Cleveland Browns

Getting a little embarrassing ... does anyone want this job?

The idea of Bess was good. The execution (namely the contract) not so much. But I imagine the thinking was a smaller, faster guy. Maybe a Welker, Amendola type guy. Put that across from Gordon and a solid TE and you have a corps that can give a team fits.

The problem being, Bess really isn't in that class and, of course, the Browns don't have a QB who can get him the ball.

But other than that, you know.

@JasonLaCanfora: Browns "mystery" candidate is Greg Schiano, former Bucs HC. Mike Pettine and Dan Quinn still in the mix, but Schiano is very much alive

As long as this had drug out I think it's obv there top candidate was still coaching last Sun and they waited on him...obv Quinn appears to be one and I think they still covet McDaniels and want to convince him to take the job..

@WillBurge: Sources confirm #Browns have chosen Pettine as next HC. Say meeting today is not interview but contract neg. If deal is reached he is coach

I can't say I know enough about him to say whether I like him, specifically, as the choice.

I will say that the process makes this franchise look like they have no fucking clue what they're doing. Which would make them just like every other front office to head up this organization, so there's that.

this is great, from pettine's daughter's twitter account

BerW_O0CEAA42-z.png

So … what did you Buffalo guys think of this Pettine guy? Or Jets guys, I guess the Buffalo guys barely knew him. I never really knew of him until this coach hunt process. After a few days of it sinking in, I kind of like him. I didn't have much of a problem with Chud's first year given the circumstances, but he and the last several Browns coaches have had the personalities of assorted houseplants. Pettine doesn't seem like a dud, and the bonus is he looks like Stone Cold Steve Austin. Hope he can coach. And hope we can find a quarterback.

do you think he'll make it to september?

Sure . He'll make it tilll 2016 at least. He gets a new qb to work with after the draft and everyone knows you gotta give the new qb at least 2 years to learn and play b4 there are results to evaluate...

Banner AND Lombardi gone with one swing of the axe? Like Christmas morning around here with this news.

Is it far flung to think that the owner, a pittsburgh guy, bought this team to make sure the steelers get at least 2 wins every year

The Lions retained Gunther as a special asst. coach or some bs. Can't believe he's back.

That report was called "completely false" and "ridiculous" (quoted from that article), and I would tend to agree that it's sounds crazy and false. Why in the world would Jim Harbaugh want to go to Cleveland to coach when he has a good thing going in SF and they've had so much success? I know it's a trade, but you would think that Harbaugh would have a say whether or not he goes, and even if he doesn't he could certainly choose to "retire" and not coach the Browns, which would negate the trade, couldn't he? I just can't see one good reason that Harbaugh would even consider leaving SF, and certainly can't fathom him agreeing to go to Cleveland of all places.

You're probably right, although the Browns didn't deny it happened, and it would have been more of a falling out with the Niners over a contract than Harbaugh seeking the Browns. Probably bullshit. My guess is Lombardi and Banner embellished whatever happened on their way out.

these guys have their agents do all the talking , so likely Harbaugh never directly talked to the Browns but his agent certainly could have/did. ( kind of like the Saban /Texas thing). This way Jim can say he never talked to the Browns, which would be true

If Cleveland offered him a shit ton of money and a lot of control Im sure it would peak any coaches interest.

It's no secret that harbaugh and the 49ers ownership haven't exactly been on the same page concerning his contract the last couple of years. didn't he turn down an extension a year or two ago?

Haslam confirmed the Browns made a run at him without going into much detail ... Doesn't sound like it got very far. Not sure I'm too crazy about the idea of swapping high picks for a coach.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T8SsCqpa-Lk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm sad to say, but you could make a video of Red Rifle just like that, and the throws would look so similar. And we're about to extend the cat.

The problem though, for as bad as bad Andy is, good Andy is good. There was no good Weeden.

Back