Cleveland Browns

Kid's cost himself a hell of a lot of money, wonder if he can keep it clean for a year and play in 2016. Have to think he's done in Cleveland, although the team doesn't really gain anything from cutting him. Peace of mind, maybe.

He's clearly a jackass, but I feel a little bad for him. He hasn't really gotten himself into any jackpots, just a million little things in a row.

what is an average car salesman's salary?

Well...I made 30k last year.......................................per month LOL

On a serious note: Gordons brother died at 42 because of similar addictions. Its a family issue.

He's gone from Cleveland.,

I doubt the owners randomly get drug tested.

They may not follow through on it, but the question was whether he is subject to the same guidelines. I was also referring more to him having to abstain from drinking though....but again, maybe they aren't testing him as an owner the same way they do for a player....the NFL is a horribly run organization who makes their billions in spite of themselves, so it wouldn't be surprising to hear they have all different sets of rules for owners vs players.

<section name="e1e6" style="position: relative; clear: both; color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8); font-family: freight-text-pro, Georgia, Cambria, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 22px; letter-spacing: 0.159999996423721px; line-height: 33px;">Dear Sir Charles, Stephen A., Cris and other interested parties,
Thank you for your recent outpouring of concern about my well being. In what has been a difficult time for my family, friends and fans, you — and those like you — have taken it upon yourselves to express just how much you care about me and my future. For that, I am truly appreciative.
<figure name="594c" id="594c" class="graf--figure graf--iframe" style="margin: 0px 0px 30px; position: relative; clear: both; outline: none; box-sizing: border-box;"><iframe width="500" height="250" src="https://medium.com/media/cc427261edfbab2dc17445b069848bc6?maxWidth=700" data-media-id="cc427261edfbab2dc17445b069848bc6" frameborder="0" style="display: block; margin: auto; max-width: 100%; box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-transform: translateZ(0px); transform: translateZ(0px); height: 451px;"></iframe>
</figure>
The thing is, though, you don’t even know me.
Chuck, you have never so much as shook my hand, let alone exchanged a single word with me. Few of you have, to be honest. Respectfully, your worry over my “problems” with substance abuse and my twisting descent into darkness and, apparently, my impending death, is misplaced — mostly because you have very little idea what you are talking about. None of you do, even those of you who seem curiously obsessed with the goings-on in my life:
<figure name="76a3" id="76a3" class="graf--figure graf--iframe" style="margin: 0px 0px 30px; position: relative; clear: both; outline: none; box-sizing: border-box;"><iframe data-width="854" data-height="480" width="700" height="393" src="https://medium.com/media/60fe05f99ed8c1630116f23066d712b0?maxWidth=700" data-media-id="60fe05f99ed8c1630116f23066d712b0" frameborder="0" style="display: block; margin: auto; max-width: 100%; box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-transform: translateZ(0px); transform: translateZ(0px);"></iframe>
</figure>You’re done with me, Stephen A.? That presumes we ever actually got started. How, exactly, can you be “done” with someone you have never had a meaningful conversation with beyond a quick First Take spot? Regardless, I am relieved that you no longer need to harbor sympathy for me — mostly because I never asked for it, never wanted it, and certainly never needed it. I am not a victim here; I never claimed to be one, either.
And Cris, your level of interest in my life is even more puzzling, especially considering we have never met, either.
<figure name="8601" id="8601" class="graf--figure graf--iframe" style="margin: 0px 0px 30px; position: relative; clear: both; outline: none; box-sizing: border-box;"><iframe width="500" height="250" src="https://medium.com/media/440b459eb9565e3112d1b0a94d6d486d?maxWidth=700" data-media-id="440b459eb9565e3112d1b0a94d6d486d" frameborder="0" style="display: block; margin: auto; max-width: 100%; box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-transform: translateZ(0px); transform: translateZ(0px); height: 232px;"></iframe>
</figure>In addition to being concerned about me — like when you publicly called for the Browns cut me so I could learn the same lessons you learned — you also stated as fact that “we are dealing with addiction here.” Know this: We are not dealing with anything, Cris. We are not the same. Not at all.
So, in the interest of lifting the heavy burden of my welfare off your collective consciences, I’d like to set the record straight about a few things.

