Coaching/GM Carousel 2013

Dan have you watched Alex Smith, in particular when he was at Utah? He's both fast and athletic, ran Urban Meyers offense in college.

fair enough, i didnt watch cfb much back then. but hes much older now right? and aside from that absurd 4th q run vs the saints in the playoffs, has he ever shown that he can do that in the NFL

I don't know that he's really been asked that by OCs in his career, but my impression is that Kelly's NFL offense is going to consist of less runs downfield than his college offense did, although mobility in the pocket/backfield and the threat of running will probably be components.

Either way, lead foot Foles is not the answer. You will never accept this but that is not the guy for the future.

nah I even said that i love foles as an NFL qb but this might not be a good fit.

Im already talking myself into Webb and Tebow haha

Tebow's not such a good fit D-W. It's the Oregon system, not the Army system. Some passing required.

fair enough, i didnt watch cfb much back then. but hes much older now right? and aside from that absurd 4th q run vs the saints in the playoffs, has he ever shown that he can do that in the NFL

Because they never asked him too. If he could have come out of college and ran an offense like RGIII or RW he would have been much better from day 1. He could also run the offense that CK is right now too. He is not nearly as fast as CK, so don't think I'm suggesting that he is.

Heath Evans seems neutral on the topic.

Haha...but its funny - I was listening to him on 97.5 this morning (side note: i literally musta turned it off a minute before they said Kelly was back in play and Urda heard it and snaked it on Twitter!! Im on to your sources Dwoww...) and he was blasting Gus Bradley too. Said he wouldnt work here because he didnt run this great scheme in Seattle - he just had a talented d

apparently in a quote to chris brown, kelly specifically said "i want a qb who can run not a rb who can throw, this isnt a tim tebow kind of offense"

there goes my dream.

Word is Lovie Smith is gonna sit out the year and wait for a HC gig in 2014 as opposed to taking a DC job his year

So speculation is its one of the college guys...

Also think it will be a 3-4

The DC from UGA and Jarvis Jones at 4??

Hows that grab anyone?

yea well it's a little easier to find complimentary pieces to what you have...guys like graham and cole can't play in a 3-4...you'd give up 300 yds rushing a game.

yea well it's a little easier to find complimentary pieces to what you have...guys like graham and cole can't play in a 3-4...you'd give up 300 yds rushing a game.

NFL draft: At linebacker or defensive end, Brandon Graham should make an impact in NFL

By Dave Birkett AnnArbor.com

LaMarr Woodley spent most of his Michigan football career playing defensive end, but the Pittsburgh Steelers saw enough in him to turn him into an outside linebacker when they drafted him three years ago.

Twenty-nine sacks and one Pro Bowl later, the move looks like a stroke of genius.
Woodley said he expects his friend and former Michigan teammate Brandon Graham to follow the same career path in the NFL.

“He’s athletic enough he can do it,” Woodley said. “Playing defensive end sometimes for a long period of time, you haven’t taken the amount of reps to prepare for that position. I think he’ll adjust to it real well. Once he gets into camp and gets practice doing it, I think he’s going to be excellent at it. Plus, he’s got a lot of speed.”

Graham led the nation with 26 tackles for loss and won the Chicago Tribune’s Silver Football Award as Big Ten MVP last year as a defensive end. Still, some scouts, analysts and talent evaluators think he projects better as a 3-4 outside linebacker as a pro.

Graham is expected to be a first-round pick when the NFL draft begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday.

“I kind of like him at 3-4 outside linebacker,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “The first time I put a tape on, he reminded me an awful lot of Woodley. They both were tremendously stout against the run and they had some explosion getting up the field.

“I don’t know if he’s got the same lower-body explosion that Woodley does or not. And let’s face it, Woodley was only a second-round pick, probably because of his height, which is something Brandon Graham is going to face.”

At 6-foot-1 and 268 pounds, Graham is considered undersized for the NFL. For that reason, ESPN analyst Todd McShay said Graham’s “perfect fit” would be in a 3-4 scheme like the one the Steelers run, where pass-rushing outside linebackers are coveted no matter their frame or body type.

“Any team that will allow him to get up the field and get after the quarterback, I think he’ll do a good job,” McShay said. “I could see a team like Atlanta, the Falcons, even though they run a 4-3, they’re looking for a pass rusher and they’re looking for a guy that can come in and make an impact opposite (John) Abraham and they don’t mind if you’re a little bit undersized as well. He’s so short. That’s the thing that hurts him with several teams.

“But again, I think he’s a top-20 talent and if he falls anywhere below, some team’s going to get a real good value on him.”

Graham worked out as a linebacker at his personal pro day earlier his month. One NFL front-office executive familiar with the workout said Graham is never “going to look like a ballerina dropping,” but that’s not why teams covet him.

“He knows how to bend underneath people and flatten and get to the quarterback, that’s what he knows how to do,” the executive said. “That’s a God-given ability. Nobody really taught him that.”

