ESPN Handicapper Scores, WEEK #5

Here's Bet the Board for Week #5.

Recap of last week’s games per Payne or Powers:
Florida State critical of running on second and long, 14 times for 5 yds/zero success. FSU toughed it out; Clemson was playing the best they can play.
Bama “top 5 defense” now.
Ohio State Powers not impressed…McCord had a lot of turnover worthy plays and OSU O line did not look good, ND D line won that battle. Lot of questions re OSU.
Connor Weigman Downgrade: Powers has downgraded A&M 1 to 1.5 points with Weigman out.

Utah @ Oregon State -3.5/44.5: Payne thinks that line will move to Beavers -1.5 if Rising plays.
Beavers are 13-1 straight up & ATS in last 14 home games. Utah has hard time on the road. Wittingham has said “we must stretch the field” but can they? Beavers 2dary looked bad in 1H vs Wazzu. Payne does not know if Rising going to play. Payne: If Rising not playing then they will not have much O success. The Beavers D line “can kinda get bullied, but Utah O line not been great getting push…Beavers defense secondary outside of top 100…Utah’s receivers not as good as Wazzu’s Wazzu pass plays 60% wins and 25% explosive agst Beavers, but w/o Rising Utah cannot throw Utah has 39% success rate passing and outside the Top 80 passing game.”

Powers thinks Beavers will run and try to prevent DJU from making mistakes. DJU is less than 50% passing last 2 weeks. He thinks Beavers’ play calling has been bad and DJU needs to have more designed runs. This will be best O line Utah D has faced in the run game, but they are not as good at pass blocking. Utah is #3 in country in stopping the run. Beavers need to try more deep passes to good wide receivers (Bolden & Gould). Utah has #1 edge rusher in nation and the Utah D has “players at every level. But,Utah left receivers open in downfield passing that UCLA QB missed” so Beavers will likely have passing opportunities. “Utah D is good but are they really good?” is the question based on Utah’s schedule thus far.

Florida @ KY -1/ 44 : KY has won first 4 games by 11 or more pts, but has lost 4 of 5 last conference home games. Gators have lost 8 of last 9 on the road. Florida 57th road game as ranked team vs unranked opponent since 1995, first time as underdog. They have gone 47-9 ATS but lost the last 2 times vs KY and LSU.

Powers on KY O vs Gators D. Leary for KY has career high for ints already this season. Counting stats say KY looks good but they have played weakest strength of schedule of the Top 40 teams according to Powers. “Ky can look explosive but they have only run 220 plays (55 a game) third fewest in the country….see some signs for worry…only 47% success rate on O, worried re O line and Leary has 83 QBR and less than 50% completion rate.” Powers has seen throws which make him question Leary’s injury to Pec muscle. He likes KY running back and 3 wide receivers. Gator’s # 5 total D and PFF grades it #10 D in country. He likes Austin Armstrong…Florida D “has exceeded expectations.” Gators have given up explosives. Florida “ate alive” Charlotte’s pro-style qb and when they brought in the option qb they moved the ball. KY may have tough time moving the ball with Leary, but they have always played one of best games agst Florida.

Florida offense is 55th in country in yds per play and last in SEC in scoring. Mertz leads SEC in completion % but is last in air yds per attempts and has only thrown 4 TD passes and was sacked 3 times last week. Payne says Gator Offense is ugly if they cannot run ball. But O line will be back together this week and have not been for some prior games. KY D numbers may be skewed b/c of their weaker prior opponents. Vandy was able to run agst Ky and Gators may be able to do so? Napier has been good coach in helping Mertz. KY is outside Top 70 in passing success rate allowed even with soft schedule. “The betting market has sniffed the game out as we have seen line move from -3 to -1 and O/U from 47 to 44.” Gators will try and grind game out and have a controlled pass game.

Sounds like they liked Gators and UNDER at earlier numbers but now lines are about right and no call was made

Notre Dame @ Duke (they neglected to give Line they were looking at):
Last time a ranked Duke team hosted a ranked opponent was 1994 when #23 Duke hosted #13 Virginia and won 28-25. Gameday makes its maiden trip to Duke. Elko has evidently said: “I’m not sure our team is ready for the circus to come to town.” Elko is 13-4 thru first 17 and best 17 game start in school history. Duke won 1st 4 games by 21 points.

Powers: ND had “missed opportunity” last week, it was “devastating.” He worries that ND players may have bad let down this week. Powers was surprised by success of ND interior O line vs Ohio State - got push agst OSU. Big thing to keep eye on are injuries to wide receivers; Thomas has a hamstring, another receiver is out and Salerno in slot has been out. Versus Ohio State ND receivers had only 8 catches for 94 yds. Duke #4 in country in pass D, but this has been agst lesser opponents. He does like ND’s T.E. Mitch Evans. “ND O line owned OSU at times.” Duke D is very well coached and does not do dumb things or commit dumb penalties. Duke allows 4.4 yds per pass attempt, the best in nation. Clemson gashed Duke in run game at times. Remember, Clemson was inside the Duke 10 yd line 3 times and came away with ZERO points…should worry you if you are Duke. Last week, U Conn‘s right side O line got top PFF line grades in country against Duke defense (Powers was skeptical). He thinks ND and Estime can run the ball effectively and ND should keep it simple. ”This will be best team Duke has faced in the Elko era.” Besides a test of the Duke D, Duke qb, Leonard, will face his toughest test.

Payne says he “spent 5 hours trying to figure out how Duke will move the ball.” ND Defense graded out very well vs Buckeyes. They only allowed 27% successful runs and only 4% of the run plays gained 10+ yards. Payne: The question is what is the ND mindset after last week? The Duke Oline “has come back to Earth” since Clemson game. Payne thinks ND secondary has played well. “Game is a total pass to me right now based on the line.” He said if ND “is able to show full out then the line is short.” Payne thought ND offensive game plan last week was “dogshit.” Hartmann looked very good agst Ohio State and they lost b/c of “the coaching staff let the players down.” He thought ND beat OSU badly.

Sounds as if they like ND but are worried after last week. Powers upgraded ND’s power rating as did Payne. Duke power rating has also been upgraded.

Coastal Carolina vs Ga Southern -6.5/64: Powers gives edge to Ga Southern and said “we’re laying it with Ga Southern…two teams going in opposite directions based on coaching hires.” So they are making another Non-Power 5 selection. Powers likes their offense and defense…defense he very positive. He is anti-Coastal and their coaching. Payne thinks Coastal overrated and coaching bad.

LSU @ Ole Miss +2.5/67.5:
Ole Miss is 1-9 in SEC games when held to 28 or fewer and 13-3 when scoring at least 29. This is Kelly’s first game agst a ranked road opponent while at LSU. LSU has lost last 3 road games vs ranked opponents and have not played such a game since the ‘21 season. LSU holds longest current OVER streak of FBS teams with 8. Ole Miss has gone UNDER 7 straight games agst AP ranked opponents, avg closing total line is a shade less than 61 and avg score ends shade less than 45.

Payne: “No doubt Ole Miss improved defensively year over year and allowing less than less than 3 points when teams get inside their 40. But, does not think this is a TOP 30ish defense and it is stepping up in class vs a Top 5 offense.” He thinks LSU finds success thru the air where Ole Miss is outside Top 95 on defense. Long/short he thinks Daniels and receivers can win and LSU O Line is very good “I think LSU is going to score some points here boys.”

