Churchill Downs - Kentucky DERBY Saturday card...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Sup fellas. Let's see if we can grind out a little profit today.

1st race - Betting the 8 horse (Catmantoo). He caught a main track at Oaklawn that was more favorable to outside stalkers and closers last time out; cutting back to a 1-turn mile. That should suit him.

Using the 1-2-6 underneath...

GL!
:cheers:

Liked the 7 in this race, but it scratched out. The 10 is the next logical choice, but offers no value at 9-to-5...

Passing the race altogether.

I'm leaning toward Z Fortune, Colonial John and Monba in that order in the 10th.

Will write more about it later. Big Brown, Court Vision, Adriano all look the part to have a shot at filling out tris and supers...

In the third, I'm a little sick. Already made a pretty big bet on Forest Vision, who was 10-to-1 in the morning (the 9 horse). Now bet down to 7-to-2...

[SIZE=-1]He lost his footing coming out of the gate over the poly, recovered nicely, came with a five wide run around the far turn and drew clear late for a sharp win against Alw-2 optional claimers. Maker has this guy real good right now and the barn is winning at a solid 31% clip on the year. Using the 8-2-6 underneath.

[/SIZE]

Like those top 3 and Court Vision.
Taking a look at Cool Coal on the rail as well...

good luck today

'an_horse'

Well... had a couple of saver tickets with the 6 on top of the 8-9 so didn't get totally carried out, but I sure coulda used the 9 on top...

Thanks fellas.

Using the 11 (Cherokee Artist) on top here. He came up just a neck shy in his debut, and staying with the Motion barn, which usually gets them going after their first start (24 percent winners with positive ROI in second starts)...

Also like the 1,8,14 underneath...

GL!

hey Rex!! I am new with this horse racing thing!! When you say 1,8,14 underneath-does that mean put the 11 with 1,8,14 and you have a superfecta? thanks

Well, had the winner and that's nice... but the 10 horse spoiled all the exotics...

Did have the double ($20) and am two legs into the Pick-3 thus far.

Biggest opinion of the day in this race coming on the 4-horse. Junior College[SIZE=-1] has been over 100 in his Beyer figures in 3 of his last 5 starts and earned a near career top over the surface here last fall when he won the Bet On Sunshine. This is his third start of this cycle and he's gonna be awfully tough today.

Using the 3 and 4 in the doubles and pick-3s. One Pick-6 ticket singled the '4', while another uses the 3 and the 4. Also like the 2 and 7 underneath...
[/SIZE]

JH - That means I used the 11 on top... and the 1,8,14 horses in all of my exacta, trifecta and superfecta bets.

a lot of times I will use 2 horses on top of those two and two other horses (four total) for the exacta - and the same four for the tri and super bets...

what ya thinking rexy for the big one today? I've got it down to 6 horses and may just play them in a tri and exacta. still doing the research and re watching old races

post 4 in this thread, Matty... those are the six I like best. I will also include Pyro in all exotics...

I am getting clobbered today. That last race; I'll never figure out how that 1-horse was able to set those fractions and hang on up front like that. Ouch.

I will sit this one out, as I like the 4-horse here (chalk). Used it in all pick-6's, pick-3's, etc.

I'm really liking as a fav either Pyro or BB...BUT I think Z Fortune, Visionaire, Gayego and Dennis of Cork could get in the money.

Rex here's Mike D's take on the Derby.

Here is my take for the Derby:

CD Race 10 Kentucky Derby G1 (6:04 et)
#6 Z Fortune 15/1
#10 Colonel John 4/1
#20 Big Brown 3/1
#4 Court Vision 20/1
#19 Gayego 15/1
#15 Adriano 30/1
#12 Smooth Air 20/1

Analysis: #6 Z Fortune is coming off a solid effort last out in the G2 Arkansas Derby and is one of just four in here that earned a triple digit Beyer in their last Derby prep. The colt bobbled slightly coming out of the gate and raced wide much of the trip, unable to get to the winner #10 Gayego. The colt won his first three starts including a G3 going a mile at Fair Grounds and appears to be heading in the right direction form wise. He has enough pedigree to get the distance. He is by Siphon, who won the '96 Hollywood Gold Cup (G1) and in '97 won the Santa Anita 'Cap (G1). His mare Fortunate Faith was a G2 winner at nine furlongs as a two year old. Asmussen figures to have learned a thing or two with Curlin, who was third in last year's Derby. Drew a better post than he did last out at Oaklawn and just needs a good trip from mid pack under Albarado. With barn having #6 Pyro in here, our top pick should get overlooked at the windows.

