Bowl Games Discussion Thread (NOT CFP or New Year's Six)

Who knows the motivation for any of the teams these days in bowl games. Pretty much a crap shoot. As well as who's gonna play and who's not.

Other than just maybe browsing and getting a general idea diesht seem like it makes much such ti try and get out ahead any numbers these days, unless you have a real good idea a team gonna be missing lot of guys and line gonna move. Shit ain’t like it used to be where I’d want to grab early numbers cause I thought there was value, you do that now days and ya get stuck with a line moving a td the wrong way! Lol

Have to keep an eye on transfers and opt outs as well as coaching changes. These are the last games for awhile so I'll be interested even if the product isn't very good.

Bowl games have lost almost all their luster and appeal for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread - with players opting out and transferring it becomes a chore to wager rather than an enjoyable endeavor. Minor league pro football with free agency is not a good prduct

So ODU/Western Kentucky:

3 of the 5 starting OL have entered the portal for Western Kentucky. One of the backup QBs as well. I've heard rumors that their starting QB will enter the portal as well.

ODU will be down a few as well, but the impact seems much less severe. They lost their best safety to the portal. The All american LB is injured and wont play. They lost a WR that lost his spot but was around 3rd in production this year. The rest are guys that did not play.

Im not hearing a ton of more losses for ODU yet, but I expect this line to move in ODUs favor.

I was looking for to playing against WVU. They built up a fraudulent record with wins vs Duquesne, Pitt (okay at time), Texas Tech, TCU, UCF,Cinci and Baylor.

Wished they had drawn an upstart lookin to make a name and not the Heels.

I was looking for to playing against WVU. They built up a fraudulent record with wins vs Duquesne, Pitt (okay at time), Texas Tech, TCU, UCF,Cinci and Baylor.

Wished they had drawn an upstart lookin to make a name and not the Heels.
Interesting

I will say, they were one of my money makers the last 6-7 weeks.

Also liked the fact they went ahead and changed two bowls after they were already announced. Duke/UCF was announced and I laughed because it was a rematch from last year's bowl season.

2 hours later they realized hey wait we don't want a rematch from last year, so the flipped Duke and Georgia Tech.

McMurphy tweeted this:
There are 39 non-playoff bowls. Only 13 bowls did not have a team lose either its head coach, OC/DC, or starting QB to transfer portal, opt out or injury. 13 of 39!!! And I'm sure that number will decrease in the coming days when more opt outs are announced

Both of Utah's starting safeties have declared for the draft and one corner(their weakest one) has entered the portal. Barnes has entered the portal as well but he will likely start the Vegas bowl.

I know very little about who will be in the secondary. Proceed with caution if you were contemplating Utah in this one.

So ODU/Western Kentucky:

3 of the 5 starting OL have entered the portal for Western Kentucky. One of the backup QBs as well. I've heard rumors that their starting QB will enter the portal as well.

ODU will be down a few as well, but the impact seems much less severe. They lost their best safety to the portal. The All american LB is injured and wont play. They lost a WR that lost his spot but was around 3rd in production this year. The rest are guys that did not play.

Im not hearing a ton of more losses for ODU yet, but I expect this line to move in ODUs favor.
As of now Reed is playing but all 5? Of WKUs starting OL are in the portal? Last year- same thing happened and they all either came back or played in the bowl. Will see what happens this year

Best active coaches against the spread in bowl games since 2005:

Dabo Swinney 12-7 ATS
Mike Gundy 11-6
Kirk Ferentz 9-5-1 ATS
Hugh Freeze 7-1 ATS
James Franklin 7-4 ATS
Kirby Smart 6-3 ATS
Butch Jones 5-1 ATS
Greg Schiano 5-1-1 ATS
Chuck Martin 4-0 ATS

Data per @Bet_Labs

The whole world is getting shafted by not having a game in the Bahamas. I only found out last night. So that game is in Charlotte this year instead of the Bahamas? That's like booking a vacation to Hawaii and ending up on a bass pond in Southern Colorado.

How was NM State able to pull off a 13-game regular season schedule? Why was playing Hawaii significant to such?

I'm probably missing something on this.

Reports are coming out that Reed is not playing

Is Reed out? I see everything saying likely out. He's worth several points may need to wait until coverage begins...

ODU has good motivation for this one?

Last edited:
Also, WKU was one of the worst 2h teams I've seen this season. Multiple 2Hs blowing leads and scoring 0 points. WKU one of those teams ever since Mike White and the way they used to be a cover machine that always peaked my interest.

Combined I think both teams may have won 3 of last 12 games. Both collapsed after decent starts. Why did line move so much?

Is Reed out? I see everything saying likely out. He's worth several points may need to wait until coverage begins...

ODU has good motivation for this one?
I just have a hard time seeing ODU beating anyone regardless of name on the jersey by a touchdown since they haven't done it all season. Not even sure I can wager on it unless it's live. Reed is out but I think a lot of QBs can step in and play in their system.

