Carolinablue Week 8 Plays

carolinablue

College Football Guru
Week 7 Results

Poor job on my part as I actually felt kinda lucky to go 3-4 in week 7, as I just didn't do a solid job on most of the plays to be honest. Eastern was a frustrating one, b/c they had their way with Army on the ground drive after drive, but kept going away from what was working plus they couldn't capitalize when inside the redzone against Army and it caused them to blow the cover when all was said and done. Tulsa was baffling, but my cover never had a shot there. Vandy showed who they really were, so I deserved to lose that one as well. Same goes for MTSU as I give congrats to FIU for proving me wrong.

Overall, still sitting on a solid 39-27 year to date (59.1%) and thankfully my money management techniques paid off big time, as I took a huge withdrawal last week like I posted, so this 3-4 didn't do me any damage really since I am only playing with "house money" at this point anyway. Still doesn't excuse the poor job I did in week 7, but that's behind me now as I look towards the week 8 card.

Overall 39-27

Road Favs 18-11
Home Favs 11-8
Road Dogs 9-6
Home Dogs 0-0
Totals 1-2

Will post em as I lock em in...

AKRON -2.5 115 (greek)
UNC -5 110 (greek)
UCONN PK 110 (greek)
ULM/NT OVER 65.5 110 (greek)
WASHINGTON ST TT OVER 6.5 (greek)

Last edited:
Solid line value on UNC in my opinion mainly due to the fact that Virginia has risen from the dead and pretty much looked unbeatable at home these past few weeks, coupled with the fact that they have won 16 of 12, 8 of 10, and 5 of 6 vs the Heels in this rivalry, and more importantly 13 in a row in Charlottesville, as my Heels haven't won there since 1981.

We went 1-3 vs UVA when I was there and over the past decade it just always seemed that UVA would find a way to win at home (or we would find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory so to speak).

This is one of the oldest rivalries in all of college football, and I expect it to be a great game on Saturday, but UVA will not get by via special teams and turnovers like they have the past few weeks, as UNC will force the Cavs to throw the ball, leading to some crucial mistakes on the way to victory.

Akron should be able to pile the yards up on the ground against the sieve like Easten defense, and more importantly, they should be able to sprinkle in some play action to cause the Eastern D fits all afternoon. This should be a shootout as Eastern will be able to score against the Zips as well, but in the end, Akron should pull away as Eastern is getting no support at all from the home crowd, and things should be even worse this weekend after that horrible performance vs Army on Saturday.

Most likely gonna round out the card with 1 or 2 Sunbelt plays and maybe a CUSA play as well. Not liking this card that much to be honest, as the lines are really tight vs variance as of right now.

Any word on Brandon Tate?

On the NBC station here in Charlotte, they said he had gotten an MRI but the results hadn't been released. I am sure the updates will be all over the sports reports on tv and radio out here tomorrow, so will try to chime in with a local take on the issue when I get home tomorrow night.

Here is more info from the evening online edition of the local paper here in Charlotte...

Brandon Tate's mom, Lesley, said Sunday afternoon that the UNC receiver was "doing good in spirit" as he prepared to have a 5 p.m. MRI on his right knee. The injury continues to be classified as a sprain, and coach Butch Davis said the team won’t announce the results until Monday.

Asked if he would contemplate moving tailback Greg Little back to wide receiver if Tate is out for any period, Davis said: “We’re going to get together as a coaching staff and talk about [a lot of things], because the potential for Brandon’s absense, there’s a lot of things besides him being a wide receiver – we’ve got to talk about punt return, kick return, so we’re going to have a pretty extensive personell meeting tonight, and contemplate what moves, if any, we need to make.

Tate, a senior who began the weekend ranked third in the nation in all-purpose yardage, was helped to the locker room with 5:40 left in the first quarter after returning a punt 9 yards. He did not return to the sideline, during then-No. 22 UNC’s 29-24 victory over Notre Dame

Without him, defensive back Johnny White joined Hakeem Nicks to return kickoffs, and cornerback Kendric Burney was on the field to return punts.
Meanwhile, Brooks Foster slid into the No. 2 receiver position, while receivers Cooter Arnold (two catches, 3 yards) and Kenton Thornton (one catch, 5 yards) tried to take up some of the slack. Nicks led all receivers with a career-high-tying nine grabs for 141 yards.

<!-- END content --><!-- BEGIN audio(s) --><!-- END audio(s) --><!-- BEGIN document(s) -->

UNC Notes

• Carolina is now 5-1, its best start to a season since it went 8-0 at the start of the 1997 season.
• Carolina improved to plus-13 in turnovers margin in its five victories and plus-11 in all six games.
• Junior wide receiver Hakeem Nicks had nine receptions for 141 yards to record his eighth career 100-yard game, which set a UNC record. He shared the mark with Octavus Barnes. Nicks, who had seven catches for 116 yards in the first half, recorded a catch for the 19th straight game and the 28th time in 29 career outings
• Sophomore tailback Shaun Draughn ran for 91 yards on 17 carries today and has 200 rushing yards in the last two games
• Sexton completed a career-high 18 passes (the 32 attempts also are a career high). His previous highs were 14 completions vs. Furman in 2006 and 28 attempts at Miami in 2008
• Carolina has 14 interceptions in six games, its highest season total since UNC had 15 pass thefts in 1997. The Tar Heels came into today's game leading the nation in interceptions under first-year defensive backs coach and coordinator Everett Withers.

Brandon Tate Update

University of North Carolina senior wide receiver/kick returner Brandon Tate injured his right knee in the first quarter of North Carolina's 29-24 win over Notre Dame and did not return. An examination by UNC Sports Medicine revealed a tear to his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL). An MRI on Sunday night confirmed that diagnosis. Tate will miss the remainder of the season and will undergo surgery at UNC Hospitals later this week.

A senior from Burlington, N.C., Tate finishes his career as the NCAA's all-time leader in combined kick return yards with 3,523 yards. At the time of his injury, Tate was leading the ACC in all-purpose yards (163.7 yds/gm). In the first six games of 2008, he had 376 receiving yards, 305 kickoff return yards, 158 punt return yards and 143 rushing yards.

Oct. 13, 2008
<!-- LINKS TO RELATED PAGES BEGIN --><!-- LINKS TO RELATED PAGES END -->

By Adam Lucas
Brandon Tate's All-America campaign was to begin on Monday.
His Carolina career ended on Saturday.

In many ways, the loss of the senior wide receiver to a torn ACL is the most disappointing Tar Heel football injury since Ronald Curry tore his Achilles. Sure, it costs the Carolina offense its most dynamic big-play threat, a key component of the unit's best position group, and a quick-strike special teams weapon. It costs Tate much more than that.

When a player suffers a critical injury, there's a tendency to view it through the prism of the team. How does this affect the depth chart? Which young players will receive more snaps? Does this change the offensive game plan?

