B1G Week One Thread: Let the season begin...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Okay,

Last year worked out pretty well with having an inclusive thread for the conference where we could get a myriad of opinions each and every week. I'll start it up Sunday nights on odd numbered weeks and Hunt will start it up on even numbered weeks.

For the first week, feel free to talk about RSW's and any futures as well. I think this will also be a good spot to track the injuries/suspensions of the Big Ten teams and their Week One opponents.

I'll start by putting current lines as of today. Obviously there have been GOY numbers out there and these have changed quite a bit but we'll use the 8 week reference point for this thread.

Feel free to predict totals as well...

Okay, LEGGO. I expect some good discussion here, even you guys in the '140 characters or less' crowd.

Tough to lay that many with a team that plays the style WISC does but Utah State may get blanked. 1 starter back on the OL and a crappy QB and WR vs that D is death. WISC OL also looks much better this year and back to corn-fed midwestern monsters. They should maul Utah State front that loses 4/5 DL and top 2 LB.

Northwestern also a tough lay but my god is Nevada going to be bad.

Interested to here opinions on Michigan from BAR + the folks in the know. I know they have a ton of talented youngsters but I don't think you can lose that many really good players and not fall to your floor. 8-4 seems likely.

Ohio State looks like the best team in the country.

I'll have a single thread up for UM(maybe one for MSU too) coming this week. This thread will be for week one talk and futures bets...

Anyone have any projected totals yet? That will be something I am looking for in the local game.

The obvious UF issue is if/when Callaway gets suspended. Now, nothing in the NCAA/SEC would surprise me at this point but the guy has had enough chances you would think. That is a big factor for my play perhaps being raised a bit more on the units scale. We shall see.

Florida leaving the state for first time since I was 11 for a non-conference game is quite exciting as well...

This should be a 'growing pains' and then some year for Purdue. I think at the current under 27 that UL might be worth a look ats or in some team total capacity.

Rutgers is obviously godawful. This is another 'name your score' type of game if Wash is interested.

OSU/Indiana is such a weird match-up to start the year. You have a conference road game on a Thursday for the Buckeyes. The obvious smaller subplot is Wilson against his former team. IU will be no pushover this year at all and for whatever reason always are dangerous at home. This is like a quasi-home game for OSU though as well. This feels like a slow-starting game that OSU pulls away with in the 2nd half.

Michigan State should still have another piece of two of attrition. I would fully wait to see what they are rolling out there the first week. The chemistry should be better though and this could be one of those games where a lot of frustration is taken out. With that being said, they have so many weak points who the heck really knows what happens.

Wisky should roll in that game. It feels like one of those frustrating games though that comes down to a long 4th quarter drive for the cover or not. This might be a good game to look at the opponent team total under...

That is about what I have so far. Any projected totals would be nice to get some ideas. I have heard anywhere from 40-53 on the UM-UF game so the opinions definitely differ.

Wilton Speight is a fraud. Jihad johnny can throw better than him.

I personally think UM will start season slow, end well once they get MCccaffery or Peters in at QB. Florida game is a toss up.

Too much inexperience on defense, WR, oline (which might be a plus). Don't forget the QB is god awful.

Both sides of the ball will be better by end of year. Kind of opposite from last year. Start like shit, end ok, but no one is beating the bucks this year..oh wait, I think I say that every year...I forgot.

Don't forget to click the banner in my sig fuckers. Lots of cash prizes.

Yeah, it's bad. That preview doesn't even limit its cluelessness to the teams that are being previewed:

Defensive grade: C-. And that’s only because D and F grades are reserved for the Troys and Citadels who finish dead last in their mid major conferences.

Troy and the Citadel each won 10 games last year,

Wisconsin seems to have a couple of games every year where even if they shut out the opposing team they still might not cover. I think this week one game might qualify. The Badger offense could be slow out of the gate this year with nothing special at QB and RB. Utah State has been backsliding for years now, but it might not take much to cover.

