Coaching/GM Carousel 2013

i would say normally it takes a coach in college 3 years to start moving in the right direction for his program with his guys. in the nfl, its one or two. hes got some toys, but an awful o lline, a ? qb and a terrible back 7 on D. I cant wait to see this either way.

Lol terrible OL is fixed by drafting a Tackle in top 5, getting Peters back, ill take Peters at 75% over most in league, u mover herremans back to guard. Bing bang boom.. a solid OL.

smoke im gonna start crying for joe webb again. haha

as i said on twitter, its dumb to say this makes Geno likely at 4. what? because hes black ppl think hes a good running qb? thats lazy journalism. his skill set is actually closer to foles' than vick's
someone said this that is actually hired by an establishment>

or a blogger or twitter guy?

not lazy journalism.....not journalism at all

Lol terrible OL is fixed by drafting a Tackle in top 5, getting Peters back, ill take Peters at 75% over most in league, u mover herremans back to guard. Bing bang boom.. a solid OL.

Right, their O Line isn't terrible, they were just decimated with injuries and had to resort to backups and third/fourth stringers at almost every position.

Trestman is basically going to be OC anyway

My guess is he wanted a good OL coach, promoted Kromer to basically do that. Trestman will be calling the plays and working with Cutler, Kromer probably has the OL and running scheme

Good hire for Philly. Should be intriguing. I think people are wrapped up in the offense scheming deal with Chip.....that wont work

I am more curious to see how many plays they run a game, how many no huddles, how many 4th down tries, and how many 2 pt conversions are tried

that is what is intriguing

I also think defenses will catch up to the spread these guys are running(all versions) sooner than the later

I am much more a believer in a Pats/Saints/Pack(Rodgers is mobile, the other 2 are statues) offense for long term results. Not that they all run the same offense, but it keeps the QB shelf life longer. A guy like Cam is so big he will not get tarnished as bad. But this year was something else with all these QBs runnin.

Norv Turner officially named Browns OC

This is the only thing that makes hiring Chud as HC acceptable. It'll be nice to have a Browns QB in the Pro Bowl again in a few years.

Seattle Seahawks announce Florida DC Dan Quinn as Seahawks new defensive coordinator

Fuck you for stealing our DC, Seattle.
I'm glad you lost last week. Mostly because I had the Falcons ML, but now, in retrospect, for this. You can eat it.

Also, I haven't really liked what the Browns have been doing on special teams now for at least a year. I'm not convinced Cribbs is getting the blocking he used to get, yet they kept their special teams guy. Hmmmmm ...

(Yes, I know Cribbs might not be back, but the scheme question remains for me.)

To be fair...Florida stole him from Seattle first

You know how this works, Smoke. Once he's ours, he's ours. You're either with us or you're with the terrorists. I stand behind my 'fuck you,' fully and unequivocally.

=)

Former Cardinals HC Ken Whisenhunt will become offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers.

I wonder if he was afraid of being out of football. This feels like a step down to me, although there is (or should be) enough talent there to put together a really good offensive season and be right back on the radar for HC spots. Or maybe he loved the fit, I don't know but it sort of feels to me like Wiz bailed out here.

Also, to be honest, there's a little bit of bail out in Chip Kelly's move to me, too. I have this feeling we're going to see Oregon get sanctioned now, Kelly knew it—or it really hit him—once he said he was going to stay, and re-thought his decision. Just a thought, but I think that might help explain the whiplash going on there.

If I knew how to make this my avatar I would

f7c0ba2918bc1818cdf490ac8357da50.png

The odd thing about the Seattle coaching thing, by the way, is that I totally wish Gus Bradley luck in Jax.

Joe's a complicated individual.

If I knew how to make this my avatar I would

f7c0ba2918bc1818cdf490ac8357da50.png

Save it to your computer, and open with paint because you'll need to resize it. When it's open in paint, hit the resize button on the top left and choose 50 to shrink it to 50% of it's current size (you may have to go smaller, you won't know until you upload as your avatar), and save it. Now that it's saved in that size, you should be able to go to your profile and upload in the "change avatar" section.

Um ... OK, but ... wait.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lurie said he spoke w/Bradley on Thursday and encouraged him to take Jacksonville job.</p>&mdash; Eagles Insider (@EaglesInsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/EaglesInsider/status/291997353022468096" data-datetime="2013-01-17T19:56:08+00:00">January 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What's interesting to me about that quote is what it suggests about the Roseman story from the other day. The one about Roseman being such an asshole.

Almost all organizations take their cues from the guy at the top. If Lurie was taking a shot there (it's tough to tell without hearing the tone or the specific question), it suggests the whole front office vibe may be build on the foundation of being a dick.

I also agree that Kelly used the Browns to leverage himself more money, but I think he used the Birds too in the same way. More and more I think he knew sanctions were going to hit and he took the Pete Carroll way out.

This Banner isn't much in the charisma department, is he. The perception of him in Cleveland is mud and he's been here like two months and really hasn't had a chance to do anything yet except not hire Chip Kelly.

Yeah, Cleveland will get used to him, but let's be honest, that pedophile vibe will never go away.

Banner's best bet to have even a decent relationship with whatever community he's in is always let others talk to the press and just quietly do charity work on the side. Otherwise he really is that guy you neither want to work for nor let near a Chuck-E-Cheese.

Fair. It also fits with the whole Gruden vibe. He wants everyone to think he's coming back, but then when somebody calls he gives up the game.

It also probably keeps him employed at ESPN in some ways. If they think the guy is always one step away from being hired back into the league, he's more valuable than just another ex-coach.