Those are questions for the Carolina coaching staff, which spent much of Sunday debating those exact subjects. But before we move on to discover the next talented, young receiver, let's pause just a moment to recognize this: this particular setback is one of the most cruelly timed injuries imaginable. In most cases, midseason is the time of year to think only about the team. For just a few minutes, however, consider this situation from the perspective of an individual.

The senior from Burlington was having the kind of breakout season--for a breakout team--that turns unknown prospects into hot NFL Draft candidates. On Monday, the athletic department was set to roll out a brand-new "Tate in '08" national publicity push across multiple platforms. You already knew Tate the kick returner; you were about to know Tate the national superstar.
Now, he'll be in injury rehab, trying to regain the burst that made him a singular player, when other draftable receivers are working out for prospective employers. When scouts attend Tar Heel practices over the next two months, jotting down notes in their team-issued notepads, he'll be on the sidelines--or, knowing him, he'll be standing beside a young receiver, offering a tip on the best way to create separation from a defender.

Even in the afterglow of Saturday's remarkable win, Tate's teammates were already finding the right perspective.

"We lose a teammate and we lose a friend," said quarterback Cameron Sexton, who knows a little something about adversity. "First of all, we're concerned about him. Second of all, we know someone has to step up."

First of all, they're concerned about him. And they should be. Tate is a player who spent his first two seasons exclusively as a special teams player. That's two seasons given away of compiling the type of statistics and highlights that make a player move up a draft board. He never once complained publicly, never told an eager writer that he thought he deserved more touches.

You know what, though? He did deserve more touches. In years when Carolina's offense sometimes sputtered, Tate would have been a nice remedy.

Once Butch Davis and his coaching staff arrived, Tate was finally given a shot at wide receiver, and something remarkable happened--despite reports to the contrary, it turned out Tate had terrific hands. As a senior, he had evolved into more than just a fast runner who could accelerate past a diving tackler. He was a true receiver, a complete player who could make a tough catch on 3rd and 7 or stretch the defense for a big play on 1st and 10.

These words--Brandon Tate has the ball in the open field!--were the most exciting words in Carolina football. Every time he caught the ball, the entire stadium caught its breath.
That sense of anticipation is impossible to replace. But it's far from being the most excruciating part of this injury.<!-- STORY AD BEGINS HERE -->

Update on Jamie Hampton

Courtesy of the Montgomery Advertiser

TROY -- Tanner Jones or Levi Brown will start at quarterback for Troy on Saturday, but the Trojans still aren't sure which.

Offensive coordinator Neal Brown called it an "open competition" as to who will start when Troy (3-2, 2-0 Sun Belt) hosts Florida International (3-3, 2-0). Kickoff is at 6 p.m.

The Trojans lost top quarterback Jamie Hampton to a knee injury in last week's win at Florida Atlantic.

"They're both capable," Neal Brown said. "Both were in competition for the starting job in the spring. They got a lot of reps in the spring and a lot of reps in preseason camp. Once the season started, they didn't get as many."

Jones, who replaced Hampton last week, and Levi Brown have both played in two games this year.

"I feel good about both of them," Neal Brown said.

More info on Troy QB Jamie Hampton's injury - Courtesy of Montgomery Advertiser

Troy coach Larry Blakeney called the hit that ended quarterback Jamie Hampton's season shady on Wednesday.

Hampton will miss the rest of the season after tearing ligaments in his left knee during the Trojans' 30-17 win Tuesday at Florida Atlantic.

"It was very questionable as to the sportsmanship," Blakeney said.
On the next-to-last play of the third quarter, with Troy facing a second-and-four, Hampton ran over the left side of the line.

Linebacker Edward Bradwell quickly wrapped up Hampton, who admitted he continued to try to gain yardage. Bradwell and another defensive player had Hampton when lineman Robert St. Clair came in and finished the play.
Bradwell and St. Clair were credited with the tackle.

"I remember I got stood up, tried to go backwards and continue pushing upfield," Hampton said. "It seemed like someone hit me from the side, but I don't know if they hit me with their helmet, whether they meant to come in low or if they were tripped and fell."

Hampton had an MRI on Wednesday in Birmingham that confirmed the team's initial diagnosis. He said he'll meet again with Dr. Jeffrey Dugas next week to discuss surgery.

"Our guys fix those things and they're even better," Blakeney said. "It takes time to rehab those, and a lot of hard work. Jamie Hampton is a guy who is going to work hard."

Center Danny Franks also was injured just after Hampton. Blakeney said Franks suffered a right ankle sprain and could return next week.

"Hopefully, he'll be able to rehab it," Blakeney said. "They're usually pretty tough, but he's tough, too. He'll do everything he can to rehab it."

Hampton was enjoying a nice game and a promising season before his injury.
On Tuesday, the sophomore led Troy with 61 yards rushing and two touchdowns. He was 10-of-21 passing for 116 yards and an interception.

In five starts, he completed almost 62 percent of his passes for 1,046 yards. Hampton had nine touchdown passes and eight interceptions.

"It's disappointing to a certain level, but there's more to life than football," Hampton said. "I'll be all right. I have to work hard, rehab and get ready for next year."
Tanner Jones took over for Hampton. He or Levi Brown is expected to start when the Trojans (3-2, 2-0 Sun Belt) host Florida International on Oct. 18.

The players have the rest of this week off -- Hampton was headed home to Cedar Bluff and stopped in Birmingham for his MRI -- and return to practice Sunday.
Hampton said he hopes to be more than a fan for Troy's last seven regular-season games.

"I'll help them any way I can," Hampton said. "I most definitely will do anything I can for the team."

UCONN PK 110

I fully expect this one to be an ugly down and dirty type of game that will come down to two things. First, which team will win that battle at the line of scrimmage and take control of the game on the ground. Second, which team will win the turnover battle.

With that said, I like UConn in this one, as it is no secret that they are gonna run the leading rusher in the country, Donald Brown, 30+ times in this game, and I don't think the Rutgers line will be able to hold up against this barrage, especially when the game enters the late stages and those 3 and 4 yard runs turn into 6 and 7 yard gains. UConn has the #11 rushing offense in the country, and they are facing a Rutgers team that is 79th in rushing defense, giving up over 150 yards per game on the ground.

Rutgers is pretty solid against the pass, but we all know that UConn is not looking to win this game through the air. Rutgers on the other hand continues to struggle on the ground, as they can't seem to find anyone to give them that 100+ yd game on a consistent basis, and as a result, they are in the bottom 20 when it comes to rushing offense so far this year, mainly due to the fact that their OL is in disarray.

Teel hasn't made many crucial mistakes recently, but the more relevant point is the fact that he hasn't made many big plays either, and that is what will be the difference here in my opinion. Because Rutgers is basically in a do or die situation this weekend, I really see him trying to force the issue on Saturday, leading to turnovers and short fields for the Huskies. You know those guys hear the rumblings from fans and the media and they are gonna want to make big plays in front of the homecoming crowd, but that is when Teel is at his worst in my opinion. Rutgers is in the bottom 10 in terms of turnover margin and I see that really coming into play against a staunch UConn defense that is only giving up 18ppg on the season.

