You know the funny thing about that game, Mully, is that the loss would have saved me from rooting in an Eagles/Browns SB.

That said, I technically hadn't become a Browns fan yet, but still.

Horses, I agree with you, and it really, really depends on a lot of different things.

But again, if it's the teams as they are right now, I would say there's some value in the Raiders at anything over +3. Anything under that you'd have to look to SD. But I've got to think that the Raiders will be working extremely hard for this specific game.

They're horrible vs. SD as you point out. So a win here might really convince this whole team that they've hit bottom and started the turnaround.

I think the only thing that would dictate a play for me in this would be the line. I'm not sure I can see big enough changes in the offseason either way that would really make this an attractive game to me.

Maybe if McFadden and Fatakowski get loaded up on goof balls and get busted at a Spudnuts at 3 AM and are suspended for the game or something like that, then I'm in.

Meet Mike Mitchell

<!-- 1 -->
michaelmitchell250x198.jpg
USAToday.com
Ohio safety Mike Mitchell puts a hit on.

His name is Michael Mitchell, but he answers to Mike. He's listed as a strong safety, but he prefers just safety because he can play both strong and free.
Who knows? The potential sleeper pick from Ohio University just might be a late-round answer to a Raiders secondary in search of a big-time safety ever since Rod Woodson left. With just three safeties on the roster, there's no question the Raiders want to add competition and talent to the system.
Mitchell took time out to chat shortly after visiting the Raiders (along with TCU center Blake Schlueter and South Carolina tight end Jared Cook) Friday.
Q: How was the visit?
A: "It went amazing, absolutely amazing. Everything I thought it would be. This team has the most history of any franchise in football. To see all the pictures of all those great players up on the wall, to have (secondary coaches) Lionel Washington and Willie Brown actually speaking to me, it was so humbling. It's definitely an organization I want to be a part of.
Q: You're listed as a strong safety but I hear you played free safety last season. Which is it?
A: "I can do both things. I can do both very well. At strong safety, I can be a very imposing force against the run and in the pass game. At free, I can be a guy who covers well and gets interceptions. I have a lot of God-given gifts than can really help, especially an organization that needs a safety."
Q: This is your eighth official visit of the month, including a trip to Cleveland. Can next Saturday get here fast enough?
A: "I'm extremely exhausted. I've spent more time in airports and airplanes than I have in my own house the past 3 1/2 weeks. I'm looking forward to bring in my home (Friday night) in my own home, my own sheets and wake up to the sounds of my own house. Can't wait for my mom to come into my room at 8 a.m. singing that Mickey Mouse song like she's been doing as long as I can remember. She drives me crazy with that song but breakfast is usually right after that so I can't complain."
** Mitchell was not invited to the NFL combine, but the 6-0, 221-pounder got attention by running a 4.32-second 40 at his pro day workout with 21 bench reps and a 37 1/2 broad jump.
Judge for yourself by clicking here for a youtube highlight reel. For more about where he could fit it on the Raiders, check Monday's Chronicle (newspaper version and/or sfgate.com)

Suprise Pick Coming In Top Ten?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2009, 1:37 p.m.

There’s chatter in league circles that a surprise pick could be made in the top ten of the 2009 draft.

Of course, that could be said in any given year.

But one source connected to one of the teams picking in the top ten thinks that an eyebrow-raising pick could be coming, given the names that currently are expected to be called at the top of the draft.

We’ve got a weird feeling that the surprise could be Percy Harvin to the Raiders at No. 7.

Remember this — 31 teams can scream “no way in hell” from the tops of their lung. But if only one says “yes” in round one, then the player is a first-round pick.

Harvin fits the Raiders profile.

Receiver. Fast. Potentially explosive. Perceived bad boy.

But NFLN’s Mike Mayock recently told Dan Patrick that Harvin has top-ten talent. And one team that possibly wouldn’t care about a little weed and/or a lot of attitude is the Raiders.

:36_11_6::36_11_6:

Throwback we need to get DHB,

That safety in the interview from Ohio,

And I hear we might take Percy Harvin @ 7 now...lol

seems like a retarded pick, when you could take Maclin who has so much game speed and is a better overall WR plus would return kicks. It's really hard to be a fan of this team.

seems like a retarded pick, when you could take Maclin who has so much game speed and is a better overall WR plus would return kicks. It's really hard to be a fan of this team.

we got a pro bowl calibur Kick and Punt returner already (Higgins and Miller)

we needed a #1 calibur wr who could stretch the field.

It was between DHB and Crabs, Crabs didnt want 2 be a Raider

Ya from Crabtree's "no comment" when asked about playing with the raiders to someone around him saying "whew" when the Raiders didnt take him he can go fuck himself having the ball thrown to him by Shaun Hill. And Maclin is basically Johnny Lee Higgins so there was no need for him. The more I think about this draft pick the more I like it.

People talk crap about Al but over the past few years he has drafted well, McFadden, Bush, Howard, Morrison, Nnamdi, Jamarcus too if keeps up the development he had when Cable took over as HC.

Q and A with Cable after the pick

What Raiders coach Tom Cable said after the Raiders’ selection of Darrius Heyward-Bey with the No. 7 pick in the first round of the draft:

Opening statement: Well, this is a very exciting time obviously, announcing the pick for Darrius Heyward-Bey, a wide receiver from Maryland. This is the guy we wanted all along. It really, as I said probably about a month ago, there’s one guy in the draft who makes our entire team better. He makes Zach Miller better, he makes JaMarcus better, he makes Darren McFadden better, and Justin Fargas, Michael Bush, Johnnie Lee Higgins, Chaz Schilens, on and on and on, we now have a guy that we can throw the ball over the top of anybody and he can go get it. So this is a very exciting team. He helps us obviously what we do running the football but he gives us that deep threat that traditionally has been the Oakland Raiders. Really, just an awesome awesome time for us and excited to have Darrius, look forward to getting him here to minicamp and letting him show some of that speed.

