“AFL 50TH” DOUBLEHEADER LAUNCHES MNF SCHEDULE

Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 4:16 p.m.
Breaking from a recent trend that featured two teams from the NFC and two teams from the AFC in the Week One Monday night doubleheader, the league is turning over the evening to the old AFL.
The evening begins with the Bills traveling to New England, and it concludes with the Raiders hosting the Chargers.
For the games, the teams will wear their AFL throwback uniforms.
ESPN will televise both games, beginning at 7:00 p.m. EDT.

RAIDERS RETURN TO THANKSGIVING, 39 YEARS LATER

Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 4:19 p.m.
After an absence of nearly 40 years, the Oakland Raiders will play football on Thanksgiving.
This year, the Raiders will travel to Dallas for the late afternoon game at the new Texas Stadium. The game will be aired on CBS.
The day begins with the Lions hosting the Packers, on FOX. The Thanksgiving prime time game features the Broncos hosting the Giants, and it will be shown on NFL Network.

Primetime baby !!!

That 1st game is the game of the year shit the game of the last 5 years.

If the Raiders wanna have a good season that is a Must Win game, Its time 2 beat the fuckin Chargers already ....

Raiders and ThanksGiving ? wtf lol

SIXTH-ROUND PICK AND A FOURTH-ROUND SWAP FOR SATELE

Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 5:05 p.m.
And the Miami <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_34_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%">Dolphins</NOBR> continue to squander second-round draft picks.
Over the past few years, they have traded second-round selections for players like A.J. Feely and Daunte Culpepper.
The Fins exercised a second-round selection in 2007, taking center Samson <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_36_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%">Satele</NOBR>. Less than two years later, he has been shipped out of town, reportedly for a sixth-round draft pick.
According to David White of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Raiders and Dolphins also swapped fourth-round picks, moving Miami up 18 spots, from No. 122 overall to No. 104.
Still, most teams aspire to get something more than that from a second-round draft pick, especially after getting only two years of service out of him.

Raiders have a chance to set the tone early

March 23, 2009 5:18 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

DANA POINT, Calif. - If the Oakland Raiders are truly going to be different this year (and when I say different, I mean becoming a good team) they are going to have to set the tone early.

No better time that on opening day at home. For the third time in the four years ESPN has held a Monday Night Football doubleheader to start the season, the Raiders are hosting the West Coast game. They host AFC West champion San Diego on Sept. 14 in the back end of the doubleheader.

In 2006, the Chargers won, 27-0, at Oakland on a Monday night game to start the season. Last year, Denver won, 41-14, in Oakland to start the season. San Diego will be looking for its 12th straight win over Oakland.

The stakes are immense for Oakland. If it can beat the Chargers it can erase the memories of the recent Madman night flops and the Chargers' stranglehold on them. If Oakland wins this game, the Tom Cable era will be flying.

One of the reasons why Cable lost the interim tag and become Oakland's permanent head coach was the fact that the Raiders won their final two games of the 2008 season to finish 5-11.

The Raiders set an NFL record for losing at least 11 games in six straight seasons in 2008. But all the Cable regime is focused on is the momentum that was built at the end of last season. There is reason for hope in Oakland based on those two games.

If the Raiders can go out and win one of these Monday night openers, there will be great hope. If not, especially if the Chargers wax Oakland, despair will creep in.

Oakland has a great opportunity to turn the tables early. Let's see if it can do it.
AFC West - ESPN

NFL will celebrate 50th anniversary season of American Football League

NFL.com Wire Reports

<TABLE style="MARGIN: 0px; WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px">
coaches_group_090321_SWIDE.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; COLOR: #999999; PADDING-TOP: 0px">R Michael Zilz / National Football League</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px">The original AFL teams get ready to unleash the memories from a colorful era in pro football.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The 2009 NFL season marks the 50th anniversary for the eight teams that played in American Football League, and plans to celebrate that benchmark were announced Tuesday at the NFL Annual Meeting in Dana Point, Calif.
afl-50th-logo.jpg

The American Football League, which merged with the NFL in 1970, played its first season in 1960 with eight teams. They were the Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs (played as the Dallas Texans), New England Patriots (played as the Boston Patriots), New York Jets (played as the Titans of New York), Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans (played as the Houston Oilers).
The NFL will highlight the 50th anniversary of those teams during "Legacy Games" throughout the 2009 season. During one home and one road game, former AFL teams will meet head-to-head while wearing their chosen historic uniforms.
On Sept. 14, ESPN will host a Monday Night Football doubleheader that will be part of the NFL's celebration of the 50th anniversary season of the AFL. The first game (7 p.m. ET) will pit the Bills against the Patriots, the decade's winningest team (102-42 since 2000), in Foxborough, Mass. The nightcap (10:15 p.m. ET) will be an AFC West showdown as the Raiders host the three-time defending division champion Chargers.
Also, the Bills will take on the Titans in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game on Sunday, Aug. 9, in Canton, Ohio. The game will be televised nationally by NBC at 8 p.m. ET.
The NFL and the eight former AFL teams are planning to celebrate the 50th anniversary season with numerous events this year.
Remember the AFL
j_namath_AFL_IL.jpg
The upcoming season marks the 50th for the original member franchises of the American Football League. Relive its brief yet colorful history with this photo presentation. More ...

» Jauron's fond AFL memories
» History of the AFL, 1960-69

NFL Network, NFL.com and NFL Films will commemorate this anniversary with unique content and programming highlighting the history of the AFL and the original eight teams.
A "legacy" collection, featuring new retro-themed apparel and products, will be introduced this summer and will be available on NFLSHOP.com and at other retail locations. Among the merchandise offered will be hats, T-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets and pennants.
Game-worn jerseys and signed memorabilia will be auctioned at NFL Auctions throughout the season, with the money raised going to the NFL Player Care Foundation.
Below is a list of what each of the eight original AFL teams will wear as their historic uniforms during the 2009 season:

