only walked 1 so far this season with 1 inning of relief against Philly and a 5 inning start vs nats, if he can continue down this path with better control I have no doubt he can limit the fish batters. Another issue for him being a starter is as of right now he a 2 pitch pitcher with a very good upper 90s heater and a filthy slider. Even with 2 plus pitches it tough to navigate mlb lineups a 2nd and 3rd time without a 3rd option to keep hitters off balance. I think that be a issue when he faces the better lineups in baseball but maybe not so much against the fish who sporting a team ops of .568 against rhp on the year!

ff under 4.5 for me. I lean fish but number has gotten bet down a great deal and they only +105 on the Ff ml. Obviously no interest being involved once pens enter the game as Braves pen been really good while Marlins rank near the bottom the league.

Another pitching rematch in milw. Peralta has looked freaking filthy thus far but walks a huge issue. After a spring where he only walked 3 in 13+ innings he has walked 7 hitters in 7 innings to start the year! He has also struck out 14 in those 7 innings and only allowed 3 singles!! Home runs have never been a issue for him which bodes well against a Cubs lineup that isn’t scoring without the long ball., just a tad scary to play a guy walking so many as one swing could hang a crooked number if it comes after a few walks!! Cubs now sporting a .487 ops vs righties on the year with only 4 hr’s in 187 ab’s! Just can’t see them doing much damage here.

Im not gonna ask bout this Cubs pitcher Azolay anymore! He gives up too much hard contact and his splits vs lefties is really bad w lefties sporting a career .891 ops vs him. He off to a even worse start vs them this year as Brew crew lefties did a bunch of damage vs him last week. With this number getting bet down I like the idea of taking brewers Ff -.5 at plus money.

God help me but think i like another cardinals over! Im ok playing one every now and again like yesterday where it just made sense w de Leon ripe to get tagged but playing another is scary. Very hard to trust cards offense but I don’t see Fedde being a problem for us, he throws primarily sinkers and cutters and doesn’t have anything off speed go get cards off balance! Just seems like the kind of pitcher we will hit.

cards rotation is just ugly compared to recent years, counting on Carlos, de Leon, and Gant is all kinds of not good! Gant was a nice weapon for us out the pen but his velo is way down trying to be a guy who can eat innings, I’m just not sold it gonna work. He was able to sneak his way thru 4 innings without much damage against the hapless fish bats but I don’t see it vs this lineup. Nats have to salivating to see Gant after facing all the Dodgers aces! Huge step down and they should tee off. Even if Gant is decent there no way you can expect more than 5 innings, I like the back end of cards pen but the middle innings leaves something to be desired. The only bad thing for tonight is Webb has pitched b2b days so unlikely we see him which a shame cause he fucking sucks and we go to him way too often!

I’d be kinda shocked if both teams can’t get 4 runs here so over 8.5 for me.

Ugh. Why yelich out the lineup tonight? Just rest? That still 4 lhb to throw out there against Cubs starter but sure woulda liked to see 5 of them!

Tribe as dogs somewhat tempting tonight. Don’t think I can play the Ff under with a couple fly ball pitchers and strong wind blowing out. I ignored that on Saturday and paid for it!! I try not to repeat the same mistakes! Tribe have pretty solid numbers vs left handed pitching this year, I dunno if they be able to hit Rondon if he pitches like he did in his 1st start but he never been all that consistent. Tribe pen been performing better than the chisox pen who has all those power arms but havnt been all that great simply getting outs thus far!!!

Mize clearly has the talent be a number 1 overall pick a few years back but does he finally put it together? Facing off with the ageless wonder Grienke who getting ppl out with a 88mph heater and variety of all other kinds of junk! I’d expect him to keep tigers lineup off guard for 6-7 innings but the Ff under scary with way Stros been swinging the bats to start the year and facing a youngster. Stros bats have been cooked off the last few days but not sure it will continue here?

Damn, San Fran has played to 7 unders in a row! Makes it tough to even think bout a over, especially at that park. No way do I like the under tho, giants got a good lefty hitting lineup and have had success vs Miley. Sanchez velo has dipped a bunch but he still pitched a really good outing vs a good pads lineup in his 1st start!! Almost tempted to play San Fran with that line close to flipping seemingly taking on reds money, reds bats have slowed down the last 2 days in zona and only a few of them have seen Sanchez, in 15 Ab’s castellanos is only 3-15 with no extra bases and 4 k’s.

what you mean?
I reckon they should be dogs in every game going forward this season lol

As bad as I could ever imagine up there and that's a proud franchise. They are years away now w/LA and SD going 1/2 for the foreseeable future in division

I reckon they should be dogs in every game going forward this season lol

As bad as I could ever imagine up there and that's a proud franchise. They are years away now w/LA and SD going 1/2 for the foreseeable future in division

I agree they have no chance in the west but they playing competitive ball right now snd have a lineup full of guys hitting lefties well. Im not a huge Miley fan anyways so gotta figure they can make it a rough night on him. Not real confident what we get from Sanchez but he did hold pads down and reds bats have slowed the last few days in a much friendlier hitters park. This be the 1st time they playing in a pitchers park this year. I think giants little better than a coin flip tonight against Miley.

My friend was thinking about Reds ML today. But I was personally stumped on the game after looking at Giant numbers vs. Miley and Giant numbers this season vs lefties and passed. Anyone have a strong feel for it?

My friend was thinking about Reds ML today. But I was personally stumped on the game after looking at Giant numbers vs. Miley and Giant numbers this season vs lefties and passed. Anyone have a strong feel for it?

I just wrote why I liked San Fran. Hoping line flips, I really like teams books open as favs and get bet to dogs.

Tailed ya on the first 3.
Padres ML
TB-1.5 (might take Dunning to woodshed with their patience, but I could totally be wrong. He had one good outing last time, can he repeat it?)

not knowing bout dunning what kept me off the Ff under for real. Glastnow shouldnt have many problems with rangers lineup. I think rays Ff -.5 made it on one my crazy 7-8 team parlays I did today since I had few bucks left over on a ticket I cashed in from yesterday after putting the plays in, didn’t want to bring a 15 dollar ticket up to window to get paid out, lol.

Back