2021-22 college football bowl schedule​

College Football Playoff​

DateBowlTime (TV)Matchup
Jan. 10 National Championship
Indianapolis
8 p.m. (ESPN) Semifinal winners
Dec. 31 Cotton semifinal
Arlington, Tex.
3:30 p.m. (ESPN) (1) Alabama (12-1) vs. (4) Cincinnati (13-0)
Dec. 31 Orange semifinal
Miami Gardens, Fla.
7:30 p.m. (ESPN) (2) Michigan (12-1) vs. (3) Georgia (12-1)

Selection committee bowl games​

DateBowlTime (TV)Matchup
Dec. 30 Peach
Atlanta, Ga.
7 p.m. (ESPN) Michigan State (10-2) vs. Pittsburgh (11-2)
Jan. 1 Fiesta
Glendale, Ariz.
1 p.m. (ESPN) Notre Dame (11-1) vs. Oklahoma State (11-2)
Jan. 1 Rose
Pasadena, Calif.
5 p.m. (ESPN) Ohio State (10-2) vs. Utah (10-3)
Jan. 1 Sugar
New Orleans, La.
8:45 p.m. (ESPN) Ole Miss (10-2) vs. Baylor (11-2)

Other bowl games​

DateBowlTime (TV)Matchup
Jan. 4Texas Bowl
Houston, Texas
9 p.m. (ESPN) Kansas State (7-5) vs. LSU (6-6)
Jan. 1Citrus
Orlando, Fla.
1 p.m. (ABC) Iowa (10-3) vs. Kentucky (9-3)
Jan. 1Outback
Tampa, Fla.
Noon (ESPN2) Penn State (7-5) vs. Arkansas (8-4)
Dec. 31Tony the Tiger
El Paso, Texas
12:30 p.m. (CBS) Miami (Fla.) (7-5) vs. Wash. State (7-5)
Dec. 31Arizona
Tucson, Ariz.
4:30 p.m. (Barstool) C. Michigan (8-4) vs. Boise State (7-5)
Dec. 31TaxSlayer
Jacksonville, Fla.
11 a.m. (ESPN) Wake Forest (10-3) vs. Texas A&M (8-4)
Dec. 30Las Vegas
Las Vegas, Nev.
10:30 p.m. (ESPN)Wisconsin (8-4) vs. Arizona State (8-4)
Dec. 30Music City
Nashville, Tenn.
3 p.m. (ESPN) Purdue (8-4) vs. Tennessee (7-5)
Dec. 30Duke's Mayo
Charlotte, N.C.
11:30 a.m. (ESPN)N. Carolina (6-6) vs. S. Carolina (6-6)
Dec. 29Alamo
San Antonio, Texas
9:15 p.m. (ESPN)
Oklahoma (10-2) vs. Oregon (10-3)
Dec. 29 Cheez-It
Orlando, Fla.
5:45 p.m. (ESPN) Clemson (9-3) vs. Iowa State (7-5)
Dec. 29Pinstripe
New York, N.Y.
2:15 p.m. (ESPN) Virginia Tech (6-6) vs. Maryland (6-6)
Dec. 29Fenway
Boston, Mass.
11 a.m. (ESPN) Virginia (6-6) vs. SMU (8-4)
Dec. 28 Guaranteed Rate
Phoenix, Ariz.
10:15 p.m. (ESPN) Minnesota (8-4) vs. West Virginia (6-6)
Dec. 28Liberty
Memphis, Tenn.
6:45 p.m. (ESPN)
Texas Tech (6-6) vs. Miss. State (7-5)
Dec. 28Holiday
San Diego, Calif.
5 p.m. (FOX) UCLA (8-4) vs. NC State (9-3)
Dec. 28First Responder
University Park, Texas
3:15 p.m. (ESPN) Louisville (6-6) vs. Air Force (9-3)
Dec. 28Birmingham
Birmingham, Ala.
Noon (ESPN) Houston (11-2) vs. Auburn 6-6)
Dec. 27Military
Annapolis, Mary.
2:30 p.m. (ESPN) E. Carolina (7-5) vs. Boston Coll. (6-6)
Dec. 27Quick Lane
Detroit, Mich.
11 a.m. (ESPN) W. Michigan (7-5) vs. Nevada (8-4)
Dec. 25Camellia
Montgomery, Ala.
2:30 p.m. (ESPN) Ball State (6-6) vs. Georgia State (7-5)
Dec. 24Hawai'i
Honolulu, Hawaii
8 p.m. (ESPN) Memphis (6-6) vs. Hawaii (6-7)
Dec. 23Gasparilla
Tampa, Fla.
7:30 p.m. (ABC)Florida (6-6) vs. UCF (8-4)
Dec. 22Armed Forces
Fort Worth, Texas
8 p.m. (ESPN)Army (8-3) vs. Missouri (6-6)
Dec. 21Frisco
Frisco, Texas
7:30 p.m. (ESPN) UTSA (12-1) vs. San Diego State (11-2)
Dec. 21Famous Idaho Potato
Boise, Idaho
3:30 p.m. (ESPN) Kent State (7-6) vs. Wyoming (6-6)
Dec. 20Myrtle Beach
Conway, S.C.
2:30 p.m. (ESPN) Tulsa (6-6) vs. Old Dominion (6-6)
Dec. 18 New Orleans
New Orleans, La.
9:15 p.m. (ESPN) Marshall (7-5) vs. Louisiana (12-1)
Dec. 18L.A.
Los Angeles, Calif.
7:30 p.m. (ABC) Utah State (10-3) vs. Oregon State (7-5)
Dec. 18LendingTree
Mobile, Ala.
5:45 p.m. (ESPN) E. Michigan (7-5) vs. Liberty (7-5)
Dec. 18Independence
Shreveport, La.
3:30 p.m. (ABC) BYU (10-2) vs. UAB (8-4)
Dec. 18New Mexico
Albuquerque, N.M.
2:15 p.m. (ESPN) UTEP (7-5) vs. Fresno State (9-3)
Dec. 18Boca Raton
Boca Raton, Fla.
11 a.m. (ESPN) W. Kentucky (8-5) vs. App. State (10-3)
Dec. 17Cure
Orlando, Fla.
6 p.m. (ESPN2) N. Illinois (9-4) vs. C. Carolina (10-2)
Dec. 17Bahamas
Nassau, Bahamas
Noon (ESPN) Middle Tenn. (6-6) vs. Toledo (7-5)
TBATBA Texas
Frisco, Texas
TBA (ESPN) Miami (Ohio) (6-6) vs. North Texas (6-6)

