Bowl Games Discussion Thread (NOT CFP or New Year's Six)

UTSA placing some real importance on the game tonight including Harris last game. Marshall is not good. Weather is a non-factor. Feels too easy.

KSAT:
The last time UTSA and Marshall faced off was as Conference USA rivals in 2018, when the Thundering Herd handed the Roadrunners a 23-0 shutout loss. The following season, the Frank Harris era began.

UTSA finished the 2018 season with a 3-9 overall record.

But since then, the Roadrunners have pieced together four winning seasons, with the exception of 2019. This year, UTSA is trying to accomplish something it hasn’t before, finishing their year with a bowl game victory.

“It’s important for us,” UTSA Head Football Coach Jeff Traylor said. “There’s only a few things left in this program that we haven’t done and this is one of those things we haven’t done. So for us it takes on a level of importance that’s probably more than most programs.”

I do like the Harris last game after a 15 year career motivation angle, not to mention you would think a 30 year old should have a edge! Lmao.

Mentioned this in @Br@ssknux thread, I could be wrong but I think Marshall qb transferring and opening the door for a legends kid to play this game might have them a little more fired up than otherwise. Pennington name should bring instant credibility and a desire to compete. Doesn’t mean they are as good, I don’t even know whether he brings close to, more, or less talent than the kid who transferred? Basically why I have not been focusing much on these games as feels like a scratch off ticket to a extent as I don’t know anyone who knows Pennington or how he has looked in practice,? The one huge fear I would have laying double digits here is for all Marshall faults they have one the best red zone defenses in the country, I have no doubt Harris will move the ball between the 20s, I just don’t know if they will punch the chances in? Of course Pennington could struggle so much that they give utsa multiple short fields and extra chances??? Again no clue what we get from him, the name does inspire a bit more confidence than I would have if it was anyone else! The other thing, let’s just say Pennington is comparable to the qb who transferred he just a year younger which why he didn’t start which I think a reasonable assumption, Marshall offense was almost as terrible scoring in the red zone as the d was good at preventing tds. Again the Pennington name makes me think he will convert at a better clip than the other guy, not to mention utsa red zone d is among the worst in the country. I have no doubt utsa the better team, will probably have a significant yardage and 1st down advantage, but I still see a world where it could be flirting with the number thanks to a bunch of fgs.

I do like the Harris last game after a 15 year career motivation angle, not to mention you would think a 30 year old should have a edge! Lmao.

Mentioned this in @Br@ssknux thread, I could be wrong but I think Marshall qb transferring and opening the door for a legends kid to play this game might have them a little more fired up than otherwise. Pennington name should bring instant credibility and a desire to compete. Doesn’t mean they are as good, I don’t even know whether he brings close to, more, or less talent than the kid who transferred? Basically why I have not been focusing much on these games as feels like a scratch off ticket to an extent as I don’t know anyone who knows Pennington or how he has looked in practice,? The one huge fear I would have laying double digits here is for all Marshall faults they have one the best red zone defenses in the country, I have no doubt Harris will move the ball between the 20s, I just don’t know if they will punch the chances in? Of course Pennington could struggle so much that they give utsa multiple short fields and extra chances??? Again no clue what we get from him, the name does inspire a bit more confidence than I would have if it was anyone else! The other thing, let’s just say Pennington is comparable to the qb who transferred he just a year younger which why he didn’t start which I think a reasonable assumption, Marshall offense was almost as terrible scoring in the red zone as the d was good at preventing tds. Again the Pennington name makes me think he will convert at a better clip than the other guy, not to mention utsa red zone d is among the worst in the country. I have no doubt utsa the better team, will probably have a significant yardage and 1st down advantage, but I still see a world where it could be flirting with the number thanks to a bunch of fgs.
As there been a more unpredictable Bowl season? Yesterday’s game made me pump the breaks. Even early live ingame is too unpredictable. After the 1st qrtr who wouldn’t have thought WKU was unmotivated while ODU came to play? These backup QBs have shown in the Ohio that he was just as good as the starter and the 4th string WKU QB was better than the 3rd string. If I’ve ever seen a recipe for disaster, it’s betting large on these games. Fun as hell to try and cap but absolutely no clue on how these backup QBs are going to come out. This Marshall spread seems way too large not to take a little ML on them.

