coaches decisions, just plain quitting, makes no sense

• Thread starter Thread starter dudleysdad
  • Start date Start date
D

dudleysdad

ok I watched the 2nd half of Cal/Tree last night. I had the over 30 2nd H just so you all know I am not venting over a bet. That wager pushed.
Here is the situation. Cal gets back into the game in the 3rd qu, Tree takes it back, it is a 19 pt game with 6 min and change left.

question 1. Is that lead too big to overcome? nothing strange like that ever happened??

so Cal has a 4th n 5 near midfield down 19 with 6 min n change. THEY PUNT
why????
are you telling me the coach was concerned about giving Tree a short field and the final score looking worse? 19 loss?? 26 pt loss? still u got beat down
You have a top 10 pick QB and you dont try to move the chains there??
So they punt, 3 n out from Tree and Cal starts flinging it around.. They score. Go for 2 and miss.. down 12 with 1:30 left

question 2. is that lead too big? no team ever got lucky enough and got two late td's to shock the world??
Cal kicks deep, game over

I dont understand lol

ok I watched the 2nd half of Cal/Tree last night. I had the over 30 2nd H just so you all know I am not venting over a bet. That wager pushed.
Here is the situation. Cal gets back into the game in the 3rd qu, Tree takes it back, it is a 19 pt game with 6 min and change left.

question 1. Is that lead too big to overcome? nothing strange like that ever happened??

so Cal has a 4th n 5 near midfield down 19 with 6 min n change. THEY PUNT
why????
are you telling me the coach was concerned about giving Tree a short field and the final score looking worse? 19 loss?? 26 pt loss? still u got beat down
You have a top 10 pick QB and you dont try to move the chains there??
So they punt, 3 n out from Tree and Cal starts flinging it around.. They score. Go for 2 and miss.. down 12 with 1:30 left

question 2. is that lead too big? no team ever got lucky enough and got two late td's to shock the world??
Cal kicks deep, game over

I dont understand lol

i dont get it either, some good points you make. It happens every week that teams play like this

Was following the game on a ticker while watching tv with the wife -- I couldn't believe it when Cal punted and kicked it away in all those situations.

You said it yourself, coaches would rather lose by less...

Job security, in some shape or form.

I had Cal +10. But sometimes the other team helps you out. Punts are muffed all the time. And look at UNC blowing a 14-point lead with two fumbles in the last 5 minutes.

I bet not a nickel in a long time but still watch games with gamblers eye.

The penn st coach down 8 with 8 to go kicking an 18yd FG fits into the same chicken shit decision making mold.

These coaches heat of battle strategy is boiler plate industry standard vomit.

Yet they sure make a nice living!

Brassknux and Kyle saw Hackenberg run off the field after the 3rd-down play so that Franklin really had no choice.

Not sure why he couldn't call a timeout to try to find the QB, but maybe those guys can explain.

Not only did N Carolina blow the lead with stupid play, Fedora proved once again he is the dumbest coach on college football.

Game tied, N Carolina has the ball on about their on 30, fourth down, about 35 seconds left. Beamer has no timeouts so he can't call a timeout to force N Carolina to punt. All N Carolina has to do is stand there and let the clock run out and go to overtime.

So Fedora calls timeout. He made sure his team had to punt against a team that has blocked as many of them as any team and that after the punt there would enough time for a play or or two by VT. Hard to believe.

Same shit in the NFL - see Bills tonight. 3rd and inches near midfield. Rather than run a QB sneak lets give the ball to our power back and have him run parallel to the line of scrimmage against a 10 man front. So stupid.

Not only did N Carolina blow the lead with stupid play, Fedora proved once again he is the dumbest coach on college football.

Game tied, N Carolina has the ball on about their on 30, fourth down, about 35 seconds left. Beamer has no timeouts so he can't call a timeout to force N Carolina to punt. All N Carolina has to do is stand there and let the clock run out and go to overtime.

So Fedora calls timeout. He made sure his team had to punt against a team that has blocked as many of them as any team and that after the punt there would enough time for a play or or two by VT. Hard to believe.

I think the assistant coach called the TO cause fedora was shaking his head and I saw the assistant coach almost dump onto the field calling time out. He must have thought it was third.

Leach will rival any CFB coach for doing the dumbest things in late game situations....go back to their bowl game against CSU a couple years ago, their game vs. Stanford earlier this year, those are the immediate instances that come to mind.

He's a great offensive mind, but also does some of the stupidest things imaginable in-game.

As Brick Top once said, "In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, come again?"

1.) running the football up 14 with six/seven minutes to go in the 4th quarter isn't "stupid play" the fumlbes were unfortunate, no question, but not stupid. IIRC, the first fumble in the 4th quarter clearly showed 'Quise's elbow on the ground before the fumble occurred, but the ruling was fumble prior to replay and too close to overturn in the eyes of the damn booth.

2.) The Hat did not call the timeout. The assistant did. Dumb TO? Absolutely. But, again, Fedora did not call it as you stated.

3.) Just because a lazy announcer brings up "Beamer Ball" doesn't mean it still exists. But I can understand someone living three time zones away (you) still believing it does as you watch it because you don't know better. Beamer Ball hasn't existed in ten years. Tech had no more of a better opportunity to block that punt than me, you and nine other guys did.

Be pissed off all you like, but just get the facts straight is all.

Back