It seems like there's a lot of love for Tom Herman to work year 1 miracles in Texas, but I'm just not seeing it. D'Onta Foreman was an incredible workhorse for them last year with 323 carries at 6.28 ypc. Warren III averaged 5.9 ypc, but hasn't proven that he can be an all game back yet. On top of that the Texas run game was pretty mediocre, especially given the really soft schedule of run defenses they faced. Texas was better on defense and returns a ton of players, so to me that's the side of the ball that can carry the team this year. All that is just to preface the fact that I like Maryland in week #1 catching so many points.

Here is how I have the Big10 in terms of preseason PR

Ohio St
Penn St - kind of hate this because I don't think they finish #2 or will be the 2nd best team at the end of the season
Wisconsin/Michigan
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Indiana/Nebraska
Michigan St
Maryland
Purdue
Illinois
Rutgers

Here is how I have the Big10 in terms of preseason PR

Ohio St
Penn St - kind of hate this because I don't think they finish #2 or will be the 2nd best team at the end of the season
Wisconsin/Michigan
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Indiana/Nebraska
Michigan St
Maryland
Purdue
Illinois
Rutgers

I would flip Wisky/UM to t-2 then PSU otherwise your looking real good.

Wilton Speight is a fraud.

Seems like he could get the job done if the surrounding parts were really outstanding.

Bama rode a similar formula for quite some time.

I'm sure harb would like to emulate that blueprint but he doesn't exactly have the horses at this time. mich rb's are very average.

Last edited:
Not gonna derail BAR's awesome B10 thread, but if the ACC guys wanna start somehting......don't let me stop y'all!!!

This one was super helpful, and GPS/CK SEC thread is one of the best on the 'net.

That said, anyone buying NC State this year? The First Team talks about em daily and I know they have the most returning starters and a D Line that should be sick. And they played teams close like butter played toast....shoulda beat the eventual crowned champs....

Iowa has outplayed Neb badly of late, but Minny and NW...nah, not buying.

All depends on the QB play for us, but it can't get much worse. My club is returning a lot of key pieces but new coach, system, etc. so it's anyone's guess. But the Gophs will be decent.

If Nebby is trotting out Barney Fife at QB y'all gonna have major issues. I can't imagine he wins the starting job under any scenario but if he does you are in trouble...

All depends on the QB play for us, but it can't get much worse. My club is returning a lot of key pieces but new coach, system, etc. so it's anyone's guess. But the Gophs will be decent.

If Nebby is trotting out Barney Fife at QB y'all gonna have major issues. I can't imagine he wins the starting job under any scenario but if he does you are in trouble...

fife graduated. by all reports, we have 3 qbs better than armstrong right now.

[h=2]Fall Camp Preview: Quarterbacks[/h]Pat Donohue | Staff Writer
<figure class="article-image" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px;">
eqovtldq05yp5wxc3exi

