Boston/Chicago series discussion

SF_capper

CTG addict
Was thinking about this series and wanted to here others' opinions on how you think the series will go and what we've learned from the first 2

based on the recent history, i'd say that this series will end in 6, with chicago winning... boston looks so disjointed and lackadaisical on defense. bulls' strong bench will be the difference maker, imo.

Well, it has been a great series so far. Both games coming down to last second shots. Great performances individually. Rondo triple dip and a great game one. Ray's second half tonight. Gordon in an absolute zone. Boston does look slow at times. Pierce looks really old so far in this series. Not sure whats up. Just doesn't look the same as even a few weeks ago. Rondo's ankle will be a big thing. Powe, Perkins and Big Baby stay out of foul trouble and they can do a lot against this front line. Big key in the UC will be for Boston to limit transition for Chicago. That killed them at times tonight. For Boston to steal one there they need to be patient, keep rebounding and stay out of foul trouble. I hope they inflate the total a bit for Game 3 so I can hop on the under.

agree with bar..celts just don;t look right, reminds me of Stons a little when they jsut thought they could turn it on whenever from 05-08..they got away with it a couple times but got burned most of time..I see the same wit the celts, if not this series, definitely the next one...Chicago jsut seems to be the hungrier team after 2.

Both games have gone down to the final seconds

Game 1: Boston had no answer for DRose. Despite Rose going absolutely insane and Ray allen hitting complete blanks, Chicago still needed a missed Pierce FT to force OT where Tyrus hit huge shots. Both teams couldnt make a 3 all game and Thomas making the 3 jumpers in OT was the difference
Game 2: I guess Boston's gameplan worked to limit Rose keeping him to 10 pts. Like the pro shooters that they are Ray allen and Ben Gordon took it upon themselves to shoot better than their horrible game 1s and both were on fire. Ray allen completely redeemed himself with late heroics while Pierce wasn't spectacular. Boston had 21 offensive rebounds which helped them outrebound by 14. I havnt watched this game yet, but just from looking at the boxscores, it would not have seemed like a close game at all:
Boston taking 16 more FGA, getting 14 more rebounds, getting 6 more assists. FTA and turnovers were around even and both improved from 3. I guess the main reason it was this close was chicago's 90% form FT vs Boston's 68- which should be expected from the better FT% team and the 14 Chicago blocks

I've been extremely amazed by Chicago's backcourt now averaging 54 PPG bw rose and gordon these 2 games. Equally amazed by Rondo who has been Boston's best player. Salmons's D has been impressive limiting Pierce- although I'm not sure if its more Salmons's D or Pierce's issue.

Chicago's resiliency has been incredible as they easily could've just bent over after the fast Boston start and head home 1-1, but they turned it up and could've won.

I don't expect Salmons to be much of a positive factor for chicago in this series. He takes too many bad iso jump shots which doesnt play well into playoff basketball.

For the remaining games, we have yet to see how Boston will handle the road. Last yr they couldn't handle the road early on whether it was inexperience or just relaxation of having HCA. They no longer have HCA.. You'd expect Chicago to packed fully and the bulls to feed off the energy, but we saw what expectations/pressure/and a big crowd can do to a young team with Portland game 1.
Powe went down game 2 and I don't know his condition for game 3 and on- his presence, esp with KG out is big as it leaves more time for Moore. In both games, Boston's entire bench has been - when on the floor while the starters have been +. I doubt this can continue on the road and expect Boston to win. Pierce and Allen shouldn't have to play 40+ minutes to let Boston have a chance

biggest questions for me when capping game 3 and on:
-Will Pierce turn it on? Without their superstar- Boston cannot expect to win in a hostile environment
-how does Chicago react to the pressure of the home crowd?
-how does Boston react to the pressure of Chicago's crowd?

agreed- Boston not playing with the intensity and hunger we're used to seeing from them- I'm sure a lot of it is due to KG gone. do u guys think they turn it up on the road?

Boston will steal at least 1...they are just inconsistent...curious to see how game 3 goes.

I still think Celtics gonna win ( serie) SU - but loss ATS -

Just like LY in the the LAK / BOS championship gms -Money pouring on the LAK and Celtics bettors just enjoy the cash ...

My guess CHI -1.5 ( depending on Rondo injury ) in GM 3 & BOS win SU

? I'm starting to think we see a huge swing along the lines of (pinny) Chicago -3 -110/Chicago -3.5 -103. Maybe a BM open of Chicago -3 that gets hit up to 3.5 at open. I'm starting to think we see a Chicago game 3 blowout and a very very close game 4.
Rondo's ankle is probably the biggest ? although I do still expect to see the line open 2m at 1240 PST.

