Report says Walker stays _ so no to T.O.?

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 at 10:31 am in Oakland Raiders.
The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting Javon Walker has accepted a contract restructure which signifcantly reduces the amount of actual money he will be paid and greatly reduces his salary cap number.

Under terms of the deal, Walker will reportedly receive an average of $3.2 million per instead of $9 million. He’ll cut his salary this year from $4 million to $2 million. Due a $5 million roster bonus, Walker will instead get his base salaries guaranteed for the next two seasons.
With Walker sticking around, it would seen unlikely the Raiders would get into the mix for Terrell Owens, which could eliminate the serious T.O. speculation before it really gets rolling.

Breaking news: Javon takes paycut

Raiders wide receiver Javon Walker did a "major restructuring" of his contract, a league source familiar with the significantly reduced deal told The Chronicle this morning, allowing him to stay on the team for a second season and giving the Raiders much-needed cap relief.
For starters, Walker's $5 million roster bonus was eliminated -- well, sort of. Instead of a bonus, he'll get his adjusted base salaries guaranteed for the next two seasons against skill, injury and cap.
As far as average annual salary goes, Walker went from (potentially) $9 million a year to $3.2 million a year.
He makes $2 million in base salary this season and $2.6 million next season -- that accounts for all but $400,000 of his roster bonus. But be sure, he's losing serious money with slashed base salaries.
He was due $4 million this season and $6 million next season. He also will make $3.2 million in 2011 (instead of $8 million), $3.8 million in 2012 (instead of $10 million) and $4.4 million in 2013 (instead of $10 million).
Of course, those latter years were inflated to begin with and the Raiders were never going to keep him around at those costs.
The Raiders win because his cap number just plunged from nearly $10 million to $2 million this season. Walker wins, sort of, because he would not have likely made anything close to this on the market if the Raiders released him, which a source said they were ready to do if he did not agree to a restructured contract.
OK, enough with numbers.
Now, the Raiders need to see what they can squeeze out of Walker after a disastrous first season that netted 15 catches (with $12 million paid) and a trip to the Injured Reserve with ankle surgery.
Posted By: David White (Email) | March 05 2009 at 09:57 AM

:cheers:

Barnes concludes visit, Burnett still looking

A source familiar with the talks said tackle Khalif Barnes had concluded his visit and returned home without a formal offer, but that there was interest on both sides in working on a deal.
Barnes visited with the Raiders Wednesday.
Linebacker Kevin Burnett, meanwhile, was in San Diego after visiting Oakland and has moved on to Houston, where he will meet with the Texans today, according to the Houston Chronicle.

great move on Javon Walker

raiders saved 8 mill in cap room thats nice.

Read that Walker has been workin out like crazy in Oaktown, I think he really wants to prove he can still ball. He went through alot of shit last year and it didnt help that him and Kiffin didnt see eye 2 eye. I expect big things from Javon if he really is commited.

Last edited:
AL Davis is the man.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/indexn?blogid=11

Gallery, Fargas restructure, too

Raiders left guard Robert Gallery and running back Justin Fargas also restructered their contracts recently, but they didn't take a financial hit like wide receiver Javon Walker.
Both had an undisclosed amount of their contract money converted to a signing bonus and had additional years tacked on to the back of the contract, two league sources told The Chronicle today. They'll still get the same amount of money at the end of the day, whereas Walker forfeited $22 million in base salary and a $5 million roster bonus with his redone deal, a source said.
The changed deals for Gallery and Fargas allow the Raiders to prorate the money over the life of the extended contracts, which are each voidable back to the original length (Gallery and Fargas are signed through 2010). That's as opposed to having all of the money count against the cap this year.
Gallery, who just restructered a year ago, had an $8.999 million salary cap number with a $5.372 million roster bonus due -- the figure most likely to be converted to a signing bonus -- with a $620,000 base salary.
Fargas had a $5.298 million cap number with a $2.5 million base salary and $1 million roster bonus.
The Raiders got to keep their starters and cap space, too. The players were given the assurance of not being released before they could collect this year's salaries and bonuses.
OK, numbers give me a headache, so here's a football take on it all.
The Raiders clearly want Fargas back for another year, and believe he has something to offer, because it would have been easy enough to release him in favor of young backs Darren McFadden and Michael Bush.

March 5, 2009

The Pros and Cons of T.O.

Let's have some fun with this whole Terrell Owens situation.
Most pundits have the Raiders being a viable destination for the man known as T.O. But why?

Here's why it shouldn't happen:

*The team has publicly stated it wants to give its young players opportunities. Owens would definitely take away catches from those players. Javon Walker is still on the team, too. How many vets do the Raiders need.
*Owens' personality goes against all of what Tom Cable has tried to establish in the locker room. Though he's been called a good teammate and professional, he's been seen as a divisive force on three teams.
*Money used to lure Owens would be better spent adding to the offensive line, on another veteran quarterback and depth on defense.
*The Raiders lack the strong leader on offense to deal with Owens.
*If you think Owens was hard on Jeff Garcia, Donovan McNabb and Tony Romo, how would he deal with JaMarcus Russell?
*In spite of their reputaiton as a haven for the NFL's rebels, this Raider team is really tame. For al the drama with Walker before the season, he wasn't an issue.
Besides Tommy Kelly's DUI last season, the team hasn't had really any big distractions on the team.
Most of those last season came courtesy of Lane Kiffin vs. Al Davis.
And there are some reasons for the Raiders to consider Owens:
*Even at 35, Owens would be the Raiders' best receiver.
*No one has ever questioned Owens' work ethic. Who better to teach the Raiders' young wideouts about how to prepare?
*If reports that most of the NFL wants no part of Owens are accurate, the Raiders might be able to sign Owens at a discount.
Admittedly, it was much easier to come up with reasons not to bring Owens on. So we'll see what happens.
*In non-Owens news, the Cowboys also released safety Roy Williams. I've heard Raider fans clamor for Williams in the past. But he wouldn't be a good fit.
If the Raiders' new defense requires more coverage from its safeties, Williams wouldn't be a good fit.
Williams' playing time decreased in Dallas because of his coverage skills. So the Raiders would be better off sticking with Tyvon Branch, Michael Huff and Hiram Eugene as safeties.
*Speaking of Walker (well I mentioned him earlier), he restructured his contract to stay in Oakland and reportedly reduce his salary cap-figure from $10 million to $2 million and forgoing his $5 million bonus due this week.
So it looks like Walker will be sticking around while also giving the Raiders some financial flexiblity.
*Even though OT Khalif Barnes had a good visit his signing isn't imminent. Stay tuned.
--Jason Jones

The fact that multiple Raiders are restructuring along with the fact that Asomugha and Lechler signed new deals shows the belief they have in Cable and in Davis that the Franchise is going in the right direction. I love it

The fact that multiple Raiders are restructuring along with the fact that Asomugha and Lechler signed new deals shows the belief they have in Cable and in Davis that the Franchise is going in the right direction. I love it

:smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe:

Mr. Davis have his eye on the soon-to-be released Orlando Pace?

