B1G Bowl Season Discussion

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Yawn. I just wanted to get this fired up. This is a brutal bowl schedule to be honest. The game that interests me the most will be the day after Xmas in Detroit. Post what you got with thoughts, injuries, suspensions and guys sitting out.

And, before anyone asks... Lean Florida big time as of now. A lot of these guys have been around for both beat downs Michigan has put on them. They remember. I think this game is bigger for Florida. I do think that a handful of UM early entry guys could entertain sitting (Gary is out. Bush says he's playing. Long and Hill will be the ones of interest). But, we have a long way to go. The initial movement in Florida favor was no surprise.

Sorry just had to get it back out there...there was a lot of hot takes that assumed he was gone and then nothing when he actually stayed. While he wrestled with it the cold feet thing is debatable as I don't think that was the case but doesn't matter really...just hard to tell his Dad he wanted to stay whom so badly wanted the family all together back to lead 'Ville.

The at least near term success of two programs i'm not sure could have been impacted more by one decision on that day. I'm just thankful we were on the right side of it this time and this administration finally has put football on the forefront with all the new facilities and $$ thrown at supporting the program. With the previous AD and President there isn't a chance this would've happened.

Bowl game will be interesting and a game they wouldn't have got without Purdue/Brohm being in the news about the Louisville situation I don't think. Big step up in athlete class but I like the motivation aspect and a group of seniors this means a lot to vs what I would think is an Auburn team who can't be all that excited about facing a 6-6 Purdue.

Brohm already has said he's not going to use all 15 practices...wants team to be rested and has always used an approach of this being a reward. So far it's worked for him (3-0 in Bowl games). Also sounds like a lot of youth will be seeing more reps in practices and could see some action in the game.

Bottom line though this is all just icing on the cake as they make a run at the B1G west next year and the recruiting class more than in tact and a couple more 4 stars about to join to finish it off.

Last edited:
"I think it's important that we keep somewhat the same schedule we had last year, which means I want our guys to have a break. I want our guys to get away from it a little bit," Brohm said. "At the same time, we're getting some workouts in the weight room and conditioning. We'll get back out on the practice field starting this Friday, but even then, it won't be an every-day thing. We're going to make sure that we are smart with it. They have finals coming up the week after. We're on the road quite a bit recruiting, as well. We want to make sure we finish that off."

"Yes, everyone is on the table right now, so there's a chance that quite a few guys that either have barely played or haven't played at all could participate in this game," Brohm said. "Like I said, we'll utilize this month to see if they are ready to go, and if they have been working hard and putting in the time, you would think that guys that aren't happy that they are not playing would step up and get it done, but we've got to see exactly how they practice."

I did get a text from someone earlier that Justin Layne (MSU Corner) will opt for draft and most likely not play.

Also read that Lewerke's shoulder is supposedly improving and his status is TBD. Not just whether he plays but that shoulder is a huge question mark. He could play and be not quite ready because Dantonio gotta be desperate to avoid having Lombardi in there. MATT, I THINK YOU AND JOHN O'KORN COULD THROW BETTER THAN LOMBARDI

What Brohm was mainly talking about is the 20 true freshman whom haven't seen the field and kept their redshirts. I would think across the bowl season it'll be interesting to see who uses true freshman where the redshirt can now still be used assuming they haven't been used in 4 games already.

Also read that Lewerke's shoulder is supposedly improving and his status is TBD. Not just whether he plays but that shoulder is a huge question mark. He could play and be not quite ready because Dantonio gotta be desperate to avoid having Lombardi in there. MATT, I THINK YOU AND JOHN O'KORN COULD THROW BETTER THAN LOMBARDI
I thought Lombardi was their next great thing after the Maryland game? Lol. I'd start Theo Day. There is no reason not to. This season is a wash. It is better to see what you have before spring ball.

I thought Lombardi was their next great thing after the Maryland game? Lol. I'd start Theo Day. There is no reason not to. This season is a wash. It is better to see what you have before spring ball.

Not sure you suffered through that Rutgers game like I did. Kid is so brutal.

Heck of a comeback win to be honest.

