Cleveland Browns

ClubDirt

Pretty much a regular
for when they fire their coach in a few days

BcsQ_vmCYAAv24m.jpg

sounds like chudzinski was fired. with hoyer, weeden, campbell and trading richardson, how did this team not make the playoffs?

Not including interims, shortest tenure of any coach in Browns history. And this team's had some bad coaches.

^ Mike Polk's "letters to my student loan officer" is pretty funny too. Think there's a link to it after that video, when they do the collage of similar videos.

[video=youtube_share;wGfLFmlU8zo]http://youtu.be/wGfLFmlU8zo[/video]

I'd be careful on what you hear in the media today...front office has media ties and I'm sure are gonna rake Chud across the coals trying to sell a narrative.

am i nuts to say this is insane? what i saw was a team that played very well to start the year and a team that has a ton of very good pieces. They showed some potential, and Hoyer looked like he could be legit, then he got hurt...but the Browns are far from the first team whos season went down the shitter when a good qb got hurt.

They raped the Colts on the TRich trade, they have a legitimate stud WR, they have Haden who makes that whole pretty solid, and Lombardi is a real good GM. I don't know what they expected Chud to do given the circumstances.

Now rumblings are that the players just couldnt stand playing for him, so if that is the case then sure go ahead and get rid of the guy, but from an organizational standpoint, I don't think they are in a bad place. I think Ill have some $ on them to win their division next year at a pretty good price

Why do you think Lombardi is a "real good" GM? He hasn't done anything yet, here or anywhere. His claim to fame is he famously (famously in Cleveland anyway) ripped the Weeden pick on NFL Network when it happened. He also ripped the Josh Gordon pick in the supplemental. But this was on TV. GM's not even his title. It's my belief that Banner traded T-Rich, not Lombardi. I think Lombardi's role is to be the Mel Kiper of the Browns, a glorified scout with a voice in the war room. So he has one draft under his belt, and since they traded most of the top half away for this year, the best grade anyone can give him is an incomplete. Personally, I think he's a dolt.

we'll see. i like him. think hes sharp and think he has a legit plan for the franchise. if his claim to fame is ripping the weeden pick, i guess that shows he knew what he was talking about right?

The fact that they didn't give him a chance with Hoyer starting all year is a joke. Heard something on Twitter that the front office wanted him to cut someone a few weeks ago, and he refused to.

we'll see. i like him. think hes sharp and think he has a legit plan for the franchise. if his claim to fame is ripping the weeden pick, i guess that shows he knew what he was talking about right?

You and I are agreeing an awful lot lately.

Good God, based on what?

As for Weeden, Lombardi wasn't exactly alone in calling that one a reach, and his job description was to say exciting, inflammatory things on television. You missed the next sentence. When Lombardi was in that job, he also said drafting Gordon in the supplemental was stupid. (Which it still may be if dude doesn't keep his nose clean in the offseason.) He's always had a hard-on for Cleveland because everyone hates him here for sandbagging Kosar in the '90's. Then, amazingly, guy's back to haunt us.

Whats the Kosar story? Im unfamiliar.

A lot of ppl ripped both of those moves, and yeah, that was his job so i wont hold that against him. I just always liked his work and think he is one of those guys who understands players value and what it takes to win in the NFL. Progressive thinker, thinks long term, wants to build a legit contender and not a team that will sneak into the playoffs and lose every year. We'll see how he works out, but i think ull be very happy with ur drafts under him

Whats the Kosar story? Im unfamiliar.

A lot of ppl ripped both of those moves, and yeah, that was his job so i wont hold that against him. I just always liked his work and think he is one of those guys who understands players value and what it takes to win in the NFL. Progressive thinker, thinks long term, wants to build a legit contender and not a team that will sneak into the playoffs and lose every year. We'll see how he works out, but i think ull be very happy with ur drafts under him

