Looking ahead to 2010

Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, TCU and North Carolina State all will have my attention next season. All have good coaches and good/great returning talent.

agree on NC State definitely....and what about notre dame?

definitely a rebuilding year for them, w/ a lot of young talent that finally showed a lot of speed and maturity in the hawaii bowl... ESPECIALLY claussen who looked excellent.

while it may have been against the swiss-cheese hawaii secondary, he still showed a great level of poise and composure which we had not seen from him all season

adding on to that... they will return claussen at QB

top 2 rb's in allen and aldridge (assuming he stays for senior yr)

top 2 wr's in tate and floyd.

Pitt is done, no Mccoy no team, but supposedly we got a great RB out of NJ, cant remember his name. Pretending that the people that havent declared now arent going to declare

1. Florida (fuck you Tebow you fuck)
2. Texas
3. USC
4. OSU
5. Alabama

I dont know that much about Alabama's recruiting but you have to believe that Saban keeps bringing in more of his players and the team will only get better.

Raymond Graham, he is very good but not sure he has the durability as a true frosh to handle the rock 20-25x a game

Not sure I trust Jefferson at QB just yet...

He looked pretty damn good in that Ga Tech game. They always have the horses and it is damn near impossible to beat them at their house at night when they have someone competent running the offense. Perriloux being a total fuck up and getting the boot really killed them this year, they clearly were not ready for life without him. I think Jefferson can play the role next year that Perriloux did for them, and while I don't think that any SEC team will be going undefeated next season, the schedule lines up nicely for them. Florida and Aubbie at home and on the road against Georgia and Bama teams who I don't think will be nearly as good they were this year.

Sleepers:

Ole Miss- don't they bring everybody (of real significance) but Oher back next year for the most part? The team that I watched play LSU and Texas Tech would give anyone a run for their money. Physical team with a bunch of playmakers.

Oregon - I know everybody hates the West Coast teams on this board, but besides Chung, Johnson (more than capable replacement in Blount), Reed, and Unger they have all that talent coming back and they get USC at home. If they can somehow steal that game, who's to say they can't win the Pac-10 and sneak in?

NCSU - Wilson makes the difference on this team. I don't care who they lose on either side of the ball, the ACC is weak enough that this kid will give every team fits on their schedule. It certainly doesn't hurt that the Atlantic is going to be down next year, with F$U posing the only real challenge to these guys getting to the title game. If Wilson stays healthy (a big 'if'), I see no reason that these guys can plow through their cupcake schedule as a 1 loss team (Cocks, Clemson, and UNC at home, only really tough games are BC and F$U on the road).

Penn St is loaded....

I think Ohio State will be a year away. They lose a ton in the back 7 on defense. On offense they lose three starters on the Oline, both WR and maybe top 3 WR as well.

Also a ton leaving early: Beanie and rumors of Hartline, Small, Coleman, Washington...

They will have a ton of young talent. Back to back top 3 recruiting classes. But this is the first time in a while they've had to replace so much on BOTH sides of the ball. Had a green D in 06 and a green O in 07.

Ohio State will be small faves to win the Big 10, but PSU should be the fave IMO.

They get us at home.

Starting a new QB is never a good thing in the SEC.

Boy did we ever learn that this year. The SEC will be down next year if Tebow leaves. I think Ole Miss may end up being the biggest surprise but GA, TENN, BAMA, AUBURN will all regress significantly from their recent 5-10 year status. If Tebow goes with Harvin then Florida will suffer as well although are much better prepared depthwise than the rest of those teams. LSU is at a make or break juncture. I think we added enough coaches that if LES stays out of it we can make it back. However, picking any team from the SEC in 09 has to be poor odds IMO.
4 in a row is impossible.

If they start strong they will have beaten Alabama (Neutral), Nebraska (Home), and ECU (Away). It would be hard to see them then fade with NCSU, BC, UNC, and Miami all at home and Maryland, UVA, Duke, and Georgia Tech on the road. They will be an interesting team if they can get by Alabama in their opening game.