Like I said, I don't see this one as a blowout, but I see a well rested UConn team coming off a bye week being carried by Donald Brown all day, as he always seems to pile up the yardage when playing in front of his hometown crowd, and I don't see things being any different come Saturday.

RUTGERS NEWS - Courtesy of The Trentonian

CINCINNATI - Mike Teel had time to throw.

The fifth-year senior, with Rutgers trailing by three and with another chance to lead his team to a road victory late in the fourth quarter, put the pass where he needed to, hitting Kenny Britt across the middle and beyond the first-down marker.

But in a play symbolic of all that has gone wrong this year for the Scarlet Knights, Cincinnati cornerback Mike Mickens, a slick, speedy All-American, tripped Britt just as the Rutgers receiver got his hands on the ball. Britt bobbled it, it fell to the ground, and once more, the Knights came up small in a crucial situation.

Redshirt freshman Chazz Anderson threw for 239 yards in his second career start and Cincinnati beat Rutgers 13-10 before 32,370 at Nippert Stadium, dealing another blow to a Rutgers team desperate to turn its season around.

The Scarlet Knights (1-5, 0-2 Big East) are again staring at a situation that would have been unfathomable entering a once promising season. They enter next week's game against 5-1 Connecticut two losses away from being mathematically eliminated from postseason contention.

Rutgers, which lost its third straight against Cincinnati, needs to go 5-1 the rest of the way just to be bowl eligible.But a 7-5 record is likely necessary to attain a bowl bid, and the Knights need to reel off a fanciful six straight wins to accomplish that feat.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://bannerads.zwire.com/bannerads/bannerad.asp?ADLOCATION=4000&PAG=461&BRD=1697&LOCALPCT=100&AREA=442&VERT=1824&NAREA=403&AT=JS&barnd=129"></SCRIPT>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif][SIZE=-2]Advertisement[/SIZE][/FONT]

<!-- Story Body Sports/Middle3: Delivery Attempt via JX tag. --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://oascentral.trentonian.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_jx.ads/trentonian.com/Sports@Middle3"> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!-- if (parseFloat(navigator.appVersion) == 0) { document.write('<IFRAME width="" MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 HSPACE=0 VSPACE=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 SCROLLING=no BORDER="0" BORDERCOLOR="#000000" SRC="http://bannerads.zwire.com/bannerads/bannerad.asp?ADLOCATION=4000&PAG=461&BRD=1697&LOCALPCT=100&AREA=442&VERT=1824&NAREA=403&AT=IF&barnd=3186"></iframe>'); } //--> </SCRIPT> <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Yesterday's game was not without its positives. Running back Kordell Young, out for the past four games with knee soreness, was impressive in his return to the lineup.​

The redshirt sophomore from West Deptford rushed for 78 yards on 22 carries and completed a 17-yard touchdown pass to fullback Jack Corcoran to put the Knights on the board in the third quarter.

The defense, fatally flawed in every previous loss, turned in perhaps its best performance to date, holding the Bearcats (5-1, 1-0) to a field goal in a key goal-line stand in the second quarter and surrendering its lowest point total against an FBS opponent.

Yet many of the flaws that have held the Knights back all season haunted them yesterday, starting with the play of Teel.

The embattled co-captain completed just 19 of 35 passes for 175 yards and no touchdowns. He went his second straight game without an interception, but did little to help his team's cause, completing just two of his first eight passes as the offense sputtered in the first half.

The offensive line, with true freshman Art Forst making his first career start at right guard and walk-on Howard Barbieri making his third straight at left guard, was inept, drawing criticism from Rutgers coach Greg Schiano.

"We were getting manhandled up front," Schiano said. "Mike doesn't have anything to do with that. They took it to our offense. I think Mike's playing smart, not turning over the football. Sometimes you don't know, you don't throw, and that's what Mike's doing, I believe."

No Rutgers player had more than 51 receiving yards, and Notre Dame High School's Tiquan Underwood - a pre-season All-America candidate - did not catch a pass.

Despite Young's return, the running game as a whole was abysmal.

The Knights had only two rushing yards in the first half and 62 for the game. Jourdan Brooks, who had emerged as the team's feature back in Young's absence, had only three carries for six yards, and Mason Robinson, listed as the co-starter heading into the season opener, did not play.

The Bearcats, whose only loss was at then-fourth-ranked Oklahoma, were far from overwhelming. But since Brian Kelly took over as head coach last year, they are 15-4. Rutgers, by contrast is a mere 9-10 in that stretch, including a 3-6 mark in the Big East.

Things could have ended differently had Rutgers executed in the two-minute drill - something it has failed to do in each of its past three losses.

The Knights, who trailed 10-0 at the half, got the ball back on their own 12 yard line with 2:10 left, trailing only 13-10. Teel hit Britt for a 10-yard gain and a first down to start the drive, then hit tight end Kevin Brock for six yards on an out pattern to set up second and four from the 28.

But Teel's pass on second down sailed past Young. On third down, Britt caught a pass over the middle but was stopped short of the first-down marker, setting up fourth and one.

On fourth down, the pass protection was good, and Teel's pass was close enough to where it needed to be. But with the game on the line and Mickens covering Britt, it was Mickens who came up with a big play, and Cincinnati that came away with a victory.

"It's frustrating and hard, "Teel said, "and whatever else you can say."

UCONN NEWS - Courtesy of the Newstimes.com

STORRS -- Donald Brown swears he didn't need a week off. The UConn coaches and many of the Husky fans who have witnessed Brown work this season are glad the junior running back is getting a break.
The Huskies are off to a hot start for the second straight season, and Brown is undoubtedly the primary reason. He is the nation's leading rusher, having already passed the 1,000-yard mark, and has scored 12 touchdowns.

The number of times Brown has carried the ball -- he's averaging 30 carries per game -- is apparently of little concern to Brown and head coach Randy Edsall.
"I feel fine. I'm used to the workload by now," the Atlantic Highlands, N.J., native says matter-of-factly.
Edsall swears that Brown gets better the more touches he gets. It's been difficult to argue that point thus far.

The Huskies won five of their first six games and after taking a much-needed break this weekend, they'll return to action Saturday against Rutgers.
The win total may be more than some expected, but a number of Huskies are still feeling the sting of a 38-12 loss to North Carolina.

"North Carolina's a good team but we made it easy for them," Brown said. "You can't make mistakes against a good team, especially on the road. Turnovers, penalties, you name it, it happened."
Brown, for one, wanted more than 5-1.

"I had expectations of being 6-0, to be honest," Brown said. "But at 5-1, we're still in a great position, and there's still a lot more football to be played. In the remainder of those games, Brown may move around the offensive formation quite a bit.

He's been seen as a slot receiver on occasion and even made his debut as single-wing quarterback against North Carolina in the trendy "Wildcat" formation.
"It's given the other team a different look," Brown said. "If you look around football nowadays, if you turn on the NFL, you see the Miami Dolphins doing it. In college football, everybody's doing it.

