Coaching/GM Carousel 2013

Props to my suitemate in college, Adam "goose" Gase being promoted to oc for Donks. Dude used to beat me 80-0 in madden everytime.

Nick Saban disciple.

Supposedly Ray Horton will end up in Cleveland as DC

they mighta whiffed in the head coach, but its tough to do better than Turner and Horton as coordinators if that's how it pans out

Supposedly Ray Horton will end up in Cleveland as DC

they mighta whiffed in the head coach, but its tough to do better than Turner and Horton as coordinators if that's how it pans out

awesome coordinators there will help the coach tremendously and possibly serve as interim if chud is a chump.

cant believe the bears didnt go hard after horton despite schematically they dont have the players.

Yea went to msu but grew up in Ann arbor. Blue first and foremost. Thx kj.

Twink yeah, bathroom splits the dorm room, my best friend roomed with goose and I had a solo.

fully expect philly to turn on him after a 1-4 start or something

but I hope they give him at least 2 years to put in his system and get players that can play in it

i love that this is the perception of Philly fans, who endured years of fucking up by both McNabb and Reid before "turning on them". Sorry we're not satisfied with rooting for a terrible team year in and year out and just saying silly things like "I trust Mr. Davis" or "It's fine that Hue Jackson traded away good future high draft picks for a washed up QB to make the playoffs 1 year!"

Uh oh, Browns hire the very unpopular (here anyway) Mike Lombardi as their head personnel guy. From out of the league and on TV to picking our groceries.

Well, Lombardi doesn't have much of a track record in the league, and if he was that well thought of, I don't think he would have been out of the league that long. Most members of the local media, if they were here in the nineties, have a personal beef with Lombardi from his first time here with Belichick. Like Belichick, he made no friends in the media. He is portrayed locally as a backstabber and an underminer, and a guy whose every NFL job has always been due to an association with Belichick, who supposedly speaks highly of Lombardi but has oddly never brought him into his own team since. Lombardi, legend has it anyway, was also the producer and director of a Bernie Kosar lowlight film shown to Art Modell to persuade him it was OK to cut him. Cleveland loves Bernie. Anyway, I can't think of a single local scribe, radio guy or TV guy who has a good word to say about him, so that's the view delivered to the fans. Also, I guess he's Banner's boy, so that's another strike.

Personally, I don't think he's ever been even remotely in charge of any team's NFL draft or its player personnel decisions, so not really much to go on there. I'll give him a shot. (What's my choice?) I do find it a little troubling that the Browns hired a HC and a GM who did not receive an interview from any other team this year.

b1107b5dc862193304746b7da28251a2_normal.jpeg
Josh Gordon
  • <abbr title="Verified Account">✔</abbr>
@JOSH_GORDONXII<iframe class="twt-follow-button" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.html#align=right&button=grey&screen_name=JOSH_GORDONXII&show_count=false&show_screen_name=false&lang=en" frameBorder="0" allowTransparency="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>“@AdamSchefter: Browns hired Michael Lombardi as GM.” Uh oh.. Am I in trouble??

18 Jan 13

tip- NFL beat writers abound on twitter are beating the Ryan Mallet drum for ya'll now that Lombardi is on board. Try not to throw your back out doing backflips.

Yeah. Schools 55 miles from each other, and I was too dumb to get in UM. Most people were.

Yeah, JoeP, I wasn't aware those guys (Lurie & Banner) were on such bad terms, I thought they were childhood friends or whatever.

Funniest part from today's Lombardi presser was when Grossi asked Banner why (paraphrasing) if Lombardi was so great, why did Banner's Eagles fire him.

There was plenty of chatter following Chip Kelly's decision to accept the Philadelphia Eagles' coaching job. One interesting topic involved potential quarterbacks that would allow him to incorporate all aspects of his offensive system. This draft class doesn't have an ideal candidate for his scheme but one executive mentioned an interesting possibility. Why not trade a mid-round pick to the Baltimore Ravens for Tyrod Taylor?

Why not trade a mid-round pick to the Baltimore Ravens for Tyrod Taylor?

I love that no matter how many times, in how many different ways, Chip Kelly says he tailors his offense to his personnel and that he won't be running the Oregon offense in Philly no one listens to him. It's really kind of amazing. It's as if he never even opened his mouth at all.

OK, for the record, I think Chud was a potentially terrible hire at HC. That said, I couldn't be happier with the OC and DC choices Cleveland made. Absolutely love them.

If they don't completely put their dick in the dirt during the draft, dare I believe this team has a future?

OK, for the record, I think Chud was a potentially terrible hire at HC. That said, I couldn't be happier with the OC and DC choices Cleveland made. Absolutely love them.

If they don't completely put their dick in the dirt during the draft, dare I believe this team has a future?

I'm hearing reports they're paying Norv around the same as Chud, and that they're paying Horton 2-million/yr.

Also, here comes our biennial switch back and forth between the 4-3 to the 3-4.

Also, here comes out biennial switch back and forth between the 4-3 to the 3-4.

Whew, I was getting worried. Also, this is awesome because I believe we have exactly four LBs on the roster total, none of whom should really be starters on any NFL roster.

I'm also not sure how deep this draft is at LB so maybe we'll just out-score people next year. Let's go Chargers, er, Browns.

I've been screaming for linebackers for years. They're going to need a few.

The defense is such a shitshow. I'm honestly glad Horton is coming in if only to make it respectable. But I can't see that happening overnight.

In some ways I wouldn't be shocked to see the Browns trade down to stockpile picks. We just need so much help on D.

I'm glad they hired Horton pretty much just because I like the 3-4, and that has EVERYTHING to do with watching the Steelers abuse the Browns for close to 15 years. Didn't have a problem with the job Jauron did though, his D was about as limited in talent as the Browns offense and it carried the mail the last couple years.

I'd like to see Cleveland stockpile picks too, but it will probably be kind of a popular idea in the league this year, not a very sexy draft.

league pushing for more OCs to be black now since most of the hires were OC and there is only one black OC in the league for the Ravens, and he was promoted mid season.

look for a Rooney OC rule

Oh, by the way, completely randomly I saw a big chunk of the Arians' press conference today. This guy is awesome. He basically admitted they're going to play to overs next year.

He compared his philosophy to golf saying he never lays up and he puts a lot of balls in the water. For a minute I was sure he was going to make a Steed + teabagging joke, but he didn't. Instead he said he aims to have about six home run plays in every gameplan and he makes sure they all get used to take shots down the field.

He flat out said that in today's NFL you don't win by dinking and dunking down the field for four quarters, defenses are too good. So you have to take shots.

His demeanor was pretty honest and pretty awesome, I really liked him.

Out goes Weeden for the Browns here comes either Ryan Mallett or Lombardi's secret lover Brian Hoyer. Think it was last year on the BS Report he said he would give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Brian Hoyer to be his starting QB. Lucky for Browns fans Hoyer is a Free Agent now I believe.

How does Pat Shurmur mesh with Chip Kelly?? I watched this clown's offense for two years and I can't even tell you what it is. The zone read option offense meets the indescribably shitty offense.

The weird relationship between my two teams continues.

I'm with Tip and Jump actually. I have no idea how he fits because his offense was ... well, yeah. But I think Grump has a point, Kelly will almost certainly be calling the plays anyway.

Schurmer might be getting hired for his ability to coach, meaning, the things he does with guys in practice and positionally as opposed to Kelly wanting someone to run the offense.

Back