CTG Members College Football Poll:

Well, they had a berth before season started. Two teams above them will have a loss so they are fine. They don't deserve to be top 3 though.

good , can’t have the defending national champs out if they are undefeated

good , can’t have the defending national champs out if they are undefeated
I don't agree with this at all. So many different players etc. If 4 teams are also undefeated and have a better resume...so be it. Clemson, not their own fault, plays in the 5th or 6th best conference in the country. The resume is shitty. They are very good but it's tough to show when your opponents all year are not good.

Objective sources:

FEI:

1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Clemson
4. LSU
5. Wisconsin
6. Oklahoma

Sagarin:

1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Clemson
4. Penn State
6. Oklahoma

----------------------
Oddsmakers subjective opinions (per TGS):

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. LSU
4. Ohio State
5. Georgia
6. Oregon

I think the biggest discussion point is where Oklahoma was placed. Are they saying that the Pac 12 has a better chance of a bid than OU?
Yes, that's exactly what they're saying. The Committee chairman is the UO AD.

I don't agree with this at all. So many different players etc. If 4 teams are also undefeated and have a better resume...so be it. Clemson, not their own fault, plays in the 5th or 6th best conference in the country. The resume is shitty. They are very good but it's tough to show when your opponents all year are not good.

a totally subjective playoff system leaves out defending national champs who would be on an incredible winning streak

yeah it would be a travesty if they were left out

a totally subjective playoff system leaves out defending national champs who would be on an incredible winning streak

yeah it would be a travesty if they were left out
Is it fair that most of those wins are against pure garbage? I know they cannot control their own conferences shortcomings but again ..if 4 other schools are all 12-0 with multiple wins against the top 25 in rankings while Clemson might finish with ONE...you are taking Clemson just because?

Is it fair that most of those wins are against pure garbage? I know they cannot control their own conferences shortcomings but again ..if 4 other schools are all 12-0 with multiple wins against the top 25 in rankings while Clemson might finish with ONE...you are taking Clemson just because?
because the whole thing is an eye test

and there is zero doubt Clemson is a top 4 team

They also would be on a huge winning streak

they also would be defending champs

And I was told all last year Bama was not beatable ,

I'm fine with the eye test. But, that's the problem with CFB. The ACC and sec have built in advantages with their conference scheduling (Clemson plays sisters of the poor while Bama etc play only 8 games in conference). Read the ESPN article today. Look at the pie charts and you'll see why the SEC doesn't want changes. It would cost them in the end.

We know that Clemson is systematically underrated. Clemson is 6-1 ATS in playoff games, covering by an average of more than 14 points per game. Last year's Clemson team was arguably the best ever. This isn't FSU 2014 where we all thought Jameis was shaving points because the Noles were trailing at the half every game before squaeking out 8 wins by 6 points or fewer. The ACC schedule is weak, but I have no doubt that you would rather play a re-match v. PSU than face Clemson.

Hey, Clemson is better than PSU I'd say. The committee knows Clemson will be in playoffs ...they kept with the resume rankings and put them where they should be. They'll move up to 4 next week while this week's loser slips to 5. Then in a few weeks they'll be #3 where they will finish most likely. If LSU or bama wins out they will face Clemson in one semifinal.

I'm fine with the eye test. But, that's the problem with CFB. The ACC and sec have built in advantages with their conference scheduling (Clemson plays sisters of the poor while Bama etc play only 8 games in conference). Read the ESPN article today. Look at the pie charts and you'll see why the SEC doesn't want changes. It would cost them in the end.

i Def agree with the built in advantages that the ACC and Sec have

Hey, Clemson is better than PSU I'd say. The committee knows Clemson will be in playoffs ...they kept with the resume rankings and put them where they should be. They'll move up to 4 next week while this week's loser slips to 5. Then in a few weeks they'll be #3 where they will finish most likely. If LSU or bama wins out they will face Clemson in one semifinal.
But why should the LSU/Bama loser automatically slip? Or the Ohio State/Penn State loser? It shouldn't work like that.