Time to get JUICED with a little Cable Q&A

Cable at owner’s meetings

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 at 1:14 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Q: Your impressions on JaMarcus Russell at this point?
Cable: If he can accept the responsibility of being an NFL quarterback, I think that’s working more, working harder, working longer than everybody else, accepting the
responsibility that his teammates look to him as the face of the organization, that he has to go above and beyond almost on a daily basis, I think that comes with that position, whether that’s right or wrong, that’s what it is, if he can accept that and become that, he’ll be fine. He’ll be great, I think. Has he done that? I think during the last six weeks he started to, during the season. I think thus far in the offseason he’s been around more than ever. He was never around like this on his own, just watching tape, studying, so that’s a step in the right direction. I think he has to embrace that, though, for him to be what he should be.
Q: You have that conversation with him?
Cable: We did. We started meeting on Wednesdays during the season and sometimes we’d talk a little football, sometimes we’d talk about things other than football. Just
getting him to, if you will, get by being that rookie with all that fortune and everything kind fo thrown at him, you know, and get through that and get passed that, if you will, to the next step, which is being a starting quarterback in the National Football League. And that’s a responsibility, I think, that’s greater than any young quarterback recognizes. And there’s only been a few that have probably handled it well, like Peyton Manning, like the kid last year in Atlanta. Flacco, you’d probably have to put in that category. If you look at the numbers, many of them have that same kind of path, Year 2, Year 3, boom, here it comes. But I think all of them had one thing in common - they really embraced what it is to be the leader and be that guy, if you will.
Q: What kind of person is he? Does he want to be good?
Cable: Oh yeah. He’s very driven. I think he’s a very passionate guy. He’s certainly very motivated to not be a failure, to not be the kid from Mobile that couldn’t get it
done, all the hoopla, all the this and that. He doesn’t want to be that. He wants to be the guy. And he’s very driven.
Q: What does he need to work on to be better at the game itself?
Cable: His footwork. Everybody thinks that’s his fundamental issue but he’s so big and when you’re big like that everybody expects you to move quick like a Montana or somebody that’s of smaller stature. He’s not like that; I think there’s some development there fundamentally that has to change. He’s got a huge, huge arm. That’s well documented. But that doesn’t always get it where it’s got to be. You’ve got to have good feet. And then his brain. You’ve got to keep training that brain and get that brain to a point where it makes its decisions on time.”
Q: What have you decided to do with Javon Walker?
Cable: Oh, he’s still there.
Q: He’ll be on the team?
Cable: Yeah.
Q: What about his health?
Cable: Well, I mean that’s the issue - we want to get him healthy. After last summer and he came into camp and he had some leg issues, we probably had two or three weeks most of Javon being healthy and he played pretty well in those weeks. But then he got hurt and the season was over. So I think it’s imperative that Javon do what he needs to do to really get healthy so that he can have the kind of year that, I know, he wants and we need him to have.
Q: Have your doctors told you his is a fixable thing and he can be a fulltime receiver?
Cable: What’s wrong with him?
Q: He’s had knee issues in the past.
Cable: This is the ankle. This had nothing to do with the knee. But the ankle, actually, was such a severe sprain it had to be pinned. But he’s through that. In fact, he’s back training. But I think the knee - you scared me - the knee is fine. I thought maybe you had something I didn’t know about.”
Q: You’ve been so bullish saying the Raiders will win again, you almost sound like your boss. Why so optimistic?
Cable: I’ve said this a couple of times already. The first six weeks I was the interim (coach), we were awful. Everything that could be wrong or could go wrong, all of that did. I look back and I just think, how in the world did we ever even go out and get ready to play games? When obviously we didn’t very well. The last six weeks, though, just the attitude, the reasons why you’re playing the game, how you address game day, how you address every week in preparation on Wednesdays and Thursdays and Fridays, all of that changed 180 degrees. And so becoming good and winning isn’t something you just wake up one day and like flip the switch and, Oh good, we’re good now. It’s a process you go through and I think we’ve really made some strides in that process. Love the attitude, love where they’re at. Love the core of this team. They go after it everyday at work. That’s the thing you want. That’s why I feel the way I do; that’s why I say the things I do, because I do know what the core is. I do know what we’ve added and what we need to do in the draft. So I’m pretty confident and have great belief in those men that we’re pretty close.”
Q: Was there a time when you thought, we’re not that far away, maybe the
Tampa game or the Houston game?
Cable: Actually, there were three times - one of them was the Kansas City loss at Oakland. We needed one drive, either side of the ball, to win back-to-back games. We beat Denver the week before. Win that one, and as you look back on it, makes you 4-2 in the last six weeks. That was one. Two was the Houston game. They had a chance to come back and we didn’t let them. And then Tampa was like closure. We got behind by 10 and for the first time since I’d been with the Raiders, when you looked around the sidelines, it was all right, we’re OK. Defense, get us the ball, offense, go get us a score, we’ll get it right back for you. You started to hear those things rather than, Ah, man, here we go again. We get down by 10, it didn’t matter. We came back and won. All three of those things had a part in getting it where it’s at.
Q: The Tampa game especially, since they were playing for the playoffs
and you were playing for pride?
Cable: Sure. And we addressed it that way. I told them, the fact is, you’re going into an environment where you’re going to get to feel and get a sense of what it is to be around something that matters, for the first time in a long time. They’re playing for the playoffs so you’re going to get to feel that and we talked about that because we think (we can be there) next year and we need to understand how to handle that when you get there. I thought we did so in the right way. We used it to our future, if you will.
Q: Seems like JaMarcus liked having the game on his shoulders at the end?
Cable: Sure. I know that about him. I know he likes that part but what I think we’ve got to get to (is) he’s got to accept the responsibility, as I mentioned. He’s got to be prepared for those moments. It’s one thing to throw it out there and think you’re all that and, Hey, bring it on, it’s two minutes and 28 seconds to go and we need a field goal, watch this. That’s great bravado. But he’s got to be prepared to do those things. He’s got to be prepared to be great in those moments. And that’s what I’m talking about.
Q: How do you change the mentality of the team, the losingest franchise since 2003?
Cable: If you just walk in and make the assumption that it’s all right, Hey, listen up, fellas, I’m the next head coach in line and let’s do this and let’s do that, forget it. No. First, let’s understand why the hell that happened, so we won’t go there again. I think that in order to change this, we better get real about why it’s going on and stop putting band-aids on it and let’s cut to the core and see what the real issue is. And then from there you know where you can go. But to put lip service to it and continually push it over in the corner, the monster keeps growing. So, deal with it.
Q: What is the monster?
Cable: Selfishness. It’s all about me and (not) the real fundamental concept of success of team sports. But I’m excited because I don’t feel like that about this football team anymore.
Q: Important and symbolic that Nnamdi Asomugha re-signed?
Cable: I think so. I really do. I think that makes a statement from the club and it makes a statement from the player that this is where he wants to be and, obviously, it’s the right marriage and definitely a step in the right direction.
Q: You feel like you did anything personally to change the culture of the team?
Cable: Well, I just think that it’s your job as the head coach to give them some plan, give them some vision. To me, that was it. The first six weeks, I mentioned, were very difficult, and we just kept talking about it. We weren’t going to back away from it. I told them we weren’t going to let this go until we solve this…to me, you’ve got to understand it, you’ve got to break it, stop pushing it into the corner like it’s going to go away.
Q: Any key moments or guys on the team when you felt it changing?
Cable: I know the core of the team. I know the Morrisons and the Howards and the Gerard Warrens and the Nnamdi Asomughas, the Hiram Eugenes, the Chris Johnsons, the Cooper Carlisles, the Justin Fargas, the Darren McFaddens, the Zach Millers, the Robert Gallerys. I can name a lot. You can see why I like this football team. There’s good reason why - there’s good character, there’s good people, there’s good talent, there’s good football players.
Q: Has it all settled in now that you are the head coach and not just interim?
Cable: Absolutely. And everything we do now is with that in mind, that we’re going to move forward under our plan and the staff, we all know what the plan is, and we’ll work everyday get us there. The sooner we get where we’re competitive, the minute we walk out of the locker room, every time, that’s when we’ll become a playoff team. That’s what you have to do in this league. It’s too good, everybody’s very good. Everybody has good teachers, good coaches good friends, on and on and on. But it’s that mentality when you walk out of the locker room and when that happens, that’s when we’ll be there.”
Q: You’ve talked about Russell needing to accept responsibilities. Was he ever like that?
Cable: In college, it’s easy. At this level, I think there’s so much on that position, so much you ask him to do. That’s why they’re so critical to your success. You really look at it and it’s him wanting to be as good as he can be and understanding what it takes to do that. I think that’s normal.
Q: Thoughts on opening the season on the Monday Night Football doubleheader?
Cable: It’s great. It’s great because we need to get into a competitive deal right away, see where we’re at, where we can go. It’s exciting because they’re a division opponent. There are a lot of positives.”
Q: What are your areas of need in the draft?
Cable: I’m not going to tell you.
Q: So you’ll let us figure that out for ourselves?
Cable: Well, I mean, you know, there’s no reason for me to go into that right now because it’s far too important and, you know, we have a great plan, I believe, so, yeah, let it play out. Let it work.”
Q: Your thought on possibly going to a 17-or-18-game schedule?
Cable: I really have not thought about that. That’s down the road for me. too much before that, really.
Q: Your thoughts on your offensive line?
Cable: Obviously now if you look at it I think it is improved, maybe substantially Adding Khalif Barnes gives us significant competition at tackle We have Samson Satele there to compete with John Wade, probably makes us overall better at the center position.. . . . two good guards, good players, veteran guys. I think that’s an area where we have certainly improved.
Q: Where is Robert Gallery in his career?
Cable: I think he is where he should have been a couple of years ago, really. In 07 he really improved, but when you rebuild the brain really, with the confidence
and all that goes in playing the game, you have to break him all the way down, and he went through that process. In doing that, his penalties came up because he was focused on certain things. Then, this last year he seemed to put that behind him and was probably one of the least
penalized guys in football, then all of a sudden you start seeing him become more dominant,
particularly the second half he was a very good football player. So I would expect now he should be where he should have been two years ago for a guy taken that high with that pick. He can really become a guy who can get to the Pro Bowl, a guy who can lead the team as an offensive lineman. I think he has a chance to do that now. It was all psychological. You take a young guy and you stick him at left tackle in the NFL. Some guys can do it and some guys aren’t ready to do it. If you have enough failure you fry the brain and you think `Oh, my God I don’t know if I can do this.’ And then you get moved to the right, back to left, then over there, and the next thing you know the problem is not the player physically, the problem is the player mentally. So the key is to just sort of start over with him. Fortunately, he was into that. He was able to just re-start it.
Q: What’s it like working for Al Davis?
Cable: Awesome. Just awesome. I know all the stories, I’ve heard them. But I’ve been in there two years now, as an assistant and the interim head coach and head coach. The guy is amazing. He’s very set in his way. He is probably most responsible for the NFL being where it is. And he’s proud of that. I think that people take that confidence and that
belief in what he has that he has been able to accomplish and like to argue what that is. But to me it’s just been his wisdom and a partnership. What he told me when he hired me is We can only do it if we do it together…..I need for you to do this, this and this. What do you need from me? People say here’s this guy who dresses the same all the time and he is arrogant and this and that. That’s the perception, but that’s not who he really is. He’s a guy who loves his football team, is passionate about it. He’s a guy who has an unbelievable amount of knowledge. He’s a guy who if you allow . . . can teach you more than you ever thought possible.
Q: He likes X’s and O’s, but has the game passed him by?
Cable: There’s parts of the game that have changed, but I don’t think the game has past Al Davis by. First of all, his team is always built on one thing, speed. I think that if you really understand the history of football you understand how he has effected every one of these teams. Now everybody tries to do the same things he used to do. What has changed about the game is it is hard to go back seven steps and wait for Branch and Biletnikoff. You better get that ball out of your hand because the goon coming off the corner is a different good than he was 20-30 years ago, and that’s a fact. The athlete is so well trained now. It’s not that they are any better really, it’s just the training that these guys put in. Back then these guys went to their off season job. Now their off season job is to get faster and stronger.
Q: He is getting older…He was always a strong presence. Is he still a presence?
Cable: To me, when I need to talk about something or I need advice, he’s always there. So I don’t know that he is any less a presence now than ever before.

