CFB Week 12 (11/11-11/18) News and Picks

Morning Coffee Is Back At Full Strength But Still Slow

from Burnt Orange Nation by GhostofBigRoy
hornbullet.gif
The attrition continues.
The Longhorn football team is a group of walking wounded. Mack Brown said Wednesday that Brian Orakpo will be a game-time decision. Chip Brown broke the story ($) that Colt McCoy spent as much time in the ice tubs as Quan Cosby did last week after leaving the Tech game with an injury. It led to McCoy hesitating to take the running lanes given to him by the Baylor defense. He also absorbed a couple big hits when blitzing defenders came free through the line. Lamarr Houston left the Baylor game after aggravating an ankle injury he has played through most of the year. Adam Ulatoski injured his elbow in the game, as well, leaving after the injury, although he remained atop the depth chart at left tackle. Chykie Brown has struggled to get back to speed, while recovering slowly from his ankle injury. Now, starting center Chris Hall injured his knee in practice this week, leaving him out of action for the Kansas game and thrusting true freshman David Snow into the starting role. After Buck Burnette's dismissal last week, that leaves tight end (if you can even call him that) Greg Smith as the backup center and the only player on the team who may need two jerseys this weekend. Talk about a team in desperate need of a bye week.

hornbullet.gif
Short quarterback revenge tour continues.
Have I heard this story before anywhere? An undersized quarterback grows up in Texas loving the Longhorns, eventually leading his high school football team to an incredible amount of success, while racking up unbelievable numbers. Problem is, he's under six feet tall and the Longhorns aren't in the business of making that type of quarterback a top recruiting priority. Except it's not Chase Daniel this time, it's Todd Reesing, who grew up in the Longhorns' back yard, preceeding Garrett Gilbert there and starting the run of success at Lake Travis. Guess you were just short those NFL quarterback genes, Todd. Todd's father, Steve, sounds a little bitter about the whole process:
One of the things that was really frustrating was, after being named player of the year in the best football state in the country, Todd couldn't get looks from some of the big schools close to him. That was hard to take.
Should have married an Amazon, Steve. Seriously, dude, get over it. That's how the process works. When you're barely 5-10, you're going to end up playing for the Kansas' of the world. Tough break. Saying that the big schools should look at him because he was the player of the year is like saying that Jason White should have been a first round draft pick by the NFL because he won the Heisman Trophy. Besides, Reesing probably wouldn't have beaten out Colt McCoy had he come to Texas, anyway. As it is, he got a chance to put the Kansas football program on the college football map, however briefly, and play in a BCS game. That doesn't sound like a bad football career to me.
hornbullet.gif
Embarassment of riches.
PB has you covered on the signing of the three stud basketball players who currently make up the Longhorns' 2009 basketball recruiting class. But that's not all. The Longhorn baseball team hauled in three of the top 75 players in the country: catcher Jonathan Walsh (No. 34), pitcher/first baseman Colton Cain (No. 44), and pitcher Kiefer Nuncio (No. 75). Are you a greedy Longhorn fan left wanting more? Well, the women's basketball team is in the running to sign the numbers 2, 5, and 13 players in the country, with fifth-ranked Cokie Reed expected to sign today. Still not enough? The women's golf team signed three of the top 101 players, including Madison Pressel, the No. 34 ranked player in the country. The women's volleyball team got stronger as well, signing two of the top five players in the country, including top-ranked Bailey Webster and ShaDare McNeal. Whew. Never been a better time to be Longhorn fan.
hornbullet.gif
Into the great, white North. Well, maybe not quite the North, but it isn't expected to be in the 60's like it is in Austin. Nevertheless, the Longhorns will be in Lawrence to play the Jayhawks on Saturday, with Scipio Tex covering your Kansas scouting report needs. But first thing's first: The Kansas football team in 2008 is not a BCS-quality team. In fact, they sit at 6-4, with their best win coming over the injury-riddled Colorado Buffaloes. The Kansas offensive line has allowed 17 sacks in their six Big 12 games, while Reesing has thrown seven interceptions, equal to his total from all of last season. While injuries have slowed down the Texas defensive line, expect to see Longhorns running free in the backfield and clogging Reesing's passing lanes. Note to Steve Reesing: That's why short quarterbacks get into trouble against goods teams--they're short.
Kansas does, however, have two tall and talented receivers in 6-3, 220-pound former quarterback Kerry Meier, who has 69 catches for 794 yards on the season, as well as 6-3, 200-pound Dezmon Briscoe, who has 60 catches for 964 yards and 11 touchdowns. They also have a white running back named Jake Sharp. Don't laugh, he's actually been effective, particularly in Big 12 play, where he's averaged 108.5 yards per game and scored 10 touchdowns, along with two games of 75 or more receiving yards. The Kansas offense will probably try to run the ball early to back off the Texas pass rush, while putting pressure on the defensive backs of Texas by throwing wide receiver screens. As Scipio notes, they big a better job of that against Baylor after getting destroyed against Texas Tech. Time to keep playing it well. I'm looking at you, Deon Beasley. Time to be a man. I have to believe that Coach Boom and Duane Akina question his manhood every day in practice. If they don't, they should, considering that I don't recall ever seeing the kid interested in hitting someone.
hornbullet.gif
Sliding downhill? IT's Bill Frisbie brings up the conventional wisdom that is circulating through some quarters after the last several games that Texas has already played their best football of the season, peaking in the first half of the Missouri game. Longhorn players, apparently, aren't buying into that logic, with linebackers Roddrick Muckelroy and Rashad Bobino both looking for a complete, 60-minute effort from the football team, hopefully this weekend. I'm not buying into the conventional wisdom because the injuries are the manifestation of the physical demands of playing four intense, physical games in a month, while Greg Davis has struggled making adjustments to teams dropping more players into coverage rather than blitzing.
Davis notes that "a big part of coaching is asking your kids to do only what they can do." Certainly an obvious and elemental observation, but it raises questions about the usage of the tight end. Why did Davis leave Greg Smith in during max-protection schemes against a Tech team rushing three or four players? Especially since Smith kept getting beat. So let's look at this: Greg Smith can't pass block, can't catch, can't run, and has maybe a marginally positive impact on the running game. Why is he playing? I'm sure he's a great kid and all, but the best thing he can do is not be on the field for Texas. The Longhorns can still play great football this season on offense if Fozzy Whittaker can keep teams honest when they drop back in coverage and Davis uses the four-wide sets that directly contributed to the Longhorns playing their best football of the season. None of that should be considered anything more than glaringly obvious. Get it, Greg? Good.