</section><section name="b91a" style="position: relative; clear: both; color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8); font-family: freight-text-pro, Georgia, Cambria, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 22px; letter-spacing: 0.159999996423721px; line-height: 33px;">
First, words cannot express the remorse and regret I feel over this latest incident. I acknowledge that the repeated transgressions that have led up to this point have damaged my credibility, and for that, the only person to blame is me.
I have let down many in Cleveland — my Browns teammates, our hard-working coaching staff, the team’s ownership, and the loyal fan base that wants nothing more than to win. Playing there is different than in many other cities. We feel the fans’ pain. We know how important this is to them.
Also, I have disappointed the family and close friends who have always stood by me — no matter how tough things have been at certain points in my life. Believe me, there have been more dark days than I care to remember.
Most importantly, I have failed myself. Again.
I failed myself when started using marijuana regularly as a young teenager. I failed myself when I ruined a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be Robert Griffin III’s running mate during his Heisman Trophy-winning season at Baylor. I failed myself when I didn’t check with the league office to ensure that my doctor-prescribed, codeine-based medicine was allowed under NFL guidelines. I failed myself when I was arrested for driving a motor vehicle with a blood-alcohol level over the legal limit. I failed myself when I missed a team walkthrough late in the season and was suspended for the final game of the year.
But you know what, Charles, Stephen A., Cris and everyone else? I also have succeeded.
I succeeded by escaping a youth riddled with poverty, gang violence and very little in the way of guidance or support. I succeeded by narrowly avoiding a life of crime that managed to sink its clutches into almost all of my childhood friends. I succeeded by working tremendously hard on my craft and my body to even have a chance to play professional football for a living. And, contrary to popular belief, I succeeded by overcoming my longstanding relationship with weed — because I knew I was risking my future over it.
Truth is, I have not smoked marijuana since before I was drafted by the Browns in 2012 — and there are years’ worth of drug tests to prove it.
So, then how did I get here, you ask? That’s easy. I messed up. But to even begin to understand why I messed up, you need to know the Josh Gordon that existed before the NFL.

<figure name="85b3" id="85b3" class="graf--figure postField--fillWidthImage" style="margin: 80px 0px; position: relative; clear: both; outline: none; box-sizing: border-box;">
1*es_cFvv1L-oopJEd6s3ZEQ.jpeg

<figcaption class="imageCaption" style="position: relative; left: 0px; width: 1020px; top: 0px; text-align: center; margin: 10px auto 0px; letter-spacing: 0.01rem; font-style: italic; font-size: 14px; line-height: 1.4; color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6); outline: 0px; z-index: 300; padding-bottom: 10px; max-width: 1020px;">(AP)</figcaption></figure>
I don’t speak of it often, and even less so publicly, but I faced a fair amount of hardship growing up. My father was pretty much out of the picture, which left my mom to fend for herself with three sons at home. She did the best she could, but there were large stretches of time as an adolescent when I was completely alone — with no supervision, no one to guide me, and no one to keep me in line.
We lived in a poor section of Houston called Fondren, and to say it was a rough place would be putting it lightly. The other kids in the neighborhood weren’t well off, either, but it always felt like we had even less to our name. We moved at least seven times, and things were so bad sometimes, there were days I would come home from school and there would be no electricity, heat or hot water.
Over time, particularly after my older brothers moved out, I started hanging out with the wrong kind of people. The kind who would think nothing not only of carrying guns, but using them. Back then, smoking marijuana wasn’t an addiction for any of us — we were still boys, basically. It was just what everyone did. It was everywhere, just like alcohol was.
So Charles, Stephen A., Cris — you judge me now, but what if you came from where I come from? Heck, maybe you did experience similar upbringings, but I wouldn’t know, because I do not know you. Each of you have dealt with more than your fair shares of self-inflicted controversies, though, that I do know.
Again, I make no excuses for my past. That culture didn’t make me do anything I didn’t want to do, but when you judge me without actually knowing me, you deny the existence of the world I come from.
Later, when I went to college, it was like a dream come true, but in retrospect, I wasn’t ready for it. I had to have that opportunity taken away from me before I could really look within myself and decide what I wanted for my future. Was I going to continue to break rules to get high, or was I going to get straight and make the most of my God-given talents?
I made my choice when it came to the NFL, and I haven’t wavered.