To understand the Lombardi-Kosar story, you have to go back and understand the Cleveland-Kosar story, pre-Lombardi. The Browns, other than a year-and-a-half or so of the Kardiac Kids and Brian Sipe around 1980, had sucked since 1964 at basically the level they suck now. Boardman's own Bernie Kosar, SI cover boy, best quarterback in college football, WANTED to play here and positioned himself in a jerry-rigged supplemental draft to land in Cleveland. That alone won the town over. Then the Browns were good. They started beating Pittsburgh, winning in Three Rivers where they had NEVER won before. High-scoring, exciting, winning football. The Kosar era Browns did everything but get to the Super Bowl, kept losing to Elway's Broncos as NFL Films likes to remind us on a weekly basis. Fast forward to the early '90's. Bill Belichick was cutting his teeth with the Browns in his first HC job, and with Belichick was his stooge, Mike Lombardi. Now by the time these guys hit town, Bernie was broken. Years of battering had taken their toll, he was a victim of his own immobility and a career played behind a suspect offensive line. He also never saw eye-to-eye with Belichick. In 1993, one week after Bernie and the Browns beat the Niners at home on MNF (I was there), Belichick benched Kosar during a game against the Raiders, down 13-0. Vinny Testaverde rallied the Browns to victory. Two weeks later, with the Browns still very much in contention (and with Vinny hurt, people forget), Belichick released Kosar, putting the season in the hands of QB Todd Philcox. Philcox didn't flourish. Now you have to understand the magnitude of this move. This would be like a rookie GM cutting an aging Derek Jeter when he's on the DL. Not in level of professional achievement or national stature, mind you, but locally, to this day, Bernie Kosar is Cleveland's Derek Jeter. Lombardi's role in this fiasco was to convince Art Modell that Kosar could no longer play. Legend has it he produced a Bernie Kosar lowlight film, if you will, and screened it for the owner. Lombardi burning bridges and whispering in ears behind the scenes has always been his style. Kosar's troubled life after football is well-documented, but if it says anything about the character of the men involved in this saga, Kosar and Belichick have mended ways and are now "friends", whereas Kosar can't mention Lombardi's name without a sneer. Belichick and Lombardi were right. Kosar was done, although he did win a Super Bowl ring that same year backing up Troy Aikman. But the way his time with the Browns came to an end spoke volumes about the inexperience and classlessness of the men who conspired to get rid of him.

As a sidenote, if Lombardi had anything to do with the drafts back then (I don't really think he did, think Bill called the shots), God help us because those drafts sucked.

Factory of sadness.

So true.

I know I've been MIA for 2/3s of the season, but is there any fucking person who didn't really expect this outcome when Chud was hired?

The worst part is, the coordinator jobs were good hires. Now, either Norv gets the job or the whole fucking thing gets blown up again, mostly because it's January and that's all this franchise knows how to do.

It is beyond depressing. It's getting to the level of the Cubs, where their front office barely tries hard enough to pretend to care. Because they know people will show up anyway so, really, why not just mail it in.

Jesus.

Factory of sadness.

So true.

I know I've been MIA for 2/3s of the season, but is there any fucking person who didn't really expect this outcome when Chud was hired?

The worst part is, the coordinator jobs were good hires. Now, either Norv gets the job or the whole fucking thing gets blown up again, mostly because it's January and that's all this franchise knows how to do.

It is beyond depressing. It's getting to the level of the Cubs, where their front office barely tries hard enough to pretend to care. Because they know people will show up anyway so, really, why not just mail it in.

Jesus.

Except they no longer show up, not in December.

Right. Which speaks to the bigger problem.

This franchise gets that, pretty much no matter what, fans will come for the first third of the season.

Then, when the team is 4-6, those fans will give their tickets to friends and some of them will go.

Then, when the team is 4-9 starting a backup QB, the wheels come off and nobody goes. EVERYBODY knows the cycle at this point, yet for some reason the front office—multiple fucking front offices—seem to think it's still OK to operate the franchise this way. It's amazing, you know, in the most depressing fucking way possible.

Here's how bad it is.

I see the title of the thread: "Cleveland Browns"

I move to click on the link, but before I can even open the thread, in my head all I can think of is, "This ends badly."

Oy.

will cleveland keep up the cycle by taking manziel at #4?

It certainly wouldn't surprise anyone, would it? I don't think Manziel will amount to anything in the NFL, but even if someone thinks he will...it certainly won't be with him starting as a rookie. So, even if they did draft him, they can't possibly think he can step right in and be the starter, can they?

In theory they'd let Hoyer rehab and give him a shot. The offense worked with him and they didn't fire the coordinators, just the HC—of course, we'll see how long that lasts.

But this is the problem with throwing away a HC every year with no QB, it just keeps cycling. But you should draft someone at the spot, you might as well take advantage of having Norv on staff before you fire him too.

Other than the fact that Obamacare works and that the only coach who's allowed to cheat in the NFL and get away with it is Bellicheat, these ten year olds have a point.

=}

Also, just to add to that, I may know very little, but I feel like Tressel would be a disaster in the NFL. Like the Steve Spurrier to the Redskins debacle bad, a nightmare that takes your franchise multiple seasons to recover from.

And, doesn't Trerrell Pryor already have a job? What would he do for a QB?

In theory they'd let Hoyer rehab and give him a shot. The offense worked with him and they didn't fire the coordinators, just the HC—of course, we'll see how long that lasts.

But this is the problem with throwing away a HC every year with no QB, it just keeps cycling. But you should draft someone at the spot, you might as well take advantage of having Norv on staff before you fire him too.

