International Basketball

hugh613

Pretty much a regular
MTD: 0-0, +/-0.00

Tuesday:

7/21/2015 1:15 PM International Basketball 1548 USA (U-19 - Women)* -43 vs Egypt (U-19 - Women)
*Saw this at 5Dimes and couldn't resist (c'mon, it's Egypt...) In fairness, pretty much a meaningless game for the US, and blowouts haven't really been the order of the day for either side during the tournament (US +15, +26; EGY -13, -23), but the US has two definite advantages on them: height and depth. Egypt only seems to have the one girl capable of doing much on offense, so if the US can neutralize her, this should be a walk in the park.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

Thanks Dwight. U.S. up 52-18 at the half, although that's mostly due to them killing the Egyptians on the boards (24 OR's, LOL) and forcing a tonne of turnovers (19 and counting). Shooting 38% doesn't really inspire confidence, but hopefully they keep it up just long enough to get the cover.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

Ha. Well, I always try to be somewhat realistic about these things, especially when the stats kind of skew the result (it was only 14-9 after the 1Q). One big quarter should be enough to put this away I'm guessing (69-30 halfway through the 3Q).

smileys-beer-129300.gif

MTD: 1-0, +1.00

Adding:

7/21/2015 9:00 PM International Basketball 1509 Venezuela (Pan American)/USA (Pan American)* Under 160 -110
*Was going to take the US initially but, to be honest, I'm not sure where the offense is going to come from (Ryan Hollins is about the only name I recognize on the roster, and he's definitely no scorer). And just based on what little I could find out about the Venezuelan team, their preference seems to be to play a half court game, so hopefully that means we can keep the scoring to a minimum.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

I guess you don't watch much college ball Hugh because that's what team USA is mostly comprised of, 7 college players mostly notably Melo Trimble along with 5 vets. Anthony Randolph was a first round pick back in 2008 and played previously to this season in the NBA.

I liked your under play and just went top check the odds and the total has moved up to 162.5....don't care still playing the under along with USA -16....Greivis Vasquez was expected to be the main player on the Venezuelan team but I don't see his name on the roster nor Donta Smith their next best player in the past and they only have 2 players on the roster that play professionally outside of Venezuela.

Yeah, I saw the number moved up as well - hopefully it's just the public as opposed to legitimate "steam". And you're right, I don't follow CBB as closely as I used to (although, at the same time, not sure how many of those kids are All Americans either) - was just strange seeing so many 30 somethings on the roster. On another note, what the hell is Pitino doing coaching the Puerto Rican team?

Good luck AK.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

On the plus side, definite under pace to the game; on the negative, looks like it could be a parade to the FT line. Hopefully wake up to good news in the morning.

Not that it's remotely on the same level, but this game is starting to remind me of when Puerto Rico beat the US in Athens...

MTD: 2-0, +2.00

Wednesday:

7/22/2015 10:30 AM International Basketball 1509 USA (U-19 - Women)* -42 -120 vs Argentina (U-19 - Women)
*Should be another cakewalk for the Americans as the Argentinians only appear to have the one girl who can score, and she's a 5'11" PF who's going to have to try and navigate the US interior who all have a good 3-4 inches on her. Plus, Argentina has been pretty woeful during the tournament going 0-3 and shooting 31%, so provided the Americans can use their size advantage to dominate the boards again, should be a fairly straightforward result.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

MTD: 3-0, +3.00

Adding:

7/22/2015 12:45 PM International Basketball 1513 Spain (U-19 - Women)/Netherlands (U-19 - Women)* Over 130½ -120
*Think pretty much all you need to know is that the Netherlands beat Argentina 79-65 while Spain beat Egypt 87-64 during the group stage. Could just be that the US girls are that much more dominant on defense, but think it also signifies there should be some points scored in this one as well.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

I hope you like Canada over 153.5. Argentina scored 76 yesterday in regulation while Canada went over the 100 mark and have a really nice squad that seemed to like an up-tempo game.

I hope you like Canada over 153.5. Argentina scored 76 yesterday in regulation while Canada went over the 100 mark and have a really nice squad that seemed to like an up-tempo game.
As a matter of fact, yes, yes I do. : ) Just debating whether to play it straight or tease it down with Puerto Rico. Why Puerto Rico? Not sure, but didn't really like what I saw out of the US on offense last night. Plus, I figure Pitino's going to ramp up the defensive pressure with possibly a full court press after yesterday's loss (still have no clue why he's coaching the Puerto Rican squad). Also, a nice steady hand with Barea at the point should help keep them competititive, I would think.

Anyways, nice hit with your double last night, and don't be shy about posting your thoughts/picks in here as well AK.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

Dude you're crushing this shit...keep it up
Thanks Dwight (and BAR as well). Just one of those things where you hope to cash in a few wins before things inevitably start to level off. Plus, this is why I love betting on basketball - pretty much the only sport where you can use math to give you a slight advantage when handicapping games.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

As a matter of fact, yes, yes I do. : ) Just debating whether to play it straight or tease it down with Puerto Rico. Why Puerto Rico? Not sure, but didn't really like what I saw out of the US on offense last night. Plus, I figure Pitino's going to ramp up the defensive pressure with possibly a full court press after yesterday's loss (still have no clue why he's coaching the Puerto Rican squad). Also, a nice steady hand with Barea at the point should help keep them competititive, I would think.