#10 Colonel John has not missed landing in the exacta in his six career starts and is coming off a career best when winning the Santa Anita Derby (G1) last out. The colt has raced exclusively on synthetic surfaces in his six-race career and will try the real stuff for the first time here. If his bullet work over the Churchill Downs main track on 4/27 (five furlongs in :57.4) is any indication, he can handle dirt. He is by BC Classic champ Tiznow out of the mare Sweet Damsel, who won on dirt routing twice and was a three-time turf winner. The colt is in good hands with Harty, a former top assistant to Bob Baffert. Has a good foundation as a two year old and looks primed for a good effort here in his third start as a three year old.

#20 Big Brown is trying to do something Curlin could not do last year and that's win the Derby off three career starts. He went gate to wire for a very impressive victory last out in the Florida Derby (G1). The colt draws a tough post with speed drawn just to his inside. Then last horse to win the Derby off just three career starts was Regret back in 1915. Dutrow has been showing extreme confidence in his horse this week and the colt does own the top last out speed fig. The main question mark is what price we would have to settle on to back this guy for the top spot, and its likely going to be too short.

#4 Court Vision made a good late rally to finish third last out in the Wood (G1) behind #2 Tale of Ekati. They came home slow in the stretch in the Wood and the colt got a good pace set up to check in third, beaten 1 3/4 lengths. Mott adds blinkers to the mix here and I still don't think we have seen the best out of this colt, who has hovered near the top of my Derby List most of the spring. He is going to be running late, and likely is going to be a generous price.

Wagering
WIN: #6 to win at 8/1 or better.
EX: 6,10 / 4,6,10,19,20
TRI: 6,10 / 4,6,10,20 / 4,6,9,10,12,15,16,19,20
<SCRIPT src="http://www.turfnsport.com/services/add.php" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

Here it is boyz...

Race 10
$1 Exacta, key 4/6/16 w/all
Court Vision/Z Fortune/Denis of Cork with the field

$2 Exacta Box
5/6/9/10/16/19/20
Eight Belles
Z Fortune
Pyro
Colonel John
Denis of Cork
Gayego
Big Brown

Thanks, Tim. Gotta like that he's on my 6-horse...

OK fellas...

To the 8th... The Distaff...

Finally I get a little value, as I really like the 7 here. Miraculous Miss is making her first start since last November - she took on the boys in the G1 DeFrancis Dash and she checked in third. She has run well off the bench, including winning the G3 Endine off a 4 1/2 month layoff. I am most worried about the 1, Hystericalady, who is the defending champion of this race. cuts back to seven furlongs after winning the G3 Azeri in her last start. She was a close neck loser of the BC Distaff last fall in the slop to Ginger Punch.

Using the 7 and 1 on top of the 7,1,5,3 on top of 7,1,5,3.

And the 7 across the board.

GL!

<small></small>

Question: What if a person has no clue about betting the Kentucky Derby or horse racing? I want to put something small on a horse. Obviously value would be the way to go. Any thoughts? I don't know shit about any horses too. lol

ATP: It's tough to say where the "value" lies, because there are so many different ways to handicap a horse race - particularly as one as impossible as the Kentucky Derby.

The one sporting event a year where luck is such a big part of it, I often say that my sister has as good or a better chance to win money than any Vegas wiseguy or horseman in the Derby because of the racing luck required to do well.

We could have lessons that last for weeks on end, but even knowing all of that doesn't help you in this race. Luck is the biggest factor.

If you want value, avoid Eight Belles at all costs. She's a filly and getting all of the $$$ from women - she appears to be nowhere near as good as her current 12-to-1 suggests.