Great piece on Davis from the Owners meetings, loved the shot at ESPN and the Cowboys

DANA POINT, Calif. - At the base of a grand staircase, the exhibit was installed to commemorate the American Football League, conceived half a century ago by a gang of renegade rich men who called themselves "The Foolish Club."

But the photograph that catches my eye features Al Davis, newly appointed as the commissioner, sandwiched between Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson and Jack Kemp, then a handsome young quarterback. Davis wears a skinny tie, a toothy grin and just enough pompadour to announce his contempt for the standards and practices of company men. He's in his early thirties, just beginning to feel the possibilities of his power.

And now, as the owners adjourn from their morning meetings here at the St. Regis resort, the man himself comes into view.

Almost half a century later, the pompadour has been decimated, a matted wisp in its place. Davis' eyes are red-rimmed and damp. His hands are purplish and papery with age. But never — ever — has Al Davis looked more defiant, even heroic, than he does right now, pushing a walker across the marble floor.

Guarding the boss's rear flank is Raiders strength coach Chris Pearson, while a burlier man — could be a pro bouncer — leads the way. If the other owners don't warrant protection, that's only because they're pishers by comparison. Bob Kraft is flitting about in a lavender sweater. Jerry Jones is holding court in golf shirt and blazer. Everybody's dressed for an afternoon at the club. But Davis is in full Raider regalia: new white Adidas, a black and silver jumpsuit that proclaims his franchise to be "THE TEAM OF THE DECADES." Though he'll turn 80 on July 4, the bejeweled bracelet on his left wrist — "AL" set in diamonds on a black stone — suggests a founding father of bling. Then again, Davis was always ahead of his time.

As the Raiders have had six consecutive losing seasons, it's become fashionable to lampoon him. But in fact the AFL exhibit outside the Pacific Ballroom does not do him justice. If football had a Rushmore, then his bust would be carved in the side of that mountain. Whether you like him or not — and either position can be justifiably argued — he's a founding father of the modern game.

These other owners fantasize about coaching their teams. Davis has done it. (By the way, while I'm on the subject of owners and coaches, last season's firing of Lane Kiffin doesn't look so nutty anymore, does it?). So say what you want about these six barren, bumbling years, but the Raiders have played for the Super Bowl title in four separate decades. Davis' mantra — "Just Win, Baby" — is as American as the pledge of allegiance. Black uniforms? Who ever heard of that? Then again, who cares? He was firing black coaches — twice — before most of these rich kids ever thought to hire one.

