ESPN Handicapper scores, Week 4

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Stanford Steve—(3-1) (9-5) Three Year Record (103-79)
Texas A&M -8x Win
Bama -6x Win
Notre Dame +3Tie
Notre Dame/Ohio St u 55x Win
UCLA +6 Lose
(Never did get his pick on Army/Syracuse. If anyone knows his pick I’ll include it)

The Bear—(2-4) (8-12) Three Year Record (98-89)

A&M -7.5 Win
Miss State +6.5 Lose
FIU +10.5 Lose
San Jose State +4.5 Lose
Ball State +6.5 Lose
Tulsa +4 Win

Scott Van Pelt—(4-4) (19-18) Three Year Record (164-125)

Clemson +2 Lose
Cincinnati +14x win
Army +13x Tie
Oregon -21 Win
West Virginia +6 Win
Michigan St +7x Lose
Wash St +3 Win
Appalachian St +3 Tie
Miss St +6 Lose
Pittsburgh +7 Lose

Other Pickers:
Adam Kramer—(4-5) (19-16) (75-52)

Bama -7 Win
Texas A&M -7x Win
MTSU -3x Lose
Pitt +7x Lose
TCU/SMU o 64 Lose
SJ State +4x Lose
Troy -3x Lose
Kansas -8x Win
Marshall -5 Win

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five—(3-1) (3-10-2) Three Year Record (94-100)

LAC +1x 27-24 Win
NO +1 24-23 Tie
Wash +6x 24-27 Lose
NE -2x 21-17 Win
LAR +3 30-27 Tie

Phil Steele—(3-2) 9-7) 2020-21 Total (80-89)

My Picks— (2-2) (8-6) Teasers (3-4) Three Year Record (150-97)

N Dame +3x x4 Win
N Dame +3 x2 Tie
49ers first quarter -3x Lose
BYU +9x Lose
Kansas St -4x Win
Teasers N Dame +9x/Bama -1 W, Oregon -14/LSU -11x L

ESPN D-League Pickers:
Joe Fortenbaugh— (2-0) (5-8) Two Year Record (45-41)

Oregon -21 Win
N Dame +3x Win
Clemson/FSU o 55 Tie

Last edited:
I know fsu is probably the square side and they were the 1st game I wrote down, not always a great sign! Lol. I just can’t help but think it the Noles time and this is the game they have to have to solidify that. I just don’t see the path for clemson outside a monster Shipley game and noles playing very poorly. I’m not saying this cause the duke loss, cause the lsu win, or anything else that may have altered perception this season.

It really just this simple for me. Qb, wr, offensive scheme/play caller imo are all incredibly lopsided advantages for the Noles!! I don’t care bout last week BC game any more than I do the way Clemson got worked against duke (lot of self inflicted wounds by both teams in those games), on top of that fsu looked uninspired, allegedly had the flu all over, and probably started thinking bout clemson when they went up 31-10, I suspect they also were very vanilla in that game as I’m sure Norvell been holding things back he didn’t want clemson to see on film. Guess I’m going down w the Noles ship here cause I’m convinced they are coming to claim their spot back on top the acc (it’s about time!!! Crazy how far this program fell!). Honestly I think Miami will prove to be noles biggest challenge.

I’ve leaned Irish all week but closer I’ve got to making plays I’ve had a tough time pulling the trigger. Prob just cause going against Day’s squad with anyone other than Michigan before the playoffs hasn’t been a good idea. I do love Hartman tho, he has made everything about ND better! Not to mention 50ish starts under his belt that assured me the moment won’t be to big for him, no clue if that be the case for McCord in his 4th start and 1st vs a team who a real threat!! I have been wondering if maybe it might just be better to play Estime ov 73.5 rush yards? No matter how much I love Hartman they have to have success on the ground to limit osu possessions. I think this gonna be a really good game, I’m confident in that, I feel like if it gonna be a good game Estime is gonna approach 100 on the ground!

I know fsu is probably the square side and they were the 1st game I wrote down, not always a great sign! Lol. I just can’t help but think it the Noles time and this is the game they have to have to solidify that. I just don’t see the path for clemson outside a monster Shipley game and noles playing very poorly. I’m not saying this cause the duke loss, cause the lsu win, or anything else that may have altered perception this season.

It really just this simple for me. Qb, wr, offensive scheme/play caller imo are all incredibly lopsided advantages for the Noles!! I don’t care bout last week BC game any more than I do the way Clemson got worked against duke (lot of self inflicted wounds by both teams in those games), on top of that fsu looked uninspired, allegedly had the flu all over, and probably started thinking bout clemson when they went up 31-10, I suspect they also were very vanilla in that game as I’m sure Norvell been holding things back he didn’t want clemson to see on film. Guess I’m going down w the Noles ship here cause I’m convinced they are coming to claim their spot back on top the acc (it’s about time!!! Crazy how far this program fell!). Honestly I think Miami will prove to be noles biggest challenge.
My first thought was Clemson because I keep thinking they are the Clemson powerhouse of the last decade or so, but I just looked at my notes on this game last year. I laid the 4 points with Clemson and made it a max bet. One of several games last year when I made the wrong call, but still won because of pure luck. Clemson jumped out to a big lead but once FSU started rolling Clemson couldn't stop them and couldn't move against the FSU D.

I keep thinking Clemson is the old Clemson, but they don't look the same on offense or defense. I've come around to the same conclusion as you--this is either FSU or pass.

Behind schedule this week. Apologies.

This show is insufferable.

Bear Season: 6-8 ; Best Bets:1-2
Sidekick best bet: 1-2 season

Bear likes 1 favorite and 5 dogs:
A&M -7.5 WIN "A&M has better roster...can run the ball" and A&M has better defense than California.
Messy +6.5 LOSE Bear likes the situation for Messy. Also So Carolina "did nothing in 2H vs Georgia and did nothing vs UNC." He likes Will Rogers. No Juice Wells got SC
FIU +10.5 LOSE Bear likes FIU QB. Thinks time to adjust power rating for FIU. He speaks highly of their season. Liberty has benefited from opponent's turnovers
San Jose State +4.5 LOSE The power of each team's prior opponents skews definitively to Spartans. Spartans do not turn ball over. He likes SJState QB, Cordiero
Ball State +6.5 LOSE He likes the situation and timing for this game. "Sandwich game" for GaSouthern.
Tulsa +4 WIN NIU "might have worst offense in the country." Tulsa is dropping down in class for this game.

Best Bet: Longhorn team total OVER 33.5. WIN Bears 2dary not that good. Ewers and receivers can hurt Baylor

Sidekick best bet: Wazzu +3 WIN

Last edited:
WEEK #3: 6-4
SEASON: 23-19

Rutgers +24 @ Michigan PUSH
There’s a nasty rumor out there that I don’t like Greg Schiano. This is simply not true. Every week I put on my Rutgers sweatshirt and ensure I don’t miss New Jersey’s finest school’s games. That’s how I know that Rutgers is 3-0 and poised to travel to Ann Arbor and pull off a massive upset to seize early control of the Big Ten East and cement Rutgers as a bona fide playoff … okay, that’s not ever happening. But Rutgers and my guy Schiano are going to cover the big number here because, honestly, Michigan has been fairly pedestrian in its first four games. That continues with Michigan winning 31-10 on Saturday. Boom, you get a nice cover.

