Houston Vs Tampa Discussion

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
If you guys want seperate threads like this or just one combined thread let me know. I can merge...

Disagree. Tampa is a bitch with their arsenal of pitchers and no name hitters that are pretty good. Now they got Yandy in there as well.

Orange Juice Series

Rays were 4-3 vs Astros this season, but were outscored 40-27 in those 7 games. All 4 wins were by 2 runs or fewer.

This is the series I am most looking forward to. Tampa is not going to make it easy for Houston Those are some awesome pitching matchups

Not to mention they threw Austin Meadows in with Glasnow when they got Archer. Neal is the worst GM in baseball.

And I’m not saying it makes them a World Series contender but it at least puts them in a position that adding a player or two gives them a shot

ever since Bellinger said how much LAD hated playing TB and its pitching staff i got intrigued, but their lineup never looked scary enough to me. They do win the tight games and i think putting the team in +EV situations all night helps the other franchises who are behind the curve, however HOU is not one of those.

HOU probably would have preferred OAK, but I'm looking forward to this series and am definitely cheering on the underdog. Glasnow's first playoff start worries me, Verlander and Cole are so solid and Greinke is obviously proven too. TB can beat anybody, but they drew the most complete team in the league and I think that'll be too much

Houston has a very good bull pen. Tampa has a better one. Glasnow is on 6. That is his worst rest 3,27There is no doubt about his ability but all of his road games have been against bad teams except for Boston

Last edited:
Playoff Pitching

Glasnow
Cole
Morton
Lyles

If you're a pirate fan, you have to be on suicide watch at this point.

The crazy thing is how much better they all got when they got away from pirates. Clearly pirates pitching philosophy works much better for guys w lessor stuff as they have done nice things w less talented guys and vets who seemed to be on downswing. Maybe they should consider not using a 1 size fits all approach to coaching pitchers!!! Lol

Pirates philosophy is pitch to contact. These guys can strike batters out. Maybe it’s not that simple, and I haven’t checked the stats, but I bet if you check it out their K rates have increased significantly since getting out of Pit.

The Dodgers seem very obvious today. RL clear 2.5seems reasonable
Stras is a legitimately great pitcher but playing on 2 days rest after 34 pitches against Milwaukee is extremely tough
Stras Baker

DateHome - RoadHome StarterRoad StarterLineResultO/U
07/08/17 WAS 0 - ATL 13 S. Strasburg J. Teheran -230/8.5 Road O
08/12/16 WAS 5 - ATL 8 S. Strasburg M. Foltynewicz -230/7.5 Road

the funny part is those guys weren't good when they were Pirates and all it took was a little coaching and some different colors to click

Cole was still a good pitcher, but he's definitely taken it to a new level with the Astros.

Folty with Porter 4 innings 18 ERA
with Jack 5 innings 0 ERA
Jack on 4 2.08
Folty 5 4.82
Ump does like the home team normally
Days of week favors Atlanta Large

Pirates philosophy is pitch to contact. These guys can strike batters out. Maybe it’s not that simple, and I haven’t checked the stats, but I bet if you check it out their K rates have increased significantly since getting out of Pit.

Pirates or Pitching coach Ray Searage's philosphy was to pitch to contact AND pitch down in the strike zone. Both which did not benefit Cole or Glasnow. When Cole and Glasnow pitched up in the zone that's where the strikeouts occurred. Later on this year, the pirates did seem to modify that approach with Archer which is when Archer seemed to have a slight uptick in his pitching, but Archer still wasn't very efficient.

Pirates or Pitching coach Ray Searage's philosphy was to pitch to contact AND pitch down in the strike zone. Both which did not benefit Cole or Glasnow. When Cole and Glasnow pitched up in the zone that's where the strikeouts occurred. Later on this year, the pirates did seem to modify that approach with Archer which is when Archer seemed to have a slight uptick in his pitching, but Archer still wasn't very efficient.
Guys, who cares about the Pirates right now? Lol

Kershaw on 6 6-0 2.62 ERA 15 innings with Baker 2.40 ERA

Baker is relatively new so that probably doesn't include too much of prime Kershaw, but Kershaw isn't the same guy for his career stats on 6+

Also wouldn't suggest using ERA anymore, but Kershaw's 0.93 WHIP with Baker is impressive whether the two starts are from 2015 and 2017 or not

Baker is relatively new so that probably doesn't include too much of prime Kershaw, but Kershaw isn't the same guy for his career stats on 6+

Also wouldn't suggest using ERA anymore, but Kershaw's 0.93 WHIP with Baker is impressive whether the two starts are from 2015 and 2017 or not
I haven't started drinking yet but are we in the Dodgers thread or Astros thread?

Folty with Porter 4 innings 18 ERA
with Jack 5 innings 0 ERA
Jack on 4 2.08
Folty 5 4.82
Ump does like the home team normally
Days of week favors Atlanta Large

That's tough here. I was leaning Atlanta as they know they need to win this one Big. Can't go away to the Cardinals home stadium down 0-2. But the numbers all lean toward the Cardinals here. So go with numbers or gut?

Game 1 in the books
Homer ump for Houston tomorrow. Think Cole on 1 bad start with him

Game 2 in the books
Greinke at Tampa
Ump is Wegner and I am not fond of the guy but here I think I can tolerate him
46.2 innings with Greinke 4-1 2.51 ERA Wegner is not fond of home teams, Home dogs 2-7 this season leans under. WILL get more tomorrow

Checked and I believe Morton 9 ERA on 5 innings. Just checked again. Game may be a little loud as Houston hits him rather well and at Home Tampa may resent being walked on
Tomorrow is the only day where Tampa still has a edge in DAYS 12-4 to Houston 11-4 i see no other edge
Atlanta probably gets blasted losing big on the Days and somewhat in the day but those are just guesses

Last edited:
Oh I am very close to playing Minn tomorrow, No a good Days play But this is the Only Minn Pitcher I can bet on
Just vastly better than the Yankee pitcher and with 2 real wins vs the Yanks Advice welcome This pitcher is a home 6-1 on 6 plus 1.51 ERA good history with the ump

Apparently I am pushing Houston too hard playing with a day off and a big umpire edge. OK lets see and throw out the big difference in day record 31-14 to 36-29

Last edited:
Tampa should be a slight favorite, no business being a +135 dog (I know it’s moved, rightfully so).

Houston TT Under 4.5 also offers value, getting to 5 in that park against Morton with all other hands on deck in an elimination game is a -EV proposition.

The good news is now WE know Miley is not starting, Probably the new Kid who has actually been pitching well

Back