Matthysse/Peterson, ATG/Purdy, Mosley/Cano, Povetkin and Lebeved vs Jones

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
May 15
At New York: Andy Lee vs. Daryl Cunningham, 10 rounds, middleweights; Lamar Russ vs. Russell Jordan, 8 rounds, middleweights; Tor Hamer vs. Maurenzo Smith, 8 rounds, heavyweights; Delen Parsley vs. Louis Rose, 8 rounds, middleweights; Neuky Santalesis vs. Aaron Chavez, 4 rounds, junior lightweights; Louis Cruz vs. Michael Carreras, 4 rounds, lightweights; Angel Suarez vs. Eliezer Agosto, 4 rounds, junior lightweights; Jay Rodriguez vs. Andre Ward, 4 rounds, cruiserweights
May 17
At Gatineau, Canada (WealthTV): James DeGale vs, TBA, 12 rounds, super middleweights
At Moscow: Alexander Povetkin vs. Andrzej Wawrzyk, 12 rounds, for Povetkin's WBA "regular" heavyweight title; Denis Lebedev vs. Guillermo Jones, 12 rounds, for Lebedev's WBA cruiserweight title
Lincoln, R.I.: Shelito Vincent vs. Angel Gladney, 8 rounds, female bantamweights; Vladine Biosse vs. Latif Mundy, 8 rounds, super middleweights; Thomas Falowo vs. Tylon Burris, 6 rounds, super middleweights; Rich Gingras vs. Joe Gardner, 6 rounds, super middleweights; Maceo Crowder vs. Paul Gonsalves, 4 rounds, super middleweights; Jon Smith vs. Oscar Diaz, 4 rounds, welterweights; Jesse Barboza vs. Phillip Triantafillo, 4 rounds, heavyweights; Zack Ramsey vs. Robert Brando-Hunt, 4 rounds, welterweights
At Ontario, Calif.: Efrain Esquivias vs. Roberto Castaneda, 8 rounds, junior featherweights; Richard Contreras vs. Victor Sanchez, 8 rounds, featherweights; Giovanni Santillan vs. Jesus Mendez, 6 rounds, jjunior welterweights; Taras Shelestyuk vs. Mario Angeles, 4 rounds, junior middleweights; Rafael Lopez vs. Omar Barefield, 4 rounds, super middleweights
May 18
At Atlantic City, N.J. (Showtime): Lamont Peterson vs. Lucas Matthysse, 12 rounds, welterweights; Devon Alexander vs. Lee Purdy, 12 rounds, for Alexander's IBF welterweight title; Shawn Porter vs. Phil LoGreco, 10 rounds, welterweights; Anthony Ogogo vs. TBA, 4 rounds, middleweights; Haroon Khan vs. TBA, 4 rounds, bantamweights
At Cancun, Mexico (Fox Deportes): Shane Mosley vs. Pablo Cesar Cano, 12 rounds, welterweights; Sergio Thompson vs. TBA, 10 or 12 rounds, junior lightweights; Roberto Manzanarez vs. Oscar Arena, 10 rounds, lightweights
At Trujillo, Puerto Rico (UniMas): Gamalier Rodriguez vs. Alicio Castaneda, 10 rounds, featherweights; Felix Verdejo vs. Corben Page, 6 rounds, junior lightweights; John Karl Sosa vs. Alexis Pena, 6 rounds, welterweights; Levan Ghvamicheva vs. Samuel Santana, 6 rounds, welterweights; Israel Vazquez vs. TBA, junior flyweights; Bernard Lebron vs. Osvaldo Vazquez, 4 rounds, junior welterweights; Fauris Capellan vs. Christopher Rivera, 4 rounds, lightweights
At Washington (gofightlive.tv): Dusty Hernandez-Harrison vs. Eddie Soto, 8 rounds, welterweights; Natu Visinia vs. Phil Brown, 6 rounds, heavyweights; Mike Reed vs. Christian Daniel, 4 rounds, welterweights; Jerry Odom vs. Drew Morias, 4 rounds, super middleweights; Kevin Rivers Jr. vs. TBA, 6 rounds, featherweights; Yurii Polishchuk vs. Charles Natal, 4 rounds, welterweights; Greg Newby vs. TBA, 6 rounds, light heavyweights; Joseph Rector vs. Blair Cobbs, 4 rounds, junior welterweights; Patrick Coye vs. Charles Parker, 4 rounds, light heavyweights; Elton Dharry vs. TBA, 6 rounds, bantamweights
At Zitacuaro, Mexico: Edgar Sosa vs. Giovani Segura, 12 rounds, flyweights
At Legionowo, Poland: Krzysztof Zimnoch vs. Oliver McCall, 8 rounds, heavyweights
At London: "Prizefighter: Cruiserweights III: One-night tournament (all bouts 3 rounds, draw TBA), Wadi Camacho, Nathan Owens, Shane McPhilbin, Hari Miles, Conall Carmichael, Tony Conquest, Neil Dawson, Danny McIntosh

Get this up early. Obviously the most intriguing of the year in Lucas and Lamont. Can't fucking wait. As ususal the red is of interest as a fan or gambler or both.