FSU -2.5 @ Clemson WIN
The Seminoles were sloppy down the stretch at Boston College and actually were somewhat lucky to hang on in Chestnut Hill. But I think that’s because they were already looking ahead to Clemson. I picked the Seminoles to win the ACC before the season and nothing has changed that expectation. Put simply, Florida State is the better team and should win by a touchdown or more at Clemson. Get a win and cover in the first of the top 25 matchups.

Auburn @ A&M OVER 52.5 LOSE
Part of gambling, especially in college football, is knowing the coaches involved. Hugh Freeze and Bobby Petrino are both offensive guys and ultimately their play-calling pace will dictate the tempo here, which I expect to be fast with a bunch of possessions. If I’m right, and when am I ever wrong?, then you won’t need to worry about who wins because the points will be raining down in College Station. The over’s the play.

KY @ Vandy OVER 49.5 WIN
This Kentucky offense is starting to round into shape and Vanderbilt’s defense can’t stop anyone. What’s that mean? Tap the veins boys and girls, a blood bank guarantee on the over this weekend in Nashville.

Colorado @ Oregon OVER 70 LOSE
I think Oregon is going to absolutely obliterate Colorado. I really do
. The Buffaloes have been a fun story so far, but they haven’t stepped up this high in class yet. Colorado’s defense was exposed by Colorado State after the Travis Hunter injury — I think they are still running wide open on crossing routes — and the Oregon environment for Dan Lanning’s team should be electric. But I think Oregon gets up so much that late touchdowns might put the cover in jeopardy. So I’m just going to take the over instead and cash this winning ticket.

UCLA @ Utah UNDER 52.5 WIN
Utah can drag anyone into the mud with them, including UCLA. I know Chip Kelly’s team has been under the radar so far, but I think they’re running into a defensive buzzsaw against Kyle Whittingham’s crew. The Utes keep it low scoring and ugly, but that’s beautiful if you have the under.

Ole Miss +7 @ Bama LOSE
Sooner or later Lane Kiffin is going to beat Nick Saban. And I think it may well be Joey Freshwater’s year. We’ve already seen former Saban offensive coordinator’s Jimbo Fisher and Steve Sarkisian beat Saban, now Lane makes it a trio. The Tide offensive line can’t block against anyone so the quarterback matters less than in years past. Meanwhile Ole Miss is a quiet, and confident, 3-0. Hotty Toddy, the Rebels cover, and just may win outright in Tuscaloosa.

MD -6.5 @ Sparty WIN
The Spartans have destroyed their football program by forcing out Mel Tucker. You saw last week that the team basically didn’t show up against Washington. Sadly, there’s more of the same coming this week. The Terps move to 4-0 with a double digit win.

UTSA +20 @ Tenny LOSE
Something’s rotten in Knoxville. I don’t know what it is, but that performance against Florida wasn’t just bad, it was putrid, the stench hasn’t lifted. And it started the week before against Austin Peay when the Vols couldn’t put away a mediocre FCS team. This Vol team just isn’t playing well right now and UTSA is a sneaky good non-power five team. Until the Vols prove their offense can blow out someone decent — Virginia doesn’t count — I’m not taking them with a big number. UTSA’s the play.

GaTech @ Wake -3.5 LOSE
Wake stormed back from a huge deficit at Old Dominion. Now they get Georgia Tech in Winston-Salem and the Demon Deacons start fast and put the Yellow Jackets away early. Give me Dave Clawson’s team to stay undefeated.

Ark +17.5 @ LSU OVER 55.5 WIN & WIN
The Razorbacks dropped a stunner at home last week to BYU and now they travel to Death Valley, where LSU is ready to prove its early season loss to FSU was an aberration by opening up the SEC season 2-0. The line is over 17, but the last three games in this series have been decided by three or less and four of the last five have been decided by a touchdown or less. This feels like a huge number, especially when Arkansas has a proven quarterback and is likely to score 20 or more themselves. Give me the Hogs and the over for a double-win on a Louisiana Saturday night.

Ohio State @ Notre Dame +3.5 WIN
I know, I know, Notre Dame always loses the big game. But Marcus Freeman’s team is under the radar so far this year and the Buckeyes, as they’ve worked to find a quarterback, haven’t played that consistently well so far. That inconsistency shows up in South Bend as, wake up the echoes, Notre Dame wins outright behind Sam Hartman’s leadership. But take the Irish +3.5 to have a little buffer here too.

Iowa +14.5 @ PennState LOSE
You know what Iowa’s going to do in this game — take away all the fun. Penn State has scored 30 or more points in 10-straight games, but that trend ends here. The game’s going to be nasty and brutish and it feels like it ends Penn State 27 Iowa 17.

Last edited:
Bet the Board pocast. 3-0 on the year and most of the ananlysis has been spot on.

I won't get to it until tomorrow.

Added first quarter bet on 49ers. They remind me of Bama a few years back when we all cleaned up on Bama first quarter
49ers first quarter -3x

Added Matt Millen and Daylan Cuff picks on Oregon/Colorado
Matt Millen--(0-2) (2-3)
Colorado +21
Colorado/Oregon o

Dalen Cuff--(2-0) (3-2)
Oregon first half -11x

My selections: (Looks like I inadvertently took too many favorites...geez)

Season 25-17

Air Force - 3.5 2 Units WIN (1 unit @+100 & 1 unit @ -110)
FSU -1 2 Units WIN @-120
Rutgers +25 WIN 1 Unit -110
MD -7.5 1 Unit -110 WIN
BAMA -6.5 2 Units -110 WIN
Oregon State -3 1 Unit -110 LOSE
Jacksonville State -6.5 1 Unit -110 WIN
Penn State team total OVER 26.5 1 Unit -120 WIN
LSU -10.5 1 Unit -127 LOSE
Texas/Baylor UNDER 50.5 1 Unit -122 WIN (very lucky)

(I had some other unposted plays including Messy TT over 2H and OVER in LSU game and a loss on Utah 2H and loss in USC game - did not get posted and will not count in record)

Last edited:
My selections:

Season 25-17

Air Force - 3.5 2 Units (1 unit @+100 & 1 unit @ -110)
FSU -1 2 Units @-120
Rutgers +25 1 Unit -110
MD -7.5 1 Unit -110
I'm tempted by that Maryland bet too. I really liked the way Maryland looked and played against Virginia

Started out liking Clemson out of habit, but they don't have the studs they had at their peak. I'd take FSU if I had to take a side, but right now I like the over in that one depending on weather

Some important injuries could affect some of the games that interest me most

UCF—QB Plumlee out, but Kansas State QB Howard is also injured and may not play

Iowa—Both first AND second string RBs out.

W Virginia—QB out

I'm tempted by that Maryland bet too. I really liked the way Maryland looked and played against Virginia

Started out liking Clemson out of habit, but they don't have the studs they had at their peak. I'd take FSU if I had to take a side, but right now I like the over in that one depending on weather
Weather will not affect any games in SC on Saturday afternoon.

Some important injuries could affect some of the games that interest me most

UCF—QB Plumlee out, but Kansas State QB Howard is also injured and may not play

Iowa—Both first AND second string RBs out.

W Virginia—QB out
Thanks for the updates……

Will leave this game out……

SVP Winners

Clemson +2
Cincinnati +14x
Army +13x
Oregon -21
West Virginia +6
Michigan St +7x
Wash St +3
Appalachian St +3
Miss St +6
Pittsburgh +7

Stanford Steve best bet is Texas A&M -8x

My first thought was Clemson because I keep thinking they are the Clemson powerhouse of the last decade or so, but I just looked at my notes on this game last year. I laid the 4 points with Clemson and made it a max bet. One of several games last year when I made the wrong call, but still won because of pure luck. Clemson jumped out to a big lead but once FSU started rolling Clemson couldn't stop them and couldn't move against the FSU D.

