***2014 Football World Cup*** Discussion Thread

There is literally almost no chance it would happen. Only way it happens is if some maniac does it running into a crowd. To think there's gonna be a hit put on is pretty much ridiculous. It's not even worth talking about. I'm pissed I'm even making this post... Let's move on

Why do Canadians hate the United States

Will Saurez rape England?

there is no hate, the question is why do you even bring this up?
there's always going to be banter, just like there is banter between NZ/Australia, Mexico/US, Brasil/Argentina

its not even going straight to the top

there are going to be 14-16 Brazillians who play at the WC

if you want to go straight to the bottom it's someone like Hulk, Fernandinho, Gustavo etc.

still world famous players

its not even going straight to the top

there are going to be 14-16 Brazillians who play at the WC

if you want to go straight to the bottom it's someone like Hulk, Fernandinho, Gustavo etc.

still world famous players
Yeah,Like superstars..Anderson and that bloke who plays(ed) @ Liverpool,wtf has happend to him anyway.

:rofl: to think poor GW wanted WC discussion,its just not that simple with us :)

Fair enough to all of ya. Not much else to state. Moving along .... Will the USA at least get a draw out of their three matches? Will Germany hoist the Cup? What kind of impact can Belgium make with no Benteke? Will we have an all SA Final? Will the Brazilian country be ready in time for the WC...

Was confused. Didn't realize he was Brazilian. Guy looks like he would do fine in Eastern Europe

Fair enough to all of ya. Not much else to state. Moving along .... Will the USA at least get a draw out of their three matches? Will Germany hoist the Cup? What kind of impact can Belgium make with no Benteke? Will we have an all SA Final? Will the Brazilian country be ready in time for the WC...

USNT will want a win vs Ghana, don't think they will beat Germany even if they played balls to the walls. Portugal...ummm unless Ronaldo gets injured they won't beat them either. Ghana can be very erratic, very physical team. It will be a grind I think a low scoring affair.
I won't be surprised if Brasil will be like Sochi, lots of fuck ups in hotels ha.
Like teed stated earlier, the loss of Benteke will be huge as the tournament progresses. Belgium are stacked in the midfield but they really do not have anything special outside Lukaku and Benteke.
Very good chance to see SA final, Argentina/Brasil final would be pretty nuts.

"Who is doing the criticising?" wondered Luiz Felipe Scolari at an event in Sao Paulo last week. "Some people in other countries have an interest in this. If you Brazilians watch them play, you'll see that they are important for their teams - they're just not important for the journalists in the cities where they are playing."
According to this view, criticism of Barcelona striker Neymar, 22, and Tottenham midfielder Paulinho, 25, has little to do with the pair not living up to expectations at their new club sides. Instead, it is all part of an attempt to destabilise Brazil's World Cup build-up.

so it will likely be

Cesar
Alves/Silva/Luiz/Marcelo
Paulinho/Fernandinho/Oscar
Hulk/Fred/Neymar

Gustavo could also get in MF in place of Fernandinho, Willian could slot in for Oscar
Dante would be first backup at CB

"Who is doing the criticising?" wondered Luiz Felipe Scolari at an event in Sao Paulo last week. "Some people in other countries have an interest in this. If you Brazilians watch them play, you'll see that they are important for their teams - they're just not important for the journalists in the cities where they are playing."
According to this view, criticism of Barcelona striker Neymar, 22, and Tottenham midfielder Paulinho, 25, has little to do with the pair not living up to expectations at their new club sides. Instead, it is all part of an attempt to destabilise Brazil's World Cup build-up.
What are you all debating as far as this goes? The men who make the team or if they will get murdered?

so it will likely be

Cesar
Alves/Silva/Luiz/Marcelo
Paulinho/Fernandinho/Oscar
Hulk/Fred/Neymar

Gustavo could also get in MF in place of Fernandinho, Willian could slot in for Oscar
Dante would be first backup at CB

thats pretty insane

shame that Moura will probably not get in as I really like him

The Brazil winger insists that has no intention of leaving les Parisiens any time soon and is also desperate to make the Selecao squad for this summer's World Cup
Lucas Moura has revealed his desire to stay at Paris Saint-Germain and is hopeful that he can also force his way into the Brazil World Cup squad.

The 21-year-old forward has played 57 times and scored three goals for les Rouge-et-Bleu since joining the club from Sao Paulo in August 2012 for a reported €40 million.

However, despite struggling to secure a regular place in Laurent Blanc's side, Moura stressed that he is extremely happy in Paris and focused only on being a success at the club and working towards a place in the Brazil national set-up.

