Kobe Bryant RIP

Trying to figure out how it was a good idea when police and media helicopters were grounded due to fog.
Surely, ATC would give some kind of guidance.
Talked to a pilot today, said this is 110% on pilot. In those conditions he shouldn’t have been flying period and if he really wanted to risk it he must file a flight plan based on the fog. I didn’t get all his terminology but he insisted it’s on the pilot for being overconfident and completely irresponsible. He said “the guy must have had a death wish”

Also said about zero chance they knew it was going to happen so no final words as they couldn’t see a thing with fog.

Last edited:
But the worst thing to me going forward is that no one in the media will even listen, and every one of those ass hats will still rush to be first instead of being accurate and respectful.

just curious but which media reported that rick fox was on the helicopter? I saw it on twitter by a bunch of unverified sources and I saw it here but I didn’t actually see the media reporting that. Just want to know so I can be aware to avoid those kind of sources going forward

We know abc news, who have now acknowledged there incorrect report said that all 4 daughters were on board. The way the reporter said it made it sound so factual too. I think that reporter should legitimately be fired. I don’t blame the network as much because the reporter was just on the phone and said it.

just curious but which media reported that rick fox was on the helicopter? I saw it on twitter by a bunch of unverified sources and I saw it here but I didn’t actually see the media reporting that. Just want to know so I can be aware to avoid those kind of sources going forward
All I saw was a rando tweeter account ...it could be as simple as that. Unfortunately, in today's world too many people have voices... And things can spread like wildfire. Literally a media outlet could of picked up on some Joe Blow. It happens all the time now.

All I saw was a rando tweeter account ...it could be as simple as that. Unfortunately, in today's world too many people have voices... And things can spread like wildfire. Literally a media outlet could of picked up on some Joe Blow. It happens all the time now.

yeah I just didn’t see any media outlet actually reporting it so I was curious why we are blaming reporters. By the way, I think media has always reported things wrong (look at jfk, people were getting shit just as wrong a day later as we are getting wrong today). I think that’s just the business of journalism.

I’m not sure which media outlet reported it, but what are you hung up on only the Rick Fox aspect of it? In their haste, the media (ABC, then CBS ran with it for a minute among others) said all of Kobe’s daughters were with him. My overall point remains, the media by and large (social media as well) is more concerned with being first than being accurate.

I’m not sure which media outlet reported it, but what are you hung up on only the Rick Fox aspect of it? In their haste, the media (ABC, then CBS ran with it for a minute among others) said all of Kobe’s daughters were with him. My overall point remains, the media by and large (social media as well) is more concerned with being first than being accurate.

Rick Fox was in the air at the same time. That's why it was trending on sm.

fair enough

Holy shit, this is one of those things where you’ll always remember where you were..what you were doing when you heard the news. Tragic. When it comes to any type of flying accident, odds of survivors are always so low.

The one and only time anyone ever said that to me was when I was just about to enter a betting agency: an old guy (named Bob, big on horse betting, more than likely dead himself by now) was just exiting the place, and stopped me before I got to the door and said to me, just remember the time and place you're at right now, because you'll never forget it: Princess Diana just died. It was a unusually warm late afternoon in winter, and I still recall the moment with ease, even though Diana didn't mean zip to me personally. Won't remember anything like that here, just the bajillionth instance of sitting in front of a comp screen and taking a brief moment away from one's focus to switch to a news site to see what the latest was. RIP Kobe & Gianna. Thought Shaq's initial tweet was the most moving thing I've read (always liked the big man - prob my fave NBA player when not caring about what shirt was being worn), and for me it's really Kobe's surviving kids I feel most for at the moment. To lose a parent is one thing, but a sibling as well? Tough work their Mom has ahead of her.

Last edited:
I’ve been a lifelong Lakers fan. My earliest memories are of a super young Magic and Kareem. This has pretty much been beyond comparison to anything this fan base has ever experienced. I remember being in disbelief when I thought we were gonna lose Magic over the HIV retirement. This is way beyond that. The mood in Southern California is hard to describe. I have had conversations over the past few days with more strangers about Kobe than I ever have. I honestly had no idea what he meant to the Lakers fan base, the NBA and myself personally until Sunday. All that and I’m an enormous Lakers and Kobe fan. He still meant more than I thought. If Magic was and is the heartbeat of LA, Kobe was its backbone. We watched him from the time he was 17. He felt like family. He grew from a skinny kid into an absolute worldwide icon. He was superhuman but so flawed and so honest that he felt like he was one of us. His iron will was and always will be inspiring to me. I have never shed tears over a celebrity death until Sunday. If was strange to me that I was so affected by it but over the last few days of hearing and reading stories I realized I wasn’t alone. This guy was different. It’s super horrific that he died holding his daughter who he would have died to protect. He could not protect her on Sunday. By all accounts this man who has accomplished things beyond most humans wildest dreams was most proud of being a Dad. It’s been a very sad time in Lakers history. One that I will put on those lists of things where I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I got the news.

Damn. They hit the hillside at about 2300 feet. Then fell to the ground below them at about 1000 feet above sea level. So the rapid descent was the 1300 ft. fall which, unfortunately, yields that they probably knew what had happened, and was about to happen.

Last edited:
Damn. They hit the hillside at about 2300 feet. Then fell to the ground below them at about 1000 feet above sea level. So the rapid descent was the 1300 ft. fall which, unfortunately, yields that they probably knew what had happened, and was about to happen.

2 things...first, you'd hope they died instantly on impacting the hillside so they didn't know what was happening as the fell to the ground. At least that sounds better than the alternative, but not sure anyone will ever know. Second, does 2,000 ft/minute sound like it should be 2,000 ft/second? 2,000 ft/minute is roughly 22 mph, which doesn't sound like a "high speed impact," but I must be missing something.

