• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

The Official LSU Thread

I've been saying that Lee cannot read coverage schemes but that did not improve.

And it continues...

Lee has thrown 9 INTs this season, 4 of which have been returned for TDs.

I have never seen a group of defensive backs that find new ways to blow coverage and miss tackles as badly as this year's corps. In fact, I've heard that statement from guys that have been watching LSU football for twice as long as I've been alive.

I knew the youth would hurt us, but I never thought they would be the sole reason we would lose games.

5-2 with Bama two weeks away. LSU should get some practice with an anemic offensive Tulane team. Still, we are fitting into the big picture I had for this team, a two or three loss team and hoping for a decent bowl berth.

Blue Chip, I think the bigger question than the qb is this defense. If the opposing offense does anything besides take a straight handoff and run right up the gut banging their head against a wall, LSU has serious serious trouble.

The defense of the running game is just as big of a question as those db's. I don't know if Les shows these guys anyting in practice besides goal line straight smashmouth, but the edges are very exposable. Florida with their rush offense that's first thing I think of is an edge rush offense, Georgia not as much but with Moreno on the pitch they were effective. South Carolina simply did not possess that ability and are a horrible rush offense.

Right now I think you would have to agree LSU is more likely to be a 4 or 5 loss team as opposed to a 3 loss team.

Bama a likely loss, and then look at how well Ole Miss matchup up. I mean Ole Miss matches up beautifully with LSU and in the past Nutt has proven that. Arkansas shit they match up well too.

Right now I think you would have to agree LSU is more likely to be a 4 or 5 loss team as opposed to a 3 loss team.

I think LSU has a real chance of finishing as a three loss team this year. I count Troy and Tulane as wins, I think we beat Arkansas with bowl implications on the line, and I think we split Bama or Ole Miss.

Take away the two pick six gifts Lee continues to give the opponent, and you have a tie game yesterday. Then take away the FG that came from Lee's third INT and you have an LSU win by three. Notice how Saban is running things with his offense? First down is Strong/Weak I and 2nd/3rd down is 3WR/Singleback form. He runs to set up the pass because he saw last year that he cannot depend on JPW to come up big at crucial times. So, he runs Coffee and Co down the throat of the opponent until he feels a pass is needed or warranted after taking all weight off of JPW's shoulders. Saban is a good coach and I admire the way he has his team playing. LSU has a stable of RBs, yet we continue to ask Lee to throw the ball.

The defense as a whole is a concern, yes, but if you watch film you will see it was the safeties that missed tackles that allowed Moreno to break off his long runs. As far as being vulnerible on the corners, that is likely the lack of speed at OLB. I do not think LSU has had a great LB since Brady James left LSU for the Dallas Cowboys years ago. I think this has been an abandoned position at LSU.

The coaching is a mismatch. Saban realized last year that he could not depend on JPW in the clutch, hence the reason you see Bama with 3 RBs succeeding this season. Saban realizes he needs to run to set up the pass (relieving the pressure from JPW's shoulders). Bama's defense is what makes this team good (along with the obvious coaching advantage Saban has over just about every college coach). Florida and Georgia did hang half a hundy each on LSU, but take out the pick sixes (2 vs UGA and 1 or 2 vs UF) and the outlier plays (tip play Harvin for TD and easy missed tackle on Moreno for 80yd TD run). Missing tackles and throwing INTs is part of the game, I know, but I just want to bring this to light. That being said, you can expect at least 1 INT from Lee this week... that is if he plays a meaningful amount of snaps. Jordan Jefferson, true freshman, is supposedly breathing down Lee's neck at practices and Crowton is developing a penchant for the young star from Destrahan High (Ed Reed's alma mater).

LSU owns one of the biggest homefield advantages in CFB, and crowds of any sort are taken out of the game when the opponent goes ahead quickly. Note UGA game: first play from scrimmage was a pick six from Lee. Immediately the crowd is removed and momentum killed. LSU stuffs Fla on 1st and 2nd downs on their opening drive, 3rd & 12 comes, Tebow chunks the ball up under pressure, Coleman tips the ball rather than knocking it down because he got a bad jump, and Harvin catches the tip ball and runs it in for a TD. These are all cases where LSU ruined momentum themselves.