Lets end this discussion now. The Hokies are going to be NO BETTER next year than they were this year. Sure they were extremely young this year and had some success, but look at how they won games. Got some pretty insanely fortunate breaks through bad reffing at UNC (first time I've ever seen the 'Carolina Refs' not show up for a home game), and barely snuck by GT and UVa, home games they should have lost had it not been for really bad turnovers by their opponents down deep in their territory in the 4Q. While I will fully admit that this team wins with smoke and mirrors year in and year out, they have shown that they CANNOT beat good teams from the major conferences in big games. Georgia, Kansas, LSU, USC, Auburn, etc etc etc. Their cute little high school offense ("OK, Tyrod/Marcus/Michael, you read that one receiver riiiiight there, and if he ain't open, you take off and run, all right?") works against teams that aren't athletic enough to play their zones, but against an SEC team who is fast and swarms to the ball, they've shown that they cannot sustain drives because they are just so vanilla in their playcalling. I give credit to Bud Foster, who cranks out a top defense year despite having no NFL talent ever (outside of his DBs). That D can only hold up to a certain point, though, and it will be tested next year.

VT gets 4 losses next year (Alabama, NCSU, and GT and UVa on the road). They aren't even going to make the ACC championship game. :shake:

Oregon Ducks, there is a good chance they will be favored at home over USC just like two years ago when they beat them up there. Very dark-horse MNC contender.

BYU and Utah lose a lot in the MWC; TCU should dominate that conference next year.

Boise St...well, yeah.

Look out for UNC next year as well as a dark horse candidate to get to a BCS game; Davis has been recruiting very well.

Stewart will do to West Virginia, what Coker did to Miami (Fl).

Preliminary MNC predicition for next year: Florida v Texas

Really, they ought to just put USC in the SEC and let that conference go at it for the MNC. Naturally, I am kidding, but that is the way it seems it should be at the end of the last three years.

We are now down to 7 meaningful football games for the rest of the year :-(

i see bama no better than 9-3, with losses to Vtech, Miss, and LSU

but if trent richardson comes on in that will help. recruiting is going well. i do like the way the QB pos will go. solid older guy with not much PT vs a red shirt Star(literally) athelete vs the stud frosh with all the tools to be a 4 year starter. the job is open apparently. that competition should make all 3 better.

edit: didn't notice all the vtech talk above. i just think the bama offense is going to be horrible to start the year, but probably finish pretty strong. the oline will take time to gel, and the qb play should only get much better throughout the year

The thing that sucks is that everyone's top 5 so far has teams from different conferences and, with the exception of USC and tOSU, won't play each other until the bowls.

We're potentially back to the same BCS mess next year.

RJ, the only year I was convinced the best team was holding the BCS trophy was the year texas won. It's a mess every year...

Even the year 'SC smashed OU, you had an undefeated Auburn sitting on the sidelines.

meaning now its vote two and let them decide it on the field where as it used to be vote 1 after the season is over

SEC boils down to Ole Miss, LSU, Florida, and Bama. Bama will be green at many positions, but I can't count them out with Saban coaching them. Florida will be in the same situation as Bama if Tebow/Harvin gone. This leave OM and LSU. OM returns most except for one of the best OLmen I've ever seen. LSU has the talent, but how long will it take them to adjust to the new coaching? I think next year Corso (and the rest of ESPN) gets his fantasy fulfilled with USC winning it all. Texas should be up there too.