But why should the LSU/Bama loser automatically slip? Or the Ohio State/Penn State loser? It shouldn't work like that.
Hey, you lose a game, you drop. Now..how far you drop can definitely depend on an opponent. As far as I'm concerned let's say LSU and PSU win this week ...rankings next week... LSU-OSU-PSU-Clemson-Bama-Georgia.

Hey, you lose a game, you drop. Now..how far you drop can definitely depend on an opponent. As far as I'm concerned let's say LSU and PSU win this week ...rankings next week... LSU-OSU-PSU-Clemson-Bama-Georgia.

And if PSU loses to OSU the following week?

Btw..told hunt this earlier...I won't be surprised if Georgia wins in Atlanta.. then this gets REAL FUN.

Actually the real fun is if Baylor beats Texas and OU... The resume isn't great but it's okay... And undefeated.

2 weeks. Assuming PSU and OSU win this weekend, what happens to the loser of that matchup?
PSU has to win out to make playoffs .. OSU can sustain a loss..in a close game and still make it on the "eye test". There is no doubt they are the best team in country all around. It's not even debatable imo.

PSU has to win out to make playoffs .. OSU can sustain a loss..in a close game and still make it on the "eye test". There is no doubt they are the best team in country all around. It's not even debatable imo.

Does that hurt to say?

Does that hurt to say?
No. While 90% of the country/forum/Twitter thought Fields would be a bust I was saying since last December he'd be in Heisman race. I would have played futures on them except the backup QB situation scared me. The talent on defense is always there, they weren't coached up last year I guess.

They can lose a game and to me this team rivals the 06 and 95 teams. I think in my lifetime the 95 team is one of the best teams I've seen. They just happened to get "Biakubutuka'd".

baylor at 12 behind 2 loss teams like florida and auburn is criminal. So is putting oklahoma over them. Does the committe know they haven't lost a game yet ? I get the texas tech game but it's still 0 losses. Baylor has more quality wins right now than florida and auburn do. Big 12 may be deepest conference of quality teams , iowa state, kansas state, oklahoma state solid wins.

1. Ohio state (last week #1)
2. Lsu (last week #2)
3 alabama (last week #3) - An argument could be made for as low as #5
4 Clemson (last week #4) - An argument could be made for as low as #5
5 Pedo State (last week #6) - An argument could be made for as high as #3.
6 Baylor - Best resume of remaining unbeatens
1. Ohio State (Last Week #1)
2. LSU (last week #2)
3. Alabama (last week #3)
4. Clemson (last week #4)
5. Pedo State (last week #5)
6. Baylor (last week #6)

The rest

7. Minnesota
8. Oregon
9. Utah
10. Georgia

But you said LSU should be #1 and OSU is the most complete team. Shouldn't the most complete team be #1?
Correct. Perhaps when they complete their schedule. I just think the resume’ is self explanatory......will be for sure after Saturday;)

Go ahead and lay the points with Clemson. They are going to destroy NC State.

Dabo going to run w/ this ranking thing, big time.

Despite being one of the two best programs for the last 5 years, he has been able to play the chip on their shoulder card the whole time. Pretty impressive and effective apparently

Despite being one of the two best programs for the last 5 years, he has been able to play the chip on their shoulder card the whole time. Pretty impressive and effective apparently

Yup. Last night the managers were just tacking up "RESPECT" signs everywhere in their locker room. And they'll be taking more signs to Raleigh.

Bet this is a blood-letting.

Yup. Last night the managers were just tacking up "RESPECT" signs everywhere in their locker room. And they'll be taking more signs to Raleigh.

Bet this is a blood-letting.

I agree and will be on Clemson TT over as well as ATS. Honestly, they are good enough for this to be a blood-letting regardless of the rankings "disrespect"

sounds like Lou Holtz

Here's more from Dabo:

During his weekly news conference on Tuesday, Swinney questioned why Alabama always gets the benefit of the doubt for beating up on its conference opponents, but Clemson does not.

"It is just the same ol' spin," he said.

He added that he wasn't sure if he would even watch to see where his team was ranked.

"It just doesn't matter," Swinney said. "If we're 2, 3, 4, 15 -- it just doesn't matter. It's not worth the brain cells. We just go to work and try to have a good Wednesday practice."

Obviously there is a lot of football left to play but Dabo is always looking for an edge, any edge.

Back