RAIDERS END PURSUIT OF BARNES

RaiderBeat.com Staff Report

A last-ditch effort to revive on-again, off-again talks with the Raiders about signing free-agent offensive tackle Khalif Barnes failed Monday.

The Raiders informed Barnes’ agent, Kenny Zuckerman, that they no longer are interested in signing Barnes, according to a team source.

The two sides discussed the parameters for a deal late last week and appeared close to working out the details. Managing general partner Al Davis stepped in and halted the negotiations because he isn’t ready to commit to who he wants protecting quarterback JaMarcus Russell’s blindside.

Davis, according to the team source, wasn’t sold on Barnes and still is considering using Oakland’s first-round draft pick (No. 7) on one of the many offensive tackle prospects available in this year’s NFL Draft.

The Raiders released Kwame Harris in February and have been discussing potential ways to fill the void ever since.

Third-year player Mario Henderson is the projected starter for now. Erik Pears was signed earlier this month and is viewed as a potential starter. The plans could change in an instant if the Raiders pursue a free agent such as Marvel Smith or opt to draft a tackle April 25-26.

Zuckerman could not be reached for comment. A Raiders official said he is not permitted to comment on contract negotiations.
<small> This entry was posted on Monday, March 9th, 2009 at 3:02 pm and is filed under </small>

I think Davis is looking at Pace as a fill in for at least a couple years at Right Tackle.

I still think he takes Crabtree at 7 over a LT.

Especially with them using a Zone Blocking Scheme, they don't need to overpay for a top 10 pick.

I think Davis is looking at Pace as a fill in for at least a couple years at Right Tackle.

I still think he takes Crabtree at 7 over a LT.

Especially with them using a Zone Blocking Scheme, they don't need to overpay for a top 10 pick.

One of Mr. Davis' biggest mistakes:

Only moving to #2 in the draft in 1997 and being "snookered" by St. Louis who moved to #1 and choose Pace (we were left with Darrell Russell)......:seeya:

I definitely think AD likes Crabtree...maybe envisions the 2nd coming of The Great Timmy Brown...but if he's gone...then LT or maybe Raji?

RAMS RELEASE PACE

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2009, 4:43 p.m.
The St. Louis Rams have announced that tackle Orlando Pace, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1997 draft, has been released.
We recently were told that the Rams had been “trying like hell” to trade Pace. Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange pointed out earlier today that the move will save the Rams $5.975 million against the 2009 salary cap.
“I can’t begin to thank Orlando for all he has meant to the Rams organization, since we selected him with the first overall pick in the 1997 draft,” said Rams Owner/Chairman Chip Rosenbloom in a team-issued release. “It is never easy to end a relationship that has had as much success as ours, but in the best interest of Orlando and the Rams, we feel now is the right time. As a Super Bowl Champion and seven-time Pro Bowler, he has been a true professional and will always go down as one of the finest Rams of all time. We wish him, Carla and their children the very best as they move onto the next chapter of their football journey.”
It remains to be seen where that next chapter unfolds. Injured for much of 2006 and 2007, he played most of last season.
Though he’s no longer among the best left tackles in the game, he’s better than most left tackles on most other NFL teams.
Our guess is that the Raiders, who cut Kwame Harris and who opted not to sign Khalif Barnes, could be interested. The Bengals might eyeball Pace, who went to Ohio State, as a possible replacement for Stacey Andrews.
The Ravens also are looking for tackles. The Vikings might be interested in Pace as an option on the right side, given that they were believed in some circles to be interested in making a run at Carolina’s Jordan Gross.
In Kansas City, Pace would provide instant leadership in the locker room, and give 2008 rookie Brendan Albert more time to develop.

WITH EACH WORD FROM KIFFIN’S MOUTH, AL DAVIS LOOKS SMARTER

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2009, 7:01 a.m.
Quickly, former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin is becoming a reliable source of comic relief in the world of college football. More impressively, the guy who was fired via a press conference that featured strong words and Power Point has managed to make his former boss look good.
As Raiders owner Al Davis told it in September 30, Kiffin had essentially become a chronic pain in the butt. And Kiffin’s behavior since he became head coach at Tennessee has done more to prove than to disprove that notion.
Most recently, Kiffin allegedly told a recruit from South Carolina that a decision to attend his in-state school would result in a career of meeting the fuel needs of his state’s automobile-driving residents.
In fairness to Kiffin, he denies making the comment.
Just like he might have denied accusing Florida coach Urban Meyer of cheating in the recruiting process if, you know, Kiffin’s words hadn’t been caught on tape.
Bottom line? Unless the Volunteers get back to the upper echelon of college football quickly, Kiffin will soon be able to add another “former” to his employment history.

Barnes deal shows Cable-Davis on the same page

Saturday, March 14th, 2009 at 4:27 pm in Oakland Raiders.
In contrast to the ugliness of the previous regime between owner and coach, this is how the relationship is supposed to work.

Tom Cable got what he wanted in left tackle Khalif Barnes, according to an ESPN report. Al Davis got what he wanted, waiting until contract terms were favorable on a player who has had some off-the-field issues.
Barnes reportedly signed a one-year contract, meaning if he puts a good season together, he can seek bigger money next year when he will still be only 27 years old. From the sounds of it, Davis did a good job selling Barnes on that notion.
Having Barnes aboard will also keep a fire under Mario Henderson, and also ideally move Cornell Green to the bench, the role he was supposed to have for two seasons.

RAIDERS REEL IN BARNES

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 6:58 p.m.
Earlier today, our friends at RaiderBeat.com reported that talks between the Raiders and tackle Khalif Barnes were back on, and that a deal could soon be done.
And soon is now — Barnes is a Raider.
According to John Clayton of ESPN.com, the Raiders have signed Barnes.
But if Clayon is serious when he says that the one-year with underachieving Barnes constitutes a “free agent coup,” we suggest that Clayton sleep off whatever it is that he’s been smoking or drinking.
Barnes was a chronic underachiever in Jacksonville, who nearly lost his starting job last year to Richard <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_33_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%">Collier</NOBR>.
Then there’s the whole “KKK Devil” thing, followed by the abandoned Mercedes that he wrapped around a tree thing.
So, yeah, they scored a real coup, John. Maybe next they’ll trade for Donte’ Stallworth.
But, hey, at least Clayton will get an extra-large fruit basket this Christmas from the guys at Priority Sports & Entertainment.