Still, I've come to appraise this man with his walker, de-pompadoured, the visionary as altacocker. What kind of aged king was he: Lear of Oakland, a madman, or Arthur, whose realm became barren as he was physically diminished?

The answer? He's not mad.

On Wednesday morning Davis appeared again, this time in a white jumpsuit with black trim. By now, the final day of the annual owners' meetings, the exhibit had been removed. Still, his agenda could not be more clear. He's concerned with his legacy, in particular, those revisionist historians who would sell it short.

Davis knows most of the football writers by name. Those he doesn't, he charms.

Judy Battista identifies herself, New York Times.

"I may buy that paper," he says.

Then, one of the guys from ESPN.

"How come you're not in Dallas?" he asks.

In short order, he steers the conversation back to the AFL. He begins with Pete Gogolak, the first soccer-style kicker. In signing him from the Bills, the Giants broke the "gentlemen's agreement," a pledge between the rival leagues not to sign each other's veterans.

"Gogolak was 1964?" says Sports Illustrated's Peter King.

"'66," says Davis. "April."

Correct, of course. Gogolak's signing unleashed a period of not-so-gentlemanly competition between the leagues, with the upstart AFL outhustling and outbidding the established NFL for a good many stars.

"Pete was good," Davis says of his epic rival, NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle. "But he didn't like confrontation."

In Davis' estimation, that was a great weakness. He recalls telling the AFL owners, the press, and anyone else who would listen what the signing of Gogolak really meant. "You just got a merger," he said.

I remind him of the words he used at the time. "You called it a 'declaration of war.' "

"You know that I said it was a declaration of war?" Translation: I don't like being interrupted, kid.

"I'm pretty sure."

Like him or not, it's hard not to respect what Al Davis has accomplished. ( / Getty Images)
For the record, the quote appears on page 229 in the 1969 paperback edition of Bob Curran's "The $400,000 Quarterback."

"How old were you, six?"

"Actually, four."

"I didn't know I said that."

Of course he said it. Davis, who grew up reading newspaper dispatches from the war in Europe and the Pacific, reduces everything to military terms.

"The guerrilla wins if he doesn't lose," he says. "We were the guerrillas in those days."

He recalls a phony memo sent to NFL scouts, instructing them to report to Portland, Ore. Meanwhile, AFL guys like Al, were stashing draft picks, sending them on all-expenses paid vacations to Hawaii. In the 1962 Sugar Bowl, as an assistant coach for the Chargers, he signed Lance Alworth under the goalposts. A couple of years later, at the Gator Bowl, he signed Florida State's Fred Biletnikoff.

"On national TV with a lawyer there," says Davis. "The lawyer was from Florida State. His mother and the Detroit Lions were on the sidelines, screaming, 'Don't sign it, Freddy. Don't sign it.' "

Biletnikoff signed it. He won a Super Bowl, and went to the Hall of Fame as a Raider.

Which brings us to Davis' second order of business: "One thing, while I got you all here, there's no way — no way — Cliff Branch shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

"He may not have had all the catches that you want, but he was the force that dictated coverage. He dictated everything."

Jim Plunkett. He belongs, too. "What quarterback isn't in the Hall of Fame that's won two Super Bowls?"

Davis goes on for close to half an hour, speaking with authority on subjects that range from the cornerback's lost art to the NCAA women's bracket. He refuses only a camera crew. Apparently, he doesn't want to be photographed in his present state, a condition he attributes to weakened quadriceps.

Then he readies himself to leave, the strength coach and the bouncer in tow. "God, I love talking to you guys," he says.

Still, his real purpose only becomes apparent as he pushes his way down the hall. Ralph Wilson stayed home with a bad shoulder. Jack Kemp has cancer. Rozelle is dead, as are all but two charter members of the Foolish Club.

It is said that Davis is vain, and scared of dying. If that's the case, then this processional with the walker shows some real balls.

I find myself wondering who'll say Kaddish for Al Davis. Perhaps that misses the point, though. He needs no prayers for the dead. He needs only to be told that he won.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...is-remains-an-icon?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/raiders/detail?&entry_id=37627

Let the draft visits begin (updated)

The Raiders are scheduled to host Wake Forest strong safety Chip Vaughn, according to Scout.com writer Ed Thompson, making him the first known draft prospect to visit Alameda this draft season.
Put another way, it looks like the Raiders won't necessarily go into the 2009 season with just the three existing safeties on the roster -- Tyvon Branch, Michael Huff and Hiram Eugene.
With the release of Gibril Wilson, it's plain as day the Raiders need to address the strong safety position. And, as much as the staff digs Branch, he lost his rookie season to a broken hand and busted shoulder. So, until he proves durabile, a backup plan would be nice.
(UPDATE: The Raiders are also taken with Vaughn's teammate, Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smith, who is also headed for an Oakland visit per a profootballtalk.com report.
Unlike Huff (their strong safety of choice in the 2007 draft), Vaughn comes with size befitting an NFL strong safety at 6-foot 2, 221 pounds. He's projected as a third or fourth rounder by walterfootball.com, which lists him as the seventh-ranked safety on the board.
Last year, the Raiders drafted Branch in the fourth round.
Smith has what Al Davis likes to call "Raider speed" with a 4.47-second time in the 40. He's expected to be drafted in the first two rounds.
The Raiders are locked in with starting cornerbacks Nnamdi Asomugha and Chris Johnson, but with Davis in charge, there is no such thing as too many speedy corners.