As there been a more unpredictable Bowl season? Yesterday’s game made me pump the breaks. Even early live ingame is too unpredictable. After the 1st qrtr who wouldn’t have thought WKU was unmotivated while ODU came to play? These backup QBs have shown in the Ohio that he was just as good as the starter and the 4th string WKU QB was better than the 3rd string. If I’ve ever seen a recipe for disaster, it’s betting large on these games. Fun as hell to try and cap but absolutely no clue on how these backup QBs are going to come out. This Marshall spread seems way too large not to take a little ML on them.

I ignored yesterdays game, never looked at a prop or anything. Saw line move so assumed wku had a qb hit portal. Pretty sure I heard the kid they brought in down 28-0 is also in portal cause wku planned on making him a tight end next year? And he throws for 400 yards and brings them back?!?! Shit insane! Last year I managed to have really good run with props all way thru the bowls, I was a good 20 games above .500 before making bunch of plays during playoffs, have no clue after that. Did fine was just ton of plays and lots of splitting so didn’t even add it all together.

Anyways the crazy thing was half the damn plays I lost wasn’t cause bad capping, it was cause I played a replacement for a transfer, everything i read said he was gonna be the guy, the matchup was fantastic, several of them DK only offered a number for the guy I was lead to believe was gonna get the playing time. Let me tell you this, there a lot of ways to lose bets, sometimes im just so wrong I can’t do anything but laugh, sometimes the coach is such a fucjing moron his team and my ticket sink together with his dumb fuck play calling! In those cases i try to temper my anger hoping he gets fired and his wife leaves him for a winner!! There the always bummer kid gets hurt but what can ya do? The list goes on and on, but the absolute worst? When you capped a matchup so well the position you bet kid over hits in the 1st qrtr, hits it again in 2nd qrtr, ends up brsskung the bowl all time record and it’s not the running back/qb/wr you were told was gonna play, it some Mfer you not only never heard of but the book didn’t even give a line on him!!!! For all the times I’ve sat around laughing at oddsmakers over some stupid line I cashed before halftime I almost had to tip my cap thinking they played me only offering the number on the kid everyone said was gonna replace the transfer!!! I don’t even know if they did it intentional or just believed the same info I had got?? The cherry on top was they would always throw in the kid you thought was gonna get the ball for 3-4 plays just to make sure the bet counted!! Mfers wouidnt even hand off to him, they run play action or something like they really rubbing it in!! Lol. I swore this year i would not get suckered into this but it prob gonna lead to far less plays. Lol

I ignored yesterdays game, never looked at a prop or anything. Saw line move so assumed wku had a qb hit portal. Pretty sure I heard the kid they brought in down 28-0 is also in portal cause wku planned on making him a tight end next year? And he throws for 400 yards and brings them back?!?! Shit insane! Last year I managed to have really good run with props all way thru the bowls, I was a good 20 games above .500 before making bunch of plays during playoffs, have no clue after that. Did fine was just ton of plays and lots of splitting so didn’t even add it all together.

Anyways the crazy thing was half the damn plays I lost wasn’t cause bad capping, it was cause I played a replacement for a transfer, everything i read said he was gonna be the guy, the matchup was fantastic, several of them DK only offered a number for the guy I was lead to believe was gonna get the playing time. Let me tell you this, there a lot of ways to lose bets, sometimes im just so wrong I can’t do anything but laugh, sometimes the coach is such a fucjing moron his team and my ticket sink together with his dumb fuck play calling! In those cases i try to temper my anger hoping he gets fired and his wife leaves him for a winner!! There the always bummer kid gets hurt but what can ya do? The list goes on and on, but the absolute worst? When you capped a matchup so well the position you bet kid over hits in the 1st qrtr, hits it again in 2nd qrtr, ends up brsskung the bowl all time record and it’s not the running back/qb/wr you were told was gonna play, it some Mfer you not only never heard of but the book didn’t even give a line on him!!!! For all the times I’ve sat around laughing at oddsmakers over some stupid line I cashed before halftime I almost had to tip my cap thinking they played me only offering the number on the kid everyone said was gonna replace the transfer!!! I don’t even know if they did it intentional or just believed the same info I had got?? The cherry on top was they would always throw in the kid you thought was gonna get the ball for 3-4 plays just to make sure the bet counted!! Mfers wouidnt even hand off to him, they run play action or something like they really rubbing it in!! Lol. I swore this year i would not get suckered into this but it prob gonna lead to far less plays. Lol
There must be some recent info coming in because this line continues to plummet.