Q: Why him over Crabtree and Maclin?

Cable:: This is a guy that i had targeted a month ago in the thing. He’s the one guy who’s made everyone better around him. We needed, as has been mentioned and written by all of you, we needed the ability to throw the ball over people’s head and JaMarcus has obviously shown he can outthrow most everything. This is a guy now who can go run that down and catch it. As I mentioned, he’s going to make Zach Miller better, and Johnnie Lee and Chaz Schilens and Darren MvcFadden and Bush and ultimately he’s going to help JaMarcus be the kind of quarterback we’re trying to get him to be.

Q: His college numbers don’t suggest that?

Cable: Well, different system and obviously when you look at what he did in yards per catch, his explosiveness, amazing. When you real y break him down and look at him for what it was, his opportunities and attempts, he’s off the chart, far far greater than the others.

Q: Thought of trading down and still getting him?

Cable: No, that was never the plan. We knew what we wanted to do the whole time. This was the choice that we thought we had to have to move this team to the next step.

Q: Any thought of taking Eugene Monroe?

Cable: Not at all. There’s a reason we have Mario Henderson here and Khalif Barnes, Erik Pears, Cornell Green. That may be something we do later in the draft, we’ll see how the day unfolds and obviously tomorrow, but the biggest need on this football team is to get someone to score points and obviously when you look at wh at I just said, his ability to do that and make everyone better around him, we’ve got to score points to win football games.

Q: But he had 13 tds in three years, Crabtree had 41 . . .

Cable: Different systems. If you put the spread system at this level, it doesn’t really exist. Those numbers would be dramatically different. I think the one great comparison that I did that really showed this was the right guy for me, if I put him in that same system, he might have been over 50 touchdowns. He’s that talented.

Q: Offers to trade out of the pick?

Cable: We never ever really talked about wanting to move. We were pretty strong about what we needed to do. Like I said, we targeted this one about a month ago and getting this team where it needs to be, and obviously that’s the ability to score more points. This was the no-question pick.

Q: Comparison with another player?

Cable: We talk to the scouts and everything. They bring up the name Randy Moss and obviously when you look at the history of the great receivers who have been Oakland Raiders, it’s always been about that vertical speed, being able to stretch th field, take that top off the defense and this certainly does that for us.

Q: Did he visit here?

Cable: We’ve worked him out, we visited with him, we’ve done great great diligence on this one. This is the one we wanted in terms of character and talent. And then the numbers and everything kind of speak for themselves.

Q: Was there a time when you thought you might have to trade up to get him?

Cable: There was. There was some time the last two days; in particular, last night it got a little bit nervous because there was some teams that tried to move ahead to get him. So, you really start worrying about all that.

Q: Do you consider him a polished receiver?

Cable: Actually, he was in all the top receivers – there’s really four of them that everybody has talked about; three at the top – he is the best route-runner of that group. Again, he’s the only guy that came out of a true pro-style system. Everyone else was in a spread s ystem. So, his learning curve is much, much shorter than those other guys. Then you got that size, that speed and his ability to go get it. The thing that jumps out at you, this is the one guy at the combine who, at the 30-yard mark, actually changed gears. And there was a whole other warp speed, if you will.

Q: What have you learned about his character?

Cable: He’s got the character that we’re looking for to build this team around. He has honor in everything he does. He has a tremendous family, does the right things. He was a guy that, early in his career, was considered a track guy and really set out as a goal to prove that ‘I’m a football guy’ and has done that. He’s a hard-working guy, did everything that we asked him to do. When you looked and dug, did all the things that we do, never once did you find anything that would detract you from him in terms of his character and his personality.

Q: How is he catching the ball?

Cable: There was some talk about that early, that they were inconsistent. But as we did a breakdown over the last two years, much greater consistency that way. He did a great job at his workout. His workout was phenomenal, just phenomenal. He caught everything at the front end of it, did a great job of being able to react and adjust his body to some tough catches and really kind of sold you on it. Because you started to see some of those things that scouts mentioned earlier, that he could do those awkward things.

Q: Who did you have at the workout and was it at Maryland?

Cable: A scout, had it filmed and taped and did everything that we would normally do.

Q: Was it just the Raiders at the workout?

Cable: No, there was many people at the workout.

Q and A with DHB

The media conference call with Raiders top-pick Darrius Heyward-Bey:

Q: When When did you know the Raiders would take you at No. 7?

DHB: I knew a little bit before, right before they called, the commissioner announced it, I spoke to coach Cable. But I had an idea. I felt I was one of the top guys up there and I had a chance to become a Raider.

Q: Were you surprised to go ahead of Crabtree and Maclin?

DHB: Going ahead of those guys, it’s an honor just to be the first guy taken. But being able to play in the pro-style offense at Maryland and taking that to the NFL, I’ll take that. And I don’t know why I moved ahead of those guys, but definitely the Raiders saw something in me.

Q: Do you feel you’re the best receiver in this class?

DHB: I feel like I had the qualities to be the best receiver in the class. I mean, I know people look at the stats and everything, but just playing in the pro-style offense and having the skills and being able to be taught and listen and work hard, I felt like I was definitely at the top.

Q: About the stats, people are going to look at them and wonder . . .

DHB: Right. People will look at that, but looking back to the games that we had at Maryland and my years playing, you look back at the Cal game, I had a chance to show people what I’m capable of doing. At Maryland what we do is, we run the ball to set up the pass. I’m the type of receiver, I catch, block, hustle and just work hard. So college you didn’t see those numbers, but definitely at the next level you’re gonna see a little bit more.

Q: Were you ever frustrated?

DHB:No. You only get frustrated when your team loses – when your team loses and feel like you didn’t have a chance to help the team win. That’s the only time it’s frustrating. But I understood my role on the team, and winning was the No. 1 thing. It wasn’t about what I wanted.

Q: What do you need to work on before you get to the NFL?