What has Bama done this year? Jump on opponents early to ruin momentum and remove the crowd. Note UGA and Clemson games. Saban more than any other coach realizes this will be key in facing his old squad.

When it comes down to talent on paper, I think LSU actually has the edge, but Bama has the experience on the line, LB corps, and secondary. Both teams have speedster return men, Holiday and Arenas. Both teams have good OL and RB. Both teams have their share of WR talent. The problem arises with LSU not being able to find its identity on the DL. The problems continue to mount as the young secondary of LSU finds new ways of blowing coverage each week. And the problems mentioned above all pale in comparison to the fact that LSU's QB Jarrett Lee has given up 6 INTS FOR TD'S THIS SEASON ... assuming PAT's are a gimme, THAT'S 42 FUCKING POINTS LEE HAS GIVEN THE OTHER TEAM.

LSU is talented but young and when you play a mastermind like Saban, youth will be exposed ... I PROMISE. This added with my mention of these two teams 1st quarter tendencies will put me on Bama 1Q and full game.

The coaching is a mismatch. Saban realized last year that he could not depend on JPW in the clutch, hence the reason you see Bama with 3 RBs succeeding this season. Saban realizes he needs to run to set up the pass (relieving the pressure from JPW's shoulders). Bama's defense is what makes this team good (along with the obvious coaching advantage Saban has over just about every college coach). Florida and Georgia did hang half a hundy each on LSU, but take out the pick sixes (2 vs UGA and 1 or 2 vs UF) and the outlier plays (tip play Harvin for TD and easy missed tackle on Moreno for 80yd TD run). Missing tackles and throwing INTs is part of the game, I know, but I just want to bring this to light. That being said, you can expect at least 1 INT from Lee this week... that is if he plays a meaningful amount of snaps. Jordan Jefferson, true freshman, is supposedly breathing down Lee's neck at practices and Crowton is developing a penchant for the young star from Destrahan High (Ed Reed's alma mater).

LSU owns one of the biggest homefield advantages in CFB, and crowds of any sort are taken out of the game when the opponent goes ahead quickly. Note UGA game: first play from scrimmage was a pick six from Lee. Immediately the crowd is removed and momentum killed. LSU stuffs Fla on 1st and 2nd downs on their opening drive, 3rd & 12 comes, Tebow chunks the ball up under pressure, Coleman tips the ball rather than knocking it down because he got a bad jump, and Harvin catches the tip ball and runs it in for a TD. These are all cases where LSU ruined momentum themselves.

What has Bama done this year? Jump on opponents early to ruin momentum and remove the crowd. Note UGA and Clemson games. Saban more than any other coach realizes this will be key in facing his old squad.

When it comes down to talent on paper, I think LSU actually has the edge, but Bama has the experience on the line, LB corps, and secondary. Both teams have speedster return men, Holiday and Arenas. Both teams have good OL and RB. Both teams have their share of WR talent. The problem arises with LSU not being able to find its identity on the DL. The problems continue to mount as the young secondary of LSU finds new ways of blowing coverage each week. And the problems mentioned above all pale in comparison to the fact that LSU's QB Jarrett Lee has given up 6 INTS FOR TD'S THIS SEASON ... assuming PAT's are a gimme, THAT'S 42 FUCKING POINTS LEE HAS GIVEN THE OTHER TEAM.

LSU is talented but young and when you play a mastermind like Saban, youth will be exposed ... I PROMISE. This added with my mention of these two teams 1st quarter tendencies will put me on Bama 1Q and full game.

Wow...some great stuff here, BC...with ya on Bama -3.

:shake:

this looks familar

Quarterbacks: John Parker Wilson, a 6'3", 215 senior, is the starting quarterback for Alabama and has had a very good senior season. Parker has completed 124 of 204 passes for 1,412 yards and eight touchdowns and has only thrown four interceptions. Parker has been with the Alabama program for four years and has travelled with the Alabama team on all roads games the four years he has been on the team, so playing at LSU Saturday afternoon will not intimidate him. LSU's quarterback is redshirt freshman Jarrett Lee. Lee has completed 106 for 189 for 1,427 yards, 12 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. The big thing that jumps out with the two quarterbacks is that Lee has thrown 10 interception, and six were returned for touchdowns. Parker has only thrown four interceptions and none were returned for touchdowns. Advantage Alabama.