The Oakland Raiders scored a free agent coup Saturday by convincing Jaguars left tackle Khalif Barnes to sign with Raiders coach Tom Cable.

Barnes agreed to a one-year contract. Terms of the deal weren't available. Barnes had been in talks with the Bucs late last week but opted to go with the Raiders, who were recruiting him hard to be a possible starter along the offensive line.

With Kwame Harris released, the Raiders' left tackle position is open, and Barnes will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting job. Barnes was a second-round pick of the Jaguars who has been starting at that position since his rookie season.

"I think this is a great opportunity and place for me to start fresh," Barnes said. "I'm excited to be part of helping this franchise get back on top and I will have a shot to be the starter at left tackle and that's all I can ask for. I have a lot to prove and I'm betting on myself by agreeing to a one-year contract. [Raiders owner] Mr. [Al] Davis has a track record of taking care of his own guys and he promised me the same, if I take care of my business on and off the field."

Barnes deal shows Cable-Davis on the same page

Saturday, March 14th, 2009 at 4:27 pm in Oakland Raiders.
In contrast to the ugliness of the previous regime between owner and coach, this is how the relationship is supposed to work.

Tom Cable got what he wanted in left tackle Khalif Barnes, according to an ESPN report. Al Davis got what he wanted, waiting until contract terms were favorable on a player who has had some off-the-field issues.
Barnes reportedly signed a one-year contract, meaning if he puts a good season together, he can seek bigger money next year when he will still be only 27 years old. From the sounds of it, Davis did a good job selling Barnes on that notion.
Having Barnes aboard will also keep a fire under Mario Henderson, and also ideally move Cornell Green to the bench, the role he was supposed to have for two seasons.

A one-year "prove it" contract for Barnes...PERFECT...impressed with Mr. Davis' off-season moves.

now we need DT Tank Johnson and a Vet WR like Holt or someone.

also need a vet QB to help Russell

A one year "prove it" contract for Tank would be great...and a signing of ex-Cal QB Kyle Boller or even a Quinn Gray or Gus Frerotte for vet minimum.........:shake:

Not that sold on Holt...I think he still views himself as an elite WR and would want too much $$$...we'll have to see how the graft goes down.
A Top 4 of Higgins, Schilens, Javon & Crabtree/Maclin looks good to me...I also wouldn't be surprised to see Drew Carter resigned to a "prove it" deal.
And, as Jerry McDonald mentioned in his blog, Holt is an artificial turf player...would his speed diminish greatly playing 12 or so games on grass?

But if we go Raji/Orakpo or OT in the 1st rd...then another proven WR is a must....:shake:

After last year's FA debacle...I'm impressed with the methodical, "sign your own first" approach of AD.

While youre at it, why dont you grab some Pacman too??

Also you could nab Mike Vick as a back up QB/wildcat guy...

:36_11_6:

just for you smoke ....

<TABLE class="infobox vevent" style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" width=300><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2><TABLE class=nowraplinks style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; BACKGROUND: #f9f9f9; LINE-HEIGHT: 95%" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="50%">Oakland Raiders</TD><TD align=middle width="50%">Philadelphia Eagles</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>(AFC)</TD><TD align=middle>(NFC)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 300%; LINE-HEIGHT: 100%" align=middle>27</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 300%; LINE-HEIGHT: 100%" align=middle>10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=center><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TH></TH><TH width=15>1</TH><TH width=15>2</TH><TH width=15>3</TH><TH width=15>4</TH><TH width=25>Total</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=right>OAK</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>14</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>10</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>3</TD><TD>27</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=right>PHI</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>3</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>7</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD>10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

just for you smoke ....

<table class="infobox vevent" style="font-size: 90%;" width="300"><tbody><tr><td style="text-align: center;" colspan="2">
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="middle"><table class="nowraplinks" style="background: rgb(249, 249, 249) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; font-size: 95%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; line-height: 95%;" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="middle" width="50%">Oakland Raiders</td><td align="middle" width="50%">Philadelphia Eagles</td></tr><tr><td align="middle">(AFC)</td><td align="middle">(NFC)</td></tr><tr><td style="font-size: 300%; line-height: 100%;" align="middle">27</td><td style="font-size: 300%; line-height: 100%;" align="middle">10</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="background-color: transparent;" align="center"><tbody><tr style="text-align: center;"><th>
</th><th width="15">1</th><th width="15">2</th><th width="15">3</th><th width="15">4</th><th width="25">Total</th></tr><tr style="text-align: center;"><td align="right">OAK</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">14</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">0</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">10</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">3</td><td>27</td></tr><tr style="text-align: center;"><td align="right">PHI</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">0</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">3</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">7</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">0</td><td>10</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

just for you smoke ....

<TABLE class="infobox vevent" style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" width=300><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2><TABLE class=nowraplinks style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; BACKGROUND: #f9f9f9; LINE-HEIGHT: 95%" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="50%">Oakland Raiders</TD><TD align=middle width="50%">Philadelphia Eagles</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>(AFC)</TD><TD align=middle>(NFC)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 300%; LINE-HEIGHT: 100%" align=middle>27</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 300%; LINE-HEIGHT: 100%" align=middle>10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=center><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TH></TH><TH width=15>1</TH><TH width=15>2</TH><TH width=15>3</TH><TH width=15>4</TH><TH width=25>Total</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=right>OAK</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>14</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>10</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>3</TD><TD>27</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=right>PHI</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>3</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>7</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD>10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:36_11_6:

Ya if they sign Holt than I would think they lay off Crabtree or Maclin at the 7

But I would not mind that, they could even get Heyward-Bay (spelling?) in the 2nd.

good read on what could be a future Raider. I want him or DHB or trade down and get Alex Mack

"HE GOES UP AND FIGHTS FOR THE BALL"

No matter how well Crabtree does on the field this season, there will always be skeptics who say that his greatness is merely a result of the Tech system. They'll say he's a step slow. They'll predict he'll be exposed if he goes pro a year from now and faces real defenses. And they'll be wrong.
This summer, Wells, who says he has worked security for some of the Dallas Cowboys, arranged for Crabtree to work out at Deion Sanders' football camp in Dallas. For two days, Crabtree ran routes against Pacman Jones and other NFL defensive backs while Sanders and his pal Michael Irvin gave him pointers. Crabtree says Irvin showed him how to beat press coverage and maneuver through a defensive backfield. The NFL players say Crabtree showed them a few things too. "Man, he's a helluva player," says Omar Stoutmire, an 11-year NFL vet. "The way he goes up and fights for the ball—you won't find many receivers who can do it like that. I saw him make three catches against some of the best cornerbacks in the NFL. That's all about attitude."