I approach every season picking a champ using a top-down approach (similar to stock selection with my quant shop). This year I thought the champ game would be B12 vs SEC. I obviously pegged that correctly, but it came to choosing the teams from those two conference. I didn't find that process difficult either -- SEC was Florida and B12 boiled down to UT and OU. I told Alex I liked his OU futures bet back in August. Easier said than done as every season will not play out perfectly according to my research like this season. Still, it's fun when you nail something so perfectly that far in advance :)

Wait just a second. I was impressed with Ole Miss down the stretch as anyone else on this forum but lets look at what they are going to lose, starting with Oher at LT, they will lose 2 other OL for a total of 3 OL gone off a good OL..Their top WR in Wallace is gone. On their defense, their DL is deep rotating 8-10 guys a game, Jerry is surely gone. It ramins to be seen who else will be back. Hardy has some issues, Tillman is off a good year. Their secondary was pretty weak this year, it can only improve and they should be improved at LB. Yea, they will be a tough team and they are going to score points behind their creative offense, Snead's ability, and McCluster's playmaking but lets not jump the fence too much this early.The SEC is going to have some issues next yr. In the East you got UF and than everyone else and if Harvin/Tebow/ are both gone, the East isn't handed to them like it is with Tebow back...UGA loses Stafford/Moreno, Tennessee brings in whole new staff and has question marks at QB, South Carolina is South Carolina, UK and Vandy are nothing special either. In the West you have Arkansas who should improve and the get Mallet at QB, LSU loses a lot of talented seniors on both sides of the line, Bama loses its top signal caller and some monsters on the OL, Auburn has complete new staff, Miss St has new staff and sucks. As mentioned above, there is also Ole Miss.

ETG- I would like to get a read on Clemson 2010 and maybe get Timh talking about his terps minus Heyward-Bey. I see the ACC as another compelling year with very entertaining games. Paul Johnson should not be able to sneak up on anyone next year with the option attack, but will still be very difficult to defend on a week to week basis. Miami has some great talent on their squad, if they can only put it together. BC will be losing in my opinion some of the best defensive players, who should make a splash at the next level, #'s 54, 94, and 90. NC - Butch Davis is working wonders with a notorious basketball school. Cuntcliffe may not have won many games, but showed Duke can be competitive with a team that covered some games this year. Virgina- maybe they can stop being Dr Jeckyl, Mr. Hyde. NCST- Russell Wilson University, guy is good, gonna be great. Bud Foster will be ready, will they have an offense and can they go back to playing great special teams? Wake- they will return to the back of the pack. Can they replace the 22 redshirt seniors that started this year (sarcasm). FSU- loosing 5 defensive players for sure, but play 2 and 3 deep. Finally, get rid of Greg Carr. Lose Antone Smith, will be another good returner and 3rd down back, much like Washington (JETS).

Miami is loaded but talent but I need to see more from Shannon on gameday before I'd say they'll be going for a conf championship.

With these back to back classes for both schools though that home and home with Miami and Ohio State in '10-11 should be very competetive.

ETG- I would like to get a read on Clemson.

Well they are going to have some issues as well with the departures of Harper-Davis-Spiller (Maybe)-Kelly-Grisham gone from the skill positions. The OL struggled for them this yr and they did suffer a lot of injuries on that side of the ball and so I expect improved OL play but the offense is going to be different. Willy Korn is very unproven at QB. I could see a scenario where Spiller stays and is a legit 1-2 punch with Jaime Harper. They still got Jacoby Ford at WR but a few of their young guys got to step up for them (Xavier Dye, Marquan Jones). On defense, Bowers should make major strides after playing as a true frosh. Ricky Sapp, I'm not real sure what his plans are, I would think he comes back, if so, that gives Clemson 2 pretty good DE's that are very quick. Kevin Alexander should also be back in that platoon. The LB's were all young this yr, should improve. The secondary will miss Mike Hamlin, Chris Clemmons, and Chris Chancelor. Their secondary was good this yr but it was anchored by 3 seniors. Lets see what Dabo does over a full year, one thing I can say, they will play inspired ball under Dabo and that could be a problem for some teams they play.

I'm no Clemson expert though thats just what I know about them. That other team in South Carolina is the one I know a lot better.

