Dale Jr to Hendrick Motorsports

Yeah...I'm just floored by this..

I think most likely Mears goes to the 5 car and Jr to the 25 w/ Bud on the hood..

Bud has sponsored the 25 in the past...

Overall, money rules the world...Sponsorship dollars are obviously an enormous part of this sport and Jr is the most marketable, popular, and worth the most sponsorship wise...

If you poll people that watch Nascar and they answered honestly, I think you'd be surprised that more would say Kyle has more talent than Jr as a racecar driver and he's 22 years old..

I'm not a Kyle Busch fan...but he's on the short list of the best drivers in the garage...

The top 5 drivers on the circuit are, in my opinion, in no order:

J Gordon, J Johnson, T Stewart, M Kenseth, K Busch...

This is just a shocking move to me..

Last edited:
Mears has a new glossy contract...I think a five year one signed last fall when he replaced Vickers...he's also best friends w/ Johnson...

Kyle was signed through 2008...and they've been working on an extension..

Coulda been some of the deal..who knows...

But Hendrick has played dumb in this deal.

have to agree with you jump, think that Kyle is one of the best up and coming drivers out there, I would sign him in a heartbeat. He will win more races than Jr. will, no doubt about it. Some team is going to get a young great driver for next year, wonder who it will be.

Jr getting in that 5 car a month a half ago doesn't look so innocent now after Kyle left the track.

Dale Jr. was soon pulled from the media swarm to climb into the #5 car. After the race, the media throng again clamored for comments.

What did the car drive like?:

"Like it was wrecked."
Why would you get in another car?

"Because they asked me. I have some friends on that team — and I'll always jump at a chance to climb into someone else's car to see what it's like. They used to do that all the time back in the day. You'd have relief drivers getting into someone's car almost every week, so it was kinda like a step back into NASCAR history or something. Old school! It was cool."

In one of the stranger events on Sunday was Dale Earnhardt Jr. returning to the track after his #8 Chevrolet was retired from the race. While that in itself isn't that odd, what is odd is that Earnhardt Jr. was driving Kyle Busch's #5 Chevrolet. Apparently Kyle Busch thought his car was unable to be repaired and left the track. In need of a driver for the crippled car, Hendrick Motorsports called on Earnhardt Jr. to pilot the #5 machine who was still in the garage area.

have to agree with you jump, think that Kyle is one of the best up and coming drivers out there, I would sign him in a heartbeat. He will win more races than Jr. will, no doubt about it. Some team is going to get a young great driver for next year, wonder who it will be.

would be shocked if it's not in that 8 car...

Truex and Kyle make a formidable combo for sure...and very young...

I don't see any way that Gordon, Johnson, and Jr are going to coexist...

This has NYYankee type problems written all over it...

I wouldnt mind seeing him at DEI as Truex has proven that he can win races and do well with the equipment there.

What about making the 4th at Gibbs....Stewart, Hamlin Busch and Yeley

I don't think that would work for the same reason Jr prolly wasn't going to work at RCR...

I knew Jr wasn't going to a new race team w/ no owners points...that would lock him in the first races next year and you can't risk that when running for a championship...and Childress wasn't moving Harvick, Burton, or Bowyer to a new team so Jr wouldn't have to worry about that...that, coupled w/ the "follow in Sr's" footsteps were major hurdles..

Only way Kyle comes to Gibbs would be in the 18 car..

Rick Hendrick currently has four drivers under contract, and told the AP last month ``there was no room at the inn'' for Earnhardt. NASCAR rules permit a car owner to field four Nextel Cup teams.

so the car keeps the points...i.e. jr will have no problem making the races if he is driving the 5 since kyle is in 10th. what if yeley somehow drops out of the top 35...wouldnt that be a moot point since kyle wouldnt be guaranteed to get in.

No way he will though...he's 19th and there's some shitty as cars from 25th on back..

Yes...the car keeps the points...the top 35 for guaranteed starting spots is based on owner pts, not driver pts.

UPDATE 2: ESPN.com's Marty Smith reports: Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Wednesday will announce his intent to drive the #5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevy in 2008, multiple sources with intimate knowledge of negotiations told ESPN.com Tuesday on condition of anonymity. Hendrick Motorsports declined comment Tuesday, and e-mails and calls sent to Earnhardt's representation were not returned. Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, who has handled contract negotiations for her brother, declined to comment on the report. There was some speculation that the wheels are already in motion to plant Earnhardt in the #5 now driven by Kyle Busch before season's end, but Dale Earnhardt, Inc. president Max Siegel, contacted by phone Tuesday, discounted that scenario, saying Earnhardt would remain in the #8 through season's end. Sources said there are indications that Busch may not finish the year in the #5. Busch is under contract with HMS through the end of next season, and Hendrick had been working to sign the 22-year old driver to an extension. Jeff Dickerson, an attorney for Busch, told ESPN.com that "a lot of things may or may not occur. Out of respect for Hendrick Motorsports, we're not really sure what's going on yet. But we're trying. I don't think anything's changed yet. I can not tell you that Kyle is out of the #5 for 2008." Meanwhile, one potential scenario would be Casey Mears moving to the #5 and Earnhardt moving to the #25 currently being driven by Mears [Budweiser sponsored Hendrick and the #25 for many years]. It is unknown whether sponsor Budweiser will follow Earnhardt to Hendrick. Budweiser officials are expected to release a statement Wednesday saying the company wishes Earnhardt well and that it will begin exploring its relationship with Earnhardt after the announcement. Hendrick Motorsports does have a history with Budweiser as a sponsor in the 1990s with [Ken Schrader] Ricky Craven and Wally Dallenbach Jr.(ESPN.com), the Associated Press is reporting similar news/speculation.(6-12-2007)

UPDATE 3: Hearing that Dale Earnhardt, Jr. will end up at Hendrick Motorsports, taking Kyle Busch's roster spot. As to what happens to Busch, he'll take Junior's place at Dale Earnhardt, Incorporated.(6-12-2007)

UPDATE 4: also heaing another scenerio: Jr will be in the #5, Kyle Busch to Ginn [#01] and Mark Martin will finish out 2007 in the #5. No word on who would be in the #8....if this happens.(6-13-2007)

i just read that 4th scenario 4 times because it was so dumb and impossible to comprehend...no way that happens....

Back