B1G Bowl Season Discussion

I can't believe Malzahn and Jimbo Fisher are not on the hot seat for not winning championships this year. They make the same money as Jim per year basically. They should be calling for their heads.

All I can say is Tampa is a great place to visit for a bowl. Even if you're coming from Atlanta or Athens, Georgia, it's still a distinctly warmer winter climate. If you're coming from Michigan what the hell are you going to complain about?
I'm in Siesta Key and it's been 62-66 the last two days. I'm complaining. I come to this state for sun and heat, not fall Michigan football weather on a beach. Serenity now! Insanity later (when I return to Michigan)

Congrats to the Purdue guys on here for keeping Brohm..I thought for sure he would bolt. That's great for recruiting and general morale of program. It's like snagging a 5 star in recruiting.
Or each year he's there, a 5 star

And how long did Ohio State go without one? Was it 46 years, or I did I overlook something?
And let's remember it's 38 years and counting for Georgia.

I enjoyed typing that.

And 30 years for Notre Dame. too.

They got a 25% piece from the politicking of the Osborne retirement gift.

Frost asked the coaches to really think about which team they wouldn't want to play, the one who barely beat ryan leaf or the one that bitch slapped peyton manning. Tough decision, I'm sure, especially in hindsight.

Congrats to the Purdue guys on here for keeping Brohm..I thought for sure he would bolt. That's great for recruiting and general morale of program. It's like snagging a 5 star in recruiting.

Thank you sir! Such a big momentum boost and what could have been a multi year death blow with the wrong replacement. Sealed up the best class Purdue has brought in since the peak Tiller years and a few of the key pieces of the class enrolling early this month.

Most importantly this guy....

fondy, who will be the starter next year if you had to guess. think they just go right to the incoming true frosh?

fondy, who will be the starter next year if you had to guess. think they just go right to the incoming true frosh?

Hornibrook should be the starter if he isn't forced to walk away. Otherwise, I would say Coan unless he absolutely sucks it up. Graham Mertz is enrolling for the spring semester, so he will have those extra practices in the spring to start getting to the playbook. I absolutely love this incoming class, especially as they've been recruiting others the last few years. Didn't even realize until he signed yesterday that Bobby Engram's kid turned down Pedo U to sign with Bucky.

Mertz is the kid I was thinking of. big time offer list.

Reportedly had offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio St, Clemson, etc. Was great they were able to hang on to him and some of the other guys they stole from out of state (i.e. Logan Brown getting out of Michigan or the linebacker walk on that turned down a Gophers scholarship).

Did they just announce Hornibrook out today?

The line dropped to +3.

I know nothing about the backup but Hornibrook being out doesn't exactly strike me as a bad thing for wisky backers. And I would really like to take wisky in this spot.

It seems too obvious but unless there are a bunch of turnovers leading to points I don't see how this Miami/Wisconsin game goes over the total.

Last edited:
Did they just announce Hornibrook out today?

The line dropped to +3.

I know nothing about the backup but Hornibrook being out doesn't exactly strike me as a bad thing for wisky backers. And I would really like to take wisky in this spot.

Badgers' coach Chryst announced it around 9-10am est today.

One thing I forgot about Jack Coan was that he grew up about 60 miles from Yankee stadium (when he was NY Gatorade POY)

Does auburn give a shit?
I live 40 miles away and couldn’t tell you. Local coverage is about big brother. The fans want to win, but seem divided on the Gus Bus. I think they realize how expensive it is to get rid of him and have accepted the fact that he’ll be back for another season. Next year will be the proverbial straw if he doesn’t turn it around. Seeing Bama haul in the early front runner class doesn’t help them either. Couple that with A&M and LSU getting superior talent, the writing may be on the wall. I will say this, AU needs this win. Not saying they get it. But, it is two fold. Momentum for the offseason and SEC likes sticking it to the BIG.

Last edited:
Both Auburn and Wazzu have no reason to give a single shit on Friday.

Always respect your opinion but can you elaborate. I don't see why Purdue or ISU would be particularly more motivated than Auburn or Wazzu.

Auburn used the motivation excuse after their beatdown at the hands of National Champion UCF last year (played fairly tough against the champs and were at least somewhat competitive despite being out-manned) ... which I suppose lends itself to the team being weak of mind and heart and capable of laying down again but doesn't the coaching staff have plenty of reason to make sure the kids are motivated for them?

Also seems from reading that this is the most motivated team heading to a bowl under leach in a long time so wondering if you are just using the disappointment factor (lose conference, lose apple cup, lose a quality bowl and while they receive a quality opponent it has to be disappointing to be facing ISU) and the fact that ISU will outnumber them in the stands 2-1 or if there is something else like Leach not caring about bowls as a general rule.

I will hand up and listen and best of luck this bowl season.

Disappointment factor. This game doesn‘t mean anything to them. Its just a bowl for them when they had much loftier goals

I don't really understand that argument. Preseason goals outside of beating Alabama were ended on 10/06/18 and maybe that resulted in the disappointing effort against Tennessee the following week (which really ended any chance they had at a Big bowl) and then they followed that up with wins against Ole Miss and TAMU (even if TAMU was a bit flukey). Team looks like they have been motivated ever since the Vols loss to me but just aren't as good as they and most of the rest of us thought they would be. I would have thought if they were butthurt when everything but the Alabama game was lost just about a month into the season that would have gotten out of their system by now.

It's just a bowl game for Purdue too .... who was in control over their big10 destiny after the tigers season dreams were dashed against the rocks. Why does this game have meaning for them playing an average SEC team?

Certainly between the two coaching staffs i would think there is more urgency for Auburn .. though maybe the kids at Purdue want to reward the coach for staying with them. That could be a factor I guess.

Guess being the key word

I don't really understand that argument. Preseason goals outside of beating Alabama were ended on 10/06/18 and maybe that resulted in the disappointing effort against Tennessee the following week (which really ended any chance they had at a Big bowl) and then they followed that up with wins against Ole Miss and TAMU (even if TAMU was a bit flukey). Team looks like they have been motivated ever since the Vols loss to me but just aren't as good as they and most of the rest of us thought they would be. I would have thought if they were butthurt when everything but the Alabama game was lost just about a month into the season that would have gotten out of their system by now.

It's just a bowl game for Purdue too .... who was in control over their big10 destiny after the tigers season dreams were dashed against the rocks. Why does this game have meaning for them playing an average SEC team?

They had never expected to win the Big 10 so they were never disappointed. They‘re low-profile and get to face a big name

Auburn is the weakest sauce team mentally in the history of college football if dashed expectations the first week of October is effecting their motivation for a bowl game on 12/28/18. Not saying it isn't possible but if so, you have to let the coach go because you cannot lose a team's inspiration a month into the year in a P5 program.

Back