CFL commissioner: Canceling season most likely scenario

Pyppurs

Pretty much a regular

OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) — Canadian Football League Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said the most likely scenario is to cancel the season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Ambrosie made the admission Thursday in testimony to a House of Commons standing committee on finance. He appeared via video during a panel on arts, culture, sports and charitable organizations after news broke last week that the CFL requested up to $150 million Canadian in assistance from the federal government.

The commissioner said the league’s future is “very much in jeopardy” and that teams collectively lost about $20 million last year.

“Ours is a big brand but not a wealthy business,” Ambrosie said. “Unlike large U.S.-based leagues, our biggest source of revenue is not TV — it’s ticket sales.

“Governments coping with COVID 19 — for reasons of public health that we totally support — have made it impossible for us to do what we do. Our best-case scenario for this year is a drastically truncated season. And our most likely scenario is no season at all.”

The CFL has already canceled the start of training camps — which were scheduled to open this month — and pushed back the opening of the regular season to early July, at the earliest.

“I don’t mind telling you, this is humbling but the fact is we need your support,” Ambrosie said. “So we can be there for all the community groups that depend on us.”

Following Ambrosie’s presentation, committee members took turns taking the commissioner to task.

“Some of your comments have a lot of holes in them,” said Kevin Waugh, a former sports journalist from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. He asked if the CFL was looking for a bailout or loan?

“What we’re looking for is a partnership with government,” Ambrosie said. “Our fundamental position is that we are looking for financial support that we want to pay back to Canadians. If it’s in the form of a loan, perhaps we pay some of that loan back through programs . . . we’re really looking for a business relationship that would be good for Canadians in the long run.”

Waugh also pointed out the CFL’s three community-based franchises — the Edmonton Eskimos, Saskatchewan Roughriders and Winnipeg Blue Bombers — all turned seven-figure profits in 2018. He added the league’s six remaining franchises are privately owned by people or corporations with deep pockets.

“The fact is that in the face of essentially a zero-revenue model, all of our teams, including our community teams, are going to suffer significant losses that are going to be hard to recover from,” Ambrosie said. “The real issue is this crisis is essentially going to quadruple or more the financial losses that our teams will take in a season that could potentially be lost altogether.”

Peter Julian of New Westminster-Burnaby in British Columbia wondered why Ambrosie’s presentation didn’t include any presence by the CFL Players’ Association.

“Those are the world-class athletes, as you’ve said, that actually are the heart and soul of the CFL,” Julian said. “What would they be saying if they were before the committee? And how much of the financial support you’re requesting would be going directly to the players of the CFL?”

The CFL and its players have resumed meeting about potential contingency plans for the ’20 season after talks broke off for roughly two weeks. Ambrosie said Thursday the two sides are scheduled to gather Friday.

“As for how much will go to players, we have to work that out,” Ambrosie said. “We know, for example, our players and alumni could be a potential solution in the healing of Canada.”

Julian also questioned Ambrosie about some of the corporations and individuals involved in CFL ownership. He added at a time when many Canadians are struggling, why isn’t the league’s wealthier ownership, “stepping up to provide support for the CFL?”

“All of those groups and people you mentioned have been stepping up,” Ambrosie said. “The question really for us is how many losses can these owners take when they’ve been losing approximately in total $20 million a year?

“And there is now, of course, a dramatically accelerated level of losses that will come with a truncated season or a lost season altogether.”

Peter Fragiskatos of London North Centre in Ontario asked Ambrosie why the CFL had approached government and not banks for financial assistance.

“I think the answer lies in the fact that as a league last year we lost approximately $20 million,” Ambrosie said. “First of all some of our teams are community teams that, by virtue of their structure, can’t take on traditional commercial credit.”

Fragiskatos countered, “If banks won’t support the CFL, why should the federal government support the CFL?”

“It’s not a question of whether banks would support us,” Ambrosie said. “The issue is you’re now taking a $20 million loss and you’re almost certainly making that loss bigger in future years.”

I'm clinging to hope for a half season starting in September but it looks bleak. I've heard the league has asked each team to come up with a seating map to allow for distancing between fans but I can't see how that would work. People would be bunching to get in the gates so whats the point?

Either way, I'm not convinced the league will fold. There are some deep pocketed people that can withstand some losses. Hamilton's Bob Young is rich enough to buy the whole league. Even if it were to cease operations temporarily, there are enough people that could work to raise it from the ashes.

I've already paid for my 2020 season tickets...no idea if I'll get a refund or credit or something.

First preseason game would've been tomorrow. :( FWIW I would've had a half unit on Winnipeg and possibly the under depending on the number.

The CFL sent a letter to season ticket holders this week. Not a ton of substance but a few announcements. The 2020 Grey Cup in Sask has been moved to 2022. Hamilton will still host in 2021 as planned. If there is a season this year, the cup game will be played at the #1 seed venue. No parade, no festival, no grey cup week.

It looks like its a September start or bust. Probably 9 or 10 games with the Grey Cup being in early December. The league is examining the possibility of 1 or 2 bubble cities or playing in reg cities with no fans or limited fans, quarantining and testing players. All options seem to be on the table and decisions will be made over the coming 6 weeks.

If there is no season the future looks grim. Maybe the NFL will offer a lifeline like they did in the late nineties to keep the league afloat.

That was all very confusing, some teams are turning 7 figure profits but the league as a whole lost 20 million? Wtf?

Much of it stems from the bad ownership in Montreal. The Wetenhalls ran that franchise into the ground so badly the past few years that the fan and corporate support really dried up and then the family just gave up and turned over ownership to the league. Montreal last about $12Mil on their own. BC and Toronto lost smaller amounts and the rest of the league is generally break-even or slightly profitable.

