Lets talk a little Association as we enter March...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
March brings the madness but it also brings pro basketball starting to get serious a little bit...

This is more a thread for some general discussion and whatnot as we gear up for the postseason... so here are some random thoughts in no particular order...

Jayson Tatum has had an unreal February. He is averaging over 30 ppg and has been straight up studly the last 3 games of this road trip. It feels like the all-star berth has him playing to a new level. This will be exciting to watch as the playoffs unfold.

Speaking of the Celtics...this division race with the Raptors will be fascinating. There is a big difference in the top 6 of the East and the bottom 2. Winning the Atlantic is crucial to a much shorter 1st round series in all likelihood. They have one more match-up in T-dot in around 3 weeks.

Let me jump back to who Boston just played...Utah. This team is in an absolute free-fall right now. They had the impressive stretch in the middle of the season when the schedule was pretty light. This 4 game losing streak since the break all at home is very concerning. Luckily they get the Wizards, Cavs and Stons in 3 of the next 4 games to hopefully breath some life into them. We shall see though. They have won 4 of their last 13 games overall. The defense is playing awful, and that is usually a staple of past Jazz teams. This doesn't look good.

Our favorite team to hate once the postseason hits, the Houston Rockets, have switched things up in order to make a move in the post-season. It is an interesting strategy and so far is working pretty well. The two losses are a game without their heart and soul this year (Brodie) off the win in L.A. and the buzzer beater from Bogie vs the Jazz. Otherwise, they are playing well and Harden looks healthier than he did back a month ago. I don't have much faith in them getting more than one series win if any but it is fun.

Speaking of the Western Conference, that last seed is up for grabs and that will not be the Memphis Grizzlies. This was a great story for the first few months but they are tailing off now and have a very hard schedule coming home. They play the Hawks twice and the Knicks once. That is it, those are the easy games. This team has plenty of playoff appearances coming up but they are leveling off and won't be able to hold on to that spot with the Pelicans and Kings surging.

The NBA obviously would love to see Zion n Company get that 8th seed so they play the Lakers. The story lines are great and it would be a fun series...

Kudos to the Thunder. They seemingly just keep getting better and better this season. They will be a pain in the butt for whoever they play in the first round. Obviously it would be fitting to see a series pitting them against the Clippers. Once again, great story lines.

Speaking of the Clippers...nice of them to go ahead and start the season this week with two very nice defensive performances. I do love the Kawhi interview after the Memphis game in which the reporter(Dennis Scott?) asked if maybe they would start playing in more games to get some continuity and he basically avoided that question at all costs. I loved it personally. You might as well play some back-to backs. There are none in the playoffs and you get so much rest during the playoffs. Either way, they are showing what they are capable of. They are deep and if they can get PG13 to start playing his caliber of ball then they have something cooking perhaps.

Things are getting tight in the land of tank. For what it is worth, I do not know who has traded what draft picks but we have a four way tie for 2nd least amount of wins at 17. Golden State obviously leads the pack at 12 and Detroit is right outside at 19. Always remember these situations for games in late March and April.

I went this long without talking about the best team in the league...The Milwaukee Bucks. This team is on a pretty historic pace and they rarely get talked about. If their jerseys said 'Golden State' they would be much more hyped (and obviously other big markets). Their differential is 12.2. That is disgusting. At one point early in the season they were 6-3 overall. Since that point, 44-5. They still have a game at the Lakers and play Boston/Toronto twice more each. The schedule isn't conducive to getting to 70 wins but a few kicks in the teeth before the playoffs is probably what they need. This a damn good team. As well as Boston is playing and as tough as Miami/Toronto are.... this is the class of the East.

We can discuss LeBron and LeBrow anytime you want. My main concern there is the lack of a guy who can create for themselves on the perimeter outside of James. I also do not think they have enough outside shooting to get through 4 rounds of the playoffs unscathed. We shall see...

Alright, lets make this an open discussion anything NBA related...looking ahead on bets....to the playoffs...whatever.

MVP Race...

1-A Janice
1-B LeBrom

Speaking of OKC......think they have the best ATS record so far.......was lucky to get on them last month and ride a few games and their overs

We can discuss LeBron and LeBrow anytime you want. My main concern there is the lack of a guy who can create for themselves on the perimeter outside of James. I also do not think they have enough outside shooting to get through 4 rounds of the playoffs unscathed. We shall see...

I concur.