It was gutsy. I can't imagine being in their shoes. I think it could be hard to dig deep and be gutsy against a crappy school because you feel embarrassed for being in such a vulnerable position in the first place.

I don't think there's any reason to think that Dantonio wants to just fuck around in this game. Even without Layne, Sparty's secondary isn't bad, 17th in passing s&p+ and Oregon's receivers have really been disappointing for them. Cristobal is trying to be about that power run game now and Michigan State is very well built to stop the opposing run game. I'd like to see Oregon get chalkier and hop on that Sparty defense at some point. Sparty got a month to chalk up creative ways to score on offense, like it worked against Penn State, the trickery.

Lean Florida too, big time. Havent really watched them though, can they score? Do they have a QB who can throw and run in Franks? Thats his name right?
Purdue game excites me, GT may be a banger in Paul Johnsons last game?
Lean OSU, Wash offense and Qb do nothing for me. OSU should be up as this is the Gdaddy. Urbs last game? Haskins last game? Wash corners really nice but havent seen WRs/pass game like OSU all year. I'd lean OSU with about zero confidence.
Sparty Oregon, OMFG who knows, Redbox Bowl. HUGE QB advantage for Ducks, HUGE HC advantage for Sparty. Game where Sparty will probably be ready but man they looked awful to end the year. Outback Bowl really does hate them.
Otherwise, dont know much about Kentucky besides passing game challenged. Snell is very good, solid defense, big time edge player. PSU defense got a lot better as year progressed and they play the run well, Kentucky wouldnt seem type of O to give them issues. Trace healthy, last game, could be beatdown if PSU O can drive the ball consisitently.

I don't blame the Outback Bowl for never taking MSU after how petulant the school and fans were last year.

herbert really needs a good game against a good defense for draft purposes

Herbert is as soft as a baby's head and GL to whatever team drafts him. He's Joey Harrington IMO.

After Taggart left Eugene, when talking about Herbert, he said that he was so quiet/insecure/to-himself...that he was uncomfortable walking around the locker room without his shirt on.

You want that guy to step up, be your highest paid player and to lead your offense? GL to ya...

And, before anyone asks... Lean Florida big time as of now. A lot of these guys have been around for both beat downs Michigan has put on them. They remember. I think this game is bigger for Florida. I do think that a handful of UM early entry guys could entertain sitting (Gary is out. Bush says he's playing. Long and Hill will be the ones of interest). But, we have a long way to go. The initial movement in Florida favor was no surprise.

Great mind!

I saw Florida immediately and agree-- This is a big game for that program--

Plus the speed mismatches will be exposed-- Michigan to me looks very slow on defense-- Looks like their players are all stocky and fat--

Florida will be faster at every position-- Michigan guys will rest for the pros---

Harbaughs offense is garbage anyway-

Herbert is as soft as a baby's head and GL to whatever team drafts him. He's Joey Harrington IMO.

After Taggart left Eugene, when talking about Herbert, he said that he was so quiet/insecure/to-himself...that he was uncomfortable walking around the locker room without his shirt on.

You want that guy to step up, be your highest paid player and to lead your offense? GL to ya...

Herbert is the worst QB i have ever seen--

NFL just accept that this year there are no good QBS-- Wait for TUA, maybe From, or Kyler if he chooses football--

DO NOT DRAFT HERBERT-- If hes not tearing up a pathetic PAC 12 league, whats he going to do in the NFL--

THe guy sucks

Great mind!

I saw Florida immediately and agree-- This is a big game for that program--

Plus the speed mismatches will be exposed-- Michigan to me looks very slow on defense-- Looks like their players are all stocky and fat--

Florida will be faster at every position-- Michigan guys will rest for the pros---

Harbaughs offense is garbage anyway-
Well, Mich is far from slow on defense. They are extremely fast. Yeah, they looked slow at OSU but they have the same speed as Florida... The big angle at this point is the motivation.

Whoever drafts a QB from the PAC 12 should be fired by the owner--

Pac 12 does not produce qbs with exception of LUCK--

even Mariotta has struggled in NFL and will never amount to much

Looks like the pac12 is the conference to back tuis bowl season. Doubt you go under .500 with this slate.