"It's just a different thing to keep the defense on their toes."
Donald Brown is hopeful that, like the man with the same surname running the formation in Miami (Ronnie Brown), that he'll get to throw a pass soon.
"I've been lobbying to throw the ball here and there," Brown said with a laugh. "But a lot of people aren't buying it."
Brown actually has some experience with the forward pass. In fact, he has a perfect passer rating.

"I did throw one pass in high school," Brown said. "I was 1-for-1 with a touchdown."
When Red Bank Catholic needed a trick play, it turned to its star running back, and Brown connected on a 36-yard touchdown with a halfback option pass.
"It was nice," Brown said. "A lot of people say it wasn't, but it got there. It was good placement."

Red Bank actually lost to Matawan High that day, but it wasn't Brown's fault. In addition to the touchdown pass, he had over 200 yards on the ground. Brown doesn't mind recalling his glory days back in his home state, especially before his annual showdown against the State University of New Jersey. He admits, as is usually the case, to being anxious to face Rutgers.

"Yeah, I am," Brown said. "Going back home adds a little incentive to it."
He probably should be excited. In two games against the Scarlet Knights, Brown has rushed for 353 yards.With his favorite opponent on deck, it's no wonder Brown didn't want to wait an extra week.

FAU NOTES - Courtesy of Palm Beach Post

BOCA RATON — Florida Atlantic fans have been wondering why they haven't seen the Rusty Smith with the rocket arm that was the Sun Belt Conference player of the year in 2007.
On Monday, Smith revealed that he dislocated his left shoulder early in the Aug. 30 season opener at Texas. It wasn't his throwing shoulder, but Smith admits the injury led to bad mechanics.

<!--begintext-->"It could have something to do with the fact I started throwing off my back foot more than I ever have," Smith said. "I've never done that, that I can remember."
Smith has nine interceptions in six games - the same number he had in 13 games last season - and the Owls are 1-5 and 0-2 in the Sun Belt.

FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger acknowledged at the time that Smith was injured, but neither Schnellenberger nor Smith had ever used injury as an explanation for Smith's poor play.

Schnellenberger still believes Smith's high interception rate has more to do with the poor play of the offensive line and dropped balls.
"He's been rushed more than he was rushed last year," Schnellenberger said. "He's trying to get the ball out quicker than he should."

Smith injured the shoulder when he pounced on a bad snap. A Texas lineman's knee then ground Smith's shoulder into the turf. Smith said that led to him favoring his front side.
"It may have bothered him in the second game of the season. It never manifested itself in practice," Schnellenberger said.

What has manifested itself is the frustration, according to Smith.
"Because of expectations and now we're playing bad, the morale is a little bit down," he said.

The frustration was evident on the sideline during Tuesday's 30-17 loss to Troy. On one occasion, Smith angrily walked away from a discussion with senior offensive tackle John Rizzo.
"Sometimes I don't handle that in the best way and that's definitely something I need to do better," the junior QB said. "There has been frustration shown on the sidelines that should not have been shown by me."

But Smith believes he's been unfairly criticized, not just in the media but around campus.
"I honestly don't think it's fair a lot of people are blaming it heavily on myself," Smith said. "It's a team game."

Smith's numbers have plummeted since last season when he led the Owls to the conference championship was named MVP of the New Orleans Bowl. He is completing just 48.7 percent of his passes, compared to 58.7 last season. And his efficiency rating has sunk to 105.1 from 141.5 last season.

Analyst Steve Walsh, the former University of Miami quarterback, said he believes part of Smith's problems have been the loss of All-Sun Belt tight end Jason Harmon, who underwent knee surgery after Harmon was injured in the spring game.
Harmon had 63 catches for 825 yards last season.

Walsh calls the tight end a quarterback's "security blanket," and not having Harmon is "really messing up Rusty's efficiency. ... therefore he's putting more pressure on himself to do more with the football."

Smith said the shoulder injury is something he has to "get out of my mind" and offensive coordinator Gary Nord has been working with Smith on correcting his mechanics.
"It is getting better," Smith said.
Schnellenberger expects a turnaround, starting with Saturday's game at Western Kentucky.

"He's finding his rhythm again and he's getting better and I expect him to continue to get better to where he is in the groove he was last year."

<!--endtext--><!-- // END OF CONTENT // --><!-- begin DoubleClick addition --><!-- end DoubleClick addition --><!--startclickprintexclude--><!-- begin inform -->

FAU is still on the short list by the way. Just don't see the point of playing +1 115 at the greek, when I might be able to get 105 or better on the ML later this week.

I don't think FAU is as bad as they have demonstrated these past few weeks, so they should be able to put up enough points to get past the pesky Hilltoppers this weekend, but we'll see if this one ends up as a play or not.

FAU is still on the short list by the way. Just don't see the point of playing +1 115 at the greek, when I might be able to get 105 or better on the ML later this week.

I don't think FAU is as bad as they have demonstrated these past few weeks, so they should be able to put up enough points to get past the pesky Hilltoppers this weekend, but we'll see if this one ends up as a play or not.

I feel the same .. and nice to see a subelt special where i like the same side as you.

Wondering if you have concern at all the money that poured in on western kentucky right form the open ... kind of rare for sunbelt games and that has me a bit worried ....

I feel the same .. and nice to see a subelt special where i like the same side as you.

Wondering if you have concern at all the money that poured in on western kentucky right form the open ... kind of rare for sunbelt games and that has me a bit worried ....

Found the money thing interesting as well, but honestly I don't think I have ever let that influence a play before, so not gonna start now. I know a lot of guys are into the line moves, money, etc, but for better or for worse, I don't use it in my analysis of what I will be on each week. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes against me, but have never seen an established pattern either way with regard to my plays at least. Getting ready to dig into some WKU and FAU numbers, so will post anything that jumps out in this matchup.

CB - Thanks for the kind words bro.

Personally, I think Jones gets the start on Saturday. For one, he's been in the system for 3 years, and was the backup last year. Not to mention, IMO, Jones is more mobile than Brown. He's not as mobile as Hampton, but still...he can move around in the pocket and pick up 5 yards with his legs, if needed.

Honestly...even with the uncertainty at QB for the Trojans, I think Troy wins handily. The line is definitely light.

GL this weekend!

:cheers:

Remaining plays still on the "short list". Last 5 will probably fall off unless I get a significant line move. FAU is close to a definite one as they have just had a brutal schedule and I expect them to take out some frustration on WKU Saturday. Just doesn't make sense to pay 115 for a +1 when I honestly think they will win SU. Will wait for the MLs to come out later this week before I decide.

FAU PK 110 or better (sitting at +1 115 right now at the greek)
Troy 6 110 or better (sitting at 7 110 right now at the greek)
Arkie State +6 110 or better (sitting at 4.5 110 right now at the greek)
AFA -3 110 or better (sitting at 4.5 110 right now at the greek)
Houston -11 110 or better (sitting at 12.5 110 right now at the greek)
Tulsa -16.5 110 or better (sitting at 17.5 110 right now at the greek)

CB, few questions about the UNC play.