A CFL franchise is not a money making enterprise. Most of them aim to break even on average and for owners its a hobby or labor of love.

Three of the teams (EDM, SASK & WPG) are community owned and not allowed to take on debt so if they operate this year they will either have to use their warchests or come to some arrangement with the cities. The rest of the league have owners that in a normal year are rich enough to lose a few mil and not care but in this kind of year may not be willing to take a $10M+ loss in order to play in empty stadiums. I'm still not certain this situation doesn't kill the league in the end.

Much of it stems from the bad ownership in Montreal. The Wetenhalls ran that franchise into the ground so badly the past few years that the fan and corporate support really dried up and then the family just gave up and turned over ownership to the league. Montreal last about $12Mil on their own. BC and Toronto lost smaller amounts and the rest of the league is generally break-even or slightly profitable.

A CFL franchise is not a money making enterprise. Most of them aim to break even on average and for owners its a hobby or labor of love.

Three of the teams (EDM, SASK & WPG) are community owned and not allowed to take on debt so if they operate this year they will either have to use their warchests or come to some arrangement with the cities. The rest of the league have owners that in a normal year are rich enough to lose a few mil and not care but in this kind of year may not be willing to take a $10M+ loss in order to play in empty stadiums. I'm still not certain this situation doesn't kill the league in the end.

I’ve never really watched it but I’m sure that a bummer for many, not to mention the players trying to hang on. What a round about number those teams worth?

I’ve never really watched it but I’m sure that a bummer for many, not to mention the players trying to hang on. What a round about number those teams worth?

Really depends on the team. Montreal was just bought and I haven't heard the details but I suspect it was bought for nothing or some token amount. The new owners are assuming substantial debt and the league was happy to unload the franchise. A well functioning, solvent team like Calgary? Maybe $5-10 million? I have no idea really.

I would be surprised if the nfl didnt give some sort of loan, or maybe even buy the league

They do need some kind of minor system to bring players im from, and the cfl is all that's left

I would be surprised if the nfl didnt give some sort of loan, or maybe even buy the league

They do need some kind of minor system to bring players im from, and the cfl is all that's left

Why not, they did it back in the 90s. They secretly kept the Ottawa Roughriders propped up to finish the '96 season and then signed an agreement that came with a substantial loan. There was speculation that the NFL found it useful having another operating pro football league on the continent because it aided in their defense of the anti-trust actions they were facing around that time.

Why not, they did it back in the 90s. They secretly kept the Ottawa Roughriders propped up to finish the '96 season and then signed an agreement that came with a substantial loan. There was speculation that the NFL found it useful having another operating pro football league on the continent because it aided in their defense of the anti-trust actions they were facing around that time.
Yep, and how much is it really per team to do it

I'm always dreading the media coverage if they ever buy it and change the rules to make it a true minor league

They'd never change the rules, but the old media radio guys and dave Naylor would go nuts

Yep, and how much is it really per team to do it

I'm always dreading the media coverage if they ever buy it and change the rules to make it a true minor league

They'd never change the rules, but the old media radio guys and dave Naylor would go nuts

Yeah you'd have to have all 9 owners agree to sell and I'm not sure how that works with the community owned teams. Would city counsel make that decision or would they conduct a referendum? I really have no idea.

Assuming you could get an agreement with all owners, what would the league collectively be worth? $40-50 million I would think but thats just a wild guess.

I think its more likely that the NFL just props up the league with cash or a loan. Rule changes would be a hard no from me. I'm of the opinion that the main reason the CFL has survived so long is due to its differences.

Yeah you'd have to have all 9 owners agree to sell and I'm not sure how that works with the community owned teams. Would city counsel make that decision or would they conduct a referendum? I really have no idea.

Assuming you could get an agreement with all owners, what would the league collectively be worth? $40-50 million I would think but thats just a wild guess.

I think its more likely that the NFL just props up the league with cash or a loan. Rule changes would be a hard no from me. I'm of the opinion that the main reason the CFL has survived so long is due to its differences.
I would think it would be cheaper, but do think you're right, propping it up makes way more sense

Didnt even consider the community owned teams, what a mess that could be

Agree on rules, I think if they went nfl the league goes defunct, couldn't claim to be distinctly Canadian

Rank the CFL in popularity among sports in canada for me, please.

Depends on the locale

Vancouver, Montreal, and other decent sized cities with nhl teams

Hockey
NFL
NBA
MLB
CFL
NCAA

Rest of the country bump cfl up to 3rd, if they have a cfl team and it's good go 2nd, I.e Hamilton, ottawa, winnipeg etc.

Toronto

Hockey
NBA
NFL
MLB
NCAA
CFL

Bump MLB up to 3rd if Jays are good

Saskatchewan

CFL
Family
The will to live
Nothing else

Depends on the locale

Vancouver, Montreal, and other decent sized cities with nhl teams

Hockey
NFL
NBA
MLB
CFL
NCAA

Rest of the country bump cfl up to 3rd, if they have a cfl team and it's good go 2nd, I.e Hamilton, ottawa, winnipeg etc.

Toronto

Hockey
NBA
NFL
MLB
NCAA
CFL

Bump MLB up to 3rd if Jays are good

Saskatchewan

CFL
Family
The will to live
Nothing else

Nailed it.

CFL TV regularly outdraws the NHL on TV but thats mainly because viewership is compressed into fewer games and they never overlap. The Grey Cup is still the single biggest sports ratings draw on the calander but again, single event vs 7 game series.

I was surprised to learn that in terms of merchandise sales the top three franchises in Canada are the Leafs, the Habs and the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Anyway, 2020 is officially cancelled. 2021 is going to be crazy if they can pull it off. You'll basically have 2 years of roster upheaval into one offseason. Gonna be a nightmare to handicap.

Back