ALCS Discussion -- Astros vs Rangers --

Im gonna have to do actually homework on this one, the other I think is fairly cut and dry. Stros have the kind of dudes who knows what winning in the postseason all about, even when they bring a new on, even if he looked washed up most the year, sept comes around and he transformed back into not just the player they thought they were getting but a dude making a huge impact in the biggest games. These dudes understand winning baseball, don’t swing out their damn shoes when runners on base and they got 2 strikes, they shorten up, take good at bats and punch good pitches over the infield, if you make a mistake they put it over the fence! Dusty baker trust his guys, even pitchers who struggled this year he was still willing to leave them out there and it paid off. I still don’t think their pitching as good this year and it will be interesting cause the rangers do not chase much! It won’t be as easy as the overanxious twins swinging at one ball after another!

Rangers don’t really have the postseason experience as a whole but they got a lot of dudes who been in the big moments and have performed on other teams, they also got a HOF manager that has always had the Midas touch in the post season. Rangers biggest problem they so damn streaky in the 2nd half? Can they stay hot throughout another series facing the best pitching they have seen? I have no concerns about seager, he damn near cancels out Alvarez! It’s the depth of experienced guys on the Stros I know will take one good at bat after another, rangers lineup deep w talent but that when we start getting into the guys who havnt really did it on this stage, it certainly doesn’t mean they can’t do it. Just means I think the price is justified but in no way means Stros gonna win.

If Valdez was himself I’d say Stros pitching wins this but he really hasn’t been, Javier was great in minny but again I’m not sure against this lineup who doesn’t expend the zone much his walks could be a huge problem! He walked 5 against twins and they swung at a crap load of balls! Rangers been basically getting thru these series w 2 starters! Lol. Obviously they gonna need to find a few guys who can give them 5-6 innings and keep them in games other than Montgomery and Eovaldi! I’m not super convinced Montgomery can get thru houston lineup 2x let alone 3, I have to look closer at that but let’s be honest bout him, he a solid #3 who doesn’t exactly have put away stuff if you don’t swing at his pitches,, Eovaldi the only rangers starter I trust vs houston at the moment, maybe I’ll find some matchups I like for them but right now that feels like a problem, even w Stros pitching not being as good as other years they still have 4 guys with good enough stuff to slow down any lineup for 5+ innings. I guess I lean Stros but I have to look at how these guys matched up all year and dive closer into hitter/pitcher matchups. Im not in a hurry to lay juice or -1.5 games like I was on the NL

Great news on Scherzer. I assumed he was done for the season but this is a fairly miraculous turnaround given his prognosis a month+ back.

We'll take anything he can give.

Dallas Morning News:
ARLINGTON – Well, put it this way: Bruce Bochy didn’t absolutely commit Thursday to Max Scherzer starting a game for the Rangers in the AL Championship Series. But he couldn’t have come much closer.

A day after Scherzer threw 60 pitches over four innings of a simulated game, Bochy said the Rangers were “really encouraged,” about the possibilities. Bochy also indicated that the Rangers would lean towards using Scherzer, who has been dealing with a strained teres major muscle behind his shoulder, as a starter rather than out of the bullpen. Scherzer has not pitched in a game since September 12.

The Rangers were still waiting for final word on how Scherzer recovered after the game simulation. They do not have to finalize their roster until Sunday. The Rangers can’t afford to err on the side of aggressiveness with Scherzer because if he is placed on the roster and then must be taken off due to injury, he’d be ineligible should the team make the World Series.

“Max is doing well,” Bochy said. “He had a nice outing yesterday. We have some time here before we set this roster, but we have to be really encouraged with how he threw the ball.

“I think you have to go with what you see too much as what he’s telling you, but we watched him, and it was good. As I said, really, really encouraging. He threw enough to where the stamina and strength showed up. We just want to make sure.”

I don't think he pitched against the Rangers this season.

Going to be a fun series. The teams hate each other.