DHB:Just the overall game. Just the knowledge of the game, route running. Come to work each and every day to get better. I wouldn’t say I have to work on one thing. I’d just say work on it all. Just come in there full throttle, ready to go is what my approach will be when I get out there in Oakland.

Q: Have you talked to Al Davis yet?

DHB: No I haven’t. I haven’t talked to Al Davis. I haven’t had the chance to talk to him but I’m looking forward to it.

Q: What about the chance to play with D-Mac/JaMarcus?

DHB: The chance to play with those guys would be great. I’m just an addition to that puzzle we’re trying to make here in Oakland. Those guys are really talented. I’m looking forward to playing with them. Also, going up against a guy like Nnamdi, who is probably the best corner in
the game. So I can improve myself, going up against the best corner in the game. I can only get better going against him every day in practice.

Q: A few people had you going to Oakland and many people laughed, but
did you have that feeling?

DHB: I heard that. I’m not the kind of guy who watches TV a lot or listens
to the mock drafts and everything. I knew it was a possibility. I’m the type of guy that I would never shy down from anything. God’s on my side and I’m just going to take it all in.

Q: Do you model yourself after anyone?

DHB: My favorite player is Jerry Rice and he played for the Oakland Raiders late in his career. That’s my favorite player. His work ethic is beyond anybody else. That’s who I try to model myself after when it comes to work ethic. Past that, I think I have my own unique type of game.

Q: How do you feel about comparisons to Moss?

DHB: I take that with honor. Randy Moss is the most talented wide receiver
to ever play the game talent wise. To be compared to him is great. But I have to go in there and just have to prove myself and make a name for myself and that’s Darrius Heyward-Bey.

Q: Can you come in and start as a rookie?

DHB: All I can control as a rookie coming in is working hard and I know
I’ll be able to do that. Whereever that takes me, I’m willing to take it. If that’s starting, or if that’s getting a lot of playing time or that’s being on special teams running down kickoffs. I’m the type of guy
I’m a hard worker and just try to get the job done. One thing I will tell you is that I’m a hard worker.

Q: Who is your agent?

DHB: Ben Dogra and Tom Condon.

Q: Who was your favorite team growing up?

DHB: My favorite team growing up, being in the DC-Baltimore area I always looked at the Ravens when they got here in the past decade. But always in the back of my mind, I was saying this to someone earlier, the Oakland Raiders was always the team, especially in this area, you always kept it to yourself but that was the team you loved. You loved that Silver and Black. You go out there and get that jersey. Everybody has that Oakland Raiders jersey. Definitely being in the DC area, the local teams but the Raiders were beyond none when compared to everything else.

What a joke.......thank you AL for passing on Crabtree!

Mel and Key almost shit themselves when they called DHB. He had 2 games last year he didnt make a catch. Al loves his 40 times......

Different style offense, Pro style at Maryland where they ran more, or Spread at Texas Tech.

You dont draft on stats.

Cable: Different systems. If you put the spread system at this level, it doesn’t really exist. Those numbers would be dramatically different. I think the one great comparison that I did that really showed this was the right guy for me, if I put him in that same system, he might have been over 50 touchdowns. He’s that talented.

Once again Al Davis proves to us all that he is a complete and utter fucking idiot. Nice work Al.

Meet Mike Mitchell

<!-- 1 -->
michaelmitchell250x198.jpg
USAToday.com
Ohio safety Mike Mitchell puts a hit on.

His name is Michael Mitchell, but he answers to Mike. He's listed as a strong safety, but he prefers just safety because he can play both strong and free.
Who knows? The potential sleeper pick from Ohio University just might be a late-round answer to a Raiders secondary in search of a big-time safety ever since Rod Woodson left. With just three safeties on the roster, there's no question the Raiders want to add competition and talent to the system.
Mitchell took time out to chat shortly after visiting the Raiders (along with TCU center Blake Schlueter and South Carolina tight end Jared Cook) Friday.
Q: How was the visit?
A: "It went amazing, absolutely amazing. Everything I thought it would be. This team has the most history of any franchise in football. To see all the pictures of all those great players up on the wall, to have (secondary coaches) Lionel Washington and Willie Brown actually speaking to me, it was so humbling. It's definitely an organization I want to be a part of.
Q: You're listed as a strong safety but I hear you played free safety last season. Which is it?
A: "I can do both things. I can do both very well. At strong safety, I can be a very imposing force against the run and in the pass game. At free, I can be a guy who covers well and gets interceptions. I have a lot of God-given gifts than can really help, especially an organization that needs a safety."
Q: This is your eighth official visit of the month, including a trip to Cleveland. Can next Saturday get here fast enough?
A: "I'm extremely exhausted. I've spent more time in airports and airplanes than I have in my own house the past 3 1/2 weeks. I'm looking forward to bring in my home (Friday night) in my own home, my own sheets and wake up to the sounds of my own house. Can't wait for my mom to come into my room at 8 a.m. singing that Mickey Mouse song like she's been doing as long as I can remember. She drives me crazy with that song but breakfast is usually right after that so I can't complain."
** Mitchell was not invited to the NFL combine, but the 6-0, 221-pounder got attention by running a 4.32-second 40 at his pro day workout with 21 bench reps and a 37 1/2 broad jump.
Judge for yourself by clicking here for a youtube highlight reel. For more about where he could fit it on the Raiders, check Monday's Chronicle (newspaper version and/or sfgate.com)

:cheers:

Mike Mitchell's gonna be the next Nhamdi in terms of beasting it,

I love his seeming work ethic and desire to be a Raider

Raiders get second coming of Lott-Tatum

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, April 25th, 2009 at 6:33 pm in Oakland Raiders.
Tom Cable said he didn’t want to put too much pressure on second-round draft pick Mike Mitchell, but then went ahead and did it anyway, comparing his hitting ability to Ronnie Lott and Jack Tatum.