Lets end this discussion now. The Hokies are going to be NO BETTER next year than they were this year. Sure they were extremely young this year and had some success, but look at how they won games. Got some pretty insanely fortunate breaks through bad reffing at UNC (first time I've ever seen the 'Carolina Refs' not show up for a home game), and barely snuck by GT and UVa, home games they should have lost had it not been for really bad turnovers by their opponents down deep in their territory in the 4Q. While I will fully admit that this team wins with smoke and mirrors year in and year out, they have shown that they CANNOT beat good teams from the major conferences in big games. Georgia, Kansas, LSU, USC, Auburn, etc etc etc. Their cute little high school offense ("OK, Tyrod/Marcus/Michael, you read that one receiver riiiiight there, and if he ain't open, you take off and run, all right?") works against teams that aren't athletic enough to play their zones, but against an SEC team who is fast and swarms to the ball, they've shown that they cannot sustain drives because they are just so vanilla in their playcalling. I give credit to Bud Foster, who cranks out a top defense year despite having no NFL talent ever (outside of his DBs). That D can only hold up to a certain point, though, and it will be tested next year.

VT gets 4 losses next year (Alabama, NCSU, and GT and UVa on the road). They aren't even going to make the ACC championship game. :shake:

I never said the Hokies would have a better record next year, but I will continue your discussion. I only commented on another post that claimed they would start strong and not finish well. I just pointed out that their tougher games are at the beginning of the season, so if they made it through those games they should also finish well. The loses that you mentioned that were against good non-conference teams are as follows:

USC 24 VT 13 (2004) USC went undefeated and won the national championship that year. USC needed a phantom offensive pass interference call in the second half to negate a Hokie score. USC came back and win this game in the late third and forth quarter after Adibi tore his bicep and left the game

Auburn 16 VT 13 (2004 Sugar Bowl) Auburn was also undefeated that year.

Georgia 31 VT 24 (2006 Chick-fil-a Bowl) VT was leading by 18 at the half. Georgia recovered an onside kick to win the game.

LSU 42 VT 7 (2007) Game was a night game in LSU and the Hokies were blown out. Who does not lose night games in Baton Rouge? LSU won the national championship that year.

Kansas 24 VT 21 (2007 Orange Bowl) Kansas won this game, they were more prepared than VT and wanted it more. Kansas lost one game this year.

So two of the loses were to the eventual national champions and two loses were to teams that went undefeated. The LSU game aside, all of the games were close. You seem to think that is a team wins by creating turnovers they somehow do not deserve the win. Good teams create turnovers and turn them into points. This is part of the game plan. Play good aggressive defense and make turnovers into points.

I also do not understand why you thank UVA will beat Virginia Tech next year. VT has beaten UVA five straight years and as long as Al Groh is the coach that trend will continue.

You may want to check out some NFL rosters if you don't think VT ever has NFL talent. VT has many defensive linemen and linebackers in the NFL, along with the DBs you mention.

I have no idea how many games VT will win next year, but their only significant loses are Macho Harris and Orion Martin. So their talent will be better, but who knows if this will translate into better record. I think NCSU will have a better offense next year and has a chance to beat VT, but that game is at VT. The Alabama game will also be a good game, but VT catches Alabama in their first of their season after alot of roster turnover. Georgia Tech will be a tough game on the road, but VT usually performs well against one dimensional teams.
:cheers:

Last edited:
Sure UNC is a darkhorse to win it all JP..the average joe doesn't know a lot about them.

I love Vatech. I expect them to be dogs against Bama and win. If they are favored it will be as short favs.

The title will be won by either Florida, Texas, or USC.

:shake:

Who do you think would be the frontrunner?

Florida... followed by USC... then texas?

but like you mentioned texas has a much easier road with the rest of the big12 losing a lot of its stars.

I think its Florida vs Texas. USC loses to much on defense and that defense carried them at times this year.

Texas has a cakewalk of a schedule and the Tim Tebow love will be out of control next year.

Naww, was wondering what you would think as far as preseason rankings?

Texas vs Florida would make for one helluva championship game though. Mmm...

If Tebow stays, Florida is #1.

If he leaves, Texas is #1.

All the other teams I mentioned are just the possible Alabama's of 2009.

Those two should battle it out till the end..but you can never discount USC...they jsut reload.

