***2014 Football World Cup*** Discussion Thread

Damn Braves your killing me lol

Anyone out there interested I will take Brazil and Argentina and you have the rest of the field even money let me know or...

I will take Brazil +200 which is a solid discount to the +280 to +320 they are at most books.

Christ I want to read that Braves but it's a lot of words. Hopefully in the morning.

would just like to point out something very strange on 5dimes, and this goes for all teams you are thinking of betting to win the World Cup. So just to use the team I selected, Germany. If you go to futures and select them, you will get +670 right now, if you go to regular International Soccer betting, you have the option of choosing Germany or the field, and Germany is only +595.

One of my friends took the Dutch to win it all at +3025, but if you go to the Future screen you can get +4200

thats a huge difference

BpukkpuCEAAJLak.jpg

Nishimura to referee the opening match of Brazil 2014

10 Jun 2014
FIFA.com
Japan’s Yuichi Nishimura has been assigned as the referee for the opening match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup™ between Brazil and Croatia on Thursday 12 June. He will be assisted by compatriots Toru Sagara and Toshiyuki Nagi, with Alireza Faghani of Iran designated as the fourth official.

Referee designations have been made for the first four matches of the World Cup and are available via accessing the PDF associated with this article.

Nishimura, 42, is set to become the third Japanese referee to have officiated at two World Cup finals after Shizuo Takada (1986 and 1990) and Toru Kamikawa (2002 and 2006). At South Africa 2010 he handled four matches, including the quarter-final encounter between the Netherlands and Brazil.

Since making his international refereeing debut in 2004, Nishimura has been assigned to numerous other finals tournaments: the FIFA U-17 World Cup 2007 (including the final between Spain and Nigeria), the FIFA U-20 World Cup 2009, the FIFA Club World Cup 2010 (including the final between TP Mazembe and Internazionale), the Olympic Football Tournament 2012 and two editions of the Asian Cup in 2007 and 2011. In addition, Nishimura was selected for the finals of the CAF Africa Cup of Nations 2008.

In 2012 Yuichi Nishimura was named AFC Men’s Referee of the Year.

Looks like he did Uruguay/France in 2010red carded a player. Also did Brazil Netherlands qf handed out another red card. Seems to have good experience

Looks like he did Uruguay/France in 2010red carded a player. Also did Brazil Netherlands qf handed out another red card. Seems to have good experience

that seems like a high number of reds? can you tell if they're straight reds? I would think yellows are handed out pretty often and two yellows happen more frequently than just a straight red

6 yellows in that first game, someone got two...5 in the second game + a straight red.

Looks like he likes to throw around cards

some of the Euro refs are higher

Webb gives out 4 cards per game and a red every 5
Kassai 4.37 and a red every 6 games
Cakir 4.1 and a red every 5 games
Rizzoli 3.93 and a red every 7
Brych 3.45 but highest on the reds (0.23 per game)

ya its great, site is kind of hard to navigate but if you just google the refs name + World referee the stats should come up as the 1st link

A Japanese ref & linesmen are tailor-made for Brazil. Japs culturally are senstitive about being deferential to their hosts/to those hosting them, and I bet (figuratively speaking, possibly literally: latter yet to be decided) there'll exist in Mr. Nishimura & his assistants the subconscious desire to please the home nation hosts. I'd expect this to take the form of 50-50 calls going the Blue & Gold way, a la being as strict as possible on Croatian off-sides as opposed to letting Brazil have any leeway that be possibly given them. Not that Brazil needs help beating Croatia, but big upsets in WC opening games aren't unknown. Those tasked with ref assignments knew exactly what they were doing here from my pov.

A Japanese ref & linesmen are tailor-made for Brazil. Japs culturally are senstitive about being deferential to their hosts/to those hosting them, and I bet (figuratively speaking, possibly literally: latter yet to be decided) there'll exist in Mr. Nishimura & his assistants the subconscious desire to please the home nation hosts. I'd expect this to take the form of 50-50 calls going the Blue & Gold way, a la being as strict as possible on Croatian off-sides as opposed to letting Brazil have any leeway that be possibly given them. Not that Brazil needs help beating Croatia, but big upsets in WC opening games aren't unknown. Those tasked with ref assignments knew exactly what they were doing here from my pov.
Pretty much spot on.. Good stuff bc

Pretty much spot on.. Good stuff bc

Only just saw the highlights. A BS penalty in favour of the home team broke a 1-1 deadlock. Do not colour me shocked, lol.