So the Raiders got a wide receiver who is the next Randy Moss, and a safety to be compared with with two of the most fearsome hitters of all time.
And of course, the Raiders got exactly who they wanted.
In this case, there is no reason to doubt them.
Mitchell, until a few weeks ago, was so obscure he doesn’t have a bio listed on the NFL Draft Tracker on NFL.com or on the extensive list by compiled by Sportsxchange. The Sportsxchange lists 30 prospects at free safety and 32 at strong safety, and Mitchell’s name is not listed. There are 728 prospect in all, and Mitchel lis not listed.
Mel Kiper Jr.’s pre-draft book lists him as the 40th-ranked safety.
The Raiders didn’t even have a biography to pass out before Cable met with the press.
But Mitchell, as Cable indicated, did pick up steam. He visited 15 teams, and the Chicago Bears were believed to be particularly interested.
At his Pro Day workout, Mitchell was 6-foot, 221 pounds, ran a 4.43 40-yard dash, had 21 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press and had a 37.5 inch vertical leap.
“A very, very physical guy,” Cable said. And it just so happens he can fly. Another good pick for us.”
A conference call with Mitchell is to follow.

I want one of these 3 guys also witht he 7th pick in rd 3 (Chip Vaughn maybe)

<TABLE id=whoIsLeft cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=evenrow id=24703><TD width=155>Jared Cook</TD><TD width=85>TE</TD><TD>S CAROLINA</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow id=24514><TD width=155>Michael Johnson</TD><TD width=85>DE</TD><TD>GA TECH</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow id=24740><TD width=155>Jarron Gilbert</TD><TD width=85>DT</TD><TD>SAN JOSE ST</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

comparing his hitting ability to Ronnie Lott and Jack Tatum

Good lord. Seriously, maybe he turns out to be good, but who's next, Jesus? Or is DHB Jesus and this guy Moses?

Cable talks up his players a lot, and he has gotten a lot of them out of it doing so.

When Kiffen was there he assumed that his weekly press conference was the time to tell the media how shitty the players played and how the team had no talent.

Cable changed that immediatly and it payed immediate dividends, specifically with Johnnie Lee Higgins, Jamarcus Russell, Mario Henderson.

Its just the way Cable is.

I want one of these 3 guys also witht he 7th pick in rd 3 (Chip Vaughn maybe)

<TABLE id=whoIsLeft cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=evenrow id=24703><TD width=155>Jared Cook</TD><TD width=85>TE</TD><TD>S CAROLINA</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow id=24514><TD width=155>Michael Johnson</TD><TD width=85>DE</TD><TD>GA TECH</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow id=24740><TD width=155>Jarron Gilbert</TD><TD width=85>DT</TD><TD>SAN JOSE ST</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I like all those especially Cook and Johnson

comparing his hitting ability to Ronnie Lott and Jack Tatum

Good lord. Seriously, maybe he turns out to be good, but who's next, Jesus? Or is DHB Jesus and this guy Moses?

Cmon JP these are raider fans were talking about. There the most unrealistic fans on the planet. They make Packer fans look fucking sane.

Darrius Heywood Bey- The next Jerry Rice

Michael Mitchell --A hybrid of Ronnie Lott & Troy P.

Funny thing is the company that does profiles on all the players that were going to be drafted at some point in the next couple of days is hired to profile these players for the major channels. They didn't even have a profile of mitchell.

Nice work Al Davis. You old stupid fuck

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>NFL Draft: Mitchell Makes His Point </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
664671.jpg

Michael Mitchell (Photo: Scott Gardner)
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Ed Thompson
Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
Posted Apr 24, 2009
</TD><TD noWrap>
468498.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ohio University safety Michael Mitchell wasn't invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, but he's been drawing plenty of attention over the past two months. Find out why in this exclusive Scout.com interview feature.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
A 4-8 season by the Bobcats didn't help. Neither did the fact that he was a snubbed during the Combine selection process.
So Ohio University safety Michael Mitchell knew that he had to make a statement at his Pro Day back on March 12.

"I had decided I was going to leave no doubt that I'm going to be one of the biggest, fastest safeties on the market," the 6-foot-1, 220-pound defensive back told Scout.com. "I looked at the day as, 'finally here's my chance.' I just wanted to get in a room with guys like William Moore, Mike Hamlin and Louis Delmas and compete with those guys. But since I didn't get to do that, my Pro Day was my chance to show that I could."

Mitchell put forth a compelling case to the NFL scouts and coaches who gathered to watch the school's top athletes. He reportedly ran a 4.43-second 40-time on his first attempt and followed that up with a 4.49-second time—even though he pulled up a bit at the 35-yard mark due to tweaking his hamstring.
Now remember, that's a sub-4.5 time in the 40-yard dash run by an athlete who weighs in at 220-pounds.
<TABLE cellSpacing=7 width=225 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
664669.jpg

Photo: Scott Gardner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
As a result of that speed, Michael Mitchell doesn't just tackle opponents, he clobbers them. Watch his highlight reels and you'll see that players' legs fly out when this guy puts a hit on them. He made 62 tackles during his senior year, forced a pair of fumbles and picked-off three passes.
"It's so weird that I've been flying under the radar, and at times it's been frustrating," he said. "I've been playing well, I've never been in trouble, I truly believe I'm a good person with a good heart.
"If you ask people about Mike Mitchell, they'll tell you he's a hard worker and a great leader. He's a guy who's going to give 110 percent every time he steps on the field whether it be a workout or anything regarding football, he's always putting his best foot forward. And I'm definitely proud of that."
Mitchell told Scout.com that the Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans and Detroit Lions all spent some time talking with him at his Pro Day. He's also worked out for the Chicago Bears and the Cincinnati Bengals. And he's had official visits with the Colts, Browns, the Oakland Raiders and the Green Bay Packers.
As he's made the rounds with NFL teams, he's finally hearing that coaches and scouts have noticed that he's worthy of getting his shot at playing in the NFL.
"I keep hearing that they really like my size and my athletic ability," Mitchell said. "I think the thing that shocked a lot of people is my footwork. But I played corner all my life, and then when I got to college my coaches saw my potential to play safety, so he moved me to free safety. But as you watch film, you can tell I kind of like to hit people a little bit, so he moved me to strong safety."
Team officials also seem to be attracted to some of Mitchell's intangibles as they've learned more about him.
"They've told me that they really like the leadership and emotion I bring to the game," he said. "I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but I truly believe there isn't another player that brings it like I bring it, every play, every practice, every game."
Michael Mitchell is