If TCU can grind out a low-scoring ugly win in the season opener at UVA there is no reason they cannot run the table. They would then need to beat BYU, but I think that is doable. The Utah game will be humorous, TCU will be favored at home by multiple TDs and I will probably lay every one of them. They do figure to start out the season in the top 15 as well. The problem they may run into is that without playing OU or Texas - they run the table, but nobody will care. Not unlike what happened to Utah, but I think they may start off a little higher next year than the Utes did this year.

JGalt and horses, hope you're right about Oregon, but they lose 4 OL starters and other than timing and reps at the QB position I'm not sure there is anything more important to the read-option than offensive line continuity. Nick Reed will be tough to replace too. The season-opener @ Boise will tell us all we need to know.

One more thing, if you look at next year's schedules it appears that 12 games are being played in 13 weeks instead of 14. Most teams will only have one bye as I'm not seeing any games in August and only Hawaii/Wiscy is listed in December.

If TCU can grind out a low-scoring ugly win in the season opener at UVA there is no reason they cannot run the table. They would then need to beat BYU, but I think that is doable. The Utah game will be humorous, TCU will be favored at home by multiple TDs and I will probably lay every one of them. They do figure to start out the season in the top 15 as well. The problem they may run into is that without playing OU or Texas - they run the table, but nobody will care. Not unlike what happened to Utah, but I think they may start off a little higher next year than the Utes did this year.

JGalt and horses, hope you're right about Oregon, but they lose 4 OL starters and other than timing and reps at the QB position I'm not sure there is anything more important to the read-option than offensive line continuity. Nick Reed will be tough to replace too. The season-opener @ Boise will tell us all we need to know.

TCU favored by multiple TD's? Come on dude. Lot of respect for your thoughts typically, but TCU won't be laying two TD's to Utah next year.

Oh sure they will, it will be revenge and Utah won't have an offense. They were marginal this year, next year without a veteran QB they will be helpless against a defense like that. -14 would be my line right now but maybe 10 would be more fair. I'm a situational guy more than a power ratings guy. No doubt the PRs would be closer, but not the outcome.

Army/Navy is actually 12/12 so maybe they will just stretch things further into December. Instead of one August weekend and one December weekend, it may all just get moved back a week. Not sure.

I also do not understand why you thank UVA will beat Virginia Tech next year. VT has beaten UVA five straight years and as long as Al Groh is the coach that trend will continue.

You may want to check out some NFL rosters if you don't think VT ever has NFL talent. VT has many defensive linemen and linebackers in the NFL, along with the DBs you mention.

I have no idea how many games VT will win next year, but their only significant loses are Macho Harris and Orion Martin. So their talent will be better, but who knows if this will translate into better record. I think NCSU will have a better offense next year and has a chance to beat VT, but that game is at VT. The Alabama game will also be a good game, but VT catches Alabama in their first of their season after alot of roster turnover. Georgia Tech will be a tough game on the road, but VT usually performs well against one dimensional teams.
:cheers:

Saying that VPI will beat the Hoos because it happens every year doesn't work for me, sorry. You mention Al Groh, which I can appreciate. One of the worst coaches from any BCS conference in NCAAF. Point taken. However, UVa's adminstration has taken steps towards either fixing what is wrong with this program or getting rid of Groh. That included forcing Groh to elevate Mike London as DC (who we unfortunately let slip away to win a national championship in his first season at Richmond) and then replacing him with Bob Pruitt of Randy Moss/Chad Pennington lore at Marshall to coach the defense. The final step was forcing Al to fire his son as OC, a move that should have been made in 2004. In comes Gregg Brandon, who was fired from Bowling Green (still not sure why) to coach the offense next year. Gregg is an Urban Meyer disciple and is most likely going to be coaching Jameel Sewell (perfect QB for that offense) or potentially Vic Hall, who played QB in the wildcat formation and killed the Hokies in the last game of the year. So we have a big OL with a year under their belt, a stable of great recruits at RB, and our best receiving corps since earlier this decade, and two top coordinators for the first time in Al's regime. Game is in Charlottesville next year and (fingers crossed) UVa will be in the mix to go to the ACC championship game. Injuries aside (could make or break either team), I think UVa finally gets a Hokies team that only plays well when they have low expectations (see this year) and turns into the Chokies when expectations are high (see every big game in 2006). Expectations are going to be high next year and I will actually be surprised if VPI lives up to their hype (which is already gaining momentum).