Ole Miss O has looked not very good vs Tulane and Bama. LSU has questions on pass defense (Arkansas), and Powers thinks “Ole Miss offense has the edge” vs LSU defense. But, Jackson Dart has taken brutal shots and he questions some of his throws with wide open receivers. There is inconsistency with running back and receivers as well as the O line which is ranked #56 per PFF. Dart has been best rusher on the team but he cannot continue to take the shots running. Franklin, the new portal rb from UTSA, is running with 1st team in this week’s practice. Dart and receivers can have success agst LSU secondary which is outside top 100 in several categories. Powers was essentially very disappointed in LSU defense, particularly the back 7, he likes LSU D line.

Kansas @ Texas -16.5/63:
OU is up next for Texas. Both teams 4-0 and both teams score over 30 points in all 4 games. Last 3 games have been high scoring. KU returned more O players than any team in country. Texas strength is their defense.

Powers: It’s going to be “strength vs strength” KU O vs Texas D. He really like KU’s play caller on offense. He puts defenses facing multiple formations, groupings and KU will be best O Texas has faced. Daniels, KU QB, is Top 20 in QBR and has nice runners and receivers and the KU has continuity from last year. Texas D is best KU has faced, but Texas can let up some explosive pass plays. Texas up front is good and Sweat in the middle is #1 graded interior lineman in nation. He likes Texas linebackers. Texas secondary has not been as good as the front seven and tackling has been an issue. There is a path to success for both KU O and Texas D. “If you made me say, slight edge to the Texas defense.”

Texas has a 21 pt qtr in each of 1st 4 games. Ewers has protected the football. Jonathan Brooks has chance for 3 straight 100 yards games. Payne: “Ewers one turnover worthy play this season.” Texas is outside Top 90 in rushing success and has only 15 runs of 10+ yards and 4 of them by Ewers. Texas only avg 3.9 points pr trip inside the 40. Sark understands Texas needs to improve. Saying all that, Kansas is getting a big step up for their defense and not sure they can handle it. Offenses KU has faced avg rank is 85 and “now they face a fringe top 10 Texas offense.” Best O KU has faced is BYU and KU allowed them to be successful on 65% of their standard down passes. Ewers is not good on completion rate under pressure and he can be sacked - problem is that KU is not getting any sort of pressure. “I don’t see many stops here...I don’t see a path to getting Texas off the field very frequently.” Texas will want to get out early and then turn focus to OU.

Powers has upgraded Texas 2 pts since start of year. Defense front 7 and Ewers upgraded. Kansas has been upgraded, he probably did not give them enough credit before start of season and they upgraded 3 points.

BET BEST Season 4-0 and “beaten the market by about 3 points, but it can’t continue to be that easy.”
TCU -12 at home vs WVa. (I am now seeing -13 -115).

Clay Travis Week #5
WEEK #4: 7-6-1
SEASON: 30-25-1

Utah @ OreSt UNDER 45.5 WON
This is a bet on the Utah defense. It’s managed to take the air out of every game it has played this season.I don’t know why that would change, even on the road, against Oregon State. This game is going to be played in the mud and everyone who has the under will exult on Friday night when we cash our first winner of the week.

PennState -25.5 @ NWstrn WON
I’m finished betting against Penn State. The Nittany Lions are just flat out mauling their opponents. They’ve scored 30 or more in 11 straight games and last week’s game against Iowa was a complete and total beatdown. Iowa posted less than 100 total yards and only four first downs, that’s nearly impossible to do. Why would that change on the road against a Northwestern team that, I think, will struggle to score at all against Penn State. The Nittany Lions win 38-7.

Kansas +17 @ Texas LOST
Quick question, did you know Kansas was 4-0 this year?I bet you didn’t. Granted the opposition has not been fierce, but there was a time when the Kansas football team would have lost against air. This is a big number, especially for a Jayhawks team that is catching Texas the week before the rivalry game against Oklahoma. I’m not saying the Longhorns will lose, but I am saying Texas fans may well be nervous in the fourth quarter of this one. Rock chalk coverhawk, give me Kansas.

Florida @ KY-2.5 WON
The Wildcats are going to win for a third straight year. Really. Florida’s just not a good team and I don’t think Mark Stoops or his program is intimidated by the Gators at all. It should be an electric environment in Lexington — remember Kentucky didn’t beat the Gators from 1984 to 2018 so this series still has a lot of magic for Wildcat fans — and I just don’t think the Gators have much on the offensive side of the ball if you stop their rushing attack, which I think Kentucky will do. The end result?
Tap the veins, boys and girls, it’s my blood bank guarantee: Kentucky wins 27-14

A&M @ Ark +6.5 (Game is in Dallas) LOST
This might be the craziest rivalry that no one talks about in college football. For most of these games, it’s basically been Texas A&M figuring out different ways to break the hearts of Arkansas fans. The Aggies have won 10 of the last 11 games in this series, including a brutal missed-field-goal finale last year. So what happens Saturday in Jerry’s World?I think it’s another field goal game. Which means, deep breath, all the value is on Arkansas as nearly a touchdown underdog. Woo pig for the cover.

Clemson @ Syracuse+7 LOST
Clemson just lost an incredibly tough game against its bitter rival and now it heads on the road against an undefeated Syracuse team that has played the Tigers tough.
The last two games of the series have been six-point and three-point wins for Clemson and don’t forget in 2018 Syracuse went on the road and won at Clemson.
A touchdown is too much here, Syracuse covers — and just might win outright.

USC @ Colorado +21.5 WON
Everyone is jumping off the Colorado bandwagon this week, but I feel like the USC defensive performance on the road against Arizona State is being completely overlooked. Sure, Colorado might not be able to block anyone again this week, but the Buffaloes will play better at home and remember this game is kicking off at 9 a.m. west coast time. Surely, that will impact the Trojans body clocks at least a bit. If the defense has been awful already, why wouldn’t that be more the case earlier in the day? I’ve got Deion’s team covering and losing by 14.

Indiana @ Maryland -14 WON
The great thing about gambling is sometimes you fall in love with a team that no one else pays attention to, like the Maryland Terrapins. The Terps are rolling over all competition and that continues Saturday when they rout an Indiana team that needed overtime to beat Akron. It turns out there’s three things Maryland knows — crab cakes, football and covering. The Terps win by 20+.

Georgia -14.5 @ Auburn LOST
Now that we’ve entered the SEC schedule, I just don’t see Auburn able to score many points against elite defenses. And Georgia most definitely has an elite defense.
Georgia has won six in a row in this series and most of them haven’t been particularly close. I think that continues Saturday between the hedges where Georgia wins 35-14.

Michigan @ Nebraska +17.5 LOST
After two straight defeats to start the season, the Cornhuskers have righted the ship and won two straight at home. Now Michigan, who is 4-0 but hasn’t looked that impressive offensively, is on the road as a huge favorite. I just don’t see a ton of points being scored in this game and if I’m right then this number is way too high.
And let’s be honest, when am I ever wrong? The Big Red covers and loses by 10.

Mizzu @ Vandy +14 LOST
Yes, Mizzou is 4-0, but here are their margin of victories against FBS opponents: MTSU by four, Kansas State by three, Memphis by seven. And all of those were at home. Now you’re telling me the Tigers are going to go on the road and win by over two touchdowns against Vanderbilt? I just don’t see it happening. The Commodores +14 is the play.