Running backs: Alabama is a team that loves to run the football and they do it very well. The Tide averages 205 yards per game rushing and only gives up 66 yards per game. Alabama has three outstanding running backs in Glenn Coffee who has rushed for 909 yards on 136 carries for a 6.6 average, true freshman Mark Ingram who has rushed for 546 yards on 94 carries, and Roy Upchurch who has gained 336 yards on 56 carries. As for LSU, Charles Scott leads LSU in rushing with 902 yards on 132 carries for a 6.7 average per carry. Keiland Williams has rushed for 233 yards on 51 carries for a 4.3 average. Richard Murphy has rushed for 179 yards on 37 carries for a 4.6 average. Steven Ridley has carried the ball 12 times for 92 yards. Even.

WRs/TEs: True freshman Julio Jones leads Alabama in receiving with 33 receptions for 506 yards and four touchdowns. Nick Walker has 23 receptions for 232 yards. Julio Jones started off the season slow but has really come on the last four games. Nick Walker, 6'5", 255, senior, is Alabama's starting tight end and is one of the best blocking TEs in the SEC. As for LSU, Brandon LaFell is LSU's leading receiver with 39 catches for 572 yards. Demetrius Byrd has 24 receptions for 376 yards. Tight end Richard Dickson has 21 receptions for 212 yards. Even.

OL: Alabama's offensive line returns four starters, is led by All-American guard Andre Smith, 6'5", 330 who will most likely be the first player taken in the 2009 NFL daft. Antoine Caldwell , 6'3", 295, senior, is one of the top centers in the SEC. Marlon Davis, 6'4", 290, senior, and Mike Johnson, 6'6", 300, senior, are the other two returning starters. LSU's offensive line also returns four starters led by junior left tackle Ciron Black, 6'5", 315, and senior left guard Herman Johnson, 6'7", 360. Joseph Barksdale, 6'5", 320, is LSU's starting right tackle. Even.

Defensive front four: Alabama's front four only allows 65.6 yards per game rushing and only 163 yards passing. I do believe that LSU's offensive line will be able to open a few holes for Charles Scott, Keiland Williams and other LSU running backs to pick up some yardage. On the flip side, I believe LSU defensive line will be able to slow down the Alabama running game. Alabama's front four are not as large as LSU's front four but have an advantage speed wise. With a healthly Ricky Jean Francois and a fast improving Rahim Alem, I give the advantage to LSU.

LBs: The linebacker position is a sore spot for LSU but there is talent at the position and all the linebackers are in good health. Darry Beckwith is LSU's best linebacker and will need to have a big game Saturday afternoon. Kelvin Sheppard and Perry Riley are playing hard but are having trouble covering backs on the underneath routes and bubble screens. Jacob Cutrera is starting to play much better and will be a key player in the game for LSU Saturday afternoon. Alabama has speed and more speed at the linebacker position led by Rolando McClain who has 58 tackles on the season including 27 solo tackles. Advantage Alabama.

DBs: Alabama's defensive backs are very physical, which is a Nick Saban's trademark. Free safety Rashad Johnson is a super one on one cover back. Johnson has 59 tackles on the season including 39 solo tackles. Alabama plays mostly man coverage in the defensive backfield and they know their assignments. You will very seldom see a break down in their defensive backfield. All of LSU's defensive backs have struggled all season with the exception of Chris Hawkins. True freshman Patrick Peterson has improved each week and will probably be assigned to cover Julio Jones. Jai Eugene, Chad Jones and Harry Coleman all will need to have big games for LSU to win. Advantage Alabama.

Special Teams: Alabama is very solid on special teams and has a great punt and kick return player in Javier Arenas who has returned 27 punts for 361 yards for a 13.4 average. Arenas has returned 13 kicks for 306 yards and a 23.5 average. Leigh Tiffins has made good on 13 of 18 field goals and made all 33 PATs. P.J. Fitzgerald has punted 34 times for 1,420 yards for a 41.8 average. Trindon Holiday and Keiland Williams return kicks for LSU. Holiday has returned 18 for 398 yards. Williams has returned 10 for 219 yards. Holiday has returned 14 punts for 236 yards. LSU field goal kicker Colt David has made 8 of 10 with the longest being 51 yards. Brady Dalfrey does the punting for LSU and has punted 29 times for 1,184 yards and a 40.8 average. Even.