It's about time San Diego State's hopelessness started paying off

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-393903540-1226613730.jpg
It's not going to be pretty, but as quickly and painlessly as you can, put yourself in San Diego State's shoes: You're 0-6 in the Mountain West. You've already lost to a I-AA team. You have no hope of a bowl game, and virtually none of finishing above last place. You've already committed to your beleaguered coach for a fourth excruciating year. Some segment of the university and community wants to drop football altogether. There is literally nothing whatsoever at stake for you Saturday against undefeated Utah -- except, of course, that half a million dollars that would come SDSU's way if the Utes qualify for a BCS game:
If the Aztecs lose against Utah, as expected, SDSU stands to get a lot more money after the season -- about a half-million dollars -- than it would with a win.
[...]
If the seventh-ranked Utes (10-0) beat SDSU (1-9) and win again next week against No. 16 Brigham Young, they likely will earn a berth in a lucrative Bowl Championship Series game, probably the Fiesta, Sugar or Orange Bowl. That means more than $9 million in additional revenue for the Mountain West Conference, which would share a big portion of that bonanza with all of its members, including SDSU. About $500,000 would go to each of the league's eight other schools, with Utah getting about $4 million.
But if SDSU, a 28-point underdog, somehow pulls off the upset, the conference likely will not earn a BCS berth or the extra money that comes with it.
The question -- perhaps for the first time in the history of San Diego State football -- is academic, because the Utes should grind the Aztecs into dust regardless of any ulterior motives on either side. "Somehow," in this case, is beyond a miracle; whether or not they "try," they're still going to lose. And when it comes, SDSU officials aren't going to secretly gloat about the inevitable humiliation like the evil owner who tried to gut and relocate the Indians in Major League. They're going to feel terrible about it. They really are.

Has the MAC eclipsed the Big 10?

from Fanblogs.com by Kevin Donahue
Michigan talk-show host Bill Simonson has thrown down the gauntlet - saying that the MAC is as good or better than the Big 10 conference.
"Ball State could be on its way to a BCS bid this year if the Cardinals win out. Western Michigan had more votes in The Associated Press Top 25 poll this week than Iowa, and the Hawkeyes just beat No. 2 Penn State. (Hey, JoePa, at least Bill Cubit and the Broncos could win in Iowa City last year). I think America sees the growth of this so-called mid-major conference into a college football machine. Central, Western and Ball state all could beat any Big Ten team this year -- that includes Ohio State and Penn State."
The MAC has four wins this season over the Big 10, including the Akron win over Michigan. And yet still... I'm not sure that the MAC has eclipsed the Big 10.
There's no question that the conference has made strides this season.
But... Ball State is an undefeated 10-0... and well out of the current BCS discussions. At a minimum that indicates that the MAC hasn't reached the level of national awareness that the Mountain West and WAC are enjoying, let alone leaving the Big 10 in its wake.
I think TheRivalry, Esq says it best:
If there was ever any question that the MAC can field top 25 teams and compete with the (upper) middle class of the Big 10, that question was answered in 2008. It remains to be seen whether the other Midwest Bowl Subdivision conference can build on this years success, but one word of simple caution to all Big 10 teams: If you see a MAC school with a spread offense and a veteran quarterback, brace yourself...​
Indeed.

Added:

Nebraska -6 (-110)

Under a TD to lame duck K State? Seriously? To a team that manhandled Kansas, which manhandled KSU? I'll take the Huskers with the Blackshirts coming back this week.

Nice on UNLV

I played action plays on them and barfalo tonight to get some pocket change..some negated by the pats

Good start to week.

What a great thread.

Like Nebraska and Texas, Oklahoma State is another one in that conference I think the line is awful short of what I imagined. Interesting to see how these play out because all three IMO are short lines.

I remember the Mangino comments those are truly hilarious. Qb Reesing being banged up not surprising, it's a chore for them to score, he efforts like crazy scrambling to find guys because it's all him and no playmakers and no protection.

Seeing Friedgen pissed off maybe mean he doesn't convey tortoise personality to his team and should be added as a play.

------Pags made some great great points in regard to Navy and how they don't get enough respect. But this is a pickem lined game, 3 points IMO is just pick a winner. Navy hasn't been getting those lines the past few years. If this is lined differently I might agree on navy side. Navy may win but A LOT of things have to go right for that one dimensional offense to score. Pags I've heard is the best on the planent and right from what I have seen I whole heartedly agree he is knowledgeable, but, the one weakness IMO is pags emphasis too much what teams have done for him in the past, crucifying teams that lose him money and unnecessarily betting teams that have won for him.

