Hulu's CFL 2017

Hulu

#3DownNation
Gonna try another CFL thread for the first time in a looong time. The posting curse seems to bother me most with the CFL so I gave up posting it but I've had several solid years in a row so who knows.

Best of Luck to all...off we go.

2* BC Lions 2H -3.5 -107

Leos offense has picked up but their settling for field goals when they should be finishijng these drives.

Wasn't quite the comeback I was expecting but enough to cover. Nice to start off with a win.

JJ is going to be one of the good ones. This is going to be a breakout year for him.

Things change and injuries and situations will come into play ... but July 28 looks like a spot I will want to play the lions now. Nice job

Agreed for the situation kyle although dome/turf team outdoor on grass always gives me pause

Yeah that was ridiculous but that's the CFL. There has been a dearth of quality DBs for a few seasons now. I'm not sure why but the secondary play across the league has been weak. Of course I'm a cats fan so maybe my opinion was biased by watching their MASH unit of a secondary last year.

For tomorrow I'm gonna try a to fade some line movement here. I think the opener was correct at 53 and I don't see why its gone as high as it has. I'm still waiting for Collaros and co to impress me like they did 2 years ago and I'm still not sure they've put it together yet. Yeah yeah their secondary is still a patchwork but its been a long time since a Ricky Ray led offense scared anyone. Add in a strong risk or thundershowers, piss poor fan support from the most pompous city in the country and I think the under is worth a go.

1* HAM / TOR under 56.5 -107

Lets get'er SIGO.

Looking at the radar, the rain is only a couple hours west of Toronto now so the worst of the wind and rain will likely be over before game time. So weather won't be as much of a factor as hoped.

CFL Sides 0-0
CFL Totals 1-0 +1.00*
CFL 2H 1-0 +2.00*

CFL Overall 2-0 +3.00*

I was just eyeing this under when it started to drop across the board. Not sure why it dropped so fast and I missed 2 full points but I grabbed it while its still betable. These teams have combined for some high scores but its pretty unlikely we see a 4th overtime game between them. Proper number should have been 58 or so which it where it seems to be heading to.

2* OTT / CAL under 61.5 -107

Nice call hulu :cheers3:

Thanks Sigo. A pretty good start to the season. Of course, as usual, I'm too busy being upset with 2 bets that I opted out of to celebrate. I really should've taken the over in the 2H of the BC game and I should have hit the Argos hard in their 2H. It was obvious that the cats brought nothing to the table.

The cats defense has one of the better fronts in the league but probably the poorest secondary in the league, at least until Davis is back. Losing Tolliver is a big blow to their offense also.

Can't believe Rocky Ray comes back from the dead and has a career game although he owes it more to SJ Green than anyone. To his credit though, Ray put it up for his receiver to make a play and he did it multiple times. Its very early for that kind of chemistry.

1* BC Lions +1.5 -106

No team is as good as their best game or as bad as their worst. Well I don't think BC is quite as bad as they looked in their opener. They shot themselves in the foot with penalties and I tend to think Wally is the kind of guy who can clean that up stat. Beyond that, the problems with their O-Line and secondary will take more time. On the other side, Toronto beat up an absolutely hapless Hamilton team and looked great doing it but I still think they are the inferior team here. Trestman is a great CFL coach but I'm not buying into Ricky Ray and co just yet. Their are too many new pieces to this puzzle to beat a quality team just yet. The boatmen are also on a short week which should negate the 3 timezone travel difference for BC.

1* Teaser CAL -1 / EDM -1 -120

Don't really see either of these teams losing although I'm less confident in them covering the 8. Not really a wong teaser since 3s and 7s are not as key in the CFL.

That should be it for this week unless I see some 2H plays.

I'm seeing 55.5 for that ott/cal game. I'm assuming you wouldn't play it at that number

Correct. I made the number 57.5 or 58 myself so seeing 63.5 the other day was a little surprising. Wish I'd hit that before the drop. Equally surprising is to see it drop below 57. I didn't expect that.

Just brings joy to my heartbtobeven read the words wongbteaser.

Good luck

Much like seeing the word 'heartbtobeven' warms my heart because it means I'm not the only old bastard that can't type anything on a goddamned phone.

