New Year's Six Bowls Discussion Thread

You know why David beat Goliath with that stone? It's because there was no committee telling him he couldn't fight him.

And guess what, a lot of the best sports stories in history are cinderella stories.

Agreed. That’s why I think the 12 team playoff will be good, there will inevitably be upsets and it’s possible a “Cinderella” team wins the title. They won’t be nearly the Cinderella that you see anywhere else, like NCCAB with 68 teams, or any pro sports league…but it would be a Cinderella nonetheless given the makeup of CFB.

We have had many threads on the playoff over the years…and I was always consistent with this 6 team thought.

As was mentioned, and as I would use in my reasoning in years past…you can’t have 5 Power conferences and then have a playoff with 4 teams…that just doesn’t make any sense at all. What if all 5 power conferences had an undefeated team? That possibility alone should have swayed everyone from only having a 4 team playoff.

On this we have always agreed. Never understood why they set it up the way they did, never could stand conf champs being left out regardless of record. The 5 champs and a WC the only thing that ever made any damn sense. Or I never had a issue with all 5 power champs, best group of 5 and 2 WC since 8 works better anyways. Regardless it has always been messed up and left to a subjective committee so it baffling to me this the year it makes ppl mad when teams been getting screwed every year since the inception of this. Fsu not getting screwed any worse than all the others before them cause the 4 we have in this year are all just as deserving. I don’t like that this has turned into me bashing fsu cause I agree they got hosed, I just disagree any of the 4 in are less deserving than them!

And they would have been playing each other, but it would have been for a spot in the Championship game. Irony is right. Wow.

Although any chance Texas would have jumped FSU just based on the QB situation?
Great question. We never got that far.

I assumed if FSU made it they were 3.

I never expected to play FSU.

On this we have always agreed. Never understood why they set it up the way they did, never could stand conf champs being left out regardless of record. The 5 champs and a WC the only thing that ever made any damn sense. Or I never had a issue with all 5 power champs, best group of 5 and 2 WC since 8 works better anyways. Regardless it has always been messed up and left to a subjective committee so it baffling to me this the year it makes ppl mad when teams been getting screwed every year since the inception of this. Fsu not getting screwed any worse than all the others before them cause the 4 we have in this year are all just as deserving. I don’t like that this has turned into me bashing fsu cause I agree they got hosed, I just disagree any of the 4 in are less deserving than them!

FSU’s situation is only different because they were undefeated. No other undefeated conference champion from a Power 5 conference has been left out.

I understand why given the QB situation, but them being undefeated is the difference than years past.

Agreed. That’s why I think the 12 team playoff will be good, there will inevitably be upsets and it’s possible a “Cinderella” team wins the title. They won’t be nearly the Cinderella that you see anywhere else, like NCCAB with 68 teams, or any pro sports league…but it would be a Cinderella nonetheless given the makeup of CFB.

My problem with 12 is I think it starts to kill the regular season meaning, it still better than this but I hate conf championship week being ruined as 12 teams will do:,

My problem with 12 is I think it starts to kill the regular season meaning, it still better than this but I hate conf championship week being ruined as 12 teams will do:,

Sure but then you have the opportunity for upsets and chaos, so I’m okay with it. If the question is 4 or 12, my answer is 12 every single time.

Great question. We never got that far.

I assumed if FSU made it they were 3.

I never expected to play FSU.

They wouldn’t have been 3 though right? It would have been Georgia, Michigan, Washington and then either FSU or Texas. That’s what i meant about Texas jumping them…jumping them into the top 4.

Michigan would have been playing FSU if you think FSU jumped to 3. Would have been UGA/FSU and then UM/UW if Georgia beat Bama.

FSU’s situation is only different because they were undefeated. No other undefeated conference champion from a Power 5 conference has been left out.

I understand why given the QB situation, but them being undefeated is the difference than years past.

That why it different to the ppl arguing, to me it irrelevant. Them being undefeated doesn’t make them more deserving than the 4 champs who got in. Especially when they played in what was the weakest conf this year: But again that doesn’t matter to me. I have always said every conf winner deserves to be in as that the only true way to decide a champ Imo.

They wouldn’t have been 3 though right? It would have been Georgia, Michigan, Washington and then either FSU or Texas. That’s what i meant about Texas jumping them…jumping them into the top 4.
Sorry, yes if Georgia won they would have been #4.

Grocery shopping and posting = bad combo.

Sure but then you have the opportunity for upsets and chaos, so I’m okay with it. If the question is 4 or 12, my answer is 12 every single time.

I’ve always thought 8 was ideal but I agree w you and going forward it really don’t matter cause with all this super conf crap we won’t really have a way to determine true comf champions anyways. I agree the playoff will be great and it will get better and better as it will level out the teams as kids will be willing to go to any of 20ish schools that have legit chance to make playoffs every year so the talent won’t be all sitting on bama and Uga benches!! Overall this will be better. It still makes me a bit sad they are killing what used to be the reason I loved ncaa fb so much, the regular season meaning. But life goes on, playoffs mean more money, everyone wants playoffs, end of day long as I have good games to cap and bet I’ll get over it!! Lol

What about Bama against South Florida, Texas, or Auburn?