IMO there is only one side to the ND-Navy game. Either ND or no play. Navy may win but it's just my belief alot has to go right for Navy to pull it out in such a low lined game I don't see value.

o-state,

with all due respect bro, what basis do you have for making a comment like that?...have you ever read much of my stuff?...have you ever read one of my write-ups?...are you in some way insinuating that I've played on Notre Dame a whole lot in the past and that they have burned me and now I'm looking for spots to play against them?...that assumption would be false...the truth is that I haven't bet on or against Notre Dame a whole lot in the past five years...do I tend to bet teams that have a history of covering for me more so than not covering?...well, yes, wouldn't you?...or should I just bet the teams that don't seem to cover the spread?...was I stupid to continue to bet Oklahoma St. this year (because I thought they were a good team and thought they would cover the spread-not because I chose to "blindly" bet them), ultimately making my record 3-1 with them on the season, or should I have just bet them once?...just FYI, I bet against Navy two weeks ago with Temple and cashed...I have no loyalties to any teams (hell the school I graduated from doesn't have a Division One football team-just basketball and baseball), which is why I have made a profit betting college football for twenty-four straight seasons, a trend I look to continue in future seasons...next time you have a problem with the way I allegedly cap games, feel free to direct your post towards me...I'm a big boy and can handle it, but would hope next time you would have more basis for your statements...for you to comment that "there is only one side" to this game shows further ignorance on your part...I have watched every single one of both of these teams games this year and can tell you there is definite value in the Navy side...doesn't mean they will necessarily cover, but it appears to me you have a lot more football that you need to watch in years to come to see things that I see...

Last edited:
Pags didn't mean to hit a nerve bro. Don't see where the offense is taking I said your the best in the bizz and I no doubt believe my knowledge of football in experience pales in comparison to yours. This is my first SERIOUS season in betting college football. Last year I got interested 3rd game in and didn't even cap hardly just looked at the lines.

.....Pags I don't know where you do write ups at. I admit my remarks were prejudemental and assumptious and hell I don't know the truth only you do I'm just going off my personal observations from the short amount of posts I've seen you comment on games. I probably shouldn’t have said them I was writing about you and VK’s great discussion and I just blindly wrote it in thinking about the game as I figured in some small way your past success leaned you to Navy.

-----You mentioned yourself that Navy has won you a shit load of games the past few years.

do I tend to bet teams that have a history of covering for me more so than not covering?...well, yes, wouldn't you?...

Good point and your quote says we are more on the same page than not as IMO from your earlier post this is how I interpreted the majority of your reasoning on Navy. In general 99% of cappers are more likely to lay off teams that have lost for them and play teams that have won with them…..no loyalties but more related to ingraining a psychological reaction of what quality of ball club you have at covering games.

but would hope next time you would have more basis for your statements...for you to comment that "there is only one side" to this game shows further ignorance on your part......I have watched every single one of both of these teams games this year and can tell you there is definite value in the Navy side...doesn't mean they will necessarily cover, but it appears to me you have a lot more football that you need to watch in years to come to see things that I see...

Pags you made your point but then you attacked me and in all due respect I think your showing ignorance here. I prefaced IMO, which really doesn’t need to be prefaced because all of our statements here are opinions but I am not Trev Alberts. So how is me saying IMO there is only one side different then you saying Navy is in your opinion the play????? And VegasKyle said there is only one side in this game from his vantage point as well from what I recall earlier in this thread. As far as the last part I’m not sure why it was necessary to tout your experience, I’m not saying I’m a better capper than you are pags.

Pags I respect you defending yourself if you felt my comments were out of line which I see how they can be taking out of context with the way I worded it but in the end I’m really saying the obvious that 99% of cappers follow.

But I don’t appreciate you calling me out due to your own insecurity. If you have any “opinions” on my weaknesses, or suggestions on how I can improve my capping ability, I welcome them. I sincerely do hope you point at some of my flaws as a capper because it would really help me improve, especially coming from the greatest capper around, and I do sincerely believe Pags you are a great capper, because it is a fact because VK says so as do others who have been around this business a long time so I do respect your opinions.

Just bought my A&M tickets on Ebay. So long as the seller doesn't fuck me over (100% positive so should be ok), here is the view from the seats:

newdkr146.jpg

Virginia Adds TCU To Schedule...Or...TCU Adds Virginia To Schedule

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by IanFiled under: TCU, Virginia, ACC, Mountain West
598350.jpg
Yeah, which is it- bowl-ambitious BCS team deciding to add a difficult non-conf game in lieu of a Sun Belt creampuff or just the kind of game a BCS-ambitious team like TCU needs to beef up those Sagarin numbers in the event they run the table? Either way, it's something of a relief for each of these schools that they play each other in 2009- it's a considerable downshift from each team's premiere non-conference game this season- USC for Virginia, Oklahoma for TCU. And of course, it's the first time they've faced each other since the 1994 Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl. But lord knows I don't need to remind you of that fact.

Next year, the game takes place in Charlottesville as part of UVA's considerably southern OOC slate (Southern Miss, William & Mary, and um...some to-be-named MAC team), with a return date in Fort Worth in 2012. It's a good set-up for TCU, and hopefully the next Virginia coach can use the back end of this home-and-home to expand the Cavaliers' recruiting base into Texas. Groh's contract does run out in 2011, after all.

Greg Robinson Era Going Up in Smoke

from The Wiz of Odds by Jay Christensen

Check out Syracuse defensive end Mikhail Marinovich, left, and punter Niko Rechul. They're co-owners of Hollywood Hookah, a smokehouse lounge that had its grand opening Thursday night. It's doubtful that coach Greg Robinson, who is expected to be fired any day (gee, wonder why?), was on the guest list.
The 2,000-square-foot establishment, located just north of the Carrier Dome, features leather couches, wireless Internet, 42-inch flat-screen TVs — including TVs in the bathrooms — and 32 flavors of Al Fakher Shisha tobacco. Not bad for your run of the mill student-athletes.
Mikhail, the brother of Todd Marinovich, has been in the headlines before. He was arrested in March for breaking into a sports equipment room.