JaMarcus Russell bashing is the flavor of the week

Posted by: Chris Shellcroft
russell-300x214.jpg

And so it came to pass that the final week of March, in 2009, was spent lampooning Raider quarterback JaMarcus Russell.
With each passing day, another website would publish a diatribe against the former number one overall selection in the 2007 draft.
One site explained why Matt Cassel was better than Russell and yet another one twisted the words of his head coach into an assault on Russell’s absence from the first week of voluntary workouts.
Let it be known that a retraction, of sorts, was issued as word came out that Russell was excusedfrom the first week to be with his mother as she was undergoing surgery.
While he was not a rookie in 2008, Russell was a first year starter having played in just 4 games in 2007 and starting just one.
None the less, the desire to see the Raider quarterback fail is the impetus behind most of the published reports and articles. For the majority of the sports world outside of Oakland, there is a fascination with seeing a number one pick go “bust”. Until he wins and is a proven leader, Russell is not a story unless there is evidence that he’s heading down the Ryan Leafpath.
The following quotes were spoken by Tom Cable at the owners’ meetings this week:
”If (Russell) can accept the responsibility of being an NFL quarterback, I think that’s working more, working harder, working longer than everybody else, accepting the responsibility that his teammates look to him as the face of the organization, that he has to go above and beyond almost on a daily basis, I think comes with that position, whether that’s right or wrong, that’s what it is. If he can accept that, he will be fine.”
Many took Cable’s words and ran with them. Making it seem as if the head coach was disappointed with Russell and, in some Phil Jackson type manner, was using the media to send a message to his young quarterback. Since the end of the season, Russell has been a fixture at the Raider facility in Alameda. His absence has been only to undergo ankle surgery and to be with his mother.
It is obvious that much is expected of Russell in 2009. Cable’s words were not meant to distance him from his quarterback - don’t mistake this for a Jay Cutler/Josh McDaniels scenario. Instead, Cable is merely trying to keep the NFL’s youngest starting quarterback hungry and humble. Asking more of your players is what every great coach does. If you think that Bill Belichick isn’t constantly challenging Tom Brady to be better and work harder, then you know nothing of the business of professional sports and must work for Donald Sterling.
Lost in all the infatuation with rookies Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco leading their teams to the playoffs was a string of three gamesthat put the NFL on alert to what Russell is capable of. JaMarcus threw for 626 yards, completed 63% of his passes and tossed 6 touchdowns to just two interceptions. More importantly, the Raiders won two of those final three games.
JaMarcus has room for improvement, this is clear. He has proven very little at this point. Aside from that amazing arm - one that Phil Simms referred to as legendary - JaMarcus has proven to be smart with the football. Throwing just 8 interceptions all year long says Russell is more likely to throw the ball away or is putting it in areas where no defensive player has a chance to make a play on it. Some can be attributed to his inaccuracies in the passing game. However, it cannot be dismissed as simply being a result of wild throws. His decision making is much better than he is credited for.
sp_raiders03_084pc-209x300.jpg

His growth throughout 2008 was impressive when one considers that he had to adjust to two different head coaches and two different play callers. The receiving core was shuffled each week and Zach Miller was the lone constant. Injuries to Justin Fargas and first round selection Darren McFadden meant he had little support from the running game on any given week.
Still, there is work to be done, none can argue that.
Russell is fumble prone and must prove he can be relied on for taking care of the football when under pressure. There is, after all, an art to knowing how to take a sack (see Ben Roethlisberger). This is the NFL, no matter how great your offensive line is, as a QB, you’re going to be under constant pressure. JaMarcus is going to have to read and react much quicker as well. Getting the ball out of your hands in a timely matter, making quick reads and being calm under pressure is what separates the Dan Marinos from the Kerry Collins of the NFL.
There are great expectations on JaMarcus. A man known for his kind demeanor is going to have to find a voice that garners respect in addition to likeability.
Don’t mistake “room for improvement” with “failure”. Any pro that does not have room for improvement is on their way out the door whether via retirement or lack of skill.
Those who expect an instant return on investment are living in a video game world. The NFL becomes more complex with each passing year. Success, for quarterbacks, comes over the length of a career and not in one excused absence from a week of voluntary workouts. Troy Aikman was 0-11 as a rookie, John Elway floated balls all over the field in route to completing just 47% of his passes in his first year and Peyton Manning tossed 28 interceptions as a first year starter while winning just 3 of 16 starts.
Those who are looking for an early sign of failure have tunnel vision and cannot examine the big picture. Matt Cassel was not a rookie; he studied under Tom Brady and played with a team one year removed from going 16-0 before being given the keys to Kansas City. Matt Ryan had the NFL’s second best rusher behind him and Joe Flacco was backed by a defense capable of washing away rookie mistakes.
Every quarterback receives criticism and therefore walks alone, but no successful quarterback does it by themselves and therefore cannot win alone

Raiders are AFC West contenders _ really

Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 at 1:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.
What better day to proclaim the Raiders contenders to claim their first division title since 2002 than April Fool’s Day?
Except it’s no joke.

Look around the division. Dysfunction junction has moved to Colorado, the Chargers are acting as if if they were a 12-4 division winner and the Chiefs are just starting to rebuild.
Tom Cable gave an ever-so-gentle reminder to JaMarcus Russell at the NFL’s owners meetings they expect him to build upon the final six weeks of the season in terms of work ethic and leadership.
Meanwhile, Josh McDaniels maneuvered his way into a nasty divorce with quarterback Jay Cutler, and though it benefits the Broncos in the long run to be rid of a player who looks more like a spoiled front-runner every day, it could mean a rocky 2009 as Denver reconstructs both its defense and its offense under the direction of a new and yet-to-be discovered on-field leader.
The San Diego Chargers were confident enough in their division-winning 8-8 to make no virtually no moves. Their coach is still Norv Turner. Is it just me, or is the whole LaDainian Tomlinson-Darren Sproles issue going to be a big problem? Tomlinson’s stature will make it difficult to move him aside. With the Raiders, it will create barely a ripple with the fan base and the player involved if they nudge Justin Fargas aside to get more use out of Darren McFadden and Michael Bush.
In Kansas City, Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley are in the early stages of rebuilding, and they’re doing with a cold, calculated, arrogance which could turn off not only fans but many of their players, with Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson being the two elephants in the room.
Pioli comes with excellent credentials, but his dynamic is different. He worked with Bill Belichick in New England. In Kansas City, Haley works for him.
With no access to the offseason program, it’s impossible to know for sure, but the guess here is Cable is fostering the same sort of chemistry he managed to forge last year with a team which was sold out by both the owner and the coach, both of whom placed their own running battle above everything else.
The teamwork of Al Davis and Cable has already paid dividends in the signing of Khalif Barnes. Cable wanted him, Davis got him, but at his price.
(Whether Barnes can actually be a top-level offensive lineman is a story which will play itself out).
Long-time Raider bashers really don’t have a lot to work with right now. No huge-money deals to questionable free agents. The re-signing of their most important players (Nnamdi Asomugha, Shane Lechler, Isaiah Ekejiuba).
You know it’s slim pickings when letting Rashad Baker get away to the Philadelphia Eagles is the biggest point of contention.
There are huge issues to be addressed. Other than bringing in a new coordinator, the Raiders have done next to nothing about their run defense, which gives up touchdowns like no other in the NFL.
They’ll have to bring Russell along to the point where he can carry an attack if their own running game struggles. As a virtual rookie, Russell was much better when the Raiders were run-heavy, one of the legitimate points Lane Kiffin made repeatedly before his feud with Davis was finally and mercifully terminated by the owner, even if it continues in arbitration.
Oakland has already demonstrated it can beat Kansas City and Denver, and a win over San Diego is overdue. A win in Week 1 would be huge, and while the Raiders have done face plants in their last two Monday night openers, any resemblance to the team which won its last two games of the season in 2008 would make them competitive.
A few more notes after being away for the better part of the last week:
– What agents you manage to reach for the top players in the draft insist nothing has been set up with the Raiders for visits to Alameda. It’s not particularly significant. They get plenty of information between combines, Pro Days and their own research, and it’s also possible they’ve snuck a player or three in under the radar and requested it be kept a secret.
What the lack of publicized visits does do is heighten speculation that of those players generally figured to be a possibility at No. 7 _ Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Andre Smith, Everette Brown, Aaron Orapko, B.J. Raji, etc. _ maybe none of them figure in the equation.
Perhaps the Raiders are planning to break with tradition and trade down, with the Philadelphia Eagles holding the No. 21 and 28 picks in the first round. On the “trade value” chart I looked at, the No. 7 overall pick was worth 1,500 points, with No. 21 worth 800 and No. 28 worth 660.
(More than a few questions were sent in regarding this possibility during yesterday’s on-line chat).
Of course, Davis is about the last guy in the world I could imagine looking at a chart and saying he needs another 40 points to make the deal.
– Included in the transcript I posted before embarking on a trip to the happiest place on earth (other than Harbor Bay Parkway, of course) was an enthusiastic Cable response to his team’s character:
“I know the core of the team. I know the Morrisons and the Howards and the Gerard Warrens and the Nnamdi Asomughas, the Hiram Eugenes, the Chris Johnsons, the Cooper Carlisles, the Justin Fargas, the Darren McFaddens, the Zach Millers, the Robert Gallerys,” Cable said. “I can name a lot. You can see why I like this football team…there’s good reason why – there’s good character, there’s good people, there’s good talent, there’s good football players.”
It’s easy to read too much into a quote like that, but it’s at least interesting that among those he didn’t mention were Russell, Tommy Kelly and Michael Bush.
– We can also safety assume that Johnson and Eugene are both under contract, despite their free agent status (Eugene was a restricted free agent) and the fact the Raiders have never announced the signing of either man.
– The Raiders are keeping things quiet with regard to the media, but are staying out front in the community, assisting with youth field refurbishments in the Bay Area.
– Registration for comments in this space is up and running, I’m told. We’ll see how it works out. Hopefully it will improve the level of discussion, although it’s impossible to stop someone from writing profanities and racism on a bathroom stall if that’s what truly gives them pleasure.