Central:
Game 1: Sunday: Texas at Houston, 7:15 p.m. (Fox)
Game 2: Monday: Texas at Houston, 3:37 p.m. (Fox or FS1)
Game 3: Wednesday: Houston at Texas, 7:03 p.m. (FS1)
Game 4: Thursday: Houston at Texas, 7:03 p.m. (FS1)
Game 5*: Friday: Houston at Texas, 4:07 p.m. (FS1)
Game 6*: Sunday, Oct. 22: Texas at Houston, 7:03 p.m. (FS1)
Game 7*: Monday, Oct. 23: Texas at Houston, 7:03 p.m. (Fox/FS1)

This is what I wanted as a fan for sure.
Houston is gonna be a real tough out over 7 game series…

I’d say so, They been the best team in baseball going on almost a decade now! Fuckers poached all the front office guys who make the 2000s -2010s cardinals great! Left us w this fucking retard Mozalock who running team into the ground!!

I just dunno if rangers have the pitching? They have used 2 guys basically to win both series!! Lol. You can’t do that in a 7 game series, Bochey is a freaking magician who has been pushing right bottoms on many teams who I don’t think had the most talent and still won it all!! Can Eovaldi do like madbum? Madbum was much younger I believe and it shaved a lot of years off his career, I don’t think it be fair to even ask Eovaldi to try anything so crazy!! Stros just have a lineup full of professional hitters who know what it takes, gonna grind down rangers pitching amd I dunno they have enough arms to last?

I don’t think the layoff is good for rangers at all, this been the most up and down team in the entire 2nd half. Win 5, lose 6, win 7, lose 4. Score 10+ for a week, can’t get a guy home from 3rd to save their lives the next!! The team as a whole doesn’t have the experience but they do have some big time guys who know what it takes plus a manger as well (managing a draw Id say as dusty very good also), ultimately I think Stros have more depth of guys made for this moment, unless rangers can get some starters back I just don’t see where the pitching comes from? I will say there a chance they can turn this into a high scoring series, I think they have to, a few the Stros pitchers been inconsistent this year, they were great vs twins but twins swung at so so so many balls!! Rangers are a very good plate disciplined team, they won’t get themselves out over and over swinging at balls. That their only path I see, get Stros pitchers to walk a bunch of ppl and get them out the game early.

Wanted to play yordan h/r/rbi cause well
He the man and Eovaldi hasn’t hardly gotten him out at all. Little worried bout Alvarez and news he under the weather, didn’t look like himself last night, he usually hits lefties, I dunno if Montgomery was just that great or he off his game? Lot of goid choices as the Stros hit Eovaldi really well, I think this be his 1st postseason hiccup. Altuve sets the table and has also hit Eovaldi well. Think Stros have to score cause j just don’t trust Valdez right now, he been so inconsistent this year. If he able to go 5+ and hold rangers to a couple runs it a huge win and Stros bats need to get the offense going, I think that they will today, get a few off Eovaldi early amd then get into the rangers pen and do some damage.

I enjoy hitter props at times in the postseason but it's tough to take much that requires total bases or hits against Javier because he's so religiously out of the strike zone so often. Walks are prop killers usually unless the runner ends up scoring.

Haven't even looked at props yet but that's important before even starting.

Max is back!
Pulling for the Rangers but I'm not thrilled with this. I want to fade him somehow but not sure how yet. Could surprise and prove me wrong just not a fan of adding an expected stud to the rotation that's been plenty sufficient to this point.

Pulling for the Rangers but I'm not thrilled with this. I want to fade him somehow but not sure how yet. Could surprise and prove me wrong just not a fan of adding an expected stud to the rotation that's been plenty sufficient to this point.

I def feel like I’m guessing more on this side, I mean it really tough to know wtf we gonna see out of any Stros starter as most of them were inconsistent all season. I still don’t completely trust rangers offense tho, if we being honest bout game 2 they got a couple 70mph singles then a tap back to pitcher error to lead to those runs, it not like they hit the ball hard. I kinda feel like they lining these things backwards with Stros favs at home but now dogs on road, dunno if they just wernt paying attention but Stros were crap at home and had the best road run differential in baseball I believe. No team has ever made a WS who had a losing home record in reg season but I still believe they win at least today, I think they win 2 in Arlington.