LSU @ Ole Miss +2.5 WON
I think Lane Kiffin’s Rebels win this game outright. But I love them as the home underdog. LSU couldn’t stop Arkansas at home and Ole Miss is recovering from a winnable game they let pass them by in Tuscaloosa. Last time these teams played in Oxford the Lane train won by 14. This time it’s closer, Ole Miss by seven, which means you cover by nearly ten points if you take the Rebels as the home underdog.

S Carolina +12.5 @ Tenny LOST
I’ve stared at this line for over 24 hours now. I just don’t get it. Last year Tennessee gave up 63 points to Spencer Rattler’s Gamecocks and got blown out in Columbia, South Carolina. This year Spencer Rattler is back — he completed 16 straight passes against Mississippi State last week — and Tennessee hasn’t been that great on defense and you’re telling me the Vols are going to win by two touchdowns? I think Spencer Rattler is likely to pick apart this defense all over again. Remember South Carolina went down to Athens and dominated the Bulldogs in the first half and kept it close for the entire game. I get the revenge angle and the wild Neyland Stadium at night aspect of this game — which is why I think Tennessee finds a way to win — but I just don’t see needing to win by two touchdowns to cover. I’m on the Gamecocks with all these points. (By the way, this is one of these Vegas lines that is so terrifying I understand if you don’t bet it at all. I’d bet 90% of the bets here are going to be on South Carolina. Which means every site is going to need the Vols big. When that happens, Vegas doesn’t lose big very often. I’m just saying.)

N.D. @ Duke +5.5 LOST
The Fighting Irish just lost in the most heartbreaking fashion imaginable and now they have to go on the road for what should be, really, a raucous home crowd at Duke. The Blue Devils are hosting Gameday for football for the first time ever and I think they’ll be ripe to pull off yet another major home upset. Give me Duke plus the points and I think the Blue Devils win outright.

Bama @ Messy +15.5 LOST
If I believe that Alabama’s offense is not very good — and I do — and that Alabama will likely struggle on the road, which I do, why would I not leap on the chance to take the home Bulldogs plus over two touchdowns? I’m either going to look like a genius on this pick and it’s going to be a three-point game late in the fourth quarter or Alabama is going to win 42-3 and I’m going to look like a complete idiot. I don’t see any middle ground. Cowbells, clanga, let’s cover.

Last edited:
I think powers is a ND fan and one those fans that usually thinks/sees his team in negative light. I respect all those dudes opinions but I take his ND perspective w a grain of salt. I’m on board with Payne and have mentioned this somewhere, I have a very tough time seeing duke offense having success vs the Irish d!! ND secondary has proven to me they can handle duke wrs without much help so I’d expect them to be able to commit whatever it takes to stopping Leonard’s legs/duke run game! Other side I’m incredibly confident Irish can bully duke with their run game, the only way I see duke slowing that down is committing extra guys and then Hartman will make them pay!! I love ND this week and I’m not buying a letdown, I’m sure they were bummed losing last week the way they did but I think that will only help them have a intense week of practice, I don’t think it hurts them having to hear bout the 10 guys on field shit all week either!! Imo Irish still have a clear path to the playoff so now every game is a must and I don’t think a letdown coming with game day coming to duke and all the hype for this one!! I think less than a td is generous and I’d be shocked if Irish don’t win this game by 7+!

I think powers is a ND fan and one those fans that usually thinks/sees his team in negative light. I respect all those dudes opinions but I take his ND perspective w a grain of salt. I’m on board with Payne and have mentioned this somewhere, I have a very tough time seeing duke offense having success vs the Irish d!! ND secondary has proven to me they can handle duke wrs without much help so I’d expect them to be able to commit whatever it takes to stopping Leonard’s legs/duke run game! Other side I’m incredibly confident Irish can bully duke with their run game, the only way I see duke slowing that down is committing extra guys and then Hartman will make them pay!! I love ND this week and I’m not buying a letdown, I’m sure they were bummed losing last week the way they did but I think that will only help them have a intense week of practice, I don’t think it hurts them having to hear bout the 10 guys on field shit all week either!! Imo Irish still have a clear path to the playoff so now every game is a must and I don’t think a letdown coming with game day coming to duke and all the hype for this one!! I think less than a td is generous and I’d be shocked if Irish don’t win this game by 7+!
I am on Notre Dame too. I dont understand this line. I may fade Notre dame next week after this night prime time ABC game because they play louisville with USC lurking on deck for Notre dame

Thanks for getting this up early, Bones. Here's what I have so far:

Stanford Steve—(3-4) 12-9) Three Year Record (103-79)
Duke +5x Lose
LSU -2x Lose
Kansas +16 Lose
Kentucky -1 Win
Oregon State -3x Win
Baylor +11x Win
E Carolina Lose

The Bear—(1-4) 9-16) Three Year Record (98-89)

U.H +8.5 Lose
Indiana +14.5 Lose
A&M -6 Win
Nebraska TT Under 10.5 Lose
Auburn TT Under 15.5 Lose Best Bet

Scott Van Pelt—(5-3) (24-21) Three Year Record (164-125)

NC St +3x Win
So Alabama +2x Lose
Auburn +14 Win
Vandy +13x Lose
Ole Miss +2x Win
Duke +5x Lose
Va Tech +2x Win
Arizona +18x Win

Other Pickers:
Adam Kramer—(6-3) (25-19) (75-52)

Oregon State -3x Win
Texas Tech -8x Win
Auburn +14 Win
N Dame/Duke 0 5x Win
Ole Miss +2x Win
S Alabama +3 Lose
Cal -12x Lose
N C State +3x Win
Iowa -12x Lose

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five—(4-1) (7-11-2) Three Year Record (94-100)

Jacksonville -3 30-23 Win
Buffalo -3 31-27 Win
Tennessee +2x 27-23 Win
Minnesota -4 26-17 Win
New England +6x 23-27 Lose

My Picks— (3-0) (11-6) Teasers (4-5) Three Year Record (150-97)

BYU -1 Win
Oregon State -3 Win
Kentucky -1 Win
Teaser, BYU/Oregon State W, Teaser, Kentucky/Syracuse L

Joe Fortenbaugh— (1-0) (6-8) Two Year Record (45-41)
USC/Colorado o 73

Last edited:
You always have good insight on the ACC, 2daBank. I liked N C State, especially at home, as soon as I saw the line and now I see Kramer has them as one of his picks.

How do you see that game?

You always have good insight on the ACC, 2daBank. I liked N C State, especially at home, as soon as I saw the line and now I see Kramer has them as one of his picks.

How do you see that game?

Very tough game, my biggest problem is I don’t have a good feel for ville defense under Brohm, no secret I’m not a huge fan of ncst “new” offense any more than previous versions, having Armstrong run the same system they been using at cuse last few years with a extra twist of the head coaches penchant to be ultra conservative looks like the same garbage just in a different wrapper! That doesn’t surprise me much as I kinda expected that. What is more concerning for me I’m not sure ncst d is on the level of years past!

Ville d the last few years was able to totally bottle Armstrong legs up when he was at uva, he had good passing numbers but they held him to minus rushing yards. I’m not sure Armstrong can win games without picking up 1st downs w his legs? When ville played cuse they mostly did a good job on Shrader in the run game, I use these 2 cause ncst is running cuse offense with Armstrong now. Problem is we have a entirely new staff at ville now, I think this shows they have more than enough talent in their front 7 to contain a qb running in this offense, this qb in particular. I dimt think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out this ncst offense, you take away Armstrings ability to run and you press the living shit out the wrs cause I wouldn’t fear Armstrong arm beating me deep, if he gets you once so what? For most part they will not be moving the ball if you do those 2 things. I don’t think the bc qb or Gtech are good comps as those qbs more athletic, better throwers, and mostly scramble off designed passes.