UVA is playing much stronger these last 2 weeks and they have been a tough home team under Groh. Do you think on the road you might feel the losses of arguably your best play maker in Tate and your starting QB. Sexson has played well and Hicks is a big time WR, Carolina is also real hot right now but so is UVA and they've been running the ball really well.

Good read on the upcoming UNC game

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – No. 18 North Carolina emerged from the weekend with an important victory, but also suffered a crucial loss as Brandon Tate is done for the season. Now, the Tar Heels must prepare for a road trip to Virginia that has been nothing short of cruel over the past 25 years.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
Tate – arguably the leading candidate for ACC Player of the Year honors – tore both his ACL and MCL during the first quarter of Saturday’s win over Notre Dame, leaving a huge void for this North Carolina program. The senior from Burlington, N.C. is not special because he did one thing particularly well – he is special because he does a variety of things exceptionally well.

Need Tate to run the ball? He tallied 106 rushing yards in the season opener against McNeese State. Need him to catch the ball? How’s 138 yards and a touchdown on four receptions against Rutgers sound?

And on top of those exploits, we all know what he brought to the table for the special teams unit – Tate finished his career as the NCAA's all-time leader in combined kick return yards with 3,523 yards.

“We don’t have another Brandon Tate that we can take off the shelf and plug him into the game and say, ‘Everything is normal. We’ll just go [back to] business as usual,’” head coach Butch Davis said during his weekly Monday press conference. “For a period of time, it may take two or three guys to fill that role and it will give some guys some opportunities. As was the case when T.J. Yates got hurt and went down, Cam Sexton stepped up and stepped in, and that’s what we need now.”

For an offense that has already dealt with losing its starting quarterback for a significant period of time, the players fully intend to keep their momentum moving forward.

“You can’t replace a Brandon Tate, and we never will, but somebody’s going to have to fill that role,” Sexton said. “We’ll be prepared to replace him.”
Standout junior wide receiver Hakeem Nicks echoed those sentiments.

“Guys just have to step up,” Nicks said. “I have no doubt in my mind that Brooks Foster will be able to step up and carry the load. Cooter Arnold has got to step up [and] Kenton Thornton. So it’s just a matter of guys having to step up and know their role.”

But while Nicks pointed to a couple of options at wide receiver, who will be responsible for taking on the bigger challenge of assuming Tate’s duties as a kick and punt returner? Opponents have strategically kicked away from Tate for much of the season, resigned to giving the Tar Heels good field position so long as the senior specialist didn’t have the opportunity for a homerun return.
That will no longer be the case, which puts an increased level of stress on Nicks and his fellow returners – whoever they may be. Johnny White replaced Tate at kick returner on Saturday, but if he stays at that position is anyone’s guess, because Davis is not about to share those personnel decisions with the media.

“We’ve got ideas, but rather than fax them to you or to Al Groh, we thought we’d maybe sit on them,” Davis told one media member on Monday.
Tate could have been a determining factor in North Carolina breaking the Charlottesville curse that has draped itself over this program since last winning at UVa in 1981, as the Cavaliers are allowing 23.7 yards per kick return (96th nationally). As such, the Tar Heels will continue to rely on their opportunistic ways (14 interceptions and a plus-1.83 turnover margin leads the nation) to return to Chapel Hill on Saturday night with a 6-1 (2-1 ACC) record.
Virginia has won 15 of the last 20 meetings against UNC, including 13 straight at home, as the Cavs welcome the Tar Heels for the 113th contest in the South’s oldest rivalry. But Davis indicated that this series’ history belongs in the past.

“To these kids, it really doesn’t make any difference,” Davis said. “None of these guys were alive back in that period of time, and it’s the next game on the schedule. It’s a big game – it’s an ACC game. And it’s against a good football team.”

It’s interesting that Davis would make those remarks, considering it was North Carolina’s 23-0 collapse at Virginia on Oct. 19, 2006 that started the ball rolling to bring him to Chapel Hill.

“I don’t think we scored a point, and I don’t think we played worth a [darn] on defense,” senior linebacker Mark Paschal said when asked about the ’06 game. “That was probably the lowest of the lows. National television. Coach [John] Bunting was fired shortly thereafter. Thursday night. It was embarrassing for us as players, embarrassing for the University, so it’s something that has definitely stuck in my mind.”
North Carolina is just one victory away from becoming bowl eligible for the first time since 2004, and that team needed a season-ending victory over Duke to earn a trip to the Continental Tire Bowl. This group of Tar Heels is aiming just a little bit higher.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT>var premiumFlag = 0;</SCRIPT><!--end STORY DISPLAY-->
<!--RELATED STORIES DISPLAY-->

GL this week CB, always enjoy your threads.

Thanks Tim, appreciate the post. About to jump on a total as soon as the greek finishes posting the rest of their card. Have only gone 1-2 on totals so far this year, so buyer beware haha.

Some random thoughts from me on the over...

ULM has been giving up big plays of 30+ yards left and right, and I fully expect this game to be the one that cures all of the North Texas offensive woes, as ULM is decimated by injuries on both sides of the ball and as a result, they just aren't able to execute as well as many thought they would at the start of the season. The Warhawks gave up over 700+ to ULL and I expect NT to put up at least 500+ in this one as they have finally found a rushing game (actually got 100 yd rusher last week) and Giovanni was halfway decent under center in a losing effort last week.

On the flip side, North Texas is still a mess on defense, and ULM will most likely be the beneficiary of at least one special teams and one defensive score, as NT continues to turn the ball over at inopportune times leading to short fields for their opponents. ULM has been bitten by the turnover bug as well, so this should also help the over cause, as both teams tend to turn the ball over outside of the redzone, rather than inside, so I won't have to worry about guaranteed scores being wiped out because of turnovers.

Should be a very entertaining game to watch, and I actually think NT has a shot to pull of the SU win, as this is a pretty decent matchup and spot for them. Thought about taking the 18.5, but felt the over was the stronger play, and I hate playing both side and total on a game, so just gonna stick with my over 65.5.

so far i'm looking at small smakller games lets discuss these....

ULM
WMU
FAU
Troy

All these games are sitting at or near the key numbers and its enticing to take them. Especially WMU they lead CMU in every statistical category and yet tey are catching points? HF means dick in the MAC?

Would lobve insights ont hese games this week before pulling any triggers

I will be the first to admit that Tate is a huge loss for my Heels, but here are a few points to consider for those that are quick to write off UNC as a one man team with regard to the receiving corp.