What about Texas against a bad oklahoma team, or overtime vs kstate, or 7 point win vs houston?

Did anyone watching those games think those Bama and Texas teams looked like top four teams (other than Texas in the bama game*)?
Yup.

Of all these 6-8 teams that could win it, almost everyone of them had multiple games that make the resume very interesting.

I'm going to let you all in on a secret. I actually thought Alabama was a 2 loss team PRIOR to 4th and 31. I wasn't even considering that they would be in the discussion without winning in Atlanta.

Why? Because it felt like they had lost since Texas. They had some very uninspiring performces. Sure, they looked fantastic against one of the worst defenses in the country (LSU) and putting up incredible numbers at Kentucky.

Otherwise, the bad first half vs Tennessee. The close games against the following BAD teams:

Arkansas
USF
Auburn.
TexasAM

This isn't to rag on Bama. They won close games and were SUPERIOR to Georgia. That was a misleading final score. They are a TD+ better than UGA with Bowers and Ladd hobbled.

This is pointing all that people have to look at full bodies of work.

1. It just cannot be argued that FSU did not have one of its best wins of the entire season (arguably the best) in the championship game AFTER the QB injury. It is just hard to get around that fact.
2. I am consistent. All conference winners to the playoff. NO at large would be preferable and the only way you are ensured an objective champion. I am not just complaining this year. I have been consistently complaining.
3. The real only reason that FSU got dropped out was because the other team was Alabama. The committee could not put in Alabama and leave Texas out. Had that other team been Kentucky or Missouri, FSU was in regardless if those two teams had the exact same resume as Bama. But it was Bama.
4. I have a problem with someone saying 12 playoff teams is too many because it takes away the meaning of the regular season when FSU just went undefeated in the ACC (a conference that went 6-4 heads up against the SEC this year) and is left out of the playoff. That means their entire regular season was meaningless.
5. Oklahoma would not beat louisville by 30 most times they played (it could happen in a game of course). I am guessing that was exaggeration but still. They beat Texas though. Do you care if the win is by 30 or 4? Does that matter?
6. Someone said in this thread or another thread that UGA would have played different if they knew a loss would eliminate them. How on earth could they think otherwise with their schedule? The only correct answer as to how they could think that is "SEC bias" which is admittedly a good reason.

SEC sucked this year so are they getting credit for being the SEC all these years or getting credit for being the best conference all these years because this year would seem to make the former the case.

Unfortunately, with nothing to play for (which is like all their former games this year, they just didn't know it then) FSU will lose to whoever they play in the bowl game. Throw UTEP out there, it doesn't matter. No way those guys can be motivated.

1. It just cannot be argued that FSU did not have one of its best wins of the entire season (arguably the best) in the championship game AFTER the QB injury. It is just hard to get around that fact.
2. I am consistent. All conference winners to the playoff. NO at large would be preferable and the only way you are ensured an objective champion. I am not just complaining this year. I have been consistently complaining.
3. The real only reason that FSU got dropped out was because the other team was Alabama. The committee could not put in Alabama and leave Texas out. Had that other team been Kentucky or Missouri, FSU was in regardless if those two teams had the exact same resume as Bama. But it was Bama.
4. I have a problem with someone saying 12 playoff teams is too many because it takes away the meaning of the regular season when FSU just went undefeated in the ACC (a conference that went 6-4 heads up against the SEC this year) and is left out of the playoff. That means their entire regular season was meaningless.
5. Oklahoma would not beat louisville by 30 most times they played (it could happen in a game of course). I am guessing that was exaggeration but still. They beat Texas though. Do you care if the win is by 30 or 4? Does that matter?
6. Someone said in this thread or another thread that UGA would have played different if they knew a loss would eliminate them. How on earth could they think otherwise with their schedule? The only correct answer as to how they could think that is "SEC bias" which is admittedly a good reason.

SEC sucked this year so are they getting credit for being the SEC all these years or getting credit for being the best conference all these years because this year would seem to make the former the case.

Unfortunately, with nothing to play for (which is like all their former games this year, they just didn't know it then) FSU will lose to whoever they play in the bowl game. Throw UTEP out there, it doesn't matter. No way those guys can be motivated.
:VKSHAKE:

It's emblematic of the total feminization of our culture (I'm fairly serious ha) - talking more about the acceptance of voting to decide who's best - since it's been done forever....

Rather than FIGHT - like MEN do - let's sit around and talk about it = total bullshit.

The real problem with it of course, is that it goes against our (supposed) intrinsic values of > human spirit - value/worth - competition. "I'm gonna DENY you a chance to compete - because you don't fit my preconceived and BIASED notions of what a champion looks like".

** BTW - referring to voting on who's best - not discussing it here ha

Last edited:
Missouri needs to be bet before it gets any higher. -2 now. Bucks QB is gone and I bet both WR will sit.

Coach Drink is a schmuck but he’s never won a bowl game, he’ll be highly motivated. Most of Mizzou’s best players are not draft eligible (Luther) or not big NFL prospects (the RB) so I expect most everyone to play.

Also easy drive to Dallas from KC/MO.

Back