They don't have enough scorers on that team. It's the Twin Towers and that's it.

I used to think HOU could beat them in the playoffs, but HOU went small for some reason. They'll live and die with their guards. It's not like they'll run into 2 great big men in the W.C. I still think it's a coin flip series, but HOU is on the wrong side of the coin flip now.

The Clippers will beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. Leonard will hinder James enough and the Lakers won't get enough secondary scoring.

Thanks for typing that up. I enjoyed reading it.

I concur.

They don't have enough scorers on that team. It's the Twin Towers and that's it.

I used to think HOU could beat them in the playoffs, but HOU went small for some reason. They'll live and die with their guards. It's not like they'll run into 2 great big men in the W.C. I still think it's a coin flip series, but HOU is on the wrong side of the coin flip now.

The Clippers will beat the Lakers in a 7 game series. Leonard will hinder James enough and the Lakers won't get enough secondary scoring.

Thanks for typing that up. I enjoyed reading it.
Appreciate the response and discussion.

Yes great write-up, BAR! Now, as far as tonight, is Clippers/Nuggets under 219.5 going to fly?

Yes great write-up, BAR! Now, as far as tonight, is Clippers/Nuggets under 219.5 going to fly?
Well, Denver always is a team I feel more comfortable under that over. The Clippers defense has been much better this week... Let's see if they actually have a full lineup again tonight. This does feel like a 110-103 kind of game.

I’m skeptical of the Clippers , are they just going try and gel during the playoffs ? There is like zero precedent for that. How heathy is PG?

Kawhi is so so good

I’m skeptical of the Clippers , are they just going try and gel during the playoffs ? There is like zero precedent for that. How heathy is PG?

Kawhi is so so good
This team is gelling nicely.

Win or lose vs the Lakers on Sunday they are still the favorite in that series. You have 3 absolute ball-hawks on perimeter once playoffs come around and they have defended Davis well the first two games.

No one else in the West matters at this point...(cont)

Quick West thoughts...

Houston obviously won't always shoot as bad as tonight but things do not get easier vs good teams in the playoffs. They are a step below, despite what some short-term analytical numbers are saying currently. Westbrook will give them more heart in a series when things get tough but this system isn't getting through several tough rounds.

Denver has an awful coach and it continues to show. I really hope they make a change after the season but the problem is they are in no mans land right now being a very solid regular season team. How do you fire the coach? His misusing of MPJ at times is mind-boggling.

Utah is a lost cause, they'll lose in the first round.

OKC is going to give someone 6-7 tough games methinks. I am not a fan of some of their wasted offensive sets but there is a lot to like here.

Memphis, despite my thoughts, is still holding strong.

Nola, is not making a push and is losing games they should win or had a great chance to win vs superior competition(Dallas last night).

Sacramento seemingly is starting to push but they really need to win their home games and every game vs teams under .500. Tonight, they are off to a rough start vs Philly in a game they must win.

Yeah they have been awesome the last week( Clippers ) or so

that’s going be a great series

Yeah they have been awesome the last week( Clippers ) or so

that’s going be a great series
It is something we have never seen in the NBA....

I mean...Knicks n Nets in 1st round back in 80's and 90's a few times plus Lakers and Clippers played sometime in the 90's I believe in a 5 game set...but the buildup for this is going to be absolutely tremendous.

Do you think anyone can beat the Bucks in a 7 game series in the East ?
No.

I can break down the East, real quick as of today (my opinions could change weekly but not by much).

Orlando and Brooklyn are just fill ins for playoff spots. They are almost 1st round byes for Milwaukee and winner of Atlantic.

Philly is inconsequential.

Indiana is nice, and will be a team that can advance to 2nd round and go 6 games there but that is it.

Boston doesn't have the depth. I do love their chemistry with Aunt Drew gone...so much better (he is an absolute cancer).

Toronto is a good team and well coached...bottom line...

The series with Boston and Toronto in the 2nd round is going to be fantastic and HCA is crucial for two reasons. One, you get Orlando or Brooklyn 1st round. Two, both have tremendous homecourts and this has the potential for 7 games.

Milwaukee will get by Indiana (and obviously Philly) in the 2nd round within 6 games(less vs Philly). They are going to be fresh coming into the ECF's and will get a TOR/BOS winner off what should be a grueling series.

When it gets to that point, I just do not see Milwaukee losing. They will have HCA and have such a versatile team. The series will be good vs either but Milwaukee advances.

Back