I don’t wanna get cute w props cause I just don’t know, no freaking clue what Max has in the tank? Stros hit him and in this park. I think rangers pen has been getting closer to showing some cracks and not sure they can get by with the same 3 guys they have been these next few games? I don’t feel much more confident in Javier who was inconsistent most the year, he looked great against the twins but man did they swing at a ton of pitches out the zone!! Will rangers chase that much? I know they very disciplined far as not chasing fastballs out the zone but they were chasing a lot of Framber curves after the 1st inning.

I just took the plus money on Stros tonight, said this gm4 last round in minny, I just can’t fathom laying juice to play against these guys in playoffs, especially when it on the road where they getting the plus money, where they been a better team all year, and with their season on the line. I just don’t see any other play outside Stros +115 or whatever it is,, I can live with losing that play, anything else I’d be kicking myself.

all that said I think houston has to win all 3 in Arlington to win this series, I don’t think they can go back to houston down 3-2 and win 6 and 7.

Interesting stat. Teams leading after the freaking 4th inning have won 23 of 25 games this post season I believe the number is after last night!!! Considering some the questionable pens in these playoffs that seems crazy to me! Feel like Stros need to jump out early and get a couple runs today but I do think they are gonna win one these games in the later innings cause they still have a distinct pen adv imo,

I’ll stand with the ones that think bringing Max back is a bad idea. Javier has looked pretty good last time out and the HOU batters hit for him plus the park as mentioned.

Downside is it’s Mad Max and what if he has an all timer HOF type game…..

Leaning to the plus money

I’ll stand with the ones that think bringing Max back is a bad idea. Javier has looked pretty good last time out and the HOU batters hit for him plus the park as mentioned.

The way I looked at it was simply Stros going down 3-0, being much better away, no clue what we see from max and thinking rangers pen is close to cracking. If I lose playing Stros here I can live with it, if I played against them and lost it be much tougher for me to swallow. They have built up more than enough playoff equity with me I have no problem taking plus money on them to make this a series. If they lose I’ll tip my cap.

Reactions: KJ
Hoping to get 65 - 70 pitches out of Scherzer today. Eovaldi came back from arm trouble in early September, without a rehab assignment, similar to what Scherzer is doing. Got battered, by the Astros. Once Scherzer cleared his simulated game last week with 70 pitches, and with his history, this was a no-brainer for Bochy. The alternative was to try Dunning or Heaney today but he can at least put that off until tomorrow.

I have PTSD from the Labor Day 3-game series in Arlington watching the Astros bludgeon the Rangers, 39-10. Altuve hit 5 home runs in 8 ABs during that series, or some crazy #. Crowd was 60/40 Rangers during that series. Will be interesting to see what it's like tonight. Can't be that bad.

Different teams now, especially the Rangers getting healthly plus the addition of Carter. Sounds like he will be moved up further in the lineup tonight. Astros are happy to be away from Houston and going to a place that has been their preferred home of late.

Runs to be scored tonight, me thinks.

Hoping to get 65 - 70 pitches out of Scherzer today. Eovaldi came back from arm trouble in early September, without a rehab assignment, similar to what Scherzer is doing. Got battered, by the Astros. Once Scherzer cleared his simulated game last week with 70 pitches, and with his history, this was a no-brainer for Bochy. The alternative was to try Dunning or Heaney today but he can at least put that off until tomorrow.

I have PTSD from the Labor Day 3-game series in Arlington watching the Astros bludgeon the Rangers, 39-10. Altuve hit 5 home runs in 8 ABs during that series, or some crazy #. Crowd was 60/40 Rangers during that series. Will be interesting to see what it's like tonight. Can't be that bad.

Different teams now, especially the Rangers getting healthly plus the addition of Carter. Sounds like he will be moved up further in the lineup tonight. Astros are happy to be away from Houston and going to a place that has been their preferred home of late.

Runs to be scored tonight, me thinks.

I def been thinking of adding a over bet

Couldn’t resist a few props! Lol.

I did a sgp w

Hou ml
Ov 8.5
Brantley 2+ bases
Alvarez 2+ bases

Straight

Brantley ov 1.5 h/r/rbi +115
Yordan ov 1.5 h/r/rbi -120

Alvarez is there really anything to say? Dude a straight up Beast, I was a idiot not playing him last game cause some stupid report he was sick, dude crushes 2 bombs!! I don’t see much point not playing him every game.

