2023 Texas Rangers - Entire Season

Bolstered by a four run eighth inning we go on to win 6-5 completing a three game sweep
Our record stands at 55-39

Perez 86 pitches over his 5.0 innings
gave up 5 hits 3 runs all earned walked 4 struck out 2 gave up 1 HR

Bradford (W 2-1) 3.0 innings gave up 3 hits 2 runs both earned walked none struck out 2 and gave up a HR

W. Smith (S 16) 1 scoreless inning

Semien 1-2 drove in 1
his hit 12th HR a solo shot
Seager 1-3
Lowe 2-4 drove in 2
Garcia 2-4 drove in 1
Jung 1-4 drove in 2
Heim 0-4
Jankowski 1-4
Duran 0-2
Taveras 1-3
Grossman 0-1

struck out 6 times
went 4-6 with RISP and left 4 on base

Nice way to start the second half BUT
we’ve got a HUGE week ahead for us
3 vs Rays
3 vs Dodgers
after those series we head to Houston

Dunning takes the ball tomorrow night…

We rallied from a two run deficit and won the game on a wild pitch
Final score was 3-2 our fourth victory in a row
Our record is now 56-39

Dunning 7.0 innings throwing 96 pitches
gave up 5 hits 2 runs both earned walked 1 struck out 4 and gave up 1 HR

Leclerc 1 scoreless inning

Chapman (W 5-2) 1 scoreless inning he struck out the side and registered a 103 MPH fastball

Semien 1-3
Seager 0-4
Jung 1-4
Josh Smith pinch runner
Garcia 0-4
Lowe 1-4
Garver 0-3
Grossman 2-3
Duran 1-3 drove in 2
he hit his 13th HR a 2 run shot
Taveras 0-3

went 0-5 with RISP and left 3 on base
struck out 10 times

Eovaldi gets the ball tomorrow night…

Our fifth win in a row, final score was 5-3
Upping our record to 57-39

Eovaldi (W 11-3) threw 93 pitches in his 6.0 innings of work
he gave up 2 hits no runs walked 3 struck out 2

Leclerc 0.1 gave up 2 hits 1 run which was earned

G. Anderson 1.2 innings gave up 2 hits 2 runs both earned and gave up 2 HRs

W. Smith (S 17) 1 scoreless inning

Semien 3-4 drove in 1
hit his 13th HR a solo shot

Seager 1-4 drove in 3
hit his 14th HR a 3 run shot

Jankowski 3-4 drove in 1
Lowe 1-4

Garcia 0-3
he’s 0-7 in this series

Duran, Jung & Taveras all went 0-3
Heim 0-4

went 2-6 with RISP and left 7 on base
struck out 13 times that’s 23 times in the first two games

Marcus has woken up since the all star break he’s gone 6-16

Seager since coming off the DL 347/.401/.629 with 13 HRs and 53 RBIs

Gray gets the ball this afternoon to go for the sweep
Day off tomorrow and then the Dodgers 8-2 over this last 10 head to town for a 3 game series

We made it six in a row today
Final score was 5-1 our record is now 58-39
We’ve swept the Indians & Rays during this streak
We outscored the Rays 13-6

Gray was cruising along until one out in the 4th when he was hit on the left shin
X-Rays came back negative
4.1 innings scattered 8 hits no runs walked 1 struck out 4

Burke (W 4-2) 2.0 innings no runs allowed struck out 3

Speas 1.2 no hits struck out 3
he’s a feel good story
was a 2016 second-round Draft selection by the Rangers
he then retired from baseball altogether following the ‘21 season and decided to focus on his mental health and his family
heading into Spring Training this year, he decided to try to give baseball one last shot
this year posted a 1.00 ERA between Double-A Frisco and Triple-A Round Rock in 36 innings
he averaged 14.8 strikeouts per nine innings (59 K’s) while allowing just one home run
I wish him well

