2016 Tennis Season - Discussion Thread

They need a roof in Paris my god

No roof; no hawkeye; the last Europeans to submit to taking baths...

The French need to realise they aint a second- or third-world country ffs (even though the Muslim ghettos in Paris make it look as though it is).

would love your thoughts on Venus/Timea and Bertens/Keys if you have time. Lean on Timea over Venus but no feel for the other match.

KiKi played out of her mind vs daria.... and daria got hurt end of match and couldnt serve or she would have one imo.... think keys gets it done she has been playing well..... like timea as well....... took murray/goffin tomorrow.... think joker rolls stan n thiem win as well..... ferrer/birdshit is a complete toss up gun to head prob take birdshit but conditions may favor ferrer as birdman wont be able to hit thru em........was thinking svitolina plus the handicap but tough to go against serena ever cuz she can crush on any given day and svit 2nd serve isnt much to be desired but conditions will be heavy n she has ground game to hang

have my thoughts posted in a couple of hours, but my leans as of now:

Timea 2-1: love the odds for this, but it's obv. predicated on Venus showing up, which nothing about her efforts so far says she isn't interested in just collecting a paycheck. Timea obv. hammers if Venus decides she's done enough.

Keys/Bertens: a 3 setter = Over is what I'm liking here.

Serena/Shitolina: Under - Shitolina should be too soft to make any dents in Serena's game. If Serena is in any way troubled in putting the Ukrainian away, that'll be the signal to me to back Muguruza to win it all.

S-Navarro/Putintseva: S-N should be too much on clay for her overachieving opponent, but I'll leave it. Favouring the Spaniard means the only decent odds are with the total and though I'd like to take the Under, I don't trust S-N not to lose a set. Pass.

Stosur proves to be the one who the interruption serves most in her match: a 7-6 1st set win (winning 4 of 5 games played)

Pironkova must've gotten a bit of desire to compete break with the layoff, now won 4 straight games upon resumption to lead 4-3 in the 2nd and is serving for a 5-3 lead.

like Berdych+8: berdych won in Str8 sets. djokovic lost one vs agut. last time they played each other on clay , berdych took one set. think djoker win in 4 sets or 3 tights sets.

djokovic by 6 to 7 games i think so grab+8. watched gasquet vs murray. murray won just because of gasquet physical collapse after 2 sets. I don't understand how book open murray fav vs wawrinka. if stan plays at his best , no way murray win even if he made some progress on clay. he already spent lot of time on the court. twice 5 sets in a row in first two rounds for murray. Huge lack of respect for grand slam holder title

Lean Timea and already laid -265 on *Serena -1.5 sets. She rolls IMO.

Fed has played Berdych 2x on clay. 1-1 overall record and Berdych did take it to 3 sets in his loss, so perhaps a +2.5 sets play is in order. Currently odds are +120 on that. probably what I'll end up doing.

Gut tells me Thiem wins but Goffin has a really good H2H record vs. Thiem.

Last edited:
yes, sorry - that's what I meant.

Why does Timea line look too easy? She's 1-0 H2H but Bertens playing well too. Certainly not a gimme.

Muguruza rolling.

Bertens lost a tiebreaker first up, but just broke Serena to go 2-0 up in the 2nd. her entire match now rests on consolidating that break and going up 3-0. Usually chicks in her position will get broken back immediately.

Mugu wins and cashes the straight-sets bet.

Bertens has done enough to cash the Over, and is well on her way to cashing the +5.5 spread. The only way the +5.5 can't cash from here is if she wins the 2nd in a tiebreaker then loses the 3rd 6-0: all but impossible.

Nothing in-depth. Who expects Murray to prevail?

Murray's dropped 1 set in his last 3 matches against players ranked 28, 17 & 12. Stan's dropped 1 set to players ranked 32, 24 & 55. Both have needed a 7th game to win 3 of their 9 sets won.

Seems pretty even to me. That Murray won in Rome over the Joker in his lead-up while Stan has the cushier Geneva lead-up, is an interesting side-light. Does the harder pre-FO workload hurt or help Murray?