CrabWeb.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3531059

good read on what could be a future Raider. I want him or DHB or trade down and get Alex Mack

"HE GOES UP AND FIGHTS FOR THE BALL"

No matter how well Crabtree does on the field this season, there will always be skeptics who say that his greatness is merely a result of the Tech system. They'll say he's a step slow. They'll predict he'll be exposed if he goes pro a year from now and faces real defenses. And they'll be wrong.
This summer, Wells, who says he has worked security for some of the Dallas Cowboys, arranged for Crabtree to work out at Deion Sanders' football camp in Dallas. For two days, Crabtree ran routes against Pacman Jones and other NFL defensive backs while Sanders and his pal Michael Irvin gave him pointers. Crabtree says Irvin showed him how to beat press coverage and maneuver through a defensive backfield. The NFL players say Crabtree showed them a few things too. "Man, he's a helluva player," says Omar Stoutmire, an 11-year NFL vet. "The way he goes up and fights for the ball—you won't find many receivers who can do it like that. I saw him make three catches against some of the best cornerbacks in the NFL. That's all about attitude."

CrabWeb.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3531059

I like this quote from our new OT, “I have a lot to prove and I’m betting on myself by agreeing to a one-year contract. Mr. Davis has a track record of taking care of his own guys, and he promised me the same, if I take care of my business on and off the field.”

RAIDERS CONTINUE TO NOT ANNOUNCE PERSONNEL MOVES

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 1:42 p.m.
Last week, the Oakland Raiders’ P.R. department worked overtime in the ongoing effort against former coach Lane Kiffin, sending to multiple media members (including folks who cover some of Tennessee’s rivals in the SEC) a letter from the Raiders to the president of the University of Tennessee, alleging all sorts of misbehavior by the Vols’ new head coach.
Meanwhile, the Raiders haven’t bothered to tell anyone that three players recently have re-signed.
According to David White of the San Francisco Chronicle, cornerback Justin Miller signed a two-year deal more than a week ago. Likewise, defensive tackle William Joseph showed up for offseason workouts after recently signing a new deal.
And three restricted free agents signed their tender offers: linebacker Ricky Brown ($1.545 million); linebacker Jon Alson ($1.01 million); and long snapper Jon Condo ($1.01 million).
Typically, the Oakland <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_16_0">Raiders </nobr>publicize their transactions merely by updating quietly the “Transactions” page on their web site. But these transactions have yet to appear even there.

Justin Miller (Kick returns): 32/794 24.8 avg 2 td (7 gms)...also frees up 2nd yr S-Tyvon Branch to start without worrying about kickoff duties.

William Joseph is cheap, backup DT material...

Last edited:
Fuck Mort the guy has made such a career of blasting the Raiders and gotten all of his little cronies at ESPN to follow suit.

Meanwhile you have people who actually understand Football and know Al Davis ( like John Madden) tell people that Al is good for Football and the NFL is a better league when the Raiders are better.

All these quotes are proving that Davis is still respected huge among NFL players, how many guys would take a 1 year prove it deal on a supposedly dysfunctional team.

Starting this year with the division very much up for grabs and the Raiders looking like a serious contender for it the media including ESPN will start slurping the Raiders and I hope Davis calls them out on it.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2009/03/18/cable-watches-mack-closely/#more-4364

The Raiders, having access to that information with Michalczik whenever they choose to use it, did not attend.

Colleague Steve Corkran noted a resemblence between Mack and former Raider Steve Wisniewski in the way he moved through drills. There was more than a little Wiz in Mack’s philosophy about how to play the offensive line.

“I think one of the things I’m well known for is my finish, and my striving to finish plays,” Mack said. “I think that’s something that’s contagious. I think you see one guy busting his ass out there, running down the field blocking people late, finishing to the whistle, and the other four guys on the O-line are watching him do that, and they’re going to join in. I think that’s something I could definitely contribute to any team I play for.”

They need to trade up their 2nd to a mid-late first and get this guy. SOunds like he would fit so well in that O-line at center

We need Alex Mack, but a lot of teams want him...

Hyped for draft day, trade down in the 1st round and take Mack, then LeShawn McCoy in Round 2

I would love Crabtree at 7 and then move the 40th overall and something else like Fargas or maybe a 3rd for something in the high teens/low 20's to take Mack

gets 2 instant starters that both directly help JaMarcus

Newly-rich Asomugha setting the pace for NFL on, off field

The face of the Oakland Raiders is not third-year quarterback JaMarcus Russell's. It actually is Nnamdi Asomugha, the 27-year-old Pro Bowl cornerback with shutdown cover skills and an older soul's community conscience.
Asomugha is as comfortable locking down elite receivers as he will be looking up Bill Clinton at the former president's Harlem, N.Y., office next month as he leads a recruiting trip of 10 disadvantaged East Oakland high school students seeking college scholarships they might otherwise never receive.

How good is Asomugha (pronounced awe-some-WAH) on the field?

Consider how three-time league MVP and Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning introduced the Raider to his father, Archie, at the Pro Bowl.
"Peyton said to his dad, 'I want you to meet Nnamdi, the absolute best shutdown corner in the league. If you don't believe me, go watch our 2007 game against him,' " Asomugha recalls. "Peyton threw at me twice. And Reggie Wayne made his catch against me with one hand.

"People were telling me at the Pro Bowl, 'You had (Wayne) blanketed, and the only way he could make that catch was with one hand.' "

Asomugha stands 6-2 and, at 210 pounds, has safety size. He has 4.38-second speed for 40 yards and a passion for education and activism worthy of a United Nation's representative.

He raised his profile Feb. 14-15 when he was the lone professional athlete invited to the second annual Clinton Global Initiative at the University of Texas in Austin. Asomugha spoke on a panel with Clinton, actor Matthew McConaughey and Marie Tillman, widow of late Army Ranger and former Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman, that addressed 1,200 international students and university presidents.

"I am delighted that Nnamdi participated in our Clinton Global Initiative University Meeting in Austin, where he joined more than 1,000 students and nearly 70 university presidents to take action on the pressing issues facing our local and global communities," Clinton said in an e-mail. "Nnamdi is an outstanding young man whose exceptional talents on the football field are outshone only by his efforts to make a difference in the lives of others."

Such praise is no surprise to newly elected Hall of Famer and former Raiders secondary mate Rod Woodson, who says, "Nnamdi is a special guy, the best in the business."

Introspective Asomugha is arguably the Deion Sanders of his day, minus Sanders' "Prime Time" moniker, 53 career interceptions (Asomugha has 10) and drum-major struts. But Asomugha wears his boyhood idol's No. 21 and can take away half of the field a la Sanders. But he prefers to let his play do his talking.

"Every corner has that inner Deion inside of them," he says. "It may surprise you, but I have some Deion in me. Some corners are so outward with it, and some are inward.