Lucas @ -210 right now on 5dimes and I think that price is dead on. Peterson talked today about how he wanted to box and knew he had to avoid Matthysse's power but the problem is Peterson is an old school Philly type (from DC) fighter and when he gets hit he wants to hit you twice. This mindset is bad for him but great for us fight fans and I'm hoping he comes right out and pressures Matthysse just like he did in the 2nd half of the Holt fight. Not going to get into really breaking this fight down, I just hope we get to see a fight that's half as good as I know this can be. This is one of those fights you tell that dumbass friend you have who's always talking shit about how boxing is dead to watch if he somehow missed Rios v Alvarado I and II.

FWIW I think Matthysee is the best 140lb fighter on the planet and had him beating both D Alexander and Judah (easily) and if he gets through this fight the proposed Garcia fight in late fall is literally as good a fight as can be made in boxing right now. Personally I'd rather watch that then Floyd v Manny at this point in time but what do I know? I'm no Skip Bayless.

Lucas @ -210 right now on 5dimes and I think that price is dead on. Peterson talked today about how he wanted to box and knew he had to avoid Matthysse's power but the problem is Peterson is an old school Philly type (from DC) fighter and when he gets hit he wants to hit you twice. This mindset is bad for him but great for us fight fans and I'm hoping he comes right out and pressures Matthysse just like he did in the 2nd half of the Holt fight. Not going to get into really breaking this fight down, I just hope we get to see a fight that's half as good as I know this can be. This is one of those fights you tell that dumbass friend you have who's always talking shit about how boxing is dead to watch if he somehow missed Rios v Alvarado I and II.

FWIW I think Matthysee is the best 140lb fighter on the planet and had him beating both D Alexander and Judah (easily) and if he gets through this fight the proposed Garcia fight in late fall is literally as good a fight as can be made in boxing right now. Personally I'd rather watch that then Floyd v Manny at this point in time but what do I know? I'm no Skip Bayless.
Incredible post. I agree with every fucking thing you said. Especially about Lamont being drawn into a slugger....I think he will not be able to help himself...He will have his gameplan, but once he gets touched, he is gonna go in there....his funeral. Cant wait.

After a weekend of no real action besides Ricky Burns lucking out to keep his title while being exposed as a domestic level fighter, we get this fantastic card!

This main event is very intriguing and of course exciting. Garcia, Peterson, and Matthysse make up the 3 best 140 lbers in the world and with the winner of this fight supposedly getting Garcia next we have a lot to look forward to.

The only chance Peterson has is to stay on the outside and box/counter because very few can sit in the pocket with Lucas and fire away. Both times Matthysse stepped up competition he struggled at times though. When his opponents have boxed at a range and countered Lucas' hooks that are at times wide and loopy, they have been able to do damage and bother him. Both Judah and Alexander had success with this strategy throughout their fights whether you thought they won or not. If Lamont can do this I like his chances at winning a decision. He is going to have the faster hands, the better footwork, and overall the better boxing ability. However, like you said, can he keep this up?

If his last fight is any indication he can't, but the Khan fight tells a different story. After going down early to Khan Lamont did fight toe to toe with Khan at times, but for the most part he stuck and moved using his boxer/puncher ability. Khan and Matthysse are not the same fighter obviously, but they both come forward and put on constant pressure through out the round/fight. So IF Lamont sticks to his game plan he should have the same success he had against Amir.

As for my prediction; I see this fight going two ways. Lamont either sticks to his abilities and sticks and moves his way to a decision or he gets into an absolute war that he probably loses. I for one think Lucas's power is a little over rated at the top level. I know he knocked down Zab and Devon, but neither was hurt and Devon's was just a flash knock down. So I don't think he comes out stops Lamont. I fully expect Peterson to go down, but afterwards he wakes up and realizes he has to box. I see this one going the distance with Lamont coming away with the decision after being beaten and bloodied.

Now I get to a fight I have been looking forward to for a long time, well kind of. This fight was supposed to be a great co-main event with the UK's most hyped prospect taking on Devon Alexander. Twice I had travel plans burned by this fight, but it was still going to be worth it in the end. That was until Brook bitched out for the second time and killed the fight. I am going to be blunt here, Devon Alexander is my favorite fighter. And I am aware I am the only person outside of St. Louis that probably claims that. Anyway back on topic, even without Brook this fight should be fun to watch. After talking with Devon and his team several times over the past two weeks I think they are really coming into this fight to impress. I expect the Devon Alexander that dominated Maidana and stopped Urango/Witter to show up and put on a show. Look for Purdy to come forward the entire fight while Devon moves and counters his way to a stoppage win.