Anyways, nice hit with your double last night, and don't be shy about posting your thoughts/picks in here as well AK.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

I'm not sure if you saw the 2nd Half of last nights Team USA game, but the US absolutely dominated like they should on both ends of the court and this is a stripped down version of the Puerto Rico squad that Pitino is using here so that he will have a healthy full squad next month in Mexico when they try to qualify for the Olympics. Agree the USA squad lacks ball-handling and maybe Pitino will press them but they lost by 30+ to Brazil yesterday. I think Canada -8 teased would be a better option with Argentina not using any of the older NBA vets that had so much success over the last decade and instead a team that has just 2 players that play pro in Spain and the rest play in either Argentina or Brazil. Canada has 2 NBA forwards and some guys that play mid to high level pro ball in Europe plus the kid Murray going to Kentucky.

Only watched the 1H because, to be honest, that was pretty brutal to watch. As for Canada, wasn't sure if Bennett and Nicholson would be able to co-exist on the floor, but seems like they did a pretty good job of it - helps that we got some balance on attack as well. The fact that they gave up 88 to the DR would lead me to believe the Argentinians could muster some offense as well, but your familiarity with the rosters is much better than mine. As for Puerto Rico, I don't know, I've just had it in my head all day that Pitino would draw something up to counter the US on offense. Admittedly, he needs guys who can actually execute, but still, as most people know, once I make up my mind, it's usually hard to shake me off a position (even though it's likely to blowup in my face, LOL).

MTD: 4-0, +4.00

Adding:

7/22/2015 6:00 PM International Basketball 1525 Argentina (Pan American)/Canada (Pan American)* Over 154 -110

smileys-beer-129300.gif

MTD: 5-0, +5.00

Adding:

2 Team / 5 Point Teaser (Ties Win) @ -115
7/22/2015 9:00 PM International Basketball 1527 Puerto Rico (Pan American)* +30½ vs USA (Pan American)
7/22/2015 9:00 PM International Basketball 1527 Puerto Rico (Pan American)/USA (Pan American)* Under 170

*In Pitino I trust...

smileys-beer-129300.gif

Sorry Hugh, gotta go w/ the USA -25...PR just looked awful yesterday. US likely will rest the vets though 2nd half and maybe we can both get the W :shake:

Boy, pretty bad when you can't hit either end of a teaser... Not sure if I'll be home tomorrow, so hopefully AK can keep churning out the winners for those interested.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

these tournaments are such cake walk, especially the women's side. The parity is tremendous and its a total moneymaker because the books have no clue how to set things up. Not too many backdoor mooses because a lot of these players are youngsters trying to prove a point.

Good eye here Hugh, I've been in gaming a lot and as well as the u16 girls too ;)

Wow huge international card today w/ the European Mens under 18 Championships starting today.

Bosnia & Herzegovina +7.5
Lithuania/Bosnia over 142.5
Netherlands/Luxembourg under 124.5
Georgia/Sweden under 130.5

The parity is tremendous?! What do you mean?

as in, there's the top boys and then the really shit to fill in the gaps.

That's why there are the A, B, C groups.

You won't see teams like France/Spain/Turkey in the C group, just as much as you won't see a team from fucking Gibraltar in Group A lol.

A lot of the shit countries pretty much just put together any team they can get and really have 0 basketball program. There's really not much qualification needed to enter these European tournaments, just have a basketball federation and you're in.

So when you go to international levels, such as Worlds, the US will crush every team particularly teams that just barely made it or are there just for the sake of filling a slot.

wonder if the Dutch learnt their lesson last year when they played Luxembourg....they were -20 favs last year and lost by 17!

wonder if the Dutch learnt their lesson last year when they played Luxembourg....they were -20 favs last year and lost by 17!

Do you have a site that has odds history for this type of tourney or you just remember that ?

You can watch these games live on the Fiba youtube channel live.

Croatia can hang w/ the US in the youth groups...this years U 19 Championship was an awesome game with the US winning in OT 79-71.

MTD: 5-1, +3.85

Thursday:

7/23/2015 10:30 AM International Basketball 1501 Argentina (Pan American)/Dominican Republic (Pan American)* Under 162½ -110
7/23/2015 1:30 PM International Basketball 1511 Venezuela/Puerto Rico* Under 151 -120

*Well, as it turns out, one less basket from the US and I would've ended up hitting that teaser but, at the same time, should've just listened to AK and gone with the Americans... Anyways, third game in three days so, theoretically speaking, we should start to see the legs giving out, so let's see what happens.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

Damn that ended up an easy win T Mike...good job.

Hugh your first game under looks good at the end of 3 with a score of 54-52.

Took an 0 fer 4 so i will take the afternoon off and see if anything looks good tonight.

Good luck Guys

Adding:

7/23/2015 2:15 PM International Basketball 1536 Greece (U-18)* -4½ -120 vs Croatia (U-18)
*U-18 Tournament, SMH... Still not as bad as Toronto_Mike betting the World T-Ball U-6 Tournament, but still... Anyways, "borrowing" this pick from another site as it would appear this Croatian team isn't quite as good as the U-19 team that went to the finals earlier this month (no Dragan Bender, among others). Plus, the tournament's in Greece, so hopefully the hosts can kick off the tourney in style with an easy win.

smileys-beer-129300.gif

MTD: 7-2, +4.65

Adding:

7/23/2015 6:00 PM International Basketball 1504 Canada (Pan American)* -14½ -120 vs Mexico (Pan American)
*After what their soccer team managed to pull off (read buy off) last night, El Tri deserve the trouncing they'll get tonight...

smileys-beer-129300.gif

Back