<figcaption class="image-caption" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-size: 13px; margin-top: 10px; border-color: rgb(232, 233, 234); border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px;">Caleb Henderson (No. 6) hasn't seen game action since his freshman season.</figcaption>
</figure>Graduated: Perry Hills, Caleb Rowe,
Returning: Caleb Henderson, Tyrrell Pigrome, Max Bortenschlager
Incoming: Kasim Hill, Ryan Brand
Last season, the Terps’ first under the tutelage of head coach D.J. Durkin, Maryland’s quarterback situation took a step in the right direction after a struggle to find consistency at the position the year prior.
TERPS INSIDER message board | SHOP NOW: DEALS on TERPS apparel | LIKE us on FACEBOOK
Senior passer Perry Hills became the bonafide starter under center in College Park, but a shoulder injury kept him shuffling in and out of the lineup for much of the year. Still, Hills led the Terps in every meaningful passing category in 2016, while also topping the Big Ten in completion percentage (61.9 percent).
In spot action, then-freshmen Tyrrell Pigrome and Max Bortenschlager showed glimpses of why Durkin and his staff were so eager to recruit them. Pigrome appeared in 11 games and made one start, while Bortenschlager appeared in two games, including one start.
Pigrome’s signature moment was a game-winning 24-yard scamper that won the game for the Terps in double-overtime at Central Florida. Bortenschlager showed off his arm and pocket presence by completing 14-for-29 passes for 191 yards and a touchdown in his lone start at Nebraska. In short, Pigrome proved to be the superior athlete with highlight-reel potential on any given play, while Bortenschlager flashed more pocket presence and was better at protecting the ball.
With Hills now graduated, Pigrome and Bortenschlager could find themselves in the mix under center once again as sophomores, but it won’t be easy for them to win the job with several other talented arms on the roster.
Junior gunslinger Caleb Henderson, who sat out in 2016 per NCAA policy after transferring from North Carolina to Maryland last summer, seemed in line to takeover as the Terps starter after an impressive spring. But Henderson sat out of Maryland’s spring game with a broken foot, which later required surgery, and his health entering fall camp is still to be determined.
Henderson, Bortenschlager and Pigrome all had their moments during spring ball, although Henderson appeared to be the most polished of the bunch. But perhaps the biggest threat to push for the starting job in fall camp wasn’t even on campus yet during spring practices. That would be talented, incoming freshman Kasim Hill, who had a prominent high school career locally at Washington (D.C.) St. John’s College.
Hill arrived in College Park earlier this summer and has already dove into the Terps playbook. He has the size, athleticism and football IQ to live up to his four-star billing and could make his impact felt sooner than later if the coaching staff deems him ready.
Top Storyline:
Who wins the quarterback battle?
This seems to be a repetitive storyline for Maryland’s quarterbacks over the past few offseasons. Terps fans will have to anxiously wait again for Durkin to name a starting signal caller. But the pool of competition under center this fall camp is the deepest talent-wise that there has been in College Park in quite some time.
But besides winning the starting gig, the Terps quarterbacks will also be battling each other for depth chart position. Maryland knows all too well how quickly the person under center can change throughout the course of a season. The term “next-man-up” has become a mantra in College Park and whoever finishes fall camp second, or even third, on the depth chart should stay ready and feel decent about their chances to contribute at some point.
Prediction:
Yes, we’ve already pointed out how Maryland quarterbacks have had a hard time staying on the field in recent history. Henderson is just the latest Terps passer to be dealing with an injury. He will be about three months removed from foot surgery when he enters fall camp, and he should be 100 percent ready by that time. But setbacks can occur during rehab and it’s tough to predict how Henderson will be feeling come August.

But if he’s healthy, Henderson has the tools to win the job outright.
A former four-star recruit, Henderson has just about everything you’d look for in a high-level Division-I quarterback--size, arm strength, mobility, accuracy. He’ll have to prove next just how well he can run the Terps offense in a game setting. Making nice throws in spring practice is peachy, but Maryland fans are eager to see his grasp of offensive coordinator Walt Bell’s offense and just how fluidly it can run with him at the helm.
Henderson will have a chance to build upon what he showed throughout most of spring ball. But Hill is talented enough to seriously compete to be Maryland’s starting quarterback as a true freshman.
Henderson provides a similar skill set with an upperclassman presence, and it could end up making the most sense for the Terps to save a year of Hill’s eligibility and elect for a redshirt, especially with Bortenschlager and Pigrome appearing to be serviceable backups, but the rookie is said to be turning heads already through his summer workouts in College Park and Hill will certainly not roll over and hand anyone the job this fall.
Hill has been the face of Maryland’s 2017 class since he committed to the Terps and he very well could take over as the leader in College Park from the jump.
With a seemingly more talented arm starting regardless of who wins the job and explosive skill-position players in place, Maryland’s offense could reach new heights this season.
The running game is already incredibly strong in College Park, but this year the receiving corps could begin to catch up. Scoring points was a problem at times for the Perry Hills-led Terps last season, but pass catchers were often open and just missed on poor throws. With Hill or Henderson’s throwing ability, the sky could be the limit for Maryland when it has the ball this season.