Nicks actually has twice as many catches as Tate this year 33 vs 16

Foster only has 3 fewer catches than Tate this year 13 vs 16

Nicks is averaging 22 yards per return, Tate was averaging 28 (Tate is the man when it comes to returns as the record was his for the taking, but just pointing out that Nicks does have some solid results back there as well. With that said, I probably wouldn't have him returning kicks, but the option is there if Davis decides to go that route)

Yes, Foster is the 3rd receiver, but he has 93 receptions in his career with 8 going for TDs, so he is definitely capable of making things happen

Again, this doesn't take away from the fact that you can't replace a guy like Tate because he is so multifaceted and can hurt opposing teams in so many ways, but the Heels have a lot of different weapons (haven't even mentioned the defense at all), so just want guys to keep things in perspective because Nicks is a stud and Foster is not some walk on coming in off the street by any means.

Yes, I am officially insane...

ADDING WASHINGTON STATE TEAM TOTAL OVER 6.5

one lucky play in 60 minutes isnt too much to ask for at home.

still think you are insane though , but it has nothing to do with this play.

i actually like it and might tail you.

one lucky play in 60 minutes isnt too much to ask for at home.

still think you are insane though , but it has nothing to do with this play.

i actually like it and might tail you.

Yeah, nothing like having to root for a lucky play or a bonehead move by a 4th stringer to get my cover haha. My thinking is that USC will call off the dogs somewhat early with Zona looming and WSU will get a lucky break from a turnover or something. Also figure they might go for it a few times inside the red zone vs kicking FGs since they have nothing to lose at this point, so maybe I will get a bounce or two to go my way. Should at least be fun watching that score alert ticker at the bottom of the screen, hoping and praying for the "0" in front of WSU to start flashing signalling a score change haha.

If this doesn't qualify me as insane, then my all too frequent MAC and Sunbelt plays most definitely do the trick. Best of luck this weekend!

Yeah, nothing like having to root for a lucky play or a bonehead move by a 4th stringer to get my cover haha. My thinking is that USC will call off the dogs somewhat early with Zona looming and WSU will get a lucky break from a turnover or something. Also figure they might go for it a few times inside the red zone vs kicking FGs since they have nothing to lose at this point, so maybe I will get a bounce or two to go my way. Should at least be fun watching that score alert ticker at the bottom of the screen, hoping and praying for the "0" in front of WSU to start flashing signalling a score change haha.

If this doesn't qualify me as insane, then my all too frequent MAC and Sunbelt plays most definitely do the trick. Best of luck this weekend!

The reason i dont think it qualifies you for instant induction into insane asylum is because i think it is a sharp bet. Team has been held to under a td at home just twice since the start of 2002 ( probably longer but thats as far as i cared to look ) . Both of those games were home to cal , including one earlier this year. Granted this is a lesser version of wazzu than all of those previous years but if they cant get up at home for usc and if usc cant look past wash st then when can either team ? usc also showed ability to turn it over last week so maybe get a cheap score or a short field. And as you mentioned you have backups in early with the likely humongous early lead and carroll need to get 5 star recruits playing time.

If i decide not to tail .. and i am leaning to putting something onto this and it never even occurred to me prior to reading your thread .... i will still look at that score every time it flashes and think of you bud ,,lol.

gl this week .....

p.s. any further thoughts on fau ?

For those of you considering ULL now that the line has dropped to -3 110, just keep in mind that ULL QB Desormeaux injured his knee late in Saturday’s game and Bustle hasn't decided whether or not he will play this weekend. That is really the only thing keeping me off this play right now, as the home team has won every game in the series since '97 and Arkie State hasn't won at ULL in something like 20+ years if I am not mistaken, but if MD isn't playing, all bets are off...literally, as Fenroy won't be able to do it by himself against the Red Wolves.

Follow up story on Mike D from the advertiser...

Michael Desormeaux is a big question mark for the first-place date with ASU after coach Rickey Bustle confirmed on Monday the nation's leading rusher among quarterbacks suffered a sprained knee in last weekend's win at North Texas.
And if it could get worse, it did when Bustle announced that middle linebacker Richard Brooks suffered a season-ending knee injury against UNT.

"It is the time of the year that key injuries do matter," Bustle said. "We've had our share on defense; we've definitely had our share in the linebacker area."
The QB puzzle

Bustle said Desormeaux's status will be evaluated "daily." But the timing is excruciatingly bad.

A senior from New Iberia, Desormeaux is among the national leaders in rushing (11th, 118 ypg) and total offense (13th, 297.3 ypg), and the unquestioned leader for a UL offense that's ranked first in the country in rushing (332 ypg), fifth in total offense (529 ypg) and 20th in scoring at 37 points per game.

And, of all things, Desormeaux was injured without contact at UNT.
"We're not even sure how Mike got hurt," Bustle said. "He hands the ball off and then after he bootlegs a little bit ... he fell like somebody shot him. Nobody hit him."
If Desormeaux can't go against the Sun Belt's second-rated defense, Bustle said the call will go to redshirt freshman Brad McGuire. Interestingly, McGuire leads the conference in pass efficiency, having completed 4 of 6 passes for 79 yards with one TD and no interceptions for a 232.27 rating in limited duty.

"Obviously, he lacks experience," Bustle said of McGuire. "But like Mike, he brings a calmness and confidence to our players - our players love him.
"He's got a stronger arm. Now it gets into decision-making whether he's a better passer, but he's got a stronger arm."

Bustle said if the Cajuns had been scheduled to practice on Monday that Desormeaux would have been unavailable.
"Talking to him, he feels better today," Bustle said. "I think if we were practicing today, he wouldn't do anything, so we'll wait and see how he is (Tuesday). But he improved from (Sunday to Monday)."
Linebacker shuffle

According to Bustle, Brooks tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in the third quarter of the Cajuns' 59-30 win over North Texas. The redshirt freshman had started the past five games and is tied for fifth on the team with 31 tackles.
Losing Brooks means the Cajuns will have to reshuffle the depth chart at linebacker again. Senior Antwyne Zanders, a two-year starter, and sophomore Daylon McCoy will fill the opening left by Brooks.
Zanders is tied for fifth on the team with 31 tackles. McCoy, moved from safety in the spring, is fourth with 32 stops.
"We'll move Zanders to the middle," Bustle said. "McCoy will step in to replace Zanders on the outside."
Brooks becomes the third linebacker lost by the Cajuns this season, decimating an area that was once the team's defensive strength.
Brent Burkhalter, a senior who was a full-time starter the previous two seasons in the middle, was dismissed for violating team rules on Sept. 30.

Grant Fleming, a sophomore who started the past two seasons, tore his ACL in a win over UL Monroe on Oct. 4. Fleming still ranks second on the team with 34 tackles.
The Cajuns also lost another linebacker back in the spring when sophomore Fred Davis transferred to Morgan State.
What's left is a lot of unknowns.

The starters will be Zanders, McCoy and junior Jezreel Washington. The only veteran backup is senior Jonathon Vance behind McCoy. True freshmen Devon Lewis-Buchanan and Chris Richard are behind Washington, while another true freshman, Kyron Benoit, and sophomore Matt Desormeaux - moved from tight end last week - are behind Zanders.