Almost a zero chance the new HC retains the coordinators. Plus Norv and Chud were kind of a package deal. Hoyer will probably be back, Lombardi and Banner like him, but the new coach will probably put together his own band.

Honestly, at this point, I'd be fine hiring Norv and keeping Horton on defense. The players didn't seem to have a problem with the coaches. And that defense doesn't have enough talent.

Shit, without Richardson, the offense only has two weapons now as well. So you need to get some talent no matter what. You might as well give the team another year to kind of come together before you blow it up for the third time in four years or whatever.

Is Norv a marginal head coach? Yes. Is he better than any HC the Browns have hired in the last 12 years? Yes. For fuck's sake, the guy can get you to .500 and he can coach up a QB. Nobody else you've hired in the last decade had a record of being able to do either.

Norv isn't your long term answer, but Jesus, at this point all you want is to get back to mediocrity, then threaten respectability. The bar is mind bendingly low, just clear it and we'll cut you some slack.

that fumble by richardson was the highlights of the browns' season.

I jumped off my couch and audibly thanked him for that fumble. Because I know he did it for Browns fans who bet this game.

Actually the firing was the right move. If you hire a guy to coach and he has a background as a good offensive coach and he doesnt have the capaicty to decipher what QB is the best, then he and his offensive coordinator should both be fired, Now - if the OC was trying to get Hoyer in there as the starter and the head coach made the call to use Weeden, then he was incapable in rating talent. I wouldnt want him choosing anyone in the draft as well as selecting any starters for next year.

Actually the firing was the right move. If you hire a guy to coach and he has a background as a good offensive coach and he doesnt have the capaicty to decipher what QB is the best, then he and his offensive coordinator should both be fired, Now - if the OC was trying to get Hoyer in there as the starter and the head coach made the call to use Weeden, then he was incapable in rating talent. I wouldnt want him choosing anyone in the draft as well as selecting any starters for next year.

Does it really matter? I don't think it requires this level of analysis.

Does it really matter? I don't think it requires this level of analysis.

So bitter, so awesome. Pass the booze.

:popcorn:

[h=1]Davone Bess arrested for assault[/h]
Updated: January 17, 2014, 11:42 AM ET
<cite class="source" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; font-style: normal; line-height: 14px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); display: block; overflow: hidden;">ESPN.com news services</cite>

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Davone Bess has been arrested in Florida on charges of assaulting a law enforcement officer at an airport.
Broward Sheriff's Office records show Bess, 28, was arrested early Friday after acting erratically and confronting an officer at Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport. It wasn't clear if Bess, who was released from jail at 10:35 a.m., had a lawyer.
[+] Enlarge<cite style="margin: 0px 0px 4px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; display: block; color: rgb(171, 171, 171);">AP Photo/David Richard</cite>Davone Bess had 42 catches for 362 yards and two touchdowns before missing the Browns' last two games for what the team called "personal" reasons.

A sheriff's report stated Bess seemed to be "under the influence of an unknown narcotic." It also said the receiver was "looking through" the officer as they talked.
Bess was "acting irrationally, dancing, singing with his pants repeatedly falling down," the report said.
At one point, Bess grabbed a cup of coffee that was not his and squeezed it, spraying coffee on the officer. Bess then took a "fighting stance" and the officer hit him on the leg with a baton. The report says Bess removed his shirt and stayed in the stance. He dropped to the ground when more officers arrived.
The Browns said they are "aware of the situation and currently working to gather more information."
The arrest comes one day after Bess posted a photo on his Twitter page of a small package containing what appeared to be marijuana. The photo was later deleted. The team said Thursday it was aware of the photo and would deal with the situation internally.
Bess was acquired by Cleveland via trade from the Miami Dolphins last April and given a contract extension and $5.75 million in guaranteed money. He played in the Browns' first 14 games, then was not seen with the team again. And so ended a disappointing season for Bess, who once was named the Dolphins' Man of the Year for his community work.
The Browns said Bess had "personal" reasons for missing the final two games, but shortly after he left the team a photo appeared on his Instagram account that showed him lighting what appeared to be a marijuana cigarette.
On Thursday, Bess had a tweet that also has since been removed in which he referred to African-Americans using the N-word. During the season, Bess had said there never was an appropriate time to use that word.

3 million still guaranteed on that joke of a contract too.

Wonder if the Browns can try to get out of that with all his bizarro behavior the last couple months. Guy seems like he went off the deep end. Even if they can't, drop in the bucket compared to what they're paying their merry band of former coaches and executives.

Wonder if the Browns can try to get out of that with all his bizarro behavior the last couple months. Guy seems like he went off the deep end. Even if they can't, drop in the bucket compared to what they're paying their merry band of former coaches and executives.

Possibly playing for the Browns caused this behavior thus he could ask for more in a settlement

Back