Kentucky Oaks/Derby Discussion

All the more impressive since Colmus completely missed him closing in while focusing on Simplification on the outside. Frank Merahmadi would've seen him at the 1/16th pole.
Still wasn't as bad with Durkin and mine that bird.

I still have no idea why Crown Pride was chasing the horse he sat off of in Dubai and had no business lasting.

Yeah looked like he would be stuck behind Taiba with Classic Causeway and Simplification boxing him in on both sides. Then Tawny Port and Taiba both were able to fill the hole Zandon left as he moved forward and Rich Strike kept his momentum going. When Tawny Port drifted out that gave Rich Strike the rail for the first half of the stretch. He was fortunate that Messier didn't tire quite as fast as Crown Pride and was able to split them near the 1/8th pole and from there it was wide open.

The run Zandon had to make in the stretch was almost as impressive. He shifted from the rail out about 6 paths to get open ground to run at Epicenter. Ground loss probably cost him 2nd.

Epicenter was also gallant in defeat, as he ran about 23 & 46&2 for the first two calls yet was able to find more and finish 2nd. The only horse that was ahead of him at the halfway point of the race that finished in the top 10 was Zozos, who ran 10th.

Remember Zozos for the future, he had a Oxbow type run in the Derby. If he enters the Preakness watch out.
No Zozos for the Preakness. None of the Cox horses will go. Neither will the Pletchers.

Epicenter will be 4/5 if he runs. If he doesn't, EV and Secret Oath will probably be top 2 in the morning line.

Reactions: KJ
All the more impressive since Colmus completely missed him closing in while focusing on Simplification on the outside. Frank Merahmadi would've seen him at the 1/16th pole.
I thought it was a pretty amazing call by Collmus.

Reactions: KJ
I think Epicenter will be favored and he probably wins. His fitness after tracking that wicked pace and still finishing 2nd will be off the charts.

Owners of Rich Strike going full Dave Roberts and saying the won't enter him in the Preakness, instead pointing him towards the Belmont.

Owners of Rich Strike going full Dave Roberts and saying the won't enter him in the Preakness, instead pointing him towards the Belmont.
Interesting. But I get it. 2 weeks is a quick turn around. Good for them if that's the real reason. I really don't like his style for the Belmont. We shall see.

Back