NBA Dancer Boy Shorts Continued...

Just the other day, we gave you the Blazer Dancers' new uniforms (boy shorts!) which turned out to be quite the hit amongst men ages, 15-99. Well after perusing the interwebs of the NBA, we noticed many other dance teams sporting these not-so-boy-like shorts and figured you needed more!

Charlotte Ladycats

Boston Celtics Dancers

Los Angeles Clippers Spirit Dancers

Miami Heat Dancers

Dallas Mavs Dancers

Sacramento Kings Dancers

Houston Rockets Power Dancers

Philadelphia Sixers Dancers

Golden State Warrior Girls

Stacy Keibler gives Meow Mix cat big boner links

November 13, 2008

If you're new here, you may want to subscribe to our RSS feed because it will save your life. Trust me, just do it.
Stacy Keibler giving a boner to the Meow Mix cat at the Think Like a Cat Game Show Premiere in Los Angeles

Gogo Whoredom: Kay Valentine

November 13, 2008

<!--content with more link-->
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Poor Old Jennifer Aniston Is Still Sexy (Vogue 12/08)

Posted on November 14th, 2008 by Manny
<!-- sphereit start --> <center></center> Jennifer Aniston lost her man to the hottest woman on the planet. On the bright side at least it was to [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Angelina [COLOR=blue ! important]Jolie[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. If I lost my girlfriend to Brad Pitt, I could probably deal with it, like what am I supposed to say, what does he have that I don’t? Bottom line is this chick needs to stop whining, it is distracting from her sexiness and she looks damn good here!
Click read more for her Vogue shoot.

<center> </center>

That led us to the Busted Coverage “2008-2009 Hottest NHL Ice Dancers,” list, an investigation into women who aren’t afraid to drop the gloves.

Timilyn: Dallas
Speechless.
Lauren: Carolina
We could only find a single photo of this chick (c’mon, Hurricanes, get your act together) but her bio caused our jaws to drop. She was named an alternate to the women’s national baseball team. BASEBALL.
And she’s blond. We’re in love.
Sam B.: Boston
No bio information and we could care less. She skates and wears those pants well.
Fasha: Boston
Maybe a little thick but this team needs an enforcer who isn’t afraid to scrap when needed.
Sage: NY Islanders
In true Long Island fashion most of the women working for the Islanders look a little to worn out. Kinda like a Jersey look going on. Sage caught our attention with the cleavage. We’re suckers for that kind of thing.
The entire team: Florida Panthers
This is the holy grail of ice dancers. It’s South Florida and women who go to the beach every single day. No tan lines here. Desi looks pretty desirable.
Candace: Atlanta
Because Atlanta needed a representative.
Laura: Anaheim
She wants to be a teacher. How sweet.
Ashley: Chicago
Cole: L.A. Kings
More of Busted Coverage’s 2008-2009 Hottest NHL Ice Dancer - Laurie

The Weekly Buzz

from Big Red Network
Texas @ Kansas » The Jayhawk's chances of beating Texas this year are pretty slim. We all know how the Kansas State Wildcats have surprised the Longhorns a couple of times in the past few years, but this KU doesn't have that explosiveness. This Longhorn punishing defensive front four has held their opponents to 86 rush yards per game while averaging over 3 sacks per game. Combined with the Colt McCoy-led offense, they have been nearly impossible to stop or even just get by without too much damage. The Texas Tech last minute win against the Longhorns coupled with the Texas Tech blowout of KU points to a sound defeat of the Jayhawks. This game won't get away like the Red Raider blowout, but there shouldn't be any doubt into the second half. Texas wins 45-30.
Texas A&M @ Baylor » This is an intriguing match up from the standpoint of the movement of both of these teams within the Big 12. The Aggies are perceived to be headed in the wrong direction in this league while the Bears appear to be poised to improve over the next few years. Baylor already gave both Nebraska and Missouri almost everything they could handle earlier this season while A&M hasn't shown signs of anything special on the field. Baylor should run all over the worst rushing defense in the Big 12, 31-27.
Nebraska @ Kansas State » With only a win against Texas A&M, the Wildcat's Big 12 play has been atrocious this year. They may still beat Iowa State, but it's not a guarantee, and they certainly are the underdogs this week against Nebraska. They will be playing against a Husker team that is finding its groove after a confidence-boosting win against Kansas. The key in this game will be the ability of our defensive front four to contain, hit, harass, and generally take down Josh Freeman. To me, the big stat is 451 yards/game. That's how much offense KSU allows opponents every game. If Nebraska's offense can pile up those numbers and contain Freeman, it would be a solid game. Huskers, 40-27.
Missouri @ Iowa State » The Tigers are playing to solidify their Big 12 Championship game spot (as long as Texas takes care of business). With the Cyclone's terrible pass defense going against the exceptional spread of Missouri, Chase Daniel and company should gouge them for big yards. The underrated rush offense of Missouri should also take to task an Iowa State team allowing 177 yards/game. Barring another “Baylor” surprise, Missouri should win this game 52-27.
Oklahoma State @ Colorado » With the Cowboy's chances at a Big 12 title game out of the picture, they should be looking to take it out on someone. Colorado only scored 28 for the third time this season, and have only scored a total of 87 points in Big 12 play this season, averaging around 14 points/game in the Big 12. While they've had a solid pass defense (top in the Big 12), they're going against a team that averages 264 yards/game on the ground. Oklahoma's going for style points to get into the best bowl game possible. They should win with ease, 45-17.