Chicago had nothing to lose in the first 2 games, but now the pressure is on with 2 home games.

We all saw how flat Portland came out, so itll be up to Salmons and Miller to set the tempo early for the young Bulls.

Pierce couldnt play worse if he wanted, so I expect him to play better in Chicago.

Gonna say the C's will split in Chicago, maybe steal game 3.

but now the pressure is on with 2 home games.

Yes. They were able to play loosey-goosey in Boston. Tonight was like a free game for them.

Interested to see how the Chicago crowd is. Seemed ike every game I watched on TV this year at the UC the crowd was very quiet. I will say the one exception I saw was the furious rally against the Rockets.

Celtics look old and slow right now. Ray & Paul are getting beat off the dribble like there is no tomorrow and now that KG is not back to there to help block shots Chicago is getting to the hole with ease. They have no one who can guard Rose.

Chicago played a bit sloppy last night as well 3 or 4 possesions on fast breaks I saw them screw up and get no points out of it. The Celts have to be feeling real lucky right now and I think the pressure has now switched to Bulls especially with being at home. Hopefully they keep driving to the hoop and keep the tempo fast paced. I do not think C's can stay with them as this series starts getting into the later games 5,6 & 7, their bench is playing extended minutes already.

Celts in 7 IMO.

Bulls ain't winning in Boston again, and Boston will get one in Chi-town (likely Game 4). Bulls will probably have one cold game from the perimeter at home and that should do them in. Boston does have to step up their perimeter defense in a big way; letting Gordon go off like that is inexcusable. Time for Pierce to step up and be the best player in this series. Bulls look like a damn good team right now but I just don't see Boston going down when push comes to shove against this team. That said, if their D doesn't dramatically improve, nothing else matters b/c they're gonna get burned and lose in 6.

This series reminds me alot of the Heat/Bulls series from 3 or so years ago. Where the Bulls beat them.

First of all, you gotta remember that Boston is a MUCH better team than the Bulls and they have an experienced coach (maybe not the greatest) versus a rookie.

I don't think Boston needs to "steal" a game in Chicago, as they are good enough to be expected to win both games regardless of how they opened the series.

I will preface this that I am a Celtics fan, but fanhood would not keep me from getting some cash as I faded them last year against the Cavs in game 3 of the Eastern Conf. Finals.

...I am VERY worried that the C's didn't blow the Bulls out of game 2. It seemed to me that if they dominated them, then it would be clear that the C's were back. They didn't do that, and didn't do enough to play D on Ben Gordon, who may be a bit too quick for Pierce (Boston's best defender) to lock down.

I still think the C's win this series and I would be VERY surprised if they don't win one in Chitown, or maybe both.

I'll be on Chicago 4th Qs on both home games. They definitely bring the heat during that quarter for numerous games I've been on. GL SF

bulls have got their tempo both games and have been the more athletic team. i thought they would lose by dd last night but after seeing the way they lost with the bulls not getting that late rebound by allen tipping it back out and nailing that 3 who knows how that effects them.

they are the most mentally weak team in the nba.

crowd will be in all red for game 3 for whatever that's worth.

also, salmon's groin is still bothering him. his jumpshot is awful right now.

This series reminds me alot of the Heat/Bulls series from 3 or so years ago. Where the Bulls beat them.

+1.

Doc needs to make some adjustments fast or they're gonna be watching playoffs only from TV very soon, cause I've seen Bulls play better basketball in first 2 games, and now they get home court advantage as well which makes a world of difference for energy team like Chicago. A lot will depend on Rondo's health of course and Pierce stepping up, he looked anything but Finals MVP so far. Still, without Garnett and Powe, Bulls' average (at best) big guys do what they like in paint and I'm not sure how he can fix that. As they can't outmatch them in paint, which is the easiest way to beat Bulls, I'm not sure they can do it by outrunning them. Without low post presence for both teams I expect them both to keep running and that we'll see couple of more overs untill bookies make bigger adjustments.

bulls have got their tempo both games and have been the more athletic team. i thought they would lose by dd last night but after seeing the way they lost with the bulls not getting that late rebound by allen tipping it back out and nailing that 3 who knows how that effects them.

they are the most mentally weak team in the nba.

crowd will be in all red for game 3 for whatever that's worth.

also, salmon's groin is still bothering him. his jumpshot is awful right now.

I get this feeling that we wont be able to help in more than 1 game this series on offense. He's already kind of hurt them in both games, game 1 for sure on offense. When I watch him play he doesn't seem to play smart and his tendencies of being the only scorer on a bad team keep showing up (from his sacramento days)
--this is a similar problem that I see Mayo developing

Sharpshooter nails it. The key to a Boston win is taking advantage of Chicago's weakness in the paint. Without KG and now Powe, they are relying on Glen Davis, Kendrick Perkins, Mikki Moore and rookie Bill Walker. (Yeah, I do think he'll see playing time.)