I'm not talking about guys playing in the NFL for a couple of years on special teams, I'm talking about REAL NFL talent. No Hokies in the Pro Bowl this year and never any drafted high other than the DBs, who have pretty much all been busts. I actually can't think of a Hokie that is a strong contributor for a team other than Eddie Royal (3rd WR) and MeAngelo Hall (Nickel back (hahahahahah!)) I'm trying to think who you are even thinking of in terms of Hokies contributing on NFL teams. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just not coming up with anyone right now.

One team that I believe everyone is going to be quick to write off is WVU. Yes, gone is Pat White but this team should have some good value because people will overstate the loss of Pat White.

Start with the defense first, they return 16 of their top 21 and 8 of the 16 are starters... Their defense played solid all year for them, should be even better next yr, especially the secondary which was young this year and should make a considerable jump.

Now to the offense, Jarrett Brown is the projected starter at QB. He is going to be in his senior season and he has real-game experience. He isn't the deer Pat White is with the ball in his hands but he can still move around and make you respect his running abilities. Brown can also throw the ball. WVU offense is going to look like the offense in the bowl game, they are going to throw it around some and with OC Jeff Mullen in his 2nd season in WVU, I think he has things going on that side of the ball. Devine still gives you explosiveness with his legs on the outside and they have a highly touted RB (Terrence Kerns) who is a bigger back (235lbs) and will be a good change of pace with Devine. At WR, they still got Arnett, Lyons, Sanders, and some more highly touted kids coming in (4* Logan Heastie for the spring). The OL will lose Ryan Stanchek who started 4 seasons and 3 at LT. They return a Senior at LG with Greg Isdaner, Eric Jobe likely at Center and he started the last 4 games, their RG is a vetern and their RT returns. Obviously the biggest lost is replacing the LT but from what I've read, WVU believes it has some talent to fill the open position.

I think WVU will have value, yes, even though the HC sucks balls

Have to get some love in here for the next Shonn Greene. Now with Hill gone he can rack up 1800 yards and 20 TD's. Hopefully Bielema will be able to actually manage a game next year and have the balls to start the RS frosh QB who is loads better than Sherer could ever dream of being. The one, the only John Clay

610x.jpg

Not sure if this was posted but here are the preseason rankings.

Rivals.com 2009 Preseason Top 25
<!--BEGIN CAPSULES-->
florida_statslogo.gif

1. Florida
The Buzz: The potential exists for all 11 defensive starters – and each of their backups – to be back in 2009. And with QB Tim Tebow returning, the Gators will be prohibitive favorites to repeat.
texas_statslogo.gif

2. Texas
The Buzz: QB Colt McCoy's decision to return means the offense again will put up a ton of points – and the running game should be better in 2009. The secondary could be a strength, but the front seven needs some tweaking.
usc_statslogo.gif

3. USC
The Buzz: The defense will undergo an overhaul, from the coordinator down to the players. But the offense could be truly explosive.
oklahoma_statslogo.gif

4. Oklahoma
The Buzz: If quarterback Sam Bradford, TE Jermaine Gresham and DT Gerald McCoy go pro, this ranking will drop. If all three return, OU will battle for the Big 12 – and maybe national – title.
lsu_statslogo.gif

5. LSU
The Buzz: QB Jordan Jefferson's performance in the Chick-fil-A Bowl provides hope that the offense will be more consistent. The linebacking corps needs to be rebuilt.
ohiostate_statslogo.gif

6. Ohio State
The Buzz: You have to figure the coaches will unleash quarterback Terrelle Pryor, which will jazz up the offense. The defense will be fine even without CB Malcolm Jenkins and LB James Laurinaitis.
virginiatech_statslogo.gif