"When I say I have that Deion in me, I mean that same confidence. It's borderline arrogance. You're telling that receiver, 'There's nothing you can do against me.' And I have that same arrogance.

"I don't speak it, and I don't show it. But it's definitely inside me."

Asomugha set the gold standard for his position when he received a three-year, $45.3 million contact last month. His average annual salary of more than $15 million surpasses Manning's previous league-high best of $14 million a year.

That's good news for Asomugha's peers and newcomers, such as Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins, who will be drafted into the league next month.

MONEY AT CORNER: Jenkins doesn't want to be labeled a safety
"You look at this guy — the way he's played the last two years and with Champ Bailey being hurt last year in Denver — (and) Nnamdi is the class of the cornerback position, and he got a contract that was deservingly so," CBS analyst Shannon Sharpe says. "You love to see a guy who works his tail off, keeps his mouth shut and is as good off the field get rewarded."

While some general managers are upset that a cornerback makes quarterback money, Asomugha's younger contemporaries are thrilled.

"Nnamdi's contract is good for us cornerbacks," says New York Jets Pro Bowl corner Darrelle Revis. "The bar can only keep going higher and higher. I thank Nnamdi for that."

At the Pro Bowl, where relaxed rules prevent cornerbacks from jamming wideouts within the permissible 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, Manning and Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler tested Asomugha during the week of practice.

Want to guess what happened? They learned why so many QBs have avoided his side of the field.

Asomugha effortlessly jumped Manning's deep post-pattern pass intended for Broncos wideout Brandon Marshall. Asomugha also picked off Cutler on a throw intended for Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson.

"It's the most work I've gotten in the last three years," Asomugha laughs. "With the rules relaxed, Peyton and Jay were like, 'Let's see if we can get him in off coverage.' I've been able to hold up pretty well."

Small wonder why Asomugha earned his landmark pact. Slated for free agency heading into this offseason, his deal was hammered out to lock up the shutdown corner prized by Raiders owner Al Davis, who used the franchise tag on Asomugha in 2008 and covets his stifling pass-defense skills.

"Man-to-man coverage is somewhat of a lost art," Asomugha says. "When you look at Green Bay and Oakland, you know man coverage is what we're playing.

"Myself and (current Packers and former Raiders corner) Charles Woodson talk all the time about it. I know how much Mr. Davis values the ability to play man-to-man."

And Asomugha was aggressive in honing his craft early in his career.

Rod Woodson was with Asomugha during his rookie season in Oakland and says the 2003 first-round draft pick from the University of California was the lone rookie to seek him out. "In my 17 years in the league, he was the one kid who asked, 'What do you have for me?' " Woodson says.

"He's the only guy who ever asked to come over to my house, put a DVD on and study technique."

A big reason Asomugha hasn't gotten more attention — "You don't get noticed playing in Oakland sometimes," Rod Woodson says — is Oakland's 24-72 record during his six-year career.

Says Marshall, "I can't say Nnamdi's the best in the game because I'm on the same team with Champ Bailey. But Nnamdi is a shutdown corner. Quarterbacks and coaches are scared of him."

Roots in Nigeria, education

Asomugha is first-generation Nigerian-American. His family hails from eastern Nigeria, and higher education is the family vocation. His late father, Godfrey, a petroleum engineer, immigrated in 1972 before his wife, Lilian, arrived in 1974.

Asomugha's parents earned doctoral degrees, a family tradition.

His older sister, Chisara, is at Yale finishing her doctorate on a pediatric-medicine fellowship. Older brother Chijioke, a Stanford grad, is working on a master's in business administration at Columbia.

Asomugha is chairman of his family foundation, OWIN (Orphans and Widows in Need), which donates medicine and food while providing life skills to children and widows from Nigerian villages in dire need.

Asomugha's first name means "My Father Lives" in his native tongue. That's fitting considering how Asomugha served as a father figure to younger corners Revis and Cortland Finnegan of the Tennessee Titans at the Pro Bowl.

"I go to the Pro Bowl at 27, and what do Darrelle and Cortland call me but 'old head,' " Asomugha laughs. "They kidded me, saying, 'Look at what you're wearing.' I'm wearing sweats. They told me I looked like an old man.

"They remind me of how I was coming into the league. They just want to learn as much as they can."

Asomugha says former New England Patriots Pro Bowler Ty Law told him last offseason about a young, up-and-coming talent from his hometown of Aliquippa, Pa. — Revis, who reached the Pro Bowl in his second NFL season.

"Ty kept talking last offseason about 'my boy,' who went to his high school," Asomugha says. "Darrelle has a chance to be a shutdown corner. He's very smooth in his backpedals, very confident. He's starting to get the same treatment I do."

Finnegan gushed about Asomugha, saying, "Nnamdi was wonderful, taking me under his wing."

The lure of the corner

Martin Bayless was a safety with five teams from 1984 to 1996 before he became the Raiders' secondary coach from 2004-2005. The Raiders starting corners at the time? Asomugha and Charles Woodson.

Bayless helped convince Asomugha of the value of converting from the safety position he played at California and much of his first two NFL seasons. Bayless told Asomugha that in five years, he might command "5 million a year as a safety. But you could get $10 million a year as a cornerback."

That estimate was short by more than $5 million a year. Asomugha reaped the rewards Bayless envisioned by studying film of Sanders, two legendary lockdown Raiders corners in Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes, along with a former Bayless Kansas City Chiefs teammate, cornerback Albert Lewis, whose 6-3 frame is reminiscent of Asomugha's.

"Being tall, it's much more difficult for me to get down low and make the moves and turn and run like the other cornerbacks," Asomugha says.

"What I've had to do is make my strides mentally. Mentally, I can figure things out quickly."

Focus is his edge.

"It takes me one play to figure out receivers from film study," he says. "You have to understand quarterbacks, offenses and what a coach is trying to do."

The detailed notebook he keeps is an homage to Rod Woodson.

"I'm always taking notes on receivers, quarterbacks and the opposing coach," Asomugha says. "I got that from Rod, who was great about inviting me to his house to watch game film. He's like another coach — a tough-love coach.

"I know when I get the call from Rod after a couple of games each season, it's not going to be a great call. When you tell me Rod says, 'I'm the best in the business,' it's hard to believe he said that because he's so hard on me."

Bayless notes another asset Asomugha maximized. "This kid practiced every day against three future Hall of Fame receivers," Bayless says. "He went against Jerry Rice (2003-04). Even though Jerry was at the tail end of his career, Jerry Rice is still Jerry Rice. Nnamdi also practiced against Tim Brown (2003) every day, and then he practiced against Randy Moss (2005-06).