THAT'S the key right there. How are they going to perform?

You can make a case that the Celtic big men did a great job Monday, out rebounding 50-36. Second chance points 32-12. Great, all signs would point to a blowout, yet the Bulls were within seconds of sweeping Boston in Boston!

Chicago has been the more athletic team thus far, no doubt. Pile on the injuries and I'm concerned about Celtic psyche.

For a guy with a Celtics series future, I'm very worried. I'm still waiting for Boston to put together a complete game. When they do, they got this series locked up, but the more and more they let Chicago hang around, or even worse, the longer they continue to get outplayed by Chicago, Marlo's throwback to the Miami series from 06 will appear to be closer and closer to reality.

UPDATE: 4/22

Rondo is expected to play with a sprained right ankle. Rivers says the swelling is down.

Brian Scalabrine is cleared to play after suffering three concussions this season.

Stephon Marbury and Tony Allen spent the day watching film, then working on shooting. Rivers says both could play a big role in Game 3.

Not at first. He left on his own and then went and started bashing CTG somewhere else and was then banned. :cheers:

Gotcha. :) thanks for explanation. Was never really sure what to make of the guy...one of those people you'd like to meet just once to see if he was really full of it or not...thanks again...

Gotcha. :) thanks for explanation. Was never really sure what to make of the guy...one of those people you'd like to meet just once to see if he was really full of it or not...thanks again...

of course he was full of it.

:cheers: to CTG for getting rid of that fuckstick

UPDATE: 4/23

Scalabrine will play in Game 3. The last time Scalabrine returned from injury, he struggled against Utah, fouling out in less than 12 minutes, then scored a season-high 14 points as a starter against Phoenix and was reinjured as a starter against Denver. In a Boston Globe interview, he says he's ready to go.

"I have the benefit of seeing the last two games and we've been going over Chicago for a week now. So I'm comfortable with what we need to do. Our bigs have to be solid. We're asking our bigs to do a lot, going out on Rose and trapping on Gordon, and that's not an easy task to do. And we've just got to be aware of that and use our spacing and use our length to deter them from getting to the basket. The things I do well are understanding the defensive game plan, court spacing, and awareness."

Also, expect Scalabrine to take outside shots tonight....uh oh...

"We're not used to guarding him standing out by the three," coach Doc Rivers said. "I hope he can make them [tonight]. He's been cleared to play. Obviously, you only have three bigs, he will play. We just have to put him in with the right group."

Rondo was also seen practicing at full speed yesterday, so that's good.

I really like Boston because not alot of the public's money is on them tonight...I think its all gunna come down an how well Mr. Jesus Shuttlesworth plays...I believe he is the X factor for tonights game. Dont get me wrong the Bulls are a solid team but lets see them play well in front of their crowd in a playoff atmosphere. Boston knows what to expect...I think that +3 that Vegas is giving out is a gift.....Best of luck to everyone...peace

It's been very interesting to see how the series prices have been swinging back and forth.

Lines from Greek:

Prior to KG out: -600+
KG Out: -595
After G1 Loss: -210
Immediately After Game 2 Nailbiter: -200
Prior to Game 3: -165
After Game 3: -500

it is pretty ridiculous where the series price is. i just checked it this morning and i was very surprised. im not ready to give the series to boston. it was just one game and if the bulls bounce back at home who knows...

everybody is counting out this fragile bunch once again so i'd look for them to have a good showing and likely take game 4.

bulls still suck

True, indeed.

Not sure how I can get out of this series play I have on them. Good win for them today, I just can't see them winning the series.

4 games have gone by and the Bulls dont have a win in regulation, yet they aren't down in the series

LOL @ Boston

Exactly, LOL @ Boston. That stat you just provided is why Chicago has the momentum. A young team playing with nothing to lose, against a veteran team that should have closed out Game 4 yesterday. Even though we head back to Boston, I think this totally plays in favor of Chicago.

I have a Celtics series future here and I'm nervous.

Chicago outplayed Boston down the stretch late Sunday. Celtics didn't capitalize on all the baby bull mistakes. Now, they go back home, knowing Game 5 was the game that should've launched them into the 2nd round.

I'm getting flashbacks of last year's Atlanta series. A young, scrappy team, with nothing to lose, that gave Boston all they got. Yeah, Boston won in the end, but they had a complete roster. They now have Mikki Moore.

While I'm not saying Celtics are done, I do think this series is very much up for grabs.

Back