Furious Croatia coach Niko Kovac blamed ''out of his depth'' referee Yuichi Nishimura and warned the World Cup could turn into a circus after a contentious penalty decision effectively cost his team the opening game of the tournament against Brazil.

Japanese referee Nishimura ruled that Croatia's Dejan Lovren had fouled Fred when the Brazilian fell to the floor at 1-1 with 20 minutes remaining and the score at 1-1.

Neymar converted the penalty for his second goal of the game and they went on to win 3-1 in the Group A match.

''This was ridiculous today, and if we continue in this way we will have a circus,'' Kovac told a news conference dominated by questions about the penalty.

''If that's a penalty, we don't need to play football any more. Let's play basketball instead.

''The lads played their hearts out, but that was outright thuggery by a referee who was just out of his depth for a game of this magnitude.''

Kovac, who said his team deserved at least a draw from a match played at a packed Corinthians arena in Sao Paulo, also felt Oscar's third goal near the end of the game should not have been allowed due to a foul earlier in the move.

''Was there a foul on my player? Yes. It was a foul. But that's life. We will march on. We will not be swayed.''

Kovac, stony-faced yet calm, praised his team, which took the lead in the 11th minute after an own goal by Marcelo, and had several scoring chances during the rest of the match.

''My lads have fought for two years to reach the World Cup. They worked hard, prepared, and then they were faced with such a penalty decision here. You can imagine walking into our dressing room - what kind of mood my lads are in.''

Kovac said he did not blame Fred for his theatrical fall.

''The referee was well-placed, he was not unsighted, he saw everything and he took that decision,'' he said.

''I don't blame Fred at all.''

Croatia's fans were also furious with the Japanese official.

''I'll never eat sushi again,'' said Goran, a Croatian fan who attended the game as he ate dinner afterward.
''I guess the world was against us today.''

Despite the setback, Kovac said he remained confident his team could progress from the group. They play Cameroon in the hot and humid Amazon city of Manaus on June 18 and Mexico in Recife five days later.

''I am optimistic,'' he told Croatian television.

''Naturally the lads are a bit down after this, but we will be up again as soon as we've had something to eat. We just have to make our way into the knockout stages because we are definitely good enough.''

Kovac said he looked forward to welcoming back Mario Mandzukic into the team for the next two games, after he was suspended for the opening encounter.

Last edited:

i love BC (no not BBC you weirdos)

You're too kind, good sir.

------

My almost completely uninformed 2 cents on the Mexico/Cameroon match:

what I know of Mexico comes from having dealt with both their matches vs. New Zealand's All Whites squad when they battled for this WC place. Before these 2 home & home matches were played, the talk was Mexico's defense was shoddy/iffy, but NZ's problems on offensive would leave them unable to expose this Mexican weakness, so Mexico was expected to qualify in a couple of low scorers. That Mexico won both games is no surprise, but the fact NZ scored 3 total goals while conceding 9 (losing 5-1 & 4-2) was. NZ sucked, full stop. Nothing like the side that made the 2010 WC (hence why the coach of both those teams retired to avoid getting sacked after the '14 qualification failure). From where I sit, I wouldn't personally bet a Mexico under. They can score & can't be trusted to keep a clean sheet (not when NZ is scoring multiple goals against them). Maybe Cameroon sucks so much they're not expected to score, but their O can't be worse than what the All Whites was.

played Greece +0.5 (+100). Love their defensive strategy and think they could win if not draw here and an even-money play is worth it to me as I try to settle in

played Greece +0.5 (+100). Love their defensive strategy and think they could win if not draw here and an even-money play is worth it to me as I try to settle in

Like the fact that they're a veteran-laiden squad as well. With ya on the +0.5, GL to us.

Anyone know anything about Iran, I want to play them but really can't name a player on their team. Wasn't very impressed by Nigeria when I watched them

Did a bit of back ground digging into past WC tournaments to see if anything could be gleened from the historical stats in relation to the high nature of the goal scoring so far in this Cup.