I think ville can hold ncst offense to 20-24 at most, So that pretty much my starting point on deciding if I can back either side. What will ville score? Id thjnk ncst can keep them to 30 or less, can they hold them to 27 or lower? Im not sure? I don’t love a side in this game. If I had to make a play I lean under 55.5. I have a very hard time thinking this a high scoring game, if it goes over I think it prob cause ville offense is better than I think. I just don’t think ncst can hang in a game they allow ville to score 30+, I expect this to be fairly close to for me under makes more sense than anything else. The other 2 things I would consider is Armstrong under 51.5 rush yards or his passing yards over 240.5 (actually annoyed cause think I Saw this in 230s the other day). Sorry I don’t have a better answer but there just some things bout this game I’m not super confident about mostly cause I don’t know this ville dc very well, or either one as apparently they have co-dc’s? Lol. Wtf is that?

I’m incredibly low on ncst tho, they look pretty damn terrible to me, I have a very hard time wanting to back them, that said I don’t know that ville is good enough to be laying poiints on the road? Lot of unknown for me since ville has a entirely new coaching staff. I do think if ya like ncst ya might as well play under or Armstrong passing props cause I believe he will have to beat them thru the air to put up points.

Powers is big ND fan and talks about it

Powers is big ND fan and talks about it

I know, I think he one those pessimistic type fans what im saying. He seems to always have a bit a negative view of ND, I think he thought osu was gonna smash them.

Payne on the other hand a fsu fan but think his takes on them are much more even keeled which I like. Same way I am with baseball cardinals, im not crazy rah rah my teams great guy, I’m not mr bummer my teams blows guy, I just tell it like it is with them, when I think they can/will win more than price suggest I bet them, when I don’t I bet against them, my ultimate fandom lies with my wallet!

Here's Bet the Board for Week #5.

Recap of last week’s games per Payne or Powers:
Florida State critical of running on second and long, 14 times for 5 yds/zero success. FSU toughed it out; Clemson was playing the best they can play.
Bama “top 5 defense” now.
Ohio State Powers not impressed…McCord had a lot of turnover worthy plays and OSU O line did not look good, ND D line won that battle. Lot of questions re OSU.
Connor Weigman Downgrade: Powers has downgraded A&M 1 to 1.5 points with Weigman out.

Utah @ Oregon State -3.5/44.5: Payne thinks that line will move to Beavers -1.5 if Rising plays.
Beavers are 13-1 straight up & ATS in last 14 home games. Utah has hard time on the road. Wittingham has said “we must stretch the field” but can they? Beavers 2dary looked bad in 1H vs Wazzu. Payne does not know if Rising going to play. Payne: If Rising not playing then they will not have much O success. The Beavers D line “can kinda get bullied, but Utah O line not been great getting push…Beavers defense secondary outside of top 100…Utah’s receivers not as good as Wazzu’s Wazzu pass plays 60% wins and 25% explosive agst Beavers, but w/o Rising Utah cannot throw Utah has 39% success rate passing and outside the Top 80 passing game.”

Powers thinks Beavers will run and try to prevent DJU from making mistakes. DJU is less than 50% passing last 2 weeks. He thinks Beavers’ play calling has been bad and DJU needs to have more designed runs. This will be best O line Utah D has faced in the run game, but they are not as good at pass blocking. Utah is #3 in country in stopping the run. Beavers need to try more deep passes to good wide receivers (Bolden & Gould). Utah has #1 edge rusher in nation and the Utah D has “players at every level. But,Utah left receivers open in downfield passing that UCLA QB missed” so Beavers will likely have passing opportunities. “Utah D is good but are they really good?” is the question based on Utah’s schedule thus far.

Florida @ KY -1/ 44 : KY has won first 4 games by 11 or more pts, but has lost 4 of 5 last conference home games. Gators have lost 8 of last 9 on the road. Florida 57th road game as ranked team vs unranked opponent since 1995, first time as underdog. They have gone 47-9 ATS but lost the last 2 times vs KY and LSU.

Powers on KY O vs Gators D. Leary for KY has career high for ints already this season. Counting stats say KY looks good but they have played weakest strength of schedule of the Top 40 teams according to Powers. “Ky can look explosive but they have only run 220 plays (55 a game) third fewest in the country….see some signs for worry…only 47% success rate on O, worried re O line and Leary has 83 QBR and less than 50% completion rate.” Powers has seen throws which make him question Leary’s injury to Pec muscle. He likes KY running back and 3 wide receivers. Gator’s # 5 total D and PFF grades it #10 D in country. He likes Austin Armstrong…Florida D “has exceeded expectations.” Gators have given up explosives. Florida “ate alive” Charlotte’s pro-style qb and when they brought in the option qb they moved the ball. KY may have tough time moving the ball with Leary, but they have always played one of best games agst Florida.

Florida offense is 55th in country in yds per play and last in SEC in scoring. Mertz leads SEC in completion % but is last in air yds per attempts and has only thrown 4 TD passes and was sacked 3 times last week. Payne says Gator Offense is ugly if they cannot run ball. But O line will be back together this week and have not been for some prior games. KY D numbers may be skewed b/c of their weaker prior opponents. Vandy was able to run agst Ky and Gators may be able to do so? Napier has been good coach in helping Mertz. KY is outside Top 70 in passing success rate allowed even with soft schedule. “The betting market has sniffed the game out as we have seen line move from -3 to -1 and O/U from 47 to 44.” Gators will try and grind game out and have a controlled pass game.

Sounds like they liked Gators and UNDER at earlier numbers but now lines are about right and no call was made

Notre Dame @ Duke (they neglected to give Line they were looking at):
Last time a ranked Duke team hosted a ranked opponent was 1994 when #23 Duke hosted #13 Virginia and won 28-25. Gameday makes its maiden trip to Duke. Elko has evidently said: “I’m not sure our team is ready for the circus to come to town.” Elko is 13-4 thru first 17 and best 17 game start in school history. Duke won 1st 4 games by 21 points.

Powers: ND had “missed opportunity” last week, it was “devastating.” He worries that ND players may have bad let down this week. Powers was surprised by success of ND interior O line vs Ohio State - got push agst OSU. Big thing to keep eye on are injuries to wide receivers; Thomas has a hamstring, another receiver is out and Salerno in slot has been out. Versus Ohio State ND receivers had only 8 catches for 94 yds. Duke #4 in country in pass D, but this has been agst lesser opponents. He does like ND’s T.E. Mitch Evans. “ND O line owned OSU at times.” Duke D is very well coached and does not do dumb things or commit dumb penalties. Duke allows 4.4 yds per pass attempt, the best in nation. Clemson gashed Duke in run game at times. Remember, Clemson was inside the Duke 10 yd line 3 times and came away with ZERO points…should worry you if you are Duke. Last week, U Conn‘s right side O line got top PFF line grades in country against Duke defense (Powers was skeptical). He thinks ND and Estime can run the ball effectively and ND should keep it simple. ”This will be best team Duke has faced in the Elko era.” Besides a test of the Duke D, Duke qb, Leonard, will face his toughest test.

Payne says he “spent 5 hours trying to figure out how Duke will move the ball.” ND Defense graded out very well vs Buckeyes. They only allowed 27% successful runs and only 4% of the run plays gained 10+ yards. Payne: The question is what is the ND mindset after last week? The Duke Oline “has come back to Earth” since Clemson game. Payne thinks ND secondary has played well. “Game is a total pass to me right now based on the line.” He said if ND “is able to show full out then the line is short.” Payne thought ND offensive game plan last week was “dogshit.” Hartmann looked very good agst Ohio State and they lost b/c of “the coaching staff let the players down.” He thought ND beat OSU badly.