"He practiced against guys who — with what they brought — he arguably didn't come close to facing that in a game.

"He has an opportunity to be a Hall of Famer some day.

"He's special in a lot of ways."

Creating his legacy now

What also separates Asomugha is the offseason entourage he has kept the last three years.

He is a constant presence at the East Oakland Youth Development Center, located in what is notoriously called "The Killer Corridor." Asomugha will pay an estimated $15,000, with some assistance from sponsors, for 10 EOYD high schoolers to visit New York City institutions The Juilliard School, Columbia, New York University and Fordham.

Asomugha has driven the van and played cards and sometimes piano in bonding with the kids on similar placement tours the last two years to Atlanta- and Boston-area colleges.

"Nnamdi is magic walking," EOYD executive director Regina Jackson says. "He's not waiting 20 years to figure out what he'll be known for. He's creating his legacy right now.

"He's gotten 25 of our kids placed in college, kids who wouldn't otherwise have a chance to go to college."

Asomugha got to know the 42nd president during three days spent talking with Clinton at his summit on education.

"I believe I could call him if I needed something," Asomugha says of Clinton. "I felt like I grew on him.

"We talked the whole weekend — football, politics, just random things. He turned out to be an avid NFL fan. He was telling me how I helped him in playing fantasy football."

This offseason has been no fantasy for the Raiders.

The presumed death of Oakland linebacker Marquis Cooper, one of three men lost when Cooper's 21-foot fishing boat capsized in rough Gulf of Mexico waters during a Feb. 28 fishing trip, reaffirmed the frailty of life — and Asomugha's commitment to his off-field passion.

Cooper joined the Raiders in November and made an indelible impression, earning two game balls from coach Tom Cable as a special-teams standout. "It's so hard to speak of it, that we lost Marquis," Asomugha says. "There's no closure there yet for me."

Cooper's boat also carried former Detroit Lions defensive lineman Corey Smith and two former University of South Florida players.

Nick Schuyler was the lone survivor, found two days later clinging to the overturned boat during the three-day search conducted by the Coast Guard.

"In that short period of time Marquis was with us, there's nothing else you can say about him other than how nice a guy he was (and) the work he was doing in the community, and he just got here," Asomugha says. "That's why it was so difficult to hear the news about such a good-hearted person.

"I hope for his family and friends and the team we can get some sort of closure, that we find him."

Asomugha paused, then added, "What happened with Marquis reminds you that nothing is promised and let's take advantage of what we can do while we can."

A philosophy Asomugha consistently practices on and off the football field.

Newly-rich Asomugha setting the pace for NFL on, off field

The face of the Oakland Raiders is not third-year quarterback JaMarcus Russell's. It actually is Nnamdi Asomugha, the 27-year-old Pro Bowl cornerback with shutdown cover skills and an older soul's community conscience.
Asomugha is as comfortable locking down elite receivers as he will be looking up Bill Clinton at the former president's Harlem, N.Y., office next month as he leads a recruiting trip of 10 disadvantaged East Oakland high school students seeking college scholarships they might otherwise never receive.

How good is Asomugha (pronounced awe-some-WAH) on the field?

Consider how three-time league MVP and Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning introduced the Raider to his father, Archie, at the Pro Bowl.
"Peyton said to his dad, 'I want you to meet Nnamdi, the absolute best shutdown corner in the league. If you don't believe me, go watch our 2007 game against him,' " Asomugha recalls. "Peyton threw at me twice. And Reggie Wayne made his catch against me with one hand.

"People were telling me at the Pro Bowl, 'You had (Wayne) blanketed, and the only way he could make that catch was with one hand.' "

Asomugha stands 6-2 and, at 210 pounds, has safety size. He has 4.38-second speed for 40 yards and a passion for education and activism worthy of a United Nation's representative.

He raised his profile Feb. 14-15 when he was the lone professional athlete invited to the second annual Clinton Global Initiative at the University of Texas in Austin. Asomugha spoke on a panel with Clinton, actor Matthew McConaughey and Marie Tillman, widow of late Army Ranger and former Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman, that addressed 1,200 international students and university presidents.

"I am delighted that Nnamdi participated in our Clinton Global Initiative University Meeting in Austin, where he joined more than 1,000 students and nearly 70 university presidents to take action on the pressing issues facing our local and global communities," Clinton said in an e-mail. "Nnamdi is an outstanding young man whose exceptional talents on the football field are outshone only by his efforts to make a difference in the lives of others."

Such praise is no surprise to newly elected Hall of Famer and former Raiders secondary mate Rod Woodson, who says, "Nnamdi is a special guy, the best in the business."

Introspective Asomugha is arguably the Deion Sanders of his day, minus Sanders' "Prime Time" moniker, 53 career interceptions (Asomugha has 10) and drum-major struts. But Asomugha wears his boyhood idol's No. 21 and can take away half of the field a la Sanders. But he prefers to let his play do his talking.

"Every corner has that inner Deion inside of them," he says. "It may surprise you, but I have some Deion in me. Some corners are so outward with it, and some are inward.

"When I say I have that Deion in me, I mean that same confidence. It's borderline arrogance. You're telling that receiver, 'There's nothing you can do against me.' And I have that same arrogance.

"I don't speak it, and I don't show it. But it's definitely inside me."

Asomugha set the gold standard for his position when he received a three-year, $45.3 million contact last month. His average annual salary of more than $15 million surpasses Manning's previous league-high best of $14 million a year.

That's good news for Asomugha's peers and newcomers, such as Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins, who will be drafted into the league next month.

MONEY AT CORNER: Jenkins doesn't want to be labeled a safety
"You look at this guy — the way he's played the last two years and with Champ Bailey being hurt last year in Denver — (and) Nnamdi is the class of the cornerback position, and he got a contract that was deservingly so," CBS analyst Shannon Sharpe says. "You love to see a guy who works his tail off, keeps his mouth shut and is as good off the field get rewarded."

While some general managers are upset that a cornerback makes quarterback money, Asomugha's younger contemporaries are thrilled.

"Nnamdi's contract is good for us cornerbacks," says New York Jets Pro Bowl corner Darrelle Revis. "The bar can only keep going higher and higher. I thank Nnamdi for that."

At the Pro Bowl, where relaxed rules prevent cornerbacks from jamming wideouts within the permissible 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, Manning and Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler tested Asomugha during the week of practice.

Want to guess what happened? They learned why so many QBs have avoided his side of the field.

Asomugha effortlessly jumped Manning's deep post-pattern pass intended for Broncos wideout Brandon Marshall. Asomugha also picked off Cutler on a throw intended for Houston Texans receiver Andre Johnson.

"It's the most work I've gotten in the last three years," Asomugha laughs. "With the rules relaxed, Peyton and Jay were like, 'Let's see if we can get him in off coverage.' I've been able to hold up pretty well."