Last edited:
Yeah, there is going to be a lot of moving parts with players opting out, what happens tomorrow with those games and the general feeling around the program and who really wants to play in the bowl and who doesn't.

I don't have strong feelings on this beforehand, but I took it from the in-game that some do.

The Clemson angle, I could see people saying "they are used to being in conference title games and playoff games competing for national championships, are they really going to care about insert bowl name here" - I'd agree with MW. I think the way they played down the stretch, it's been known for some time that they weren't likely an ACC divisional winner and it's been known for a very long time that they weren't CFP caliber - so they've been through those turning points and have only gotten better as the year went on.

Virginia might seem one to fade. Unexpectedly see their HC resign, were on the cusp of winning the division and upset by instate rival to end season. They really care about a bowl game?
What planet am I on? Bronco resigned?

What planet am I on? Bronco resigned?

Damn, that's your league too. LSU and USC sucked the air out of every other coaching move. I haven't read any reasons myself, just know it happened

Yeah, there is going to be a lot of moving parts with players opting out, what happens tomorrow with those games and the general feeling around the program and who really wants to play in the bowl and who doesn't.

I don't have strong feelings on this beforehand, but I took it from the in-game that some do.

The Clemson angle, I could see people saying "they are used to being in conference title games and playoff games competing for national championships, are they really going to care about insert bowl name here" - I'd agree with MW. I think the way they played down the stretch, it's been known for some time that they weren't likely an ACC divisional winner and it's been known for a very long time that they weren't CFP caliber - so they've been through those turning points and have only gotten better as the year went on.
Yep. Totally agree, MW is right. It's almost like they have played two seasons, and the second one started for Clemson when Shipley scored the go ahead TD against FSU. They are motivated to finish the year. They'll play well in that bowl game IMO.

what's the story here?

Haener transfered into Fresno last year. Had terrific season this year, they celebrated him, had something called "Jake Haener Day" after the UCLA win. He announced his transfer last week. Somebody hung those bed sheets from the student union and goal post of the practice field afterwards. Student and fan animosity being what it is, the team no doubt is a tighter unit, but a lot of termoil and questions. Coach got flown away on private jet to Washington. Maybe Fresno comes out with a chip on their shoulder? Could be one angle. Tend to think without Haener they are in trouble. Fresno does have good RBs and maybe they gameplan a big day for them?

Love these threads, will try to hit before announcements. What time does the playoff start tomorrow? It's moving weekend, need to put thought into it.

Obviously I expect UTSA and BYU to play each other and both would be play ons for me most of the time

Notre Dame has to be a play I think, they love the new hire and get out from underneath Kelly, think there is plenty of effort to show they made the right move.

unless craziness happens and they play uga in playoff, wouldnt trust they could score on dawgs!