Sounds as if they like ND but are worried after last week. Powers upgraded ND’s power rating as did Payne. Duke power rating has also been upgraded.

Coastal Carolina vs Ga Southern -6.5/64: Powers gives edge to Ga Southern and said “we’re laying it with Ga Southern…two teams going in opposite directions based on coaching hires.” So they are making another Non-Power 5 selection. Powers likes their offense and defense…defense he very positive. He is anti-Coastal and their coaching. Payne thinks Coastal overrated and coaching bad.

LSU @ Ole Miss +2.5/67.5:
Ole Miss is 1-9 in SEC games when held to 28 or fewer and 13-3 when scoring at least 29. This is Kelly’s first game agst a ranked road opponent while at LSU. LSU has lost last 3 road games vs ranked opponents and have not played such a game since the ‘21 season. LSU holds longest current OVER streak of FBS teams with 8. Ole Miss has gone UNDER 7 straight games agst AP ranked opponents, avg closing total line is a shade less than 61 and avg score ends shade less than 45.

Payne: “No doubt Ole Miss improved defensively year over year and allowing less than less than 3 points when teams get inside their 40. But, does not think this is a TOP 30ish defense and it is stepping up in class vs a Top 5 offense.” He thinks LSU finds success thru the air where Ole Miss is outside Top 95 on defense. Long/short he thinks Daniels and receivers can win and LSU O Line is very good “I think LSU is going to score some points here boys.”

Ole Miss O has looked not very good vs Tulane and Bama. LSU has questions on pass defense (Arkansas), and Powers thinks “Ole Miss offense has the edge” vs LSU defense. But, Jackson Dart has taken brutal shots and he questions some of his throws with wide open receivers. There is inconsistency with running back and receivers as well as the O line which is ranked #56 per PFF. Dart has been best rusher on the team but he cannot continue to take the shots running. Franklin, the new portal rb from UTSA, is running with 1st team in this week’s practice. Dart and receivers can have success agst LSU secondary which is outside top 100 in several categories. Powers was essentially very disappointed in LSU defense, particularly the back 7, he likes LSU D line.

Kansas @ Texas -16.5/63:
OU is up next for Texas. Both teams 4-0 and both teams score over 30 points in all 4 games. Last 3 games have been high scoring. KU returned more O players than any team in country. Texas strength is their defense.

Powers: It’s going to be “strength vs strength” KU O vs Texas D. He really like KU’s play caller on offense. He puts defenses facing multiple formations, groupings and KU will be best O Texas has faced. Daniels, KU QB, is Top 20 in QBR and has nice runners and receivers and the KU has continuity from last year. Texas D is best KU has faced, but Texas can let up some explosive pass plays. Texas up front is good and Sweat in the middle is #1 graded interior lineman in nation. He likes Texas linebackers. Texas secondary has not been as good as the front seven and tackling has been an issue. There is a path to success for both KU O and Texas D. “If you made me say, slight edge to the Texas defense.”

Texas has a 21 pt qtr in each of 1st 4 games. Ewers has protected the football. Jonathan Brooks has chance for 3 straight 100 yards games. Payne: “Ewers one turnover worthy play this season.” Texas is outside Top 90 in rushing success and has only 15 runs of 10+ yards and 4 of them by Ewers. Texas only avg 3.9 points pr trip inside the 40. Sark understands Texas needs to improve. Saying all that, Kansas is getting a big step up for their defense and not sure they can handle it. Offenses KU has faced avg rank is 85 and “now they face a fringe top 10 Texas offense.” Best O KU has faced is BYU and KU allowed them to be successful on 65% of their standard down passes. Ewers is not good on completion rate under pressure and he can be sacked - problem is that KU is not getting any sort of pressure. “I don’t see many stops here...I don’t see a path to getting Texas off the field very frequently.” Texas will want to get out early and then turn focus to OU.

Powers has upgraded Texas 2 pts since start of year. Defense front 7 and Ewers upgraded. Kansas has been upgraded, he probably did not give them enough credit before start of season and they upgraded 3 points.

BET BEST Season 4-0 and “beaten the market by about 3 points, but it can’t continue to be that easy.”
TCU -12 at home vs WVa. (I am now seeing -13 -115).
Yes indeed, TCU.

Very tough game, my biggest problem is I don’t have a good feel for ville defense under Brohm, no secret I’m not a huge fan of ncst “new” offense any more than previous versions, having Armstrong run the same system they been using at cuse last few years with a extra twist of the head coaches penchant to be ultra conservative looks like the same garbage just in a different wrapper! That doesn’t surprise me much as I kinda expected that. What is more concerning for me I’m not sure ncst d is on the level of years past!

Ville d the last few years was able to totally bottle Armstrong legs up when he was at uva, he had good passing numbers but they held him to minus rushing yards. I’m not sure Armstrong can win games without picking up 1st downs w his legs? When ville played cuse they mostly did a good job on Shrader in the run game, I use these 2 cause ncst is running cuse offense with Armstrong now. Problem is we have a entirely new staff at ville now, I think this shows they have more than enough talent in their front 7 to contain a qb running in this offense, this qb in particular. I dimt think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out this ncst offense, you take away Armstrings ability to run and you press the living shit out the wrs cause I wouldn’t fear Armstrong arm beating me deep, if he gets you once so what? For most part they will not be moving the ball if you do those 2 things. I don’t think the bc qb or Gtech are good comps as those qbs more athletic, better throwers, and mostly scramble off designed passes.

I think ville can hold ncst offense to 20-24 at most, So that pretty much my starting point on deciding if I can back either side. What will ville score? Id thjnk ncst can keep them to 30 or less, can they hold them to 27 or lower? Im not sure? I don’t love a side in this game. If I had to make a play I lean under 55.5. I have a very hard time thinking this a high scoring game, if it goes over I think it prob cause ville offense is better than I think. I just don’t think ncst can hang in a game they allow ville to score 30+, I expect this to be fairly close to for me under makes more sense than anything else. The other 2 things I would consider is Armstrong under 51.5 rush yards or his passing yards over 240.5 (actually annoyed cause think I Saw this in 230s the other day). Sorry I don’t have a better answer but there just some things bout this game I’m not super confident about mostly cause I don’t know this ville dc very well, or either one as apparently they have co-dc’s? Lol. Wtf is that?
It shocked me to see Armstrong is still just a shadow of what he was at UVA, specially since they brought in his OC from UVA this year. I'm relying more on the NC State D than the offense anyway. That and one of the best home SU records in football

It shocked me to see Armstrong is still just a shadow of what he was at UVA, specially since they brought in his OC from UVA this year. I'm relying more on the NC State D than the offense anyway. That and one of the best home SU records in football

Imo ncst d have fallen off quite a bit. They still might be the best d ville has faced but think there probably a argument between them and indiana (which speaks to how far i think they fallen off. Like I was saying tho, if you betting ncst hanging your hat on the d I think the under makes just as much sense cause that offense might have a different wrapper but still seems like total shit to me! It the Doeren factor, last week against Uva they had a chance to step on their throats with a 8 point lead the entire 4th qrtr and this clown basically went to a 4 corners offense, rather than trying to score and put the game away he did the run run run, punt and gave Uva so many chances to finally score and tie the game, he got lucky to be able to kick the game winning fg, and even luckier to get several chances at it! It was another pathetic coaching job and the reason I have a hard time backing them, makes the under very appealing tho!!