I love Brantley, he was struggling and did bunch of work before game 2 and looked way better. He has seen scherzer a ton and holds a .370 ba and over 1.100 ops in 50+ at bats vs him. Love the prices on Brantley here, he the kind of guy who helps Stros win these kind of games and he looked locked in last game.

could be rusty

could be rusty

Even at his peak he wasn’t able to go more than 5 innings against Stros in the WS. Considering we talking like 70 pitches sounds like the number if he not incredibly efficient he won’t be going 5 and I gotta think Stros will work counts unless they just tag him. This gonna leave a lot of work for rangers to piece together before they can even get to the 3 pen guys they been counting on these playoffs. I just can’t believe Stros can’t find a way to win this game, even if mad max is great which can’t be more than a 50/50 deal there no way he pitching past 5, 4 innings is prob more likely and I just don’t think it gonna be a clean 4 either.

Yordan is a freaking beast. Had a home run ribbed and still gets couple knocks and RBI’s. Just play that guy every day! They can’t get him out!! Unless they jump over the damn wall!!

Guessing Dunning for the Rangers. Won't matter to the Astros. They see the ball so well in Globe Life. Child's play.

Assume it be Urquidy for houston. Forgot for a second who they had, lol. Def over. I’ll def be playing Yordan props again. If they give me plus money I’ll be on Stros again.

Freaking Brantley cost me the perfect night. After he didht get shit of sherzer I knew it be tough, they brought a lhp in for him every at bat after max left, that works against him, not Yordan!

Freaking Brantley cost me the perfect night. After he didht get shit of sherzer I knew it be tough, they brought a lhp in for him every at bat after max left, that works against him, not Yordan!
I'm thinking of switching to the Under on Brantley, cause he's probably missing an a.b. late in the game for defense.

Astros will win tomorrow. Hate to say it but pretty confident. That park is simply their playland. Won five straight in Arlington and seven of eight games there this season. In that stretch, they’ve outscored the Rangers 71-37.

Feels like a 9 - 5 type game tomorrow.

I'm thinking of switching to the Under on Brantley, cause he's probably missing an a.b. late in the game for defense.

I dunno, he made that play tonight and I kept expecting him to get pitch hit for but never happened. I despise under props so I’ll prob just bail on him, which of course means he will double and score his 1st at bat 2marro. Lol.

Astros will win tomorrow. Hate to say it but pretty confident. That park is simply their playland. Won five straight in Arlington and seven of eight games there this season. In that stretch, they’ve outscored the Rangers 71-37.

Feels like a 9 - 5 type game tomorrow.
Great call!!

Heaney tonight for Rangers.

Talking on local (Dallas) radio this AM that Dunning may not be completely healthy else he'd be on the mound.

Weird internal vibe....2 innings into that last night and my entire feel changed to Houston winning the series. Maybe it will just be that they win all 3 in Arlington as that's what I expect to happen. From there, then maybe it's best for the Rangers to just go back to Houston.

Side note - It was weird that there were so many empties in the stadium last night, not sure how you waste seats 2 rows behind the home dugout but there were multiple that were so the entire game. Then when they did the high-up pan there were empties everywhere else (box seats). Makes my head spin when someone's not in the park for games like these.

Talking on local (Dallas) radio this AM that Dunning may not be completely healthy else he'd be on the mound.

Weird internal vibe....2 innings into that last night and my entire feel changed to Houston winning the series. Maybe it will just be that they win all 3 in Arlington as that's what I expect to happen. From there, then maybe it's best for the Rangers to just go back to Houston.

Side note - It was weird that there were so many empties in the stadium last night, not sure how you waste seats 2 rows behind the home dugout but there were multiple that were so the entire game. Then when they did the high-up pan there were empties everywhere else (box seats). Makes my head spin when someone's not in the park for games like these.

I really think rangers just have to win 1 of these 3 at home. I don’t think Stros can go home and take 6 and 7.

Them going w Heany gives me pause on Tucker, I don’t mind him and def not Alvarez vs lhp but he hasn’t had any success vs Heany. Of course how many innings Heaney gonna pitch? 3ish? Best case maybe 4?

Back