B1G Bowl Season Discussion

He's 5'9" Sammy and would get broken in two before ever seeing his 2nd contract

Obviously you need to cap different things now. This team has been lights out since b4 UM when I assume that Meyer told the players (that was the Tuesday thing I believe of that week). So, you gotta think they come out hungry again. It will be interesting to see how line shoots up from here.

They gameplanned perfectly for UM. They were hungry to beat their hated rivals. Took them a while to put NW away

I will play devils advocate.

With the evolution of the safety rules vs quarterbacks there is no better time to be a quarterback right now. With the spread offended QBs don’t Taje too many hits. The ball is coming out quick.
He could make 30 million dollars a year as the face of a franchise for many years.

His primary sport was football.

To maximize his athletic ability he should go play in the nfl because as good as a baseball player as he may become he will be recognized a lot more individually in the nfl.

To be ab elite nfl QB is the highest professional sport level in America hands down.

NFL careers are much shorter than MLB careers, and it’s not really even close, especially when talking about QBs. There are the elite QBs, who never seem to get hurt and play for a long time...those aren’t the type of QB that Kyler is though. Cam Newton takes a beating, but he’s a giant compared to Kyler.

NFL salaries are set for the first few years in the league, he’s not making anywhere close to $5 million/year let alone $30 million until he’s well established himself in the league and has more than likely actually won something...that doesn’t seem likely at all.

While I appreciate the devil’s advocate position and discussion, this is an absolute no brainer. I’m also not really sure what an NFL QB being “the highest pro sports level” really means in the discussion. It should be about financial opportunity, career longevity, and long term health. One pro sport is at the top of the list for that...and it’s clearly not football.

Last edited:
NFL careers are much shorter than MLB careers, and it’s not really even close, especially when talking about QBs. There are the elite QBs, who never seem to get hurt and play for a long time...those aren’t the type of QB that Kyler is though. Cam Newton takes a beating, but he’s a giant compared to Kyler.

NFL salaries are set for the first few years in the league, he’s not making anywhere close to $5 million/year let alone $30 million until he’s well established himself in the league and has more than likely actually won something...that doesn’t seem likely at all.

While I appreciate the devil’s advocate position and discussion, this is an absolute no brainer. I’m also not really sure what an NFL QB being “the highest pro sports level” really means in the discussion. It should be about financial opportunity, career longevity, and long term health. One pro sport is at the top of the list for that...and it’s clearly not football.

Cant fault him for choosing baseball- It is better for the health, non contact, etc and easy on the body.

If he were to play football he would have more impact on his team-- The QB has a huge impact- He could really use his skill set well.

There is no guarantee he will be another Russel Wilson as well.

Sucks to be so good at 2 sports!

Cant fault him for choosing baseball- It is better for the health, non contact, etc and easy on the body.

If he were to play football he would have more impact on his team-- The QB has a huge impact- He could really use his skill set well.

There is no guarantee he will be another Russel Wilson as well.

Sucks to be so good at 2 sports!

He may have more impact on his team in football, but that’s meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Would you value a longer career, more money (guaranteed at that), and potentially a longer/healthier life or having an impact on a sports team?

He may have more impact on his team in football, but that’s meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Would you value a longer career, more money (guaranteed at that), and potentially a longer/healthier life or having an impact on a sports team?

I hear you. Like most ppl follow the money.

When you factor in longevity health etc baseball is the best sport.

Nfl isn’t a good option from health with Cte etc. Some players get hit more than others but I suspect most end up with Cte.

I guess you could also factor in which sport you are better in?

Lebron chose basketball and he is obviously one of best ever.
But he could have also started in the nfl but as you eloquently pointed out he would already be retired from the nfl and his body would be busted up.

I hear you. Like most ppl follow the money.

When you factor in longevity health etc baseball is the best sport.

Nfl isn’t a good option from health with Cte etc. Some players get hit more than others but I suspect most end up with Cte.

I guess you could also factor in which sport you are better in?

Lebron chose basketball and he is obviously one of best ever.
But he could have also started in the nfl but as you eloquently pointed out he would already be retired from the nfl and his body would be busted up.

If Bo Jackson only played pro baseball, imagine how his career would have shaped up.

Congrats to the Purdue guys on here for keeping Brohm..I thought for sure he would bolt. That's great for recruiting and general morale of program. It's like snagging a 5 star in recruiting.

Kyler Murray is a helluva baseball player. MLB ready. Smart kid. Awesome CFB player. Been fun to watch.

If Bo Jackson only played pro baseball, imagine how his career would have shaped up.

You'd have to figure in how long his leg would last after breaking bats over it. Probably didn't hurt him at all.
Guy was a monster, except vs. the Ags in the Cotton Bowl.

Obv if we could break down full game/1h/2h etc with situations there would be some very high percentages in certain aspects.

Florida +7.5 -110. (Large).

I'll type up some initial reasoning on this in a little bit.

Last edited:
Okay, here is my quick take as of 12/8/2018 on the above play.