Top 10 draft steals for the Oakland Raiders
April 3, 2:20 AM
Yesterday was a look at the Raiders various draft moves that did not work out so well, for whatever reason. Today, it is time to look at the picks that went right. These are the players that ended up being the biggest steals. As there was yesterday, there will be disagreement with this list. Without further ado, here is the top ten Raider draft steals.
10. Nnamdi Asomugha 2003 1st rd #31
OK, how can a first round pick be a steal? Very easily, he is selected at the end of the round and becomes the elite player at his position. At the time, he was so unknown the commissioner butchered his name. Now, he is considered the best corner in the game.
9. Ronald Curry 2002 7th round #235
True, Curry was injury prone, and never had a 1000 yard season. He was selected with a throwaway pick and ended up leading the team in receiving categories for two years. His problematic 2008 campaign made it easy to forget that he was money for the Raiders for a couple years. He also gets bonus points for the spectacular catch in the snow in Denver.
8 Grady Jackson 1997 6th rd # 193
Grady Jackson was a key member of the Raiders defense during their playoff run in the early 2000s. He was the run clogger that the Raiders are sorely missing now.
7 Howie Long 1981 2nd rd #48
Long was actually the third player picked by the defending champion Oakland Raiders in that draft. He went on to a Hall of Fame career for the Silver and Black.
6 Bo Jackson 1987 7th rd # 183
Bo was one of the most high profile athletes ever. He was also a freak of nature on both the baseball diamond and gridiorn. Had Bo played football full time, instead of splitting his time between baseball and football, and had he not gotten injured after only four seasons he would likely have set every rushing record so high they would never be broken. He was a steal for the Raiders in the seventh round, however, he was only a part time player for a short time.
5 Greg Biekert 1993 7th rd # 181
Beikert was the leader of the Raiders defense for several years. He was the one who deciphered Peyton Manning's audibles in a game against the Colts, which helped the Raiders come from behind in 2000.
4 Shane Lechler 2000 5th rd # 142
If Lechler played any other position, his name would be consistently preceded with the phrase "future Hall of Famer." He is the all time leader in net punting average. He is establishing himself as possibly the best ever at his position, and the Raiders got him in the fifth round.
3 Rod Martin 1977 12th rd #317
His name wasn't carved on the MVP plaque after his three interceptions in Super Bowl XV, but it should have been. He played for the Raiders for 12 years, and was selected in a round that no longer exists.
2 Greg Townsend 1983 4th rd # 110
Townsend was selected in the fourth round, and went on to terrorize opposing quarterbacks for the remainder of his career. He is currently the Raiders career sack leader.
1 Lester Hayes 1977 5th rd # 126
Lester Hayes was the very definition of shutdown corner during his time in Silver and Black. After his breakout season in 1980 where he missed the single season interception record by one, quarterbacks started ignoring his site of the field.

Bo Jackson, Howie and Nnamdi are my 3 favorite Raider draft steals...

Some of you who never got to watch Bo live...he could've been the best ever @ RB.

i loved the fact that when they picked Nnamdi all the ESPN clowns called it a terrible pick and that it was a massive reach.

Garcia reportedly could be Russell’s backup

Sunday, April 5th, 2009 at 9:42 am in Oakland Raiders.

As the game of free agency musical chairs for quarterbacks continues, Jeff Garcia is reportedly considering the Raiders.

The same Garcia who visited with Lane Kiffin two years ago, only to sign with the Tampa Bay Bucs in part because he feared the Raiders would draft JaMarcus Russell.

The same Garcia who told Bay Area media by conference call during the last week of the season he still considered himself a starting quarterback.

Profootballtalk.com posted a Garcia-to-Oakland item last night, and NBC Bay Area took it a step further, saying a deal was close.

Reached Garcia’s agent this morning, who declined comment.

It’s clear that Garcia is not going into anyone’s camp as the No 1 quarterback.

The issue before Garcia is if he wants to go to a situation where there is a potentially faltering starter, meaning he could conceivably take over the job, or enter in to a situation where he has no chance to be No. 1 unless there is an injury.

If he is OK at age 39 with being No. 2, Garcia could be present the sort of mentor in terms of preparation and work ethic that coach Tom Cable would like to pair with Russell, who is still developing in those areas. It would also provide the Gilroy native a chance to move back to the Bay Area.

Garcia worked for a year with quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett in Tampa Bay.

There has been some movement regarding free agent quarterbacks in recent days, with Kyle Boller signing with St. Louis and Patrick Ramsey with Tennessee. Boller had a visit with the Raiders.

Oakland also had a visit early on with Seattle’s Charlie Frye, who remains a free agent. Quinn Gray, who last played for Kansas City, talked with the Raiders a year ago.

At present, the candidates to back up Russell are Andrew Walter and Bruce Gradkowski, another ex-Buc.