Bradford 1.0 gave up 1 hit 1 run which was earned and gave up 1 HR

Semien 0-4
Seager 1-4
Lowe 2-4
Garcia 0-3
Jung 1-4
Heim 2-4 drove in 3
hit his 14th HR a 3 run shot
Jankowski 1-3
Grossman 0-3
Taveras 2-4 drove in 2
hit his 11th HR a solo shot

struck out 7 times
went 2-8 with RISP and left 7 on base

Garcia left the game after taking a 112 mph comebacker from Yandy Díaz off his left leg. He was diagnosed with a bruised left shin when X-rays came back negative

Day off tomorrow then the Dodgers come to town

FRI: Heaney vs Gonsolin
SAT: Dunning vs Miller
SUN: Perez vs Sheehan

am very interested in seeing the series line
I made it as Dodgers -135 Rangers +115

Late inning bullpen woes once again
We were leading 5-4 heading into the 6th
Then the Dodgers outscored us 7-0, final score was 11-5 our record is now 58-40

Heaney 5.0 innings gave up 5 hits 4 runs all of them earned walked 3 struck out 3 and gave up 1 HR

Leclerc 0.2 gave up 2 hits 0 runs

Burke 0.1 no runs

Speas (L 0-1) (BS 1) 0.0 gave up 1 hit 2 runs both earned walked 3

Bradford 1.1 gave up 1 hit 1 run which was earned

G. Anderson 1.1 gave up 4 hits 4 runs all earned

I’m predicting that Anderson gets DFA’d by Monday afternoon

Semien 0-4
Seager 2-3 drove in 1
Lowe 1-2 drove in 2
hit his 11th a 2 run shot
Garcia 1-2
Jung 0-2
Heim 0-3 drove in 1
Jankowski 0-2 drove in 1
Duran & Tavares both 0-3
Garver 0-1

struck out 7
went 0-2 with RISP and left 3 on base

You can’t make mistakes against the Dodgers and our relievers made many
thus the lopsided loss
We need to rebound tomorrow

Dunning gets the ball…

Not much to say about this game
Final score was Dodgers 16 Rangers 3
We’ve been crushed two nights in a row outscored 27-8
Our record is now 58-31

Dunning (L 8-3) 3.0 innings gave up 7 hits 5 runs all earned walked 2 struck out 1 gave up 2 HRs

Otto 2.0 innings gave up 5 hits 5 runs all earned walked 3 struck out 3 and gave up 2 HRs

Y. Rodriguez 2.0 innings gave up 4 hits 3 runs all earned walked none struck out 5

B. Miller 2.0 innings gave up 2 hits 3 runs all earned gave up 1 HR

Semien 1-4 drove in 1
hit his 14th a solo shot

Josh Smith 0-1
Jankowski 1-4
Lowe 2-4 drove in 2
Garcia 0-1
Grossman 0-2
Jung 2-4
Heim 0-3
Miller 0-1
Garver 1-4
Duran 1-3
Taveras 1-4

went 1-6 with RISP and left 7 on base
struck out 7 times

Seager was placed on the DL with a right thumb bruise
he will be gone for minimum two weeks

I stated last night “I’m predicting that Anderson gets DFA’d by Monday afternoon”
he was sent down to AAA

Garcia left the game in the 5th because he was hit on his right knuckles

The Dodgers have shown us that they are miles ahead of us
I hope Bocce, CY & ownership learn from this beat down

I know for a fact the guys are embarrassed and I expect a huge game from them tomorrow and wouldn’t be surprised if there was a brawl in the game

Perez gets the ball to avoid the sweep…

Last edited:
As you know, I ride along this journey with you because of the televised games. I was settling in for a nice afternoon and game went to shit fast.

