MLB Discussion thread for April 2nd

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
First glance in the early games, I like Pitt, STL, and Cincy, though it is always tough to back the Reds and my line is getting away from me in Pittsburgh.

MIL is getting no respect, but seems a bit short unless you buy this Mikolas guy based on numbers from Japan and a good spring

Didn’t see a line yet and I’m sure it’s high as he’ll but yanks in day games at home usually a good bet. Maybe their RL and TT over

If I can trust that Harvey has found his form from a couple years ago is ne on Mets at that price, but not sure I can trust him yet.

Can someone tell me something about Brian Johnson and Trevor Richards? I'll admit, I don't have much on either of them. Did Johnson look good during spring training? For some reason I'm really staring down the Under 9 in this game.

Here’s a few things about Brian Johnson:
Johnson, 27, is a native Floridian, hailing from Cocoa Beach. He had a 17-strikeout no-hitter in high school, signed with the University of Florida as part of the Gators' No. 1 recruiting class in the nation and got to the College World Series as a freshman.
He hit .405 as a freshman in 2010 and by 2012 won the John Olerud Award as the nation's best two-way player. The Red Sox drafted him in the first round, No. 31 overall, in 2012, and Johnson made his major-league debut in 2015.
But this year he made an Opening Day roster for the first time. The 6-foot-4, 235-pounder has made six major-league starts in his career, going 2-1 with a 4.88 ERA. Last season, he went 2-0 with a 4.33 ERA, including a shutout.

Trevor Richards
Richards went 12-11 with a 2.53 ERA last year, splitting time between High-A Jupiter and Double-A Jacksonville. He struck out 158 batters in 146 innings.
Richards, who turns 25 next month, doesn't have overpowering stuff. His fastball ranges between 90 and 92 mph, he throws a changeup, and he's working to improve his curve.

I watched Johnson pitch a few times last year, including his shutout, he's ok at best, he was a little lucky in his shutout, wiggled out of several jams. He pitched well in ST though and thus earned a spot until Pom,Eduardo and Wright get healthy when he most likely will head to AAA. He does get to go against the AAA Marlins though so I can see him winning. Boston's bats started to warm up a bit yesterday but not WMISP leaving 11 on base. Don't let the Marlins 2-2 record to start fool you, the Cubs were swinging at everything this weekend and made it easy for the Fish. I glanced at the under as well Dead eye

at first glance

roark at short money vs atlanta....maybe rl as well
zona as a home dog
cws as a big dog
tillman as a huge dog....seriously? balt has pummelled morton both times he has faced them and tillman can deal if he's on albeit hou has owned balt in recent years
may as well start my auto fade of 98 year old bartolo....that has cost me a bunch over time...ha ha
sox have to win a game by 2 one of these day

I was glancing at team payrolls. It is really hard to bet on Oakland, Philadelphia and Miami. Tillman last season had a road ERA of 10.87

Morton faced Baltimore at Baltimore last year 4 runs 2 earned. One other game in 2011. He was a very good home pitcher last year

i

Roark did pitch well April March last year,
Houston last 3 years as a fav of 175 and up 32-9
Davies does seem to have a problem first 2 months. Last season 6.57 ERA 2-2
I do not know much about Lopez but never pitched on turf

Last edited:
In that Pitt game I am reading Minn after a shutout (I assume there was a shutout is 10-4. There is no wind around 30 degrees and both starters are fine in the day. Under?
Lynn is 14-2 last 16 starts on Monday

Last edited:
Pirates have seen Lynn plenty and he's been a complete disaster. Over 1.5 WHIP. Somehow his team is 12-10 in these starts. Bottom line is new team, probably a lesser team, and a bad track record. Minny also a bad day team.

Lynn limited spring but solid in 7 innings. Tallion equally solid and over almost 13 innings. Impressive day pitcher, too, is Tallion.

Lean Rats.

Interested to see this Brewers line up with Yelich at home against a guy who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2014.

Ended up playing all 3 of my early leans from last night. Cards, Pirates, and Reds. Looks like Pirates got steamed even more before first pitch. Looking like good steam early.

at first glance

roark at short money vs atlanta....maybe rl as well
zona as a home dog
cws as a big dog
tillman as a huge dog....seriously? balt has pummelled morton both times he has faced them and tillman can deal if he's on albeit hou has owned balt in recent years
may as well start my auto fade of 98 year old bartolo....that has cost me a bunch over time...ha ha
sox have to win a game by 2 one of these day

Tillman is nothing what he used to be, definitely wouldn't advise you expecting any sort of dealing. 5ip 4r is probably the best he can give

Well all of Lynn's angles pretty much checked out in all of 1 inning. This guy looks finished.

off a very, very short spring, wouldn't give up on him yet (though i can never predict what he'll do)

Lynn is a very below pitcher vs. the Pirates. Only plays for a significantly worse team than the Cardinals last few years.

Maybe he'll have more success in that big park back home.

If the Cubs were any more lifeless today, they’d actually be considered a corpse. They should be down 3-4 runs...Chatwood was awful and their bats are dead. One hit through seven and that could’ve had a play on it. Ah, April baseball...

Is it hard to bet an over after a 1-0 game? I really want to bet the over tomorrow in Cincy but todays game scared me. I should just act like todays game never happened right?

Is it hard to bet an over after a 1-0 game? I really want to bet the over tomorrow in Cincy but todays game scared me. I should just act like todays game never happened right?

Back