Maybe This is Why They're Blackshirts Again

from Big Red Network
We all knew coming in to the season that Nebraska's defense would be better in 2008 than it was in 2007. Part of this was the addition of Bo Pelini but the larger factor was that Nebraska simply didn't have much farther to fall after last season. Just being average would be a major improvement and by all national measures that's about where Nebraska falls: average.
That said, with memories of every Pelini defense we'd seen prior--specifically, his 2003 Nebraska squad--there was significant hope that we might see a miracle turnaround with this year's Blackshirts. Overnight, they'd become a vicious, blitzing, ball-hawking, blood-thirsting unit because those are subjective measures of desire and that's what Pelini brought, loads of "want to".
While that hasn't necessarily been the case--Nebraska ranks last in the conference in turnover margin--the Cornhuskers might be closer than you think to that ideal we all had rattling around in our heads from 2003. In fact, they might be better than you think.
In terms of yardage, Nebraska is better in every single category in 2008 compared to 2007. So far the Huskers are giving up 88.6 fewer rushing yards per game and 8.2 fewer passing yards per game for a total of 96.8 less yards per game on average. Overall, Nebraska's been about 20% better in 2008 in terms of total yards allowed, 380.0 YPG this year against 476.8 last year.
Of course, this isn't any ordinary year in the Big 12. Through 10 games this season, Big 12 offenses are averaging 472.2 total yards per game. That represents an over 7% increase in total offense from last year, up from 438.1 total yards per game in 2007.
Almost the exact same scenario presents itself in terms of scoring defense. Nebraska is allowing 29.1 points per game in 2008, hardly setting the world on fire while sitting 90th in the country and 8th in the conference. But that equals over 8 points (37.9 PPG allowed in 07), or 23%, better than the previous season. Overall, Big 12 offenses are scoring 8% more points per game in 2008, 36.13 PPG against 33.43.
Make no mistake, Nebraska isn't one of the top defensive units in the county and that's ultimately the expectation for Bo Pelini. No, the Blackshirts can barely sniff the top half of the country right now but the fact is this: This is perhaps the most difficult year in Big 12 history for a coach to come in and try to make a defensive statement.
Go back to Pelini's first year as DC at Nebraska. For that season, Big 12 offenses averaged 418.85 total yards per game and 30.9 points. Compared to this year, right off the top a 2008 Big 12 defense is giving up almost an entire touchdown drive (53.35 yards and 5.23 points) more per game than it was five years ago. Yet Nebraska under Pelini is essentially taking away a drive and a half (96.8 yards) and nearly two scores (8.8 points) from what they were allowing last year.
And this is all without the benefit of turnovers. Nebraska has won the turnover battle in all of one game this season, against New Mexico State. Imagine what they could do with a few takeaways.
For anyone who has watched Nebraska closely this year you know that the defense is improving but it's been difficult to quantify when the Huskers rank in that second tier nationally in most defensive categories. But when you take into account the strength of the Big 12 and the trend towards more prolific offenses in this conference I think you can safely say the Huskers are moving on up.

Headlinin': Miami gets back to its roots

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-469215000-1226673090.jpg
The future is now, and it looks like the past. Virginia Tech did two things really well in last Thursday's bludgeoning of Maryland -- established running back Darren Evans and installed a Wildcat-esque package for hulking tight end Greg Boone at quarterback -- and didn't come close to establishing either Thursday at Miami, where Evans had 43 yards on 17 carries (virtually none between the tackles) and Boone ran once for no gain. The final numbers look close, since Miami's offense was in a funk through the entire second and fourth quarters, but the big takeaway from the Canes' 16-14 win is the official, frightening reawakening of the Miami front seven for the foreseeable future. Most of the starters who wrapped up the Hokie offense in a little bow in the second half are still upperclassmen, but pups accounted for five of six Hurricane sacks: redshirt freshman Allen Bailey had one (the decisive fourth down takedown of Tyrod Taylor on the last meaningful snap of the game), true freshman Marcus Fortson had one, and true freshman Marcus Robinson had three, plus another tackle for loss. The leading tackler was another true freshman, Sean Spence. They're young, they're fast, and they're one North Carolina loss from the Coastal Division lead. No reason to be alarmed.
Speaking of true freshmen, the other takeaway is the catch of the year to date by Hokie noob Jarrett Boykin:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xusnc_HmR6w&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
Sean Glennon, by the way, suffered his first November defeat as a starter despite completing six of eight passes, while Tyrod Taylor, with all his "escapability," was sacked four times. Are we sure this game wasn't actually played in the Bermuda Triangle?
The worst-kept secrets. Clemson continues its coach search world tour today, when Tiger officials are expected to interview Bud Foster, longtime Virginia Tech defensive coordinator, a day after last week's interview with Lane Kiffin was splashed all over the country (Kiffin is really getting around). This just a few days after Clemson AD Terry Don Phillips was spotted in Oklahoma with a university plane, apparently to conduct an interview with Sooner defensive coordinator Brent Venables. Either the Tigers are anxious to drive down the sure-to-be sky-high salary with all the competition, or they have like a hundred leaks to plug, pronto.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-851483263-1226673141.jpg
Noles be brawlin', in detail. FSU blog I Bleed Garnet and Gold, gets a gem of an anonymous tip about Wednesday's on-campus brawl involving a fraternity and FSU players -- a bunch of wide receivers, specifically, handing tight as a position group -- and of course it's very wild. Like, chair-throwing, face-stabbing wild:
"Then yesterday at the union, a group of WR’s jumped the sigmas in the union. It turned into an all out brawl. The Sigmas were getting dragged up the stairs of Moore Auditorium and thrown through tables."
"Someone got stabbed in the face with a pencil. A girl trying to split up the fight got punched in the face and another girl was hit in the face with a chair because a Sigma threw a chair at [Cory] Surrency and he ducked. When the police split it up, the football players ran so it was only the Sigmas who told their side of the story."
Root cause: An off-campus fight last week that began -- all together now -- over a girl. The tipster also suggests both melees were started by wideout Taiwan Easterling (right, in happier times). Hope she's worth a three-game suspension and multiple assault charges, when they drop.
Quickly ... UNLV beat Wyoming Thursday night, officially escaping the Mountain West cellar for the first time in three years. . . . Michigan running back Brandon Minor is doubtful to play against Northwestern and definitely won't start. Quarterback Steven Threet won't start, either, but he will play along with Nick Sheridan. . . . USC's Ronald Johnson is looking forward to playing Stanford, mainly for the chance to see something other than a zone defense. . . . Penn State's going all Wildcat to protect Daryll Clark from unnecessary hits. . . . West Virginia's not happy about its failing grade for interviewing minority coaches during last December's coaching search. . . . And basketball stalwart UNC-Charlotte voted unanimously to start a football program to open up in I-AA by 2013 if the school can raise $45 million to hire coaches, fund scholarships and build a 12,000-seat stadium on campus.