So, the basic table as things currently stand -

[TABLE="class: cms_table_wikitable cms_table_sortable cms_table_jquery-tablesorter"]
[TR]
[TH="class: cms_table_headerSort"]Year
[/TH]
[TH="class: cms_table_headerSort"]Teams
[/TH]
[TH="class: cms_table_headerSort"]Matches
[/TH]
[TH="class: cms_table_headerSort"]Goals
[/TH]
[TH="class: cms_table_headerSort"]Top scorer
[/TH]
[TH="class: cms_table_headerSort"]Average goals
[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1930
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]13
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]18
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]70
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3.89
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1934
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]16
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]17
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]70
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]5
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4.12
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1938
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]15
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]18
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]84
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]7
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4.67
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1950
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]15
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]22
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]88
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]9
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4.00
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1954
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]26
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]140
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]11
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]5.38
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1958
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]35
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]126
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]13
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3.60
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1962
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]32
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]89
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.78
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1966
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]89
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]9
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1970
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]95
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]10
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.97
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1974
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]38
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]97
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]7
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.55
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1978
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]38
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]102
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]6
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.68
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1982
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]24
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]52
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]146
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.81
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1986
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]132
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.54
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1990
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]115
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.21
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1994
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]141
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.71
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1998
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]64
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]171
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.67
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2002
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]161
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.52
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2006
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]147
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.30
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2010
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]145
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.27
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2014
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]11
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]37
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3.36
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

1962 is essentially the start of the modern format (Group play involving 6 matches with tiebreaker rules deciding which teams go through if equal on competition points). Since that time, only 3 WC have averaged less than 2.52 goals/game: 1990, 2006 & 2010: 2 European venues & the first ever Cup held on the African continent. The non-Euro/non-African venues have usually averaged healthy totals, so what's happening now as related to that historic fact is nothing out of the normal (Mexico's 2.97 from 1970 is right in line with Brazil's current number, and Brazil still has the 16 usually lower averaging knockout matches to come yet).

Here I want to go further and cut out the knockout matches, because until recently, there were regular changes to the Cup format once the initial group stages were done with. So here is a table for the modern era ('62 onwards) averages for the group matches alone -

[TABLE="class: cms_table_wikitable cms_table_sortable cms_table_jquery-tablesorter"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Year
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]# of groups
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Average goals
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Lowest scoring group
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1962
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]11 goals
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1966
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.42
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]9 goals
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1970
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.54
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]6 goals
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1974
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.62
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1978
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.50
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]8 goals
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1982
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1986
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.33
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1990
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.28
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]7 goals
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1994
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.58
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1998
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.62
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]11 goals
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2002
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2006
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.44
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]10 goals
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2010
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]2.10
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

The first thing to note is that not one single Cup in the "modern group era" has avoided one particular group averaging less than 2.00 gpg (2010 is the only Cup to have had three groups average less than 2.00 gpg). Since every Cup seems to throw up at least one very low scoring group, given we've yet to see every group play a game (as of the point which I make this post), it could well be that we see this group make ityself known, which will have obvious and immediate negative consequences on this Cup's current overall gpg average.

The second thing to note is that in the "modern knockout era" (8-4-2-final & 3v4 playoff, which first appeared in '86), European venues have averaged 2.46 gpg for the group stages vs. non-European/non-African venues having averaged 2.56 gpg. That this Brazilian Cup so far is averaging a decent amount of goals for the group stage of a Cup using the 8-4-2-2 knockout phase is in keeping with past higher non-Euro/non-African group averages (those bolded).

I think if, as usual, the lowest scoring group (sub-2.00 gpg) makes itself known & the knockout matches deliver their expect sub-3.00 gpg average, then the current gpg average will make the dip we expect to happen, but there's no reason to think it can't - as a non-Euro/non-African venue - deliver a final number anywhere between 2.70 & 3.00 gpg. The last 2 cups treated us harshly scoring wise. What's going on now is, as much as anything, a correction.

Last edited:
I'll post some stats related to the 2nd round of the group stage later on, but for those who, like myself, missed this take on FIFA the first time round...

[video=youtube;DlJEt2KU33I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I[/video]

I think if, as usual, the lowest scoring group (sub-2.00 gpg) makes itself known & the knockout matches deliver their expect sub-3.00 gpg average, then the current gpg average will make the dip we expect to happen, but there's no reason to think it can't - as a non-Euro/non-African venue - deliver a final number anywhere between 2.70 & 3.00 gpg. The last 2 cups treated us harshly scoring wise. What's going on now is, as much as anything, a correction.

In the week since that comment, things have gone pretty much as I think were widely expected.

