Derby Discussion

Didn't Joc Pederson go off in this thing once?

2015 he made it to the finals and Harper pulled it out of his ass being the favorite...he made a hell of a showing. Guy lives to hit bombs. He is a guy who could be a .300+ hitter but refuses to hit for average or to the situation. Just swings out of his ass on every pitch. Hard to blame him for wanting to get paid. But guys like this get pretty into this type of event. He will be on my play list.

Silly that you can get Joc at +650 right now. Santana is the home town guy. The hometown guy usually does better than expected. I like Bell but not the price, I worry he will look great in first round or two and then tire. Guys I am not playing but can throw a wrench in my plays are Bergman and Alonso. Don't understand the love for Vlad much. Kid is strong but his style and lack of experience should come in to play earlier rather than later in this contest. Chapman is capable but being a last minute replacement I think I will be a bit unprepared and just happy to be there.

Silly that you can get Joc at +650 right now. Santana is the home town guy. The hometown guy usually does better than expected. I like Bell but not the price, I worry he will look great in first round or two and then tire. Guys I am not playing but can throw a wrench in my plays are Bergman and Alonso. Don't understand the love for Vlad much. Kid is strong but his style and lack of experience should come in to play earlier rather than later in this contest. Chapman is capable but being a last minute replacement I think I will be a bit unprepared and just happy to be there.

My thinking exactly. I don't see why Pederson is priced that much above the other favs. I had to take a shot at that price.

Also took Bell -175. Really just hit that one for value as I’m seeing over 200 other places

Tossed a few dubs for fun
  1. 7/8/2019 8:00 PM Props Baseball 715 Alex Bregman vs Josh Bell* +659 vs Any other Home Run Derby final matchup
    Fixed Price
    Risking $20.00 To Win $131.80
  2. 7/8/2019 8:00 PM Props Baseball 727 Matt Chapman vs Josh Bell* +939 vs Any other Home Run Derby final matchup
    Fixed Price
    Risking $20.00 To Win $187.80
  3. 7/8/2019 8:00 PM Props Baseball 731 Joc Pederson vs Josh Bell* +666 vs Any other Home Run Derby final matchup
    Fixed Price
    Risking $20.00 To Win $133.20

Good points, just not sure about the experience question with Vlad Jr. I realize the format isn’t a bit different, but these guys hit bombs all day long in BP, and most importantly he has been practicing as if it were the derby, with the pitcher waiting until the ball lands before throwing the next pitch.

Good points, just not sure about the experience question with Vlad Jr. I realize the format isn’t a bit different, but these guys hit bombs all day long in BP, and most importantly he has been practicing as if it were the derby, with the pitcher waiting until the ball lands before throwing the next pitch.

I don't know this but after looking at his profile and a few pics...What kinda shape is he in???...Some big guys are in great shape but he doesn't strike me as the type that hits treadmill very often and he surely isn't missing any meals...only reason I bring it up is cardio is a huge factor in this event after round one. Many a powerful men have hit a ton in round 1 and bleed out in the later rounds...just a thought to add

I’m seeing Santana +150 in first rd vs Alonso. Seems worth a shot considering he’s gonna be the most comfortable hitter @ home.

This year’s Derby also has a younger, fresher look. The field is the youngest ever, averaging 25.26 years-old. Youth in baseball generally means low salary, so these guys may have an added incentive to get that $1 million. Here’s what this year’s participants make right now:
Funny how the highest salary has the longest odds +1150

PICKS
Round 1: Matt Chapman defeats Vladimir Guerrero Jr.
Round 1: Joc Pederson defeats Alex Bregman
Round 1: Pete Alonso defeats Carlos Santana
Round 1: Josh Bell defeats Ronald Acuña Jr.

Round 2: Matt Chapman defeats Joc Pederson
Round 2: Josh Bell defeats Pete Alonso

Champion: Josh Bell defeats Matt Chapman
  • Longest Homer: Josh Bell

I hope the guy(s) you picked have their eyes open, because there's a lot to learn from Joc going first.

You can already see the lefty advantage. Feels like Vlad crushed Joc's performance, but only best him by 3 home runs oops nvm

Couple of these guys not waiting till ball lands. Vlad had an extra 30 seconds at least from not following rules.

Just gotta sweat Bell over Acuna for my last matchup now then sit back and enjoy. Don’t see how Vlad beats Joc

I don't think achieving the dream of pitching to his son in the home run derby went just like he imagined sitting on the couch all those years. Chapman dad is going to need the icy hot tonite in the hotel room. He gonna wake up in the morning and think "maybe it was all a dream!" then smell that icy hot on his arm and be like "damn"

Just gotta sweat Bell over Acuna for my last matchup now then sit back and enjoy. Don’t see how Vlad beats Joc

I think you mean you don’t see how Joc beats Vlad. Dude just put on a show. He may get tired, but so will everyone else, they both got the extra 30 seconds too so they’re on equal ground.

I have Vlad and Joc to win it all (also took Bergman), so I’m at least guaranteed a spot in the finals.

Also speaking of the pitchers not waiting, they all arent

Except chapman's dad fuck, guys wind up was slower than dice k

Back