Bears repeating from upstairs:

Beavers are 13-1 straight up & ATS in last 14 home games

Without Rising , and everything I’ve heard combined w line up to -4 suggest he not playing, I think this a slam dunk play on beavers. Just like I was skeptical of ucla bringing a young inexperienced qb to Utah last week, utes bringing this kid to Corvallis is a recipe for disaster imo. I don’t think utes can win this game playing the 4 corners kill the clock offense and strong d! As much i respect what utes been able to do w so many injuries I think this a huge ask!! I’ll pay to see it. My only concern is utes run d and if they can force DJ to make throws, I still don’t completely trust him! I do trust the beavers coaching tho and think they will find ways for him to make easy plays! DJ legs could be a huge factor, was really hoping to see a rush prop for him but thus far no luck! Lol

I look at the records of these so called professionals. Don’t waste your time or money you have alot better handicappers right on this site.

Bears' Bets
Season 9-12
Best Bets 2-2

U.H +8.5/+9
Bear doesn't like Tech w/o Schough at QB LOSE
Indiana +14.5
Situation wager with MD having OSU next week and prior teams played LOSE
A&M -6
FYI: Game at Jerry World WIN
Nebraska TT Under 10.5
Nebraska will not get many possessions and they cannot get enuf points WIN
Best Bet Auburn TT Under 15.5 LOSE

Sidekick (Schwartz) Best Bet 2-2 for year:
UNDER 44.5 Utah @ Oregon ( am now seeing 43.5) WIN

Last edited:
My Selections
WEEK#4: 8-2
SEASON: 33-19

WEEK #5

Tulane -21 1 Unit -120 LOSE
TCU -13 1 Unit -115 LOSE
Oregon State TT Over 23.5 1 Unit -125 LOSE (really out thought myself - why not just take Beavers?)
Florida +1 1 Unit -110 LOSE

Current Leans:

Oregon State TT Over 23.5
Texas Longhorns TT Over
LSU -2.5 but considering Ole Miss ML
ND -5.5
Florida but missed the + number

Last edited:
I look at the records of these so called professionals. Don’t waste your time or money you have alot better handicappers right on this site.
I do not think we "trust them" (speaking for most everyone, I think) but I do find it interesting for some of them.

However, listening to Bet the Board podcast is a must for me. They really are not "pickers" but pregame analyzers, and very good ones. If nothing else it makes you think about factors to consider and/or reconsider thoughts/ideas you have. Its worked for me. You can go back and look at their analysis of the games and see that it is often (usually?) very good. Their record this year of 4-0, in the 1 game they pick each week, has been good.

@twinkie13 What you think about LSU this week? I have been to 2 of these games, 1 in Oxford and 1 in Baton Rouge, The fans are brutal to each other. My instinct is that LSU beats them by 20 or loses by 1

@twinkie13 What you think about LSU this week? I have been to 2 of these games, 1 in Oxford and 1 in Baton Rouge, The fans are brutal to each other. My instinct is that LSU beats them by 20 or loses by 1
Yea it’s a great rivalry. Hottest women you’ll see in a large setting.

I agree with you. I had Arky last week. I said that’s way too much. Here I feel it’s pretty cheap. And that’s what gives the slightest pause. But I’ll likely lay it.

Clay Travis Week #5

Clemson @ Syracuse+7
Clemson just lost an incredibly tough game against its bitter rival and now it heads on the road against an undefeated Syracuse team that has played the Tigers tough.
The last two games of the series have been six-point and three-point wins for Clemson and don’t forget in 2018 Syracuse went on the road and won at Clemson.
No, it didn't. Syracuse has never won at Clemson, and the 2018 team didn't lose to anyone. It was the first team to go 15-0 since 1897.

I agree with you. I had Arky last week. I said that’s way too much. Here I feel it’s pretty cheap. And that’s what gives the slightest pause. But I’ll likely lay
I fell in love when I went to this game in '92, the last time it was played in Jackson.

I agree with you. I had Arky last week. I said that’s way too much. Here I feel it’s pretty cheap. And that’s what gives the slightest pause. But I’ll likely lay it.
For the last decade or so I would have automatically bet Kelly in this situation, but this LSU team puzzles me. For one thing, Perkins looked like the best defensive player in the country most of last year, but this year he seems to be a non-factor. For another, it seems strange to see an LSU team--or a Kelly team for that matter--where the QB is the most important player in the run game.

If I bet this game at all it will be on a teaser

I do not think we "trust them" (speaking for most everyone, I think) but I do find it interesting for some of them.

However, listening to Bet the Board podcast is a must for me. They really are not "pickers" but pregame analyzers, and very good ones. If nothing else it makes you think about factors to consider and/or reconsider thoughts/ideas you have. Its worked for me. You can go back and look at their analysis of the games and see that it is often (usually?) very good. Their record this year of 4-0, in the 1 game they pick each week, has been good.

Fuhrman is always a must-listen - chock full of good info and insights. He's on The Next Round every Friday and I always tune in.

Under was def the play in that game, I told ya that ncst offense is freaking terrible. The d actually did better than i expected against ville but when your entire offense is running the qb up the middle for 3ypc you not gonna win many games!

Added Kentucky -1

I’d like to hear your thoughts here, I really don’t like Leary at all and I think uk gonna have a very tough time running on gators with those massive d-tackles they rotate 5 deep! Mertz is actually starting to grow on me, I def prefer him to Leary and I really like the gators rb’s.

Adding Florida +1 and that will be it for the week.* Have stuff to do unfortunately.

*I might take LSU and/or Under, but we (she) agreed to go to a function and I won't see but about 1/2 the 1st qtr

Clay Travis Week #5

Utah @ OreSt UNDER 45.5 WON
This is a bet on the Utah defense. It’s managed to take the air out of every game it has played this season.I don’t know why that would change, even on the road, against Oregon State. This game is going to be played in the mud and everyone who has the under will exult on Friday night when we cash our first winner of the week.

PennState -25.5 @ NWstrn WON
I’m finished betting against Penn State. The Nittany Lions are just flat out mauling their opponents. They’ve scored 30 or more in 11 straight games and last week’s game against Iowa was a complete and total beatdown. Iowa posted less than 100 total yards and only four first downs, that’s nearly impossible to do. Why would that change on the road against a Northwestern team that, I think, will struggle to score at all against Penn State. The Nittany Lions win 38-7.

Kansas +17 @ Texas LOST
Quick question, did you know Kansas was 4-0 this year?I bet you didn’t. Granted the opposition has not been fierce, but there was a time when the Kansas football team would have lost against air. This is a big number, especially for a Jayhawks team that is catching Texas the week before the rivalry game against Oklahoma. I’m not saying the Longhorns will lose, but I am saying Texas fans may well be nervous in the fourth quarter of this one. Rock chalk coverhawk, give me Kansas.