I keep thinking Clemson is the old Clemson, but they don't look the same on offense or defense. I've come around to the same conclusion as you--this is either FSU or pass.

I played fsu last year too, lol, I didn’t grade it as a great play that I got hosed but I def came away thinking fsu could have won. That was the end of a brutal 3 game stretch where they kept shooting them selves in the foot. I suppose that could be their MO but this team has so many starts, so much experience, the way they took lsu apart after halftime kinda tells me they different this year. I really think they easily a td better, at Clemson and years of tigers dominance held this line back. I know some fsu fans scared of this game/stadium but I just don’t think they ready to realize noles are just better than clemson. I dunno bout you but I’m not sold on Klubnick at all, not saying he horrible but he ain’t Lawrence or watson! The last kid who got run off seems to be doing ok at Oregon st this year! It could be clemson doesn’t have dick for wr weapons to help a qb., or far as I can tell a great play caller/designer either. Clemson d will have to dominate and that really the only place I stilll respect them, the front 7 is strong, no venables tho!! I just trust all the experience on fsu and Norvell as a play caller is very good imo;., I don’t think tigers can win this game with defense and Shipley, I think noles offense is too good for that.

dammit, Travis had to be on noles and Irish? I guess the good news is I disagree with a bunch of his others. No clue why the hell he would lay points with wake? Gtech way more battle tested and I think the better team, my only real concern there is tech d has been killed in 2nd halves: I got news for him tho, Gtech will score 30+ easy on wake so if you really like wake just play the over. Personally I think Gtech wins outright.

That aub/am total he betting over would look great unless you have actually watched freeze auburn offense thus far. It’s the most discombobulated, no plan having, just try bunch of different shit garbage I ever seen,, I’ve lost a prop or total on aub almost every week thinking I knew what that offense should be!!!! He right there should be a bunch of plays and offense, problem is I think both defenses are probably better than the offenses: it’s a shame too, thorne should smash his pass yards over prop but you can’t trust wtf they will do!! He only threw it 14x vs cal!! They might let ashford run on 1sy and 2nd down and only put thorne in on 3rd!!! The only good thing I can say is AM can’t know what to prepare for, cause freeze doesn’t even know wtf they gonna run!!

Bet the Board. 3-0 on the year on their weekly selection. More importantly, I have found their breakdowns very useful thus far this season.

I found this week's pod very informative. It was long, 2 hours. I am making some plays based on what they had to say since it was confirmation bias to my prior leans.

FSU vs Clemson: FSU looking for first win since 2014 agst Clemson. Payne thought FSU had a vanilla game plan last week intentionally due to expected weather. He does think they need to improve. He also said most of the players had the flu last week, which went unmentioned. FSU has had trouble running the ball and it will not get better vs Clemson's front and thinks Jordan Travis will need to run the ball - FSU has bye week next week and thinks Travis will run. He also says Travis needs to "quit trying to win the damn Heisman on every throw" and trying to make every hard completion on every pssing play, instead hit his receicers on shorter routes over the middle. He also concentrates on need for O line to show out like they did agst LSU. Payne thinks last week, and ever since LSU, Seminoles have been thinking about this game. Payne thinks Clemson's defense really has not faced a "real offense" outside of Duke and he thinks FSU will show up this game. Most important thing Payne said was "I initially came into this game thinking I'd be all over Clemson, my mind has changed a little bit the last 36 hours." Powers believes Klubnick is mediocre at QB and does not have a lot of weapons either. No elite wide receivers for Clemson. Bright spots are Shipley and Mafah (RBs) and has questions about ability of their O line to blow people off the ball, ranked #68 by PFF, and he focuses on weakness of Clemson's kicker, Gunn, missed 3 fgs and missed an extra point last weakness. Powers is not a fan of FSU defensive coordinator and thinks their back end breaks down and opponents allow over 7 yds passing - Verse is good but has not played like an All American this season. The 2 teams' strengths go agst each other,FSU offense vs Clemson defense, and the weaknesses agst each other Clemson offense vs FSU defense. Seems like he thinks key may be Klubnick's play. Maybe Clemson has a new kicker this week per Furhman. Brad has upped FSU 2.5 points and Clemson down same amount and preseason he had Clemson a field goal favorite and now he has game about even. FSU almost loosing last week has had line effect. Sounds like overall both Payne and Powers have a very very slight lean to FSU under -3 and at -3 they'd take Clemson.

UCLA vs Utah: UCLA is 1-7 away vs ranked teams in last 8 years. Utah has injury concerns re starting QB, Rising. UCLA QB, Dante Moore may have trouble agst Utah defense? Powers thinks Moore is good but this game may be different for the freshman. Powers likes Chip Kelly despite what others say. He likes UCLA running backs, but had a weak schedule thus far. He also likes the #1 receiver. Pass blocking is not great for O line and they will be tested this week vs one of the best defenses in country who dominates on the D line push but UCLA has explosive potential which we may see? Payne says w/o Rising and TE Kuithe "Utah's offense has not looked good." Are they playing this week? He thinks O line has not been exceptional and no running game explosive plays and with back up QBs they have 29% 3rd down efficiency. Payne sees no weapons w/o Rising and Kuithe. Payne think UCLA's defense is questionable and has not been tested yet this season. Payne "there is a lot of variance in this game...it all comes down to injury report." Powers belives line goes to -6 or even -7 with Rising and Kuithe. (My guy does not have a line available right now)

Colorado vs Oregon: Fuhrman thinks game is "all about the market." Colorado has a 31 straight losses to top 15 teams and 2-30 away agst top 15 teams this century. Travis Hunter's absence is a "cluster injury" all himself and Powers thinks power rating for team is worth 1 point or even more. Powers says the starting 22 is good but no depth and he downgraded Buffs significantly since last week. Payne says "we all understand Buffs record is better than expectation and they have had a lot of variance (basically says they have been lucky)." Colorado's upgrade "makes us uncomfortable." Payne thinks "Hunter's value is at least 2 points" and "Colorado is surviving b/c they have an NFL quarterback and....Travis Hunter is a shut down corner." Payne noted that Deion has been quiet this week and thinks that's important (makes sense to me). They did not say so, but they're not betting the Buffs.

Oregon State vs Wazzu: These 2 have never faced each other in 108 meetings where both were ranked. Payne sounds complimentary re DJU but "he's not perfect." This is his frist true test. Wazzu has been good agst the rush but it is Beavers strength. "Oregon State will try and blame bully ball...and Wazzu has not faced an O line like this." Wazzu has also given up some explosive passes. Payne thinks Beavers have to try to pass more and the O line pass blocking been weak. Payne does not think Wazzu can stop the Beavers' run game and "Wazzu ends have not gotten to the qb at rate we expected....The price here is wild to me. Right now we'd have Oregon State a 4.5 - 5 pt favorite on a neutral agst Wisconsin and they are laying 2.5 in this spot where Wisky was laying 4.5 a handful of days ago. Price is interesting here." Wazzu has had a harder schedule. Powers had Beavers win total preseason over. He has upgraded Beavers a little bit but Wazzu up more at +4.5 points. Powers thought opening line of Oregon being 2.5 favorites was light, he think it should be 3 or closer to 4 range. (-3 now for me). Problem for Wazzu been running the ball. No prior opponents could test Beavers secondary Can Beavers pressure Cam Ward by minimizing his time in pocket? Powers thinks Beavers have advantage up front and Wazzu will be passing and very limited in run game. Beavers corners were weak last week and San Diego State had some explosives agst them. Powers is impressed with Wazzu "but Ward looked not good last week." He does think the O for Wazzu is good and likes their 27 year old O coordinator and they can expose the corners but likes Beavers' safeties. He questions whether Cam Ward will have time since he thinks they will be one dimensional in their offense. Powers wanted to bet Over 54 but it is long gone. "Generally speaking I still like the Over" but does not sound as if he will bet it (my line is 58.5 now).