"You're bringing a young defense along and having setbacks along the way with injuries," Bustle said. "The linebacker position, we thought, was going to be one of our stronger positions and all of a sudden that bowling ball's gone through there.
"But those three freshmen, they're good players. They just haven't been in the games ... Our plan (with Matt Desormeaux) was to get him ready to go in a week or two, but he's going to have to be ready yesterday now."

<CENTER>WEEK 8 SUN BELT POWER POLL - courtesy of rivals.com</CENTER>

[SIZE=+2]1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Troy (3-2, 2-0 SBC)
channel_stockeven.gif
[/SIZE]
troy_statslogo.gif
The skinny: Troy won the game against FAU, but might have lost more in the process. Starting quarterback Jamie Hampton is now out for the year with an injury and Troy has big conference games remaining against Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas State, and Florida International.

Next: Saturday vs. FIU. The Golden Panthers are the hottest team in the conference right now and could steal one from a Trojan team that will be handing the offense over to backup QB Tanner Jones for the first time.

[SIZE=+2]2][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Arkansas State (4-2, 2-0 SBC)
channel_stockeven.gif
[/SIZE]
arkansasstate_statslogo.gif
The skinny: The Red Wolves handled a weak, weak ULM team last week and they will be watching the Troy/FIU game intently this week to see what kind of performance they can expect out of the Trojans from here on out.

Next: Saturday at Louisiana-Lafayette. ASU needs to be careful and prepare for the Ragin Cajuns instead of looking too much ahead to next week's matchup at #2 Alabama.

[SIZE=+2]3][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Louisiana-Lafayette (3-3, 2-0 SBC)
channel_stockup.gif
[/SIZE]1 spot
lalafayette_statslogo.gif
The skinny: ULL hung 59 points on the worst team in the country against North Texas last week. The Cajuns are playing a well balanced brand of football and are gaining more confidence with each game.

Next: Saturday vs. Arkansas State. This is a huge matchup for ULL. A win would immediately move the Cajuns into the Sun Belt championship discussion.

[SIZE=+2]4][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Florida International (3-3, 2-0 SBC)
channel_stockup.gif
[/SIZE]2 spots
flainternational_statslogo.gif
The skinny: Mario Cristobal has my vote for Sun Belt Coach of the Year. His Golden Panthers dominated Saturday against Middle Tennessee in a game that was no where near as close as the 31-21 final score indicated. I gave FIU a lot of grief at the beginning of the year, but Cristobal knew what he had. That's why he's coaching the team and I am writing the Power Poll.

Next: Saturday at Troy. The Golden Panthers are riding a three game winning streak into Troy and if they can pull this upset, they'll be half way to their first Sun Belt championship.

[SIZE=+2]5][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Middle Tennessee (2-4, 1-3 SBC)
channel_stockdown.gif
[/SIZE]2 spots
mtsu_statslogo.gif
The skinny: MT played an awful game at FIU and quarterback Joe Craddock had arguably the worst game of his career. Hopes for a Sun Belt championship are a far distant memory now. Of course, this was supposed to be only a five win season anyway.

Next: Saturday at Louisville. The Blue Raiders always seem to play up or down to their opponents, and they really took it to Louisville's defense last year in a 58-42 defeat. It might be time to just go for broke the rest of the season for MT and try to get to somehow reach a bowl game.

[SIZE=+2]6][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Florida Atlantic (1-5, 0-2 SBC)
channel_stockdown.gif
[/SIZE]1 spot
flaatlantic_statslogo.gif
The skinny: The Owls have been accused of dirty play twice in two weeks, once when MT running back Phillip Tanner was injured and most recently when Troy quarterback Jamie Hampton went down. The season is slowly spiraling out of control for FAU, and it needs to get it back on track quickly against Western Kentucky.

Next: Saturday at Western Kentucky. The Hilltoppers have been labeled a dirty team this season by Virginia Tech, so I'm not really sure how this one plays out. If FAU wants to stay relevant this season, this is a must win.

[SIZE=+2]7][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Louisiana-Monroe (1-5, 0-2 SBC)
channel_stockeven.gif
[/SIZE]
lamonroe_statslogo.gif
The skinny: ULM is just a really bad team right now. The Warhawks did a good job sticking with Arkansas State, but they just don't have the firepower to take out one of the top teams in the conference.

Next: Saturday vs. North Texas. In a matchup of Sun Belt bottom feeders, ULM should come out of this one with its second win of the season.

[SIZE=+2]8][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]North Texas (0-6, 0-2 SBC)
channel_stockeven.gif
[/SIZE]
northtexas_statslogo.gif
The skinny: The offense came alive of sorts against the Ragin Cajuns. Giovanni Vizza threw for 361 yards and two touchdowns. Cam Montgomery ran for 116 yards and Casey Fitzgerald had 231 yards receiving. The Mean Green still lost badly.

Next: Saturday at Louisiana-Monroe. It's all well and good that the offense performed so well, but there is still no defense suiting up for the Mean Green. Last I checked, you have to play offense AND defense to win football games.

Wednesday's Sit Down with Coach Schnellenberger and Players

Howard Schnellenberger
On FAU
Since the beginning this group has practiced well. They have done everything we have asked them to do and they continue to do that. It is unfortunate that we have turned the ball over too much and have squandered opportunities in the "red zone" and made errors in the kicking game.

On the Season
This season will be remembered by the last six games. If they remember the first six that means we had trouble with the last six.

Western Kentucky
I think their team is very capable for a team that is in transition. They have played some very good team very close. The game with Virginia Tech was eye opening and at Kentucky it wasn't until really late that they started getting points.

Cortez Gent

Mood of the team
We're looking at these last six games as a new season. We're going to take it one game at a time and just keep pushing to see what happens at the end of the year. It's a long season, it's a disappointing first half, and we're trying to see if we can get a lot of positive out of the second half.
What would a win mean to the team?

A win this week would be real big and it would get us in the direction that we need to go. We've been kind of down with these disappointing losses. A win this week would be good. Everybody's still has a positive attitude, and we're still working hard as if we were still going for a National Championship.

Adding more fluidity to the offense
We touched a lot on the basic stuff. We go back to day 1, getting the steps down correctly, going full speed through the whistle and giving that extra effort.
Western Kentucky's defense.

<!-- STORY AD BEGINS HERE -->They've got a very good defense. They've played against a lot of great teams. They're not doing something that we haven't seen, so we'll be prepared for whatever they bring at us.

Michael Hancock
Can you guys turn things around?

I think we can turn things around. I know we've probably said this every week, we're changing things now, we're really committed. But I think this year things aren't going our way. Last year every single thing went our way, we got the breaks; we got the interception at the right time. We had a couple of games that we could've lost this year that could've made it a totally different season. And I think we've had the opposite going for the first six games. But I think that in these last six games I think things will turned around. I think our focus is very good right now, I just think that we've got our backs against the wall right now and almost nothing to lose, I think we'll pull out something to finish strong.
Western Kentucky's offense
They have a lot of good athletes; they're very, very fast. They have a very athletic quarterback; they have some fast running backs. They play the spread offense a little differently than some of the other teams we've faced; they've got a couple of different twists to it. But when they're moving well they're a very good offense. The biggest thing I think we have to prepare for was how athletic their quarterback and running backs are.