Small wonder why Asomugha earned his landmark pact. Slated for free agency heading into this offseason, his deal was hammered out to lock up the shutdown corner prized by Raiders owner Al Davis, who used the franchise tag on Asomugha in 2008 and covets his stifling pass-defense skills.

"Man-to-man coverage is somewhat of a lost art," Asomugha says. "When you look at Green Bay and Oakland, you know man coverage is what we're playing.

"Myself and (current Packers and former Raiders corner) Charles Woodson talk all the time about it. I know how much Mr. Davis values the ability to play man-to-man."

And Asomugha was aggressive in honing his craft early in his career.

Rod Woodson was with Asomugha during his rookie season in Oakland and says the 2003 first-round draft pick from the University of California was the lone rookie to seek him out. "In my 17 years in the league, he was the one kid who asked, 'What do you have for me?' " Woodson says.

"He's the only guy who ever asked to come over to my house, put a DVD on and study technique."

A big reason Asomugha hasn't gotten more attention — "You don't get noticed playing in Oakland sometimes," Rod Woodson says — is Oakland's 24-72 record during his six-year career.

Says Marshall, "I can't say Nnamdi's the best in the game because I'm on the same team with Champ Bailey. But Nnamdi is a shutdown corner. Quarterbacks and coaches are scared of him."

Roots in Nigeria, education

Asomugha is first-generation Nigerian-American. His family hails from eastern Nigeria, and higher education is the family vocation. His late father, Godfrey, a petroleum engineer, immigrated in 1972 before his wife, Lilian, arrived in 1974.

Asomugha's parents earned doctoral degrees, a family tradition.

His older sister, Chisara, is at Yale finishing her doctorate on a pediatric-medicine fellowship. Older brother Chijioke, a Stanford grad, is working on a master's in business administration at Columbia.

Asomugha is chairman of his family foundation, OWIN (Orphans and Widows in Need), which donates medicine and food while providing life skills to children and widows from Nigerian villages in dire need.

Asomugha's first name means "My Father Lives" in his native tongue. That's fitting considering how Asomugha served as a father figure to younger corners Revis and Cortland Finnegan of the Tennessee Titans at the Pro Bowl.

"I go to the Pro Bowl at 27, and what do Darrelle and Cortland call me but 'old head,' " Asomugha laughs. "They kidded me, saying, 'Look at what you're wearing.' I'm wearing sweats. They told me I looked like an old man.

"They remind me of how I was coming into the league. They just want to learn as much as they can."

Asomugha says former New England Patriots Pro Bowler Ty Law told him last offseason about a young, up-and-coming talent from his hometown of Aliquippa, Pa. — Revis, who reached the Pro Bowl in his second NFL season.

"Ty kept talking last offseason about 'my boy,' who went to his high school," Asomugha says. "Darrelle has a chance to be a shutdown corner. He's very smooth in his backpedals, very confident. He's starting to get the same treatment I do."

Finnegan gushed about Asomugha, saying, "Nnamdi was wonderful, taking me under his wing."

The lure of the corner

Martin Bayless was a safety with five teams from 1984 to 1996 before he became the Raiders' secondary coach from 2004-2005. The Raiders starting corners at the time? Asomugha and Charles Woodson.

Bayless helped convince Asomugha of the value of converting from the safety position he played at California and much of his first two NFL seasons. Bayless told Asomugha that in five years, he might command "5 million a year as a safety. But you could get $10 million a year as a cornerback."

That estimate was short by more than $5 million a year. Asomugha reaped the rewards Bayless envisioned by studying film of Sanders, two legendary lockdown Raiders corners in Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes, along with a former Bayless Kansas City Chiefs teammate, cornerback Albert Lewis, whose 6-3 frame is reminiscent of Asomugha's.

"Being tall, it's much more difficult for me to get down low and make the moves and turn and run like the other cornerbacks," Asomugha says.

"What I've had to do is make my strides mentally. Mentally, I can figure things out quickly."

Focus is his edge.

"It takes me one play to figure out receivers from film study," he says. "You have to understand quarterbacks, offenses and what a coach is trying to do."

The detailed notebook he keeps is an homage to Rod Woodson.

"I'm always taking notes on receivers, quarterbacks and the opposing coach," Asomugha says. "I got that from Rod, who was great about inviting me to his house to watch game film. He's like another coach — a tough-love coach.

"I know when I get the call from Rod after a couple of games each season, it's not going to be a great call. When you tell me Rod says, 'I'm the best in the business,' it's hard to believe he said that because he's so hard on me."

Bayless notes another asset Asomugha maximized. "This kid practiced every day against three future Hall of Fame receivers," Bayless says. "He went against Jerry Rice (2003-04). Even though Jerry was at the tail end of his career, Jerry Rice is still Jerry Rice. Nnamdi also practiced against Tim Brown (2003) every day, and then he practiced against Randy Moss (2005-06).

"He practiced against guys who — with what they brought — he arguably didn't come close to facing that in a game.

"He has an opportunity to be a Hall of Famer some day.

"He's special in a lot of ways."

Creating his legacy now

What also separates Asomugha is the offseason entourage he has kept the last three years.

He is a constant presence at the East Oakland Youth Development Center, located in what is notoriously called "The Killer Corridor." Asomugha will pay an estimated $15,000, with some assistance from sponsors, for 10 EOYD high schoolers to visit New York City institutions The Juilliard School, Columbia, New York University and Fordham.

Asomugha has driven the van and played cards and sometimes piano in bonding with the kids on similar placement tours the last two years to Atlanta- and Boston-area colleges.

"Nnamdi is magic walking," EOYD executive director Regina Jackson says. "He's not waiting 20 years to figure out what he'll be known for. He's creating his legacy right now.

"He's gotten 25 of our kids placed in college, kids who wouldn't otherwise have a chance to go to college."

Asomugha got to know the 42nd president during three days spent talking with Clinton at his summit on education.

"I believe I could call him if I needed something," Asomugha says of Clinton. "I felt like I grew on him.

"We talked the whole weekend — football, politics, just random things. He turned out to be an avid NFL fan. He was telling me how I helped him in playing fantasy football."

This offseason has been no fantasy for the Raiders.

The presumed death of Oakland linebacker Marquis Cooper, one of three men lost when Cooper's 21-foot fishing boat capsized in rough Gulf of Mexico waters during a Feb. 28 fishing trip, reaffirmed the frailty of life — and Asomugha's commitment to his off-field passion.

Cooper joined the Raiders in November and made an indelible impression, earning two game balls from coach Tom Cable as a special-teams standout. "It's so hard to speak of it, that we lost Marquis," Asomugha says. "There's no closure there yet for me."