UF Receiver Callaway

F star receiver Antonio Callaway’s May 13 citation for marijuana finally has been resolved.
On Monday, Callaway pled no contest to possession of paraphernalia and was fined $301, according to Alachua State Attorney Bill Cervone.

Cervone told the Orlando Sentinel that Callaway’s agreement is standard operating procedure for a first-time offender cited for a small amount of marijuana.

The question now is Callaway’s status for the Sept. 2 opener against Michigan. In two seasons, the junior from Miami has 89 catches for 1,399 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Last Tuesday at SEC Media Days, UF coach Jim McElwain said he had yet to decide whether he will suspend the team’s top offensive player after his second marijuana-related incident.

Callaway is making his case for leniency from his coach.

“He's going through some things right now, and obviously he's been handling it well,” McElwain said last week. “We'll continue to see how that goes.”

Callaway was cited for marijuana possession (fewer than 20 grams) while he was a passenger in the car of Kendrick Williams, a 40-year-old Gainesville man with a history of brushes with the law.
<aside class="trb_ar_sponsoredmod" data-adloader-networktype="yieldmo" data-v-ymid="ym_1606466308950833475" data-role="delayload_item" data-withinviewport-options="bottomOffset=100" data-load-method="trb.vendor.yieldmo.init" data-load-type="method" style="margin: 5px 0px 25px; clear: both; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&quot;; font-size: 10px;">
</aside>Callaway admitted last August during a Title IX hearing at UF he was high on marijuana during an alleged sexual assault in January 2016. Callaway was suspended last spring amid the allegations, but he eventually was found not responsible during the hearing.

im withholding judgment. some are really riding his nuts pretty hard with the scouts and archie manning and others loving him. I thought he was decent, not great in the spring game and i did watch some of his tulane games which didn't impress me.

I havent looked at arky st, but i dont see them stopping us much. If i liked arky st, I'd prob rather have the over.

arky st been a slow starting team who has had their shit pushed in against Power 5 teams, but like i said, i haven't looked at em yet.

From BTN...

1. Will Penn State repeat as Big Ten champs?
The Nittany Lions came out of nowhere to shock the world and win the Big Ten championship after starting 2-2 in James Franklin’s third season in State College. This was WAY ahead of schedule for a program with an uber-bright future. I like Penn State’s chances to repeat. The offense will be as good as last year’s explosive attack with QB Trace McSorley and RB Saquon Barkley working behind the school’s best line in years. And the defense will be stout. But there are two big hurdles: 1. Dealing with great expectations. 2. A game at Ohio State. Still, don’t discount the talent, resolve and focus of this program.

2. How will Nebraska’s new 3-4 defense perform?
Mike Riley knew his defense needed to improve. So, he shook up his staff by hiring former UConn coach Bob Diaco to coordinate the defense. He scrapped the Huskers’ traditional 4-3 alignment and installed a 3-4, a trendy defense. The gist of switch: The 3-4 allows more flexibility along the front seven and the ability to morph and adapt stealthily. Plus, Nebraska has a plethora of good linebackers to make the scheme work. It better, as Year Three shapes up to be an important one for Riley and the Cornhuskers, who haven’t won a league title since 1999.

3. Can the Big Ten put multiple teams in the playoff?
In the three years of the College Football Playoff, no conference has had more than one team in the four-team format. But I like the chances of the Big Ten to get two teams in 2017. Obviously, the Big Ten champ would earn a bid. And I think that team will be Penn State. The other team? I like Wisconsin’s chances. The Badgers should win the West—again—and they may do so with just one loss as they enter the league title game. Yes, the Badgers are that good—and their schedule is that advantageous.

4. What impact will new Ohio State offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson have?
Ever since coordinator Tom Herman bolted for Houston after helping lead the Buckeyes to the 2014 national championship, the Ohio State offense hasn’t clicked at full steam. Urban Meyer made a bold move by bringing in former Indiana coach Kevin Wilson to run the attack, as former coordinators Ed Warinner (Minnesota offensive line coach) and Tim Beck (Texas offensive coordinator) left town. Wilson has the same offensive philosophy as Meyer, as he executed a power-spread offense at Indiana that often was among the best in the Big Ten. Don’t be shocked if Buckeye QB J.T. Barrett thrives under the stewardship of Wilson.