Hmmmm....actually leaning towards WKU at this point, as they have shown a lot of heart this year and their crowd has stuck with them, so a part of me says that they finally pull out a win vs a D-1A, as their persistence pays off, but man, I hate going against my original lean because I will be so pissed if FAU ends up winning. What to do, what to do..hmmmm

Hmmmm....actually leaning towards WKU at this point, as they have shown a lot of heart this year and their crowd has stuck with them, so a part of me says that they finally pull out a win vs a D-1A, as their persistence pays off, but man, I hate going against my original lean because I will be so pissed if FAU ends up winning. What to do, what to do..hmmmm

I'm in the same position as you. Original lean was FAU but WKU has since over taken that

I'm in the same position as you. Original lean was FAU but WKU has since over taken that

I think we are going to see a steady stream of money come in on FAU since people are going to take the side of the team "they know" vs the "unknown provisional squad". Don't agree with this at all, but just my guess, so gonna wait it out and see if I can get something like +100 or better on a WKU ML, then decide from there.

Key points I am considering in the FAU vs WKU matchup

WKU is forcing about 2 turnovers a game and they are facing an FAU team that is ranked #117 in turnover margin, so this could be crucial especially in a close game

WKU is averaging about 30 yds per kick return and they are facing an FAU team that is #116 in punting and #100 in kick returns, so field position could be key

WKU has faced 3 Top 25 teams and they have been fairly competitive in the majority of their 5 nonconference games so far this year

WKU was in Ball State territory for 7 of their 11 drives, but time and again came up with 0 points, as they just couldn't capitalize when they had the momentum in their favor. This has been a consistent theme all season. Will this be the game they turn things around, or will the theme continue vs an FAU team that has clearly underachieved to date?

FAU has a size advantage in the WR vs DB matchup, as FAU's receivers average about 6'3" and they are going up against WKU DB's that average around 5'11", so the key will be whether Rusty can take advantage of this mismatch and connect on big plays

FAU has the more experienced and tested squad and they are approaching this game as a fresh start to a new season, so will this be the breakout game that turns their season around?

WKU has sputtered on offense against decent teams, and FAU has yet to shine on offense, but we all know they have the capability. Again, is this the game where all the pieces finally come together, or is FAU really as bad as they have looked?

FAU is #118 in scoring, #105 in rushing, #117 in turnover margin, #102 in rush defense, #100 in scoring defense, and their leading rusher is only averaging 53ypg, yet this game is a PK. Is WKU really that bad?

FAU was considered one of the top preseason favorites in the Sunbelt before the season began. Rusty's shoulder injury aside, again, is FAU really this bad or has it simply been a case of their opponents being that good?

More to come...

CB,

Why are you beating your head against the wall for a play on the FA/W K game that is virtually a pickum game with no margin for error? You are acting like this is the only play in the Sunbelt for you this week!

Have you looked over the FIU/Troy game? The Troy QB is out for the year and he is the whole offense. The starting ctr sprained his ankle and is listed ? or probable depending on the injury report. FIU is completely under the radar and has won their last three which includes a win at Toledo getting 19 pts. (Their record was 1-11 ly and the win was their last game at home vs NT+2.) They are 3-3 SU and 5-1 vs the PS, but if you include their last game ly, they are 4-3 SU and 6-1 PS. They are presently getting +8 at Troy and this looks like a better play to me as there IS margin for error. The new QB has to win his first start AND cover the spread by nine points!

This FIU/Troy game is going to be on ESPN and it could be for the conference championship as both teams are 2-0 in the SB. I sure would be interested to hear your take on this game and see a write up if you can find one. (The ones you have posted are very informative.)

My suggestion on the FA/W Ken game is to stick with your orginal pick or pass. When you look too deep sometimes it can shake your confidence so it is best not to second guess yourself too much and stick to your guns. If you don't feel confident at game time, then pass. The same thing applies when you look at too many opinions on games you like because someone will always have an opinion on the other side. KISS is a good rule to use in handicapping so that you don't get your ego and emotions too involved. As an old handicapper I know this for a fact because I've been there and done that!!!:smiley_acbe:

Anyway, Keep up the good work and my best wishes for a great football season!:shake:

Hey, CB--

If you're out there, how about ULL now that the line is 3. I know you wanted Arky +6 but would you take the fav in this game?

CB,

Why are you beating your head against the wall for a play on the FA/W K game that is virtually a pickum game with no margin for error? You are acting like this is the only play in the Sunbelt for you this week!

Have you looked over the FIU/Troy game? The Troy QB is out for the year and he is the whole offense. The starting ctr sprained his ankle and is listed ? or probable depending on the injury report. FIU is completely under the radar and has won their last three which includes a win at Toledo getting 19 pts. (Their record was 1-11 ly and the win was their last game at home vs NT+2.) They are 3-3 SU and 5-1 vs the PS, but if you include their last game ly, they are 4-3 SU and 6-1 PS. They are presently getting +8 at Troy and this looks like a better play to me as there IS margin for error. The new QB has to win his first start AND cover the spread by nine points!

This FIU/Troy game is going to be on ESPN and it could be for the conference championship as both teams are 2-0 in the SB. I sure would be interested to hear your take on this game and see a write up if you can find one. (The ones you have posted are very informative.)

My suggestion on the FA/W Ken game is to stick with your orginal pick or pass. When you look too deep sometimes it can shake your confidence so it is best not to second guess yourself too much and stick to your guns. If you don't feel confident at game time, then pass. The same thing applies when you look at too many opinions on games you like because someone will always have an opinion on the other side. KISS is a good rule to use in handicapping so that you don't get your ego and emotions too involved. As an old handicapper I know this for a fact because I've been there and done that!!!:smiley_acbe:

Anyway, Keep up the good work and my best wishes for a great football season!:shake:

Appreciate the post.

The FAU vs WKU game is actually a no play for me, but was just giving my thought process as I get emails from guys asking how I narrow down my plays week in and week out, so figured it would be helpful to give a "who wants to be a millionaire" perspective on how I talk through questions and answers on a particular play before making a decision that's all. The questions I posed were the reason I made it a no play, so it sounds like I just didn't do a good job of communicating what I was trying to do that's all.

Will try to post some thoughts on the FIU game if I get a sec, but that one is definitely a pass for me, as I usually scratch games that involve an unknown like that one does. I agree that FIU has been playing a lot better as of late, but not sure if I agree on the assessment that Hampton is the entire team, as Troy is a soild squad with more than a few playmakers on both sides of the ball on their roster. Also don't think FIU will be in the hunt for the title as I believe there are at least 3 teams in the sunbelt better than the Golden Panthers, and I fully expect that to play out over the second half of the season.

Again, thanks for the post, good stuff, as I always enjoy well thought out opinions whether they agree or disagree with my position. Feel free to post anytime the thread as I really appreciate the input!

Back