NW may not find endzone
Washington state with a chip
Washington with a chip
Asu outmatched
Stanford sucks but easy opponent
Cal gets a team as offensively inept as they are
Oregon slightly better than msu

And conference has to be motivated to turn perception around, particularly with what they did with uga ahead of ohio state

Just a feeling you go no worse than 4-3 there and if you drop ASU no worse than 4-2.

Sucks we couldnt get a half decent team against stanford for easy $

Josh f'n Rosen! That Darnold might pan out too.

Leinart jerseys are popular garage sale items I hear

On topic though, GT option should thrive on the fast track, don't like a side in Rose Bowl but by far the one I'm most interested in

I don't blame the Outback Bowl for never taking MSU after how petulant the school and fans were last year.
All I can say is Tampa is a great place to visit for a bowl. Even if you're coming from Atlanta or Athens, Georgia, it's still a distinctly warmer winter climate. If you're coming from Michigan what the hell are you going to complain about?

All I can say is Tampa is a great place to visit for a bowl. Even if you're coming from Atlanta or Athens, Georgia, it's still a distinctly warmer winter climate. If you're coming from Michigan what the hell are you going to complain about?
I think you missed what happened last year. The Outback took UM instead of MSU. The Spartan's went to the Holiday Bowl instead in San Diego. MSU faithful and the team threw a fit. They started a boycott of Outback Steakhouse. Apparently they have never seen that bowls take teams that travel better and get better ratings. It's a tradition that might not be fair but has went on forever.

Such idiots to complain about San Diego as opposed to Tampa, getting tired of that school myself. All the corporate office went there and the emails get out of touch, religious, etc. Borderline harassment. Fuck MSU. Hope they get thumped by that underwhelming Ducks team and stay home so this continues to happen. Pretty sure the Bay area does just fine without them.

As I said to MSU fans last year... You get a holiday trip to SD and to hang out with @braves ... What could be better?

Reactions: KJ
under 47 and let clock run in that one?
I am on +3.5 and Wisky ML, of course don't like current form but how much better has Miami been? Again I doubt Canes motivation will be all that great for the game portion of this trip.

Concern on under is that Wisky gets chunk yardage running the ball. Guess I tend to side with offense against what I perceive to be the unmotivated team as defense actually takes effort. Lots of running will make weather less important, but if it's real cold I have to imagine Miami won't be delaying that flight back home if they can avoid it.

That's what is so tough ... I rate Miami to be the more motivated team, even if less comfortable in any weather.

Herbert is the worst QB i have ever seen--

NFL just accept that this year there are no good QBS-- Wait for TUA, maybe From, or Kyler if he chooses football--

DO NOT DRAFT HERBERT-- If hes not tearing up a pathetic PAC 12 league, whats he going to do in the NFL--

THe guy sucks

If Kyler has even the slightest indication of a normal brain and thought process, there is a minimal chance that he doesn’t choose baseball. It makes much more sense on so many levels, and from all indications he’s smart enough to realize that.

Professional baseball players make way more money than pro football players, their careers are longer, and they’re not subjected to the possibility of CTE and every other injury that comes along with football as opposed to baseball. If he’s good enough to make it to the big leagues, there is no reason for him to choose football over baseball.

If Kyler has even the slightest indication of a normal brain and thought process, there is a minimal chance that he doesn’t choose baseball. It makes much more sense on so many levels, and from all indications he’s smart enough to realize that.

Professional baseball players make way more money than pro football players, their careers are longer, and they’re not subjected to the possibility of CTE and every other injury that comes along with football as opposed to baseball. If he’s good enough to make it to the big leagues, there is no reason for him to choose football over baseball.

I will play devils advocate.

With the evolution of the safety rules vs quarterbacks there is no better time to be a quarterback right now. With the spread offended QBs don’t Taje too many hits. The ball is coming out quick.
He could make 30 million dollars a year as the face of a franchise for many years.

His primary sport was football.

To maximize his athletic ability he should go play in the nfl because as good as a baseball player as he may become he will be recognized a lot more individually in the nfl.

To be ab elite nfl QB is the highest professional sport level in America hands down.

Back