Graham said last week he visited or had private workouts with the Falcons, Titans and Jaguars, all 4-3 teams, and 3-4 teams the Jets and Patriots. The NFL front-office man said he wouldn’t worry about playing Graham in either system.

“I think No. 1 he’s a football player,” the executive said. “No. 2, he’s a great pass rusher. And No. 3, I don’t know if he can play linebacker, your guess is as good as mine, but he has some tangible assets that we’ve seen and he’s been very productive.

“So I think whatever team takes him, I think he’ll work out. Now will he have some downs before he ends up? Sure, they all do. But when he’s on an edge, boy, he’s a (monster).”

I'm not sure if you are trolling or being serious, but have you seen anything of Brandon Graham that makes you think he can play outside LB in the NFL....I don't give two shits what a pre draft article said...the dude is too stiff to play OLB....Vern Gholston was supposed to be able to play OLB in the 3-4 pre NFL draft too and went fifth because of that but was a POS when they tried it...that's meaningless and I'm pretty sure you know it and are just trolling.

Word is Lovie Smith is gonna sit out the year and wait for a HC gig in 2014 as opposed to taking a DC job his year

Smart move in many ways, really. Lovie should be a HC. Time away may give him time to look at OCs and figure out where his ideas there went wrong.

Also, no offense, but why the hell would you take Alex Smith over Nick Foles?

Foles is taller and five years younger than Smith. Foles has barely begun his development process, Smith is at best near his ceiling if not at it.

Is it a certainty that Vick is gone from Philly? I've said all along (in this thread more than once), that Vick would stay in Philly if Chip became the coach. Still think that's the case, unless it's already known for 100% certainty that he's gone.

they could retain vick, but i dont think anybody wants that, and he would be a big cap hit.

Anybody but Chip Kelly that is. Philly always had the most talent, and best fits for Chip's system. That shouldn't change just because they would have to pay Vick a shit-ton of money. My guess is that Vick is running that offense next year, or I don't think Chip even goes to Philly. I certainly could be wrong, but I've been saying it all along so I'm sticking to my guns.

Well, think about it. If in the first interview Kelly talked a lot how he could use a guy like Vick in a pro version of his offense. At which point the Birds said, 'yeah, he's probably not coming back because he'd cost too much for the 10 games a year we're going to get from him due to injury.' Then Kelly cools off.

Fast forward to when talks start back up again and the Birds offer up that they're open to keeping Vick.

I'm not saying it happened, but I don't think the scenario is that far fetched.

lol yeah joe, chip kelly said i need MIKE VICK or i am not coming.. lol has anyone watched vick play?

Watched him play when though? In 2010 when he was an MVP candidate, or this year when he had 1 legitimate offensive linemen on his team? I'm not saying he played well this year at all, but it certainly wasn't all on him.

Do you really think Kelly took the job thinking that Nick Foles would be his QB? I'm sorry, but I don't see that as being even remotely close to being true.

Or Kelly was waiting on all offers/ teams interested etc.

Except that he specifically said he was going back to Oregon after turning down the Cleveland job. He didn't just say he wasn't going to Cleveland, he said he was going back to Oregon. Outside of the obvious (Oregon sanctions are coming), I wonder what made him change his mind. I honestly think (and have thought) that Philly was his best option because they have the best personnel for his system. Granted he did say that he wasn't necessarily going to run that offense and that he would adapt to his personnel, but in a perfect world he takes the job that allows him to run his offense.

Not sure how many guys like Clark Judge, or what anyone thinks of him, but he wrote an article today about Chip Kelly's arrival in Philly and the fact that it may give Michael Vick "new life" with the Eagles.

<map name="header_home"> <area shape="rect" coords="0,0,959,50" alt="Blog Home" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/clark-judge"> </map>

<header>Chip Kelly's arrival might give Michael Vick new life with Eagles

</header>Memo to Michael Vick: Please stand by.
The Eagles quarterback has said he wants to stay in Philadelphia, even though his erratic play of last season and his contract for next year virtually preclude it. But now he just might have that chance.
That's because the Eagles hired Chip Kelly, and Kelly's fast-paced, spread offense would seem to fit Vick -- even though his abilities aren't what they once were and his age (he turns 33 in June) works against him.
[TABLE="class: data mRight10 fLeft, width: 300"]
<tbody>[TR="class: title"]
[/TR]
[TR="class: subtitle"]
[/TR]
[TR="class: row1"]

[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Nevertheless, where once I was convinced Vick wouldn't be back with Philadelphia, now I'm not so sure.