Another way - check the MORNING LINE set by Mike Battaglia for the race. Anytime the odds are higher, you've got value. For example; if he makes a horse 3-to-1, and it goes off 9-to-2, then you've got value (instead of paying $8.00 to $8.80 to win, it will pay $11.00 to $11.80 to win)...

GL!

Not a big fan of this one (not like I am in the 10th, 11th or 12th)... but I've made a shitload of money in this race over the years... so... went with the '3' horse (Golden Balls)... He [SIZE=-1]made a mild late rally to finish third last out in the G2 Arcadia in his first start off nearly a year on the bench. He figures to be fitter for his second start off the layoff. I can't decide between him and the 4, Thorn Song (John R Velasquez is winning everything today and these connections are 1-for-1 thus far)...

So boxing the 3 and 4... and using the 1-3-4-5 underneath and a small 1-3-4-5-8 tri as well.

[/SIZE]

Rex - What are you thinking about the Woodford Reserve? Thorn Song set the pace early? Einstein two time grade 1 winner on grass. Anything stand out to you?

Here's how I'm betting the Derby...

Using 6 across the board (Z Fortune).

Using the 6-10 on top of the 6-10-14-4-9-15-20 on top of 6-10-14-4-9-15-20 (exactas, tris, supers)... all $1 tickets...

Out for the day.

GL fellas...

Tim, I haven't been close all day. Seems like there's a horse in every race that fucks me out of it.

Then again, I ain't been close in about 4 of the 9 races...

Derby Picks

$20 Win on the 6
$2 exacta 6,10/4,6,9,10,20
Court Vision 4 -125 vs. Visionaire 8 1.25/1

Congrats to anyone who had Big Brown, won it going away. Shame about Eight Fillies, tragic to see that happen.

My buddy won just over $27,000 today (had a future bet from January on Big Brown 150-1) and he summed it up best. The race means nothing if you're a horse fan and a philly runs as hard as Eight Belles and snaps her two front legs. Just a shame, a complete shame. I won a bit today and I don't even care, seeing Eight Belles down is just tragic and gut wrenching.

Denis of Cork came from 20th on the backstretch to finish 3rd. Look out for him at the Belmont.

Wonder if the tragedy with Eight Belles will put pressure on the triple crown tracks to switch to a synthetic surface.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1><TD align=middle width=50>Number</TD><TD align=middle>Horse Name (Jockey)</TD><TD align=right width=60>Win</TD><TD align=right width=60>Place</TD><TD align=right width=60>Show</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD align=middle>20</TD><TD>Big Brown (K. Desormeaux)</TD><TD align=right>$6.80</TD><TD align=right>$5.00</TD><TD align=right>$4.80</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD align=middle>5</TD><TD>Eight Belles (G. Saez)</TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>$10.60</TD><TD align=right>$6.40</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD align=middle>16</TD><TD>Denis of Cork (C. Borel)</TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>$11.60</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD colSpan=10>$2 Exacta (20-5): $141.60
$1 Trifecta (20-5-16): $1,722.80
$1 Superfecta (20-5-16-2): $29,368.90

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Wonder if the tragedy with Eight Belles will put pressure on the triple crown tracks to switch to a synthetic surface.

would that make much of a difference? Would the injury still have occurred on another surface?

I don't think the surface had anything to do with it, those horses are pushed to their limits and a philly like Eight Belles isn't "big enough" IMO to run that fast for that long. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was her fastest mile she's ever ran.

Eight Belles ran a helluva race coming from where she did to finish second on the final 1/4. Could've been something like a hair line fracture or stress fracture in her legs and she just pushed and pushed and pushed, answered her jock and was trying to chase down an extremely fast horse in Big Brown. Something has to give and unfortunately her legs went.

What's sad is those who follow horse racing or have been around horses know, she probably fractured them before the race was over and her breeding and spirit refused to give up. I haven't heard anything from the jock, but he must've known something was wrong towards the end of the race for her to drop that suddenly afterwards and have to be put down. At first I thought it was a heart attack, but two broken legs and where she went down means it probably happened before the finish.

sad...

Back