Ole Miss @ Bama: 107th consecutive home game where Bama will open and close a favorite - won 99 of those games. Bama's former D coordinator, Golding, is now Ole Miss D coordinator. Ole Miss has 52 point avg and ran the ball for 299 last game. Dart, QB, tied for FBS lead at 12.5 yds per pass. Dart leads team in rushing too at 6.7 yd per carry (I think this is not good - but what do I know?). Ole Miss rb, Jutkins, is he fully healthy? They think so - he's been less than 100%. Powers "I am not a big Dart fan" but he does say that Dart has produced. Powers does not like Ole Miss O line run blocking. He focuses on Texas' success via explosive pass game and thinks Dart can do likewise and also believes that Dart will have explosive runs...cites South Florida's QB with no pass game but still got loose for explosive runs. Powers says "Kool-Aid" at corner is a disappointment and relying on true freshman, Downs, at safety creates problems for Bama. Texas took advantage and he thinks Kiffin will do so too. "I think Ole Miss offense has the advantage in this match-up [Ole Miss O vs Bama D]." Payne starts with statement "Best thing that could have happened to Bama was watching Buckner and Simpson struggle agst USF defense...thankfully Milroe is back in the saddle, Milroe has highest floor and ceiling for Bama this season." Bama has O line struggles - known - and he thinks that Bama o line needs to be challenged (by the coaches and team members). They are bad on pass protection and getting run stuffed. They were disgruntled when Milroe was benched and had a "players only" meeting this week. Second thing, Bama needs to let Milroe run - on designed run plays he avgs 9.2 yds per run and they need to do this much more. Bama needs quick and easy target pass plays, not complicated decision making. "Can't ask him to do the difficult things." He has "30% turnover worthy throws" if you require him to read the defense and make adjustments. Golding for Ole Miss was D coordinator at Bama for 5 years and has the advantage on defensive game plan vs Bama O game plan. Powers says "Ole Miss at 3-0 averaging 14 pts victory per game I have barely an upgrade, 1/2 point, on their power ranking...Ole Miss was outplayed by Tulane (I agree) and last week's score is very misleading, it was 27-17 middle of 4th quarter in a 48-23 final vs Ga Tech." Powers has downgraded Bama 4.5 power rating. But, Powers bet Bama this week despite all of the above seemingly negative comments. Payne chimes in and says "this could be the floor on Bama pricing and it would be tough not to lay 6.5 if it got there." (it has at my place).

EMU vs Jackonsville State: Brad says "lay the 6.5 with Jacksonville." He says EMU is worse than people think and gave examples from the season and its a play against EMU. He says what I have seen this year is "3 phony final scores." He goes over the Box Scores with prior opponents Howard, Minnesota and U Mass. Howard outgained EMU, Minn outgained EMU by over 250 yards and at home vs U Mass EMU was +3 in turnovers and only beat Mass by 2. Then Brad goes over the new FBS team's games and they are coming off a bye.....Powers is confident and this "may be a blow out win."

Ohio State vs Notre Dame: ND is 0-5 agst OSU since 1936. Last week qb, McCord, for OSU looked better - gave stats. Payne "Offensively for OSU there is a lot of projection/opinion and neither they or ND defense line has really been tested." OSU was projected to struggle due to losses from last year. This year "40% of drives were 3 and out agst the Hoosiers...did not get O line push agst Yougstown until garbage time....Just once in 3 games - WKy - did OSU O exceed expectation" and WKy D had replaced 8 starters and is outside the top 100 in defensive efficiency. ND defense has really not been tested either. Last year's game plan on D for ND was good, but this year they need to get more aggresive and roll the dice with aggressive defense - man to man coverage and load the box. McCord is 11 for 29 on downfield throws of 10+ yards with one of the best wide receiver groups in the country...over 10% of those throws were turnover worthy. "Force McCord to beat you" Payne says. Powers thinks OSU D linebackers probably have the advantage in the game vs ND. He thinks Hartmann is really good but quality of competition has not been there...he saw Hartmann miss a few throws last week vs CMU after he took a couple of hits and thinks OSU will of course be better than CMU. Estime at RB for ND been great and PFF has him at #1 in country after last week's game. Concerns for ND offense is interior of O line, guard-center-guard - he saw it vs NCST. Powers sounds worried - he's a ND fan. He does like wide receivers and tight end. He has positive things to say about ND coaching BUT he likes what he is seeing from OSU defense this year. "The edge rushers are coming into their own." He really like the Buckeye's linebackers and he thinks OSU D has the edge. Powers bet OSU in the summer when OSU was a bigger favorite and has downgraded them a couple of points this season bc of their offense; yet he still has OSU -4 based on his ratings. He says you will see a large OSU fan base in South Bend and historically that has not been good for Irish.

Iowa vs PennState: PSU is 9-0-1 ATS last 10 games. Iowa lost their top tight end with broken leg and Powers had very negative comments re Cade McNamara and his 'health and throws' and gives the stats to support it. He was very negative "nothing to really like about Iowa passing attack....routes are terrible...no receiver would scare me if I was PennState." PSU D coordinator, Manny Diaz, is doing great job. Really nothing positive to say about Iowa O vs PSU D "I don't see a pathway to success for Iowa's offense." PSU has scored 30 points or more in 10 straight games - nation's longest streak. No turnovers for PSU this season. Payne agrees with Brad Powers re McNamara ("It's scary") and agrees with Furhman that Iowa D will be the toughest test for PSU offense this year. But, Payne does not think PSU offense will have to do much this game. Payne says although some say Iowa has #1 defense "I'm not one of them...Iowa has not played a soul on offense" this year. He also gives stats to support his view that Iowa D is suceptible to big plays. "It would not shock me at all if PSU finds some level of success that has not been completely shown yet...I definitely think PSU will have some short fields created by its defense." Bottom line as I heard it - PSU wins and it could be by a large margin, but they did not make the selection.

Best Bet:
Oregon -11 first half
. Colorado O line problems with getting Sanders time to throw and D line problems. Lanning can prepare for a 1 dimensional offense. Bo Nix will find success thru the air. Thinks Ducks will score easily and early. If you listen you'd think they like them in the game too, but not official.