Acquiring Garcia would afford the Raiders the opportunity of landing a late-round draft pick for Walter, who is in the last year of his contract and has no plans to remain beyond that. It would be the last shot to get something for a player who doesn’t figure in their plans.

Other quarterbacks looking for teams include Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman and Gus Frerotte, not to mention Marques Tuiasosopo.

I think this would be a great signing, give Jamarcus a professional to mentor him.

Theres no point having Andrew Walter be the backup, Jamarcus cant learn anything from him

I wouldn't mind having Jeff Garcia as a backup. He's a veteran with tons of gametime experience and would be ready if called upon. He's local also so his attitude would be right.

I wouldn't mind having Jeff Garcia as a backup. He's a veteran with tons of gametime experience and would be ready if called upon. He's local also so his attitude would be right.

:cheers:

Garcia Is A Raider

Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2009, 3:16 p.m.
We’re hearing from multiple sources that quarterback Jeff <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_0_0">Garcia </nobr>is the newest member of the Oakland Raiders.
One tipster tells us that Garcia is already in the building and working out. (We haven’t yet confirmed that specific detail.)
Though some outlets are suggesting that Garcia will compete with starter JaMarcus Russell, we’re told that Garcia has no intention of competing with the first overall pick in the 2007 draft.
Then again, we all thought that Matt Leinart was entrenched as the starter in Arizona last year at this time, too.

:cheers:

Garcia Is A Raider

Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2009, 3:16 p.m.
We’re hearing from multiple sources that quarterback Jeff <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_0_0">Garcia </nobr>is the newest member of the Oakland Raiders.
One tipster tells us that Garcia is already in the building and working out. (We haven’t yet confirmed that specific detail.)
Though some outlets are suggesting that Garcia will compete with starter JaMarcus Russell, we’re told that Garcia has no intention of competing with the first overall pick in the 2007 draft.
Then again, we all thought that Matt Leinart was entrenched as the starter in Arizona last year at this time, too.

There is absolutely zero chance that Garcia is competing with Jamarcus to be the starter. He is a local guy that is going to come in and help Jamarcus on how to be a professional QB.

There is absolutely zero chance that Garcia is competing with Jamarcus to be the starter. He is a local guy that is going to come in and help Jamarcus on how to be a professional QB.
:smiley_acbe:

Jerry McDonald with another great blog:

Third time a charm for Garcia, Raiders By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, April 6th, 2009 at 1:15 pm in Oakland Raiders.
The first hookup was in 1999, when Jeff Garcia came to Alameda for a tryout and was so unimpressive the Raiders instead signed Andre Ware.

Garcia said he really didn’t blame Jon Gruden, because he wasn’t at his best during the workout. Besides, Garcia’s game has always been about the kind of creativity that isn’t on display in a series of out patterns to receivers he doesn’t know.
The next time was in the months leading up to the 2007 draft, with Lane Kiffin attempting to sell Garcia on the notion of being the Raiders starting quarterback, although it would be a temporary position assuming the Raiders drafted JaMarcus Russell.
The Raiders have no plans to make Garcia available to the media, which isn’t surprising since big-ticket signees such as Nnamdi Asomugha and Shane Lechler weren’t made available either.
Although there was an ESPN report Garcia would be competing for the starting job, the notion is ludicrous at the outset. If that’s the case, then Russell must be fast approaching the 300-pound limit he allegedly (falsely, as it turned out) he flirted with last year and have an entourage number six or more.
Garcia is in Oakland because he’s 39 years old, it’s in the Bay Area, and he won’t find a job as a starter. Garcia told the Bay Area media by conference call last year _ he high-jacked the call from Derrick Brooks, insisting that he be the one to speak to `hometown’ reporters _ the end was nearing on his career, but that he still considered himself an NFL starter.
There is much Garcia can teach Russell about preparation and work ethic. Garcia is never out of shape and fought his way through San Jose State, the Canadian Football League as well as eventual rejection by San Francisco, Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia and finally Tampa Bay.
Russell has known nothing but being the big man on campus in Mobile, Ala., at LSU, and with the Raiders. If he is interested in watching closely, he can pick up some valuable insight. It will be up to Russell, just as it has been since he arrived, to determine how good he wants to be.
When Garcia is good, he is amazing. In an overtime win over the Raiders in 2002, Garcia played about as good a game as I’ve seen a quarterback play against the Raiders, decisively out-dueling Rich Gannon.
When Garcia is bad and out of rhythm, few quarterbacks look worse. I’ve written him off more than a few times after poor games, and been wrong every time.
In terms of style, the Russell and Garcia are nothing alike, and that’s not a bad thing. You really don’t want your backup to be a clone of the starter, because then you’re running the same plays, in the same order, with an inferior quarterback.
You’d rather have the backup be a change-of-pace, giving the defense something different to look at. Ken Stabler was nothing like Daryle Lamonica, attacking mid-range rather than deep. The first backup to win the Super Bowl, Jeff Hostetler, got outside the pocket and made things happen, in contrast to dropback passer Phil Simms.
I floated the idea of signing Michael Vick under certain conditions the other day, something the Raiders probably never considered. They’ve been playing it safe and smart, having been burned by being too bold last year.
Garcia is the safe, smart choice.
You really only need to think about it for split second.
Should Russell be injured, do you want Jeff Garcia, Andrew Walter or Bruce Gradkowski?
Thought so.

jeff garcia fuckin sucks. i too hate him and it's stupid move for the raiders. why?

In a perfect Raiders World Jeff Garcia never sees the field...this is a move for a cheap veteran backup QB who practices hard and can "light a fire" under JaMarcus...nothing more.

This is a NO LOSE signing by the Raiders...don't understand how y'all can't see that....:tiphat:

Yep Garcia knows what he is in Oakland to do.

Garcia: I’m here to help JaMarcus

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 at 8:12 am in Oakland Raiders.

NBC Bay Area, which broke the original story of Jeff Garcia signing with the Raiders, managed to get a few questions in to the club’s newest quarterback at the security gate before he went into seclusion:

Jeff Garcia: It’s great to be back in the Bay Area, to be back close to home and obviously, having been a fan of Bay Area sports ever since I was a little kid, just to be back and have a chance to maybe finish off my career here in Oakland would be the ideal thing for me. Today was just a lot of getting back to football related issues and getting to meet my teammates for the first time, and getting to meet with the coaches, and do those necessary things in order to hopefully help this team win football games.

Q: Before heading to Tampa Bay, talk that you might come to Oakland. What wasn’t right about it at the time, what is right about it now?

