2016 NBA Playoffs: First Round Discussion

If you called it on the Meat to end the 1st quarter, you call that on Charlotte.

It is what it is.

Hornets just broke a 5 season drought for teams with losing road records to win a road playoff game off back to back home wins.

Overall the trend was 6-15 ATS (3-18 SU) since 2002. Last win back in 2009.

Stick a fork in the Meat, Cavs path just got easier.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some road friendly refs in game 6 in Charlotte. I'll be on the hornets regardless.

Only one game tomorrow. I think they should do like yest and let the pacers game play too regardless of an early start for either game. This first round is way too long.

Their coach played Howard till the end lol. That's a slap in the face saying you aren't worthy of being a real starter. He probably knows he's gone. Which team will he play for next year? Does anybody want him?

I pray every season nobody takes him. The most overpaid, underachieving player in the league with zero desire to be the best at his craft. No matter where he goes its the same shit. Gets his pay checks to pay child support to his 5 baby mamas.

Their coach played Howard till the end lol. That's a slap in the face saying you aren't worthy of being a real starter. He probably knows he's gone. Which team will he play for next year? Does anybody want him?

Absolutely LOVED that....

The refs really botched the end of that CHAR/MIA game. Wade goaltend not called. Then the refs swallow the whistle when Wade gets fouled (because they knew they fucked up previously on the goaltend). Not sure who the crew was, but will certainly receive negative grades from Silver.

I do think Heat deserved to lose last night. Their 3pt Defense at the end of that game was atrocious, they missed grabbing a key d-board, and the Deng possession when the ball inexplicable slipped out of his hands was poor. Still, the foul on Wade needed to be called.

I also saw a few possessions at the end where Josh Richardson had the ball in his hands at the end of shot clock. Not sure why these NBA coaches refuse to run actual offensive sets at the end of games. Instead, they just spread the floor and iso for the PG up top. Wade had a few iso's where he simply couldn't break down his defender. This led to confusion at the end of the shot clock. The Heat's offense in final 3min was very poor. Coach needs to take some blame though.

Sorry Celtics fans.

Three road-friendly ATS refs in tonight's Hawks (-2) at Celtics game:

Scott Foster 346-279
Tony Brothers 324-262
James Williams 174-166

I also saw a few possessions at the end where Josh Richardson had the ball in his hands at the end of shot clock. Not sure why these NBA coaches refuse to run actual offensive sets at the end of games. Instead, they just spread the floor and iso for the PG up top. Wade had a few iso's where he simply couldn't break down his defender. This led to confusion at the end of the shot clock. The Heat's offense in final 3min was very poor. Coach needs to take some blame though.

The coach can preach all he wants in the huddles. Those "play not to lose" situations are all on the players IMO. That's what rookies resort to. They don't understand yet how much time is actually in an NBA game when there's 2 minutes left.

Charlotte deserved that win with how the shot the ball.

I pray every season nobody takes him. The most overpaid, underachieving player in the league with zero desire to be the best at his craft. No matter where he goes its the same shit. Gets his pay checks to pay child support to his 5 baby mamas.

agree!

been saying it since he was leaving the Lakers. Dont bring that pussy to the Rockets. Ah well, I dont support them anyways.

ChJnZ9pUoAAAJfS.jpg

Hawks did win two game six closeouts on the road last year in rounds one and two. That was the extent of my handicapping, and since it wasn't what I wanted to find, I'm going to ignore it and go with the pussy angle.

C's need Crowder to have a big game if they're a chance, dude hasn't looked good all series.

ATLANTA — Prior to twisting his left ankle in the fourth quarter last night, Isaiah Thomas was effectively taken out of the offensive flow by a trapping scheme designed specifically for him.
And after watching the last 10 minutes of the Celtics’ 110-83 loss to Atlanta from the trainer’s room, the point guard made a plea to his teammates for better support.
Otherwise, this series may be over, with the Celtics trailing 3-2 on the eve of Game 6 tomorrow night in the Garden.
“It should be a sign of disrespect to my teammates for (Atlanta) to put two on the ball every time I have it,” he said. “Other guys have to step up and make plays, that’s what it comes down to. If they try to do it again in Game 6, it comes down to other guys making plays. I’m gonna just try to get the ball out as quickly as possible, out of the trap, out of the two or three guys they have on me. But other guys have to make shots, other guys have to make plays for us to win.”
Instead, Thomas also suffered through his worst game of the series, with seven points on 3-for-12 shooting, including a scoreless first half.
Meanwhile, no amount of flying around — that’s Kent Bazemore’s description of how the Celtics play defense — was going to help them. Faced with a return to the site of their Game 1 and Game 2 troubles, the Celtics were mowed down in their worst loss of this first-round playoff series.
The Hawks destroyed them with balance, featuring 17 points off the bench from Mike Scott and a 14-for-36 bombardment from 3-point range. The Celtics, bone cold in the same department, shot 24 percent (7-for-29) from downtown.
The Celtics have shot under 40 percent in all three playoff games in Atlanta, where the Hawks clearly feel more comfortable. But last night, despite a claim by Paul Millsap that the team had never practiced it, the Hawks successfully waylaid Thomas with a night-long trap in pick-and-roll situations.
“Isaiah did a really good job of getting rid of the ball,” said Brad Stevens. “That’s what you have to do when you get trapped. But they were more physical, more aggressive, just better.”
“It’s tough for me because I feel like I can score on anything,” Thomas said. “As a point guard, I gotta make the right play. And I gotta trust my teammates. And I know once my teammates are knocking down the shots or make the right play out of the double-team, it’s going to open up for me throughout the game. (Last night) it didn’t happen, but we knew they would make adjustments, now we have to make adjustments and other guys have to step up.
“The first pass is (to) the guy makes the play, whether he has the shot or there’s a 3-on-2 on the back side,” Thomas added. “You just have to make the right play out of those opportunities and you gotta be aggressive out of it. Or they will just continue to do it. And, myself, I gotta figure out ways to beat it. And I will. I’ll be ready for Game 6.”
The Celtics opened the fourth on wobbly legs. They had been decimated by two brutal Hawks runs — a 28-6 third quarter burst that featured 10 straight makes and 11 straight scoring possessions, and a 20-2 run late in the third that included four 3-pointers.
Thus the 27-point hole (89-62) that greeted them at the start of the fourth. Both coaches started to go deep into their benches not long after the start of the quarter. The Celtics were haunted by the sight of open Hawks along the 3-point arc.
“It wasn’t about the start (last night), but they still had their runs,” said Stevens. “Offensively we were getting the right looks in the first 18 minutes but couldn’t get anything to go down. Our defense was probably as good as we’ve played in those first 16-to-18 minutes. After that, I thought we were not nearly as good. Offensively we were much more stagnant, and defensively we were just way off bodies and way off the ball. Once they get like that and hit a few shots, they steamrolled us.”

she needs to shut the fuk up! Hate when these 'wifes" of these players have something to say! No way can any player whos wife has something to say about it enjoy it, besides Tom Brady.

Lol. She's quite vocal at the games. She can say whatever she wants and can't get in trouble. See nothing wrong with it. She makes very valid points and most agree with everything she said.

I didn't see it, was she upset about the no call against Wade for goaltending after slapping the backboard? Can only assume she was if she's so vocal

Back