Florida @ KY-2.5 WON
The Wildcats are going to win for a third straight year. Really. Florida’s just not a good team and I don’t think Mark Stoops or his program is intimidated by the Gators at all. It should be an electric environment in Lexington — remember Kentucky didn’t beat the Gators from 1984 to 2018 so this series still has a lot of magic for Wildcat fans — and I just don’t think the Gators have much on the offensive side of the ball if you stop their rushing attack, which I think Kentucky will do. The end result?
Tap the veins, boys and girls, it’s my blood bank guarantee: Kentucky wins 27-14

A&M @ Ark +6.5 (Game is in Dallas) LOST
This might be the craziest rivalry that no one talks about in college football. For most of these games, it’s basically been Texas A&M figuring out different ways to break the hearts of Arkansas fans. The Aggies have won 10 of the last 11 games in this series, including a brutal missed-field-goal finale last year. So what happens Saturday in Jerry’s World?I think it’s another field goal game. Which means, deep breath, all the value is on Arkansas as nearly a touchdown underdog. Woo pig for the cover.

Clemson @ Syracuse+7 LOST

USC @ Colorado +21.5 WON
Everyone is jumping off the Colorado bandwagon this week, but I feel like the USC defensive performance on the road against Arizona State is being completely overlooked. Sure, Colorado might not be able to block anyone again this week, but the Buffaloes will play better at home and remember this game is kicking off at 9 a.m. west coast time. Surely, that will impact the Trojans body clocks at least a bit. If the defense has been awful already, why wouldn’t that be more the case earlier in the day? I’ve got Deion’s team covering and losing by 14.

Indiana @ Maryland -14 WON
The great thing about gambling is sometimes you fall in love with a team that no one else pays attention to, like the Maryland Terrapins. The Terps are rolling over all competition and that continues Saturday when they rout an Indiana team that needed overtime to beat Akron. It turns out there’s three things Maryland knows — crab cakes, football and covering. The Terps win by 20+.

Georgia -14.5 @ Auburn LOST
Now that we’ve entered the SEC schedule, I just don’t see Auburn able to score many points against elite defenses. And Georgia most definitely has an elite defense.
Georgia has won six in a row in this series and most of them haven’t been particularly close. I think that continues Saturday between the hedges where Georgia wins 35-14.

Michigan @ Nebraska +17.5 LOST
After two straight defeats to start the season, the Cornhuskers have righted the ship and won two straight at home. Now Michigan, who is 4-0 but hasn’t looked that impressive offensively, is on the road as a huge favorite. I just don’t see a ton of points being scored in this game and if I’m right then this number is way too high.
And let’s be honest, when am I ever wrong? The Big Red covers and loses by 10.

Mizzu @ Vandy +14 LOST
Yes, Mizzou is 4-0, but here are their margin of victories against FBS opponents: MTSU by four, Kansas State by three, Memphis by seven. And all of those were at home. Now you’re telling me the Tigers are going to go on the road and win by over two touchdowns against Vanderbilt? I just don’t see it happening. The Commodores +14 is the play.

LSU @ Ole Miss +2.5 WON
I think Lane Kiffin’s Rebels win this game outright. But I love them as the home underdog. LSU couldn’t stop Arkansas at home and Ole Miss is recovering from a winnable game they let pass them by in Tuscaloosa. Last time these teams played in Oxford the Lane train won by 14. This time it’s closer, Ole Miss by seven, which means you cover by nearly ten points if you take the Rebels as the home underdog.

S Carolina +12.5 @ Tenny LOST
I’ve stared at this line for over 24 hours now. I just don’t get it. Last year Tennessee gave up 63 points to Spencer Rattler’s Gamecocks and got blown out in Columbia, South Carolina. This year Spencer Rattler is back — he completed 16 straight passes against Mississippi State last week — and Tennessee hasn’t been that great on defense and you’re telling me the Vols are going to win by two touchdowns? I think Spencer Rattler is likely to pick apart this defense all over again. Remember South Carolina went down to Athens and dominated the Bulldogs in the first half and kept it close for the entire game. I get the revenge angle and the wild Neyland Stadium at night aspect of this game — which is why I think Tennessee finds a way to win — but I just don’t see needing to win by two touchdowns to cover. I’m on the Gamecocks with all these points. (By the way, this is one of these Vegas lines that is so terrifying I understand if you don’t bet it at all. I’d bet 90% of the bets here are going to be on South Carolina. Which means every site is going to need the Vols big. When that happens, Vegas doesn’t lose big very often. I’m just saying.)

N.D. @ Duke +5.5 LOST
The Fighting Irish just lost in the most heartbreaking fashion imaginable and now they have to go on the road for what should be, really, a raucous home crowd at Duke. The Blue Devils are hosting Gameday for football for the first time ever and I think they’ll be ripe to pull off yet another major home upset. Give me Duke plus the points and I think the Blue Devils win outright.

Bama @ Messy +15.5 LOST
If I believe that Alabama’s offense is not very good — and I do — and that Alabama will likely struggle on the road, which I do, why would I not leap on the chance to take the home Bulldogs plus over two touchdowns? I’m either going to look like a genius on this pick and it’s going to be a three-point game late in the fourth quarter or Alabama is going to win 42-3 and I’m going to look like a complete idiot. I don’t see any middle ground. Cowbells, clanga, let’s cover.
Travis WEEK #5: 6-9
SEASON: 36-34-1

Bears' Bets
Season 9-12
Best Bets 2-2

U.H +8.5/+9
Bear doesn't like Tech w/o Schough at QB LOSE
Indiana +14.5
Situation wager with MD having OSU next week and prior teams played LOSE
A&M -6
FYI: Game at Jerry World WIN
Nebraska TT Under 10.5
Nebraska will not get many possessions and they cannot get enuf points WIN
Best Bet Auburn TT Under 15.5 LOSE

Sidekick (Schwartz) Best Bet 2-2 for year:
UNDER 44.5 Utah @ Oregon ( am now seeing 43.5) WIN
BEAR WEEK#5: 2-3 lost best bet
SEASON: 11-15

Sidekick: 1-0
SEASON: 3-2

My Selections
WEEK#4: 8-2
SEASON: 33-19

WEEK #5

Tulane -21 1 Unit -120 LOSE
TCU -13 1 Unit -115 LOSE
Oregon State TT Over 23.5 1 Unit -125 LOSE (really out thought myself - why not just take Beavers?)
Florida +1 1 Unit -110 LOSE

Current Leans:

Oregon State TT Over 23.5
Texas Longhorns TT Over
LSU -2.5 but considering Ole Miss ML
ND -5.5
Florida but missed the + number
Barely saw a down of football except the 11:00 am games

WEEK #5: 0-4 (aligned with US Ryder Cup play in morning Foursomes)
SEASON: 33-23

( I did win a Clemson and Notre Dame wager to make my Saturday less sour but did not post and did not count in record)

I’d like to hear your thoughts here, I really don’t like Leary at all and I think uk gonna have a very tough time running on gators with those massive d-tackles they rotate 5 deep! Mertz is actually starting to grow on me, I def prefer him to Leary and I really like the gators rb’s.
Sorry I didn't have time to read any posts yesterday or I would have gotten back to you before the game.

We've talked about this before. I never look at stats till I figure out which team is the toughest team. Football is not like betting other sports. Urban Meyer's favorite statement is, "the toughest, hardest hitting team always wins." He's right. I bet Kentucky at home a lot because while they don't always have the best talent, they are always the toughest team. Mark Stoops is that kind of coach--a Youngstown guy--and he recruits that kind of player.

I look at who is the toughest first, best defense second, good running game third, playing at home fourth, and in this game it was Kentucky, Kentucky, Kentucky, Kentucky. And the great thing about Kentucky is that they will ALWAYS be undervalued. You always get extra value with that kind of team--Kentucky, K State, Oregon State, Utah, N Dame under Kelly, everyone knows who they are--because the public never takes toughness into account. And I mean NEVER.