Thanks Bum, you also man.

Adding a little on BC so I can still turn a small profit this weekend after the scorefest last night cost me 2+ units. Wish I'd hit this last night when I could've gotten +133. Book definitely got the better of me with this game thus far. BC can win and turn that around on me.

0.5* BC Lions ML +114

Thanks Sigo. Classic overreation to week 1 results gave us a good number there. BC should have been favoured.

Possible 2H play coming up in the MTL/EDM game

1* Edmonton 2H -6 -110

Would've made this a very large play if not for the loss of whyte. Edmonton shot themselves in the foot about as much as one team can in the 1H while Montreal is about what we expected...very good defense, anemic offense. I still think Edmonton wins here

What the hell is with all the missed PATs this year? I think its like 9 missed PATs in 7 games so far.

Ottawa re-joined the league three years ago and bumped the league total to an uneven 9 teams. In those 3 years the team that started the season with a bye failed to cover their week 2 opener. However, consider that in 2014 this was the expansion redblacks. Still though, I think there is something to this. The CFL training camp and pre-season is so short, the first games often play out like pre-season games, full of mistakes and penalties. When one team already has that extra game under their belts I think they have a distinct advantage.

Not playing tonight's game because there are a whole whack of other competing storylines but I would lean to the riders christening their new stadium with a win.

0.5* Winnipeg 2H pk +113

Posting a tad late due to CTGs 15 minute makeover but no scoring yet in the 3rd so I think I'm ok to count in my record.

If I could have had WPG +3.5 before the game, I might have taken it as I think this is a close one. Now that I see the 1st half and I can get the +4 at +money for the game, I'm on it.

Sask has not foiund a way to exploit the bombers weak linebacking corps and the WPG offense looks to be settling in. I think a field goal decides it.

CFL Sides 1-0 +1.57*
CFL Totals 1-1 -1.14*
CFL 2H 3-0 +3.565*
Teasers 1-0 +1.00*

CFL Overall 6-1 +4.995*

Given the forced late posting of the 2H play last night, I'll gladly post a screenshot of the bet if anyone has any question. Aiming for 100% record accuracy here.

Thoughts after week 2...

Calgary - Really thought they'd be a team on a mission coming out early and setting the tone for themselves. Instead Bo Levi has looked erractic at times and the defense looks a step behind last year. Calgary should be the runaway fav this year but aren't looking like it.

Edmonton - 2-0 but injuries starting to take their toll. The loss of Sheritt and John White is huge for this team. Love Reilly's intensity and arm strength but they will have to make major adjustments as Van is no White. For long time CFL fans its nice to see Kevin Konar's son playing now.

Winnipeg - Offense picking up where they left off last year and Nichols & co will put up some numbers. Defense is a concern especially at LB. I believe they are starting a NI rookie in the there and at one of the outside positions also. Teams should be able to run all over them but this is the CFL so will they?

BC - Looking very average. OL has talent but some serious issues through 2 games. Luckily Jennings is mobile and can negate some of the pass rush he will see. Defensively their backfield is weak and they will get scored upon by the likes of CGY, EDM and WPG. Still have one of the best coaches in history but I am wondering if the game has passed Wally by just a bit.

Szechuan - Crap team with a crap coach. Secondary is weak and they will give up big plays all year. Chris Jones is a nothingburger as coach and you are starting a QB in his 17th season that has spent the previous 16 as about the 7th or 8th best QB in a 9 team league. Still improved somewhat over last season though but still going to be basement dwellers. Fortunately the basement should be pretty nice at their new stadium.

Ottawa - Still the only team worth a damn in the east. Trevor Harris is a solid if unspectacular QB and will only get better. If they can stay healthy at RB, they should be in the cup again.

Hamilton - Vastly overrated by the media and fans. Collaros has yet to return to pre-injury form and has lost a big dimension of his game now that he is unwilling to take hits. Not that I blame him or the coaching staff for that but those first downs that he scrambled for 2 years ago will now have to come another way. The tabbies OL is average at best and he will find himself scrambling a lot. CJ Gable is a fantastic blocking back if he can stay healthy for more than a few games. Brandon Banks is a star only on TSN now and hasn't really done anything special recently. He will now be pressed into more spot receiver duty with Tolliver gone for the season (big loss there too). The defensive front is among the best but its backed up by a complete mess of a secondary. Once Emmanuel Davis and Abdul Kaneh return, look for that unit to start improving for the latter half of the season. Despite being many pundits' pick to win the east, this team screams 9-9 to me. Austin may be gone by year's end.