Haener transfered into Fresno last year. Had terrific season this year, they celebrated him, had something called "Jake Haener Day" after the UCLA win. He announced his transfer last week. Somebody hung those bed sheets from the student union and goal post of the practice field afterwards. Student and fan animosity being what it is, the team no doubt is a tighter unit, but a lot of termoil and questions. Coach got flown away on private jet to Washington. Maybe Fresno comes out with a chip on their shoulder? Could be one angle. Tend to think without Haener they are in trouble. Fresno does have good RBs and maybe they gameplan a big day for them?
Think Fresno depends on matchup. I'll be fading them say playing Kent St in Boise. Can't see them having any interest in that.

Might consider fading Houston. They are solid in some respects, but not that good in others.

But Holgerson is a terrible bowl coach. 0-1 at Houston (lost straight up as 8pt fav). Go back to WVU, again terrible. He had that one great year with Geno Smith/Austin/Bailey in 2011 when they won 10 games...smashed Clemson in the 2011 Orange - BUT after that? just 1-5 SU and 0-6 ATS in bowls at WVU!

Dana Holgerson is 2-6 straight up in bowls and 1-7 ATS.

Kent State? A lot of expectations to get their first league title since 1972 to fall flat on their face. Record vs teams with winning records is just 1-3 and lost the 3 by 33, 24 and yesterday by 18. Their only win vs a team with a winning record came by 5 points (because opponent failed going for 2 twice instead of kicking xpts).

These Kent players won the 2019 bowl game, so not like this would be some big accomplishment for them to go to and win another bowl. They might be down after yesterday.

Could be some questionable motivations for the loser of the MAC Title in the bowl. Buffalo-4 did snap the streak last year beating Marshall on Christmas day after being upset by Ball St in the MAC Title. However, prior to that, the MAC game loser; 2019 CM+3 lost to SD St by 37, 2018 Buff-1 lost to Troy by 10, 2017 Akron+22.5 lost by 47 to FAU, 2016 Ohio+4.5 lost to Troy by 5, 2015 NIU+7.5 lost to Boise by 48. That was 5 straight losses. BG did lose title game and won their bowl in 2014.

Last edited:
Off top of my head in SEC for motivation:

Happy to be there: ole miss, Tennessee, UK, miss st, Arky, S Carolina

Disappointed: aub, aTm, Florida

No idea: LSU, Mizzou

Don’t know who is coaching LSU or Florida, so that may matter. We’ll see what the opt outs bring us and then obviously the matchups

Fresno is -17.5 vs UTEP. UTEP outright
It's in ABQ. Short 4 hour drive for Miners fans. They haven't been to a bowl since 2014. Should be excited to be there at least. Can't say the same for Fresno.

Lobo fans also hate Fresno. So it could be nice hfa for Utep.

The established fear with UTEP this season has been when they play better talent rosters they struggle. Fresno definitely has talent and plenty of it.

Bowls being what they are where angles and motivation can trump talent, this is a good spot for UTEP.

Good points CPA on the geographic angles.

I'm sure Fresno's #2 QB isn't bad, but he can't be close to Haener and I think motivation would be questionable for that bunch. Plus we could get opt outs.

Saw something on the ncaa transfer portal twitter, UTEP was one of I think 10 schools that have not had a single player enter the portal since August 1. That is buy-in defined.

Yeah that's the thing. Motivation is really hard to cap bowl now in bowls (if it's ever been) with op outs now.

What I'm struggling with is, does it make sense to bet these bowl games 2 weeks out, with all the uncertainty of op outs, and wait until gameday?

What I'm struggling with is, does it make sense to bet these bowl games 2 weeks out, with all the uncertainty of op outs, and wait until gameday?

I've never faced that option of betting early, but I think how I might approach it is put a portion of my wager on the team early and then again closer to game time. Kind of dollar cost averaging investment purchases.

Can Okie Lite regroup after what was potentially left on the field yesterday?

Sure, they probably would not have jumped Cincinnati, but had they beaten Baylor to win the BIG 12, at least the convo would have occurred in the committee room, no?

One has to think Okie Lite could be vulnerable to laying an egg.

***Disclaimer - I am a Sooner fan through and through so am always looking for an angle against Okie Lite and am clearly biased LOL

Can Okie Lite regroup after what was potentially left on the field yesterday?

Sure, they probably would not have jumped Cincinnati, but had they beaten Baylor to win the BIG 12, at least the convo would have occurred in the committee room, no?

One has to think Okie Lite could be vulnerable to laying an egg.

***Disclaimer - I am a Sooner fan through and through so am always looking for an angle against Okie Lite and am clearly biased LOL
I agree and what with ND has gone through with the coaching stuff, I could see a very galvanized Irish squad.

Line now 14.5 115

When I see that UTEP line move almost three that fast, tends to lend credence to something in my view as who the heck is playing heavy on that game haha

Nobody in the US can bet 5dimes anyway, I don't think. I don't even bet online, but that is where the numbers show up

Back