Andrei Kirilenko Wants To Be Traded

Marcus000

Fondy's bitch
Utah Jazz: Kirilenko demands trade
From Russian without love: He's tired of playing for Jazz
By Ross Siler
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 09/19/2007 01:52:43 AM MDT

With the Jazz set to report to training camp in less than two weeks, Andrei Kirilenko's summer of discontent apparently came full circle Tuesday in the form of a trade demand that echoed in Russian and English.
Barely 48 hours after leading Russia to gold at the European championships in Spain, Kirilenko seemingly wrote a blog post on the Russian Web site Sport Today that he was ready to leave Utah after six seasons.
"In a week, I need to join the Utah Jazz again, but quite frankly, I'm not really happy about that,'' wrote Kirilenko, who was named MVP of the EuroBasket tournament. "The past season was bad for me and I was really disappointed.
"I've thought about it a lot and I came to a decision. I want to leave Utah Jazz. The European championships that just ended became sort of a test for me and now I think I know what I want to do."
The blog post - at www.sports.ru/blog/kirilenko - was translated by a member of The Tribune's staff.
Kirilenko also revealed that he talked to Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations, a few weeks ago and asked to be traded. O'Connor said Tuesday that he had spoken with Kirilenko but declined to comment on what was said.
"What you're trying to do is overall look at the success he's had with us,'' O'Connor said. "He has a long-term contract with us and I don't think we would have given him a contract like that if we weren't confident
he'd be here."
Kirilenko is required to report for camp by Oct. 1 and O'Connor said, "We explained to him when everybody was supposed to be back and we expect him to be here."
The Jazz would face sizable obstacles in trying to trade Kirilenko, their highest-paid player owed $63 million through the 2010-11 season. They also face untold distractions as they open the season trying to build off a conference finals appearance.
Of his conversation with O'Connor, Kirilenko wrote, "I told him that I don't see myself in the team and want to leave." He added: "I don't want myself and my contract to be a burden for the club. I want the club to continue in its own direction."
But Kirilenko wrote that he hadn't heard back from O'Connor or the organization in a week, which he took as a sign of disrespect.
"There's no response negative or positive and this silence is just one more evidence of the way they treat me,'' Kirilenko wrote. "Nevertheless, I'm really hopeful that Utah Jazz leadership will understand that our relationship is over and it's time for us to part ways."
Kirilenko drew contrasts throughout between Jerry Sloan's coaching style and that of Russian coach David Blatt. Kirilenko averaged 18 points and 8.6 rebounds at EuroBasket, reversing course after the worst season of his career with the Jazz.
While crediting Sloan with his growth as a player, Kirilenko wrote that Blatt "helped me to realize a dream." Kirilenko also took issue with Sloan for motivating players through criticism, reminding them of the millions they earn and harping on the mistakes they make.
"Right now, I feel that I'm not growing as a player,'' Kirilenko wrote. "I'm trying but it doesn't work. I am not allowed. I do not get support from the coach and from the club. I'm convinced that Sloan's methods have a negative impact on me."
Kirilenko was the Jazz's sixth-leading scorer (8.3 points) last season and took just six shots a game, half the number he averaged for Russia.
The 26-year-old forward broke down in tears during the Jazz's first-round playoff series and later voiced his frustration to a Russian newspaper, complaining about feeling ignored in the offense and treated like a rookie, instead of a franchise player.
Jazz owner Larry Miller and Sloan fired back, and the team hoped a summer apart would repair the relationship. At the time Sloan said, "I don't see us changing everything we do for Andrei Kirilenko. I don't see any team in the league doing that."
Trading a player with a maximum contract is complicated to say the least. The Jazz would have to approximately match player salaries in any deal, up to 125 percent plus $100,000 under NBA rules. Kirilenko will make $13.7 million this season.
In what sounded like goodbye, Kirilenko thanked Jazz fans for their support. "I have no doubt they will understand the motives that move me," he wrote.
rsiler@sltrib.com
---
* Michael Nakoryakov contributed to this story.

I can't believe Training camp is 2 weeks away

This summer breezed by.

Off topic..I kept up with daily NBA stuff till about 2 weeks ago...

did varajoe/Sasha ever resign?

I saw Bell to Heat and Royla Ivey to Bucks..

Bout it

After last season, I don't know of any team who would want to take on that kind of salary. The only team that comes to mind is Memphis.

The radio has been blowing up with AK talk today. Lots of thoughts on the whole mess. I'll try to post some later, but bottom line is that I don't think he's going anywhere. The Jazz are going to hell him they'd like to trade him, but it's very difficult to trade a guy that averages 8 points and 5 boards a game with a salary of 13.7 million. This guy is so childish and so immature it's comical. He's really no diffent than T.O. expect Owens actually helps his team when the ball is in his hands while Jazz fans get that pukey feeling when AK has the ball.

Not saying AK is being rational but Sloan is too old and too emotional. The team needs a change.

I actually still think Kirilenko could be useful but he's not worth the trouble if he's going to be a distraction like this at his salary. I still think some team would probably deal a bad contract for him, but at the point why bother if you are the Jazz...

AK47 welcome to the Toronto Raptors.

BC made a push before last years deadline and i believe he'll take another run at him now. I guarantee AK47 made some general inquiries about the Raptors from the Euro-Raptors. (half our team was participating at FIBA this year.)

Ford
Parker
AK47
Bosh
Bargnani

AK47 welcome to the Toronto Raptors.

BC made a push before last years deadline and i believe he'll take another run at him now. I guarantee AK47 made some general inquiries about the Raptors from the Euro-Raptors. (half our team was participating at FIBA this year.)

Ford
Parker
AK47
Bosh
Bargnani

i'm up for that :-)

I wonder if the Jazz might just void AK's contract. It would only be the 2nd time that a contract in the CBA that a player agreed to have his contract voided. The first? Derrick Fisher a couple of months ago becuase he wanted to go to LA for his daughters eye care. Hmmm. I'm not sure what to think right now. The Jazz are going to need the money to resign DWill and Millsap, but AK can be one of the best three "defensive" players in the league when he wants. Somebody is going to be dissapointed when they get this guy. He really wants to average 20+ a game and he has the offensive capabilities to average 18 a game in Russia. 18 in Russia doesn't translate to 20+ in the NBA.

I can't believe Training camp is 2 weeks away

This summer breezed by.

Off topic..I kept up with daily NBA stuff till about 2 weeks ago...

did varajoe/Sasha ever resign?

I saw Bell to Heat and Royla Ivey to Bucks..

Bout it

:down2:

Back