5. Will Michigan take a step back?
No Big Ten school lost as much as the Wolverines, who saw a national-high 11 players get drafted last April. Key personnel like WRs Amara Darboh and Jehu Chesson; TE Jake Butt; CB Jourdan Lewis; RB De’Veon Smith; DLs Taco Charlton, Chris Wormley and Ryan Glasgow; SS Jabrill Peppers are gone, not to mention three offensive line starters. Can Michigan compete not just for the East title, but its first Big Ten championship since 2004 with all of that key attrition? Alas, this may be too much for Jim Harbaugh to overcome in his third season in Ann Arbor. But never underestimate Harbaugh.

6. Will P.J. Fleck be an instant hit at Minnesota?
No new coach in the nation has as much buzz and mojo as Fleck, a walking pep rally who has an indomitable spirit and bottomless pit of energy. And “Mr. Row the Boat” proved he can coach in four seasons at Western Michigan, which he took to the Cotton Bowl last season. Fueling expectations for Fleck in 2017: The Golden Gophers have plenty of talent to work with. Bottom line: Minnesota will be bowling again; and it could contend for the West if the quarterback spot develops. It’s gonna be fun to see what Fleck can do in a major conference.

7. Will Wisconsin win the West … again?
Yep. In fact, don’t be shocked if the Badgers make a push to perhaps go unbeaten. Really. Look at the personnel coming back for understated and underrated Paul Chryst, who may be the smartest coach in the Big Ten. Yes, the defense is on its third coordinator in three years (hello, Jim Leonhard) and RB Corey Clement is gone. Still, Wisconsin has a loaded roster—and the schedule—to return to Indianapolis for the Big Ten title game. And, win or lose the league championship, the Badgers also may earn a playoff spot.

8. Is Penn State RB Saquon Barkley the Big Ten’s best player?
This is an unequivocal “yes.” In fact, Barkley is a legit Heisman contender who may have a shot to post the eighth 2,000-yard rushing season in Big Ten annals. The last Big Ten Heisman winner? Ohio State QB Troy Smith in 2006. The last Big Ten running back to win the Heisman? Wisconsin’s Ron Dayne in 1999. Barkley can do it all, and he’ll have a prolific passing game at his disposal to keep defenses honest.

9. Can Jeff Brohm cure Purdue’s ills?
Bank on this happening, but not this season. The 2017 campaign will be filled with growing pains, as Purdue has a lot to prove in the trenches, in the secondary and at wideout. Depth and talent are issues. But the Boilermakers haven’t been this well-coached since Joe Tiller left after the 2008 season. And Brohm’s arrival has given the Boilermakers an identity, which they haven’t had since Tiller. Brohm is a smart coach who has built a good staff. And he showed coaching prowess during a successful three-year run at Western Kentucky. Expect this program to challenge for a bowl in 2018.

10. Will Michigan State rebound from a 3-9 season after making a playoff appearance in 2015?
Yes, the Spartans will be improved. But it’s difficult to envision MSU contending in the rugged East Division, as questions loom in East Lansing. Will the play of the quarterback improve? All eyes are on Brian Lewerke. Is the offensive line better? Just one starter is back. How will the defensive line perform? Just one starter is back. Are there leaders on the team, as off-field tumult rocked the program? Questions, questions, questions for Mark Dantonio’s 11th team. It’s vital for this ship to get stabilized and for Michigan State to return to a bowl.

11. Who is the best defensive player in the league?
There doesn’t seem to be a consensus, as a case can be made for several guys: Iowa LB Josey Jewell; Michigan DL Rashan Gary; Ohio State LB Jerome Baker; Indiana LB Tegray Scales; Penn State S Marcus Allen. Who is your pick? I’m going with Jewell, who ranked second in the Big Ten in tackles last season with 124.