"I think there's a chance," said a source close to the Eagles. "Now, he didn't run that offense in college, and I don't know how many more hits he can take -- especially at his age. But I think he stands a chance, given what [Kelly] does with that offense."
If Vick were to return, the first move the Eagles would have to make is to redo his contract. He's due to make $15.5 million next season, and, sorry, that's not going to happen -- especially after last year, when too many turnovers, a severe concussion and not enough big plays punctuated Vick's season.
Oh, yeah, there was also that issue of a 4-12 finish, with Vick spending all but 10 games on the sidelines.
Vick appears to be a descending player, and maybe the Eagles move on without him -- with Kelly opting for a younger quarterback. But maybe they won't, with one GM telling me that Kelly must have at least two quarterbacks ready to run his high-risk, high-reward offense.
Philadelphia has Vick, Nick Foles and Trent Edwards, and Foles last year auditioned as a future starter -- playing erratically as a rookie, with one win in his six starts. Nevertheless, there are people within the Eagles who believe he can make it as an NFL starter.
Foles is young and developing. Vick is not. Plus, he has no history of running Kelly's spread offense. But his mobility -- and the guy can still make plays on the run and dodge tacklers -- makes him an intriguing option for the new head coach ... provided, of course, that Kelly is interested.
You would think he might be, just because of Vick's skill set. But the last two seasons haven't been kind to the veteran quarterback -- with Vick throwing for 30 touchdowns and 24 interceptions, committing too many turnovers and suffering injuries that kept him sidelined nine starts.
The Eagles were 10-13 with him; they were 2-7 without.
Moreover, whereas in 2010 he was an explosive threat to flush the pocket and rip through defenses, he wasn't the past two seasons. He ran for nine touchdowns when he led the Eagles to the 2010 playoffs, but he ran for a total of two the past two seasons. He also lost five fumbles after losing one in 2010.
The biggest concern, however, is his longevity. Vick completed only one 16-game season in his 10 years of NFL service, and that was in 2006. But with Kelly introducing a wide-open offense to Philadelphia, you'd think Vick might fit -- especially with speed and productivity around him at wide receiver in Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson and at running back in LeSean McCoy and Bryce Brown.
All I know is that when Vick's future was kicked around last month, sources close to the quarterback said he wouldn't rule out Philadelphia because he wanted to see if the club would hire Chip Kelly. Well, it just did, which means we might not have seen the end of Michael Vick in Philadelphia.

Watched him play when though? In 2009 when he was an MVP candidate, or this year when he had 1 legitimate offensive linemen on his team? I'm not saying he played well this year at all, but it certainly wasn't all on him.

Do you really think Kelly took the job thinking that Nick Foles would be his QB? I'm sorry, but I don't see that as being even remotely close to being true.

Wtf get over the Nick.foles shit.. do u think he took the job cuz he has a 33 yr old qb that is.made of glass?

Yeah go back to 09. started out hot n regressed the last 7-8 games.into what he is right now.

I don't think he took the eagles job for any of their freaking qbs. I think he took the pro job cuz he wanted to see if he could win in the NFL and lurie.is a great salesman

Wtf get over the Nick.foles shit.. do u think he took the job cuz he has a 33 yr old qb that is.made of glass?

Yeah go back to 09. started out hot n regressed the last 7-8 games.into what he is right now.

I don't think he took the eagles job for any of their freaking qbs. I think he took the pro job cuz he wanted to see if he could win in the NFL and lurie.is a great salesman

I guess we shall see. You're putting the entire blame on Vick, I'm not. You don't think that 4 of his 5 starting offensive linemen going down with injuries had anything to do with his performance? Andy Reid didn't have anything to do with it either? Again, I'm not saying Vick is blameless and that he's been awesome the past season or 2, but to just completely ignore any other circumstances and put it all on Vick isn't right either.

Also, what does "get over the Nick Foles shit" mean? If Vick is gone, Foles is Chip's QB. That's all I said, and it's pretty much a fact. I'm not sure what you meant by that, but maybe others have continually brought it up and I got lumped in with them?

It's also very plausible that he took the job knowing that he has one of the few QBs in the league who can effectively run his system. He may also think that his system will keep Vick from getting injured, or taking fewer shots than he has in the past. I don't know, and neither do you. I'm simply giving my opinions on the matter and hoping to discuss it in an adult fashion.

And did anyone now read the article jump posted on chip n his O?
His qbs hardly run for many yds..

And did anyone now read the article jump posted on chip n his O?
His qbs hardly run for many yds..

But Chip's quote was something like "I need a QB who can run, not a RB who can throw." Don't know if that's really an endorsement for Vick, but he did say it.

Call me crazy, but I think Kelly runs whatever system he's going to run next year with Foles at QB and it runs just fine.

How many games it wins I have no idea, but I think Foles and Kelly will fit fine.

fully expect philly to turn on him after a 1-4 start or something

but I hope they give him at least 2 years to put in his system and get players that can play in it

Call me crazy, but I think Kelly runs whatever system he's going to run next year with Foles at QB and it runs just fine.

How many games it wins I have no idea, but I think Foles and Kelly will fit fine.

You may very well be correct. It will be interesting to see what happens, that's for sure. My money is on Mike Vick.

ya, I'm sure that's it. LMFAO

fully expect philly to turn on him after a 1-4 start or something

Um, of course. That's like fully expecting the sun to rise tomorrow.

Back