Yea I’d expect a big effort tonight

Give up four runs in the top of the first
No Seager or Garcia = no problem
We beat the Dodgers 8-4 to avoid the sweep
Our record is now 59-41

Perez (W 8-3) went 6.0 innings throwing 94 pitches gave up 6 hits 4 runs all of them earned walked 2 struck out 6 and gave up 1 HR

Burke, Chapman & W. Smith combined to throw three scoreless innings

Semien 1-5 drove in 1
Jankowski 0-4
Lowe 1-3 drove in 1
Jung 1-4. drove in 1
Heim 1-3 drove in 2
Duran 2-4 drove in 1
Miller 2-3
Taveras 2-4 drove in 2
Josh Smith 0-2
Grossman 0-1

went 5-14 with RISP and left 6 on base
struck out 10 times

This weekend wasn’t a total loss, we are still three games in front of the Assho’s as we head to Houston for a three game series

Mon:
Gray vs Bielak
TBD vs France
Heaney vs Valdez

officially a game two starter hasn’t been announced but unless we trade for someone it will be Bradford…

Bocce Ball totally mismanaged the pitchers last night and it cost us the ballgame
Astros won 10-9 our record is now 59-42

Gray threw 5.0 innings and only 82 pitches
he easily could have completed the 6th inning
gave up 7 hits 6 runs all earned walked 3 struck out 6

Bocce used Leclerc in the 6th for some unknown reason and he pitched 1 scoreless inning

Chapman (BS 3) started the 7th and he sucked, his first game in the spotlight and he showed his true self- GAGGED
gave up 1 hit 3 runs all earned walked 2 struck out 2 and gave up the game tying 3 run HR

Burke 1 scoreless inning

Speas (L 0-2) 0.1 gave up 1 hit 1 run walked 2

If Gray went 6 he then should have used Burke in the 7th, Chapman in the 8th and Leclerc in the 9th
Of course none of the beat writers would ever dare question “King” Bocce
Instead his excuse was “our pen is thin”

Semien 2-5
Jankowski 2-5 drove in 1
Lowe 1-3 drove in 1
Jung 2-5 drove in 2
hit his 20th HR a 2 run shot
Heim 0-4 drove in 1
Duran 1-4
Miller 0-1
Garver 1-2 drove in 1
Taveras 0-3 drove in 1
Josh Smith 1-4 drove in 1
hit his 4th HR a solo shot

Garcia didn’t play he has trouble gripping the bat

struck out 11 times
went 3-9 with RISP and left 8 on base

Bradford most likely will start tonight’s game
Our lead is down to 2 games over the Astros
Tomorrow’s game will be the most important game of our season after the loss last night

Anyone betting tonight I’d say you can unload on Astros TT over…

Two inches and a reversal proved to be the difference in this game
Final score Astros 4 Rangers 3
Our record is now 59-43 and our lead is down to just 1 game

Y. Rodriguez (L 0-1) 2.0 innings gave up 2 hits 2 runs both earned walked 1 struck out 2

Bradford 5.0 innings gave up 6 hits 2 runs both earned walked none struck out 2 and gave up 2 solo HRs
Bradford really pitched well in a tough situation

Howard 1 scoreless inning

Semien & Jankowski both 2-4
Duran & Taveras both 0-4
Lowe 1-3
Garcia 1-4
Jung 0-4
Heim 2-3
Garver 1-3 drove in 2
hit his 5th HR a 2 run shot

0-4 with RISP and left 6 on base
struck out 4 times

Key Plays:
Semien tried to score from first on a double in the ninth, he was called safe but the Astros challenged and the play was overturned

Taveras hit a shot to right field that just missed leaving the park

Mondays loss was the backbreaker, leading 9-6 when Chapman imploded IS the difference
Last nights game was an expected loss but we kept it close and with a break we could have won

Tonight let’s see how we respond
Heaney takes the ball vs Valdez
I fully expect a huge effort from Heaney

We have been in first place for 80 consecutive days

The beat reporters still treating Bocce Ball with kid gloves, even after he really botched the game on Monday
Totally misguided our pitching staff

Off day tomorrow as we head to San Diego after tonight’s game for a weekend series…

Injury bug...ugh. 4 of the 6 All Stars have went to the DL since the All Star Break. Eovaldi may be back by Sept 1. but it wouldn't surprise if he's shut down for the season - has already had 2 Tommy Johns and brass ain't going to chance it especially given deGrom. Yung may be gone for the year after fracturing his thumb yesterday. Heim may be back in two weeks. Seager is still having lingering issues with his thumb after a slide into 2B. I still don't understand the head first dive into the bases...