I think a lot of people are going to stop flying by helicopter. I understand you're more likely to die in a car, but you also have a chance to survive a car wreck. A helicopter crash you're pretty much done.

I’ve been a lifelong Lakers fan. My earliest memories are of a super young Magic and Kareem. This has pretty much been beyond comparison to anything this fan base has ever experienced. I remember being in disbelief when I thought we were gonna lose Magic over the HIV retirement. This is way beyond that. The mood in Southern California is hard to describe. I have had conversations over the past few days with more strangers about Kobe than I ever have. I honestly had no idea what he meant to the Lakers fan base, the NBA and myself personally until Sunday. All that and I’m an enormous Lakers and Kobe fan. He still meant more than I thought. If Magic was and is the heartbeat of LA, Kobe was its backbone. We watched him from the time he was 17. He felt like family. He grew from a skinny kid into an absolute worldwide icon. He was superhuman but so flawed and so honest that he felt like he was one of us. His iron will was and always will be inspiring to me. I have never shed tears over a celebrity death until Sunday. If was strange to me that I was so affected by it but over the last few days of hearing and reading stories I realized I wasn’t alone. This guy was different. It’s super horrific that he died holding his daughter who he would have died to protect. He could not protect her on Sunday. By all accounts this man who has accomplished things beyond most humans wildest dreams was most proud of being a Dad. It’s been a very sad time in Lakers history. One that I will put on those lists of things where I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I got the news.
Well said, just a gross feeling I've had inside. And I wasnt even a fan of Kobe or the NBA, just hits you hard. The suddeness, the kids, the other families, the shock, the helicopter. Just shocking. Today is the first day where I havent felt just gross, but when I think about it I just smdh. Nuts.

And why is that? Because the public eats it up and it’s worth more to these outlets to be first than to be accurate. That’s why so many flock to outlets like the Daily Fail because they are first to report a lot of details and no one cares if 60% of it turns out to be wrong.

So blame “the media” all you want. I have met the enemy, and it is us.

2 things...first, you'd hope they died instantly on impacting the hillside so they didn't know what was happening as the fell to the ground. At least that sounds better than the alternative, but not sure anyone will ever know. Second, does 2,000 ft/minute sound like it should be 2,000 ft/second? 2,000 ft/minute is roughly 22 mph, which doesn't sound like a "high speed impact," but I must be missing something.

I thought the same thing. Especially when they said it fell 2000 feet for roughly 60 seconds. That's not good.

The idea of them being alive for that descent makes me sick all over again. Hopefully the impact against the ridge was enough to avoid that sort of torture.

And why is that? Because the public eats it up and it’s worth more to these outlets to be first than to be accurate. That’s why so many flock to outlets like the Daily Fail because they are first to report a lot of details and no one cares if 60% of it turns out to be wrong.

How can you say that in a thread where lots of people are trying to figure out the truth? People do want to know the truth... they obviously don’t visit sites for a fictional report... but they blindly put faith in the accuracy of the media and in the authority of the printed word. Their faith — naive as it is — is betrayed by greedy bastards who want to maximize their profit by being the first, which gets them more attention, more views, and more clicks,

Sure, but this is similar to victim blaming. If the media stops posting false shit just to be first, it goes away...regardless of the audience. People want to know the truth, not who broke a story first.

It’s like blaming pay for play in politics on those offering the money for favors...if the politicians stop being corrupt and stop accepting the money, it goes away.

The one and only time anyone ever said that to me was when I was just about to enter a betting agency: an old guy (named Bob, big on horse betting, more than likely dead himself by now) was just exiting the place, and stopped me before I got to the door and said to me, just remember the time and place you're at right now, because you'll never forget it: Princess Diana just died. It was a unusually warm late afternoon in winter, and I still recall the moment with ease, even though Diana didn't mean zip to me personally. Won't remember anything like that here, just the bajillionth instance of sitting in front of a comp and taking a brief moment away from one's focus to switch to a news site to see what the latest was. RIP Kobe. Thought Shaq's initial tweet was the most moving I've read (always liked the big man - prob my fave NBA player without caring what shirt was being worn), and for me it's really Kobe's surviving kids I feel most for at the moment. To lose a parent is one thing, but a sibling as well? Tough work their Mom has ahead of her.
Holy shit

Where you been bro?

I think a lot of people are going to stop flying by helicopter. I understand you're more likely to die in a car, but you also have a chance to survive a car wreck. A helicopter crash you're pretty much done.
Don’t tell that to the oil workers

Blind sheep.

Hopefully this guy isn't doing police sketches.

83666945_2911205295642499_4786864102205030400_n.jpg

Memorial service is scheduled for Feb 24th at the Staples Center.
Very good stuff today. I didn't see it all live but some great stuff. MJ was fantastic and it she'd a light on their relationship not many of us would have known. The comedic relief of the Crying Jordan reference was great. Vanessa, as well, acquitted herself very well. That's not easy...4 weeks after in front of a crowd of that magnitude.

Very good stuff today. I didn't see it all live but some great stuff. MJ was fantastic and it she'd a light on their relationship not many of us would have known. The comedic relief of the Crying Jordan reference was great. Vanessa, as well, acquitted herself very well. That's not easy...4 weeks after in front of a crowd of that magnitude.

Shaq was good to, the joke about no I I'm team but theres an m and an e mother fucker was great

MJ like you say was the biggest surprise from the nba side, showed vulnerability which he never ever does

Vanessa I cant imagine how she did it

Back