Now rumors are out there that Harris is only playing the first quarter. Haha definitely one to bet live.

He has no draft stock to protect. Why wouldn’t he want to play the whole game in his last game? The CFL doesn’t care if he gets injured tonight.

He has no draft stock to protect. Why wouldn’t he want to play the whole game in his last game? The CFL doesn’t care if he gets injured tonight.
No clue, rumors of the flu, COVID...you know how twitter works

This the culmination of his 15 year ncaa career! Makes no sense, he had to fall down stairs on way in?

Apparently We Are with Pennington def has the motivational edge! Bet he excited to play, I can’t believe I wasted so much time trying to figure props out with Harris and his wrs and this pole smoker decided he can’t be bothered??

Apparently We Are with Pennington def has the motivational edge! Bet he excited to play, I can’t believe I wasted so much time trying to figure props out with Harris and his wrs and this pole smoker decided he can’t be bothered??
Most plausible rumor is he's pretty sick but he's planning to play a quarter to honor his time there. Sounds like he shouldn't be playing at all.

Most plausible rumor is he's pretty sick but he's planning to play a quarter to honor his time there. Sounds like he shouldn't be playing at all.

I have a feeling Pennington is about to show the world being a baller runs in the family!! No sense taking +8 so I just played little We Are ml. Now I think their defensive strength holding teams in red zone has way more meaning.

I have a feeling Pennington is about to show the world being a baller runs in the family!! No sense taking +8 so I just played little We Are ml. Now I think their defensive strength holding teams in red zone has way more meaning.
I don't think Marshall score more than 10 pts, like Brass. Question is can UTSA score more than 10 once harris is out. UTSA still has the MUCH better defense even with a stud not playing and motivation to win their first bowl game will be tremendous.

Young Pennington might be landscaping by next season lol

I don't think Marshall score more than 10 pts, like Brass. Question is can UTSA score more than 10 once harris is out. UTSA still has the MUCH better defense even with a stud not playing and motivation to win their first bowl game will be tremendous.

Young Pennington might be landscaping by next season lol

We see. Utsa has one the worst red zone d in the country. Marshall biggest problem (Of many) is they don’t punch in red zone chances. Pennigton will spark them inside the 20 against a d among worst in country holding teams out of endzone, Utsa settles for fgs, We Are gets a jolt from a legends kid. Just a matter If Pennington can get them into the red zone! lol

Trust me I’m not being real serious here. I did lean Marshall w the +12 but I was just planning on Harris Alf line and his wr McCiun ov 40. Really bummer bout Harris

Down to -7 -05.

Pennington man, it was gonna be a better one than ppl were thinking imo, just cause Marshall red zone d been very tough: I expected Harris to drive in them all day but have to settle on 3s., don’t think Marshall will move the ball as often but utsa d is basically the exact opposite and allows everyone to get 7. Pennington will bring that grit that gets them into the end zone the few times they can muster a drive! Yards could be all kinds of lopsided, guys on utsa prob walk away feeling cheated but that tends to happen this time of year. Didn’t think Harris would let them lose but if he nor playing I dunno. It not like utsa some crazy good team, they beat up a bunch of crappy teams, so what,

I didn’t even do our feee one but im sure this woulda been in 30s I’d think. Wanna say we used to be able ri move? I’d move down without Harris
I still don't know if or when Harris is playing, hell the Thamel tweet doesn't provoke a lot of confidence when he says he's "considered unlikely to play" but they won't know until after warmups, then blames it on injuries all season when most everyone else has already been reporting it's likely the flu or something similar.

In other words, it's a live bet only for me.

I still don't know if or when Harris is playing, hell the Thamel tweet doesn't provoke a lot of confidence when he says he's "considered unlikely to play" but they won't know until after warmups, then blames it on injuries all season when most everyone else has already been reporting it's likely the flu or something similar.