Garcia: At the time it wasn’t right because I just had feelings that they were going to go after a quarterback in the first round, which is what they did, and I felt like at the time, Tampa Bay was just a better fit for me as far as where I was as a player and what I could do for that team, basically having been given the starting spot by signing there. Me coming back , I know that I’m somewhat at the latter part of my career. I still feel like I still have a lot to offer, still have a lot to bring to a team. But it’s really about my family now. My family, personally, is getting bigger. We live in California. We didn’t want to have to pack up and move across the country again. It’s great to be close to home. It’s great to be playing for a team I grew up being a big fan of. I was a huge fan of so many of the former Raiders, the Ken Stablers, the Jim Plunketts, the Mark vanEeghens, so many of the historical names that are associated with this team, and now to be associated with that is a very positive thing for me.

Q: Status behind Russell . . .

Garcia: I realize that JaMarcus right now is the anointed starter. I’m going to support him and help him any way that I can. Part of helping him is by pushing him and showing him what I’m capable of as a player also. I think that it’s important to show that this team has depth in all positions and quarterback is definitely going to be one of those positions that there will be positive depth at and if he, for some reason, can’t do it, then hopefully I’m the guy that can do it. It’s one of those things where I’m going to be very supportive of him. He has so much talent within himself, hopefully I can just help to bring it out, in him, and also, help be a leader on this team, and help bring this team together as a unit and allow us to play together as a team every Sunday and compete at a high level.

Raiders hope Johnson a system fit

Marcus Johnson spent an underwhelming four years with the Minnesota Vikings unable to seize a starting position despite enough skill to make him the 49th player selected in the 2005 draft.

The Raiders hope Johnson, officially signed Monday along with Garcia, has enough mobility and athleticism to make a successful conversion to the zone blocking system.

Johnson’s ability to play both tackle and guard (he’s predominantly a right side player), along with the presence of fellow free agent signee Erik Pears, makes things more precarious for veteran tackle Cornell Green.

The loser of the Khalif Barnes-Mario Henderson battle on the left side could also figure at right tackle.

Johnson’s signing with Oakland put the finishing touches on a Vikings draft class that was a complete bust.

to the haters of Jeff Garcia, ask yourself this question. who would you rather have as the back up, Tuiossosopo for the umpteenth year or Jeff Garcia?

Chargers are coached by Norv, that is all.

They have gotten worse every year since he became coach, 14-2 the year before he got there, 11-5 his first year, 8-8 last year.

Looks like he is on pace for a solid 5-11 year

You mean the Norv that is 4-0 against the Raiders the last two years?

Not to worry...I'm sure you'll blow his Chargers out on Monday nite, week 1

A raiders team that was coached by Lane Kiffen, who may just be the one person who is a worse coach than Norv.

I guess that is fair, though I don't share your view on Kiffen or Turner...

Turner took the Chargers to the AFC Ch gm two yrs ago with no LT, no Gates for all practical purposes and Rivers playing on one knee. They gave an undefeated Patriots team absolutely all they could handle in Foxboro with this depleted squad. Not saying Turner is some HOF coach or anything...but there are clearly guys worse than him.

yeah I love this schedule NFL kind of hooked us up. And I love were not getting the usal bye week after 3 or 4 games lol.

We get over 10 days to get ready for Pitt, Dont leave Cali for 6 weeks love it.

Dont like that we have maybe 3 bad weather games (@pitt, Den and Browns) but thats football.

Ya the 3 bad weather games sucks, but we get the Giants in october so the weather should be good and Philly at home.

The bye is huge, getting a bye in week 3 or 4 for the past seemingly 10 years has been a killer.

Chargers @ Oakland (Monday Nite)

Objectively, if nothing significant changes between now and then:

Chargers -3 or -3.5

A lot of it is perception. That line might even go to -4 or more. I would 'consider' the Raiders at that--again, that's total speculation, though, a lot will change between now and then.

I suppose it could go as low as 2.5, but I don't see it below that, anything below that is probably SD value.

I'm surprised to see the Raiders starting off with those three division games. This happened to the Browns, either last year or two years ago, it sucks. There's a ton of pressure to win immediately--and with a really young team like the Raiders have, I'd worry about that.

Oh, and f**king finally the Browns don't have to go beat that team in that pit they call a stadium. They can come take their whoopin' in the Dawg Pound for a change.

=)

Chargers @ Oakland (Monday Nite)

Objectively, if nothing significant changes between now and then:

Chargers -3 or -3.5

A lot of it is perception. That line might even go to -4 or more. I would 'consider' the Raiders at that--again, that's total speculation, though, a lot will change between now and then.

I suppose it could go as low as 2.5, but I don't see it below that, anything below that is probably SD value.

I'm surprised to see the Raiders starting off with those three division games. This happened to the Browns, either last year or two years ago, it sucks. There's a ton of pressure to win immediately--and with a really young team like the Raiders have, I'd worry about that.

Oh, and f**king finally the Browns don't have to go beat that team in that pit they call a stadium. They can come take their whoopin' in the Dawg Pound for a change.

=)

When I became a Raider fan for LIFE...

January 4, 1981

AFC: Oakland Raiders 14, Cleveland Browns 12

<TABLE style="MARGIN-LEFT: 3em" class=wikitable align=right><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6e6e6"><TH></TH><TH width=25>1</TH><TH width=25>2</TH><TH width=25>3</TH><TH width=25>4</TH><TH width=25>Total</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=left>Raiders</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>14</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=left>Browns</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>12</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

at Cleveland Stadium, Cleveland, Ohio
In a play that has become to be known as Red Right 88, Browns quarterback Brian Sipe's pass was intercepted in the end zone by Raiders safety Mike Davis with 41 seconds left in the game to preserve Oakland's 14-12 victory. Instead of opting for a game winning field goal, Cleveland decided to attempt a passing play because Browns kicker Don Cockroft had previously missed two field goal attempts, had another aborted following a bad snap, and had one extra point blocked.
With the game-time temperature at 4°F, the coldest NFL game since the Ice Bowl of December 31, 1967, Cleveland scored first when Ron Bolton returned an interception 42 yards to the end zone. However, Cockroft's ensuing extra point was blocked and the Raiders responded by driving 64 yards to score on a 1 yard touchdown run by Mark van Eeghen. Cockroft made two field goals in the third quarter, but in the fourth period, Oakland marched 80 yards to score on van Eeghen's second touchdown.

The quarterbacks of both teams were completely dominated throughout the game. Sipe was held to just 13 of 40 completions for 183 yards and intercepted 3 times, while Oakland's Jim Plunkett completed only 14 of 30 passes for 149 yards, with 2 interceptions.
  • Scoring
    • CLE - Bolton 42 interception return (kick blocked) CLE 6-0
    • OAK - van Eeghen 1 run (Bahr kick) OAK 7-6
    • CLE - field goal Cockroft 30 CLE 9-7
    • CLE - field goal Cockroft 30 CLE 12-7
    • OAK - van Eeghen 1 run (Bahr kick) OAK 14-12
The Raiders went on to become the 1st wild card entry to win the Super Bowl DOMINATING Philly in Bowl XV 27-10...

Last edited:
Back