LIV Tour

Did not realize the DP World (European) Tour had their sanctions overturned last month so the dogs and cats will be playing on the same playground next week at the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth. Should be fun!

Outside of Hideki who didn’t go? Adam Scott maybe?

They’ve taken a pretty good group of golfers thus far.
Not really.

Cam, yes.

Jacko, solid.

DJ is DJ but he doesn't care heavily.

Brooks and Bryson don't turn the needle anymore.

The euros are all over the hill.

Reed? Lol.

Very uninspiring field this weekend.

LOL BAR, PGA Tour was ready to sell us a half dozen of these guys in a couple of weeks at the President Cup as a formidable challenge to the US team.

All those Euros except Westwood are younger than Tiger. Euros are all over the hill but we can't wait to see when a 46 year old poor putting one legged guy turns up again.....ooookayyy

Not really.

Cam, yes.

Jacko, solid.

DJ is DJ but he doesn't care heavily.

Brooks and Bryson don't turn the needle anymore.

The euros are all over the hill.

Reed? Lol.

Very uninspiring field this weekend.

It seems I misunderstood you, my bad.

I thought you meant letdown meaning you had heard of other names that didn't end up going, like Hideki and Adam Scott, after the Tour Champ.

It seems I misunderstood you, my bad.

I thought you meant letdown meaning you had heard of other names that didn't end up going, like Hideki and Adam Scott, after the Tour Champ.
Well, those were rumored...

A few posts here and the general narrative was that a bunch of guys were leaving after the tour champ. That did not happen. The handful that left are very underwhelming (we knew Cam was gone).

Well, those were rumored...

A few posts here and the general narrative was that a bunch of guys were leaving after the tour champ. That did not happen. The handful that left are very underwhelming (we knew Cam was gone).

I thought what was said in here pretty much did happen outside of a couple of guys. Were you expecting 15-20 guys leaving?

I thought what was said in here pretty much did happen outside of a couple of guys. Were you expecting 15-20 guys leaving?
I would have expected a lot more with the rhetoric. Lots of "wait until after the fedex cup" along with LIV chatting about just how many top 40 agents were calling and begging to join but there just wasn't room....

Evidently plenty of room though for the likes of Lahiri, Leish, Tringale, HV3

Cam and Neimann are legit....they move the needle IMO so kudos to LIV (especially international) but clearly the PGA was able to stand ground pretty well here keeping Deki and Cam Young at a minimum as part of the rumored departures. I kind of expected at least one surprise name that mattered....that didn't come close to happening.

Has LIV announced who's getting cut?

Why do they need to cut anyone?

The latest news is they’re expanding in 2023 14 tourneys, possibly up to 25 (along with Asian Tour events), are making the teams permanent for the entire season (as opposed to changing weekly as they do now), and may introduce a relegation/promotion system to the league.

Why do they need to cut anyone?

The latest news is they’re expanding in 2023 14 tourneys, possibly up to 25 (along with Asian Tour events), are making the teams permanent for the entire season (as opposed to changing weekly as they do now), and may introduce a relegation/promotion system to the league.

They only allow 54 players per tournament and seems like 15-20 guys have joined since it started

That same amount of guys gotta get cut no?

Well, apparently no…as they just outlined in that article.
Relegated is essentially getting cut

Theres also a zero chance that any of the big names get relegated

I'm not even saying it as a criticism, just that a lot of guys are at risk now of not being able to play in every tournament, which hurts their earnings

Relegated is essentially getting cut

Theres also a zero chance that any of the big names get relegated

I'm not even saying it as a criticism, just that a lot of guys are at risk now of not being able to play in every tournament, which hurts their earnings

That’s why it sounds like they’re incorporating the Asian Tour. There are 11 events players can play. There’s also nothing saying they can’t increase their fields for next year. This all seems pretty fluid, and not nearly as rigid as some are making it out to be.

That’s why it sounds like they’re incorporating the Asian Tour. There are 11 events players can play. There’s also nothing saying they can’t increase their fields for next year. This all seems pretty fluid, and not nearly as rigid as some are making it out to be.
They can't do the shotgun start if they raise the field which is supposed to be one of the big draws

They can't do the shotgun start if they raise the field which is supposed to be one of the big draws

They could go to groups of 4, which adds 18 golfers right off the bat. And again, who is saying it has to stay as currently constructed?

I think the shotgun start would be way down the list of “draws” for the players.

My guess is, and this has been mentioned by golf guys for awhile as a possibility so it's not an original thought

They eventually make the team thing real with 18 of them

As in Mickelson owns a team. That team can only start 3, but maybe they have 5 or 6 guys on it. Up to the team to choose which 4 depending on tournament

So they end up kinda like f1 with a constructors championship

So eventually 18 teams, probably want big companies to own them eventually and run it

They could go to groups of 4, which adds 18 golfers right off the bat. And again, who is saying it has to stay as currently constructed?

I think the shotgun start would be way down the list of “draws” for the players.
It doesn't.

If it's not in some ways different though, it's not going to draw

Especially with the fields they have now, and if of the 25 tournaments, players only need to play 14 total

It doesn't.

If it's not in some ways different though, it's not going to draw

Especially with the fields they have now, and if of the 25 tournaments, players only need to play 14 total

Only 14 of the tournaments will be LIV events. The other 11 tournaments are Asian Tour events.

My guess is, and this has been mentioned by golf guys for awhile as a possibility so it's not an original thought

They eventually make the team thing real with 18 of them

As in Mickelson owns a team. That team can only start 3, but maybe they have 5 or 6 guys on it. Up to the team to choose which 4 depending on tournament

So they end up kinda like f1 with a constructors championship

So eventually 18 teams, probably want big companies to own them eventually and run it
I think that's where they're headed, yes. Saw rumors that Adidas was interested in owning a team.....would not be hard to envision except they need to work out the money aspect. Saudis are willing to eat losses for this, businesses would want to see more return. Although the worldwide nature would be more lucrative than US only.