"Life in Paris is superb – this is a wonderful city," the youngster told French football programme Telefoot.

"Of course I miss Brazil, but I've adapted well. I have improved these last few months and I'm really satisfied about my progress. I'm more at ease now, more able to help my team. I'm very happy."

"I don’t want to go back to Brazil. I want to make history here in Paris."

The Brazilian has already secured Ligue 1 and Trophee des Champions winners medals since arriving in France but is determined to add to his current haul and also earn more than the 31 Selecao caps he has so far.

"I'm only 21-years-old and I want to win trophies," he continued.

"I have still a lot to experience here and I want to stay. I will fight until the end.

"I'll do everything I can to reach the World Cup and be on the list."

PSG currently top Ligue 1 with 76 points from 31 games, leading second-placed Monaco by 13.

I think Bernard would be in front of him too

he's an awesome player, I hope he moves this summer but I doubt he makes the team

I was thinking about starting a thread for each group. I think it would be easier to find the info you need. Something similar to what we do for the NCAA tourney..

Wouldn't need to sticky them at this time as there isn't much content in here right now

Yeah u-21 Uefa,,,hard to replace xavi and intesta for sure

What do you think about Italy?

from my untrained eye they have an awesome goalie and a free-kick artist plus the scariest goalscorer in the game yet fly under the radar, I wanted to play them throughout the Euro and didn't then proceeded to kick myself

Some of you know where I work.. Im finishing at the start of July..So I`ll still be able to get the racing post World Cup edition to you free of charge(like last time),I know how much you enjoy reading that as it just focuses on betting.... when I find out the date its gonna be issued I`ll post up and anyone who wants one sending lemme know :cheers:

oh,and anyone who didnt get one or wasnt here last time is welcome too :)

um fuck yes, i didn't get one last time but anything to help me is more than appreciated (i figure i'm getting one anyways now that i've made you feel so good with the cards compliment)

Just a note on the travel issue.I wasnt aware of this but was just listening to a Rio based British football correspondent.
It is certainly worth more consideration than 1st thought.

A team has a base camp,Englands is Rio.... when they play any game they must return to their base camp.So England fly to Manaus then back to Rio,the same to their other 2 final venues,the squads must return to their "home"
The guy on Tv said Englands wasnt bad but Italy had made a fuck up of choosing their base camp,and the travel logistics for their schedule is bad.

USA has fucked up too. They are based in São Paulo which in the south , all there games are in the northern part of the country

USA has fucked up too. They are based in São Paulo which in the south , all there games are in the northern part of the country
Al,I havent looked close yet mate,I was completely unaware that the team had to go back to their base after every game.This could throw up some betting oppos in 3rd games where teams have little to play for.

USNT will want a win vs Ghana, don't think they will beat Germany even if they played balls to the walls. Portugal...ummm unless Ronaldo gets injured they won't beat them either. Ghana can be very erratic, very physical team. It will be a grind I think a low scoring affair.
I won't be surprised if Brasil will be like Sochi, lots of fuck ups in hotels ha.
Like teed stated earlier, the loss of Benteke will be huge as the tournament progresses. Belgium are stacked in the midfield but they really do not have anything special outside Lukaku and Benteke.
Very good chance to see SA final, Argentina/Brasil final would be pretty nuts.

so are we thinking the physical Ghana team will leave some lasting effects on the US with 5 days between that game and Portugal? I see Natal averages 85F vs Manaus 89F in mid-June, but Manaus humidity is 99% while Natal sits 97% so those don't seem too different

...i can't imagine the price of an Argentina-Brazil final, nor the amounts of arrests for fighting

I was thinking about starting a thread for each group. I think it would be easier to find the info you need. Something similar to what we do for the NCAA tourney..

Wouldn't need to sticky them at this time as there isn't much content in here right now

please do, we can keep this one for conspiracy theories and my general rambling questions

so are we thinking the physical Ghana team will leave some lasting effects on the US with 5 days between that game and Portugal? I see Natal averages 85F vs Manaus 89F in mid-June, but Manaus humidity is 99% while Natal sits 97% so those don't seem too different

...i can't imagine the price of an Argentina-Brazil final, nor the amounts of arrests for fighting

Rain will come into play G, Manaus is rain galore during this time of year.
I think the US and Ghana will be an auto-fade next game, this is going to be a battle in the park. Pros on the US side, keep things tidy, cons lack of creativity. Pros on Ghana, very physical, cons...very physical. The African teams usually play themselves out of the pitch because they become too physical, that's why if they played a team such as Spain or Argentina they will be headless chickens chasing the ball. Against the US though they have a chance because the US don't possess the ball for a long period of time. There will be a ton of hard nose tackling here as oppose to wonderful skill.
whomever is up 1-0 will sit back and counter because neither team has the killer instinct.