Montreal - Will be very improved over last season and may even ahead of than Hamilton by season's end. Durant is a serviceable QB who could take you all the way on a good day with the right surrounding cast and he is tough enough to last the season which is important. But the Als offense looks anemic and will likely all year under Chapdelaine. I am not impressed with him as a coach at all. Montreal has one of the better defenses in the league and will keep themselves withing striking distance in a lot of games against superior opponents. Mincy is looking like he will be an all-star type DB.

Toronto - Will be much improved this season although there's only so far a team led by 800 year old Ricky Ray will take you. Having said that, Trestman has breathed some new life into Ray and I love that they are stretching the field. They have some quality receivers in SJ Green and Posey that will make Ray look batter and be able to win battles against some of the many poor DBs in the league (see Hamilton, week 1). Defensively, they show vast improvement and Corey Chamblin has them fired up. They are swarming and gang tackling and getting pressure on the QB. They will keep the Argos in a few extra games this year. Nice to see Jesse Tuggle's boy out there playing also. Loved him with the Falcons.

So much more to write but trying to keep to basic notes.

Last edited:
2* Montreal +3 -102

Maybe I'm being impetuous here but I thought I'd see this open at BC -1 and my own line was MTL -2 so imma get on a +3 at +vig since I don't see how it lasts. BC on an extended road trip and stayed in Ontario, practicing in Kingston before heading to Montreal. Small natural letdown spot there after getting their first win against the Argos. The Als have the defense to keep a lot of games close and if they have any sense they will exploit BC's weakness at OL rather easily. Montreals secondary has the talent to cover and allow that to happen.

There's also a total that has opened 5 points from where I expected so I'll monitor that one as it won't likely move too quickly on me.

eta...fuck it...made it 2 units as it dropped to -106. I like this play and my instincts have been spot on so far.

1* HAM / SSK over 52.5 -107

Was reeeeaaaalllyyy hoping to see Sask open as a small home dog but the books have clued in to how mediocre Hamilton really is. Still though this is a low number for two teams with decent offenses and below average defenses. Throw in a TD off a turnover or ST play and I think this goes over. Thats the broad strokes anyway.

Yeah I still feel pretty good about it at +3. Maybe I went a bit big hitting it for 2 units but I'm still feeling it. BOL if you play it.

1* HAM / SSK over 51.5 -107

2* Ottawa -4 -106

Adding another unit on the over in szechuan province. I don't care which way this total is going, it screams over to me and I am going to trust my judgement here.

I made Ottawa a 6 to 7 point fav but wasn't too sanguine because although Ottawa wins a lot of games, they don't often blow anyone out. But I really don't see the Redblacks going winless through 3 games, at home, to the Argos and 4 is a fairly short hump to get over. Also slight lean to the over here bu tnot playing it.

Als finally got their defense sorted but damn they'll be hard pressed to win this until they start stretching the field. They should be sending Underwood deep regularly because the BC defense is just setting up on the underneath routes.

No 2H play here

Losing Stef Logan in the 1H cost tha Als at least 40 yeards of field position thus far.

Durant has been a split second slow on too many throws today. He'd better clean that up.

Yes it is.

NBA is worse, college hoops is worse ... but those sports are also harder to officiate.

1* HAM / SSK over 51.5 -107

2* Ottawa -4 -106

Adding another unit on the over in szechuan province. I don't care which way this total is going, it screams over to me and I am going to trust my judgement here.

I made Ottawa a 6 to 7 point fav but wasn't too sanguine because although Ottawa wins a lot of games, they don't often blow anyone out. But I really don't see the Redblacks going winless through 3 games, at home, to the Argos and 4 is a fairly short hump to get over. Also slight lean to the over here bu tnot playing it.
Lol at Szechuan province. Let's cash these big plays today. GL

Back