Besides the best bet, Powers clearly took Jacksonville State -6.5

Last edited:
@bones Man the BTB ncaa pod has gotten long!! Im All for it, I love listening to those guys but I had to rewind like 30x cause I kept falling asleep at one point or another!! Lol. I try to go to bed a little early that night and that the 1st pod I turn on but hour and 45 min is tough laying in the dark!! I hardly ever hear their play of the week, lol. I did put back on and fast forward to the end to hear it this week. Ducks 1st half -11 right?? That makes a ton of sense to me. There no way I’d lay -21 for the game. The last couple weeks they were def out played in 1st half vs way worse teams than ducks. My issue with fading buffs is I don’t think ducks or usc are a bad matchup for them., I’d be much happier if they were playing Utah, Oregon st, ucla, physical running teams who gonna pound on them and keep the ball out of sanders hands!! I don’t like the idea of laying a ton of points when he facing up tempo teams that gonna give him a ton of possessions. I think ducks could roll them but I think the path to that is getting their stable of running backs a bunch of carry’s., I’m just not sure ducks will play that way?? I have no doubt Nix can score plenty thru the air, That not really the point, the idea is not getting into a shootout with a team who has a great qb, plenty of weapons, and a creative fast paced offensive attack, that just not smart!!

Cowherd sounding pretty confident for a guy who can’t pick his nose so far!! I’ll let someone who hasn’t already forgot half his card to post it, I thought it was at least better than that crap he played last week, that card screamed 1-4 soon as I saw it. This one looked more like a coin flip will decide if he goes 3-2 or 2-3,, Anyways im sure you fine trackers recall what he went last year don’t you? Pretty sure he just claimed to be 55-56% last year or some garbage calling himself a 55-56% guy!! I remember thinking I know he wasn’t that last year.

I played fsu last year too, lol, I didn’t grade it as a great play that I got hosed but I def came away thinking fsu could have won. That was the end of a brutal 3 game stretch where they kept shooting them selves in the foot. I suppose that could be their MO but this team has so many starts, so much experience, the way they took lsu apart after halftime kinda tells me they different this year. I really think they easily a td better, at Clemson and years of tigers dominance held this line back. I know some fsu fans scared of this game/stadium but I just don’t think they ready to realize noles are just better than clemson. I dunno bout you but I’m not sold on Klubnick at all, not saying he horrible but he ain’t Lawrence or watson! The last kid who got run off seems to be doing ok at Oregon st this year! It could be clemson doesn’t have dick for wr weapons to help a qb., or far as I can tell a great play caller/designer either. Clemson d will have to dominate and that really the only place I stilll respect them, the front 7 is strong, no venables tho!! I just trust all the experience on fsu and Norvell as a play caller is very good imo;., I don’t think tigers can win this game with defense and Shipley, I think noles offense is too good for that.
FSU definitely better than last year. Just that one big WR transfer--from Michigan St I think--makes them better. I don't know how Clemson stops him or even slows him down. Even Duke had more spreed than Clemson

Adding selections - all three of these are based on Bet the Board.

They were not overly enthusiastic on either Bama or Oregon State and did not make them a selection and also gave reasons for Ole Miss and Wazzu, but what they did say confirmed my bias. Jacksonville State a total tail.

I have one more play I think I want to make and may make others as game time arrives.

BAMA - 6.5 -110 2 Units. I watched most all of Tulane game and a lot of GaTech. Bet on them vs Tulane. I really thought Tulane beat them up. I'll let Ole Miss try and prove me wrong agst the home record of Bama in the last 100.

Oregon State -3 -110 1 Unit.
Bet the Board pod. I leaned Beavers and going with it.

Jacksonville State - 6.5. -110 1 Unit. I know nothing about it except Rich Rod is coach and what Powers said on the cast. Its unusual for them to do this and am riding with the wager bc they made the exception for Powers to do so here.

Texas vs Baylor goes back over 100 years. This game ends the yearly meetings. Austin to Waco is only 110 miles or so. I was at UT from 76-80 during the Southwest Conference good ole days. Baylor beat us in Waco both in 76 (Royal) and 78 (Fred Akers). The record is 5-5 last 10 years? They always play us tough. I would never lay this many points (-17) with Texas agst the Bears. Was invited to attend and sit in a sky box by a Baylor friend - maybe should have gone...too damn lazy to take up my entire day driving 7 hour round trip.

Texas vs Baylor goes back over 100 years. This game ends the yearly meetings. Austin to Waco is only 110 miles or so. I was at UT from 76-80 during the Southwest Conference good ole days. Baylor beat us in Waco both in 76 (Royal) and 78 (Fred Akers). The record is 5-5 last 10 years? They always play us tough. I would never lay this many points (-17) with Texas agst the Bears. Was invited to attend and sit in a sky box by a Baylor friend - maybe should have gone...too damn lazy to take up my entire day driving 7 hour round trip.

Bear had UT over TT as his best bet. What are your thoughts on it?

Bear had UT over TT as his best bet. What are your thoughts on it?
I actually like it, and thought about betting it. But, for nostalgia/superstition just going to stay away

Not that it necessarily matters, but it shud be HOT tomorrow at game time

I actually like it, and thought about betting it. But, for nostalgia/superstition just going to stay away

Not that it necessarily matters, but it shud be HOT tomorrow at game time

Won't be too bad w/ a 6:40ish kick.

FWIW, I could see short fields for the Horns tomorrow as Robertson is atrocious - due for 2 picks, maybe more. Special teams have been very good over the last couple years blocking punts (Keilan Robertson especially) and could see that again tomorrow.

I anticipate a very focused and very good effort tomorrow.

Won't be too bad w/ a 6:40ish kick.

FWIW, I could see short fields for the Horns tomorrow as Robertson is atrocious - due for 2 picks, maybe more. Special teams have been very good over the last couple years blocking punts (Keilan Robertson especially) and could see that again tomorrow.

I anticipate a very focused and very good effort tomorrow.
Yeah, I thought game was 2:30. So only hot the first hour. I agree on probable outcome, just can't do it

Adding selections - all three of these are based on Bet the Board.

They were not overly enthusiastic on either Bama or Oregon State and did not make them a selection and also gave reasons for Ole Miss and Wazzu, but what they did say confirmed my bias. Jacksonville State a total tail.

I have one more play I think I want to make and may make others as game time arrives.

BAMA - 6.5 -110 2 Units. I watched most all of Tulane game and a lot of GaTech. Bet on them vs Tulane. I really thought Tulane beat them up. I'll let Ole Miss try and prove me wrong agst the home record of Bama in the last 100.

Oregon State -3 -110 1 Unit. Bet the Board pod. I leaned Beavers and going with it.

Jacksonville State - 6.5. -110 1 Unit. I know nothing about it except Rich Rod is coach and what Powers said on the cast. Its unusual for them to do this and am riding with the wager bc they made the exception for Powers to do so here.

I think they do that thing w powers lot of the time, maybe he just needed a few weeks before starting back up? I remember they called it the “non powers 5”, I never really tracked (as I don’t track anything! lol). but think he was pretty solid. I thought bout tailing but someone else I respect was telling me the emu team he was talking so bad about tends to be a fantastic road dog and a awful home fav so I decided to just leave alone.

Cowherd's Blazing 5 (0-9-1....yikes!)

LAC +1x 27-24
NO +1 24-23
Wash +6x 24-27
NE -2x 21-17
LAR +3 30-27

He was trying to claim he was 55-56% last year. I don’t think that accurate but fuck if I know, lol. As me and @bones were saying last week he did have a super hot year and half or so run few years back, he was all full of himself then! (Who the fuck hasn’t had a great nfl season or 2? Of course who hasn’t had a awful one too?!?!! Lol).

His plays last week screamed 1-4, 0-5, that was one ugly ass card, I can’t believe he bet that shit (pretty sure he bets). This one ain’t that bat, I don’t understand why ppl keep buying the chargers every year? Worst coach in the league imo. Plus they play very close games, Vikings do pretty well in close games! This feels like 2-2. And flip a coin if he wins or loses 3,, lol.