Cooper's boat also carried former Detroit Lions defensive lineman Corey Smith and two former University of South Florida players.

Nick Schuyler was the lone survivor, found two days later clinging to the overturned boat during the three-day search conducted by the Coast Guard.

"In that short period of time Marquis was with us, there's nothing else you can say about him other than how nice a guy he was (and) the work he was doing in the community, and he just got here," Asomugha says. "That's why it was so difficult to hear the news about such a good-hearted person.

"I hope for his family and friends and the team we can get some sort of closure, that we find him."

Asomugha paused, then added, "What happened with Marquis reminds you that nothing is promised and let's take advantage of what we can do while we can."

A philosophy Asomugha consistently practices on and off the football field.

Nnamdi Asomugha is a class act who epitomizes PROFESSIONALISM...damn proud that he'll continue to be an Oakland Raider.

Some praise needs to bestowed upon Mr. Davis...when Nnamdi was selected at the tail end of the 1st round he was considered a reach and the pick was soundly ridiculed.

Guess Mr. Davis still knows a thing-or-two about talent......................:shake:

Fins ship Samson Satele to Oakland Raiders

by Edgar Thompson
DANA POINT, Calif. - Center Samson Satele’s days with the Miami Dolphins are over.
The team has traded Satele, a second-round pick in 2007 who started every game the past two seasons for Miami, to the Oakland Raiders, according to two NFL sources.
No terms of the deal were available. The team recently traded a seventh round pick to Jacksonville for defensive tackle Tony McDaniel, leaving the Dolphins with eight picks during the April 25-26 draft.
Now, the team has nine again.

Beyond the draft picks, Sunday’s move was no surprise, given the team’s decision to sign former Raiders Jake Grove to a five-year, $29 million deal on March 3.
In the rugged AFC East, the Bill Parcells-led regime wanted a center more physical than the 6-foot-3 Satele, who played at around 295 pounds last season and relied on his quickness.
The Dolphins determined the 29-year-old Grove (6-4, 300) is a more physical player, despite some durability issues. He has started 16 games only once (2006) in five NFL seasons.
Twice a season, he Dolphins face two of the NFL’s best nose tackles - New England’s Vince Wilfork and the New York Jets’ Kris Jenkins.
Satele, 24, was the No. 60 selection in the 2007 NFL draft - a pick gotten from New England in the Wes Welker trade.

Fins ship Samson Satele to Oakland Raiders

by Edgar Thompson
DANA POINT, Calif. - Center Samson Satele’s days with the Miami Dolphins are over.
The team has traded Satele, a second-round pick in 2007 who started every game the past two seasons for Miami, to the Oakland Raiders, according to two NFL sources.
No terms of the deal were available. The team recently traded a seventh round pick to Jacksonville for defensive tackle Tony McDaniel, leaving the Dolphins with eight picks during the April 25-26 draft.
Now, the team has nine again.

Beyond the draft picks, Sunday’s move was no surprise, given the team’s decision to sign former Raiders Jake Grove to a five-year, $29 million deal on March 3.
In the rugged AFC East, the Bill Parcells-led regime wanted a center more physical than the 6-foot-3 Satele, who played at around 295 pounds last season and relied on his quickness.
The Dolphins determined the 29-year-old Grove (6-4, 300) is a more physical player, despite some durability issues. He has started 16 games only once (2006) in five NFL seasons.
Twice a season, he Dolphins face two of the NFL’s best nose tackles - New England’s Vince Wilfork and the New York Jets’ Kris Jenkins.
Satele, 24, was the No. 60 selection in the 2007 NFL draft - a pick gotten from New England in the Wes Welker trade.

Have to see what Oakland gave up...but on its face you have to like this move....:tiphat:

We must have assumed Mack would not be there @ #40 (and didn't want to "reach" for any other college C)...so, we lost a 29-year old chronically injured C and picked up a 24-year old C who has started every game in his NFL career.
Satele sounds like the definition of a ZBS C (6'3, 295 and QUICK)...Mr. Davis and Tom Cable certainly seem to be on the same page when it comes to improving the O-line.
IMO, re-signing Carlisle and picking up Pears, Barnes & Satele (inexpensively) all deserve..............:cheers:

O-line remains Job 1 for Cable

Monday, March 23rd, 2009 at 7:39 am in Oakland Raiders.
The Raiders continue to make the protection of JaMarcus Russell their top priority of the offseason.
According to the Miami Herald, the have acquired center Samson Satele from the Miami Dolphins for an undisclosed draft pick.

Aside from the signing of defensive back Jason Horton, who is 50-50 to make the roster at best, the Raiders have concentrated their efforts during free agency to shoring up the offensive line.
Satele would be the third new face to join the offensive line, joining tackles Erik Pears and Khalif Barnes. He was essentially swapped out for Jake Grove, who signed a free agent contract with Miami that will pay him $14 million guaranteed.
The Raiders have brought back right guard Cooper Carlisle and retained restricted free agent center Chris Morris, in addition to restructuring the contract of left guard Robert Gallery.
Satele 6-foot-4, 300 pounds, has started all 32 games for Miami over the past two seasons. The good news is he is only 24 and has two full seasons under his belt as a starter.
A second-round draft pick out of Hawaii (No. 60 overall), Satele was taken with a pick Miami received in dealing receiver Wes Walker to New England. He was the second center selected in the 2008 draft after USC’s Ryan Kalil.
The flip side is Miami looked to Grove to help shore up its line against some of the beefy interior lines of the AFC East.
Given the Raiders’ movement toward youth, Satele would seemingly have an edge over veteran John Wade to be the center, with Morris hoping to stick around another year as a reserve center and guard. Satele can also play guard, but where the Raiders have two established starters in Gallery and Carlisle.
Left to be determined is whether the acquisition means the Raiders are not in play for Cal center Alex Mack, whose Pro Day workout was watched closely by Cable, line coach Jim Michaelczik and line assistant Chris Morgan last week.
Responding to a question about the zone blocking system often utilizing players who were castoffs from other teams and/or lower draft picks, Cable indicated he was still looking at building his line from the outside in.
“You know, there’s a history of that, but I think everybody has tried to make sure you’re good enough at tackle so I think you still address that need,” Cable said.
Oakland’s final three picks in the 2009 draft were in the fourth (No. 104), sixth (No. 168) and seventh (No. 198) rounds. If one of those picks went to Miami for Satele, the Raiders also have choices in the first (No. 7), second (No. 40) and third (No. 71) rounds.

Samson will work well in a Zone Block scheme much better than a man to man like the Dolphins are doing. I really like this move

Haven't been excited about an offseason in awhile and now hearing that they are going to get to stomp the Cowboys on Thanksgiving.

Back