The Original Florida State Cowgirls - Where Are They Now?

Published by J Koot at 7:27 am under Some other School, d-cups

Visited 730 times, 730 so far today

CJ Perry left Florida State and has become a successful model.
All eyes in the college football world will be on Tallahassee tomorrow as ESPN GameDay comes to town for the first time in forever.
The punchline to this joke is that the WWL isn’t there to see the Seminoles.
It’s Florida A&M day.
That’s right, FSU is being shunned in its own city for a black college with a 7-3 record. We smell an Obama twist coming in here somewhere.
Since you will not be seeing the infamous FSU Cowgirls in the front row, showing off to Corso & Co., BC figured we’d give you guys a consolation prize.
“Florida State Cowgirls -Where Are They Now?’

CJ with Jenn Sterger
CJ Perry: Model
In college I started break dancing and fell in love with the true and real hip hop culture. Currently on tour with Keri Hilson. I have also work with T.I, Rich Boy, Akon, Bow Wow and Paula Deanda. I love modeling and acting and take my career very seriously. I am very passionate about my work and I am easy to work with!
Jessica Fuqua - Shops for a living​
A brief look at her MySpace page tells us Jessica left Florida for New York City. Other than that, we’re perplexed.​
Allison Torres - Bartender​
Ms. Torres left sunny Florida for dirty New Jersey. That’s ok. Now she is able to get into Manhattan for Fleet Week and taunt the soldiers with her body.​
Jenn Sterger - Entertainer, NY Jets​
You already knew what she is up to.​
Popularity: 1% [?]

Adding:

Notre Dame -3 (-125)

Fuck. Hate paying this much juice. But this is Charlie Weis's "all-in" game. If he doesn't win this one, forget it. Nobody's going to save him. Can't lose to Navy twice in a row. Especially with Charlie's ego taking over 100% of the playcalling this week. Nobody to blame but himself if he can't do it.

Also Notre Dame has only 2 games in which it can eek out bowl eligibility this year--Navy and Syracuse. Win 1, go to a shitty bowl. Win 2, go to a slightly less shitty bowl. Win 0, and Charlie is really on the hot seat or shit canned. No excuses now.

Fucking Domers better do it at -125. Fuckers.

Pags didn't mean to hit a nerve bro. Don't see where the offense is taking I said your the best in the bizz and I no doubt believe my knowledge of football in experience pales in comparison to yours. This is my first SERIOUS season in betting college football. Last year I got interested 3rd game in and didn't even cap hardly just looked at the lines.

.....Pags I don't know where you do write ups at. I admit my remarks were prejudemental and assumptious and hell I don't know the truth only you do I'm just going off my personal observations from the short amount of posts I've seen you comment on games. I probably shouldn’t have said them I was writing about you and VK’s great discussion and I just blindly wrote it in thinking about the game as I figured in some small way your past success leaned you to Navy.

-----You mentioned yourself that Navy has won you a shit load of games the past few years.

do I tend to bet teams that have a history of covering for me more so than not covering?...well, yes, wouldn't you?...

Good point and your quote says we are more on the same page than not as IMO from your earlier post this is how I interpreted the majority of your reasoning on Navy. In general 99% of cappers are more likely to lay off teams that have lost for them and play teams that have won with them…..no loyalties but more related to ingraining a psychological reaction of what quality of ball club you have at covering games.

but would hope next time you would have more basis for your statements...for you to comment that "there is only one side" to this game shows further ignorance on your part......I have watched every single one of both of these teams games this year and can tell you there is definite value in the Navy side...doesn't mean they will necessarily cover, but it appears to me you have a lot more football that you need to watch in years to come to see things that I see...

Pags you made your point but then you attacked me and in all due respect I think your showing ignorance here. I prefaced IMO, which really doesn’t need to be prefaced because all of our statements here are opinions but I am not Trev Alberts. So how is me saying IMO there is only one side different then you saying Navy is in your opinion the play????? And VegasKyle said there is only one side in this game from his vantage point as well from what I recall earlier in this thread. As far as the last part I’m not sure why it was necessary to tout your experience, I’m not saying I’m a better capper than you are pags.

Pags I respect you defending yourself if you felt my comments were out of line which I see how they can be taking out of context with the way I worded it but in the end I’m really saying the obvious that 99% of cappers follow.