What's interesting to me about that quote is what it suggests about the Roseman story from the other day. The one about Roseman being such an asshole.

Almost all organizations take their cues from the guy at the top. If Lurie was taking a shot there (it's tough to tell without hearing the tone or the specific question), it suggests the whole front office vibe may be build on the foundation of being a dick.

I also agree that Kelly used the Browns to leverage himself more money, but I think he used the Birds too in the same way. More and more I think he knew sanctions were going to hit and he took the Pete Carroll way out.

Right, I agree with you. My point was more that Lurie is trying to come off as if he's so smart and the Browns had no chance. When in reality, whether or not the Browns had a real shot, Lurie ponied up more money than he had to for Chip....making him anything but so smart.

Just curious how you know that when the only thing that's been reported about the deal is its 5 years long?

I don't know that for a fact at all. I'm using my best guess though to surmise that Chip used the Browns as leverage to get more money from the Eagles. The same Eagles that said the Browns had no chance in the first place, but then most likely ponied up more money than they had to.

If his only options were Oregon or the Eagles, I'm guessing the Eagles could have gotten him "on the cheap" since most think that sanctions are coming from Oregon. If that's true (the sanctions), then it would stand to reason that Chip wasn't necessarily in a position to get more money from any NFL team since he probably wasn't going to stick around in Oregon. Either you stay in Oregon and suffer the sanctions/consequences for years to come, or you come and coach for us and we pay you what we want, not what you want.

I think it was a bit of everything. My totally uneducated guess is it went something like:

1. Oregon's season ends and Kelly calls his agent to see what the market is.

2. Agent calls back and says the Browns and Birds are serious, this is their salary ballpark.

3. Kelly agrees to interview knowing full well, worst case scenario, he'll use it to leverage more money from Oregon/Nike.

4. For whatever reason Kelly decides it's better to take more money to stay where he is. Either this was always the plan or the plan was 'make me an offer too good to turn down' or whatever it was, he goes back to Eugene.

5. Then some combination of the press clips touting how he might be ruining his NFL opportunities, his agent stressing there won't be a better market/price for him, the likely sanctions coming to UO, Kelly changes his mind—after he's already gotten a check from Nike, mind you—and calls his agent back to see if the Birds, not the Browns, deal might still be there.

6. Since the Birds had struck out with their other two college choices and were now going to go with Gus Bradley—obviously a number two choice compared to Kelly in their books—the Birds were open to it and the deal gets done.

I honestly don't think the deal Kelly got now from Philly is too far off what they were originally offering him. I don't think he was totally able to better deal it because of how his pulling out of NFL offers played in the press. No way was he going back to Cleveland even if they hadn't made a hire, they said he wasn't committed to coaching in the league. And they were his next best option. If he wanted any other job, he'd have had to start all over in the process and the number of open spots has essentially been cut in half since the process started.

So his outs were fewer. It was either the Birds or nothing this year because of the position he put himself in. Now the only question for me is how is he going to give Nike their money back.

I think it was a bit of everything. My totally uneducated guess is it went something like:

1. Oregon's season ends and Kelly calls his agent to see what the market is.

2. Agent calls back and says the Browns and Birds are serious, this is their salary ballpark.

3. Kelly agrees to interview knowing full well, worst case scenario, he'll use it to leverage more money from Oregon/Nike.

4. For whatever reason Kelly decides it's better to take more money to stay where he is. Either this was always the plan or the plan was 'make me an offer too good to turn down' or whatever it was, he goes back to Eugene.

5. Then some combination of the press clips touting how he might be ruining his NFL opportunities, his agent stressing there won't be a better market/price for him, the likely sanctions coming to UO, Kelly changes his mind—after he's already gotten a check from Nike, mind you—and calls his agent back to see if the Birds, not the Browns, deal might still be there.

6. Since the Birds had struck out with their other two college choices and were now going to go with Gus Bradley—obviously a number two choice compared to Kelly in their books—the Birds were open to it and the deal gets done.

I honestly don't think the deal Kelly got now from Philly is too far off what they were originally offering him. I don't think he was totally able to better deal it because of how his pulling out of NFL offers played in the press. No way was he going back to Cleveland even if they hadn't made a hire, they said he wasn't committed to coaching in the league. And they were his next best option. If he wanted any other job, he'd have had to start all over in the process and the number of open spots has essentially been cut in half since the process started.

So his outs were fewer. It was either the Birds or nothing this year because of the position he put himself in. Now the only question for me is how is he going to give Nike their money back.

My question was whether or not you thought he would have to give the money back to Oregon (assuming they already gave it to him). Shouldn't be too hard to give it back if he already received it, it's not like he could have spent it all already. We're talking about a week or two here, hell Phil Knight could probably still put a stop on the check if he wanted to (kidding for those who don't comprehend what they read very well).

Honestly I think it depends on how much of a dick Kelly is. If he really wanted to burn the bridge he'd just keep it. But I doubt that. Also, honestly, he probably hadn't even received it yet, they'd probably just agreed to it.

But if in that week here where he'd agreed to come back and Phil bucked up and sent over a check, I'd imagine Kelly would be smart enough and honorable enough to return it. Otherwise you're pretty much a Grade A asshole.

Word is Lovie Smith is gonna sit out the year and wait for a HC gig in 2014 as opposed to taking a DC job his year

Smart move in many ways, really. Lovie should be a HC. Time away may give him time to look at OCs and figure out where his ideas there went wrong.

The guy can't develop an offense it was proven in Chicago - I dont see him ever being a HC again. He will make a great DC though.

Back