The 1st round of (16) group games had a 3.06 gpg avg., where the 2nd round's current 13 games have delivered a 2.77 gpg avg., for an overall avg. of 2.93 gpg. Just to repeat, Mexico in 1970 has the highest avg. (@2.97 gpg) of a modern era WC.

Some things to highlight as we've gotten deeper, and teams have become more specifically aware variously of what they've got to do to qualify or become aware they've little-to-no hope of qualifying.

1st Half results
1st Round ... 2nd Round
Favs: 6 ..... Favs: 2
Dogs: 4 ..... Dogs: 4
Draw: 6 ..... Draw: 7

2nd Half results
1st Round ... 2nd Round
Favs: 9 ..... Favs: 5
Dogs: 3 ..... Dogs: 0
Draw: 4..... Draw: 8

AllHalf results combined
1st Round ... 2nd Round
Favs: 15 ...... Favs: 7
Dogs: 7 ...... Dogs: 4
Draw: 10 ..... Draw: 15

Looking at these results (keeping in mind there's still 3 games to go in the 2nd round):

1st halves
Biggest change from the 1st to 2nd round is the favs have traded leading at half-time to finding themselves settling for drawn situations.

2nd halves
The outstanding stat here is that not a single dog has won a 2nd half so far in a 2nd round game (USA! USA? USA). But the favs haven't been taking up the slack, with their rate for winning 2nd halves dropping off as well (38.4% vs. 56.2% in the 1st Rd). 2nd half draws have killed it to a greater degree that in any other 1st or 2nd Rd half so far. And of course 2nd half draws mean the result @half-time has cemented itself as the full-time result.

(FTR - no dog has actually won a 2nd half going back 22 games. Italy over England was the last dog to do so, and hindsight tells us Italy shouldn't have been the dogged for that game. Costa Rica putting 3 past Uruguay was the last "real" dog to win a 2nd half, and that match took place early on day 3.)

Overall
Both favs & dogs fortunes re winning either particular half have given way in some force to drawn efforts ruling the day.

-----

As far as some other trends go -

In the first 5 days of the tournament (14 games), there were 7 games with a goal or goals scored before before the 20th minute, and 9 games with a goal or goals scored after the 77th minute. Those 14 games went 12-2 to Over, averaging 3.14 gpg.

Over the last 5 days (15 games), there have been 2 games with a goal or goals scored before the 20th minute, and 4 games with a goal/goals scored after the 77th minute. These 15 games have gone 8-7 to Over, averaging 2.73 gpg.

-----

In the first 12 games of the tournament, 7 teams managed to tally at least 3 goals in a game. These 12 games averaged 3.42 gpg.

Over the last 17 games, only 3 teams have managed to tally at least 3 goals in a game. These 17 games have averaged 2.59 gpg.

It's here where we really identify why this tourament is slipping back into a "normal" scoring rate. It wasn't that scoring was up all across the board (9 teams in those first 12 games still scored 1 goal or less), but rather that some teams in particular (one immediately thinks of Holland over Spain) were knocking them in at a very healthy rate. This 2.59 figure is right in the ballpark of what 7 of the last 8 World Cups averaged prior to the 2006 WC.

-----

Favourites scoring first have tallied 11 wins, 2 losses & 1 draw.

Dogs scoring first have tallied 6 wins, 5 losses & 1 draw.

One thing that rarely changes in football is the first scoring teams chances of losing. It's always been low, it'll always remain low. So as I look at the numbers above, it strikes me that the dog rate for losing SU after scoring first is quite high. I'd certainly expect the dog's numbers to represent more draws than losses upon scoring first than they currently do. That's the most anomalistic stat for this category at this point in the Cup.

Last edited:
This would explain the bizarre punch to the back right in front of the ref

http://www.emirates247.com/sports/fifa-world-cup-brazil-2014/cameroon-fa-to-probe-world-cup-match-fixing-claim-2014-07-01-1.554909

"A statement on the Cameroon Football Federation's (FECAFOOT) official Facebook page said the body's Ethics Committee would lead the investigation.

It followed a report in Germany which claimed a Singaporean match-fixer had accurately predicted the scoreline before Cameroon's 4-0 thrashing by Croatia in Group A on June 18.

The report said the match-fixer had also predicted that a Cameroon player would be sent off in the first half."

Post from blankets.

Back