They only allow 54 players per tournament and seems like 15-20 guys have joined since it started

That same amount of guys gotta get cut no?

There’s also only 48 guys per event right, not 54?

So even the shotgun start they use isn’t at full capacity, so they can add 24 golfers just by going 4 per group and the shotgun start.

I think that's where they're headed, yes. Saw rumors that Adidas was interested in owning a team.....would not be hard to envision except they need to work out the money aspect. Saudis are willing to eat losses for this, businesses would want to see more return. Although the worldwide nature would be more lucrative than US only.
Ya, red bull is one that sticks out, even though they arent a golf company they have an f1 team and multiple European football teams

It'll be interesting to see if they can really get the team element to fly. That's the key and that's their main separator from other tours.

Also, the fact they only need to play 14 of the 25 events means that 48 number is meaningless as everyone won’t be playing every week. My point about the Asian Tour events was also in relation to the number of players…those fields are bigger so more guys can play and have it count towards their 14 events.

To the guys point in his tweet about the amount of golf…14 of those events are still only 54 holes so no matter how you slice it, it’s less golf.

It'll be interesting to see if they can really get the team element to fly. That's the key and that's their main separator from other tours.

By making the teams permanent, at least for the season, it should make it more interesting than having the teams change every week.

LIV 2023 plans have leaked out:
  • February: Florida (Course TBD)
  • February: California (Course TBD)
  • March: Tucson (Dove Mountain or the Gallery)
  • April: Australia (Sydney or Queensland)
  • April: Singapore (Sentosa)
  • May: Washington (Week after PGA Championship, Course TBD)
  • June: Philadelphia (course TBD)
  • July: London (Centurion)
  • July: Spain (Valderrama) Week before the Open Championship
  • August: New Jersey (Bedminster)
  • August: West Virginia (The Greenbrier)
  • September: Chicago (course TBD)
  • September: Toronto or Mexico (course TBD)
  • September: Florida (Trump Doral)
Masters is 4/6-4/9 so I would think the April tourneys would be 4/21-4/23 and 4/28-4/30
Greenbrier is a former longtime PGA Tour course. Phil had sponsorship connections there.
Surprised to see no Boston event.
No Saudi event next year is also interesting.

I like the honesty, but in reality his gripe about the distraction is completely on the PGA Tour and the media. None of the LIV guys are commanding the attention or trying to distract anyone, they're just there to play golf. The ENTIRE distraction has been created by the PGA Tour...if they didn't keep talking about it, and the media didn't keep bringing it up, there would be zero "distraction."

This is kinda silly. He played a bunch of PGA events before making the switch and giving his reason, so the number of tourneys this year will obviously be higher than it will, say next year when he only plays LIV events.

If the same is true next year, then there may be a point…but even still the LIV events are one less round so one less day a week, so he will clearly be playing less golf and be away from his family less than he was this year, or any year in the past when he only played PGA events.

This is kinda silly. He played a bunch of PGA events before making the switch and giving his reason, so the number of tourneys this year will obviously be higher than it will, say next year when he only plays LIV events.

If the same is true next year, then there may be a point…but even still the LIV events are one less round so one less day a week, so he will clearly be playing less golf and be away from his family less than he was this year, or any year in the past when he only played PGA events.
LIV does pro ams.

The week isn't really all that shorter.

He's playing 5 straight events in September when school is back in.

These guys wanted the money , and that's fine. The guise of doing it for family time is BS.

Remember, a lot of these guys want PGA Tour cards still. That puts them at 29 min events to satisfy both tours.

Again, the point here is these guys are all about a money grab. That's it. No issues. Just stop with the BS.

LIV does pro ams.

The week isn't really all that shorter.

He's playing 5 straight events in September when school is back in.

These guys wanted the money , and that's fine. The guise of doing it for family time is BS.

Remember, a lot of these guys want PGA Tour cards still. That puts them at 29 min events to satisfy both tours.

Again, the point here is these guys are all about a money grab. That's it. No issues. Just stop with the BS.

Which is why I said let’s see what the schedule looks like next year. If the PGA isn’t allowing them cards (which is what they said) he won’t have to play any extra events to get a card he can’t have. Unless the PGA changed their minds already?

One less round an event is still one less day a week no matter how you slice it. Let’s wait for it to play out before passing judgment is all I’m saying. I know, such a radical idea these days.

Which is why I said let’s see what the schedule looks like next year. If the PGA isn’t allowing them cards (which is what they said) he won’t have to play any extra events to get a card he can’t have. Unless the PGA changed their minds already?

One less round an event is still one less day a week no matter how you slice it. Let’s wait for it to play out before passing judgment is all I’m saying. I know, such a radical idea these days.

Oh, they won't be having cards in all likelihood.

Guys like Reed will be grinding on Asian Tour.

Oh, they won't be having cards in all likelihood.

Guys like Reed will be grinding on Asian Tour.

He might be, but until that happens it doesn’t seem fair to act like he’s playing as many, or more events, than he did as a PGA player when this season he played on both tours. If he does, then absolutely someone should call him out.

He might be, but until that happens it doesn’t seem fair to act like he’s playing as many, or more events, than he did as a PGA player when this season he played on both tours. If he does, then absolutely someone should call him out.
That's fine.

Just funny he's devoting all this time to golf this month.

Patrick is one of the bigger turds in sports, so this is on brand.

Back