I think they do that thing w powers lot of the time, maybe he just needed a few weeks before starting back up? I remember they called it the “non powers 5”, I never really tracked (as I don’t track anything! lol). but think he was pretty solid. I thought bout tailing but someone else I respect was telling me the emu team he was talking so bad about tends to be a fantastic road dog and a awful home fav so I decided to just leave alone.
Yeah they do a Non-Power 5 almost every week. But many times Powers has analysis and a point of view. This week he made a straight up selection.

Still, your point is well made.

Yeah they do a Non-Power 5 almost every week. But many times Powers has analysis and a point of view. This week he made a straight up selection.

Still, your point is well made.

I thought he made sone picks last year but who knows, my memory is shit, lol. Like i said I jotted his play down but I’m allergic to blindly tailing, I didn’t even have to look close before someone telling me the team they playing historically a very good road dog and I crossed it off my list. lol. I make more than enough plays without tailing anyone, even tho I respect those guys opinions and love listening to the pod I still don’t tail their weekly play. Sometimes it on my card, think their play was lsu at Mississippi st last week but didn’t even know that till way after I was on them. Sometimes I’ll add to my lean list and sometimes it makes it, this week I’m not thrilled w ducks 1st half although I think that def smarter than -21 for game. Kinda feel like the “sharper” crowd is so hell bent on fading the buffs hype they ignoring the fact they drawing these teams who not bad matchups for them and laying a ton of points!! Give me some mauler teams like Utah, even beavers and maybe ucla, teams that run the ball into the ground! Then I’ll be into fading them, I don’t like the idea of laying big numbers with high octane teams who gonna give them a ton of possessions, that is the best possible thing for them!!!

Added picks from Stanford Steve made on Daily Wager Friday
Texas A&M -8x
Bama -6x
Notre Dame +3
Notre Dame/Ohio St u 55x
UCLA +6

Added to my picks:
N Dame +3x x4
N Dame +3 x2
49ers first quarter -3x Lose
BYU +9x
Kansas St -4x
Teasers N Dame +9x/Bama -1, Oregon -14/LSU -11x

I may add a few more small teasers, but that's it for me

Season 25-17

Air Force - 3.5 2 Units (1 unit @+100 & 1 unit @ -110)
FSU -1 2 Units @-120
Rutgers +25 1 Unit -110
MD -7.5 1 Unit -110
BAMA -6.5 2 Units -110
Oregon State -3 1 Unit -110
Jacksonville State -6.5 1 Unit -110
Its bad when you can tell AF wager is done before halftime. Cordiero is 11 for 11 and running the ball for large gains too.

* glad I was wrong

Last edited:
Bet the Board. 3-0 on the year on their weekly selection. More importantly, I have found their breakdowns very useful thus far this season.

I found this week's pod very informative. It was long, 2 hours. I am making some plays based on what they had to say since it was confirmation bias to my prior leans.

FSU vs Clemson: FSU looking for first win since 2014 agst Clemson. Payne thought FSU had a vanilla game plan last week intentionally due to expected weather. He does think they need to improve. He also said most of the players had the flu last week, which went unmentioned. FSU has had trouble running the ball and it will not get better vs Clemson's front and thinks Jordan Travis will need to run the ball - FSU has bye week next week and thinks Travis will run. He also says Travis needs to "quit trying to win the damn Heisman on every throw" and trying to make every hard completion on every pssing play, instead hit his receicers on shorter routes over the middle. He also concentrates on need for O line to show out like they did agst LSU. Payne thinks last week, and ever since LSU, Seminoles have been thinking about this game. Payne thinks Clemson's defense really has not faced a "real offense" outside of Duke and he thinks FSU will show up this game. Most important thing Payne said was "I initially came into this game thinking I'd be all over Clemson, my mind has changed a little bit the last 36 hours." Powers believes Klubnick is mediocre at QB and does not have a lot of weapons either. No elite wide receivers for Clemson. Bright spots are Shipley and Mafah (RBs) and has questions about ability of their O line to blow people off the ball, ranked #68 by PFF, and he focuses on weakness of Clemson's kicker, Gunn, missed 3 fgs and missed an extra point last weakness. Powers is not a fan of FSU defensive coordinator and thinks their back end breaks down and opponents allow over 7 yds passing - Verse is good but has not played like an All American this season. The 2 teams' strengths go agst each other,FSU offense vs Clemson defense, and the weaknesses agst each other Clemson offense vs FSU defense. Seems like he thinks key may be Klubnick's play. Maybe Clemson has a new kicker this week per Furhman. Brad has upped FSU 2.5 points and Clemson down same amount and preseason he had Clemson a field goal favorite and now he has game about even. FSU almost loosing last week has had line effect. Sounds like overall both Payne and Powers have a very very slight lean to FSU under -3 and at -3 they'd take Clemson.

UCLA vs Utah: UCLA is 1-7 away vs ranked teams in last 8 years. Utah has injury concerns re starting QB, Rising. UCLA QB, Dante Moore may have trouble agst Utah defense? Powers thinks Moore is good but this game may be different for the freshman. Powers likes Chip Kelly despite what others say. He likes UCLA running backs, but had a weak schedule thus far. He also likes the #1 receiver. Pass blocking is not great for O line and they will be tested this week vs one of the best defenses in country who dominates on the D line push but UCLA has explosive potential which we may see? Payne says w/o Rising and TE Kuithe "Utah's offense has not looked good." Are they playing this week? He thinks O line has not been exceptional and no running game explosive plays and with back up QBs they have 29% 3rd down efficiency. Payne sees no weapons w/o Rising and Kuithe. Payne think UCLA's defense is questionable and has not been tested yet this season. Payne "there is a lot of variance in this game...it all comes down to injury report." Powers belives line goes to -6 or even -7 with Rising and Kuithe. (My guy does not have a line available right now)

Colorado vs Oregon: Fuhrman thinks game is "all about the market." Colorado has a 31 straight losses to top 15 teams and 2-30 away agst top 15 teams this century. Travis Hunter's absence is a "cluster injury" all himself and Powers thinks power rating for team is worth 1 point or even more. Powers says the starting 22 is good but no depth and he downgraded Buffs significantly since last week. Payne says "we all understand Buffs record is better than expectation and they have had a lot of variance (basically says they have been lucky)." Colorado's upgrade "makes us uncomfortable." Payne thinks "Hunter's value is at least 2 points" and "Colorado is surviving b/c they have an NFL quarterback and....Travis Hunter is a shut down corner." Payne noted that Deion has been quiet this week and thinks that's important (makes sense to me). They did not say so, but they're not betting the Buffs.