If this game was played in the regular season, Michigan would win pretty comfortably. This is basically the SEC equivalent of Penn State in my opinion (not exact style but as far as how I would rate them). It would be a comfortable 27-30 to 13-17 kind of game.

But...

Bowls are becoming more and more of an animal nowadays.

So, why do I like Florida as of today?

-Nothing has changed, this team will be motivated. Many of them remember getting smoked in Dallas to begin last season.
-Several players were around for the 2016 Citrus Bowl, which was also a blowout(obviously not a lot, but I am sure this is being used by the staff)
-This bowl game will mean more to them. It is a solid accomplishment to cap off a pretty good season. They have to like how the program arc is going right now.

So, why do I not like Michigan as of today?

-Motivation is big. Now, several players have noted they really want a good bowl showing after last years 2nd half collapse. I am not buying that in totality.
-I expect, as I said, that several players on defense will not play. Gary is announced out. I fully expect Bush, Hill and Long to join along with maybe another one up in the air. That is 4 draft picks right there not playing. The corners will be felt the most out of all this(if they do not play)
-Either way, this defense (throw away the Urban retirement game which they got blasted to another planet) when at full or near full strength is pretty damn good, among the best still. The thing is, they won't be at full strength most likely.
-I would expect you'll hear about one key contributor on offense not playing as well. We shall see.

This line, in my estimation has topped out. I do not see it going much higher or really at all. The initial movement last Sunday was towards the Florida side and I expect it will close below 7.

Now, I am not one that believes in betting too early this time of year due to suspensions/etc. Well, we are really taking a gamble here when it comes to the Gators! lol. They always have some players that cannot keep their nose clean during the break from school.

Either way, I do expect to keep the bet or I can buy off. I want the number and feel good about it in this particular game. I in no way would endorse such a play in a regular season game.

let me add, goals were not set....

This is a letdown for UM, obviously. They had a damn good season, relative to many projections beforehand and were the one B1G Team to outplay their initial ranking from the summer. I just don't know how they get up for this at all. Now, I know what I would LIKE to see but we'll visit that here in the next few weeks...

I fully expect Bush, Hill and Long to join along with maybe another one up in the air.

Why? I mean Gary wasn‘t much of a surprise considering he kind of stayed quiet during the season anyways? But those other guys...source?

And doesn‘t Mich like its program arc right now and have a bad bowl memory that it wants to overcome?

Solid play and agree. Intangibles favor Florida big time. Michigan could have up to 5 guys out. Harbaugh rather have his kids ready for the pros then ball out. Michigan is like a terrible triple A baseball team that just wants to get their players ready for bigs. Terrible philosophy and one of the reasons they can't win right now.

Hard for me to see how Michigan could care about this bowl after thinking that it'll go to the playoffs only to get killed by its rival. Now it has to play in some pretty meaningless game and Florida yet again instead of against Bama.

Last edited:
Solid play and agree. Intangibles favor Florida big time. Michigan could have up to 5 guys out. Harbaugh rather have his kids ready for the pros then ball out. Michigan is like a terrible triple A baseball team that just wants to get their players ready for bigs. Terrible philosophy and one of the reasons they can't win right now.
I definitely don't agree with any of this. It doesn't matter who coached the team, these guys would be sitting as is.

I fully expect Bush, Hill and Long to join along with maybe another one up in the air.

Why? I mean Gary wasn‘t much of a surprise considering he kind of stayed quiet during the season anyways? But those other guys...source?

And doesn‘t Mich like its program arc right now and have a bad bowl memory that it wants to overcome?
Bowl games are meaningless now more than ever. This will get worse and worse every year. As far as source, don't worry about that. Thank you.

Michigan in general is all about fitting square pegs in round holes bar. Thats my whole point. Bowls just part of it. I don't blame the kids but think the culture there influences it.

Think it was Hunt's thread I said it, think one team gets mid 30s (at least) and the other mid-upper 20s at least, no side interest for me. Guessing we see not only some gimmicks but so much speed on the fast track...possibly defensive scores too but love how it sets up for points

It’s a motivation thing. Massive OSU win / Big Ten title / playoff berth ahead of you, you lose badly, and your consolation is a bowl game against a team whose ass you’ve kicked twice in a row, including to kick off last year with a lot of these same players on Michigan then.

There’s absolutely no reason for them to give a damn about this game, meanwhile a ton for UF. Lot there for Mullen to use riling them up, also I don’t see even without the motivation how Michigan’s offense scores enough points. Winner of this game is a coin flip.

Michigan in general is all about fitting square pegs in round holes bar. Thats my whole point. Bowls just part of it. I don't blame the kids but think the culture there influences it.
Agree to disagree.

I like Oregon TT under. I think Dantonio with all this time to prepare will shut Herbie down. Already has good experience against mobile qb's (like Trace), Oregon's receivers been subpar and MSU got that top running D.

Last edited:
Got a feeling MSU wins. Especially when Hebert announces he won't play..you know it's coming.

MSU gonna be down both starting corners tho and the backup, which could be meaningful if he does play and if he is healthy

Back