Bochy is doing such a great job. The team has a 46-game turnaround over the end of '22, which is pretty crazy. Will be interesting to see how Sept plays out.

Last edited:
Pretty resilient team through all the injuries with so much depth. Guys stepping up. The pitching acquisitions set the other starters on fire, all of them stepping up their games. Scherzer has been Scherzer. Heim came back earlier than expected which is a bonus. Eovaldi is progressing and Jung should be back with 10-12 games left in the regular season.

I'm starting to think they may win the damn division.

Pretty resilient team through all the injuries with so much depth. Guys stepping up. The pitching acquisitions set the other starters on fire, all of them stepping up their games. Scherzer has been Scherzer. Heim came back earlier than expected which is a bonus. Eovaldi is progressing and Jung should be back with 10-12 games left in the regular season.

I'm starting to think they may win the damn division.
Scherzer was fun to fade in Queens. Now that he's on a contender, not so much.

Interesting reading about he and Verlander with the Mets, and the rift between the two.

Rotation has done a complete 180. ERA of 5.10 in July. 2.19 in August. Scherzer's been impactful on the mound and in the clubhouse.

Their pen is pretty bad...

kxqvGHN.jpeg

It's exceptionally bad.

23 blown saves in 47 attempts. That shitastic 51% conversion rate is 4th worst in the league. Everyone worse than the Rangers is at least 25 games under .500.

Here's the equation we long suffering Rangers fans use when we have a lead and need to get 9 outs for the W:

1 or 2 run lead = a sure loss, we're numb to it
3, 4 or 5 run lead = a gut punch loss is forthcoming. Which reliever will blow up?
5, 6 or 7 run lead = this one is going to hurt...multiple pen blow-ups will be required to snatch a defeat from the mouth of victory
8 or 9 run lead = if you hold a Texas -1.5 ticket, you can safely light your next cigar with it, but they may hold on for a 1-run win
double-digit lead = we can get our hopes up here, it becomes a fatigue problem for the opponents...they'll probably wear themselves out swinging the sticks and running the bases

Here's the equation we long suffering Rangers fans use when we have a lead and need to get 9 outs for the W:

1 or 2 run lead = a sure loss, we're numb to it
3, 4 or 5 run lead = a gut punch loss is forthcoming. Which reliever will blow up?
5, 6 or 7 run lead = this one is going to hurt...multiple pen blow-ups will be required to snatch a defeat from the mouth of victory
8 or 9 run lead = if you hold a Texas -1.5 ticket, you can safely light your next cigar with it, but they may hold on for a 1-run win
double-digit lead = we can get our hopes up here, it becomes a fatigue problem for the opponents...they'll probably wear themselves out swinging the sticks and running the bases
Mate this is Dbacks squared

I mean pulling Pladdt when he gave up his third hit in the 6th Friday night just to win 10-8 says a lot

Historically garbage pen. More adds to the installment plan of misery:
- 5 blown saves in the last 6 games including 2 yesterday
- For the season, 25 blown saves in 49 attempts, I assume that keeps them climbing to the top of that pathetic category vs. the other 3 contenders that are each 25+ games below .500;
- Chapman has blown 5 of his last 8 save attempts (no more staredowns, please, until you get one save behind your back)

Historically garbage pen. More adds to the installment plan of misery:
- 5 blown saves in the last 6 games including 2 yesterday
- For the season, 25 blown saves in 49 attempts, I assume that keeps them climbing to the top of that pathetic category vs. the other 3 contenders that are each 25+ games below .500;
- Chapman has blown 5 of his last 8 save attempts (no more staredowns, please, until you get one save behind your back)
Kinda ironic the Rangers and Snakes were considered "natural rivals" for interleague play eh? Same teams really over the course of the years I've paid attention.

I had an ominous feeling back in August when the Brew Crew came to Arlington and swept us, but I held out hope.

Now I'll probably be betting on the A's for the series win this weekend.