I think the US and Ghana will be an auto-fade next game, this is going to be a battle in the park. Pros on the US side, keep things tidy, cons lack of creativity. Pros on Ghana, very physical, cons...very physical. The African teams usually play themselves out of the pitch because they become too physical, that's why if they played a team such as Spain or Argentina they will be headless chickens chasing the ball. Against the US though they have a chance because the US don't possess the ball for a long period of time. There will be a ton of hard nose tackling here as oppose to wonderful skill.
whomever is up 1-0 will sit back and counter because neither team has the killer instinct.

i agree with what you're saying from listening to commentary in the past (maybe me not knowing a ton about the sport makes me respect the words of the commentators unlike the other sports I watch), specifically with Ghana being talented but not a good team from South Africa in 2010. I guess a parallel I'd use is Washington in NCAAB where they have great players, but the team is far worse when you put them together

Is it fair to say that where Asian teams like Korea/Japan lack the athletes they make up for it with their extreme discipline, which makes them very attractive dogs (i remember SK playing Uruguay really tough in 2010)?

i agree with what you're saying from listening to commentary in the past (maybe me not knowing a ton about the sport makes me respect the words of the commentators unlike the other sports I watch), specifically with Ghana being talented but not a good team from South Africa in 2010. I guess a parallel I'd use is Washington in NCAAB where they have great players, but the team is far worse when you put them together

Is it fair to say that where Asian teams like Korea/Japan lack the athletes they make up for it with their extreme discipline, which makes them very attractive dogs (i remember SK playing Uruguay really tough in 2010)?

South Korea are the more physically established Asian teams, Japanese have no height so they work on pace and skill. I think Japan can beat IC and South Korea will handle Algeria quite easily, I would even put South Korea ML as my top unit play vs Algerians.
For some reason African teams cannot win against Asian teams in WC, take a look at all the way to 2002 only 1 African team has collected 3pts vs an Asian qualifer that was 1-0 Cameroon vs Saudi Arabia!

i guess i'll bite on this, brains vs braun

i guess i'll bite on this, brains vs braun

and in this climate these Braun will lose.
some people really over look weather, but in outdoor sports you never know. As you are well aware you take weather as another factor for o/u in baseball and so do the books!

didnt read this thread completely so maybe someone mentioned it but you'll likely hear the following 1,000+ times during the broadcasts: "a European team has never won a World Cup in South America (or Western Hemisphere).

This is the exact reason why I WILL be betting European and/or African teams in this tournament.

South America hasn't hosted since '78 when you practically had to take a boat to get there. I know Mexico & US hosted but don't let people fool you with this. Technology & money has made pre-tournament travel issues non-existent. Yes, Brazil has an advantage. Chile (who normally plays at extremely altitude) does not have any location advantage over France if you ask me. Argentina is getting low odds for this reason only. They haven't produce in a major tournament for years. I'd rather play Germany. See you in 2 months.

didnt read this thread completely so maybe someone mentioned it but you'll likely hear the following 1,000+ times during the broadcasts: "a European team has never won a World Cup in South America (or Western Hemisphere).

This is the exact reason why I WILL be betting European and/or African teams in this tournament.

South America hasn't hosted since '78 when you practically had to take a boat to get there. I know Mexico & US hosted but don't let people fool you with this. Technology & money has made pre-tournament travel issues non-existent. Yes, Brazil has an advantage. Chile (who normally plays at extremely altitude) does not have any location advantage over France if you ask me. Argentina is getting low odds for this reason only. They haven't produce in a major tournament for years. I'd rather play Germany. See you in 2 months.

ballzy approach and i can't disagree with fading the masses. I'm just not sure if they'll take the homeland stuff as much to heart as the talent on the European sides

ya I posted it earlier but them 'not winning' overlooks the fact that every WC final outside 2 has had at least 1 European team

in the last 50 years of tournaments outside Europe

South Africa 2010 (Spain v Dutch)
Japan 2002 (Germany in final)
US 1994 (Italy in final)
Mexico 86 (Germany in final)
Argentina 78 (Dutch in final)
Mexico 70 (Italy in final)

Back