Barry Sanders - Great Read On His Untouchable '88 Season

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
Will give me some solid reading later, thanks.

Fortunate to have seen him and Thurman play in Ames, guess Gundy too lol but that place was a tailback factory for awhile

at his peak in college he was one of the Top 5 players i've ever seen in CFB in watching from 1986 until now.

i will never forget the 1988 game OU at Okie Lite in Stoolwater. we had Mike Gaddis running wild and they had Barry. he carved us up for over 200 yds but we stole game 31-28 when their wr could not corral a perfect deep toss by mike gundy in the final mins in the back of the end zone. they absolutely outplayed us that day and should have won, and the main reason was barry sanders.

he was incredible to watch

Greatest running back ever and super nice guy. Let's see what Saquon does with it now.
Oh my

Barry never woulda got shut down 6 times in a season. Why you on PSU nuts as such a MU loyalist?

Saquon is Reggie Bush lite

Oh my

Barry never woulda got shut down 6 times in a season. Why you on PSU nuts as such a MU loyalist?

Detroit is entitled to his opinion...I just want to not misrepresent what I thought was implied on my first read, so hope he can clarify the statement...that's all.

Detroit is entitled to his opinion...I just want to not misrepresent what I thought was implied on my first read, so hope he can clarify the statement...that's all.
It's not a court room scarfy

It's a ludicrous comparison

I love this quote:

"Barry looked like a specimen, didn't have any body fat, but he would eat like a trashcan," said Green, his roommate on road games. "Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, potato chips, candy bars, Snickers bars, hot dogs, just junk food.

I like that he could sleep for a couple minutes at a moment's notice...almost anyone who knows me gets that I'm the same way

Sneak a couple minutes in when you can

I recall that OU/Ok State game as well, majent. Sanders was unstoppable and Gaddis would have been an all-american, maybe Heisman winner if not for the injury.

No one has equaled Sanders and he would easily hold the NFL career rushing record if he hadn't retired with a lot of good years left.

What a pleasure it was to watch him.

Oh my

Barry did get shut down a lot, especially in playoff games. Barry also had a lot of negative runs from LOS. Sound familiar. I'm on Saquon's nuts, true. PSU, not at all. Oh because their old coach got railroaded? Still on that trip eh? Thats grounds for dismissal here son.

Barry is the best RB I have ever seen. Saquon has all the traits that can make a run at my opinion of Barry being the best ever. Let's see what he does with his opportunity.

Its a quote from when Jay Z once spit about a young and up and coming star in the industry.. "Drake's up next, let's see what he do with it"

Barry did get shut down a lot, especially in playoff games. Barry also had a lot of negative runs from LOS. Sound familiar. I'm on Saquon's nuts, true. PSU, not at all. Oh because their old coach got railroaded? Still on that trip eh? Thats grounds for dismissal here son.
Call me son again rod...and this is about college football, with all that reading comprehension you puff your chest out about, I'm sure you know that. So enlighten me, which playoff games are you referring to? Can't recall them back in the late 80s, but not sure you were old enough to walk yet.

Barry is the best RB I have ever seen. Saquon has all the traits that can make a run at my opinion of Barry being the best ever. Let's see what he does with his opportunity.

Its a quote from when Jay Z once spit about a young and up and coming star in the industry.. "Drake's up next, let's see what he do with it"

Thought the way you worded it, I might've been missing a reference to someone/something else (Jay Z)...don't agree with the take, but I like the fact you're not afraid to go out on a limb and make bold predictions...it's sports, it's supposed to be debatable and fun...appreciate the clarification.

He is in a really good situation to shine if he is good and has all the media attention a player could want. Hopefully it works out for him and he has a healthy career. I do think he puts up the numbers to win rookie of the year this coming season.

Barkley does have an advantage in that he played more NFL type defenses in the B1G than Bush would have ever seen in the PAC, he just didn't fair that well against several of them. Hard to see him as an every down back in the NFL, but like all RBs it all depends how well they adapt to the more narrow hashes, hitting the holes, etc and how quickly he figures out speed won't win all the time. Good team to be on for him, plenty around him.

Barkley does have an advantage in that he played more NFL type defenses in the B1G than Bush would have ever seen in the PAC, he just didn't fair that well against several of them. Hard to see him as an every down back in the NFL, but like all RBs it all depends how well they adapt to the more narrow hashes, hitting the holes, etc and how quickly he figures out speed won't win all the time. Good team to be on for him, plenty around him.

Biggest asset for him with his skill set is that Shurmur is going to know how to use him...a guy like this could easily go wasted with what he can do. Look at what Shurmur did for Cook in the first 5 games of last season, and Barkley is more talented than Cook.

88 was my fr year at okst

5-8 and could one step dunk, imagine he and richard dumas on the same court playing pickup ball

i got picks of him getting honored for his heisman at halftime of osu/ku hoops game i’ll post up this weekend if anyone GAF

good luck to all this season!!!

pokes got corn dog at the pivot
who a well placed source ranked in between chelf and zrob production wise which shocked the piss outta boog

on the D new scheme new attitude
no more safeties backing up 25 yards at the snap on 3&10 and death by 1000 cuts

if u gonna beat us it gonna be over the top

5-8 and could one step dunk, imagine he and richard dumas on the same court playing pickup ball

i got picks of him getting honored for his heisman at halftime of osu/ku hoops game i’ll post up this weekend if anyone GAF

who a well placed source ranked in between chelf and zrob production wise which shocked the piss outta boog

Good stuff. Love the Richard Dumas reference.

yes please post !!

Barry Playoff Games:

1st vs Dallas 12 carries 69 yards

This game, the Cowboys stacked the line. The Lions tossed all over team dynasty and Barry broke a memorable one late in the game.

2nd vs Washington 11 carries 44 yards

We all know this blowout at muddy RFK. That was a damn good Skins team that won the Super Bowl 2 weeks later. Barry was basically nullified with the early deficit

3rd vs Green Bay 27 carries 169 yards

This was the 2nd straight week he tore up the Packers. The problem was, Sterling Sharp ran free and the legend of Favre was born.

4th vs Green Bay 13 carries -1 yards

This is the game that people remember the most. I get it. It was a cold, sub zero day in Green Bay. Once again, notice the number of carries.

5th vs Philadelphia 10 carries for 40 yards

This was the ass-whooping of the century (58-37). It was over before you could even breathe. This was the most prolific Lions offense of the 90's coming in on a 7 game winning streak and they just got got wood-shedded.

6th vs Tampa Bay 18 carries for 65 yards

This one was tough, as he had rushed for exactly 2000 yards the final 14 games of the year. This was also the start of the TB reign of good teams for sometime. In what was a somewhat close game, he didn't touch the ball enough...again.

So, we have one playoff game he carried over 20 times. A few games were blowouts where he barely was given a chance. The GB game they gave up early in a 16-12 loss....

Even with the -1 game he averages 4.24 yards per carry. You can't put it all on Barry here... #SameOleLions

Tony Mandarich. LMFAO. Love giving Packler fans ish about that pick. Never gets old. Favre + Sanders would have been a dynasty...

Tony Mandarich. LMFAO. Love giving Packler fans ish about that pick. Never gets old. Favre + Sanders would have been a dynasty...
Yup, roids were heavy at MSU back in the late 80's...

What a draft that was though...

4 of top 5 picks became HOF'ers.

12 guys in round 1 were future pro bowlers.

Seems like I remember football cards got big then, like Barry, Deion, etc were a huge deal

Back