Disarray.

Yeah, that Milwaukee series was telling.

I think they're cooked. Starting arms look done, there is no bullpen and the bats are drying up.

I was at the game on Monday and it felt like a home game for Houston.

Yes indeed, we're back on the horse.

I'm not ready to talk division win, simply due to the remaining schedules.

Texas series: @ Cle, Bos, Sea, @ Ana, @ Sea

Houston series: @ KC, Balt, KC, @ Sea @ Ari

...but the wildcard race is going to be fun.

I'm just happy to be watching meaningful September Rangers baseball.

I'm hearing Scherzer out for the rest of the regular season and unlikely to pitch in the playoffs. Injuries have been brutal to this team.

Converting 3 of its last 16 save opportunities is even more brutal.

What a roller coaster season.
I was debating putting on the emotional hedge in the "Make Playoffs" market...the "No" was +400 after the 4-game sweep of the much maligned Blue Jays.
It now sits at +155 after that debacle last night.

One of my outs had the Rangers +335 to win the AL West yesterday, so I grabbed it.
Hopefully the Royals continue to show some spunk this weekend.

Just brutal last night. Brutal. Chance to reduce the division magic # to 1.

That schizo, wife beater Chapman just all over the place, again.

Last edited:
I shook my head last night when champagne flowed in the clubhouse, with the really big prize out in front today. Did that matter today when the bats went completely silent? I don't know. Bochy is a lot smarter than me but I don't know why they did that last night.

Could of and should have been a much bigger celebration this afternoon. Now they're headed to Tampa w/o any rest and w/o any home game and what will likely be a playoff exit.

Never been a fan of a team that's been more of a roller coaster. Streakiest ever. For two weeks, how is anyone going to beat them? For another two, when will they win? Lining up a victory parade one week, left for dead another.

First team in MLB history to sweep two teams who had a combined 200 wins during the regular season. And with one of the worse bullpens in MLB history. But now, true to form, the pitching is becoming a cornerstone. Most importantly, the team is now healthy and the offense is lethal.

I don't know where things are going from here but it's been quite a ride. More to come I'm guessing.

Away we go @BringInTheLefty

I'm going on record that we're going to sneak in to a wild card spot. I reserve the right to alter my opinion in June when our injured reserve list is as long as my arm, but for now, Jared & Matt on the call and the air is full of hope. Maybe a hot start will help Eric Nadel battle his demons.
Enjoy the season buddy.
I wish @BringInTheLefty was around here to enjoy the ride.

If he's still on this side of the grass, I hope he was at the park last night.

Welp, it's on. Not sure I feel real confident about things. I was at two of the three massacres over Labor Day in Arlington where the Astros outscored the Rangers 39-10, and the crowd was literally split half and half. Astros owned the regular season, 9-4 I think.

But if the last 10 days or so have told us anything it's that the postseason is a new season. I'm happy with the hot team. Wish they were playing tomorrow.

Haven't heard anything about Scherzer's simulated game that he threw yesterday. Anything he (or Gray) can provide will be very unexpected help on the mound.

Welp, it's on. Not sure I feel real confident about things. I was at two of the three massacres over Labor Day in Arlington where the Astros outscored the Rangers 39-10, and the crowd was literally split half and half. Astros owned the regular season, 9-4 I think.

But if the last 10 days or so have told us anything it's that the postseason is a new season. I'm happy with the hot team. Wish they were playing tomorrow.

Haven't heard anything about Scherzer's simulated game that he threw yesterday. Anything he (or Gray) can provide will be very unexpected help on the mound.

This could be a super interesting series but ya’ll def gonna have to find someone other than Eovaldi and Montgomery to give ya quality innings! I dunno if Eovaldi can get rode the way bochey once road madbum pitching him damn near every day it seemed! Lol. I think madbum was a lot younger and it def shortened his career!

Bring on the Phillies.

I faintly recall beating them in the early spring and the bats are ready for a few 13-10 type games.

It'll be a white knuckle affair to see Chapman pitch to Harper, Schwarber and Stott.

Back