</section><section name="945e" style="position: relative; clear: both; color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8); font-family: freight-text-pro, Georgia, Cambria, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 22px; letter-spacing: 0.159999996423721px; line-height: 33px;">
Now, I messed up again. It happened about four weeks ago.
As most everyone knows, I missed a considerable portion of the 2014 season because I was suspended by the league. The details in relation to my reinstatement, however, are important to understand.
In connection with the DWI case, the league — in consideration of the fact that my blood-alcohol level was just .01 over the legal limit — agreed to shorten my punishment from four games lost to two. These games were tacked on to my eight-game suspension that had been levied on account of my inadvertently inhaling second-hand marijuana smoke last offseason.
That punishment — while harsh, given what my lab results clearly showed, including a backup sample that was under the league threshold — was just. I foolishly put myself in a precarious situation, one which I could have easily avoided if I had thought more clearly about the potential ramifications of my actions and who I chose to spend time around.
As a strict condition to my reinstatement in Week 12, I had to agree not only to abstain from drinking for the rest of the season, but also to submit to an alcohol screen as part of my in-season drug testing under the league’s substance-abuse protocol. Did I think that was excessive given I had never had any issue whatsoever with alcohol? Yes. Did I think it was hypocritical that a professional league making hundreds of millions of dollars off beer sponsorships was telling me not to drink? Yes. Did I so much as blink at the condition? No.
My primary concern was — and is — being the best football player I can be; I really didn’t even view it as much of a punishment or sacrifice.
<figure name="2c3d" id="2c3d" class="graf--figure postField--fillWidthImage" style="margin: 80px 0px; position: relative; clear: both; outline: none; box-sizing: border-box;">
1*WQNRTQ35bRpomllWf9Zo7g.jpeg

</figure>
On Jan. 2 of this year, just days after our season ended earlier than we all had hoped — and yes, my actions during the prior offseason definitely contributed to our failure to make the playoffs; it killed me seeing our guys fight so hard when I wasn’t out there with them — I boarded a private flight to Las Vegas with several teammates. During the flight, I had two beers and two drinks. It was the first time I had consumed so much as a drop of alcohol since July 4, 2014, the day of the DWI.
Anyone who knows me knows that I am not much of a drinker. Even calling me a social drinker would be an exaggeration, but at that moment, on that flight, I made a choice. The wrong choice, as it turned out.
Upon landing, I received the all-too-familiar notice by phone that I was to report to a testing location within four hours. I failed the test, obviously, and the rest is history … colored by media speculation and faux outrage.
In the end, of course, I failed myself.
It doesn’t matter if I thought that the league-imposed restriction on drinking had expired at the end of the regular season; what matters is that I didn’t confirm whether or not that was the case. Now, that oversight has further jeopardized my relationship with my team and our fans, my reputation, and maybe even my career.

</section><section name="fa59" class=" section--last" style="padding-bottom: 5px; position: relative; clear: both; color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8); font-family: freight-text-pro, Georgia, Cambria, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif; font-size: 22px; letter-spacing: 0.159999996423721px; line-height: 33px;">
So that’s it, Charles & Co.
These are the actual facts surrounding my situation, and these are my words. What comes next is uncertain. I haven’t decided whether to appeal the latest suspension. That’s a matter for my agent and me to discuss.
To those of you who traffic in lies and innuendo over fact, with seemingly no consequences for your actions …
<figure name="7d9d" id="7d9d" class="graf--figure graf--iframe" style="margin: 0px 0px 30px; position: relative; clear: both; outline: none; box-sizing: border-box;"><iframe width="500" height="250" src="https://medium.com/media/a1a955f50ea91da724428c3ad3347b56?maxWidth=700" data-media-id="a1a955f50ea91da724428c3ad3347b56" frameborder="0" style="display: block; margin: auto; max-width: 100%; box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-transform: translateZ(0px); transform: translateZ(0px); height: 208px;"></iframe>
</figure>I really don’t know how you get away with it.
What I do know is the following: I am not a drug addict; I am not an alcoholic; I am not someone who deserves to be dissected and analyzed like some tragic example of everything that can possibly go wrong for a professional athlete. And … I am not going to die on account of the troubled state you wrongly believe my life to be in. I am a human being, with feelings and emotions and scars and flaws, just like anyone else. I make mistakes — I have made a lot of mistakes — but I am a good person, and I will persevere.
If I have a “problem,” it is that I am only 23 years old — with a lot left to learn. I’ve come a long way from those mean Fondren streets, but it’s clear that I can be a better me — one who kids coming up to me for selfies and autographs can be proud of. I want that future for myself. And I truly believe that what I am going through right now will only make me stronger. I believe that my future is bright.
If you see me someday, Chuck, Stephen A., Cris, or any other well-intentioned person to whom this letter is directed, please come on over, shake my hand, and say hello. I won’t be holding a grudge, but I will expect you to admit you were wrong about me.
Sincerely,
Josh Gordon, No. 12

</section>

First off I think he's full of shit. You don't fail a drug screen because of second hand smoke. You just don't.

