Kentucky Oaks/Derby Discussion

aplous

Donkey Hater
Post positions drawn yesterday. Bummed to see Irad and MO get the rail but I think he can still get a piece from there. Irad was on Rock Your World last year in the 1 hole so he has fresh experience there.

Post positions drawn yesterday. Bummed to see Irad and MO get the rail but I think he can still get a piece from there. Irad was on Rock Your World last year in the 1 hole so he has fresh experience there.
*Known Agenda not Rock Your World

Japanese horse had a blow out work this AM. Very unusual but they are doing their own thing.
Old school right there. All the 'works' people love the way he's training. He'll definitely be fit. I swore I'd never play the UAE horses again after Mendelssohn but I'll probably throw him in 3rd and 4th in the supers.

Old school right there. All the 'works' people love the way he's training. He'll definitely be fit. I swore I'd never play the UAE horses again after Mendelssohn but I'll probably throw him in 3rd and 4th in the supers.
I'm sticking with a play against for both. Summer is Tomorrow is going to have to run his balls off the first half mile to get to the lead and is an easy fade. Crown Pride is probably better but his Derby time of 1:59 & 3 would put him at least 10-20 lengths back of US times, have to doubt the track was playing that slow.

Initial thoughts:

If the track is fast/good, more and more I'm leaning towards Epicenter. Last 3 races all showed steady improvement in speed numbers, he's 2-1-0 in three races vs a +5 pace or more, with the 2nd place finish by just a head. The horses he's beaten last two include Zandon, Zozos, Smile Happy and Pioneer of Medina. Rosario is as good a jockey as there is right now, and his training has been solid.

The horses Epicenter beat all look like they could can be used underneath. I'd rate them Zandon/Smile Happy/Zozos/Pioneer of Medina

Mo Donegal is ripe for a bounce with his last win being 18 points higher than his previous best.

I like Messier but the pace wasn't hot in Santa Anita and he still got beaten by Taiba.

Charge It at 2nd off the layoff is ripe for a leap forward. Clockers have said he looks terrific.

Tiz the Bomb is running on his worst surface here.

Taiba has looked great and has that Baffert Justify look to him, if he's still 12/1 (he won't be, probably closer to 7/1) at post I'll run to the window with both hands full.

White Abarrio ran well against a strong pace (+18) in Florida. He'll need to jump up in speed figures though.

Cyberknife, too slow. Tawny Port, too slow.

Initial thoughts:

If the track is fast/good, more and more I'm leaning towards Epicenter. Last 3 races all showed steady improvement in speed numbers, he's 2-1-0 in three races vs a +5 pace or more, with the 2nd place finish by just a head. The horses he's beaten last two include Zandon, Zozos, Smile Happy and Pioneer of Medina. Rosario is as good a jockey as there is right now, and his training has been solid.

The horses Epicenter beat all look like they could can be used underneath. I'd rate them Zandon/Smile Happy/Zozos/Pioneer of Medina

Mo Donegal is ripe for a bounce with his last win being 18 points higher than his previous best.

I like Messier but the pace wasn't hot in Santa Anita and he still got beaten by Taiba.

Charge It at 2nd off the layoff is ripe for a leap forward. Clockers have said he looks terrific.

Tiz the Bomb is running on his worst surface here.

Taiba has looked great and has that Baffert Justify look to him, if he's still 12/1 (he won't be, probably closer to 7/1) at post I'll run to the window with both hands full.

White Abarrio ran well against a strong pace (+18) in Florida. He'll need to jump up in speed figures though.

Cyberknife, too slow. Tawny Port, too slow.
Is there any reason not to toss the closers here? MO Donegal, for example, is going to have to weave through 16/17/18 horses to win...what kind of pace do you think we get? I think fast but not crazy fast....I'm not an expert by any means...

Is there any reason not to toss the closers here? MO Donegal, for example, is going to have to weave through 16/17/18 horses to win...what kind of pace do you think we get? I think fast but not crazy fast....I'm not an expert by any means...
From the win slot, probably. From exotics, no. I like to look at how horses do in the stretch in terms of gaining ground in route races. I find the closers that are most proficient at it make for some great value underneath. Think Dallas Stewart with some of his horses. Zandon and Mo Donegal have both gained ground in every stretch run. Barber Road is sneaky good at 4 out of 5, as is Tawny Port. Smile Happy and Tiz the Bomb are both 3 for 4.

But its interesting that this year a lot of the stalker types have a very good record in the stretch too. White Abarrio is 3 for 4. Pioneer of Medina and Epicenter are 3 for 5, Charge It is 2 for 3, and Taiba is 1 for 1. So it may be harder than usual for the mid-pack runners and closers to make up ground here.

As far as pace I agree with fast but not killer fast. Summer is Tomorrow will want to go along with Classic Causeway, and then I'd think Epicenter, Messier, Taiba, White Abarrio, Charge It and Pioneer of Medina find spots within 4-5 lengths of the front. Then things will start to shake up on the far turn and the stalkers should take over and try to kick home with the win. The six I mentioned in the first paragraph battle to reach 3rd/4th, maybe 2nd if there's an outstanding ride.

But if we get a wet track......I wouldn't be surprised if everything flips. I could see it being wet/fast, the pace getting hot and the inverse happening, with a couple of closers romping home and the better stalkers staying on for underneath spots.

Tomorrow looking drier though. They’ll have to work the track a bit but fast on Saturday is not out of the question.

Tomorrow looking drier though. They’ll have to work the track a bit but fast on Saturday is not out of the question.
That track does dry well. Won't be warm. But it should be drying out. Could be good later on in the day especially by Derby post.

At least these odds are reflecting an expected fast track thankfully

Rare to see the 1 horse take so much money regardless the connections
That's the one that surprised me too. No shock to see Taiba bet down from that bad 12-1 morning line. Zandon 8-1 is interesting though.

I really think the Derby favorite will be closer to 9/2 than the 3-1 the morning line favorite.

That's the one that surprised me too. No shock to see Taiba bet down from that bad 12-1 morning line. Zandon 8-1 is interesting though.
Yeah Zandon is clearly cold on the board

Tawny Port at 82-1 would be half that if drawn a few spots further inside

Think Messier would be much shorter if the real trainer's name was listed beside him, same with Taiba...maybe keeping those prices better than they should be

Let's have some fun this weekend!

Stakes races at Churchill are on USA now and Belmont/Oaklawn are on FS2

Great jocks still at Belmont that couldn't land Derby rides but Churchill looks and is running amazing so far, hope weather can stay away

Totally against max player in the 7th. And he's dead on the board at 6-1. Olympian probably wins but sure can take even money on.

*again and that horse was exactly where he should have been the entire race

I was capping the 8th for a softer turf. Not sure how it is now. Chad has the 3 favorites. #2 My Philly Twirl maybe at a price.

Leaning towards Spicer but you never know which one of Chad’s will run best. Might throw the 10 in and hope she likes the grass

Back