Kobe Bryant RIP

I’ve heard several people compare Kobe’s death to 9/11. That’s absurd
Interesting, hadn't seen that anywhere. It should be where it should be, one of the bigger sporting deaths of a current or just into retirement sporting figure of our time. It's probably the biggest. As far as what some dimwits put on SM, there is no comparison. This is 9 lives compared to thousands. One was an accident, one was not.

wrong guy that died is being celebrated. there, i said it.
You didn't have to say it, the few people on this forum(and shitloads on SM) made their point already as expected. The ones who should be celebrated the most are the 3 children, then the women and then the men. The thing is, this is a local story that maybe gets a small amount of national coverage (because it's in that area) unless one person owns the aircraft and was in it.

Yeah, there’s a whole bunch of them out there. It seems odd that anyone wants to see it, what would be odd if they weren’t out there?
Yeah there are plenty out there. The fact that they are still recovering bodies (3 on Sunday) and the terrain is not helping makes me happy we don't see more detailed pics. I'm good there.

I’ve heard several people compare Kobe’s death to 9/11. That’s absurd

Maybe in terms of perceived impact? Kobe dying hit a lot of people hard. But of course there‘s no comparison. One expresses a threat to our country, to us, and killed way more (American) people. I don‘t want to minimize the importance of sports and sports legends. But they receive way too much uncritical adulation. And no, it‘s not because of what they do for communities. Literally nobody worships philanthropists.

Interesting, hadn't seen that anywhere. It should be where it should be, one of the bigger sporting deaths of a current or just into retirement sporting figure of our time. It's probably the biggest. As far as what some dimwits put on SM, there is no comparison. This is 9 lives compared to thousands. One was an accident, one was not.

acfually I’ve seen this outside of social media. The ringer NBA podcast (not Bill Simmons - he actually did a really good podcast that was very reflective). And NBA Tv host said something along the lines of like 9/11, we will all remember this day.

while I am sad about Kobe’s passing some people need to really hold up and put things in perspective

acfually I’ve seen this outside of social media. The ringer NBA podcast (not Bill Simmons - he actually did a really good podcast that was very reflective). And NBA Tv host said something along the lines of like 9/11, we will all remember this day.

while I am sad about Kobe’s passing some people need to really hold up and put things in perspective

Is the comparison they’re making here with 9/11 simply one of “you’ll remember where you were when you heard” just like 9/11, the Challenger, JFK assasination, etc?

Because to me that’s accurate, and isn’t comparing it to 9/11 in a way that’s disrespectful or anything at all. They aren’t saying the impact is the same, they’re just saying it’s one of those moments where you’ll remember where you were when you found out.

Yeah there are plenty out there. The fact that they are still recovering bodies (3 on Sunday) and the terrain is not helping makes me happy we don't see more detailed pics. I'm good there.

I’m good there as well. I just found it strange that it if pics weren’t out there it was somehow odd. Odd how? Odd because of the time we live in, or odd because there’s some conspiracy that it didn’t happen or something crazy like that? Who the fuck wants to see pictures anyway? I find it odd the pictures are so readily available and some want to see them.

I admit I’m one of those that wants to see them. I find that sort of stuff interesting for a variety of reasons. I remember seeing the Chris Farley death pics the CPD took and being fascinated with the last moments of notable people. Weird I know.

I admit I’m one of those that wants to see them. I find that sort of stuff interesting for a variety of reasons. I remember seeing the Chris Farley death pics the CPD took and being fascinated with the last moments of notable people. Weird I know.

I can understand that, nothing wrong with it either. I guess I just found the comment that it was odd there weren't pics (there are) a bit disturbing. Whether it's because someone wanted to see them, and so quickly after it happened, or because someone thought it wasn't real and needed the pics to prove it.

I can't help but feel bad for his other daughters the more time goes on. Obviously because they lost a dad and sister, but also because all they're hearing about now is how special kobe and gigi's relationship was. when you're a kid and dealing with immense loss, I can't imagine how hard it is to possibly deal with feelings like jealousy or anger too. And even if the younger ones are being shielded from the media (or just too young to understand like the infant), eventually they'll see these things and be a part of events where everything is about dad and gigi, and not dad and them.

I can't help but feel bad for his other daughters the more time goes on. Obviously because they lost a dad and sister, but also because all they're hearing about now is how special kobe and gigi's relationship was. when you're a kid and dealing with immense loss, I can't imagine how hard it is to possibly deal with feelings like jealousy or anger too. And even if the younger ones are being shielded from the media (or just too young to understand like the infant), eventually they'll see these things and be a part of events where everything is about dad and gigi, and not dad and them.
Thought same, its gotta be tough for 17 year old to hear that. Its clear they may have had a special bond over basketball but to think KB didnt have special bond with 17 year old because she didnt play bball is being overplayed. I get what you're saying and thought same. I dont care if my son is Yag, hates sports and likes to stare at art all day, we will always have a special bond, no matter if I have three other kids who all love and play sports like I do. Tough stuff.

if this is how the world mourns with Kobe dying...what about MJ?? I know different era and all but damn....get perspective. i get he is younger, just retired and fresh in this generations mind but still.
maybe Lakers Staples should rename their home BBall floor to "Kobe's Court" but logo...hard no

As a father, couldn't fathom the loss of a child so for me the sadness of the situation is more on the fact of the kids dying, half family's gone... remaining parents/kids left with an emptiness they will never replace. losing a child will send you down a spiral that you never get over.