Like I said, if Bama wins, Lee should get the MVP award. The phenom from Brenham never fails to disappoint... 4 INTs... and guess what, ANOTHER PICK SIX... doubt anyone with half a brain was surprised... watched my team get what they deserve for continuing to trust this slapdick under center and cashed one of my largest bets of the season.

Last edited:
Nothing to be ashamed of, Bama is winning the 2009 MNC.

My wallet is fatter, homie. Did you really think I would not fade Lee in this spot. That kid is money in the bank... 4 INTs today, and of course the token pick six..

Bama not standing a chance in the conference championship on December 6 against the Gators.. For as much as you know bama, how can you not see that Fla is far and away the best team in the nation right now?

Yeah, Lee will be a good one though, he's got moxy..kind of reminds me of a young JPW, but with a much higher ceiling.

Florida is great man..a great team who can spread you out so many ways..but Alabma will be physical with Tebow and dominate the UF oline...you can run on Florida as well...the only thing that is keeping me from making a LARGE bet on bammer is the fg kicker...kid fucking sucks.

I think UF will be favored by 6 or 7.

I will be on the Bama ML and points.

Miles said that Jefferson will play in the Troy game but did not mention when or for how long.

Miles also said Hatch would be ready to go for the Ole Miss game. This is huge IMO. Hatch is a scrambler that plays smart (read: does not throw 6 TDs to opponent).

With Hatch back for the home stretch this year, I think Jefferson should get the entire Troy game to get practice in case he has to back up or fill-in for Hatch during Ole Miss.

Miles said that Jefferson will play in the Troy game but did not mention when or for how long.

Miles also said Hatch would be ready to go for the Ole Miss game. This is huge IMO. Hatch is a scrambler that plays smart (read: does not throw 6 TDs to opponent).

With Hatch back for the home stretch this year, I think Jefferson should get the entire Troy game to get practice in case he has to back up or fill-in for Hatch during Ole Miss.

The Ole Miss/LSU game has been moved to 2:30pm so CBS can pick it up. Very good for us as it changes the whole atmosphere of the game. Now I just need Jarret Lee to go instead of Hatch!

The Ole Miss/LSU game has been moved to 2:30pm so CBS can pick it up. Very good for us as it changes the whole atmosphere of the game. Now I just need Jarret Lee to go instead of Hatch!

LSU is without a doubt better at night. I guess it's because it gives the crowd more time to get liquored up, hence a louder crowd, hence a bigger homefield advantage.

If Lee goes again for LSU, I will go to one of Miles' conferences to kick him in the balls. Jefferson should get Troy with Lee as backup, and Hatch should be back for Ole Miss and Arkansas.. that is if JJ doesn't take over in 1-2 games.

LSU is without a doubt better at night. I guess it's because it gives the crowd more time to get liquored up, hence a louder crowd, hence a bigger homefield advantage.

If Lee goes again for LSU, I will go to one of Miles' conferences to kick him in the balls. Jefferson should get Troy with Lee as backup, and Hatch should be back for Ole Miss and Arkansas.. that is if JJ doesn't take over in 1-2 games.

I saw this situation coming after the first two games.

Miles never gave JJ a shot and hence didnt have the stones to put him in versus Bama or even Georgia considering the situation.

I dont see him starting him versus Troy and it we arent up 14 I dont see him playing in the first half. Miles really has something against JJ and I wish we knew what it was. He cant do anything worse on one play than throw a pick six right?

I would be shocked if Lee or Hatch dont start vs Troy.

Local pundit's positional breakdown

QB: Jevan Sneed, 6'3", 215, redshirt sophomore and a University of Texas transfer, is the Rebels' starting quarterback and he is outstanding. In my opinion, Sneed is the third best quarterback in the conference behind Tim Tebow of Florida and Matthew Stafford of Georgia. Sneed has completed 136 of 254 passes for 1,983 yards and 17 touchdowns. Sneed's only shortcoming is that he does not perform very well under pressure and has thrown 11 interceptions. LSU's starting quarterback is redshirt freshman Jarrett Lee who has completed 139 of 257 passes for 1,824 yards and 14 touchdowns. Lee has thrown 15 interceptions with six returned for touchdowns. Lee has actually thrown three passes more than Sneed with three more completions. Advantage Ole Miss.