Homestky im just glad I didn’t play props then he went out there for 1 series and fucjed me

I think the reality of this bowl season is that you are better off playing the 2nd WR or underclassmen QB than any of the proven stars that are draft eligible. Saw this with Corley yesterday and I think we will see a lot of 1 half performances and then hang it up. I’m in on the McCuin prop. McCown did just fine in the Tennessee game when Frank got hurt. They are still going to move the ball.

Fwiw my confidence pick was on Marshall being a bottom 5 of all bowl teams fade on not on UTSA. Lol this thing is all over the map.

I hsvnt capoed or watched a Marshall game all year, didht look at this till today. I saw a path for Marshall to stay within the dd spread just by winning the red zone and holding utsa to fgs, along with the total guess just maybe Pennington isn’t bad. Certainly wasn’t anything I wanted to bet. I liked Harris pass prop and mcciun ov 40 rec. that was bout it. Not real interested in any these things but now I got the Pennington plus money fever! Lol

I bet 20 bucks on the ml, Pennington yards and 1.4 tds. Something to do. Lol
I have enough on baskets to keep me entertained tonight and that's without a wager on the Marq/PC game yet

Treating this game like yesterday. No way in hell I wanted anything to do with WKU pregame but then after they came back to 28-14 I pretty much had to take them live. This might be the same thing.

I think the reality of this bowl season is that you are better off playing the 2nd WR or underclassmen QB than any of the proven stars that are draft eligible. Saw this with Corley yesterday and I think we will see a lot of 1 half performances and then hang it up. I’m in on the McCuin prop. McCown did just fine in the Tennessee game when Frank got hurt. They are still going to move the ball.

Yeah, McCown can play and I expect we'd see some good things from him tonight. Who knows how hurt Harris really is.

Traylor's dream scenario is to be up 28-13 with the ball and a minute left. Put Harris in to take the last snap, then take a knee and end his career as such.

I have enough on baskets to keep me entertained tonight and that's without a wager on the Marq/PC game yet

Treating this game like yesterday. No way in hell I wanted anything to do with WKU pregame but then after they came back to 28-14 I pretty much had to take them live. This might be the same thing.

That game was everything bout why I didn’t even bother playing ctg free confidence pool! Not cause wku won but just all the circumstances was a spot on take bout the way things are this year. Line starts pick, I assume one wku qb and/or some other players let it be known they out so it climbs to 4ish, I imagine chasers of steam or the news continue pushing it till it bumps into 7 where pretty much any game will meet some resistance. The team everyone pounded Jumps out 28-0 and I’m sure there a bunch of early celebrating. Wku then calls on a kid I believe is also in the portal cause they were planning to move him to te and he was td ti play qb. But he sticks around for game and proceeds to throw for 400 yards and crushes the dreams of all the assholes who thought they had a easy winner. Of course there prob a few sharp cats that started trying to middle at the very least live, others sat around contemplating how to kill
themselves! Lol., whoever had that one capped properly take a bow!! Lmao.

The only reason I’m bummed I’ve only made few bowl plays (and lost those) is cause I’ve seen several dogs coming in and typically I tend to play dogs in these crappy ass early bowl games.

Not like the backup for UTSA is just pure shit, he played pretty well against Tennessee this year

That what I’m saying for Pennington!! Of course that kinda been my point all day, I used to feel like I could make educated guesses on these things, now they feel like scratch offs!

Pennington has been pretty bad this season - thrown 6 picks without a touchdown in 3 games. 3 of the picks were in the last game he played.

UTSA still playing with a lot of motivation, or should be at least. If they're really want to get an elusive bowl win they'll cover the 7 even w/o Harris.

This has become the most interesting game thus far in the young bowl season for me. Really nothing would surprise me other than UTSA defense giving up significant points to the Herd. 1st bowl win is a massive thing.

This has become the most interesting game thus far in the young bowl season for me. Really nothing would surprise me other than UTSA defense giving up significant points to the Herd. 1st bowl win is a massive thing.
Second half yesterday was pretty fun

Reactions: KJ
Last 4 bowl games...

Boise led 16-7... UCLA won 35-22
Cal led 14-0... Texas Tech won 34-14
ODU led 28-0... Western Kentucky won 38-35
Marshall led 14-0... UTSA won 35-17

Back