Oregon State vs Wazzu: These 2 have never faced each other in 108 meetings where both were ranked. Payne sounds complimentary re DJU but "he's not perfect." This is his frist true test. Wazzu has been good agst the rush but it is Beavers strength. "Oregon State will try and blame bully ball...and Wazzu has not faced an O line like this." Wazzu has also given up some explosive passes. Payne thinks Beavers have to try to pass more and the O line pass blocking been weak. Payne does not think Wazzu can stop the Beavers' run game and "Wazzu ends have not gotten to the qb at rate we expected....The price here is wild to me. Right now we'd have Oregon State a 4.5 - 5 pt favorite on a neutral agst Wisconsin and they are laying 2.5 in this spot where Wisky was laying 4.5 a handful of days ago. Price is interesting here." Wazzu has had a harder schedule. Powers had Beavers win total preseason over. He has upgraded Beavers a little bit but Wazzu up more at +4.5 points. Powers thought opening line of Oregon being 2.5 favorites was light, he think it should be 3 or closer to 4 range. (-3 now for me). Problem for Wazzu been running the ball. No prior opponents could test Beavers secondary Can Beavers pressure Cam Ward by minimizing his time in pocket? Powers thinks Beavers have advantage up front and Wazzu will be passing and very limited in run game. Beavers corners were weak last week and San Diego State had some explosives agst them. Powers is impressed with Wazzu "but Ward looked not good last week." He does think the O for Wazzu is good and likes their 27 year old O coordinator and they can expose the corners but likes Beavers' safeties. He questions whether Cam Ward will have time since he thinks they will be one dimensional in their offense. Powers wanted to bet Over 54 but it is long gone. "Generally speaking I still like the Over" but does not sound as if he will bet it (my line is 58.5 now).

Ole Miss @ Bama: 107th consecutive home game where Bama will open and close a favorite - won 99 of those games. Bama's former D coordinator, Golding, is now Ole Miss D coordinator. Ole Miss has 52 point avg and ran the ball for 299 last game. Dart, QB, tied for FBS lead at 12.5 yds per pass. Dart leads team in rushing too at 6.7 yd per carry (I think this is not good - but what do I know?). Ole Miss rb, Jutkins, is he fully healthy? They think so - he's been less than 100%. Powers "I am not a big Dart fan" but he does say that Dart has produced. Powers does not like Ole Miss O line run blocking. He focuses on Texas' success via explosive pass game and thinks Dart can do likewise and also believes that Dart will have explosive runs...cites South Florida's QB with no pass game but still got loose for explosive runs. Powers says "Kool-Aid" at corner is a disappointment and relying on true freshman, Downs, at safety creates problems for Bama. Texas took advantage and he thinks Kiffin will do so too. "I think Ole Miss offense has the advantage in this match-up [Ole Miss O vs Bama D]." Payne starts with statement "Best thing that could have happened to Bama was watching Buckner and Simpson struggle agst USF defense...thankfully Milroe is back in the saddle, Milroe has highest floor and ceiling for Bama this season." Bama has O line struggles - known - and he thinks that Bama o line needs to be challenged (by the coaches and team members). They are bad on pass protection and getting run stuffed. They were disgruntled when Milroe was benched and had a "players only" meeting this week. Second thing, Bama needs to let Milroe run - on designed run plays he avgs 9.2 yds per run and they need to do this much more. Bama needs quick and easy target pass plays, not complicated decision making. "Can't ask him to do the difficult things." He has "30% turnover worthy throws" if you require him to read the defense and make adjustments. Golding for Ole Miss was D coordinator at Bama for 5 years and has the advantage on defensive game plan vs Bama O game plan. Powers says "Ole Miss at 3-0 averaging 14 pts victory per game I have barely an upgrade, 1/2 point, on their power ranking...Ole Miss was outplayed by Tulane (I agree) and last week's score is very misleading, it was 27-17 middle of 4th quarter in a 48-23 final vs Ga Tech." Powers has downgraded Bama 4.5 power rating. But, Powers bet Bama this week despite all of the above seemingly negative comments. Payne chimes in and says "this could be the floor on Bama pricing and it would be tough not to lay 6.5 if it got there." (it has at my place).

EMU vs Jackonsville State: Brad says "lay the 6.5 with Jacksonville." He says EMU is worse than people think and gave examples from the season and its a play against EMU. He says what I have seen this year is "3 phony final scores." He goes over the Box Scores with prior opponents Howard, Minnesota and U Mass. Howard outgained EMU, Minn outgained EMU by over 250 yards and at home vs U Mass EMU was +3 in turnovers and only beat Mass by 2. Then Brad goes over the new FBS team's games and they are coming off a bye.....Powers is confident and this "may be a blow out win."

Ohio State vs Notre Dame: ND is 0-5 agst OSU since 1936. Last week qb, McCord, for OSU looked better - gave stats. Payne "Offensively for OSU there is a lot of projection/opinion and neither they or ND defense line has really been tested." OSU was projected to struggle due to losses from last year. This year "40% of drives were 3 and out agst the Hoosiers...did not get O line push agst Yougstown until garbage time....Just once in 3 games - WKy - did OSU O exceed expectation" and WKy D had replaced 8 starters and is outside the top 100 in defensive efficiency. ND defense has really not been tested either. Last year's game plan on D for ND was good, but this year they need to get more aggresive and roll the dice with aggressive defense - man to man coverage and load the box. McCord is 11 for 29 on downfield throws of 10+ yards with one of the best wide receiver groups in the country...over 10% of those throws were turnover worthy. "Force McCord to beat you" Payne says. Powers thinks OSU D linebackers probably have the advantage in the game vs ND. He thinks Hartmann is really good but quality of competition has not been there...he saw Hartmann miss a few throws last week vs CMU after he took a couple of hits and thinks OSU will of course be better than CMU. Estime at RB for ND been great and PFF has him at #1 in country after last week's game. Concerns for ND offense is interior of O line, guard-center-guard - he saw it vs NCST. Powers sounds worried - he's a ND fan. He does like wide receivers and tight end. He has positive things to say about ND coaching BUT he likes what he is seeing from OSU defense this year. "The edge rushers are coming into their own." He really like the Buckeye's linebackers and he thinks OSU D has the edge. Powers bet OSU in the summer when OSU was a bigger favorite and has downgraded them a couple of points this season bc of their offense; yet he still has OSU -4 based on his ratings. He says you will see a large OSU fan base in South Bend and historically that has not been good for Irish.

Iowa vs PennState: PSU is 9-0-1 ATS last 10 games. Iowa lost their top tight end with broken leg and Powers had very negative comments re Cade McNamara and his 'health and throws' and gives the stats to support it. He was very negative "nothing to really like about Iowa passing attack....routes are terrible...no receiver would scare me if I was PennState." PSU D coordinator, Manny Diaz, is doing great job. Really nothing positive to say about Iowa O vs PSU D "I don't see a pathway to success for Iowa's offense." PSU has scored 30 points or more in 10 straight games - nation's longest streak. No turnovers for PSU this season. Payne agrees with Brad Powers re McNamara ("It's scary") and agrees with Furhman that Iowa D will be the toughest test for PSU offense this year. But, Payne does not think PSU offense will have to do much this game. Payne says although some say Iowa has #1 defense "I'm not one of them...Iowa has not played a soul on offense" this year. He also gives stats to support his view that Iowa D is suceptible to big plays. "It would not shock me at all if PSU finds some level of success that has not been completely shown yet...I definitely think PSU will have some short fields created by its defense." Bottom line as I heard it - PSU wins and it could be by a large margin, but they did not make the selection.

Best Bet:
Oregon -11 first half
. Colorado O line problems with getting Sanders time to throw and D line problems. Lanning can prepare for a 1 dimensional offense. Bo Nix will find success thru the air. Thinks Ducks will score easily and early. If you listen you'd think they like them in the game too, but not official.

Besides the best bet, Powers clearly took Jacksonville State -6.5
Bet the Board is now 4-0 (although by time I listened the line for Oregon 1H was -14). Either way, they won.

The added selection by Powers of Jacksonville State was a winner too.