But I don’t appreciate you calling me out due to your own insecurity. If you have any “opinions” on my weaknesses, or suggestions on how I can improve my capping ability, I welcome them. I sincerely do hope you point at some of my flaws as a capper because it would really help me improve, especially coming from the greatest capper around, and I do sincerely believe Pags you are a great capper, because it is a fact because VK says so as do others who have been around this business a long time so I do respect your opinions.

rj,

apologize for detracting from your thread..the rent check is in the mail...since I don't usually have my own threads here I consider you and Kyle's threads my home away from home...hope that you don't mind...

o-state,

yes, it struck a nerve mainly because you directed the post not to me, but to others in the thread, as somehow I wasn't going to read it...that's mainly what set me off...I can't say I was pleased about your assumptions of my capping style but do appreciate your apology...understand that I have no issues with your capping style, most of what I've read from you has been pretty solid stuff...I do highly disagree with your comment about Notre Dame being the only side of the game, but I don't need to divulge into that further...if you feel that it was a personal attack for me to call your comments ignorant, then that is your right...I see it as criticism towards your opinion on a particular game, which ultimately leads me to believe you are a newer capper (which you yourself admitted and there's nothing wrong with that...it is what it is)...trust me, Kyle and I have discussed our differences in the game, both on the phone and on the net, I haven't said anything to you that I haven't said to him...I felt the need to "tout my experience" because I felt you made an assumption about my capping ability and style based on a small body of work and take my capping very personally...I haven't seen you do that with anyone else on here and took exception to the fact that you were doing so towards me...trust me that it is not a sign of "insecurity", but rather I have a right to defend myself when comments like the ones you made are made...I put a lot of time into my preparation and have had good results over the years...watching film for 12-14 hours in a day can start to drive a man nuts and I didn't mean to take it out on you...I appreciate your compliments at end of your last post, and hopefully you will come to know my work more personally as time goes on...BOL to you this weekend...

everytime I think that this thread can't get better, it does...

Foster would be a good hire at Clemson...would also expose Beamer and teh rest of the staff for what they are, barely above average...

always wondered what happened to those FSU girls...

No sweat Pags. I'm just putting up good article after good article as they come into my inbox. A few of the sites have alot of girl action in them.

NICK SABAN REALLY DOESN’T. THERES PROOF.

from Every Day Should Be Saturday by Orson Swindle
Go to about 2:50. Expect an audible “shit.” Gawk in awe.
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ka_Hcn_D4mo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
Anger come in layers. When you watch Mike Gundy get mad, there’s obvious hurt underneath the anger; you get the feeling Mike Gundy puts on anger like a dusty formal suit, trotting it out for special occasions like funerals. He gets angry on principle, not because there’s some underlying rage just seething and waiting to explode. When Dennis Green grows angry, there’s obvious frustration and confusion, but no sort of basic low-boil of anger. When Herm Edwards goes nuts…well, he’s obviously suffering from the deleterious effects of parasitic worms dining on his brain.
When Nick Saban gets angry, the air in the room grows frosty, all hope evaporates, and metal objects begin to wiggle and slide toward him. We mean this: it is one of the most frightening things we have ever seen, and we have been through an earthquake in an Asian city, a motorcycle accident, and a night out in Phnom Penh. There’s just anger there, and more anger, and if you get out the excavator and start digging, still more deep and untapped reserves of anger. If we could turn it into a form of energy, we could tell Saudi Arabia to fuck themselves five minutes after the technology was completed.
Nick Saban is Ahab. He is bottomless in his complexity and terrifying in his anger, and capable of speaking whatever language needs to be spoken to get his point across. In another age, he’d be holding onto the harpoon five hundred feet below the surface of the ocean. His ears would bleed in another hundred feet as the whale with the harpoon embedded in its hide dove deeper and deeper; the rope would bloody his already shredded hands. Soon, he’d turn inside out from the pressure. But he’d die with that fucking rope in his hands.

Infographic: What's tougher than a Keg of Nails?

They're known more as basketball schools, but in reality, cross-river rivals Louisville and Cincinnati have competed since 1929 for the most hardcore trophy in sports, the truly nasty Keg of Nails, up for grabs Saturday for the 47th time. It's a fitting tribute to the towns' blue collar ethos and dependence on the shipping channels of one of the nation's great industrial arteries. It's a tough trophy for a tough game -- but it almost went in any number of other, equally harrowing directions:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-402602306-1226689107.jpg

Torrie Wilson Is Very Fit This Sexy Friday

from Kissing Suzy Kolber by Big Daddy Drew
<center></center> See I reckon you’re about an 8 or a 9,
Maybe even 9 and a half in four beers time.
That blue top shop top you’ve got on IS nice,
Bit too much fake tan though - but yeah you score high.

But there’s just one little thing that’s really really,
Really really annoying me about you, you see,
Yeah yeah, like I said, you are really fit
But my gosh! Don’t you just know it?

<center></center> <center></center> <center></center> <center></center> <center></center> <center></center>

Morning Coffee Preps For The Weekend

from Burnt Orange Nation by PB @ BON
hornbullet.gif
Five to root for. After a wild week of playing What If, you may find yourself a little unsure what to root for this weekend. From my perspective, the more of the following that occur this weekend, the better for Texas:

1. Louisville dumps Cincinnati tonight. The Cards host the Bearcats tonight (7 p.m. CT, ESPN). A Louisville upset (Cincy is favored by 4 points) would hurt the Sooners in the computers, while a hot finish (and possible Big East championship) from the Bearcats would strengthen OU's resume. Go Cards!
  2. Texas beats Kansas by more than 14. The Sooners beat KU by 14 in Norman. It'd be nice for Texas to dump the Jayhawks in Lawrence by more than that.
  3. Florida loses to South Carolina. You could argue this the other way (hoping for a Florida buffer between Texas and OU), but I think the more exciting possibility for the Big 12 would be a two-loss Florida team winning the SEC title in Atlanta.
  4. Missouri waxes Iowa State. Texas badly needs the Tigers to close strong.
  5. Florida Atlantic upsets UL-La. If you make it to church before Sunday, say a little prayer for FAU.
hornbullet.gif
Mangino retracts claws, purrs. Kansas head coach Mark Mangino crossed Longhorns fans in 2004 when he claimed the officials gifted Vince Young and Texas a victory to help the team reach the BCS. Mangino was adament at the time, but as DC points out in this morning's Round Up, the Kansas coach now says the tirade was a tactical move to help get raise his Jayhawks up off the mat:
"It was to save the team," Mangino said this spring at a National Football Foundation forum. "I knew I was going to get criticism for it and take some bullets, but Kansas hadn’t had a winning program for many years, we were trying to get it on its feet, we were getting close but just couldn’t get it over the hump. So I took a bullet for it."
Mangino's claws are in full retract, appearing focused on avoiding bulletin board of all kind this week. On Colt McCoy and the Texas coaching staff:
"He is a quality player," Mangino said of McCoy. "He is one of the most improved quarterbacks from last year to this year.
"Whoever works with him in the offseason has done a magnificent job. He is way ahead of where he was at this time last year. He has a lot more poise, he is throwing the ball better and he is running the ball better. He seems to be in more control of the offense than I can ever remember last season."
hornbullet.gif
Show Me time for AJ Abrams. As Texas tips off the hoops season tonight, the Statesman's Mark Rosner has a long feature on AJ Abrams, who is still insisting point guard is his natural position.
"I think point guard is my natural position," Abrams said. "I can do this. I've just had a different role the last two seasons."
If it's his natural position, he hasn't shown it in three years playing for Texas, so it's Put Up or Shut Up time for the diminutive sharpshooter. Honestly, Texas will be a better basketball team if Abrams is right, so I'll root for sharp improvement in his ball handling, driving, and passing this season, but count me among the cautiously skeptical. Prove me wrong, AJ.

What a joke.

:36_11_6:

A comment under that article. Mine is very similar:

I think you need to spend a little time re-educating yourself about what betting lines are and are used for.
Here's what they're not: a prediction of the game's outcome.
So what are they? Predictions of betting habits. The goal of any sportsbook is to set the line such that 50% of the people bet on one side of it and 50% bet on the other.
If a team is hyped all to hell, they're going to get better lines. If they play nobody all year and then face real competition in their bowl game, the line is going to be drastically off (see, e.g., Hawaii last year).
Those lines could just as easily say that USC has been unbelievably hyped or has played nobody as much as it says that they'd beat any of those teams.

Posted by: Not Quite at November 14, 2008 11:41 AM

Injury report for Kansas game

from Bevo Beat
This week’s Longhorns injury report:
Center Chris Hall (left knee) is out Tight end Ian Harris (neck) is out Cornerback Aaron Williams (illness) is out Defensive tackle Lamarr Houston (right foot) is questionable Defensive end Brian Orakpo (left knee) is questionable Safety Ben Wells (back) is questionable Left tackle Adam Ulatoski (left elbow) is probable.

should this worry me RJ?

Nothing really unexpected.

My main worry is Snow starting at center with Hall out. That is my main injury concern.

Also keep in mind that Reesing has a strong limp and his strength is mobility. Without mobility, the KU OL will get killed.

GL RJ - I like your card and Tulsa and ND were two that I was mulling over. Got a little distracted tonight with the large college hoops card so I will have to finish up in the morning. I hope Texas can get some pressure on Reesing tomorrow.

GL RJ - I like your card and Tulsa and ND were two that I was mulling over. Got a little distracted tonight with the large college hoops card so I will have to finish up in the morning. I hope Texas can get some pressure on Reesing tomorrow.

Thanks, Tim.

Aggy and Okie Lite have been ones I've been mulling over and seeing Horn on them just made me pull the trigger.

Fuckin' Lakers are killing me tonight.

rj,

apologize for detracting from your thread..the rent check is in the mail...since I don't usually have my own threads here I consider you and Kyle's threads my home away from home...hope that you don't mind...

o-state,

yes, it struck a nerve mainly because you directed the post not to me, but to others in the thread, as somehow I wasn't going to read it...that's mainly what set me off...I can't say I was pleased about your assumptions of my capping style but do appreciate your apology...understand that I have no issues with your capping style, most of what I've read from you has been pretty solid stuff...I do highly disagree with your comment about Notre Dame being the only side of the game, but I don't need to divulge into that further...if you feel that it was a personal attack for me to call your comments ignorant, then that is your right...I see it as criticism towards your opinion on a particular game, which ultimately leads me to believe you are a newer capper (which you yourself admitted and there's nothing wrong with that...it is what it is)...trust me, Kyle and I have discussed our differences in the game, both on the phone and on the net, I haven't said anything to you that I haven't said to him...I felt the need to "tout my experience" because I felt you made an assumption about my capping ability and style based on a small body of work and take my capping very personally...I haven't seen you do that with anyone else on here and took exception to the fact that you were doing so towards me...trust me that it is not a sign of "insecurity", but rather I have a right to defend myself when comments like the ones you made are made...I put a lot of time into my preparation and have had good results over the years...watching film for 12-14 hours in a day can start to drive a man nuts and I didn't mean to take it out on you...I appreciate your compliments at end of your last post, and hopefully you will come to know my work more personally as time goes on...BOL to you this weekend...

Pags no hard feelings whatsoever. I was responding to some of the things RJ Esq had put in here and just rambling off the top of my head of some things I had seen in this thread and one was the discussion between you and VK so I'm not sure it was directed toward anybody it was just a rambling post of various thoughts that I didn't think through.

:shake:

Fuckin' Lakers are killing me tonight.
You and me both RJ. I am suffering through watching Iverson carve them up with penetration tonight as well. Going to call it a night and get up fresh and work the rest of the football for tomorrow. Weather is going to suck here so I don't know if I'll go to the Terp game or not. May elect for the dryer option and all day internet access. :cheers:

Back