RBs: Lordera Eason leads Ole Miss in rushing with 543 yards on 109 rushing attempts for a 5.0 average per carry. Eason is very strong and is a downhill runner. Dexter McCluster, who reminds me of former LSU running back Skyler Green, is the Rebels' second leading rusher with 490 yards on 72 carries for a 6.3 average. Brandon Bolden, a freshman from Scottlandville, has rushed for 419 yards on 80 carries for an average of 5.0 yards per carry. Charles Scott, a strong candidate to make All-SEC, leads LSU in rushing with 1,071 yards on 180 carries for a 5.9 average. Keiland Williams is LSU's second leading rusher with 318 yards on 67 carries for a 4.7 average per carry. Richard Murphy has 178 yards on 39 rushing attempts for a 4.7 average. Both teams have outstanding fullbacks who are used mostly for blocking. Jason Cook of Ole Miss and Quinn Johnson are both very capable of picking up a yard or two when needed. Advantage LSU.

WRs: Ole Miss has three very good wide receivers led by Dexter McCluster who has 34 receptions for 498 yards. Most of McCluster's receptions are out of the backfield with McCluster getting a lot of yards on what look to be no gain or short yardage plays. Shay Hodges has 31 receptions for 545 yards for an 18.0 average per catch. Mike Wallace has 26 receptions for 500 yards for a 19.2 average. Lionel Breaux has 11 receptions for 139 yards. Brandon LaFell leads LSU and the SEC in receptions with 55 for 722 yards averaging 14.0 yards per catch. Demetrius Byrd has 28 receptions for 436 yards averaging 15.0 per catch. Richard Dickson has 24 receptions for 247 yards for a 10.3 average. Terrance Tolliver has 13 receptions for 189 yards for a 14.5 average. Toliver has come on strong the last few games and should have a good game against the Rebels. Advantage LSU.

OL: Ole Miss' offensive line has performed very well this season. In 2007, Ole Miss only averaged gaining 80 yards per game rushing and this year the Rebels are averaging 188 yards per game rushing. Ole Miss has one of the most outstanding left tackles in college football in Michael Oher (6'5", 318) out of Memphis. Most of the Rebels' rushing yards are on the left side of their offensive line. The other four starter s in the offensive line averages 6'4", 320. LSU's offensive line is perhaps the best offensive line in the South and is led by senior center Brett Helms and senior left guard Herman Johnson. Juniors Lyle Hitt and Ciron Blacks and sophomore Joseph Barksdale are the three other starters. The Tigers also have two outstanding blocking TEs in Richard Dickson and Mitch Joseph. Advantage LSU.

DL: Ole Miss has an outstanding defensive line against the run only allowing 103 yards per game. The Rebels have two of the best defensive linemen in the nation in junior defensive end Greg Hardy (6'4", 265) and senior defensive lineman Peria Jerry (6'2", 290). Junior defensive end Marcus Tillman (6'4", 260) and sophomore Kentrell Lockett (6'5", 240) are very physical and have very good foot speed. LSU's defensive line is very deep with eight players playing in most games. The LSU defensive line has not been as dominating this season as it was expected to be. LSU's starting four are Kirston Pittman and Tyson Jackson at defensive end and Charles Alexander and Marlon Favorite at the two starting defensive tackles. In the last three games, Rahim Alem, Ricky Jean Francois, Tremaine Johnson and Al Woods have been playing as much or more than the starting four. Alem leads the SEC in sacks and Tyson Jackson is a strong candidate to make All-SEC. Slight advantage LSU.