Surely everyone likes Stan at plus odds, and just as surely that must spell trouble.

To be honest the men's side of things has bored me at this FO, and when I'm bored I don't have a feel for things. Gonna wait on the final, I'll get into that. Joker's first French or Murray's? That would be a battle worth watching.

i think murray was fortunate to catch joker at a rough schedule spot.... but he won nonetheless... the recent dominance of Stan over muzzard yet still a small Underdog here in this match speaks volumes to me and the fact everyone on Stanimal like u said..... if stan is goin to win it has to be quick... i took murray cuz i think in the end he will be more consistent then Stan and he showed me a lot Vs Gascan... Stan hasnt really been tested yet and sometimes succumbs to the pressure while murray is used to it...... if stan gets down early does he fight or go quickly in the shadows...... always tough to gaudge his mental toughness.... looking muzzard to win in 4

yes that would be great to watch although i think Novak would rather see a familiar opponent in murray hes dominated rather then Stan who can hit em off the court and is the ultimate wildcard either way i do expect a Great Final for both mens/women.......also took joker -6.5 games..... thiem had trouble hitting thru Goffin yesterday... well it doesnt get any easier today

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we saw anything like the Joker's best at Rome.

Taking a longer view, I think Murray not making the final and the Joker winning his first FO would go a very long way to setting Murray up perfectly for Wimbledon. Nole would enter Wimbledon having won 4 straight Slams, bloody hard to win 5 straight: Roger never won 4 straight, let alone 5. Nadal either.

MUST BE SOME real concern for Serena injury opens -165 tom.... she was -250 to win the french before today matches and with Garbine a decent fav in her semi match they had to factor that she most likely be playing her in the final... u dont really see odds drop on a fav to win the title from semi to final usually creeps up a tiny amt........ the fact that it dropped that much has to be her performance the last 2 matches and how well like obv garbine looked.... but i think it has to do with Serena..... and with her u just never know.. when she struggles u go against her next match and shes a totally diff player and smashes..... garbine does present a ton of problems and clay is arguable her worst surface (serena).. as BC says better waiting to see how she comes out first 2-4 games and go LIVE..... but tough to ever count her out and u never see those odds on her anymore

.<iframe src="http://players.brightcove.net/2540076170001/4kfqgmETl_default/index.html?videoId=4909044817001" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0"></iframe>

No roof; no hawkeye; the last Europeans to submit to taking baths...

The French need to realise they aint a second- or third-world country ffs (even though the Muslim ghettos in Paris make it look as though it is).

Amen brother.

seeing murray taking at least one set vs djoker. but scared even if there are 4 sets , the over 39 games is tempting but can easily miss. you could have a 7-6 4-6 and then a 6-1 6-2 physical collapse from murray vs djoko that is never tired

As far as the men's final goes, Murray I give no shot unless he wins the 1st set. He does that then I believe Nole won't win in anything less than 5 (& if Murray is to win after grabbing the 1st, he'll have to do it in 4 since, as fit as he is, I can't see him outlasting Nole on clay). If Murray loses the 1st, it'll be Nole 3-0 or, more likely (since I believe Andy's playing well enough to at least win a set here) 3-1. No rocket science from me on this one.

I just wonder how the reality of Nole wanting this one so much affects matters. Don't really sense that Andy is as desperate to win this as much as Nole is, unlike he was re Wimbledon. Also, Nole is looking to win a 4th straight Slam, that's not easily done (but obv. easier to do so across different years than in the same year).

Sun has been out earlier in Paris and it's a bit warmer than in previous days, but the weather is apparently starting to close in and the wind is picking up.

Muguruza had a good practice, receiving a lot of technical advice from her coach regarding her backhand.

Serena looked like garbage (summarizing). Moved slowly, served at half pace, left the court leaving others to gather her stuff.

The last time serena did that she came out firing i believe.. When her practice was awful n walked off court

BS already flowing out of Chris Evert's mouth

Serena can always [emphasis hers] count on her serve when she needs to hold

If that's the case, how has she ever lost a match?:rofl:

Back