7. Virginia Tech
The Buzz: The Hokies look as if they will be the class of the ACC. The defense always will be good, and if QB Tyrod Taylor becomes a better passer, the offense actually could be dangerous.
alabama_statslogo.gif

8. Alabama
The Buzz: The offensive line could have some questions and there will be a new quarterback, but depth should be better and there are some talented skill-position players on hand.
boisestate_statslogo.gif

9. Boise State
The Buzz: QB Kellen Moore can become a star. If the Broncos can get their front four on defense settled, an undefeated season is within their grasp.
oklahomastate_statslogo.gif

10. Oklahoma State
The Buzz: The Cowboys should have a deadly offensive trio in QB Zac Robinson, TB Kendall Hunter and WR Dez Bryant. The defense, though, has some work to do.
georgiatech_statslogo.gif

11. Georgia Tech
The Buzz: The Yellow Jackets were surprisingly good in coach Paul Johnson's first season, and Year Two in the triple-option offense could lead to big numbers. The defense should be fine.
cal_statslogo.gif

12. California
The Buzz: Jahvid Best may go into the 2009 season as the nation's best running back. Coach Jeff Tedford needs to settle on a quarterback and the linebacking corps must be rebuilt.
pennstate_statslogo.gif

13. Penn State
The Buzz: QB Daryll Clark and TB Evan Royster return, though there are questions about the offensive line, the receiving corps and the secondary. The front seven on defense could be outstanding.
olemiss_statslogo.gif

14. Ole Miss
The Buzz: Coach Houston Nutt changed the culture around the program, and if Tim Tebow goes pro, Jevan Snead will be the best quarterback in the SEC. There is a lot of skill-position talent around him, too.
oregon_statslogo.gif

15. Oregon
The Buzz: The Ducks will need to settle on a quarterback and do some tweaking in the secondary. But the rushing attack again should be the team strength.
floridastate_statslogo.gif

16. Florida State
The Buzz: The defense has a lot of potential, if the coaches can find some safeties. The offensive line actually could be a strength. But the passing attack must improve.
utah_statslogo.gif

17. Utah
The Buzz: The passing game will be a huge question. But the defense returns a lot of key players in the front seven, and the Utes will be able to run the ball.
uga_statslogo.gif

18. Georgia
The Buzz: Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno are gone. But it's not as if the Bulldogs' roster is bereft of talent. The offensive line should be much better, as should the defense.
kansas_statslogo.gif

19. Kansas
The Buzz: On paper, at least, the Jayhawks look to be the class of the Big 12 North. The return of QB Todd Reesing means the offense should be one of the most productive in the nation. But the defense must replace three starting linebackers.
texastech_statslogo.gif

20. Texas Tech
The Buzz: No Graham Harrell. No Michael Crabtree. A rebuilt offensive line. A tougher schedule. And the same old defense.
iowa_statslogo.gif

21.Iowa
The Buzz: Yes, star running back Shonn Greene is gone, but the defense again should be tough. The offensive line should be stout and there still are some good backs on campus.
byu_statslogo.gif

22. BYU
The Buzz: Replacing four starters on the offensive line is the top priority for the Cougars, whose defense should be much better.
notredame_statslogo.gif

23. Notre Dame
The Buzz: Hey, calm down there, all you Irish haters. Notre Dame has talent, the schedule is navigable and a staff shakeup should help on the field.
usf_statslogo.gif

24. USF
The Buzz: One of these seasons, USF will start fast and finish strong. Next season will be the final go-round for quarterback Matt Grothe, who must cut down on his mistakes.
oregonstate_statslogo.gif

25. Oregon State
The Buzz: The Rodgers brothers mean the offense should be fine, and coordinator Mark Banker always seems to find answers on his defense.
Others that received consideration (in alphabetical order): Air Force, Colorado, Houston, Michigan State, Nebraska, North Carolina, Northwestern and Texas Christian.

Back