Second off I dont believe for one second that the first time he drink since the last time he got busted just so happened to be the day they tested him.

However, this is a great PR move

First off I think he's full of shit. You don't fail a drug screen because of second hand smoke. You just don't.

Second off I dont believe for one second that the first time he drink since the last time he got busted just so happened to be the day they tested him.

spot on

The first step in addressing a problem is admitting you have one. He doesn't think he has one unfortunately.

you absolutely sure on this?

This guy's so full of shit the birds wouldn't eat him. Guy's failed a piss test every year since a couple colleges ago. I feel bad for the guy, but no one is this unlucky.

with the levels that the NFL was testing you absolutely could...

and don't forget the fact that we took another sample as a backup and that one tested just below the threshold.... what's that tell you about the test?

Gordon's A-Sample was slightly above the league's THC threshold of 15 ng/mL – while still within the false-positive window – and his B-Sample was slightly below it. Swap the labels, test the B-Sample first, and Josh Gordon doesn't miss a single snap.

Worse for Gordon, the NFL is considering increasing the THC threshold, which is currently well below the standard of most U.S. institutions (50 ng/mL), and 10-fold lower than the threshold for the World Anti-Doping Agency, which governs the Olympics (150 ng/mL).

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...l-josh-gordons-ban-upheld-by-goodell-20140827

with the levels that the NFL was testing you absolutely could...

and don't forget the fact that we took another sample as a backup and that one tested just below the threshold.... what's that tell you about the test?

Gordon's A-Sample was slightly above the league's THC threshold of 15 ng/mL – while still within the false-positive window – and his B-Sample was slightly below it. Swap the labels, test the B-Sample first, and Josh Gordon doesn't miss a single snap.

Worse for Gordon, the NFL is considering increasing the THC threshold, which is currently well below the standard of most U.S. institutions (50 ng/mL), and 10-fold lower than the threshold for the World Anti-Doping Agency, which governs the Olympics (150 ng/mL).

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-f...l-josh-gordons-ban-upheld-by-goodell-20140827

Exactly. For a normal drug test, this may be the case (2nd hand smoke won't cause a positive test), but at the levels the NFL allows, it certainly IS possible. When that excuse is used, the person doing the testing knows whether or not the person is full of shit (based on the levels), and they almost always are....but, the NFL's acceptable levels are so low that 2nd hand smoke could have actually caused a false positive.

highly unlikely, but it's possible. Seriously doubt his story would fit this criteria.

http://www.hightimes.com/read/can-second-hand-weed-smoke-cause-you-fail-drug-test

It's not highly unlikely though with the threshold the NFL has set. In the article you posted, it even mentions levels that can be seen from 2nd hand smoke....and those levels are ABOVE what the NFL allows.

Not trying to be a dick, but did you even read the article? It says 20ng/mL was seen in those around 2nd hand smoke...and the NFL threshold is 15ng/mL. What are you seriously doubting? What he said is completely plausible.

I'm not even saying Gordon is telling the truth, but what he said about 2nd hand smoke is certainly very possible at the levels the NFL has set as a threshold. Of course, Gordon is guilty in the eyes of the public, regardless of the facts, and people want to make assumptions about things they have no idea about and won't bother to actually research. That whole "Salem" mentality that we see every single fucking time something happens now in this country.

Guy rivals my son in lame excuses. The one that flies under the radar is being pulled over in Cleveland with a car full of buddies with pot, think it was prior to the DUI in NC but who can keep this guy's hiccups straight. Don't think he got in any trouble for that one, but it was while the NFL was still weighing the length of his suspension. I can't imagine Josh in a car full of guys smoking pot, declining the pipe, saying, "Not me, man, you know I'm on probation. I'm going to play it straight, you guys can party."

It's not highly unlikely though with the threshold the NFL has set. In the article you posted, it even mentions levels that can be seen from 2nd hand smoke....and those levels are ABOVE what the NFL allows.

Not trying to be a dick, but did you even read the article? It says 20ng/mL was seen in those around 2nd hand smoke...and the NFL threshold is 15ng/mL. What are you seriously doubting? What he said is completely plausible.