Last edited:
Agree.

I did see a video though where he described his oldest as a good volleyball player, so hopefully she can remember that. But yeah gonna be tough.

some non-graphic ones..pretty large debris field

i guess these are i assume fire/access roads...more for emergency personnel then hikers/bikers

1580232337841.png1580232357961.png1580232388725.pngView attachment 45282
1580232456449.png1580232608548.png

Trying to figure out how it was a good idea when police and media helicopters were grounded due to fog.
Surely, ATC would give some kind of guidance.

if this is how the world mourns with Kobe dying...what about MJ?? I know different era and all but damn....get perspective. i get he is younger, just retired and fresh in this generations mind but still.
maybe Lakers Staples should rename their home BBall floor to "Kobe's Court" but logo...hard no

As a father, couldn't fathom the loss of a child so for me the sadness of the situation is more on the fact of the kids dying, half family's gone... remaining parents/kids left with an emptiness they will never replace. losing a child will send you down a spiral that you never get over.
Think it’s how he died. Everyone knew he used a chopper in LA, etc.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I try and video /photograph all the weird stuff happening above my house in Glendale,CA. Unfortunately this morning I didn’t realize I was filming the helicopter Kobe Bryant, his daughter and others were in 31 minutes before they crashed . RIP <a href="THEIR ONLY DREAMS on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/8zdiplvEbv</a></p>&mdash; THEIR ONLY DREAMS (@theironlydreams) <a href=" ">January 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kobe Bryant helicopter crash timeline. Photo / Supplied/news.com.au

Here's why I like the idea of changing the logo.

It's been Jerry West for a long time. Kobe was drafted by him. West is still around to "ok" this. And KB24 is a lot more reflective of NBA star today than Jerry West is.

He's huge overseas... etc. etc.

I like the idea but it won't happen.

I figured the Staples center. And I think it's kind of crazy that 80k people want to be there.

I think it’s odd it would be outside, but if there’s even a chance Staples can’t hold the people they have to have it at the Coliseum. Doesn’t need to be 80k people either, just more than Staples can hold and they have no choice.

I think it’s odd it would be outside, but if there’s even a chance Staples can’t hold the people they have to have it at the Coliseum. Doesn’t need to be 80k people either, just more than Staples can hold and they have no choice.

no, they don't have to have it at the Coliseum if they think more than 20k will want to be there. The family doesn't owe strangers shit. They always have a choice. I believe there will be a private funeral at his church, too.

no, they don't have to have it at the Coliseum if they think more than 20k will want to be there. The family doesn't owe strangers shit. They always have a choice. I believe there will be a private funeral at his church, too.

It would just be chaos if they couldn’t fit everyone into Staples. I’m sure they’re simply trying to avoid that.

I realize the family doesn’t owe strangers anything, and yes they’ll have a private funeral as well so the decision is going to be based on number of people they think will attend and trying to avoid a nightmare situation. If they really felt they didn’t owe anyone anything, they’d just skip the public service don’t ya think?

I also wasn’t even saying they HAD to have it at Coliseum if more than 20k wanted to be there, just saying that it doesn’t mean 80k will be there, and if they figured it was over 20k it made more sense logistically.

It would just be chaos if they couldn’t fit everyone into Staples. I’m sure they’re simply trying to avoid that.

I realize the family doesn’t owe strangers anything, and yes they’ll have a private funeral as well so the decision is going to be based on number of people they think will attend and trying to avoid a nightmare situation. If they really felt they didn’t owe anyone anything, they’d just skip the public service don’t ya think?

they'll set up a ticket lottery or something and only allow people with tickets in. it's not like people are going to start rioting at kobe's funeral lol

also have heard that they might do a procession through the city. in that case, many more people can pay respects along that route.

they'll set up a ticket lottery or something and only allow people with tickets in. it's not like people are going to start rioting at kobe's funeral lol

also have heard that they might do a procession through the city. in that case, many more people can pay respects along that route.

Not rioting. Jesus, we are on two completely different ideas here. I just meant the chaos around the Staples Center if they were going to have more people than wanted to attend. Traffic, people everywhere, etc. I didn’t once think riots. Lol.

The NBA on TNT has just been perfect tonight. They are always the best produced sports related show on TV, but it’s on another level tonight. Listening to Jerry West, the fucking logo, talk about Kobe is absolutely heart breaking. He looks like he’s been crying since he found out, and probably has. Good god man, this is something else to watch.

And now with Rick Fox and Derek Fisher...man, these dudes are as human as any of us have ever seen them in this moment. Kenny Smith talking about thinking Rick Fox was also on the helicopter was tough to watch.

Yeah I don't know if I've ever seen something like that Jerry West segment. Wow. And hearing from those guys, including Rick Fox, about the misreporting. Lordy.

Yeah I don't know if I've ever seen something like that Jerry West segment. Wow. And hearing from those guys, including Rick Fox, about the misreporting. Lordy.

But the worst thing to me going forward is that no one in the media will even listen, and every one of those ass hats will still rush to be first instead of being accurate and respectful.

Back