IMO with a win Devon will land a fight against Mayweather in September if Floyd doesn't fight Canelo, and I highly doubt he fights Canelo that soon.

As for Cano and Mosley, I just think Shane is too shot to compete. Cano looked impressive against Paulie last fall and if he comes in at that level Shane will simply be overwhelmed.

After a weekend of no real action besides Ricky Burns lucking out to keep his title while being exposed as a domestic level fighter, we get this fantastic card!

This main event is very intriguing and of course exciting. Garcia, Peterson, and Matthysse make up the 3 best 140 lbers in the world and with the winner of this fight supposedly getting Garcia next we have a lot to look forward to.

The only chance Peterson has is to stay on the outside and box/counter because very few can sit in the pocket with Lucas and fire away. Both times Matthysse stepped up competition he struggled at times though. When his opponents have boxed at a range and countered Lucas' hooks that are at times wide and loopy, they have been able to do damage and bother him. Both Judah and Alexander had success with this strategy throughout their fights whether you thought they won or not. If Lamont can do this I like his chances at winning a decision. He is going to have the faster hands, the better footwork, and overall the better boxing ability. However, like you said, can he keep this up?

If his last fight is any indication he can't, but the Khan fight tells a different story. After going down early to Khan Lamont did fight toe to toe with Khan at times, but for the most part he stuck and moved using his boxer/puncher ability. Khan and Matthysse are not the same fighter obviously, but they both come forward and put on constant pressure through out the round/fight. So IF Lamont sticks to his game plan he should have the same success he had against Amir.

As for my prediction; I see this fight going two ways. Lamont either sticks to his abilities and sticks and moves his way to a decision or he gets into an absolute war that he probably loses. I for one think Lucas's power is a little over rated at the top level. I know he knocked down Zab and Devon, but neither was hurt and Devon's was just a flash knock down. So I don't think he comes out stops Lamont. I fully expect Peterson to go down, but afterwards he wakes up and realizes he has to box. I see this one going the distance with Lamont coming away with the decision after being beaten and bloodied.

Now I get to a fight I have been looking forward to for a long time, well kind of. This fight was supposed to be a great co-main event with the UK's most hyped prospect taking on Devon Alexander. Twice I had travel plans burned by this fight, but it was still going to be worth it in the end. That was until Brook bitched out for the second time and killed the fight. I am going to be blunt here, Devon Alexander is my favorite fighter. And I am aware I am the only person outside of St. Louis that probably claims that. Anyway back on topic, even without Brook this fight should be fun to watch. After talking with Devon and his team several times over the past two weeks I think they are really coming into this fight to impress. I expect the Devon Alexander that dominated Maidana and stopped Urango/Witter to show up and put on a show. Look for Purdy to come forward the entire fight while Devon moves and counters his way to a stoppage win.

IMO with a win Devon will land a fight against Mayweather in September if Floyd doesn't fight Canelo, and I highly doubt he fights Canelo that soon.

As for Cano and Mosley, I just think Shane is too shot to compete. Cano looked impressive against Paulie last fall and if he comes in at that level Shane will simply be overwhelmed.
Still the only time ATG has touched the canvass, so I still say Machine has power that is not "overrrated"...Matthysse will be the "dog" in the boxing and speed category for sure vs Lamont

I like ATG. Liked him alot more at 140, but he has built a nice resume'. Why is he your favorite? Just curious. I think Purdy will come to fight, but ATG has shown an iron chin, even though he "looks" like he gets buzzed a bit here and there. The knocks on ATG for me is obviously the Bradley fight, where he "kinda"quit...I know, I know. Also his Sharapova grunting kills me LOL.

Are you in journalism, or a boxing reporter/blog guy? You say you have talked with ATG and the team. If so let us know so we may follow you.

I do not think Devon gets the fight win or lose, but he is on the short list

Yeah Mosley is shot. Cano's resume' is SO thin, but he beat Paulie in many people's eyes....

Good post, bro:cheers:

Still the only time ATG has touched the canvass, so I still say Machine has power that is not "overrrated"...Matthysse will be the "dog" in the boxing and speed category for sure vs Lamont

I like ATG. Liked him alot more at 140, but he has built a nice resume'. Why is he your favorite? Just curious. I think Purdy will come to fight, but ATG has shown an iron chin, even though he "looks" like he gets buzzed a bit here and there. The knocks on ATG for me is obviously the Bradley fight, where he "kinda"quit...I know, I know. Also his Sharapova grunting kills me LOL.