Season 25-17

Air Force - 3.5 2 Units WIN (1 unit @+100 & 1 unit @ -110)
FSU -1 2 Units WIN @-120
Rutgers +25 WIN 1 Unit -110
MD -7.5 1 Unit -110 WIN
BAMA -6.5 2 Units -110 WIN
Oregon State -3 1 Unit -110 LOSE
Jacksonville State -6.5 1 Unit -110 WIN
Penn State team total OVER 26.5 1 Unit -120 WIN
LSU -10.5 1 Unit -127 LOSE
Texas/Baylor UNDER 50.5 1 Unit -122 WIN (very lucky)

(I had some other unposted plays including Messy TT over 2H and OVER in LSU game and a loss on Utah 2H - did not get posted and will not count in record)
WEEK #4: 8-2
Season: 33-19

WEEK #3: 6-4
SEASON: 23-19

Rutgers +24 @ Michigan PUSH
There’s a nasty rumor out there that I don’t like Greg Schiano. This is simply not true. Every week I put on my Rutgers sweatshirt and ensure I don’t miss New Jersey’s finest school’s games. That’s how I know that Rutgers is 3-0 and poised to travel to Ann Arbor and pull off a massive upset to seize early control of the Big Ten East and cement Rutgers as a bona fide playoff … okay, that’s not ever happening. But Rutgers and my guy Schiano are going to cover the big number here because, honestly, Michigan has been fairly pedestrian in its first four games. That continues with Michigan winning 31-10 on Saturday. Boom, you get a nice cover.

FSU -2.5 @ Clemson WIN
The Seminoles were sloppy down the stretch at Boston College and actually were somewhat lucky to hang on in Chestnut Hill. But I think that’s because they were already looking ahead to Clemson. I picked the Seminoles to win the ACC before the season and nothing has changed that expectation. Put simply, Florida State is the better team and should win by a touchdown or more at Clemson. Get a win and cover in the first of the top 25 matchups.

Auburn @ A&M OVER 52.5 LOSE
Part of gambling, especially in college football, is knowing the coaches involved. Hugh Freeze and Bobby Petrino are both offensive guys and ultimately their play-calling pace will dictate the tempo here, which I expect to be fast with a bunch of possessions. If I’m right, and when am I ever wrong?, then you won’t need to worry about who wins because the points will be raining down in College Station. The over’s the play.

KY @ Vandy OVER 49.5 WIN
This Kentucky offense is starting to round into shape and Vanderbilt’s defense can’t stop anyone. What’s that mean? Tap the veins boys and girls, a blood bank guarantee on the over this weekend in Nashville.

Colorado @ Oregon OVER 70 LOSE
I think Oregon is going to absolutely obliterate Colorado. I really do
. The Buffaloes have been a fun story so far, but they haven’t stepped up this high in class yet. Colorado’s defense was exposed by Colorado State after the Travis Hunter injury — I think they are still running wide open on crossing routes — and the Oregon environment for Dan Lanning’s team should be electric. But I think Oregon gets up so much that late touchdowns might put the cover in jeopardy. So I’m just going to take the over instead and cash this winning ticket.

UCLA @ Utah UNDER 52.5 WIN
Utah can drag anyone into the mud with them, including UCLA. I know Chip Kelly’s team has been under the radar so far, but I think they’re running into a defensive buzzsaw against Kyle Whittingham’s crew. The Utes keep it low scoring and ugly, but that’s beautiful if you have the under.

Ole Miss +7 @ Bama LOSE
Sooner or later Lane Kiffin is going to beat Nick Saban. And I think it may well be Joey Freshwater’s year. We’ve already seen former Saban offensive coordinator’s Jimbo Fisher and Steve Sarkisian beat Saban, now Lane makes it a trio. The Tide offensive line can’t block against anyone so the quarterback matters less than in years past. Meanwhile Ole Miss is a quiet, and confident, 3-0. Hotty Toddy, the Rebels cover, and just may win outright in Tuscaloosa.

MD -6.5 @ Sparty WIN
The Spartans have destroyed their football program by forcing out Mel Tucker. You saw last week that the team basically didn’t show up against Washington. Sadly, there’s more of the same coming this week. The Terps move to 4-0 with a double digit win.

UTSA +20 @ Tenny LOSE
Something’s rotten in Knoxville. I don’t know what it is, but that performance against Florida wasn’t just bad, it was putrid, the stench hasn’t lifted. And it started the week before against Austin Peay when the Vols couldn’t put away a mediocre FCS team. This Vol team just isn’t playing well right now and UTSA is a sneaky good non-power five team. Until the Vols prove their offense can blow out someone decent — Virginia doesn’t count — I’m not taking them with a big number. UTSA’s the play.

GaTech @ Wake -3.5 LOSE
Wake stormed back from a huge deficit at Old Dominion. Now they get Georgia Tech in Winston-Salem and the Demon Deacons start fast and put the Yellow Jackets away early. Give me Dave Clawson’s team to stay undefeated.

Ark +17.5 @ LSU OVER 55.5 WIN & WIN
The Razorbacks dropped a stunner at home last week to BYU and now they travel to Death Valley, where LSU is ready to prove its early season loss to FSU was an aberration by opening up the SEC season 2-0. The line is over 17, but the last three games in this series have been decided by three or less and four of the last five have been decided by a touchdown or less. This feels like a huge number, especially when Arkansas has a proven quarterback and is likely to score 20 or more themselves. Give me the Hogs and the over for a double-win on a Louisiana Saturday night.

Ohio State @ Notre Dame +3.5 WIN
I know, I know, Notre Dame always loses the big game. But Marcus Freeman’s team is under the radar so far this year and the Buckeyes, as they’ve worked to find a quarterback, haven’t played that consistently well so far. That inconsistency shows up in South Bend as, wake up the echoes, Notre Dame wins outright behind Sam Hartman’s leadership. But take the Irish +3.5 to have a little buffer here too.

Iowa +14.5 @ PennState LOSE
You know what Iowa’s going to do in this game — take away all the fun. Penn State has scored 30 or more points in 10-straight games, but that trend ends here. The game’s going to be nasty and brutish and it feels like it ends Penn State 27 Iowa 17.
Clay Travis
WEEK #4: 7-6-1
SEASON: 30-25-1

Behind schedule this week. Apologies.

This show is insufferable.

Bear Season: 6-8 ; Best Bets:1-2
Sidekick best bet: 1-2 season

Bear likes 1 favorite and 5 dogs:
A&M -7.5 WIN "A&M has better roster...can run the ball" and A&M has better defense than California.
Messy +6.5 LOSE Bear likes the situation for Messy. Also So Carolina "did nothing in 2H vs Georgia and did nothing vs UNC." He likes Will Rogers. No Juice Wells got SC
FIU +10.5 LOSE Bear likes FIU QB. Thinks time to adjust power rating for FIU. He speaks highly of their season. Liberty has benefited from opponent's turnovers
San Jose State +4.5 LOSE The power of each team's prior opponents skews definitively to Spartans. Spartans do not turn ball over. He likes SJState QB, Cordiero
Ball State +6.5 LOSE He likes the situation and timing for this game. "Sandwich game" for GaSouthern.
Tulsa +4 WIN NIU "might have worst offense in the country." Tulsa is dropping down in class for this game.

Best Bet: Longhorn team total OVER 33.5. WIN Bears 2dary not that good. Ewers and receivers can hurt Baylor

Sidekick best bet: Wazzu +3 WIN
BEAR:
WEEK #4: 3-4
BEST BET WInner
SEASON: 9-12 & BEST BET 2-2

Sidekick
Best Bet WINNER & Season 2-2

Back