I don't even look at stats or injuries till I decide who is the toughest team and who has the best D, then I use stats to see if there is some reason I should avoid the game. You can find brilliant analyses all over the internet using stats and trends, but stats and trends are never as relevant as who hits the hardest and who is the toughest. I'm not betting against the toughest team unless I'm just mistake about who the toughest team is

That's the same reason I liked N C State the other night. I decided not to bet them because the problem with some of these tough-guy teams is the coaches degenerate into having almost no offense. I finally passed on NC State because their offense is almost non-existent. How a guy like Armstrong can be unstoppable at Virginia then look like a linebacker playing QB is a mystery to me. I bet Iowa for years, but their offense gets a little worse every year until now they almost can't score at all. One scoop and score or kick return or any other big play against them and they are done for because they just can't score

You are right about the Florida D (and right about N C State too). They are tough in the swamp--I bet them against Tennessee--but they are just not tough enough to go into Kentucky and win.

It's a bitch to win money betting football, but at least I have a chance by trying to always have the toughest guys going for me

Sorry I didn't have time to read any posts yesterday or I would have gotten back to you before the game.

We've talked about this before. I never look at stats till I figure out which team is the toughest team. Football is not like betting other sports. Urban Meyer's favorite statement is, "the toughest, hardest hitting team always wins." He's right. I bet Kentucky at home a lot because while they don't always have the best talent, they are always the toughest team. Mark Stoops is that kind of coach--a Youngstown guy--and he recruits that kind of player.

I look at who is the toughest first, best defense second, good running game third, playing at home fourth, and in this game it was Kentucky, Kentucky, Kentucky, Kentucky. And the great thing about Kentucky is that they will ALWAYS be undervalued. You always get extra value with that kind of team--Kentucky, K State, Oregon State, Utah, N Dame under Kelly, everyone knows who they are--because the public never takes toughness into account. And I mean NEVER.

I don't even look at stats or injuries till I decide who is the toughest team and who has the best D, then I use stats to see if there is some reason I should avoid the game. You can find brilliant analyses all over the internet using stats and trends, but stats and trends are never as relevant as who hits the hardest and who is the toughest. I'm not betting against the toughest team unless I'm just mistake about who the toughest team is

That's the same reason I liked N C State the other night. I decided not to bet them because the problem with some of these tough-guy teams is the coaches degenerate into having almost no offense. I finally passed on NC State because their offense is almost non-existent. How a guy like Armstrong can be unstoppable at Virginia then look like a linebacker playing QB is a mystery to me. I bet Iowa for years, but their offense gets a little worse every year until now they almost can't score at all. One scoop and score or kick return or any other big play against them and they are done for because they just can't score

You are right about the Florida D (and right about N C State too). They are tough in the swamp--I bet them against Tennessee--but they are just not tough enough to go into Kentucky and win.

It's a bitch to win money betting football, but at least I have a chance by trying to always have the toughest guys going for me

Oh I’m with you, stats can only tell some the story and sometimes not any when we so early and some teams have played tough games some have played cup cake central. Good call, I was shocked uk was able to run like that on gators, I thought gators had a rotation of big strong d-tackles that would be tough for most teams to run between the tackles on. It was insane to me watching Davis bounce off them all like their arms were tapped to their sides!!! Luckily I didn’t do much with that game, ended up w gators in a beer money long shot parlay but that was all: I didn’t love the early games yesterday and actually had the discipline to let the day come to me and it paid off big! I caught a real break w Irish scoring a td and the 2 point!! Think it was bout time I deserved 1!! Not to mention Irish shoulda been up 24-0 at halftime anyways! I won’t apologize for that win, ever!! Lol.

I had that ville/ncst gm pretty well figured out that under being better than side. Ncst coaching is so bad, why they think running Armstrong up the middle 20x for 3 yards a carry is good offense is beyond me?!!? Lol.

Good call on uk, I’m not shocked they won but how they did it with 200 yards rushing in 1st 20 min def shocked me!

Oh I’m with you, stats can only tell some the story and sometimes not any when we so early and some teams have played tough games some have played cup cake central. Good call, I was shocked uk was able to run like that on gators, I thought gators had a rotation of big strong d-tackles that would be tough for most teams to run between the tackles on. It was insane to me watching Davis bounce off them all like their arms were tapped to their sides!!! Luckily I didn’t do much with that game, ended up w gators in a beer money long shot parlay but that was all: I didn’t love the early games yesterday and actually had the discipline to let the day come to me and it paid off big! I caught a real break w Irish scoring a td and the 2 point!! Think it was bout time I deserved 1!! Not to mention Irish shoulda been up 24-0 at halftime anyways! I won’t apologize for that win, ever!! Lol.

I had that ville/ncst gm pretty well figured out that under being better than side. Ncst coaching is so bad, why they think running Armstrong up the middle 20x for 3 yards a carry is good offense is beyond me?!!? Lol.

Good call on uk, I’m not shocked they won but how they did it with 200 yards rushing in 1st 20 min def shocked me!
I have a feeling Kentucky may have been surprised as well. Looked to me like maybe Florida came in flat

I'm with you on the N C State offense. I just don't see the logic that Iowa and NC State seem to have adopted. Reminds me of the days when Buddy Ryan was in the NFL. He was a great DC, probably the best in football, but when he became a head coach he thought the purpose of the offense was just to give his defense tackling practice

Bet Texas -4 as soon as the line opened. Just a surface evaluation, but I don't see any area where Oklahoma has an advantage except for the fact they are confident they can always beat Texas based on the Stoops years

Added Week Five scores. Dropped Phil Steele picks. I haven't found them the last two weeks, so maybe Bones or someone else can find them

Best week of the year for Cowherd, good weeks for SVP and Adam Kramer

Stanford Steve—(3-4) 12-9) Three Year Record (103-79)
Duke +5x Lose
LSU -2x Lose
Kansas +16 Lose
Kentucky -1 Win
Oregon State -3x Win
Baylor +11x Win
E Carolina Lose

The Bear—(1-4) 9-16) Three Year Record (98-89)

U.H +8.5 Lose
Indiana +14.5 Lose
A&M -6 Win
Nebraska TT Under 10.5 Lose
Auburn TT Under 15.5 Lose Best Bet

Scott Van Pelt—(5-3) (24-21) Three Year Record (164-125)

NC St +3x Win
So Alabama +2x Lose
Auburn +14 Win
Vandy +13x Lose
Ole Miss +2x Win
Duke +5x Lose
Va Tech +2x Win
Arizona +18x Win

Other Pickers:
Adam Kramer—(6-3) (25-19) (75-52)

Oregon State -3x Win
Texas Tech -8x Win
Auburn +14 Win
N Dame/Duke 0 5x Win
Ole Miss +2x Win
S Alabama +3 Lose
Cal -12x Lose
N C State +3x Win
Iowa -12x Lose

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five—(4-1) (7-11-2) Three Year Record (94-100)

Jacksonville -3 30-23 Win
Buffalo -3 31-27 Win
Tennessee +2x 27-23 Win
Minnesota -4 26-17 Win
New England +6x 23-27 Lose

My Picks— (3-0) (11-6) Teasers (4-5) Three Year Record (150-97)

BYU -1 Win
Oregon State -3 Win
Kentucky -1 Win
Teaser, BYU/Oregon State W, Teaser, Kentucky/Syracuse L

Joe Fortenbaugh— (1-0) (6-8) Two Year Record (45-41)
USC/Colorado o 73

Back