LBs: The Rebels are young and inexperienced at linebacker but they have a great middle linebacker in Palmer Ashlee who has 45 tackles, 27 solo tackles and three interceptions on the season. Tony Fein has the best speed of all the Rebel linebackers and has 44 tackles on the season including 21 solo tackles. LSU's linebackers are led by middle linebacker Darry Beckwith who has been injured much of the season and has not had the year he was expected to have. Kevin Shepard, Perry Riley and Jacob Cutrera all played very well against Alabama. EVEN

DBs: Ole Miss has two big-time safeties in Lewis Kendrick who has 70 tackles on the season including 40 solo tackles, and Sanford Jamarca who has 71 tackles including 40 solos. Cassius Vaughn and Marshay Green from Bastrop are the two starting cornerbacks. Vaughn has 40 tackles including 24 solos and two interceptions on the season. Green, who played running back the last two seasons, has 23 tackles including 10 solo tackles. LSU starts Chris Hawkins and Patrick Peterson at the two cornerback positions but Jai Eugene and Ron Brooks play a lot too. Danny McCray, Chad Jones and Harry Coleman are playing about the same amount of time at the two safety positions. Phelon Jones is coming on strong at nickel back. Advantage Ole Miss.

Special teams: Ole Miss has an outstanding field goal kicker in Joshua Shene who has made 14 of 16 with the longest being 47 yards. Colt David of LSU has made 10 of 13 with the longest being 52 yards. Rob Park from Ole Miss is averaging 40 yards per punt and Brady Dalfrey of LSU is also averaging 40 yards per kick. EVEN

^ What Don does not include is the advantage in coaching Ole Miss will have Saturday. Nutt has caused problems for LSU and whether he is at Arkansas or Ole Miss will not matter. Ole Miss-LSU is always a tough battle. I've cashed the last few years on Ole Miss because the spreads are always large, but this year I'm not getting 18 or 20 with the Rebs.

Still, with a shaky QB, a bitter rivalry, and a coaching disadvantage, I am hoping for a last second LSU win on a Colt David FG. For yet another year, I will be on the Rebs.

^ What Don does not include is the advantage in coaching Ole Miss will have Saturday. Nutt has caused problems for LSU and whether he is at Arkansas or Ole Miss will not matter. Ole Miss-LSU is always a tough battle. I've cashed the last few years on Ole Miss because the spreads are always large, but this year I'm not getting 18 or 20 with the Rebs.

Still, with a shaky QB, a bitter rivalry, and a coaching disadvantage, I am hoping for a last second LSU win on a Colt David FG. For yet another year, I will be on the Rebs.

Leading into Saturday night this was setting up nicely.
Is is possible that our Defense starts off 12 yards off the line AGAIN?
I say that they FINALLY wake up this week. I just cant see it happening AGAIN. I think LSU plays its best game of the year and gets a comfortable win. Keep in mind though heading into Saturday vs Troy I had Ole Miss beating us outright by 10 or so. I really feel that the Troy debacle opened alot of eyes. Anyway, I cant fault your side I was hoping to take a DD ML with Ole Miss just a week ago but I have homered out my visions and the hotty toddy will lose big lord almighty.

When asked during his radio show how LSU will stop the Wild Rebel formation, Miles replied "by playing the gaps technique, alignment, and tackling." This was supposed to be the way LSU stopped Moreno, the problem is that gap technique (any defense in fact) is only effective when you make tackles. The amount of missed tackles from LSU DBs and LBs in that UGA game was ridiculous.

Leading into Saturday night this was setting up nicely.
Is is possible that our Defense starts off 12 yards off the line AGAIN?
I say that they FINALLY wake up this week. I just cant see it happening AGAIN. I think LSU plays its best game of the year and gets a comfortable win. Keep in mind though heading into Saturday vs Troy I had Ole Miss beating us outright by 10 or so. I really feel that the Troy debacle opened alot of eyes. Anyway, I cant fault your side I was hoping to take a DD ML with Ole Miss just a week ago but I have homered out my visions and the hotty toddy will lose big lord almighty.

I have the EXACT opposite reasoning here, at least one of us will be right. LSU losing two in a row? Didn't see it happening. That game exposed a lot of weakness in LSU and they are gonna be reeling in BR when they lose on Saturday.

Les would leave LSU for Washington but not for Michigan? lol

----Blue Chip opinion on LSU @ Arkansas this week please.

I think they cover this.

Les would leave LSU for Washington but not for Michigan? lol

----Blue Chip opinion on LSU @ Arkansas this week please.

I think they cover this.

So do I but waiting for the LSU thoughts. Are they just going to sleepwalk into this game?

Back