Second round: Bobcat goes from unknown to first-day pick

25 April 2009 No Comment
A safety makes Oakland 2-for-2 filling holes

NEW YORK — Two months ago, Ohio safety Mike Mitchell wasn’t on anyone’s radar screen. Then came the Bobcats’ Pro Day workout in March.
And Mitchell made up for an NFL Combine snub by running a sub-4.4 40-yard dash.
Suddenly, everyone was talking about the defensive back — who wasn’t even ranked in many major NFL Draft guides.
If that wasn’t enough, today, Oakland made the small-school heavy hitter a surprise second-round pick.
The Raiders, who held the 40th overall pick, traded it to New England for one of the Patriots’ later second-round picks, 47th overall, and the Patriots’ fourth- and sixth-round picks (124th and 199th overall). They used that second-round pick to take Mitchell.
Mitchell first got Raiders fans’ attention when the team brought him in for an interview.
“There stood Hall of Fame cornerback Willie Brown, telling Mitchell what an instant difference he’d make in the Raiders’ secondary during last week’s predraft visit,” according to David White of SFGate.com. “Making matters all the more overwhelming, Raiders secondary coach Lionel Washington — a former NFL player himself — was reading from the exact same script.
The Raiders must be counting on Mitchell to elevate his game quickly. They have only three safeties on the roster: Disappointing former first-rounder Michael Huff, second-year man Tyvon Branch and former undrafted free agent Hiram Eugene.
Mitchell is considered a strong safety, but thinks of himself as something of a combo free and strong safety.
“I can do both things. I can do both very well,” he told White in an interview. “At strong safety, I can be a very imposing force against the run and in the pass game. At free, I can be a guy who covers well and gets interceptions. I have a lot of God-given gifts than can really help, especially an organization that needs a safety.”
Mitchell, who stands a shade over 6-foot and weighs 220 pounds, registered 212 tackles and seven interceptions in four years for the Bobcats.
“I feel like God has blessed me with pretty good physical ability,” Mitchell told SunTimes.com’s Brad Biggs. “The thing that is intriguing to most people is I’m 6-0.5 and 220 pounds. They look at my body and I’m a lean guy, I’m strong, I’m fast, I run a 4.43 40 so I’ve got some pretty athletic tools to go along with size.”
And the small-school star may have become one of the first players to truly take benefit from the Internet age, as his “greatest hits” reel on YouTube quickly made the rounds.
“My highlight tape is out now, my agent has done an amazing job, and I think people are starting to see,” he told Biggs.
Even with his growing reputation, Mitchell was thought to have worked his way into the middle rounds.
But the Raiders are never afraid to take a player they want, regardless of what round that player is projected at. Sometimes (Langston Walker, Round 2, 2003) it doesn’t work out for them. Other times (Nnamdi Asomugha, Round 1, 2003) it works out very well, indeed.
Football.com also touted Mitchell’s football intelligence, quoting Ohio defensive coordinator Jimmy Burrow as saying, “He watched more tape than really anybody I ever had, to prepare for a game.”
Ohio head coach Frank Solich didn’t hesitate to praise Mitchell to Football.com: “As the years went on, he just continued to mature as a player and as an individual. … I enjoyed being around him. We can always count on him in terms of being a physical player, and that’s always where you want to start. … Mike was exceptional at that.”
The only possible concern: Biggs pointed out Mitchell was banged up his senior year, with a late-season knee injury.
The Raiders will have three picks on the draft’s second day: Third round, fourth round and seventh round. Oakland is undoubtedly still looking for help at both offensive and defensive tackle. Check back with S&B Report and Raiderfans.net tomorrow for all our coverage of the 2009 NFL Draft.

Cable on Mike Mitchell

Saturday, April 25th, 2009 at 7:24 pm in Oakland Raiders.
Raiders coach Tom Cable’s second session with the press after the selection of Ohio University safety Mike Mitchell in the second round, No. 47 overall:

Cable: Well, that was a great deal for us. We maneuvered around. As you know, we were sitting there at 40, and then moved down, to make a trade because we need some picks, because we’re short picks this year, so that was a positive there. So that gives two fours, two sixes, a sixth and a seventh now, along with our third tomorrow, so that’s good. Not sure if we’re done today, there are some things out there that have potential for us that are pretty exciting, so we’ll see how goes here at the end. With regards to the pick, Mike Mitchell, this is the second guy, we got both of the guys that we targeted today, a guy that really came on the scene in really the last three weeks, more than anything, as we started those visits and the prospects came in. We thought we were sneaking one and he had already been to 15 teams. So we knew it would be a challenge to get him. Who is he? He’s a strong safety. He’s probably the most ferocious hitter in the draft. A very, very physical guy. And it just so happens he can fly. Another good pick for us. Helps us on the defensive side of the ball, and as I mentioned a month or five weeks ago, whatever it was, it was a great concern to us. It was good day so far.
Q: Given all interest in him, any worry by going back seven spots, you would lose him?
Cable: We had a backup plan. We had a backup plan that was pretty safe. It did get pretty nervous there, because we got some calls to kind of move around again, but we just held the position and it came to us.
Q: Some people will hear he came on last few weeks, he’s a size/speed guy, what’s his body of work like at Ohio?
Cable: Very physical guy, again. When you see some highlights of this guy, and they cut him up, you’re going to see a guy that reminds you, and I don’t want to put too much pressure on the guy, but he has that Ronnie Lott, that Jack Tatum mentality. He literally knocks people out. Knocks the pile back, knocks runners backward, knocks receivers backward. Very smart football player. Has been about a 3 ½ -year starter for them. A very, very physical football player with good size.
Q: Talking heads calling him a reach, could have had him much earlier . . .
Cable: One of the things that Mr. Davis and I discussed was that I want to very much have a plan. I want to really approach this that there were specific needs to our football team and the best player to fit those needs has been our goal. It wasn’t so much do they fit numbers or whatever that is. Certainly, there are some perameters here as an Oakland Raider. You have to be able to run. You have to bring something to the table. But I think the thing that worked out for us is we were all on the same page, that we went at it, we were going to make sure we filled needs for our football team, and regardless of what anyone says, it’s OK. I don’t know who you’re watching, but the guys were good, the feedback I got.
Q: What does Mitchell’s arrival mean for Michael Huff?
Cable: It means that we’ve made our team better. Really we’ve got three safeties here right now. He gives us a fourth so you have some real competition. We lost rashad baker in free agency. So it allows you know to get back to raider style of football which is really the reason I wanted this guy so bad. He’s a very physical football player. You’ll like that part about him.
Q: was hard for you as an O-line coach to pass on some of the tackles?
Cable: No that was really. What we did in free agency kind of fixed those issues. And you have to have a feel for what’s best for your team and obviously getting somebody to score touchdowns in Darrius was important. And securing, what I think is a potentially great secondary now with a real physical, physical presence kind of put it together for us.
Q: What’s been like being the point man in the draft?
Cable: The first round was exciting. The second round was nerve-wracking because we had this thing dialed in. we knew exactly who we wanted to get and as it got closer to happening we knew we could move down but how far can you move down before someone else pulls the trigger? For us it was a little nervous there at the end, particuralily when Miami went, the Giants and then Houston and you kind of have to wait through that because all of three of them had a need for a safety-type. Whether it be a free or strong you just don’t know. Really all of them went for something need based on their team at another positon.
Q: dDd his playing strong and free make Mitchell more attractive?
Cable: Absolutely David. His ability to do both was huge. Yet, we have a young player here in Tyvon Branch we really like. And now it gives you two physical players. And really this guy maybe has a little more in him to go back and play in the middle if you needed it to. I think it just gives us a much sounder, tougher, stronger secondary. Obviously we feel good about our corners and this guy, like I said you’re gonna love watching him play. He’s something.
Q: Is he going to play strong safety or will you be in a two-safety system?
Cable: I think that we’re going to be in a two-safety system with the ability that your safeties can play down as well as back. We want to have the ability, whether it’s the strong or the free, to do both. We’ll kind of get into that as we get into minicamp and OTAs next week.
Q: Has Al changed his philosophy regarding the draft?
Cable: The way you worded that, it’s just about opinion. We felt like he was the most valuable guy at wide receiver. He’s the only one to have played in a pro system so his learning curve is going to be much shorter than those other guys playing in the spread system. When you look at his opportunities, didn’t have the ball thrown to him near as much as those other guys but when you look at his opportunities and what he did with it, it’s off the chart in comparing those other guys. Does he have the gaudy numbers the other guys did? No he didn’t but again that’s really system related.
Q: Was speed an issue that you needed on both sides of the ball?
Cable: We did. You all know the struggles we had offensively, so getting Darius in here at wide receiver, it improved all the rest of the skill players and in particular it’s going to improve our quarterback. As you know I have a love for running the football and it’s going to help that, too, obviously. And on defense, speed kills and that’s what wins and that’s what great defenses have. You look at Pittsburgh winning a world championship, that’s a really fast defense everywhere. So that falls right in line with speed, you gotta have it and so you find it. But it’s also got to be specific to what you need to make your team better.
Q: Was your Plan B another safety?
Cable: It was.

This is hilarious. According to you guys, Mitchell should just start writing his introduction speech for the HOF right now. My god, the 73rd rated safety in the draft is compared to to Ronnie Lott/Jack Tatum... Now I have read it all. Keep it coming though, this is hilarious.

This is hilarious. According to you guys, Mitchell should just start writing his introduction speech for the HOF right now. My god, the 73rd rated safety in the draft is compared to to Ronnie Lott/Jack Tatum... Now I have read it all. Keep it coming though, this is hilarious.

championship son :shake:

Pretty sure none of us is comparing him to Lott or Tatum, that was cable

We used guys like Bob Sanders and Ed Reed :cheers:

Mike Mitchell Q&A

Saturday, April 25th, 2009 at 8:20 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Having never seen him play other than a few clips of him laying out an opposing player, I have no idea if Mike Mitchell is the long-sought answer at safety for the Raiders. But I’m guessing you’re going to like what you hear from him.

A transcript of a conference call with Raiders second-round pick Mike Mitchell, No. 47 overall:

Q: Some draft analysts were surprised you went so high. Were you?

Mitchell: To be honest about it, my agent said there was a really good chance I could go early. I visited a lot of teams, I visited eight teams within the last month, so I knew there were a lot of teams that were interested. It was going to come down to who needed and wanted me more. This is a life-long dream that I’ve had. I’m extremely pumped. I’m shocked that it happened so quickly. It’s something you work for your entire life, and then one day, it’s just given to you. As far as what round I went in, (phone cuts out briefly) third round, my agent was saying there’s an extremely high possibility that you could get up there.

Q: Don’t make combine, what were you able to do last few months . . .

Mitchell: Coming from a small school, I don’t know who votes for the combine and everything like that, I definitely feel like I’m a good football player. I think when my tape got out, people started really evaluating me and looking at my play, with the 40 times and my Pro Day, people were saying he’s a for real football player, he just happened to play at a small school. I think once they started to realize that and see that, that’s when the interest picked up.

Q: Biggest hitter in draft, according to Tom Cable. Something you’ve prided yourself on?