Are you in journalism, or a boxing reporter/blog guy? You say you have talked with ATG and the team. If so let us know so we may follow you.

I do not think Devon gets the fight win or lose, but he is on the short list

Yeah Mosley is shot. Cano's resume' is SO thin, but he beat Paulie in many people's eyes....

Good post, bro:cheers:

True it was the only time he has ever been down, so I will give Lucas that. And I really do think he has good power, I just think some boxing fans paint him out to be a one punch knock out artist like he was against Dallas, but that had more to do with opposition imo.

As for Devon, there's a lot of things that come into account for why I like him. He always fights the best, he's a regional fighter (I live fairly close to St. Louis), he''s great with fans, and he is a pretty good boxer. I get why people were turned off after the Bradley fight, but he has put himself in a good position again and it seems like he has learned from his mistakes.

If it wasn't for the Paulie fight I wouldn't give Cano a chance because he has looked less than impressive before it, but he showed me enough to prove he could handle shot Shane Mosley.

As for me, no I am not a boxing writer or anything, just a big fan that follows the sport pretty heavily. I talk to Devon, his family, and his team all the time on Twitter and Facebook about boxing, so that's where the whole "after talking to him" came from. We aren't friends or anything like that, but we do have actual conversations on boxing and strategy, so when he fights it's the one time I have somewhat insider information to share lol.

I like what you guys have on here. Places like boxingscene and eastsideboxing are so over run with Mayweather and Pacquiao crap all year round it's hard to have an actually conversation without all that crap flooding in.

True it was the only time he has ever been down, so I will give Lucas that. And I really do think he has good power, I just think some boxing fans paint him out to be a one punch knock out artist like he was against Dallas, but that had more to do with opposition imo.

As for Devon, there's a lot of things that come into account for why I like him. He always fights the best, he's a regional fighter (I live fairly close to St. Louis), he''s great with fans, and he is a pretty good boxer. I get why people were turned off after the Bradley fight, but he has put himself in a good position again and it seems like he has learned from his mistakes.

If it wasn't for the Paulie fight I wouldn't give Cano a chance because he has looked less than impressive before it, but he showed me enough to prove he could handle shot Shane Mosley.

As for me, no I am not a boxing writer or anything, just a big fan that follows the sport pretty heavily. I talk to Devon, his family, and his team all the time on Twitter and Facebook about boxing, so that's where the whole "after talking to him" came from. We aren't friends or anything like that, but we do have actual conversations on boxing and strategy, so when he fights it's the one time I have somewhat insider information to share lol.

I like what you guys have on here. Places like boxingscene and eastsideboxing are so over run with Mayweather and Pacquiao crap all year round it's hard to have an actually conversation without all that crap flooding in.
Cool man. We are a small community here. CTG itself is great, but the few boxing guys here are all quality. Look forward to some great convo man and some profits as well

Agree. He aint a Randall Bailey:cheers:

I really like Matthysse, and would love to see him and Danny mix it up next, but I think I may have to play Peterson here as the dog. Just a value play, as I think this one could be real, real close.

Also...about 90% sure I'm going to be on Mosley as a slight underdog. He can still throw the big right hand, and Cano is there to be hit. If Mosley gets to tee off, even shot to shit Mosley can get him out of there.

Jab did Matthyse make it there yet?

Know he had some Visa issues....

I cannot hate on LP play....especially as a dog....just a great fight

What number you get on Sugar?

I really like Matthysse, and would love to see him and Danny mix it up next, but I think I may have to play Peterson here as the dog. Just a value play, as I think this one could be real, real close.
Matty signed with Uncle Al too recently.....

Yes sir. He's there and ready to go.

I don't have anything on Mosley yet. Bet365 has it at Cano -135, Mosley +100.

Also there is a rumor floating around that Lucas may be over weight. I don't put any stock into it, but for those putting money on the fight it might be something to consider. I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow.

All the guys made weight except Lee Purdy who came in over at both chances. So Devon's IBF title will not be on the line tomorrow.

Gonna add Edgar Sosa -110 for a unit.
Was just comin in to ask if anyone was gonna be on Segura LOL

So Segera loses THAT much pop moving in the smaller weights? I lean the other way, wish this bitch was on TV....firstrow sports hopefully

ST%20Helen%20Help.JPG

worse than Pawel...how in the fuck they let that go on?

saw a great one on twitter:

Matthysse's house being broken into shouldnt affect him, he is used to getting Robbed

certainly dont like being oppo the board, but gotta make my plays

Everyone I respect is on Shane....IDK...I just do not thing Shane can fight anymore, throw Cancun in the mix....I may add

Taking Segura at plus money in what I consider a coin flip fight

Want to take the Machine....just not sure I wanna lay it

Back