I'm not even saying Gordon is telling the truth, but what he said about 2nd hand smoke is certainly very possible at the levels the NFL has set as a threshold. Of course, Gordon is guilty in the eyes of the public, regardless of the facts, and people want to make assumptions about things they have no idea about and won't bother to actually research. That whole "Salem" mentality that we see every single fucking time something happens now in this country.

i don't think you're being a dick for disagreeing with my opinion, and yes i read the article/study. In his words, he inadvertently inhaled second hand smoke. According to the study, the subjects were in a SEALED CHAMBER with little to no ventilation and tested positive for 2 -22hrs at the 20ng/level. So if the NFL 's level is 15, bump the time frame another 25%. I guess what i am saying his the odds of him being around smokers in the type of environment that was used in the study (hanging out with the bubble boy), and the timing being that close, is not believable to me. I'd certainly bet against his story if i could, but i'm wrong a lot. so....

another article with better info. It appears the initial test is 20ng and the back up is 15ng if i am reading it correctly. His first positive was 38ng fwiw

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/07/post_186.html

King brought up something about Manziel whether this was actually the league steeping in forcing him to go into rehab( like favre) or his decision .

Through his spokesman, Josh Gordon, Johnny Manziel stated..."I haven't had a drink since the last time I had a drink"

Guy's such a clown. I'll believe a mature, hardworking, sober, learned-my-lesson Johnny Manziel when I see it. Perfect opportunity for the Browns to cut their losses. Best case scenario is sober, slow, small Manziel is a great teammate. But he'll still be waking up sober and incapable of being a pro QB. Physical limitations are a bitch.

He's not going to commit to sobriety, he should save time and go directly to the jersey signing circuit. He belongs on a metal chair signing memorabilia for strange grown men.

Physical limitations ?

Manuel is practically the exact same size as Russell Wilson.

The Manziel news caused a name to pop into my head yesterday that I haven't thought of in decades...Don Rogers.

I'm no scout, but physically Wilson appears to be bigger, little thicker, stronger, more elusive. Manziel looks like an elf out there. Small quarterbacks need to be better than Manziel if they want to overcome the perception problem, but I don't think the perception problem will ever be his problem. Can't outrun a lineman? That's his problem.

Don't get me wrong, I also think he lacks the psychological and spiritual chops.

If I can boil it down ... He sucks on all cylinders.

You pretty much know now that the owner drafted Manziel, because everyone else involved still has his job.

Have you ever seen a pro sports team have an offseason week or two like this? OC quits, citing organizational dysfunction ... Josh Gordon drunk on a plane news breaks ... Same day that breaks, team that hasn't been to the playoffs since my 16-year-old was in diapers announces hefty ticket price increase ... Ridiculous and bizarre Josh Gordon letter ... Cartoonish, talentless QB (and Josh Gordon running mate) checks into rehab to salvage image (too late) ... Josh Gordon officially suspended for one year, at least ... Day after that, news breaks that 1st-year GM Ray Ray was texting 1st-year coaching staff DURING the game, big NFL no-no for some reason, will probably cost the team a draft pick or two. Not that the Browns ever draft any good players anyway ... I almost want them to move again, but I guess I'm a masochist, plus they're so damn entertaining. Fucking Browns.

twink, I was at the Tribe team shop today, they still have your hat (with my avy). I don't think it's available on line. Remember to PM me your shipping address, your kid needs to be a Tribe fan this season.

Rumors are the browns are done with him. Cant imagine teams are lining up for Johnny F. Sunk cost, write it off and move on.

I think the Browns underestimate the groundswell of fan support if they just release him. Only hiphop nimrods want the deuchebag.

They preserved the helmet.

Who really cares, win games, beautiful unies.

I do admit, the change is underwhelming. Was looking for some metallic shit, lol.

While Manziel is physically similar to Wilson, it's not Wilsons physical talents that make him a sucessfull QB. It's his outstanding decision making. He knows when to check down, roll out, pick up extra yards, and when to get rid of the ball.

Manziel is too much of a gambler, always looking to make the big play. He will never accept what the defense gives him like Wilson.

He's not going to commit to sobriety, he should save time and go directly to the jersey signing circuit. He belongs on a metal chair signing memorabilia for strange grown men.

This was not a bad call by me, two years ago to the day. Manziel's at the Super Bowl charging $99 per autograph.

Does this make up for the time I said Brady Quinn had the "it" factor or touted Asdrubal Cabrera for MVP?

Back