Mitchell: I remember being a young kid and watching, not NFL Network but ESPN classic, my dad and I would watch old films of Jack Tatum and Ronnie Lott and he’d say, that’s how you play football. So from a young age, I knew it was about hitting and being physical. I definitely model myself after those two individuals. I like to impose myself on other people. Obviously, I think I’m a good guy in coverage, I can get interceptions and return the ball when I can, but if there’s an opportunity, I usually take my shots, but if I get a shot to hit you, then I’m going to try and knock the person out.

Q: Have you knocked some guys out on the field?

Mitchell: I think there’s been like three, but everybody usually gets up, but there’s three that I’ve actually, really, put down.

Q: Were you disappointed not invited to the combine?

Mitchell: I really was. I’d been a starter for three years and had good numbers. Coming from a small school, those voters are going to see the guys that come from the USCs, the Missouris, the Texas’s, and those guys because they think those guys are the best players. I’m just so excited, I feel 100 percent blessed by God to have this opportunity, because not only did I get drafted, but I showed that, hey, maybe you should start looking at these small school guys too.

Q: What did the typical Ohio game look like in terms of attendance?

Mitchell: I think we were on TV like four times this year. And probably about, I’d say, 18,000 at our games.

Q: How did you wind up at a small school?

Mitchell: Well, you’ve got to think, coming out of high school, right now I’m like 6-1, 220 pounds. But coming out of high school I was 5-11, 188 pounds. So I feel like in college they kind of recruit you for what you were coming out of high school. Obviously if you looked at a picture of me when I was in high school to now, you’d say no way it was the same person. Also, coming out of high school I had three offers. I had Ohio University, Miami of Ohio and the University of Cincinnati. Cincinnati was a good school but they were in Conference USA. Ohio had a good coach, Frank Solich, coming in from big-time Nebraska, told me I could play early, and I jumped on that opportunity.

Q: You carry a chip on your shoulder then? And will you still?

Mitchell: I definitely did. I definitely did. I felt snubbed ever since the day that I, like I said, only had those three offers. I’ve always known that I was a good football player. For me to say someone’s better than me, they have to prove it to me. We have to see each other on the field, or however we have to do it. Our teams have to play each other, etc., etc. But you have to prove it to me. Some guys, I went to the camps, I was like, ‘What are they doing?’ Maybe he’s an inch taller than me right now, or he ran a 10th of a 40 time faster than me. Jump to college, now I’m the guy running the 4.3s, the 4.4s. So now, that’s just how it worked out.

Q: What kind of vibe did you get on your visit to Oakland?

Mitchell: Man, it was unreal. I visited maybe 12 teams over the whole process. Like I said, I visited eight over the last month. And everyone, they’re so business-oriented. They want to just bring you in and get your physical. A couple of times I heard, ‘Hey, this isn’t college recruiting. If we draft you, you got no choice but to come here.’ You know what I mean? But when I was out in Oakland, it was very welcoming, and it was a warm place. I just felt it. And then just being around and seeing that tradition, the pictures of Biletnikoff and those guys, Bo Jackson and those guys, I was overwhelmed, like, man, this is a rich tradition. I’m not gonna sit here and lie to you guys and say I was a huge Oakland Raider fan when I was growing up. Obviously, I was right across the river from Cincinnati. Even though they’ve been a bad team, they were the team I rooted for till today. But it was a tradition I knew they had. John Madden coming from there, those type guys. I wanted to really be a part of that. So if I had had my choice, Oakland was definitely my No. 1 choice, just for the chance that I could’ve came in and compete. And that’s the biggest thing I wanted. I wanted to be able to come in and compete. Obviously, they don’t guarantee spots. People’s livelihoods are on the line. No spots are guaranteed but there’s an opportunity to come in and compete. The whole vibe out there felt right. I actually know one of the guys on the team, Ricky Brown, his younger brother Mike Brown played at my college. It was just a really good fit for me. I’m a Christian guy nand I’ve been praying on it and I’m so happy to god that I’m here now I’m ready to show everybody this wasn’t a mistake and I’m for real.

Q: Ricky Brown taught us all about skyline chili.

Mitchell: Oh yeah. I’ve had to lay off that for the last couple of months. As soon as I get a break I’m gonna get me about three or four chili dogs.

Q: Did you have sense Raiders liked you?

Mitchell: I really did. I really did to be 100 percent honest. The whole vibe when I was there felt really good. I felt almost at home there. There was one other place where I actually said I could fit in here just as well as in Oakland. My agent was telling me, ‘teams are really scrambling right now. Mike, you’re a hot commodity now. Somebody will pull the trigger on you it’s just a matter of when.’ My agent was actually thinking I might slip into the first round because I had been to 13 teams. A lot of teams showed a lot of interest. They don’t just bring a guy in for fun. Once that started happening teams were like how bad do I want him. I’m 100 percent confident in my abilities. God has blessed me with some great abilities. I’m just so happy to have this opportunity and I want to take advantage of it for sure.

Q: Thoughts when Raiders traded back?

Mitchell: I thought I was going to Chicago. Because they had told me to stay
close to my phone. When they did that, ‘I was like OK, I’m going to be a Chicago Bear.’
That’s what I was thinking. Oakland was able to get to 47. They traded back and it takes a couple of minutes to tell you where they will be. When I saw it was 47 I thought there was still a chance here we’ll see what happens. It’s so amazing how this has happened and worked out. I’m just pumped.

Q: Do you prefer Mike or Michael?

Mitchell: Mike.

Q: Do you see yourself as strong or free?

Mitchell: I don’t really like to put terms on it. I see myself as a safety.
When people watch film of me, they’ll see a guy that has great range in the deep zones, I can play man-to-man, I have a lot of speed. I can play deep safety. I’m a pretty good hitter. That’s not me saying that it’s just what the tape shows. I’m a solid tackler and I like to be in the box. I can do both. I think that’s why my value was so high because a lot of guys in this draft that could just play free safety or just play strong safety. I kept hearing this term when I visited teams that I was
interchangeable. I can go from free safety one play to strong safety the next.

Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, also proves that just because Mel Kiper thinks he was a 7th round pick that the rest of the League didn't.

Safety Mike Mitchell expected to be selected by Chicago Bears | Huddle Up

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Safety Mike Mitchell expected to be selected by Chicago Bears

By Vaughn McClure

The surprise pick of the second round was Ohio University safety Mike Mitchell going to the Raiders with the 47th overall selection, two slots before the Bears were supposed to pick.

Our friend David White from the San Francisco Chronicle, who covers the Raiders, informed us that Mitchell expected to go to the Bears at No.49. The Raiders traded down from No. 40, swapping with the New England Patriots.

``I thought I was going to Chicago because they had told me to stay close to my phone,'' Mitchell told Oakland-area reporters. ``When they did that, I was like, `Ok, I'm going to be a Chicago Bear.' That's what I was thinking.''

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said he was looking at a defensive player before shipping the pick to Seattle for a third-rounder and a fourth-rounder. Angelo would not reveal the name of that defensive player.

The Bears also wanted Ohio State receiver Brian Robiskie, who went to Cleveland early in the second round.

Wide receiver and safety remain positions of need as the Bears enter Day 2 of the draft armed with nine picks.

Michael Mitchell is pretty good. I think it was him that fucked me over 2 years ago in the Wyoming game picking of Sween twice. And I think he may have done it again last year in the Wyoming game, but I can't remember now. And no, I'm not using evidence of intercepting Wyoming's crappy QBs as evidence that he is good, I'm using my eyes for that. He makes plays and is a pretty good athlete.

I thought DHB was the best receiver available other than Crabtree, so while I don't agree with the pick at that spot necessarily, I definitely support him going ahead of Maclin. Maclin had a serious knee injury a couple years ago, Missouri/Maclin fans seem to have a very selective memory in that regard.

The problem with these two picks isn't the end result, its the process. You could have had Mitchell in the late rounds and DHB in the teens or twenties. No value at all, and no conception of how to get it. Same thing with Lechler and NA in free agency. If you like those guys that's great, but just offer enough to keep them instead of paying out the ass for no reason. Al Davis is such a kook and everyone other than black and silver folks realize it.

I agree that DHB was a slight reach but its not easy to trade down

with the Mitchell pick, he stock was gaining steam and the Bears wanted him at #49

so if the the raiders got who they wanted in the 2nd rd and got a 4th rd and 6th rd pick thats pretty damn good. Also remeber raiders didnt have a 5th rd and 6th rd pick.

The thing is they have to pick who works best with the offense they have. McFadden is going to be out in the slot a lot, he is a very good receiver. Miller is a fantastic receiving tight end, and they have to expect that Javon will be healthy this year and he is more a possession receiver than a deep threat.

DHB is a deep threat, there were at least 2-5 passes every game where Jamarcus threw long and Curry or Lelie couldnt catch up to it when they were wide open. DHB is going to be able to catch up to those. He fits in to the Raiders much more than Crabtree when you look at the big picture of the offense.

The top 2 on Todd McShays Top 5 Bad Moves...

Five bad

1. Oakland Raiders: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (No. 7)
The Raiders continue to stick to their game plan of drafting the fastest 40-yard dash times. Although Heyward-Bey should help stretch the field in the passing game, this was way too high to take a receiver with inconsistent hands and marginal route-running skills. They should have drafted either WR Michael Crabtree or taken a future starting left tackle in Eugene Monroe.
2. Oakland Raiders: S Michael Mitchell (No. 47)
Mitchell was the shock of the first day. Scouts Inc. didn't even consider him a priority rookie free agent. Although he does have some upside because of his size and athleticism, the Raiders could have easily gotten Mitchell in the fifth round. This is a classic example of not knowing the draft board.

And Kiper chimes in...

Four poor decisions

Why Heyward-Bey at No. 7?

I'm still shaking my head over the Oakland Raiders' selection of wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey with the No. 7 pick, with Michael Crabtree still available. If the Raiders really weren't sold on Crabtree despite his excellent collegiate career, then why not trade out of the spot and get Heyward-Bey later and get some value for that pick? There had to be a team that would have switched with them and given Oakland something for that pick. Heyward-Bey could turn out to be an excellent receiver, but the Raiders made a mistake not getting value for the pick and taking him later.

Oakland strikes again

As bad as the Heyward-Bey selection was, at least I understand what the Raiders may have been thinking since he does have a great deal of speed and they have a strong-armed quarterback in JaMarcus Russell. But the Raiders' second-round selection of safety Michael Mitchell is completely baffling to me. I had Mitchell as a potential undrafted free agent who might get picked up after the draft. For the Raiders to take him in the second round when better safeties like William Moore and Darcel McBath were available is simply stunning.

Heyward-Bay may end up working out, they just took him way too high. If they wanted him, he would have been available deep into the teens, probably into the low 20s.

Especially with Crabtree out there they could have traded down, picked up at least another pick/player and payed less for the guy.

And, of course, if he doesn't work out at all, they look like total fools.

Nobody's going to blame them if their second round pick doesn't pan out, though, nobody really gets too much s**t for that.

Throwback I fucking love you man,

You convinced me Al was sane - when I wasn't really following the Raiders close - and your posts on Tom Cable sealed the deal - I have been following the Raiders HARDDDDDDDDD once again, & I love it

I fucking love the Mitchell pick, and LOVE the DHB pick the more I read and think, Cable is doing big thangs man, let the season start - and I think I'm goin to the Thanksgiving game hahahahahaha

That article about the Bears picking him comes as no shock to me, I've been trying to tell people Mitchell was beast

And yeah nobody understands how hard it would've been to trade out of that 7th pick. Nobody wanted Crabtree that badly, and once Sanchez was gone - we were fucked.

Only possible player a team would have traded up for at 7 was Aaron Maybin, cause he was high on a lot of boards, and even he fell to 12...so teams could've got him later

Back