12. Is this the year Northwestern wins the West?
It could happen, as this arguably is the most talented team of the Pat Fitzgerald era. There is no better quarterback-running back punch in the West than Clayton Thorson and Justin Jackson. And the line looks good, too. The big question: Who will be the go-to wideout with Austin Carr gone? The defense lost stud LB Anthony Walker, but there is plenty of talent from front to back led by S Godwin Igwebuike. The Wildcats open Big Ten play at Wisconsin on Sept. 30 in a game that will go a long way in shaping the West Division race.

13. Will Jerry Kill improve the Rutgers attack as its new offensive coordinator?
This was one of the biggest coaching staff moves of the offense, as Chris Ash tabbed the former Minnesota coach to inject life into a moribund offense. How bad was it in 2016? The Scarlet Knights were last in the Big Ten in scoring (15.7 ppg); last in total offense (283.2 ypg); last in passing offense (138.3 ypg); 12th in rushing (144.9 ypg). Kill—who worked in an off-field capacity at Kansas State last season–is the eighth offensive coordinator in the past eight years. A big key: developing a QB. And that guy probably will be Louisville grad transfer Kyle Bolin.

14. Can Tom Allen keep the bowl momentum going at Indiana?
The ebullient Allen took over the Hoosiers for the bowl game last year after Kevin Wilson’s abrupt departure in December; now, Allen embarks on his first season as a head coach—at any level—after doing impressive work with as the Hoosiers defensive coordinator last season. Allen quickly put his stamp on the staff by overhauling the offensive coaches and tabbing Mike DeBord as coordinator. There also is a new line coach; running backs coach; quarterbacks coach; receivers coach. The Hoosiers are trying to go bowling for a third year in a row for the first time since a four-year postseason run from 1988-91 under Bill Mallory.

15. Which new starting quarterback is most intriguing?
All eyes will be on Nebraska’s Tanner Lee, who turned heads last season while sitting out after his transfer from Tulane. Lee is a classic quarterback and a tailor fit for the West Coast attack Mike Riley always has wanted to run but couldn’t fully with Tommy Armstrong under center. Now that Armstrong is gone, it’s full-steam ahead with a new-look offense. Throw in a new 3-4 defensive scheme, and in many ways, this will be like Year One for Riley in Lincoln. Other quarterback situations to watch: Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota and Rutgers.

16. Will Illinois enjoy a breakthrough in Lovie Smith’s second season?
It doesn’t look that way after a 3-9 debut. There is just too much heavy-lifting to do in Champaign. Where to begin? How about at quarterback, which is a big question. And both lines have something to prove. Sit tight, Illini Nation. Better days are ahead.

17. Who will be the surprise team?

Keep an eye on Maryland, which will be in its second season under DJ Durkin. Few programs have as much momentum as this one. The school is funneling money into facilities, led by the conversion of Cole Field House into a football facility. And Durkin is a recruiting dynamo who is fuelling Maryland with some top talent. It may not be long before Maryland is making a hard push for the top of the East. At the least, don’t be shocked if the Terps pull a few upsets in 2017 and return to the postseason. A big key: Developing a quarterback and continuing to hone line play on both sides of the ball.

arky st been a slow starting team who has had their shit pushed in against Power 5 teams, but like i said, i haven't looked at em yet.

ASU was 0-4 ATS last year outside the conference, 5-3 ATS the two years before that. It is a concern, but Riley lost to two Big Sky teams in his last four years at OSU.

Any thoughts on Wyoming and Iowa? I haven't taken a dive in to the matchups yet and don't have much of a variance in my PR line, but at first glance it just seems like one of those early season one score wins for Iowa.

Peters is +105 to start g1 at bookmaker.

Speight - 105.

Hope nobody has made any bets yet on that one .

Peters is +105 to start g1 at bookmaker.

Speight - 105.

Hope nobody has made any bets yet on that one .

That got pounded last week...

Wilton Speight
    -
    -​

Brandon Peters
    -
    -​

John O’Korn
    -
    -​

Back