I just have a hard time seeing ODU beating anyone regardless of name on the jersey by a touchdown since they haven't done it all season. Not even sure I can wager on it unless it's live. Reed is out but I think a lot of QBs can step in and play in their system.

I've seen bad teams like LATech go up and down the field on them without any resistance.... but yeah I wish it was a better team than ODU.

Well damn, I was thinking maybe the under but it’s dropped 7 points from open, at 49- I am more skeptical

Glad I got in on this early when the reports initially came out. WKY is out Reed, the backup QB, 3 interior OL and 3 defenders.

Do they have motivation? Probably no more than other teams. Only a handful of players have been to a bowl on the team so maybe thats motivation. They are missing 2 key defenders (Henderson, Jones) but the backups are competent. They are missing a rotation WR. I think Calloway is playing (big, if so). They dont' have much that is in the portal so Im not concerned with being out a bunch of guys like WKY is.

They haven't beaten anyone by a TD. Valid comment. I may not be on it as strong at -7 as I am when it was +2.5. Heck, I really like -3 if thats where people get in at.

They are not a great team and they are going to look ugly at times. Having said that, the Sun Belt is pretty tough. They had a good OOC schedule with Liberty, VT, Wake, and Tx Commerce.

The outlier game was Tx Commerce, which they should have blown out. They got blown out by Liberty. The other games were solid teams and competitive games. Cant really expect them to win by double digits vs. anyone on their schedule outside of Commerce.

Best of luck to anyone that is playing it. I like ODU a good bit here. They have continuity. They compete. I don't think they will go through the motions. They don't have significant talent in the portal outside of 1 guy.

Well damn, I was thinking maybe the under but it’s dropped 7 points from open, at 49- I am more skeptical
The weather was supposed to be bad but the forecast has improved. I kinda like the over, but probably feel better about ODU TT over

Combined I think both teams may have won 3 of last 12 games. Both collapsed after decent starts. Why did line move so much?
ODU didn't collapse after a decent start. They won the last 2 games to get bowl eligible. They did have a 3 game losing streak before that, but that was @Liberty, @JMU, and home to Coastal.

The utsa line has skyrocketed as well. 12.5 is getting a bit out of hand. Marshall QB is out correct?

Last edited:
Weird movement all around
It's been the worst line to read in the last month for me. Guessing it won't be the last as more opt outs and likely suspensions come in but yak at this one. Think I might just wait for a slow start hopefully then take over if anything.

It's been the worst line to read in the last month for me. Guessing it won't be the last as more opt outs and likely suspensions come in but yak at this one. Think I might just wait for a slow start hopefully then take over if anything.

Any plus money on ODU would be good I would think…

Also, WKU was one of the worst 2h teams I've seen this season. Multiple 2Hs blowing leads and scoring 0 points. WKU one of those teams ever since Mike White and the way they used to be a cover machine that always peaked my interest.
Exactly regarding the Mike White era. Entertaining football program.

Too many uncertainties with the game line, but I do think we’ve seen an overreaction and there’s some value with WKU. That being said, I can’t see ODU getting to 28 points and Under 27.5 will most likely be my play.

I added over.

I looked at ODUs scores and considered that WKY is one of the weaker defenses they have faced.

VT- 17 points
Louisiana - 38
Wake- 24 (defense carried them here)
Commerce 10 (windy game, starter pulled)
Marshall- 35
Southern Miss- 17
App State- 28
JMU- 27
Coastal- 24
Liberty- 10
Georgia Southern-20
Georgia State- 25

My concern is that WKY may go to a conservative game plan and slow the game down. WKY defense gives up 428 yards a game on 5.8 ypa. They give up almost 4.8 ypc on the ground. If they cannot stop the ODU run game, they are in for a long day as ODU will gash them with big plays on the ground and catch them with some deep passes. Their pass defense is a bit better.

The biggest concern I have for the ODU offense is a defense that has pass rushers and teams that can stop the run with their base 6 defenders in the box, allowing them to have 5 players in coverage and a safety shading one side. IF WKY can do that, ODU wont score much. Im banking on them having to put more players in the box to stop the run and ODU is gonna hit a couple deep plays through the air.

Best of luck to all!

UTSA placing some real importance on the game tonight including Harris last game. Marshall is not good. Weather is a non-factor. Feels too easy.

KSAT:
The last time UTSA and Marshall faced off was as Conference USA rivals in 2018, when the Thundering Herd handed the Roadrunners a 23-0 shutout loss. The following season, the Frank Harris era began.

UTSA finished the 2018 season with a 3-9 overall record.

But since then, the Roadrunners have pieced together four winning seasons, with the exception of 2019. This year, UTSA is trying to accomplish something it hasn’t before, finishing their year with a bowl game victory.

“It’s important for us,” UTSA Head Football Coach Jeff Traylor said. “There’s only a few things left in this program that we haven’t done and this is one of those things we haven’t done. So for us it takes on a level of importance that’s probably more than most programs.”

Back